Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tears ❯ Homecoming ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Tears: Chapter 5

Late that night, Ryoko lay on the bed, curled into a fetal position. After Washu had told her the truth, she had at first felt like her world had been shattered. The shock quickly turned into rage, rage against the men who did this to her. She had been ready to tear the station apart in order to kill Jackson and Malone, when Kiyone intervened. "Ryoko, I can't let you do this.", Kiyone said, "If you kill these men, you will become a wanted criminal for real. Let the law handle them. We have enough evidence to convict all of them.". Ryoko had still been ready to kill but was stopped by Kiyone's next sentence. "If you become a wanted criminal, you will lose your daughter. Tenchi let you adopt Mayuka because he knew you had been forced into killing. You've worked so hard since your release to put the past behind you. Don't let your anger make you throw it all away.", she pleaded.

It was a titanic struggle, her rage and her love battling for supremacy. In the end, her love for May won. Ryoko loved her daughter more than life itself. The thought of losing her child simply to satisfy her desire for revenge was what convinced her to cool down. She sat between Tenchi and Ayeka, shuddering with suppressed anger. Finally, she regained her self-control. Everyone breathed a silent sigh of relief. A beserk Ryoko was something no one wanted to try stopping, not even Tenchi. He felt that he would have had to use the Lighthawk Wings and most likely end up killing Ryoko. Thankfully, Ryoko had listened to reason and not let her rage consume her.

Seeing how distressed her mother was, Mayuka had started to cry. Ryoko had spent the rest of the afternoon reassuring her daughter. She reminded herself that babies reacted to the emotions they sensed, so she would have to control herself around Mayuka. She hadn't released her fury, only internalized it. It was still there, eating away at her. Ryoko didn't know how she would get rid of this anger, but she swore May wouldn't suffer because of it.

Dinner was a somber affair. While Ryoko managed to mask her pain from May, one look at her eyes revealed the truth. Afterwards, Tenchi and Ayeka sat next to her as she played with Mayuka. Ryoko was already hiding her feelings like she used to. Both of them were worried that she would be unable to talk about what happened. They prayed that Ryoko would accept their love and support and not feel she was alone. Not knowing what else they could do, they each put an arm around her, silently giving their love.

When it was time for bed, Ryoko put May in Tenchi's room. She didn't want May to hear her screaming from the nightmares. Once Mayuka was tucked under the blankets, Ryoko kissed her goodnight, and headed to the room she shared with Washu. Washu had arranged for a king size bed to be swapped with the original twin beds. This made for a much more comfortable sleeping arrangement. She climbed in with her mother, and tried to sleep. Each time she fell asleep, the nightmares returned in full force, causing her to wake up screaming at the top of her lungs. Finally, Ryoko stopped trying to sleep, and spent the rest of the night curled up against Washu, shivering with fear.

The next morning, Ami started therapy sessions with Ryoko. This first session was simply an introduction, a chance for Ami to get a feel for what would work best for Ryoko. The real work would begin once they returned to Earth, where her patient would be in familiar surroundings. She decided to concentrate for now on where Yosho left off, namely Ryoko's life under Kagato. Washu had given her all the tapes of the previous sessions and a complete psychological profile of Kagato as well. Reading the profile and checking the crimes she had been forced to commit, Ami was amazed that Ryoko wasn't in worse shape. It was true that Ryoko lived on the edge after her release, but on the whole she had been able to function in society with no major problems.

As much as Ryoko wanted to leave, she would have to wait. The forensic team that had been dispatched upon Royal family's arrival had only just arrived on Earth and were gathering evidence. Also, the raiders still had to appear before the grand jury. This was expected to be a short affair, as there was enough evidence already to indict them. Ryoko had to be there, even though she wouldn't have to testify. Once the grand jury handed down the indictment, the raiders would face a criminal trial.

The grand jury would take place in one week. During this time, Dr. Kusunoki held long therapy sessions with Ryoko. While she mainly dealt with Ryoko's early life under Kagato, she also started asking her about the rape and her time in the cave. She needed to know how bad the events had affected Ryoko. This assessment would be entered as evidence at the trial. Ryoko could barely talk about the rape and gave only short answers to Ami's questions, in a voice filled with bitterness. Something about her tone nagged at Ami, but she couldn't put her finger on it. When asked what she remembered waking from the attack, Ryoko had started hyperventilating and shaking with terror. It had taken the rest of the day to calm her down. Clearly, the second time in the cave had strengthened the hold the it had over her. Ami wondered if Ryoko would ever be able to face her terror of the cave.

The day of the grand jury arrived finally. A large crowd of reporters and cameramen waited outside the courtroom. While the grand jury testimony would be held in secrecy until all the indictments had been entered, that hadn't stopped the media from trying get more information. The news conference that Funaho held a little over a week ago had left many unanswered questions and no one had talked since. The media was desperate for an interview, and microphones were waved in front of everyone's faces as they entered. Ryoko, Ryo-Ohki, and Mayuka sat up front with the prosecution, as they were the plaintiffs. Washu, Minagi, Kiyone, and Mihoshi were all witnesses, so they had to wait outside the main courtroom. While an infant wasn't normally allowed in the courtroom for an extended period, Ami and Washu had prevailed upon the judge to allow Mayuka to stay for a very specific reason. This would be Ryoko's first time actually seeing her rapists. There was no telling what might happen if Mayuka wasn't there to act as a check on her fury.

Throughout the proceedings, Ryoko held onto her daughter like a drowning person holding onto a lifeline. Over and over, she reminded herself that more was at stake than revenge upon her tormentors. She paid little attention to the testimony, though one statement did catch her by surprise. Neither she nor Ayeka had ever given much thought about what happened that night over Kurashiki. Yet Roberts was telling everyone that their little fight was what started this whole mess. After they moved the into the house, everyone had tried to keep a low profile. Even Ryoko had been forced to use a little discretion when Tenchi pointed out to her that displaying her power would bring the attention of Earth's media and destroy what little privacy she enjoyed. Ayeka was stricken with guilt that her arrogance and thoughtless actions had had such dire consequences.

What the jurors in the court found surprising was Minagi's heritage. Yakage had lived in seclusion during the years he researched his sword. During this time, he had hidden Minagi's existence so that he could train her to be worthy of his creation. After his death, Minagi had tried to be a "good" space pirate, attacking only corrupt government officials and other pirates. She'd had only limited success with her chosen career, mostly because her resemblance to Ryoko caused everyone to think the worst. Still, she had started to make a name for herself when she went to visit. Now she would have stay on Earth at the Masaki home until after the criminal trial. She didn't mind, since she knew Ryoko would need the support of everyone to make it through these trying times.

After all the testimony had been given, it took less than an hour for the jury to hand down indictments on all charges. The defense lawyers all asked for an extension so that they would be able to prepare their case. It was granted, but the request for separate trials for each man was denied. The prosecution correctly pointed out that since this was a conspiracy trial, they all should be tried together. The trial was scheduled to take place in six months, Earth time. Ryoko didn't feel any joy about the indictments, since Jackson and Malone hadn't actually been convicted of a crime. She still didn't trust the courts to give her justice, mostly because she had been a wanted criminal for so long. All Ryoko wanted to do now was to go home and get away from this madness. The continual hounding by reporters and the cameras was getting to her. Also, the house was the only place she had ever felt safe. While it been attacked before, the Masaki home had been where she actually was able to live without fear.

Seeing how depressed Ayeka was, Ryoko sat down next her. "Ayeka don't blame yourself, I'm just as guilty. Don't forget I grabbed Tenchi's house and crashed Ryo-Ohki into that bridge. ", she said. Ayeka looked up and replied, "Yes, but my actions were totally uncalled for. I knew your warrants had expired and yet I still wanted you caught and brought to trial. Instead of transporting down quietly, I brazenly exposed Ryu-Oh to the general population, in violation of Jurain and Galactic law. I acted like the spoiled princess you used to say I was, and now you have paid the price for my stupidity.". Ryoko grabbed her and forced Ayeka to look straight at her face. "Damnit Ayeka,what's done is done. You can't change the past, you can only deal with the present. Believe me, I know all too well. I'd like nothing better than for all the horrors I've seen and done to have never happened, but that won't make the past go away. If it you makes you feel better, I forgave you a long time ago for attacking me that night.", Ryoko stated.

Ayeka was silent as she considered what Ryoko said. As much as it galled her to admit it, Ryoko was right. The past couldn't be changed, and it was useless to wish otherwise. The only thing she could do was give Ryoko the support she needed and try to learn from her mistake. Still, it was a harsh lesson that she had been taught. Ryoko left Ayeka to her thoughts and went to start packing for the trip home. She had made Ayeka face her guilt because she didn't want anyone blaming themselves for what happened. Try as she might, Ryoko couldn't follow her own advice. Everytime she tried to express her pain, the rage and anger at what had happened came to the surface. She had accepted life under Kagato because she no basis for comparison. Kagato had kept her on Soja except for her missions, and then she had seen only death and destruction. Only after her release did she learn how good life was. For the first time ever, Ryoko had allowed herself to hope and dream. Her rape had hurt her in some ways worse than Kagato's abuse, because this time she was aware of what she had lost.

They left the station the next day. During the trip home in Yukinojo, there was one bright spot. Mayuka had managed to take her first steps, an event which everyone celebrated. Except for this one bit of happiness, the trip was dark and depressing. Ryoko was mentally exhausted from the lack of sleep. Even with the lights on and having Washu hold her couldn't prevent the nightmares. Washu tried having Tenchi stay with her one night, but with no success. Against her better judgement, she gave Ryoko a sedative the second night of the trip, one specifically keyed to her physiology. It was the same one she gave Ryoko the several months ago, when she had her breakdown. Washu didn't like having to use drugs, since she and Ami both agreed that it was at best a temporary solution. The only reason she did this was Ryoko had fallen asleep while holding Mayuka. She woke up screaming in terror a few minutes later, and had scared Mayuka out of a sound sleep. After getting her daughter and granddaughter calmed down, Washu was forced to agree with Ami's assessment that until they reached home, Ryoko would need sleeping pills. After Ryoko was asleep, Washu had put Mayuka next to her, and then lay beside them both, cradling them in her arms.

