Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tears ❯ Trauma ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Tears: Chapter 4

Washu sat in the cave, holding her daughter, crying her heart out. Ryoko, her beautiful child, had been brutally raped by two men. What no one else in the family knew was that Ryoko was a virgin. Everyone assumed that Ryoko had had sex before because of the way she acted, but it was just that, an act. Kagato had never molested her, even after her body had matured. He thought physical pleasure beneath him, and also he had far more effective means of degrading her. Kagato had basically raped her mind, which in many ways was even worse. He called her defective and treated her like an expendable machine. Every time she rebelled, he would take control of her mind and crush what little free will she had. By the time she was grown, her mind was broken and she was a little more than a child in mental and emotional developement. Only after she astrally projected herself and saw life for the first time did her mind begin to catch up with her body.

When Ryoko had been released, she had acted like she did because she was exploring her own sexuality. While growing up, her only companion had been Ryo-ohki. Their relationship was a bonding of souls, but they were mainly occupied with comforting each other while under Kagato's control. She had no social skills, so she had to learn by trial and error. While Washu found Tenchi's denseness exasperating at times, she was glad he never took advantage of Ryoko. Ryoko was still very much a child back then, and was nowhere near ready to deal with sex.

As Ryoko learned what it meant to be free, she realized just how much had been stolen from her. Her mother, her childhood, her very dignity as a person, all had been denied her. Her virginity was the last shred of innocence left to her. Ryoko had wanted her first time to be special, to be able to give of herself freely and not be treated like chattel. Now this had also been taken away from her and Washu didn't know how Ryoko would handle it when she recovered. She had matured quite a bit since her release, but because Kagato had abused and degraded her for so long, Ryoko only recently believed in her own worth. Washu prayed that her daughter would have the strength to deal with this once she recovered from her present state.

Washu felt Minagi's hand on her shoulder. Minagi had never seen Washu so devastated. She hadn't seen the medical report, but clearly something horrible had happened to Ryoko, something more than being trapped in the darkness. "Mom, we need to get Ryoko to the lab. Surely you can help her better there. Also, Kiyone and Mihoshi might need our help with those men.", Minagi said. The last statement got Washu's attention. All the raiders had been captured, and the men who did this to Ryoko had to have been caught in the first sweep. The three who held Mayuka and Ryo-ohki hostage hadn't taken Ryoko, so that meant they were already in the holding cells. Calling up Ryo-ohki's memory, she had the holocomp compare the image with men in the cells. Immediately a match was found and Washu knew in her heart that these were the ones who had raped her daughter. The cells weren't equipped to do a genetic scan, but these two were the only ones who were with Ryoko.

Washu almost killed them right there. It would be so easy, one simple push and the two would reduced to mere atoms in an instant. Her finger hovered over the button, but in the end, she couldn't. She wasn't a murderer and killing them would make her just like Kagato. Also, Ryoko deserved the chance to confront the men. Taking several deep breaths to calm herself, Washu created a floating medical unit. Gently, she lay Ryoko in the bed and covered her with several blankets. Once she was secured and the unit was monitoring her, Washu and Minagi headed back to lab with her. Throughout the trip, Ryoko showed no sign of awareness, and only the unit's display showed she was alive.

It was evening by the time they reached the house. Barely half a day had passed since the initial assault, but it seemed like ages. Once inside the lab, Washu moved Ryoko into a regular bed and setup several monitors. All of the equipment was linked to her holocomp, so if any change in Ryoko's condition occurred, Washu would be immediately notified. She then joined Kiyone and Mihoshi in caring for the children. Ryo-ohki had calmed down and was now eating a carrot while Kiyone praised her for her bravery and taking care of May. Mihoshi had finished giving Mayuka a proper meal, and was now changing her. She was worried about the rash Mayuka had from having to wear a diaper for so long, but after examining May, Washu was able to cure it easily. Mayuka was extremely tired by now, and needed her mother's presence.

Seeing how tired May was, Washu lay her on Ryoko's shoulder. She then positioned Ryoko's arms so Ryoko was cradling Mayuka. May soon fell asleep, happy to have her mother back. Washu then put a light blanket over the infant and headed to the holding cells. She had to unlock the cells holding the original four, including her daughter's rapists. Roberts and the two other men had already been handcuffed and charged with criminal threatening, conspiracy and kidnapping. Washu first released the other two shooters. "Please state your names for the record", Kiyone said. "Yoshinaka Hosakawa","Kenshin Takeda" replied the two men. "You are under arrest for conspiracy and assault upon a citizen of the Galactic Union. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say may be used against you at the trial. You have the right to request an attorney. If you have no money, a public defender will be assigned", Kiyone formally stated as Mihoshi handcuffed them. They were then led to the shuttle, where Mihoshi secured them in the brig.

Washu found herself shaking as she opened the cells holding Jackson and Malone. Here were the men who had raped her daughter and then locked her in the cold darkness. She had to tell Kiyone and Mihoshi what had happened to Ryoko, but the words were stuck like bile in her mouth. As Kiyone charged them with felony assault, kidnapping and conspiracy, the two sneered at the charges. Seeing how they acted made Washu's temper flare and gave her the strength to confront them with their perfidy. "Kiyone wait, there's another charge that I want brought against these two.", Washu spat out. Kiyone and Mihoshi both looked at Washu, while Jackson and Malone became distinctly uneasy. In a cold, deadly voice Washu said,"These monsters RAPED MY DAUGHTER!! I want them to PAY for what they've done to my baby".

All three women looked at Washu in disbelief. It couldn't be true, but one look at Washu's face and the two men's reaction convinced them. Barely controlling herself, Kiyone faced the two. "Harold Jackson, James Malone you are each charged with aggravated sexual assault, commonly known as rape, of Ryoko Hakubi. Mihoshi lock them up with the others, I'll be along shortly. Minagi, go with her.", Kiyone said. After they left, Kiyone then turned to Washu. "Washu, I have to examine and photograph Ryoko. I don't doubt your equipment, but any defense lawyer worth his salt will say that any information from just your scans will be biased. An independent scan that has been logged into evidence will make sure there's no chance of overturning on appeal.", she stated. Washu agreed, but the thought of Ryoko's condition being exposed like this made her stomach turn.

Washu led Kiyone to Ryoko's bed. Kiyone's jaw dropped at the vacant expression on Ryoko's face. It was Ryoko's eyes that truly shook her though. Her eyes had always been full of life and passion, but now they were dull and empty. Picking Mayuka up, Washu motioned for Kiyone to proceed. Her gorge rose at the still visible bruises on Ryoko, but Kiyone ruthlessly clamped down on her emotions. She had a job to do, and it would do no good to lose control now. Opening a channel with Yukinojo, Kiyone then started to gather evidence.

First, she started with the basics. She entered Ryoko's stats, the time, both local and Galactic, and place. She then stated the purpose of the examination and the specific charges that any evidence found would be used for. She then had Yukinojo verify that the sensors in her watch were working properly. Upon verification, Kiyone ran several scans. An external scan, both full body and enlarged area of the bruising, was first. Next, an internal scan was performed and all information was logged in and locked under a secure passworded file. This file would only be opened in the presence of both the prosecution and defense lawyers, thus preserving the integrity of the evidence.