When Washu awoke, she had to smile. Ryoko and Mayuka were both sucking their thumbs in their sleep. After making sure to take a picture of them, she reached out and removed their thumbs from their mouths. Sighing, Washu thought about how there was still some small part left of the child Ryoko had been. Washu remembered how Ryoko had been forced to experience horrors that no child should ever have to. In order to survive, she had learned how to bury her emotions. Kagato equated emotions with weakness and he used every opportunity to remind her of this. Even her relationship with Ryo-Ohki had been watched carefully by Kagato. He would have destroyed Ryo-Ohki if Ryoko had shown any love or compassion to her, despite being so useful. Still, they had managed to hide their feelings from him and held onto a shred of hope that one day they would find a better life.

Being trapped in that stasis crystal had been Washu's form of hell. Kagato had managed to block her from communicating consciously with her daughter, but he hadn't known all her secrets. She managed to communicate through Ryoko's subconscious, giving her hope that the living nightmare would end. Also, Kagato never knew about the link she possessed with Ryo-Ohki. He thought of Ryo-Ohki as nothing more than an animal, rather than a sentient being possessed of her own free will. Talking with Ryo-Ohki had helped Washu keep her sanity through those dark centuries. When Yosho defeated Ryoko, it was Washu who told Ryo-Ohki what to say. She had had deep misgivings about his plan, but could see no other alternative to hiding Ryoko.

Her worst fears were realized when Ryoko woke up. Washu's heart had nearly been torn apart at hearing Ryoko's screams. Had Ryo-Ohki been awake, she could have talked with Ryoko. Tenchi-ken's blocking of Kagato worked both ways. Although Ryoko was no longer under his influence, Washu didn't dare attempt direct communication. Kagato would have sensed this, and found where Ryoko was. With Ryo-Ohki asleep, Washu could only send dreams of hope and love to Ryoko. However, the dreams only reached Ryoko infrequently.

It was Ryoko's suicide attempts that convinced Washu to take a huge risk. Each attempt had been harder and harder to stop. Somehow, Washu had get her out of that hellhole before Ryoko succeeded in killing herself. For a brief instant, Washu overpowered the block preventing direct communication. She sent the knowledge of how to create a replica gem with the energy that Tenchi-ken had allotted her, which Ryoko had been unconsciously storing. The effort severely exhausted her, and it was years before she could make contact with Ryoko again. When she managed to link with her daughter again, Washu's heart was eased. Ryoko had used the gem she unconsciously created to project her astral body out of the cave. Now Ryoko could at least see and hear the world around her, even though she couldn't interact with it. It was the best Washu could do for Ryoko.

Washu was just as amazed as Ryoko when Tenchi saw her. She sensed the hidden power within him and realized he could one day match or even surpass Ryoko's full potential. When Ryoko tried to comfort Tenchi the day his mothcr died, Washu was happy. Ryoko had learned to love, and one day she would be free. After Ryoko's release, Washu watched her daughter slowly learn how live a normal life. Her fighting with Ayeka was simply two rivals in love with the same man. Washu knew that soon however Kagato would find Ryoko, and she was worried that neither Ryoko nor Tenchi would be ready.

Kagato's attack was last time he would ever hurt her daughter. She felt Ryoko's grief when she thought Tenchi was dead. Later when Kagato turned Ryoko to stone, her heart sank. Then Mihoshi showed up and freed her from that stasis crystal. She immediately pulled Ryoko's astral form into the room and, for the first time in five millenia, established a direct link with Ryoko. To her sorrow, Ryoko had no memory of her and looked at Washu like she was some sort of monster. Hurt by the rejection, Washu tried to at least get Ryoko to call her "Mom". Ryoko had turned away without saying a word. Later, she had teased Kagato by saying she would let him go, even though she had no such intention. Washu had sworn that Kagato would rot in hell for his crimes. Her only regret when Tenchi killed him was it was too quick and painless. Washu had wanted him suffer a slow and agonizing death, so great was her hatred of him. Still, Ryoko and her were free forever of his evil.

Once they settled in Masaki home, Washu tried to connect with Ryoko. No matter what she tried, there remained a huge gap between them, in part because she kept looking for the child that Ryoko had once been. Washu had a few pictures and other items from when Ryoko was a child. These had been stored in the lab before Kagato had abducted Ryoko. Kagato had never been able to access her lab while she was in the crystal, and he hadn't dared release her. Washu would've turned Ryoko against him and destroyed him without any remorse. Washu had tried to jog Ryoko's memory by showing one of the pictures, but while Ryoko accepted the picture as real, it had no meaning to her. Perhaps the most poignant reminder of the gulf between them was when they babysat little Taro. Ryoko was clumsily trying to feed him when Washu without thinking had said that she didn't raise Ryoko to be a good for nothing. Ryoko had quietly replied that Washu hadn't raised her at all. That simple sentence had cut into Washu's heart like a knife. Later, she had told the others about her lost son, in part to let Ryoko know she did have feelings also. Washu later realized that she should've tried to make peace with Ryoko when she revealed her adult form, instead of teasing Tenchi.

The night she left Ryoko tied up in the lab had an unintended consequence. The scanner that she had on Ryoko had performed another task besides measuring her reactions. Washu had been trying to find the cause of Ryoko's memory loss. Before Ryoko would block her attempts, so she had needed Ryoko distracted so the scanner could work. Washu had wanted to cry when she saw the results. Kagato had physically damaged the part of Ryoko's brain where her childhood memories were kept. The damage could be repaired, but it would be extremely delicate work. Ryoko would have to be completely immobilized during the operation, quite possibly for several days. Unfortunately, she didn't trust Washu after that night, and fought her every time Washu tried to do any tests. Washu had use the threat of exposing the video tape just to get her to submit. Ryoko would've never agreed to the operation and Washu despaired of ever getting her daughter back.

Mayuka's rebirth had been the turning point in their relationship. When Ryoko had said she would set Mayuka straight, Washu decided to gamble. Raising a child would help Ryoko find the peace she needed, as well as providing an outlet for the love that she desperately wanted to give. Washu had known that responsibility of caring for May would eventually fall to Tenchi, Ayeka, and Ryoko, and she wanted Ryoko to be Mayuka's mother. Once she understood that Mayuka needed her, Ryoko would respond. What Washu was worried about was Ayeka might bond with May as well. Ayeka had it in her to be a good mother, but Washu didn't think Ayeka was ready for the commitment that caring for a newborn required. Washu guessed right and her heart had soared when Ryoko declared of her own free will that she would take care of May full time. Tenchi may have freed Ryoko from the cave and given her a home, but it was Mayuka who ultimately freed her soul from its self imposed prison.

The first day after her announcement, Ryoko had been run ragged trying to keep up with Mayuka's needs. Swallowing her pride, she had gone to Washu for help. Washu had learned from her mistake and didn't tease Ryoko. She had shown her daughter how to budget her time and set a schedule. Ryoko already knew about changing diapers, so Washu concentrated on the other aspects of caring for a baby. Besides showing how to prepare the formula and bottle feed May, Washu convinced Ryoko to try breast feeding Mayuka. She pointed out that breast milk was far better than any formula. Ryoko had agreed and let Washu do the necessary changes to her hormonal system. While she enjoyed the sensation of feeding May, she was too embarassed to do it in front of anybody, and only breast fed May at night or when they were otherwise alone. Watching Ryoko bond with May, Washu hoped that one day she would be a part of Ryoko's life again.

Washu knew that as Ryoko healed, her keeping herself bottled up would catch up to her. When she had her breakdown, Ryoko had cried out in such raw pain and grief that Washu had no choice but to respond. After she had sedated Ryoko, Washu had had Tenchi set up a futon for them. She held Ryoko the entire night and morning, only getting up once to go to the bathroom. Sasami had brought breakfast for her, while Tenchi and Ayeka had looked after Mayuka. When they made peace with each other, it was one of the happiest days of her life. Ryoko had let Washu into her life, and no longer blocked her attempts to talk through the link. In return, Washu had given Ryoko her privacy when she wanted it, and didn't enter her mind without permission. This had been a very large sore spot with Ryoko, even though Washu did it because she had been cut off from her daughter for so long.

Until the raid, the past few months had been a wonderful time for Washu. The gap between them had largely been closed and Ryoko was beginning to trust Washu again. On the way home from Todain, Washu had been planning to talk to Ryoko about letting her perform the operation. Giving Ryoko her memories back would give her a point to stand on. The hole in her memory had often made Ryoko feel adrift and orphaned. Intellectually, she knew Washu was her mother, but without those memories, she couldn't make the emotional bond. Now the operation would have to wait, because there was no way Ryoko would be able to take the influx of the lost memories in her state of mind. Also, Washu wasn't exactly in a stable state of mind either, due to the pain Ryoko was in.

Mayuka stirred and Washu belatedly remembered it was time to change her. It wouldn't do for May to have an "accident" while in bed. Grimacing, Washu remembered how much work it had taken to clean the onsen when Taro had visited. Washu picked up May and changed her before she even realized her diaper needed changing. Ryoko may have been still sedated, but Washu didn't want to have spend time making a cranky infant sleep. Once Mayuka was changed, she settled back to sleep. Washu put May between them again and got ready to sleep when an idea struck her. Looking at May peacefully sleeping between them, Washu became certain that she had found the answer to preventing Ryoko from having such horrible nightmares without the use of drugs. Ryoko had continually tossed back and forth while it was just Washu staying with her, but having a person on each side of her might just her make her feel safe enough to sleep. It would have to wait until they were home, but Washu felt confident she was on the right track.

Ryoko awoke later that morning ship time with a much clearer head than the past couple weeks. Joining everyone at breakfast, she was in good spirits, in large part because they would reach home that night. Everyone was discussing the new living arrangements that would be needed. The house simply couldn't hold Misaki, Funaho, Minagi, Ami and her two year old son along with everyone else. Funaho would be staying on Earth long enough to arrange things with the Japanese and U.S. governments concerning the raiders and the Masaki household. She would then return to Jurai on Tsunami. Because Ami would be staying on Earth for an extended period, due to the complexity of Ryoko's case, Washu had reconfigured the part of lab near the door into an apartment for Ami and her son. Across from the apartment she created guest rooms for Minagi and Misaki. Funaho would stay with Misaki during her visit. Washu had her own private room further in the lab, where she kept her most precious items. Among them were the photographs of Ryoko's childhood along with her toys. She had blessed the day that she thought of storing these items in the lab rather than their home on Todain. Kagato had destroyed their home after the abduction in a attempt to erase their existence. Now Washu had physical proof of those happy days so long ago. All she had to do was unlock Ryoko's mind and she could share it all with her.