Washu then handed over the bloody towel. After scanning the blood and semen on it, the towel was then sealed in a evidence bag. It would be made available to the defense for their own analysis. Finally, Kiyone obtained several swabs from Ryoko. These too were scanned and then sealed in evidence bags. Once she was finished and Ryoko was covered up once more, Kiyone barely had time to grab a trashcan before she threw up. Both she and Mihoshi had done this to other rape victims in the course of their jobs, but never did they expect to have it happen to a member of their family. The Masaki home had been a sanctuary against the sometimes brutal nature of their jobs, and now that sanctuary had been violated.

Kiyone remembered when she had been rescued by Ryoko. Once she got over the initial shock at meeting the infamous pirate, she had asked Ryoko how she avoided capture for the past 700 years. Ryoko had given her a terse account of her imprisonment, release and subsequent pardon by Jurai and the Galactic Union. Kiyone had noted Ryoko's avoidance of how she was imprisoned, but held her peace. They had gone to Central so that Kiyone could let the GP know she was indeed alive and start the process of rebuilding her life. Once there she had looked up Ryoko's file. While Captain Nobeyama had censored the information about Jurai's secrets, the details of Ryoko's imprisonment had been left unedited.

Kiyone was horrified at what she read. To her thinking, Yosho had violated Ryoko's civil rights and acted like a vigilante. She had never been given the benefit of a fair trial and been locked in a prison that was worse than the Supermax for galaxy's worst criminals. It went against all the reasons Kiyone joined the Galaxy Police and the rule of law that she had sworn an oath to uphold and protect. When she had confronted Ryoko with this, Ryoko had bitterly replied,"It was nothing less than what I deserved, Kiyone. I was a monster back then and had to be stopped."

"Yes Yosho locked me in that hellhole for 700 years, but he also gave me Tenchi. For me, the scales were balanced when Tenchi killed that bastard Kagato and freed me forever. Now for the first time in my entire life, I have a place that I can call home. I even have my mother back, though we don't get along. What good would it do to bring charges against Yosho? Can those lost years be given back or all the pain I've been through taken away? No, it would just destroy the only peace and happiness that I've ever known. I'll never be locked away in that place again, so the subject is closed as far as I'm concerned."

Kiyone hadn't brought it up again, but she was determined to get an answer from Yosho. When they arrived on Earth, it had been awhile before she could talk to him. First, there had been the emotional reunion with Mihoshi and then the integration into the Masaki houshold. Finally, she had managed to see Yosho privately in the shrine office. Yosho had offered her some green tea and inquired what was on her mind. "Prince Yosho, I find your method of imprisoning Ryoko to be reprehensible. If it were up to me, I'd have you arrested and brought up on charges for such a blatant violation of her rights. However, Ryoko has stated that she has no wish to pursue such charges, so for now my hands are tied.", Kiyone said.

She had expected him to protest, or even deny such an accusation. Instead, he looked away in shame, unable to face her. The horror of what happened to Ryoko in the cave had haunted him for years. He had thought she would stay asleep, but she had woken up only a couple of days after he sealed the cave. Now he was being confronted with his sins and honor demanded he answer for them. Facing her once more, Yosho replied,"Officer Makibi, I have had to live with what happened for 700 years now. I can never make restitution to her, but I have tried by giving her a home and her first real friend, my grandson Tenchi. Let me tell the whole story, so you can decide for yourself."

"Even before she attacked Jurai, it had been suspected her power was related to Jurai's. When Ryoko was able to penetrate our defenses with such ease, our suspicions were confirmed. Though she was a serious threat, Tsunami forbade her death. She would only say that Ryoko and Ryo-ohki weren't responsible for their actions. I managed to drive her off and then chased her, to stop her once and for all. We ended up over the Earth, where Funaho shot Ryo-ohki down. Funaho was also injured, but could still fly, so I was able to land. Ryoko attacked the second I left the ship. I don't know how long we fought, but our battle was the stuff of legend."

"As we fought, I noticed something odd. For someone as powerful and skilled as she was, Ryoko wasn't as focused as she should have been. Any change of tactics caused her to go on the defensive, with almost no counterattack. In the end, I was able to use this against her, and stabbed her in the throat. Immediately, Tenchiken drew her gems into itself, while Ryoko screamed and struggled. As the last gem was taken, she went limp and her eyes cleared. Just before she fell unconscious, I looked into her eyes and saw not a monster, but a frightened child. Ryo-ohki then cried like a child as well. I had Funaho try and communicate with Ryo-ohki, and to our surprise, she talked. She told us that they were both forced by Kagato to attack Jurai in order to steal Tsunami. Ryo-ohki then showed us images of Ryoko's life under Kagato and begged us not to kill her soulmate."

"I was sickened by what I saw, and understood why Tsunami didn't want Ryoko killed, though how Tsunami knew was a mystery. Ryo-ohki then told us that Kagato would come after them and punish them for their failure. I came to a decision then and told Ryo-ohki I would do what I could to protect them. First, I had Funaho keep Ryoko asleep while I found a more permanent solution. There was a nearby cave with a larger cavern inside that would shield her from Kagato's scans. I carved out a pool in the larger cavern and cut channels in the floor that would dissipate any energy scans directed at it. Once the cave was prepared, I sealed Ryoko inside and used Tenchiken to insure that she received only enough energy to sustain her life. I wanted her to sleep for the next 700 years, the time it would take for the arrest warrants to expire. Funaho then convinced Ryo-ohki to sleep until she heard her mistress once more."

"I then rested and waited for Funaho to recover from the battle. Originally, I was going to return to Jurai long enough to make my report and then give up my position of Crown Prince. That changed when a few days later, Funaho reported that Ryoko had awoken. Her screams were like nothing I had heard or have ever heard since. I couldn't release her because that would expose her to Kagato's scans. Ryoko had been unjustly condenmed to spend the next 700 years in complete darkness and isolation because of me. I sat in front of the cave numb to world, the horror of what I'd done overwhelming me. Some people from the nearby village who had come to investigate found me and took me back with them."

"I was put in the care of the local priest. Slowly, he healed my broken spirit. Eventually, he got me to talk about what happened. I told him that I'd fought a demon and locked her in the cave. He seemed to accept my story and asked what I planned to do. By this time I had fallen in love with his daughter, and I asked him if I might stay and become a priest. He agreed and in time I married his daughter and started using my mother's family name. I no longer considered myself worthy of the Jurai name. I then let Funaho take root in the pond, and vowed I would live the rest of my life on Earth. Ayeka's Ryu-oh appeared in solar system about then. She had followed my trail when I didn't return, and put herself in suspended animation. Sasami had come with her, and also was in suspended animation. Tsunami also showed up, looking for Ryoko."

"Tsunami grieved when she heard what had happened. While she didn't agree with my decision to live on Earth, neither did she hold it against me. She went into hiding, waiting for the day of Ryoko's release. I acquired the land around the cave and built the Masaki shrine. I believed that I would have the lifespan of a human without the Water of Jurai and was very surprised when I aged slowly. Funaho still had power to keep me young, evidently. I attributed it to Tsunami's influence and took steps to prevent people from noticing my extended life. I changed my name many times and created records that passed ownership of the shrine to each new name."

"I kept watch over Ryoko's cave to insure she wasn't accidentally released. Had she escaped before those warrants expired, she would been hunted down and never given a chance at life. She had stopped screaming, but I knew she was still in agony. Then about 150 years ago, Funaho reported an energy surge. Somehow, Ryoko had used the energy alloted her by Tenchiken to create a replica gem. While not powerful enough to break the seal, it did allow Ryoko to project her astral form and see and hear the outside world. I visited the cave several times at first to see how she was doing. She spent her time watching the world around her, seeing life for the first time without Kagato's influence. While I could see her and hear her, I didn't acknowledge her presence. I was too ashamed to face her and ask forgiveness."