Tenchi, Ayeka, Sasami, and Ryoko were shocked at how much damage the raiders had done. Kiyone had insured that the house had been left virtually untouched for the forensics team. The team hadn't cleaned up, only gathered evidence. Therefore the house was still a mess, with all the rooms torn apart. The only thing that forensics had done was bring the television and uniforms inside after they were finished, so Washu's security droids could insure they weren't unguarded. It was too dangerous to leave the set out in the open. The truck had been transported to Headquarters to be entered as evidence. Sasami was numb at the destruction of her beloved kitchen. Ayeka and Tenchi were in a similar state when they saw their rooms. Because Ryoko had practically no possessions of her own, her room was basically in good shape, but she burst into tears at the sight of May's room. Nobuyuki cried when he saw all the books in the library strewn about. The romance and other girls comics that Sasami and Mihoshi were so fond of had been Achika's prized possessions. Nobuyuki had kept all of them as a reminder of her, and seeing them scattered like that was too much. He felt his knees weaken and would've fallen had not Washu spotted him in time. She made him sit on the couch where he buried his face in his hands, sobbing silently.

Seeing everyone's reactions, Misaki immediately took steps to bring order back into the house. Barking orders like a drill sargeant, she put Sasami and Ayeka to working cleaning up the kitchen and preparing supper. Tenchi, Mihoshi, Kiyone, Minagi and Ryoko were assigned to general housecleaning. Taking her cue, Washu helped Nobuyuki pick up the library. Yosho was ordered to watch Mayuka and Ryo-Ohki while the cleaning was going on. The violation of the home had hurt everyone deeply. By forcing everyone to work, Misaki was insuring that they would restore harmony and peace to the house. Once the house was restored, Ryoko helped move all of Ami's stuff into the apartment. Ami was pleased that Washu had created such a large apartment for her. It was easily twice the size of her quarters on the station. She noted how Ryoko was definitely more relaxed now that she was home. This was good, because Ami planned to start concentrating on the rape counseling very shortly. She had decided on dealing with the rape first, because it was easiest to work past. The scars from Kagato and the cave were deeply ingrained in Ryoko and would take years to heal.

Once she was settled in, Ami joined everyone in watching the news. The indictment was still the top news story, and the testimony was being picked apart. Only the evidence needed to show a crime had been committed had been entered, not the full story. The biggest question was why Ryoko had been affected so much by the cave. Despite the security precautions, word had gotten out of the state she had been in when she was brought to the Seventh. The tabloid news had used the lurid headline "Space Pirate Ryoko Catatonic!!" to fill the screen. Ryoko wore a mask of indifference, but her body language spoke volumes otherwise. Funaho made a note to have increased patrols by Jurai and the Galaxy Police. It was only a matter of time before the media figured out where Earth was, and began trying to get a story. The last thing Ryoko needed was the press hounding her in her own home. She had no experience in dealing with the press and was liable to lash out at some of less tactful reporters. Seeing the paparazzi get fried was a nice fantasy, but it would have serious repercussions in real life.

After a very late supper, everyone just wanted to go to bed. Washu had talked with Ami about her idea, and Ami had agreed it was worth trying. For tonight, Ryoko would stay in Washu's room with Washu and Minagi. The bed in her room could easily accomodate all three of them. Washu would monitor Ryoko during the night, keeping the link open at all times. She would mainly catnap until she was certain Ryoko was sleeping peacefully. If it worked, Washu would put a big enough bed in Ryoko's room and rotate sleeping partners. Before she let Ryoko in her room, Washu made sure that all the toys, pictures, and other items from the home on Todain were put away. She didn't want Ryoko to see anything until her memories were restored. Only then would Ryoko be able to appreciate what Washu had to offer. The room itself was enough to hold Ryoko's attention. It was tastefully decorated and revealed a side to her mother that Ryoko never knew existed. Washu didn't tell her that the bed was from their original home on Todain, carefully preserved for the past 5 millenia.

After Ryoko got into the bed, Washu and Minagi lay on each side of her. Feeling warm and protected between them, she soon fell fast asleep. Throughout the entire night, Washu only saw peaceful, happy dreams in Ryoko's mind. She woke Ryoko once to feed and change May, and Ryoko was out like a light when she returned. Not since she was a child had Ryoko slept for a such long time on her own. Once Kagato understood that the gems removed the need for sleep, he forced Ryoko to continually stay awake. He told her she was a defective machine because she wanted to sleep. Keeping her mentally exhausted also made it easier to break her to his will. In the cave waking and sleeping were one and the same to her, so she found it extremely hard to sleep after her release. The most she was able to sleep at any one time was four hours in the sun. If Washu hadn't woken her, Ryoko would have slept all night and into the morning. Washu was pleased that Ryoko was sleeping like a normal person again. Getting her to sleep regularly would be one more way of undoing the damage Kagato had done to her. Too, having a patient who could think coherently would make things much easier for Dr Kusunoki. She hoped that someday Ryoko could sleep by herself again, but for now it was enough that Ryoko was sleeping without any nightmares and without the use of any drugs.

That morning Ryoko woke up feeling much better than she could remember for a long time. She finally worked up the courage to ask the question that had been nagging her ever since Washu had told her about the rape. "Mom", she tentatively asked, " Am I ... pregnant?" Washu had been waiting for this very question. The fact Ryoko could ask this showed she was beginning to accept what happened. "No Ryoko, you are not in any way pregnant.", Washu confidently replied. Washu had managed to confirm this just before they left Seventh Headquarters. While she could have told Ryoko this outright, Ami told her to wait a few days to see if Ryoko would ask first. She had been unable to make any progress with Ryoko's rape counseling. A palpable sense of relief emanated from Ryoko as this fear was laid to rest. Washu had been relieved as well when she saw the test results. The thought of having to tell Ryoko otherwise had given Washu nightmares. Ryoko gave her mother a quick hug before leaving to get Mayuka for their morning bath. Washu hoped that Ryoko would respond to the counseling now, instead of keeping herself tightly wound up. She didn't want to see Ryoko have a breakdown again, like she did several months ago. She sensed the pain Ryoko was keeping inside herself, but couldn't figure out what was holding her back.

At breakfast, Ami got to taste Sasami's amazing cooking. Now that they were home and the kitchen was back in order, Sasami had regained much of her normal spirits. She was able to throw herself into her art again, but she was still worried about Ryoko. She had always been great friends with Ryoko, in large part because she had been able to see the person hidden within the shell. Ryoko seemed to be better now that they were home, but Sasami knew how good Ryoko was at dissembling. Sasami had never known that Ryoko couldn't taste her food, but it did explain her eating habits and her inability to cook. Without a sense of taste, Ryoko couldn't judge whether or not the food was done. Instead, Ryoko had acted like she enjoyed her food simply out of courtesy. Sasami wondered why Ryoko had never gone to Washu for help. It saddened her to know that Ryoko couldn't enjoy her creations.

Ami told Ryoko that therapy would start in one week. She said she needed time to settle in and learn about the people of Earth. What she didn't tell her was what she also had planned. Seeing the cave for herself had been high on her list. She had wanted to have Ryoko take her there in order to see her reaction, but immediately scratched that idea after that session on HQ. Instead she would have Prince Yosho take her. Ami wanted to record on film what it was like inside to show the jury. Later on, she hoped to make Ryoko confront her terror of the cave, but it looked like it would be a long time before Ryoko would ever be ready to take that step. The success of Washu's experiment last night had given her some ideas on how to proceed in helping Ryoko deal with the cave, but it would have to wait. Getting Ryoko past the rape was the first priority. Ami had been a psychiatrist for too long not to recognize how much Ryoko was hiding her pain. Like Washu, she couldn't find out what was holding Ryoko back. Ryoko had over four thousand years practice in hiding her emotions as a necessary survival skill. She had only just learned how to open up and express herself. The rape had caused her to fall back with what she was familiar with. This was the worst thing she could have done. What had been a means of survival against Kagato was now working against her. Somehow, Ami had to get past the block and bring the pain out into the open where it could be faced.

Ami visited the cave that day while Ryoko was in the onsen with May. What struck her the most was the absolute lack of any light in the cave beyond the flashlight beam. When she tried turning off the flashlight, the darkness was like a physical prescence. The cave walls made the dripping water echo so that it was impossible to determine where it originated. She recorded the visit with both the light on and off along with audio. Upon leaving the cave, Ami was shocked to see that only half an hour passed. It had felt like an entire day in there, even with the light on. She wondered how Ryoko hadn't been driven insane being trapped for so long in there. Ami made a mental note to have a long talk with Washu about the psychic link she possessed with her daughter. She also decided that it was past time Washu received psychiatric counseling as well. All the information that she had gathered during her talks with Ryoko, along with the facts from Mihoshi's report, showed that Washu was seriously disturbed. Ami remembered the old adage about doctors making the worst patients and it was proven once more. Washu possessed degrees in so many disciplines, both medical and scientific, that she probably figured she could handle her problems on her own. As a result, her pride blinded her from seeing that she needed help.

Once she was finished visiting the cave, Ami went back to the house and picked up her son, Kansuke. She took him exploring the lands around the home. Walking through the fields and in the wooded areas , Ami was glad she that she was allowed to live in such a beautiful place. She had been looking for a job planetside for some time now. Now that her son was getting bigger, she wanted a place where he could run and play instead of being cooped up in such cramped quarters. There was no shortage of babysitters here either, so Ami could concentrate on Ryoko's therapy without having to worry about what her son was up to. Kansuke's father was a Galaxy Policeman who had been killed in the line of duty. Ami had found out she was pregnant shortly after his death and decided to keep the baby. It wasn't easy taking care of him while on the station due to the irregular hours she was required to work, but she managed. Here on Earth, Ami could keep a more regular schedule. She realized that counseling Ryoko and Washu would be a full time job in of itself.