"When Tenchi was born, I could feel his power even then. I knew that this was the person who could succeed me as Crown Prince. A few months later, Achika told me that he had looked at the cave as if he saw someone, even though no one was there. He could see Ryoko even as a baby. As he grew up, he would play in front of the cave and tell Achika about the lady who was his playmate. Achika thought it was Tenchi's imagination, but I knew the truth. Ryoko had found out what it meant to have a friend and was beginning to grow up."

"Achika's death was a crushing blow to Tenchi. He ran out of the house when he received the news. Hours later, I found him in front of the cave. He had cried himself to sleep, and Ryoko was next to him trying to comfort him. I see it in her eyes that she truly cared about him. I picked Tenchi up and looked directly at her. She was shocked when I thanked her for watching over him. I decided then that Tenchi would be the one who would set her free."

"He lost the ability to see Ryoko after Achika's death. I kept him interested in the cave by forbidding him to enter it and telling stories of the demon that slept inside. Like any child, the more I forbade him from going to cave, the more he went just to see what was in there. I also began teaching him how use a sword. He would need to be able to use Tenchiken when Kagato came looking for her. Ryoko wasn't strong enough to resist Kagato's mind control and would need a protector."

"I made a mistake the day of her release. I let Tenchi think he had managed to take the keys to cave. He immediately unlocked the door and discovered Tenchiken. Funaho then told me the seal was broken and Ryoko's power level had increased. Shortly afterward, Tenchi came running back, looking like he'd seen a monster. I sensed Ryoko leaving the cave, but she didn't do anything afterward. What I'd failed to consider was the effect prolonged projection would have on her body. Had I gone into the cave with Tenchi, I could have made him stay in the cave long enough for Ryoko to show she meant him no harm. Instead, she was hurt by Tenchi running away. She took her anger out on him and his school, but he managed to defeat her. I later heard that she showed up in his bed, which I found rather amusing."

"After Ayeka showed up and they moved the house next to the shrine, I kept a close eye on Ryoko. I needed to know what her mental state was, and was she a danger to herself or others? Her actions and words gave me hope. While she avoided chores, teased Ayeka unmercifully, and chased Tenchi at every oppurtunity, she never tried to hurt anyone. She let Sasami have the reborn Ryo-ohki as a playmate, only used a fraction of her strength and power while fighting with Ayeka, and did try to behave herself. What I didn't count on was Ayeka falling in love with Tenchi as well. I was worried at first, but my fears were set at ease when I watched her trying to win Tenchi's heart. The court rituals that she had learned had no meaning to him, and her temper could be just as vile as Ryoko's. This meant she was on equal footing with Ryoko, and I settled back to watch the show."

"Kagato's appearance was much sooner than I expected. When he managed to defeat Tenchi and take control of Ryoko, I was forced to reveal myself. You've read the report, so you know what happened next. When they came back with Washu, I was amazed to learn she was Ryoko's mother. I thought she would be able to help Ryoko at first, but I soon discovered that Washu had serious emotional problems of her own. A wide rift developed between them, and I feared that it would never heal. Babysitting Taro was what started healing the rift. Later, Washu's explanation of how she created Ryoko and Ryo-ohki solved the mystery of why Ryoko had woken up. The Masu that were bonded to her had provided a separate source of energy, and incredible powers of regeneration. Ryo-ohki possesed the same power, but she was able to control her power level so Kagato hadn't been able to detect her. I kept my own power quiet, which is why Ayeka couldn't find me when she arrived on Earth. Ryoko had no knowledge or free will to be able to do this, so Kagato would have been able to find her had the cave not shielded her. He had used Ryoko to control Ryo-ohki, so he had never really bothered to break Ryo-ohki's will."

"Recently, Ryoko has stopped her fighting with Ayeka. She's finally learned that Tenchi cares about her, but is not interested making a committment just yet. Also, I think that she's grown out of the pointless bickering and arguing. Her trips into space have been to see the universe as her own person, not as Kagato's slave. Now that I've told you everything, I hope you can understand why I've let Tenchi deal with Ryoko. I've caused her enough harm, and can never ask her to forgive me.", Yosho said as he finished his tale.

Kiyone hadn't spoken during Yosho's story. While he had locked her in the cave, it was clear that he had tried to look after her welfare. However, he had also kept her sealed away even though she was awake. At the very least, he could have faced Ryoko when she had projected herself. Coming to a decision, Kiyone replied,"Prince Yosho, what you did was still wrong, even if it was done to protect her. Leaving her awake in the darkness was psychological torture of the worst kind. Not talking to her after she was able to leave the cave in spirit merely added to the cruelty. You should have released her and contacted the Galaxy Police. We could have found a better solution, one that would have treated her with dignity and respect. I can't arrest you, but I hope that you someday pay for what you have done.".

She then got up and headed toward the door. As she was about to leave, Yosho spoke once more. In a much younger voice, he said,"Kiyone, I have paid for my crimes.". Spinning around, she saw that Yosho was now a young man, with no hint of old age. Seeing her expression, Yosho explained,"I didn't tell you the whole truth. It wasn't Tsunami's power that has kept me and Funaho alive, but Ryoko's gems. So long as those gems remain in Tenchiken, I will stay as young as you see me and Funaho will keep her power. On the day Ryoko reclaims the other two gems, I will become mortal and will begin to die. What will happen neither I nor Funaho know exactly. Either the years will catch up all at once and we will both die, or I will age like a normal human and Funaho will become an ordinary tree. Until then, I live on borrowed time. My mother is the only other person who knows this. I ask that you not reveal what I've shown you, as I don't want Ryoko or Tenchi thinking that they must keep her gems in Tenchiken. Those gems are her birthright, and should be returned when she is ready to reclaim them. "

Kiyone had agreed to Yosho's request. Now Ryoko had been locked once more in that hellish place, and it had caused her mind to retreat deep into itself. This time however, Kiyone would see to it the law was followed. Ryoko had been unjustly declared one of the galaxy's most wanted criminals and she had never really trusted or believed in the law after her pardon. She still unconsciously flinched whenever she saw a police uniform. Ryoko would most likely would want revenge upon the two men who had raped her and locked her in the cave. This couldn't be allowed, it would only make matters worse. She had to be shown that the law applied to all. No matter what, Jackson and Malone had to be tried and convicted in a court of law. Otherwise, Ryoko would always believe she had no rights, no value as a person.

Everyone went into the kitchen where Washu prepared a meal. While no one was very hungry, they needed this bit of normalcy to help cope with everything that had happened. After eating, everyone was ready for bed when the holocomp's alarm went off. Immediately, they all rushed to Ryoko's bedside. Ryoko's eyes had closed and her face had a calm expression on it. Washu tried to wake her, but had no luck. The link was still quiet and there was no activity on her conscious level, only her subconscious. Still, Washu felt her first real glimmer of hope. On some deep level, Ryoko knew she was safe. Now it was only a matter of finding a way to bring her out of her present state.

The next morning, they all had a discussion about what to do. After a heated argument, Washu was persuaded to take Ryoko to Galaxy Police Seventh Headquarters for medical treatment. Mihoshi pointed out that Ryoko's condition had to be independently verified in order to build a complete case against the attackers. Kiyone also told Washu that as Ryoko's mother, she couldn't maintain the objectivity needed to help her daughter. Healing the mind was far different from healing the body, which Washu had done on numerous occasions for all of them. While in transit, Kiyone would contact Jurai. Because Earth was a Juraian Protectorate, the Royal Family and the Council had to be involved. The raiders would be processed and brought before a grand jury. Both GP's dreaded what would happen when the media found out. The trial had the potential of turning into a circus, given Ryoko's reputation and the charges against the men.