Ami was impressed with the onsen that Ryoko had created. After enjoying a nice hot bath with her son, she joined the others in the living room. All the women were glued to the t.v. watching the soaps. Sasami still covered Ryo-Ohki's eyes during the juicy parts, but Ayeka no longer did the same to her. While not a fan of them, she did watch on occasion. Today, she mostly watched Ryoko. Ryoko's guard was down and Ami hoped to catch some hint of what was holding her back. Ryoko just held onto May and didn't give any clue. After soap time, Ami had Ayeka watch her son while she went into town with Washu. During the trip, she asked about Washu's psychic link. Washu told her about the Masu and how she had created Ryoko. Since she possessed telepathic abilities of her own, it had been easy to create a bond between them. The Masu in Ryo-Ohki were what enabled Washu to communicate with her as well. Ami then asked how they had managed to hold onto their sanity during those millenia. All Washu said was freeing Ryoko had been her focus during that time and after Kagato's death, she had tried to connect with Ryoko. Ami used this opening to point out that her actions had driven Ryoko away instead of bringing them together. She told Washu that starting next week, Washu was to report to her for counseling. Washu protested but after Ami reminded her what she had done to Ryoko, especially the night in the lab, she relented.

That night Washu had Misaki and Sasami stay with Ryoko. Both of them reported that Ryoko had fallen asleep within minutes of them laying next to her. Washu made a small earpiece with an alarm clock in it so Ryoko could be woken for Mayuka without disturbing the others. The next night, Kiyone and Mihoshi had the same results as well. Kiyone said it was kind of spooky the way Ryoko fell asleep so fast. Mihoshi replied that Ryoko had years of sleeping to catch up on, so it was no wonder she slept like a log. It was Tenchi's and Ayeka's turn that was interesting. Tenchi had been nervous at first, but relaxed when Ryoko promised to behave. Ayeka hadn't minded Ryoko sleeping next to her. Ryoko's body temperature was several degrees higher than human or Jurain, so it was like sleeping in a heated bed. What she did object to was Ryoko rolling over and pinning her arm. She swore that Ryoko had to be twice her weight, because her arm was like rubber by the time she managed to free it.

Washu told her it wasn't polite to ask a woman's weight. Ayeka glared at her, and said she'd like to see Ryoko use her a pillow. Washu only smiled and said it Ayeka's imagination that Ryoko was so heavy. She certainly wasn't going to tell her that Ryoko was three times Ayeka's weight. The Masu had given Ryoko much denser bone and tissue structure than a normal human. Even without her gems, her speed and strength were superhuman. As a result of her origins, Ryoko may have looked lightweight, but she actually was close to 400 pounds of solid muscle. She levitated most of the time, so it was easy to misjudge her true weight. And yes, Ryoko had used Washu as a pillow when she was little more than a toddler.

Washu remembered how more than once she'd put Ryoko to bed in her own room, only to wake up in the middle of the night with a VERY HEAVY child sleeping on top of her. Most of the time Ryoko did it because she was lonely. However, sometimes she did it for a more practical reason, namely she had wet her bed. Washu had taken a picture once in order to have proof Ryoko was a normal child in every way that mattered. After that, she had set out to break Ryoko of any more bed-wetting, since Washu did NOT like having clean up the mess. This was also when Washu had decided to create Ryo-Ohki. Washu had broken Ryoko of the bed-wetting, but hadn't been able to break her of sucking her thumb just yet. Now Washu was fighting five thousand years worth of a bad habit. She sighed and thought oh well, a mother's work is never done. There was one consolation for Washu. Mayuka would be out of diapers soon, and Ryoko would have to put up with the same thing she had put her mother through. Unfortunately, Ryoko still let May suck her thumb, so Washu now had two babies that had to be broken of a bad habit.

Washu may have found a solution to Ryoko's insomnia, but there was still one question that had to be answered. Did Ryoko need two people all night, or could she be left alone after she fell asleep? It was Washu's and Minagi' s turn that night and Washu meant to find out. After Ryoko had entered the deepest phase of sleep, Washu would deliberately leave and have Minagi leave as well. She would record Ryoko's reaction both through the link and by holocomp. Ami would be present as well so there would be independent verification. At first, Washu wasn't going to tell Ryoko what she had planned. Both she and Ami were worried that if Ryoko knew, her reactions wouldn't be genuine. After thinking about it, Washu decided to tell Ryoko anyway. If Ryoko had nightmares again, she would most likely feel betrayed by Washu. She had barely accepted Washu's entering her mind at HQ, and only because Washu did it to save her from falling back into that hellish nightmare. She would never accept this, and would look at Washu with distrust again. Washu had gone through too much to win Ryoko's trust, and swore never to lose her daughter again. Ryoko accepted Washu's plan, and thanked her mother for trusting her.

Ryoko would stay in Washu's room again. She absolutely loved the bed and had begged Washu to make her one just like it for her room. Washu had been glad to do it, and remembered how Ryoko had loved the bed when she was a child. It gladdened her to know that Kagato hadn't managed to destroy all of Ryoko's personality. Once Ryoko was asleep, Washu waited for her finish the dreaming and enter deep sleep. When she was certain Ryoko was sound asleep, Washu left the bed and made Minagi get up. She then watched for any reaction by Ryoko. Washu didn't have long to wait.

Almost immediately, Ryoko's breathing and heartrate jumped. Her brain activity spiked off the chart and Washu could sense the nightmares invading Ryoko's mind. Barely five minutes after she was left alone, Ryoko woke screaming in terror, her whole body shaking and her face white as a sheet. Ami was shocked at how quickly Ryoko woke and the severity of her reaction. While she had worked with victims of torture and abuse before, never had she seen the expression of pure fear and terror that Ryoko had. Washu held her frightened daughter close to her and let Ryoko cry. She put Ryoko back into bed and told her to sleep herself out. Washu had already arranged for Ayeka to change May that night. Even after Minagi climbed into bed, it took half an hour for Ryoko calm down enough to sleep. Once she fell asleep, Ryoko didn't wake up until 10:30 A.M., nearly seven hours later. Sasami had brought breakfast for Washu and Minagi at 7:00 A.M., and Ryoko hadn't even stirred. Washu had told her to set aside some food for Ryoko and have Ayeka bathe and feed Mayuka. After breakfast, May had let everyone know that she wanted her mother, so Tenchi brought her into the bedroom. After playing for several hours with Washu and Minagi, Mayuka had lain on top of Ryoko and fallen asleep. When Ryoko got up, she carefully picked May up and carried her into the living room.

Ami was waiting for her on the couch. She told Ryoko that she had seen enough and it was time to start counseling sessions. She had arranged to have use of the shrine office during the afternoon for their sessions. Ami said, "Ryoko, I don't know what's preventing you from opening up, but we're going to find out. You need to face what's happened and put this behind you. Each weekday after lunch,starting today, I want you at the shrine office for therapy. We'll break for your soaps, and then continue until supper. I've held off from pushing you, but not any more." Ryoko was troubled by this announcement, but had been expecting it. Ami had said before that the therapy would be more intense once they were on Earth. At least she could face her therapy sessions with a clear head now that she was sleeping regularly. Ryoko had tried to express her rage, but didn't know how.

As summer turned into fall, Ami was true to her word. She kept pushing Ryoko, trying to get her to open up. Each session was more and more frustrating as Ryoko's inability to talk about the rage and anger that she felt prevented her from making any real progress. The closest Ami got was after one particularly grueling session. Ryoko had blurted out,"Look Dr. Kusunoki, I want more than anything to tell you how I feel, but I CAN'T!! I don't know the words." Ami had ended the session early, and told Ryoko to take the next day off. They both needed a break, and Ami had to consider what Ryoko had said. The counseling would continue in two days. Washu's counseling was going far easier. Each time she had been hesitant about talking, Ami had reminded her of the price she had paid. Yosho had made a good start with Washu, but Ami felt Washu really should have sought professional help.

Two days later, Ryoko didn't show up for her session. She had disappeared after feeding Mayuka that morning and no one had seen her since. Everyone was worried that something had happened to her and immediately began searching. Ayeka found her an hour later in the last place anyone expected her to be. She was lying in a drunken stupor in the entrance to the cave. Ayeka was shocked, since Ryoko hadn't touched a drop in over a year, almost exactly the day after she took over Mayuka's care. Before that, Ryoko had been a very heavy drinker. Judging from the pile of sake bottles and the time frame she had to drink, Ryoko must have guzzled every bottle. A puddle of vomit gave credence to this theory. Scared that Ryoko had done this to herself, Ayeka pulled her out of the entrance. She had Azaka and Kamidake carry her to the house and called desperately for Washu.

Washu was furious at both Ryoko and herself. While Ryoko had clearly been at fault this time, Washu berated herself for not seeing the signs earlier. Ryoko's drinking had always worried Washu, but she felt she didn't have the right to criticize Ryoko. When Ryoko stopped drinking, Washu thought the problem had been solved, but evidently she was wrong. Washu was about to wake Ryoko up, when Ami spoke up. "Washu, maybe we can turn this to our advantage.", Ami said,"Ryoko told me she wants to talk but she couldn't. It's not the rape but something else that's holding her back. Let me try something with her." Washu looked at her and said," What do you have in mind?". Ami replied,"I put myself through med school by working as a bartender. You'd be amazed at what a person will say when they've had a few drinks and someone who'll listen. I say we take Ryoko to a bar and get her drunk enough to talk. Maybe we can bring what's bothering her out into open. Everything else I've tried hasn't worked, so it can't hurt." Washu thought about this and nodded. "Alright, I'll go along with your suggestion, but it'll have to wait until at least tomorrow night. Ryoko hurt May with this little stunt and she must be punished," Washu said. Ami accepted this and left Washu alone with her daughter.

Washu scanned Ryoko first. While she could have erased the effects of the alcohol and woken her with no hangover, Washu wanted to make a lasting impression. Ryoko had gone too far this time and there was no excuse for her behavior. The punishment she had in mind would make sure Ryoko never did anything like this again. While Washu didn't like having to do this, it had to be done. When she was certain the settings were correct, Washu stepped out of Ryoko's line of sight and woke her wayward daughter.

Ryoko woke with the worst hangover she had ever had. She felt like she wanted to die. As her brain started functioning, she remembered going to the cave to be alone with her thoughts. As the frustration built within her, without thinking she took a drink from the stash she had hidden before May's appearance. Even though the sake had gone bad, there was still plenty of alcohol left. Ryoko didn't notice the taste, and before she knew it, she had killed the entire bottle. The alcohol made her feel good, so she immediately started on another. In no time at all, Ryoko had drunk the entire stash. She had no idea how much time had passed, only that the pain had dulled. Now she felt even worse than before. When she felt Ryoko was fully awake, Washu made her move.

"JUST WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING!!", Washu yelled out loud and through the link. Excruciating pain lanced through Ryoko's head. She looked up to see her mother standing over her in a towering fury."While you were drowning your sorrows, Mayuka's been wanting her mother," Washu said in a more normal tone. Ryoko gasped as she remembered she was only going to the cave for a few minutes before spending time with Mayuka. How long had she been out? Haltingly, Ryoko said,"I'm sorry, I didn't think."

SMAACK!! Ryoko's cheek burned as Washu dealt a stinging slap to her face. "YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT YOU DIDN'T THINK!!", Washu screamed. Ryoko lay on the couch in shock. Washu had never hit her and the guilt she felt hurt as much as her face. Tears of shame fell down her face as the full impact of her actions hit her. Washu waited for few minutes to be certain Ryoko was focused on what she had done. "Until now, you've basically stayed out of trouble. I didn't want to discipline you while you were fighting with Ayeka or making a drunken fool of yourself,in large part because I felt I didn't have the right. You managed to stop fighting on your own, and actually started being a responsible adult with Mayuka. I hoped you had broken free of Kagato's brainwashing when you opened up, but I see now you still are in his shadow," Washu said.

"Kagato is long dead, and Zero showed you how to express yourself, but you still insist on acting like you are his slave. It was your keeping yourself locked up and refusal to ask for help that led to this drinking binge. Don't think for one instant that this excuses you, because this time you knew better. Ami and I have been trying to help you and you've fought us all the way. Well no more, Ryoko. First, you are going to face the consequences for this little incident. Then once I feel you've learned your lesson, I'm going pound it into that thick skull of yours that you are a human being and not Kagato's slave," she continued.

Ryoko was a little afraid at what the consequences might be. Washu was right, there was no excuse for what she did. Good, Washu thought, she's admitting she was wrong. She then helped Ryoko sit up and then sat down next to her. "You've disappointed me greatly this time. I'm going to give you a chance to redeem yourself. If you accept your punishment, nothing more will be said. Everyone has agreed to abide by my decision. Otherwise, I will take care of Mayuka until Ami declares you fit to be her mother again.", Washu spoke quietly. Ryoko looked stricken at Washu's last sentence, since she knew her mother was fully capable of doing just that. Fearfully, she waited for her punishment.

"I am going to get Mayuka. I want you to go to the bottom of the shrine steps. You had best be waiting for me by time I meet you there. Once I get there, you will do whatever I say, until I declare your punishment over. I don't want to hear any complaining. Before I go, there is one more thing," Washu stated. She concentrated and Ryoko's gem flared. It detached itself from her wrist and floated into Washu's hand. Ryoko felt the same pain that she had when Yosho took her gems. "As far as I'm concerned, you've lost the right to have this. When I feel you've earned the right, I will give it back to you.", Washu said,"Now, get moving."

Muscles and joints protesting, Ryoko forced herself to head to the shrine steps. She didn't see anyone, for which she was grateful. She felt miserable and couldn't bear to look at anyone. After Ayeka had brought Ryoko inside, Misaki had made everyone go into the lab, so that Washu could discipline Ryoko without an audience. This task was for Washu alone, and no one could interfere. Ryoko barely got there in time and had just sat down when Washu arrived with May. Mayuka was wearing a sundress and big floppy hat to protect her from the sun. Even though it had just turned into fall, the days were still quite warm. Pulling pails, brushes and cloths from subspace, Washu handed everything to her daughter. She told Ryoko that she was to wash every single step leading to the shrine by hand.

Ryoko quailed at the thought of cleaning all those steps, but she remembered what Washu said. Slowly, she started cleaning. By the time she reached the first landing, she was already feeling the effects. Her muscles were cramping from the unaccustomed exertion. Without the gem, she experienced hunger and thirst again. The hot sun and massive hangover only added to her misery. Halfway through, Ryoko was drenched in sweat and shaking with exhaustion. Washu stayed off to the side, helping May practice walking and watching her daughter. She chose this punishment in order to break Ryoko's defenses. As the sun set, Mayuka became tired and hungry, and wanted to be with Ryoko.

Through the link Ryoko pleaded with Washu. Coldly, Washu asked why should she allow Ryoko to care for Mayuka, since Ryoko had neglected May for the bottle. Ryoko could only say that to Mayuka, she was still her mother. Keeping her away would hurt May. Sarcastically, Washu said now Ryoko was considering May's welfare. She let Ryoko feed and change May anyway. Afterward, she gave Ryoko a floating bed for Mayuka to nap in. Once May was asleep, Washu told Ryoko to continue washing the steps.

It was late in the evening when Ryoko finished the last step. She was going on pure willpower and collapsed on the walkway. Washu summoned a floating cushion and helped Ryoko on it. She told Ryoko that her punishment was over and she was forgiven. Supporting her daughter, Washu handed a drink to Ryoko. "Don't worry, it isn't laced like the last time," Washu said. Ryoko had figured out already that Washu had sedated her that night. "It's just something to replenish the fluids and electrolytes you lost today. Your body is too used to having the gem support it. Besides, you need a bath. Tenchi and Ayeka won't appreciate me putting you to bed smelling like this." Ryoko smiled, since now that she thought about it, she did stink to high heaven.

After Ryoko was finished drinking, Washu connected May's bed to the cushion. They rode down the steps to the onsen. Ryoko could barely keep her eyes open. Washu had to undress and bathe her, since Ryoko was dead tired. Mayuka woke up and Washu put her in Ryoko's lap. It took all of Ryoko's concentration to hold May so she could nurse her. After May was finished and burped, Washu bathed her as well. She then called Minagi and had her pull Ryoko out, since there was no way Washu could lift that much dead weight. Ryoko had fallen asleep along with her daughter, so Washu had to dress both of them for bed. She then had Minagi put Ryoko in bed with Tenchi and Ayeka. Both of them were asleep and had to be woken. Once Ryoko was safely between them, Washu put May next to Ryoko. Letting May sleep with her would show Ryoko that everyone had indeed forgiven her.

The next morning, a loud rumble from Ryoko's stomach woke everyone in the bed. Red-faced with embarrassment, she said that this had never happened to her. Tenchi and Ayeka both laughed and told her it just showed she was human. Mayuka giggled at the funny noise Mommy made. Tenchi left so he could get dressed for school, while Ayeka helped Ryoko get up. Ryoko was still tired from yesterday's exertions and her body craved food. Gritting her teeth, she forced herself to walk downstairs for breakfast. Washu was waiting for her, and told her to come to the lab first. Wondering what her mother wanted her for, Ryoko slowly followed Washu. Washu led her to the medical section and had her lay down on a waiting table. With a thought, Washu changed into a doctor's outfit, and activated several machines. "Ryoko, as you've already noticed, your body is reasserting it's needs without the gem to sustain you. I never meant for you to continually depend on the gems to survive. Kagato did that as one more way of degrading you. Do you remember him eating a full course meal in front of you and Ryo-Ohki?. When you begged him for something to eat, he beat you almost to death. He told you machines don't need to eat. Your sense of taste was lost from disuse. During your imprisonment, the Masu kept you alive, but your digestive system further shrunk," Washu said.

Ryoko did indeed remember that day. Curious as to what Washu was planning, she waited for her to continue. " I brought you here, because I'm going to do what I should have done years ago. Sasami was very unhappy to learn that you can't taste her cooking. Today, I'm changing all that by giving you your sense of taste back. However, it comes with one condition. Just as you're sleeping normally again, I want you to start living like a human being, not a machine. That means feeling the need for food and drink and the physical need for sleep. Therefore, I don't want you wearing the gems at all until you've gotten used to being human again. I told you I was going pound it into that thick skull that you are a human being, and this is where it starts", Washu stated. Ryoko was little nervous at not wearing her gems, but she agreed with Washu's request. The thought of no longer lying to Sasami and actually being able to taste her food, was what decided her. Ryoko had often wished she was normal like Ayeka and Tenchi, and now Washu was offering her a chance.

The operation only took half an hour to restore her taste buds and confirm her digestive system was ready. Whenever Ryoko ate before, the gem would provide the sustenance she needed. The only benefit she derived was the replenishment of trace minerals she needed. The rest of the food she ate was converted to energy by the gem and stored for use later. Now her digestive system would work like it was supposed to, though her metabolic efficiency was still much higher than an ordinary human. Her tongue felt very strange and she couldn't wait to experience this new sensation. When she went back to the kitchen, the smell of the food alone almost overwhelmed her. While she did possess a sense of smell, her taste buds worked with her olfactory receptors to open up a whole new vista.

Her first taste of Sasami's cooking was heavenly. Washu had told Sasami earlier to start with simple fare, so Ryoko could get used to tasting again without being overpowered. Ryoko would have eaten everything in sight, but Washu made her stop after a couple of dishes. She was showing signs of sensory overload and needed time to digest, both figuratively and literally. Reluctantly, she left the table and helped clean up. Sasami saw her look at the rest of the food with same intensity as Ryo-Ohki looked at her carrots. She made a note to have Washu do something about protecting the food, since Ryoko was far smarter and sneakier than Ryo-Ohki.

After breakfast, Washu took Ryoko and May for a walk. Minagi was at the shrine practicing with Yosho. She had said she needed to keep her combat skills sharp, so Yosho welcomed the chance for Tenchi to have a new sparring partner. Before Mayuka's rebirth, he had convinced Ryoko to practice with Tenchi. Now that she was caring for Mayuka, she simply didn't have the time. She also said that being a mother to May was more fulfilling to her than fighting. Ryoko did say that she would work out, but only to be able to protect her daughter and family.

Washu led Ryoko to Funaho's pond. She motioned for Ryoko to sit with her at the edge. As Ryoko sat down, Washu was figuring out what to say to her about going to a bar tonight. While she had told Ryoko about her sleep test, this time Ryoko couldn't know what the plan was. If she knew what was planned, she'd throw up the wall around herself again. Mentally, Ryoko was still exhausted from yesterday and now was the time to draw her out. Washu then remembered Ayeka's description of the stash of sake bottles. The quantity of the bottles and the alcohol content showed Washu that Ryoko was most likely an alcoholic. Washu could use the excuse that she needed to see how bad Ryoko's drinking problem was.