While in transit to HQ, Kiyone ran into a problem. One of the peculiarities of Jurai's government was the fact so many of the beauracrats were related in someway to the Royal Family. The result of this was the fact important posts often went to someone who had connections, not someone who actually qualified for the job. The person on duty when Kiyone called was one such example. A minor noble with an over-inflated sense of self importance, he considered people who weren't of noble blood to be low priority. The fact that Kiyone was one of the Galaxy Police liasons to the Crown Prince and Princess of Jurai and had every right to demand access to the Royal Family escaped him. Her continued calls only succeeded in him putting a block on her transmission signal, so that other shifts were unaware of her calling. Mihoshi tried calling her grandfather for help, but he was unavailable for the next several days.

By the time they reached HQ three days later, Kiyone was boiling mad. A potential crisis was brewing, and some moron with a pea-sized brain was deliberately holding her up. Kiyone and Mihoshi were also worried about Washu. She hadn't been able to reach Ryoko through their link, no matter how hard she tried. Ryoko had awoken when they left Earth, and had settled into a pattern of waking and sleeping, but that was the only activity she displayed. She still was withdrawn from reality and needed around the clock care. Minagi helped with both Ryoko's and Mayuka's care, but it was Washu who did the majority of work. She refused to leave her daughter's side, determined to be there for Ryoko. She hardly slept or ate, and the GP's feared she was headed for a breakdown of her own.

Once they reached HQ, Ryoko was moved into the medical ward under a veil of secrecy, while the raiders were quietly booked and arraigned. Wearing Ryoko's clothes and hiding her scars, Minagi acted as a decoy. The longer the media didn't find out what was happening, the better. It was absolutely vital that Kiyone reach the Royals before GHK News blared the truth across the galaxy. She could just imagine everyone's reaction if they saw it on television. Kiyone was racking her brains on how get word to the family when she saw a newscast that the Royals would be holding an open press conference about the new Crown Prince in two days. While Yukinojo couldn't make the journey in time, Ryo-ohki could. Quickly, Kiyone formed a plan. Minagi possessed a similar link with Ryo-ohki, so she could pilot her and take Kiyone directly to Jurai. Once there, Kiyone was confident she could convince the defense Officer of the Day that she was in charge of the battleship. She would fly directly from the perimeter defenses to the courtyard where the news conference would be held and speak to Lady Funaho personally.

Minagi and Ryo-ohki immediately agreed to Kiyone's request. Mihoshi would take care of Mayuka, and start interrogation of the two rapists. Kiyone had already played the "bad cop" with them and now Mihoshi played the "good cop" of the routine. That was what it appeared to most onlookers, but in reality, their roles were reversed. A personality quirk that was left over from her child persona was Mihoshi's ability to talk endlessly with complete emotional range. She could make the toughest criminal crack and be begging to confess simply by talking on and on. Depending on the subject, she'd be crying her eyes out or giggling like some child. The best part was fact since she wasn't abusive or threatening, any confession obtained was admissable in court.

Kiyone remembered one memorable case. A real slimeball lawyer had said his client had been subject to torture and therefore his confession was inadmissable. Most defense lawyers had a sense of duty and ethics but there were some who were nothing but a blight, taking cases strictly for money or the publicity the case would generate. This lawyer fell into the latter category. Kiyone had taken great pleasure at watching him squirm while listening to the tape of Mihoshi talking. She did however sympathize with the judge who also had to listen with them. Because Mihoshi was respectful to the suspect at all times and never once denied him his basic rights, the judge was forced to admit the confession was valid. Kiyone did wonder what maggots would crawl out from the woodwork to defend the attackers, but that would have to wait until later.

Kiyone and Minagi left in Ryo-ohki that day. They flew a normal flight vector at a sedate speed, doing nothing out of the ordinary. Once beyond sensor range of HQ, Ryo-ohki went to full speed and set a direct course for Jurai. She was as worried about Ryoko and Washu as everyone else and understood time was of the essence. Kiyone was planning what to say once they met up Jurai's perimeter defenses and what needed to be done to make a case. All of the evidence gathered so far would mean nothing if was thrown out of court due to procedural errors or some other technicality. As they sped to Jurai, the three of them knew that it would be a long time before life could ever be considered normal again.


The day of the press conference started with a beautiful dawn on planet Jurai. The morning sun shone in Tenchi's room, waking him as was his custom. As he dressed, he thought about all he seen and experienced on this trip. During the flight to Jurai, Ayeka and Lady Funaho had taught him the basics of court protocol. Misaki had trained with him and Yosho in order to see for herself what his skill level was. While she admitted his swordmanship was excellent, she expressed disapproval at the paucity of his unarmed combat skills. To prove her point, she had made him attack with all kinds of weapons while she faced him unarmed. Each time, Tenchi found himself disarmed and flat on his back, the last time out cold. While she was a loving person, on the training ground Misaki was worse than a drill instructor. She was the head of the Imperial Bodyguard for a good reason, and had earned her position entirely through merit.

When he woke up, Tenchi was treated to the rare sight of his grandfather actually having the stuffing knocked out of him. Misaki was letting Yosho know what she thought of the gap in Tenchi's training in her own way. While Yosho could equal her in swordmanship, overall Misaki was the better fighter. Before she was even finished, Yosho was swearing by Tsunami that Tenchi would be brought up to speed. He had never really liked unarmed combat when he started training, but Yosho was getting a painful reminder of how those skills were just as dangerous as a sword. When Funaho walked in on their training session, all she said was that Yosho should have paid more attention to Misaki's lessons.

When they arrived on Jurai, Tenchi got to see Ayeka in a new light. She displayed a poise and self-confidence in court functions that he had never seen. Ayeka was every inch a true Princess. Regal instead of haughty, serene instead of aloof, she dealt with both servants and court functionaries in a quiet manner that was a welcome relief to those who remembered her before. Now that she had found true friendship and love, she didn't have to act so horribly towards others. More than one person had to convince themselves that this was indeed the real princess. Ayeka did wish however that Ryoko could be there to share her thoughts. She would love to see some of those court egos get deflated by Ryoko's sharp wit. As someone who had been a pirate, Ryoko would have been able to get away with telling those twits what she really thought. Also, she would have loved the fireworks and parades that marked the celebration of Startica.

Tenchi found attending the Council meetings to be less intimidating then he thought. In fact, in some ways they were down right boring. He quickly learned which members of the Council actually had a brain, and which were nothing more than sycophants after power. The Council accepted him with a certain wariness, unsure what to make of this person with such power. His introduction to the general population went much easier. Yosho had been a hero to many, and the fact Tenchi was his grandson facilitated his acceptance. Ayeka and Sasami were enthusiatically welcomed home as well. When Ayeka and Tenchi confirmed the rumor that Ryoko lived with them, the people accepted this rather well. It well known how protective Queen Misaki was of her children. Since she allowed Ryoko to stay with Ayeka and Sasami, people figured Ryoko must have indeed been Kagato's unwilling slave. If Ryoko had actually been a threat, Misaki would have done everything in her power to see her destroyed.

The purpose of the conference scheduled for today was a general question and answer session. So many rumors and half-truths were being told about the Masaki home and family that it was decided to set the record straight. Everyone was determined to see that whole truth about Ryoko was brought out as well. This was a chance for the galaxy to know what a wonderful person she truly was, and the tragic circumstances of her life. Tenchi had a very special gift planned for his daughter's birthday as well. It had taken a lot of persuasion of the Royal Council, but in the end, Ryoko had been legally declared Mayuka's mother. No matter who he chose, Ryoko would be able to raise Mayuka as her child. The Royals supported his wish, having seen the bond that existed between the two.

As Tenchi and Ayeka watched the preparations for the conference, they both wondered how Ryoko was doing. Her absence from the trip had made Ayeka and Tenchi feel like a vital part of themselves was missing. Having spent the majority of her life in more than one form of hell, Ryoko knew what was truly important to her. Her home and family, that was the only thing that mattered. Her appreciation of the simple things in life was a needed balance against the responsibilities and obligations of the Crown. They hoped that Ryoko would see the conference, and learn that she wasn't hated on Jurai like she thought she was.

A long table was setup in the courtyard, with several row of chairs in front. Funaho,Tenchi,Yosho,Ayeka, and Sasami would sit facing the reporters and cameramen. Misaki was in charge of security, and while she understood the need of the conference, she was still nervous. The thought of so many of the Royal Family in the open as a target was a bodyguard's nightmare. She had the Imperial Bodyguard out in full force, both uniformed and plainclothes. Azusa would be unable to attend, but did say he would watch what he could. Finally, all preparations were finished and the conference was ready to begin.

Funaho spoke first,"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I've called this press conference in order to introduce the new Crown Prince of Jurai, Tenchi Masaki." At this statement, Tenchi stood up so the cameras could focus on him. After allowing a minute, he sat down and let Funaho continue. "He is the grandson of Prince Yosho, who relinquished his claim to the throne some time ago. Prince Tenchi is from my homeworld of Earth, Jurai Colony 0315. This planet is a non-interference world, under the protection of Jurai and the Galaxy Police. As you may have already heard, Ryoko Hakubi, known as the Space Pirate Ryoko, currently resides in his home along with her mother, Washu Hakubi and the spaceship Ryo-ohki. Jurai's Holy Council has given them leave to reside on Earth, and Princesses Ayeka and Sasami have also resided for the past several years there as well."

Once the murmuring had subsided, Funaho then said,"Prince Tenchi was made aware of his heritage only a few years ago, so we have held off introducing him until he was ready. He has been formally acknowledged as Prince Yosho's successor and wielder of Tenchiken. Now that you have met him, we will answer questions from the floor. Please be aware that due Earth's status, only general questions about his home are allowed. The specific coordinates and questions about the people and culture of the planet are classified. I can say that he is from the same general area that I was born in."

After she finished speaking, a man in the front row raised his hand. After being acknowledged, he spoke,"Kenzo Miura, GHK News. The question I have is how did Ryoko end up living in your home and how did you learn of Kagato's control over her?". Yosho then gave a short explanation of Ryoko's capture, imprisonment and release. He left out the fact that she was awake the majority of the time, though he did say that her time in the cave had left psychic scars. Ayeka and Tenchi related Kagato's attack and his subsequent death at Tenchi's hands. No mention was made of the Lighthawk Wings, only the fact that it took Tsunami's help to defeat him.

A young woman then spoke,"Sandy Ashikaga, Juraian Post. Princess Ayeka, when you left Jurai you hated Ryoko and swore she would pay for her crimes. Now you are one of her staunchest defenders and by some sources her best friend. Could you please explain what caused such a change?". Ayeka replied,"It wasn't easy for either one of us. We didn't get along when we first met. She thought I was a spoiled brat and I thought she was a demon. The only thing we agreed on was our love for Tenchi. Those were the only times we didn't fight. Otherwise we were constantly at each others throats and ended up usually destroying part of the house. Sometimes, I wonder why Tenchi didn't throw us both out."

"Ryoko tried more than once to make friends with me at first. I refused to believe she was anything but a monster and spurned her peace offerings. Her friendship with Sasami also was hard to accept. I saw her as a bad influence on my sister, when actually Sasami was a very good influence on Ryoko. I got my first hint of Ryoko's true nature when she let Sasami have Ryo-ohki as playmate. She didn't ask for anything in return, she simply enjoyed watching the two of them play. It was only when Kagato came after Ryoko that my eyes were opened."

"I watched Kagato take control of Ryoko's mind and turn her into the monster that attacked Jurai. He took great pleasure in treating her like a toy. When we boarded Soja, I was briefly his prisoner and felt for a brief time what it must have been like for Ryoko. He tried to invade my mind, and it was only with Tsunami's help that I resisted. Ryoko was kidnapped as a child and had no such protection. Her mother Washu was imprisoned aboard Soja, so Ryoko grew up without anyone to show her love. Later, when Ryoko fought Kagato, I saw how powerful she truly was. Even with only a replica gem, she was physically more powerful than Kagato. She could have easily killed me at anytime during our fights. At one point during the battle, I was almost killed by a falling pillar. Ryoko could have just let me die, but she saved me without hesitation."

"After we got back home, I made a small gesture of friendship to her. Washu had enabled us to receive galactic broadcasts, so I showed a passion of mine to her, soap operas. She was hooked immediately, and we watched them together all the time. We still fought, but we also spent more and more time getting along with each other. The fact she had held onto her humanity while a slave to Kagato was a testament to her strength of character."

"A few years ago we both stopped fighting and actually admitted we liked each other. She proved to be a true friend, giving me advice and helping me when I had a problem. Mentally, she is about my age so I could talk to her as an equal. Recently, she has let us see what a warm and caring person she truly is. I freely admit that I was wrong about her at first, and am now proud to call her my best friend."

A large man in the back row then raised his hand,"Yoshihiro Ouchi, Jurai Herald. Princess Sasami, is it true that you do all the cooking at Prince Tenchi's house? Princess Ayeka, it is said you also do chores along with Ryoko." Sasami replied,"When we were stranded on Earth, Tenchi invited us both to stay with him. In gratitude, we helped around his house. His mother died when he was young and his father had to work long hours, so the meals tended to be quick and easy. I asked if I could try my hand at cooking and discovered I had a real talent for it. I soon took over the kitchen, and now I rule there. " Ayeka added,"I also helped around the house. One of reasons Ryoko and I also fought was while I was doing chores, she would be sleeping somewhere. I thought she was lazy and irresponsible, but I was wrong about that also. After we became friends, I found out that she had trouble sleeping at night, due to the nightmares she suffered from. Her enslavement under Kagato and imprisonment in the cave left her afraid of the dark. She simply found it easier to sleep during the day, preferably in the sunlight. Recently she has been doing more than her fair share of work."

It was at that point a guard ran up to Funaho and announced that Ryo-ohki was descending toward the planet. Sumi, the Juraian noble who had been one of the suitors for Ayeka's hand, was in charge of the defense perimeter that day. He had been very surprised when Kiyone contacted him from the ship. She convinced him that she had to speak to Lady Funaho. While Kiyone didn't give out the details, she did say Ryoko had been attacked and had suffered severe trauma. After listening to her, he had given them permission to enter Jurai and passed word to the planet. Kiyone was relieved that the person in charge had actually listened to her.

The cameras broadcast Ryo-ohki's appearance over the courtyard. A transport beam dropped a teal-haired woman in a Galaxy Police uniform first. A woman who bore an uncanny resemblance to Ryoko, but with crescent scars on her cheeks was next. Then the great ship shrunk into a small creature that ran to Sasami and jumped into her arms. She was crying piteously and everyone wondered what was wrong.