"Ryoko, I want you to know that I took no pleasure in punishing you like that. I did it to make you understand that there some things that I will not tolerate. If I had just let you off with a scolding, then you would have thought that what you did wasn't really serious. Parenting is more than just giving a child love. It is also laying down rules that form a moral foundation. Without those rules, you can't know right from wrong and act accordingly. When you told me how much you hated my child form, I realized how desperately you wanted me to be your mother, not some child. Ever since your release you've been floundering about, trying to learn how act like a normal person."

"Until last night, you've managed to do quite well for yourself. I have Tenchi to thank for that, since I can't claim any credit. However, I am still your mother, so it was my duty to punish for you this. Someday, you will have to do the same thing for May, even though it'll break your heart to do it.", Washu quietly told Ryoko. Ryoko had nothing to say, and just sat thinking about what Washu told her. After a few minutes, Washu continued. "Tonight, we're going into town. I need to know just how bad you've been bitten by the bottle. We'll visit one of the bars, and see what happens. If you do indeed have a drinking problem like I suspect, it won't be held against you. You started drinking as a means of dealing with your pain, and it probably got out of hand, due to your immaturity."

For the rest of the morning, Washu stayed with Ryoko. Now that Mayuka had taken her first steps, it would be only a matter of time before she became much more active. Ryoko would be kept very busy trying to keep an eye on her. Mayuka was already exploring her world and was at the stage where she could easily hurt herself. Washu told Ryoko that she would show her and everyone else how to childproof the house. Ami's apartment had already been taken care of, but it had been years since small children had lived in the house. With a two year old and a one year old living in the house, it was essential that all the rooms were looked at.

That afternoon, Ryoko apologized to Ami. Ami told her that she would be joining them on their trip tonight, so she could also judge the extant of Ryoko's drinking. The session was spent discussing Ryoko's comment that she didn't know how express herself. That night, when they prepared to leave, Misaki unexpectedly joined them. She said that someone had to keep an eye on them in case of trouble. Besides, it had been a long time since she visited Kurashiki and she was feeling a little cooped up and bored. Ayeka and Minagi were made the babysitters of Kansuke and Mayuka, respectively. Washu said Minagi needed practice in something besides fighting. She had occasionally helped, but tonight Minagi would have to feed, change, and put Mayuka to bed by herself. Ayeka was told to make sure Kansuke didn't get into trouble and went to bed at the proper time. They would return sometime after midnight.

Nobuyuki drove them into town. He dropped them off and told them he would be back to pick them up. The four of them first had supper at a quiet restauraunt and then went looking for a bar. They found one that was clean and decent looking and went inside. Misaki picked a table where she keep an eye on everything, while Washu ordered the drinks. She had made fake I.D.'s for all of them that would fool anyone. As the night progressed, Washu and Ami saw to it that Ryoko talked while the drinks kept coming. Skillfully, Ami steered the conversation to why Ryoko couldn't open up to her. Several hours after they first entered, Ryoko finally came clean.

"Always before, if someone hurt me I hurt them back. Now I'm raped and locked back into that nightmare, and I'm told I can't strike back. What the hell else am I supposed to do,talk?", Ryoko spoke in a slurred voice, thick with anger. "How I can talk about how I feel when I don't know what to say?" Ami listened sympathetically, and Ryoko started to cry. She had expressed her rage without realizing it. Ami and Washu both swore at themselves for not figuring it out earlier. Ryoko had never learned how to deal with anger. She only knew how to bury her anger, not face it. Now that it was out in the open, Ami could help Ryoko face the rage.

Meanwhile, Misaki had been watching a potential problem. About an hour after they entered, ten punks entered the bar. They immediately started buying drinks left and right, and became more and more noisier. Just after Ryoko opened up, the bouncers made the gangers leave, but Misaki doubted she had seen the last of them. Even though Nobuyuki wasn't due back for over an hour, she felt now was the time to leave. They had gotten Ryoko to talk, and there was no more reason to stay. Ryoko was drunk enough that she would be considered easy prey for scum like that bunch. Having decided, Misaki told Washu to call the house. Washu was of the same mind, and readily complied. After calling, Washu helped Ryoko stand up. Ryoko was feeling the effects of so much alcohol and was ready to pass out.

As they made their way back to the pickpup point, Misaki's fears were confirmed. The gangers confronted them a short distance from the bar and herded them into an alleyway. All of them had weapons and their intentions were quite clear. Once inside the alleyway, the gang advanced on them, confident that the women couldn't escape. However, escape was last thing on Misaki's mind. An unholy gleam came into her eyes, and she laughed with pure joy. "Little boys, it really is a pity for you that my husband isn't here," Misaki said. Their leader looked at her and asked, "Yeah, no one's here to protect you." Misaki smiled and replied, "You misunderstand me. My husband wouldn't protect me from you. He'd protect you punks from little old me." At this her expression changed, and the gangers became nervous. They got the distinct impression that this woman was looking at them like they were prey and she was the predator.

The gang would have been scared if they knew just what Misaki's hobby was. There was a side to Misaki that her children knew nothing about, but Funaho and Azusa were all too familiar with. Had Funaho heard Misaki say she was feeling cooped up, it would set off every single alarm. On Jurai, Misaki had a way with dealing with this problem. Despite Funaho's best efforts, Misaki would sneak out of the palace and head for the seediest part of the city. Like any large city, the capital had its darker side. Misaki would dress in simple clothes and hit the bars looking for action. If she couldn't find a fight, she'd deliberately start one. The end result would be a bar in which only the walls were left standing. Misaki would usually pay for rebuilding the bar and head back to the palace before the police arrived. Funaho had a standing order with them to stop her before anything happened. Because there were so many bars and Misaki was so skilled at evading them, the police were only occasionally successful. When Misaki got back, Funaho would be fuming with anger. Misaki would merely laugh and give Funaho a big hug, until Funaho cooled down a bit. Funaho would give up at this point and swear that someday she'd give Misaki a piece of her mind.

Cracking her knuckles, Misaki advanced upon them like a cat stalking its prey. She had been hoping something like this would happen and her prayers were answered. The men raised their weapons and attempted to attack her en masse. Without hesitation, Misaki jumped into the middle of them and began delivering a flurry of kicks, punches, elbows, knees, and hand strikes. Bodies began flying everywhere, usually landing against a wall or on the street. In a few minutes, all of the punks were either out cold or moaning in pain. Feeling much better, she led Ami, Washu and Ryoko back to the meeting point. On the way back home, she thought about Ryoko's problem. Ami could probably help Ryoko get past the rage, but it would be slow going. Ryoko had to get rid of this anger now, before it poisoned her soul. The only way Ryoko knew of expressing her anger was to hit back. Since she wasn't allowed to hit back at those who had hurt her, what she needed was someone to fight her. Misaki came to the conclusion that she was the only one who could give Ryoko that fight. Ayeka wouldn't stand a chance against her, Tenchi wasn't skilled enough, and Minagi was mainly a swordswoman. This fight would require hand to hand combat skills with no use of any powers.

By the time they reached home Ryoko had passed out. It took Washu and Misaki to bring her inside. Strong as she was, even Misaki found it a chore to carry Ryoko. She told Washu her daughter definitely needed a diet. Washu had Minagi carry Ryoko to the lab and put her to bed in Washu's room. Even though Ryoko had consumed enough alcohol that she probably could have slept alone, Washu wasn't taking any chances. Besides, Washu never passed up an oppurtunity to hold and protect her daughter. In her sleeping face, Washu saw once more the innocent child that had been stolen from her. She then groaned as Ryoko again sucked her thumb. Swearing that one day she'd find a way of breaking her of this habit too, Washu removed Ryoko's thumb from her mouth and got into bed.

The hangover Ryoko had the next morning was almost as bad the one she had two days ago. I have got to stop doing this, she said to herself. Washu handed an concoction to her that smelled like something had died. "Drink this without stopping," Washu said. Ryoko looked suspiciously at Washu, wondering what she was up to. "Just what the hell is this stuff?", Ryoko asked. "It's a little something I invented back when I was still a student. What you're holding is 'Dr. Washu's Universal Hangover Remedy'. I made a fortune on that stuff alone and still hold all the patents. Others have tried to duplicate it, but this is the genuine article. Kagato destroyed the factory that I had making this stuff along with some other things. One of the first things that I did when I settled here was to restart production. I've been thinking of a way to sell it here on Earth, but Kiyone and Mihoshi both told me that would constitute illegal technology. This household needs more money, so I'll have to come up with something.", Washu stated.

Deciding that nothing could be worse that the way she felt now, Ryoko drained the glass in one gulp. The drug started to work almost immediately. She felt like every nerve in her body was on fire. Then just as quickly, the pain stopped and her hangover was completely gone. She looked Washu with awe, and asked just how much money did she make. Washu smiled and told her she could have paid the bill that Misaki used as a threat that time without even noticing it. 20,000 years of compound interest, plus some very lucrative patents and investments made for a VERY BIG bank account. Of course, the lab upkeep and taxes took a hefty chunk of that money, but Washu was easily considered to be one of the wealthiest people in the Galactic Union.

While Ryoko was taking her morning bath with Mayuka, Misaki told Ami and Washu of her plan. She pointed out that with the trial coming up in in only five months, they didn't have time to get Ryoko past her anger by teaching her how to express herself. The anger had to be lanced out now, so she could face the pain. Afterward, she could be taught how to properly deal with her anger. It went against Ami's training, but she agreed with Misaki's assessment. The fight would have to wait, because it had started to rain and Misaki needed the training arena for her idea.

It rained off and on for the next three days. During this time, Misaki trained in a workout room that Washu created for her in the lab. For what she planned, Misaki would have to be in peak physical condition. She had only one slim advantage over Ryoko. Even though Ryoko did practice, she had largely given up fighting. As head of the Imperial Guard, Misaki couldn't afford to let her battle skill lapse. Once Ryoko's anger came to the surface, she would become a fearsome opponent. Ryoko had been in countless battles and her fighting skills were second nature. What Misaki had to do was to burn the anger out of Ryoko while she avoided being beaten to a pulp. That was why she had to fight Ryoko unarmed in the end. Ryoko had an innate sense of fair play and so long as Misaki kept the fight purely physical, Ryoko would be forced to do the same. Misaki would start off by using wooden swords, but the main fight would be unarmed.