Kiyone walked over to the table, the cameras following her. Turning to face them, she said,"I am Special Agent Makibi of the Galaxy Police. I am here to speak privately with the Royal Family on an urgent matter. Please stay back until I'm finished.". Reluctantly, the reporters and cameramen backed off. All of their instincts told them that a major news story was in the air. Once she was sure she couldn't be overheard, she switched off the microphones on the table. Kiyone then asked Misaki to join them, and had Minagi insure the reporters kept their distance.

"Everyone listen up.", Kiyone said,"The house was attacked last week and Ryoko was imprisoned in the cave.". Everyone was startled by Kiyone's last sentence. They all knew the terror Ryoko had of the cave, and now she had been locked in there again. Holding up her hand for silence, she gave them a full account of what happened and Ryoko's present condition. After listening to her tale, Funaho was furious. Jurai maintained secret contact with the leaders of the major nations as well as the U.N. . They all knew that Masaki household was off-limits. Somehow, that information hadn't been passed down or else the raiders had learned the truth on their own. Either way, she would make it quite clear to the Japanese and U.S. governments that the Masaki home and shrine were Jurai territory. The raiders would face Galactic Law. Funaho was also determined that there would be no more raids of this type ever again.

Once everyone had digested the news, Kiyone gathered herself for a moment. "Tenchi, there's something else I have to tell you. Brace yourself, you are not going to want to hear this.". Tenchi looked at her, wondering what could have happened. "Ryoko was raped by the two men who locked her in the cave.", Kiyone quietly said. A universal "WHAAATT??!!" echoed across the courtyard as everyone jumped from their chairs. They couldn't believe what Kiyone said, it was too horrible to contemplate. Yet they knew Kiyone spoke the truth. Ayeka buried her face into Tenchi's arm. Ryoko was like a sister to her, and a dagger pierced her heart at Kiyone's words.

Misaki noticed the reporters watching them all. She motioned to Funaho, who realized some statement had to be made. Moving to the front of the table, she spoke to the cameras. "Everyone, a situation has developed on Earth. We must go to the Seventh Headquarters to coordinate with the Galaxy Police. A full statement will be made in one week. Until then, this conference is over.", Funaho stated.

Turning to Sasami, Funaho asked her how soon the battleship Tsunami would be ready to leave. Minagi said Ryo-ohki was willing to fly them back, but Funaho declined. Ryo-ohki had pushed herself to the limit and she was clearly exhausted. Sasami told them that Tsunami was ready to leave at anytime. Her parents still didn't know of her assimilation with Tsunami, though she was beginning to resemble Tsunami more and more. She kept the fiction that she was bonded to the First Tree mostly because she couldn't find the words to explain what happened. Upon hearing Sasami's confirmation, everyone went into the palace to make the necessary preparations for the trip.

Azusa was livid at the news. He wholeheartedly agreed with Kiyone's desire to prosecute the men under Galactic Law. Azusa issued a statement confirming that Kiyone and Mihoshi did have legal jurisdiction as liasons to Juraian Royalty. Earth was normally off limits to the Galaxy Police, due to it's non-interference status. Without this statement, defense attorneys could say that the evidence was obtained illegally and therefore not admissable. Ryoko and Ryo-ohki weren't Juraian citizens, so their case had to be tried in Galactic Court. Even though Mayuka was a Princess of Jurai, Kiyone convinced Azusa to let her kidnapping be also tried in Galactic Court. It would simplify matters to keep all the raiders in one trial.

The two day trip to Seventh Headquarters was nerve wracking for everyone. The thought of Ryoko being violated while helpless and then reduced to her present state had shaken them. Tenchi and Ayeka spent most of the journey holding eaching other, needing the physical contact to share the pain they both felt. Tenchi was also worried about how Ryoko would react to the news of her rape. Outwardly strong and devil-may-care, there was a inner fragility to her that pulled at his heart. Ayeka was the opposite, beautiful and serene with a core of steel. While they had made life more than a little exciting at first, Tenchi couldn't imagine life without either one of them. Now Ryoko might decide that she wasn't worthy of Tenchi's love. It was vital that she be reassured everyone still loved her, that she hadn't been diminished in their hearts.

Upon arrival, they all headed to the medical ward. Due to the size of their party, they were told to wait in one of the lounges while Ryoko was brought to them. About 15 minutes later, Washu and a nurse led her into the room. She was seated between Tenchi and Ayeka on the couch. They both spoke to her but got no response. Mihoshi brought Mayuka in next and handed her to Tenchi. May's presence was the only thing that had triggered any kind of response with Ryoko so far. Ryoko's face would assume a calm expression and her eyes lost much of the vacant stare whenever May was placed in her arms. Otherwise, she was still withdrawn from reality.

Yosho was unable to look at Ryoko. It was because of him that she had been so terrified of the dark. Now that fear had been used as a weapon against her, a weapon for which she had no defense. She would be in a fragile state when she recovered. When she found out about her rape, Ryoko spirit might be irrevocably shattered. How much more did she have to suffer before her nightmares were over, Yosho silently cried to himself.

Meanwhile, Funaho and Misaki were looking closely at Washu. Her eyes were too bright and blinked constantly. Her hands shook minutely and a nervous tic was in her left cheek. Misaki asked,"Washu, why don't you go lay down for awhile? We can handle things for now, and you look like you could use a rest.". In a hoarse voice, Washu replied,"I have to stay with my daughter. I've failed her too many times before and I won't fail her again.". The two queens looked at each other, their suspicions confirmed. Washu was on the verge of collapse. Sick with worry and grief over her daughter, Washu hadn't had any real rest since they left Earth. While she had pushed herself more than once while working, she still would take a break when her body demanded it. This time she kept drawing on all her reserves, refusing to admit her exhaustion.

Nodding to Funaho, Misaki put her arm around Washu and walked with her to another sofa. Funaho went to the vending machine and got a carton of milk. She opened it up and gave it to Washu. Gratefully accepting the drink, Washu downed it in one gulp. Less than a minute later, Washu managed to say "Why you?!" before she fell unconscious. The drug Funaho had slipped into the milk had done its job. Now Washu would get some much needed rest. Hopefully, when she woke up she'd realize that she wasn't doing herself or her daughter any good by pushing herself like that.

Misaki picked Washu up and carried her to one of the guest rooms that had been prepared for them. Funaho discussed Ryoko's condition with her doctor, Dr. Ami Kusunoki. The prognosis wasn't very encouraging. Unless a catharsis that would trigger her memory could be found, it would take a long time before Ryoko was brought out of her shell. Even then, she would require intensive psychiatric counseling. Several drugs that might have helped had been defeated by her physiology and they were afraid of using higher dosages. Dr. Kusunoki admitted that Ryoko might even suffer a relapse when she found out about being raped.

When Funaho asked about Ryoko testifying, she received an emphatic negative. The fact Ryoko couldn't even talk about the cave before this incident showed how deep her fear ran. As her doctor, Dr Kusunoki couldn't in good conscious allow Ryoko to be forced to talk about what happened. She would file her objections with the Galactic Court. Funaho accepted her decision, but she had misgivings. While the physical evidence was more than enough, Ryoko's testimony would provide a compelling human side. Also, the defense would most likely want to cross-examine her. Under the law, the attackers were innocent until proven guilty and had the right to face their accusers in open court.