In the meantime, Ami did start working on getting Ryoko past her rage. She helped Ryoko to find the words to express her anger. As Misaki had guessed, it was slow going. Ryoko's anger ran very deep, not just from the rape, but from the way her happiness had been shattered. What the sessions did do was lay the foundation for teaching Ryoko how to manage her anger. There was another good thing that came out. Ryoko admitted that she did have a drinking problem. The way she had gotten drunk without thinking had scared her. Ryoko didn't want Mayuka to grow up with an alcoholic for her mother. Ami told her that she had already taken the first step by acknowledging the problem.

Four days after the trip into town, the rain ended and the day dawned bright and clear. Misaki had come up with a perfect way of luring Ryoko into a fight. She told everyone that she needed to see if Yosho had taught Tenchi hand to hand like she had ordered. She would also judge Ayeka and Sasami's skills. After that, she would take on anyone who wanted to face her. As she expected, Ryoko declined, saying that motherhood was more important to her. Misaki knew that Ryoko was a warrior, however, and she'd be curious at least. That curiousity would be fanned into a desire to test herself against Misaki. Everyone headed toward the training arena. Once there, she told Ayeka and Sasami to change into clothes more suitable for training.

Grabbing a bokken, she hopped onto the training stakes. She saw Ryoko off to the side, watching her. The others were standing together, waiting for their turn. As far as they knew, this was just a simple training session. Only Washu and Ami knew what Misaki really had in mind. Nobuyuki had setup the video camera Washu had created for him on his birthday. Misaki wanted everything recorded, in part to use as a teaching tool. Once Ayeka and Sasami came back dressed in training uniforms, Misaki started the class.

The rules were simple, either make Misaki give up or knock her out of the ring. Of course, if she could be knocked unconscious, she would also lose the match. Misaki was confident enough that wouldn't happen, but she also knew overconfidence could come back to bite her. She first took on Yosho. He actually lasted ten minutes before Misaki tripped him and sent him flying. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched Ryoko. Seeing Yosho land on his keister like that had definitely caught her interest. Even though Ryoko no longer wanted revenge, she still didn't mind him getting beat like that.

Next up was Tenchi. She faced him unarmed and told him he'd better not disappoint her. Knowing that if he held back he'd only get beaten worse, he attacked with everything he had learned. Misaki let him fight for a few minutes before slipping past his guard and delivering a kick that laid him flat on the ground. Misaki said that at least he had learned something, but he had a long way to go before she considered him ready to fight in the Imperial Guard. Ryoko giggled to herself and thought the expression on his face was so cute. Oh yes, Misaki thought, Ryoko's falling right into my trap.

Ayeka entered the ring next. Without hesitation, she attacked with a bokken. Misaki had taught her how to fight before she left looking for Yosho. The continual fighting with Ryoko had sharpened her skills. However, she was rusty since Ryoko and her had stopped fighting. A few minutes after they started, Misaki cut her down. Even though Ayeka was her daughter, Misaki played no favorites. She trained as she fought, hard and fast. Tossing her bokken aside, she helped Ayeka up and made her fight hand to hand. Ayeka managed to actually land a few good hits before her mother knocked the wind out of her. Ryoko was unconsciously nodding in approval at Ayeka's performance. She remembered the fights they had and was glad Ayeka could still give a good fight.

Sasami didn't even last a minute before Misaki knocked her down. She had never been taught how to fight, not even to protect herself. Misaki spent the next half hour teaching her the basics. Turning to Yosho, she let him know of her disapproval. "Yosho, after I'm finished today, you and I are going to have a long talk about Sasami's lack of fighting skills," Misaki said in a dangerous voice. Yosho gulped as he remembered what Misaki's "talks" consisted of. At this point Ryoko helped Sasami leave the ring and told she'd be her training partner, in return for being her first real friend when she had needed one. Misaki smiled to herself and prepared to draw the noose tighter.

Looking at the rest, she asked who else thought they could take her on. After a few minutes, Mihoshi stepped onto the stakes. She had won the coin toss between her and Kiyone. Both of them were curious to see how well their training stacked up against the Jurai Imperial Guard. Misaki's reputation was almost legend and here was a chance neither of them could pass up. Having watched the others, Mihoshi immediately attacked with all of her strength. She gave a good accounting of herself and bloodied Misaki's nose before she was knocked senseless. Ryoko was watching with rapt interest. She held onto Mayuka and told her Auntie Sasami and Ayeka were all right, Great Aunt Misaki was just playing with them.

Kiyone also did rather well and landed a beautiful right cross that knocked Misaki back a step. Misaki counterattacked and put Kiyone on the defensive. Kiyone tried to regain the initiative, but couldn't get past Misaki's defenses. A minute later, Kiyone was on her back with Misaki's knee pressing down on her throat. She conceded the match and Misaki helped her back up, saying she and Mihoshi had done their instructors proud. Ryoko at this point was no longer even hiding her interest. She imagined her rapists being on the receiving end of Misaki's fists and kicks.

Minagi then asked if she could try her luck. Misaki invited her onto the arena. Grabbing a bokken, she attacked as Yakage had taught her, seeking to annihilate Misaki. Minagi soon found out that Misaki was easily a match for her. Neither one of them could gain an advantage for long minutes. Finally Minagi made a mistake and overreached herself. Seizing the advantage, Misaki trapped Minagi's sword and drove her fist into Minagi. Minagi folded over, coughing and wheezing. Misaki immediately helped her breathe again. "Yakage was a hero of mine when I was young. You are truly his daughter and a worthy heir to his legacy," Misaki said with praise. Minagi's eyes shone and thanked her for such a great fight. Ryoko remembered her own battles with the Jurain swordmaster and agreed that it had been a hell of a good fight.

Ryoko had been primed and now it was time to spring the trap. "Well, unless you want to workout with me Washu, I guess I'm finished," Misaki sighed. Ryoko suddenly spoke up. "Wait a minute, I still haven't had a crack at you," Ryoko said in clear voice. "I thought you said that you'd rather be taking care of your daughter," Misaki replied. "Changed my mind. I figured that maybe you'd like someone who could give you more than just a good swordfight," Ryoko answered back. Good, Misaki thought, she's spoiling for a fight. Now to push her over. "Ryoko, I doubt you could give me a good fight. Ever since you started caring for Mayuka, you've become positively domesticated," Misaki said lightly.

THAT DID IT!! Ryoko's face darkened and without a word she grabbed a bokken. Unlike everyone else, she didn't rush Misaki, but slowly stalked her. There was no way Ryoko was going to let that remark pass. Just because she was a mother now, didn't mean she couldn't fight. Besides, there was nothing more dangerous than a mother protecting her child. This fight would be a lot different than her battle with Yakage. Yakage had lectured her on her mistakes and then backed up his observations by easily defeating her. Even though she hated him for it, in her most private moments she admitted to herself he was right. She vowed never to be defeated that easily again. She had begun improving herself in secret, in order to protect her family and home. Becoming May's mother had given her even more incentive, though it wasn't easy finding time.

Ryoko stopped in front of Misaki, looking her directly in the eye. They faced each other in a test of wills, waiting for the other to break. Both held their swords in guard positon, with no openings to exploit. Neither of them flinched as they tried to stare the other down. Then in the blink of eye, they attacked simultaneously. The blades hummned through the air and made a resounding crack as they clashed. Everyone watched in awe at the speed which they fought. As the battle progressed, Misaki started to wonder if she had bitten a little than she could chew. Ryoko was fighting far better than she expected. She had clearly been practicing and was in full possession of her faculties, unlike when she had been Kagato's slave. Still there was something else that had changed. Then Misaki understood what was different. Becoming a mother had helped Ryoko grow up. She was no longer a willful, ill-disciplined child, but a much more mature and self confident young woman.

Finally, she exulted to herself, a real challenge. Yosho had been the last student who could push her to the limit, but he had mainly been interested in swordfighting. She had longed for someone who could go toe-to-toe with her and play just as rough. Now she had an opponent who could dish out punishment and take it as well. Misaki's heart sang within her and she threw herself fully into the match. Ryoko also picked up the pace, the anger she had been suppressing finding an outlet. The blades were hitting so fast that something had to give. With a sound like a gunshot, both blades shattered as the combatants slammed them together.

Without missing a beat, they tossed the pieces away and continued the fight. Ryoko's fist slammed into Misaki's face, dislocating her nose. She countered with kick that broke two of Ryoko's ribs. Before long, both of them were bruised and battered. Ryoko realized that Misaki was keeping her at a slight distance, so she could use her height and longer reach. Taking the initiative, Ryoko closed the gap until they were almost body to body. She started throwing a multitude of punches and kicks. None of the blows were powerful by themselves, but taken together, they would wear Misaki down enough so Ryoko could finish her off. Misaki wasn't fooled and adjusted her techniques. They both ratcheted the intensity up another notch. Catching Ryoko in her crushing bear hug, she sought to squeeze the breath out of her. Ryoko head butted her left and right until Misaki loosened her grip. Freeing her arms, she clapped her hands against Misaki's ears. Head ringing, Misaki staggered back to edge.

Ryoko pressed her advantage. She began hitting Misaki everywhere, never targeting the same point twice. It looked like Misaki would fall out of the arena, when she suddenly slammed her palm across Ryoko's chin. Ryoko was spun around and almost fell. Quickly, Misaki moved back into the center and tried to clear her head. She had just regained her focus when Ryoko drove her elbow into Misaki's chest. Rolling with the blow, Misaki countered by smashing her elbow into the back of Ryoko's neck. Ryoko went down and barely recovered in time. She stepped back to also regain her center. Both fighters eyed each other warily, watching for the other to make a move.

Everyone had been watching the fight with awe. Ryoko and Misaki had been moving on the stakes like they were on solid ground. Yosho knew that he wouldn't have stood a chance had Ryoko fought like this 700 years ago. If Kagato were alive today, Ryoko would have wiped the floor with him. They waited for the fight to continue, wondering who would be the victor.