Misaki returned from putting Washu to bed. Washu would most likely sleep for almost a day. As the mother of two daughters, Misaki could well understand what Washu was going through. She looked over at Ryoko. Tench and Ayeka were holding her hands, talking to her about their trip. Mayuka was pulling her mother's hair, trying to get her attention. She missed Ryoko's voice and didn't understand why her mother stayed silent. Sasami was talking to Ryo-ohki, telling her that her soulmate would be alright. Like Washu, Ryo-ohki couldn't hear Ryoko through their bond, and it distressed her greatly.

After several hours, Dr. Kusunoki told them visiting hours were over. Reluctantly, the family let Ryoko be taken to her room. Tenchi held onto Mayuka, telling her that they would see Mommy real soon. Funaho got everyone settled into the guest rooms while Misaki arranged for Ryoko's medical bills to be paid by the Jurai government. While Washu had her own fortune, the Royals felt they owed Ryoko this. Her terror of the cave had been the result of Yosho's actions. Now it was the responsibility of the Royal Family to see that Ryoko got the care she needed.

Once everyone was settled in, Funaho talked with the two GP's. Word was already beginning to spread now that lawyers had been assigned to the raiders. While the arraignment judge had instituted a gag order, the charges themselves were public record. A date for the grand jury had already been set. Once the case went to trial, every lowlife defense lawyer around would be falling over themselves to defend the attackers, especially Jackson and Malone. The sheer publicity that case would generate would make taking the case for public defender's pay well worth it. Funaho decided it was better to make a formal statement tomorrow, rather than waiting and let the rumor mill go out of control. Mihoshi then told her that she had found out why Ryoko had been raped. Hearing the reason only made Funaho more determined to see the men punished for their actions. It had been a deliberate act of cruelty, and she vowed to make sure the prosecutor pushed for the maximum sentence.

The next morning, a press conference was arranged. In a statement that was broadcast across the galaxy, Funaho told about the attack upon the Masaki home. She said Ryoko had been brutally raped and then locked in her former prison. Dr. Kusunoki confirmed that Ryoko had suffered severe mental trauma and was now her patient. When asked about the charge of criminal threatening against a Juraian princess, Funaho said that Mayuka was a clone created with Tenchi's and a former enemy of Yosho genes that was originally to be used against him. She had managed to break free from the mind control and paid with her life. Washu had brought her back as an infant in order to have a second chance at life, as her own person. Tenchi confirmed he was her genetic father and said he had arranged for her adoption by Ryoko while he was on Jurai.

Mayuka's adoption raised more than a few eyebrows. Funaho said that the Royal Family supported Tenchi's decision because they had seen for themselves how much Ryoko cared for the child. Ryoko had shown herself to be a responsible mother, always putting May's welfare before her own. Finally, Mayuka had in effect chosen her by always calling Ryoko "Mama". None of the other women in the Masaki home were given this name, only Ryoko. The reporters appreciated the irony of the pirate who attacked Jurai now raising one of their royal princesses. Also, it was the Royals who were prosecuting the charges on her behalf. Funaho then declared the conference at an end.

For the rest of the day, the conference was the lead story. Every nuance of the story was analyzed and discussed on all the news programs. The people that had lived during Ryoko's space pirate days couldn't believe that such a demon was so easily overpowered. Ryoko had overcome whole fleets and planetary defenses by herself and yet she had been taken down by a small group of attackers. Even more amazing, they had used essentially primitive weapons. Ryoko's pardon had been easier for the galaxy to accept, because Kagato's evil was well known.

Late in the afternoon station time, Washu awoke. She saw Nobuyuki sitting in a chair next to the bedside, napping. He had volunteered to stay with her, saying she shouldn't be left alone. Nobuyuki cared greatly about Washu. She had acted as a mother to Tenchi more than once, and helped keep the girls somewhat in line. Washu had filled a void in the home, even if she did have a few personality quirks at first. While her child form had put him off, her staying an adult had cast her in a new light. He found himself looking at her as a woman for the first time. Now this crisis had erupted and any thought of taking things further would have to wait. She would need all the moral support of the family to help her daughter. Later when Ryoko was fully healed, he would see about building a relationship.

After a shower and change of clothes, Washu found herself starving. Waking Nobuyuki, she had him take her to a restaraunt on the station where she had her first decent meal since leaving Earth. They then joined everyone in the lounge. Looking at Funaho and Misaki, she said," That was a dirty trick you pulled. However, I needed the rest, so I suppose I owe you my thanks.". The two queens were unapologetic, and only nodded at her. They told her of the morning news conference. Her throat caught at the news her daughter was now officially Mayuka's mother. Ryoko would be overjoyed and Washu agreed that it was the perfect birthday gift for May.

Tenchi and Ayeka were at a changing station with Mayuka. Ryoko was in a chair, while Ami stood nearby her. Dr. Kusunoki had had security beefed up after the conference, and already several tabloid reporter and photographers had been caught trying to sneak into the med ward. She would not have her patient's condition turned into sideshow fodder and was glad when Misaki had Azaka and Kamidake help out. The Guardians were ultimately under her jurisdiction, and she felt Ryoko needed them more than Ayeka did for now.

Ami went over to the sink and poured a glass of water for herself. She accidentally left the faucet dripping and went to shut it off when Washu stopped her. She had seen Ryoko flinch at the sound. Telling Ami to let it drip more, she watched Ryoko's face. Again Ryoko flinched, and everyone saw it this time. Washu remembered that water had dripped constantly into the pool. Activating her holocomp, she had it create in her ear the pitch and frequency of the water dripping. Once she was certain she had it correct, she broadcast the sound through the external speakers.

The effect was immediate. Ryoko's eyes blinked rapidly and her face became animated. Then with a blood-curdling scream, she launched herself from the chair and ran to corner of the room. Ryoko sat on the floor, hands out in front of her, crying out in terror. Washu picked her up in her arms and held her tightly. Ryoko struggled at first, but then her eyes regained their focus. She saw and heard her mother and realized that she wasn't locked up in the cave, but safe in her mother's arms. She said, "Momma?", and hugged her mother back. Washu led her to the sofa and sat down with her. As the memories of the cave came flooding back, Ryoko started to shiver violently. Teeth chattering, she said,"Mommy please h-h-hold me, I'm so c-c-cold.".

Washu gripped her daughter even tighter. It wasn't just the cold water Ryoko was reacting to, but the utter isolation that she felt in the cave. She needed physical contact to reassure herself. Her astral body had been unable to touch anything and she had spent much of her time after her release getting used to being able to physically feel again.

Tenchi and Ayeka came in then with Mayuka. They both shouted her name and rushed to the sofa. Pulling her to her feet, they both hugged Ryoko fiercely, overwhelmed with joy. Tentatively, and then with increased strength, Ryoko wrapped her arms around both of them and hugged back. She cried softly into their shoulders, feeling the love they were giving her. Mayuka cried out "Mama" from the floor. Ryoko grabbed her daughter and kissed her. Holding Mayuka in her arms, Ryoko sat next to Washu. She reached out with her mind and contacted Ryo-ohki. Happy to hear her mistress's voice once more, she also hugged Ryoko. Everyone else then took turns giving her a warm hug, letting her know she was safe.

Once everyone settled down, Ryoko asked what had happened. Ryo-ohki showed her the attack and the subsequent raid. Ryoko went white with rage at the sight of a gun being held at her daughter's head. She had to be physically restrained from going to Roberts and ripping him apart with her bare hands. Washu managed to get her to cool down by telling her Mayuka needed her mother, not an avenger. Ami then introduced herself to Ryoko, telling her that she would be doing her counseling now instead of Yosho.