Misaki and Ryoko began circling each other. Both of them were hurting from the tremendous blows they had inflicted on each other. Ryoko's sides ached and her left eye was barely open. Misaki's nose was completely out of joint and she looked like she had hit a brick wall. This next clash would be the last one. The tension was heavy as each of them tried drawing the other into making a mistake. Then Misaki launched herself at Ryoko. She unleashed everything she had at her. Ryoko also attacked full force, taking the hits while landing her own. Strikes were used as blocks and blocks as strikes. It was like watching a ballet of destruction. They pounded each other for over fifteen minutes when Misaki finally got through Ryoko's defenses. She caught Ryoko in the diaphragm, actually lifting her off her feet. Simultaneously, however, Ryoko drove her fist into Misaki's solar plexus. Ryoko dropped onto the ground unconscious. Misaki stood for a few seconds before her eyes rolled back and she fell on top of Ryoko.

Quickly, Washu and Ami went to work. Summoning her holocomp, she scanned them both, assessing their injuries. Both of them had massive internal bleeding and needed surgery immediately. Washu pulled two med units from subspace and got them each inside. Once they were stable enough, she brought them inside the lab. With Ami's assistance, Washu worked for the rest of the day and well into the night repairing the damage. Around 4:00 A.M. Washu finished patching them up and transferred them to the recovery ward. She had done all she could and now the rest was up to them. They would most likely be unconscious for days. Misaki had been beaten to within an inch of her life and she needed time to recover. Even with the Masu in her, Ryoko still had her limits and she had been pushed beyond them. Her recovery would also be slower than usual. Washu could have speeded up Ryoko's recovery, but she wanted her daughter to learn from this.

Three days later, Ryoko awoke. She tried to get up and fell back on the bed, her whole body in pain. Misaki looked over from her bed and said Washu had left orders that both of them were stay in bed. Misaki had already tried getting up with the same result. Ryoko groaned and called for Washu. She asked her mother to bring May to her. Washu agreed and a short while later, Ryoko was holding her daughter. May had been worried about her mother, and was happy to be with her. Misaki, however, was in a less desirable position. Funaho had come in with Washu and she wasn't about to let this oppurtunity pass by. She had arrived last night to see how everyone was doing. Washu had told her about the fight in town. Going over the details, it became apparent to Funaho that Misaki had deliberately allowed the punks to force them into the alleyway. Misaki could have easily handled the matter on the street by knocking out one or two of them and letting the rest run away. Instead, she had taken them all on, in order to satify her sense of fun.

Now she had Misaki right where she wanted her. Funaho had asked if Misaki would be able get out of bed when she woke up. Washu had replied that both her patients would need a least a full day of bed rest before she allowed them to get up. A wide smile appeared on Funaho's face and she could hardly wait for her sister wife to awaken. Misaki looked at the expression on Funaho's face and gulped. "I've warned you that one day I'd give you a piece of my mind, Sister. Now I find out you're carrying out your shenanigans on Earth. You're not getting away with it this time. No sneaking away and no hugging. Instead, you're going to take your medicine and like it," Funaho practically crowed. Misaki tried a last ditch effort. "Sis, there's a baby right next to us. You can't be yelling and screaming at me," Misaki said gamely.

Funaho had anticipated this already. Turning to Washu, she asked if Washu could ensure if the two of them had some privacy. Washu calmly pushed Ryoko's bed out of the lab, saying to call her when she was ready. Once they were alone, Funaho gave Misaki not only a piece of her mind, but whole enchilada. She cut her sister to shreds and then raked her over the coals, enjoying every minute. The dressing down might have lasted all day, except Washu suddenly appeared and said the soaps were on in five minutes. Funaho immediately stopped and pushed the floating bed to living room. She and Misaki then watched the soaps with everyone else, all thought about punishment forgotten. Afterward, Funaho spent time enjoying the visit. She was in a much better mood, now that Misaki had been brought to task for her excursions.

Washu was hard put to make her patients stay in bed. Both of them kept trying to get up, the enforced bed rest driving them crazy. Washu threatened to restrain them if they didn't obey her. "Honestly, you're worse than a couple of two-year olds. Neither one of you is any shape to be on your feet. Later tonight, I'll think about letting you up. Until then, STAY IN BED!!," Washu swore with an exasperated sigh. Deciding that those two would need constant observation, she told Funaho and Ayeka to keep an eye on them. Misaki gave up and read some reports Funaho had brought with her. Mayuka played with Ryoko some more and then settled down for a nap with her mother. Ryoko was more than happy to let May sleep on top of her, and catnapped with her. She wasn't concerned about the nightmares, since she could sense Ayeka next to her, as well as Funaho and Misaki.

After supper, Washu let them walk around for a short while. They had largely recovered though they did get tired easily. Washu told them that they were not to overexert themselves until she declared them fully healed. That included any use of powers, so Ryoko wasn't allowed to teleport, phase, or fly. Ryoko groaned since she had wanted to take Mayuka flying. Ayeka said she could use Azaka and Kamidake. Ryoko gratefully accepted. Ami said that she would hold their session in the lab, rather than make Ryoko climb all those stairs. At bedtime, Washu said Ryoko would be staying with her for the time being. She wanted to keep an eye on Ryoko in case of complications. Since Ryoko wasn't allowed to use her powers, May's bed would be brought into Washu's room as well.

A week later, Washu examined them and said they were fully recovered. Ryoko was glad to fly again and immediately went to get Mayuka. While riding the Guardians had been nice, Ryoko much preferred being in the driver's seat. She picked her daughter up and headed to the training arena. Now that Misaki was declared fully healed, she was going to have that "talk" with Yosho. Yosho had been dreading this all day, and was praying that Misaki would leave him still walking. Ryoko wasn't going to miss this for anything. Yosho tried to get Funaho to intercede, but she said this was Misaki's area of expertise. If she felt that he had been remiss in his duties, Funaho wasn't going to disagree. The discussion went as expected. While Misaki didn't break any bones, she did get her point across.

Ryoko's counseling sessions went much better now. She had used up all of the rage she had been suppressing, and was able to talk about how the rape had affected her. As fall progressed into winter, Ryoko's broken spirit healed and she began showing the warm and loving part of herself again. By Christmas, Ryoko was almost her old self again. Washu said it was good to see her daughter smiling again.

Ami found Christmas to be an enjoyable holiday. During the party, Ryoko discovered that she had a sweet tooth. She stuffed herself full of candy and learned what happened afterward. Washu let her suffer for a short while, before she took pity on Ryoko. "Typical kid, has to learn the hard way," Washu said. Ryoko groaned as she lay on the couch with a stomach ache. Mayuka didn't help matters when she climbed up on Ryoko and started bouncing. Ryoko's face turned green and she ran to the bathroom. She spent the next few minutes throwing up, to everyone's laughter. Washu gave Ryoko something to wash the taste out of her mouth and settle her stomach. "Next time you'll know better. In many ways Ryoko, you're still a child and still growing up. That's why I didn't stop you. I couldn't deny you this learning experience," Washu said with big smile.

After New Year's, Ami did an assessment on Ryoko. With the trial only two months away, it was vital to know if Ryoko was ready. Reviewing all the sessions, Ami decided that Ryoko could face her rapists in the courtroom without losing control. That was the good news. The bad news was Ryoko still was in mortal terror of the cave. If she took the stand and was forced to tell what happened, there was no predicting her reaction. Around November, Ami had taken Ryoko to the cave with Washu. They monitored her as she tried to go in. Ryoko was only able reach the small shrine that had housed Tenchi-ken before she froze completely. It took all of her strength just to make it that far, her mind screaming to run away. Whenever she visited before, it was just inside the gateway. Any further and she would feel like the cave was closing in around her.

Since Ryoko had clearly managed to put the rape behind her, Ami cut back on that area. She told Ryoko that if she ever felt the need to talk about it, the door was alway open. For now, Ami would concentrate on her life under Kagato. Since Kagato was dead, Ryoko no longer had any reason to fear him. Anytime they reached a point where Ryoko had trouble talking, Ami would remind her of this. The cave still existed, so this tactic didn't work. Ami decided that she would wait until after the trial to help Ryoko confront her terror. She also cut back on the length of their sessions, in part because she had to prepare her own testimony.

Just before Febuary, Ami was watching the soaps with everyone. They hadn't been able to hook her yet, but it wasn't for lack of trying. She just couldn't get into them like the rest of the family. A phone call from the Galactic Court came for her. She took the mobile unit into the next room for privacy. The others could hear her shouting something, and wondered what was going on. A few minutes later, Ami came back with a grave look on her face. "Ryoko, I just received word that I've been overruled. The court has ruled that since the defendants have the right to face their accusers, you must testify. The defense lawyers will most certainly ask you to tell what happened in the cave. I'm sorry but I couldn't convince .... RYOKO!!," Ami shouted. Washu had barely caught her daughter as Ryoko fell over in a dead faint.

Afterword: All right before I say anything else, I have a message to all you hentai reading this: GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER FOR THIS CHAPTER!! Sex is absolutely the last thing on Ryoko's mind while staying with Tenchi and Ayeka. She simply needs to be between two people in order to feel safe enough to sleep. As for when Tenchi and Ayeka are waiting for Ryoko during her punishment, do you honestly think that Misaki will allow ANY hanky panky, especially in a bed that is more than big enough to hold three people? While the subject matter is mature, this story is not and will never be a lemon. I have nothing against them, I simply don't want you to think that this story is one of them.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, onto the references. The picture that I've mentioned several times can be found in vol. 1 of the manga in a side strip on pg. 137. It is the only proof that I've found that Washu actually got to raise Ryoko. I never could learn if it was written for the manga or was it based on the original biography for Ryoko. I decided to use it anyway since it tied in with what I wanted to say in my story. As for Ryoko having a drinking problem, both the manga and OAV's, as well as "Manatsu no Eve", show Ryoko consuming more alcohol than anyone else. She is mentally and emotionally immature when she starts drinking, so it is very easy for her drinking to get out of hand. Episode 8 is where you can see Ryoko sucking her thumb while asleep.

In chapter 6, the criminal trial will take place. In order to be able to testify, Ryoko must confront her terror of the cave. I will only say that her solution will surprise you.













< br>













< br>













< br>