They spent the rest of the day talking about the trip and what had happened on Jurai. Funaho showed Ryoko a recording of Tenchi's introduction to the people, and the conference in the courtyard. Hearing the people accept the truth about her did much to ease her heart. Ayeka's public admission of friendship with her brought tears to her eyes. Here was the proof that her past was behind her, that she wasn't considered to be a monster. She noticed that everyone was avoiding something though. Kiyone and Mihoshi had almost added something else when they told of the charges against the men. They caught themselves just in time, but Ryoko had the distinct impression there was more. She asked what was going on, but Washu said she needed to rest first and get her strength back. The only clue she gave was Ryoko would need the support of all the family to help her through this.

Ami told Ryoko that it time for her to go back to her room. Ryoko pleaded with Ami not take her away from her family, that she couldn't bear the thought of being alone. Ami looked into Ryoko's eyes and saw she was telling the truth, she was terrified of being alone. Ami then said she could stay with Washu in her room, but she still had to go to bed. Ryoko agreed, as it had been a very stressful day. Tenchi said that tomorrow they would all have a birthday party for Mayuka. He told Ryoko that he had the perfect gift for his daughter.

Ryoko went with Washu to the guest rooms. At first she tried to stay in her own bed, but it wasn't enough. She climbed into bed with her mother, needing to hold someone and be held in return. Washu put her arm out and Ryoko curled up next to Washu. Washu then sang a gentle lullaby to her daughter, the same one she had sung to her son so many centuries ago. Ryoko put her arm across Washu, feeling the warmth of her mother. After a while, she managed to fall into a troubled sleep. She was plagued with nightmares of the cave and woke up screaming several times. Washu held her close each time, soothing her and telling her she was safe. Mentally, she once more damned the men who had done this to her daughter. Even with her nightlight, Ryoko was terrified to sleep alone. Washu wondered if Ryoko would be able to sleep outside in the sunlight or would the nightmares haunt her then as well?

The next day a quiet birthday party was held in the arboreum. The park was a popular place on the station, as it provided much needed break from the cold steel walls. Trees, grass, and flowers from many different planets all grew under an artificial sun. Ryoko held Mayuka and helped her open each of the presents. Toys, clothes, and other normal gifts were each appreciated by Ryoko and Mayuka. Finally, Tenchi handed Ryoko a simple frame, wrapped in paper. Opening it, Ryoko saw a document along with a painting of her and May. Curious, she read the document to May. Her eyes widened as the full meaning of the adoption papers hit her. Tenchi said he had the perfect gift for Mayuka and he was right. He had given Mayuka a mother, some one who would love and cherish her, unlike Yuzuha.

For Ryoko, it was one of the happiest moments of her life, ranking with her release from the cave and Kagato being destroyed. Now no one could take away her daughter. She had given so much of herself to Mayuka, and her caring had been rewarded. Looking into May's eyes, Ryoko said,"Do you know what this means Little Mayuka? It means Mommy will always be with you. You and I will alway be together, no matter what.". Seeing how happy her mother was, May giggled and played with Ryoko hair. She didn't understand her mother's words, but the warmth in them was apparent. Tenchi then told Ryoko he had done the painting himself from memory. The likenesses of mother and daughter were amazing. Tenchi had captured the very essence of their bond and warmth and love radiated from the picture.

Seeing the life of the park around her, Ryoko knew that she wanted to go home. The station reminded her too much of Soja, with the cold, lifeless walls. She needed to see the green fields and mountains of Japan, the warmth of the Masaki house. She told everyone her desire. Ami had reservations about Ryoko leaving the hospital so soon. She had only just recovered and still hadn't been told the whole truth. Also, Ryoko still needed therapy to deal with her psychological problems. Funaho suggested that Dr. Kusunoki stay with Ryoko on Earth for the time being. As long as Ami abided by the restrictions of living on a non-interference planet, a waiver could be granted. The idea intriqued her and she agreed. Misaki stated in a tone that brooked no argument that she would stay on Earth for now as well. The family was still shaken and would need someone to who could act as the housemother. Washu normally did this, but she would be busy caring for Ryoko. Funaho acceded to Misaki's wish. She knew better than to disagree when Misaki used that tone.

All that was left was what everyone dreaded. It was better that Ryoko find out now, but that still didn't make it easier to tell her. Washu motioned for Tenchi to sit next to Ryoko. He nodded, knowing what was coming. Ayeka sat on the other side, to give Ryoko all the support she could. Seeing the expressions on everyone's face, Ryoko was a little scared. Whatever Washu had to say, it was bad enough that she was broadcasting her emotional turmoil. Washu gathered herself to speak. This would be harder than when she had made peace with Ryoko. Still, there was no use hiding from it.

"Ryoko, there's something we have to tell you.", Washu began,"There's another charge against the two who locked you in the cave.". Ryoko looked at Washu, a cold knot of dread forming in her stomach. Washu continued,"While you were unconscious, they both raped you in order to hurt me." Ryoko looked at her mother in shock. Never in her worst nightmares had she thought this possible. She felt like her world was crumbling around her and her dreams had been made a mockery.

Ryoko's vision swam and she would have fallen over had it not been for Tenchi and Ayeka. She almost slipped back into the shell she had only just climbed out of, but Washu was ready this time. During the party, she had quietly opened the link between them and anchored herself in Ryoko's mind. By sheer force of will, she pulled Ryoko back from the brink. She would not let her daughter be lost like that again. Once she was sure Ryoko was fully cognizant, Washu said,"Ryoko, we all love you still. Everyone will be there to help you, but you can't run away. Together, we'll make it through this. Don't let Mayuka go through what you did when you were a child.". The last statement gave Ryoko the focus she needed. Her daughter needed her and she had sworn to be there no matter what.

Tenchi and Ayeka tightened their embrace around her. Tears fell freely from her eyes as she grasped what happened. Her innocent dream had been shattered, and she didn't know if she could ever pick up the pieces. For her, nothing would ever be same again.


Afterword
Whew!! This chapter took a lot longer than I thought it would. Still I think it came out pretty well. The inspiration for Ryoko's recovery came from two sci-fi classic movies, "Them!" and "Rodan". In the first movie, a young girl is found wandering in the desert in shock. She had witnessed the death of her parents by the giant ants and she can't cope with the sight. At the hospital, her age prevents the use of several drugs that would have normally helped. It takes the smell of fomoric acid, which the ants emit to snap her out. In the second movie, the hero and narrator of the movie is presumed dead after a cave in. Later he is found wandering with amnesia. His memory is restored when he watches some bird eggs hatching. It reminds of the Rodan's hatching and gets his mind working again.

I based my assessment of Yosho's fighting ability on both the manga and the OAV's. Every battle we see him using a sword. He merely stops Tenchi's kick and Ryoko's punch in a show of strength, not actually blocking or deflecting the attack. Misaki is the head of the Imperial Bodyguard, yet she carries no weapons of any kind. In Manatsu no Eve, we see the Imperial Guard carrying staves, so different weapons are used. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that Misaki is well rounded in her fighting skills, and most likely taught Yosho.

In chapter 5, Ryoko comes to terms with her rape. It won't be easy for her, as she will be prevented from enacting revenge upon Jackson and Malone. This will leave no outlet for the rage and humiliation she feels. Until she can rid herself of this anger, she can't accept the counseling she needs.

Please send let me know what you think of this chapter, as I put a lot of hard work into it.