Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tears ❯ Trials ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Tears: Chapter 6

After Ryoko had recovered from her fainting spell, Ami had called the Galactic Court. She managed to convince the presiding judge to give her some extra time to prepare Ryoko. The trial date was moved back two months to the second week of May. Ami wished she could have gotten more time, but this was most the judge would allow. She feared that Ryoko wouldn't be able to overcome her terror of the cave. Ami looked at her patient. Ryoko sat on the couch, a haunted look on her face. Washu was holding her while gently reassuring Ryoko. "Ryoko, I'm canceling the rest of the session today. We'll start preparing you to testify tomorrow. For now, I want you to rest," Ami said.

For the rest of the day, Ami reviewed all the cases of isolation and any experiments of sensory deprivation she could find. She decided that the information would only be marginally useful, because Ryoko's case was so unique. Part of the problem was the sheer length of time Ryoko had spent trapped in the cave. No one had even come close to her record. Also, Ryoko had the mind of a child when she had been imprisoned. She had been unable to cope with the horror. Unlike the rape counseling, Ami had a very good idea of what was wrong with Ryoko. Kagato's block prevented Washu from talking with her daughter. She was still able to see and hear Ryoko's thoughts. It had been one of Kagato's little amusements letting Washu watch while he turned her child into a cold, unfeeling machine. As a result, Washu had been able to give Ami a detailed description of what happened in the cave.

The darkness and isolation had caused Ryoko to turn to the only source of stimulation she had, her memories. The shock of losing her gems had broken Kagato's brainwashing, so she had been able to truly see what she had done. She was forced to watch as her memories came to the surface and was unable to escape from them. Washu had managed to prevent her daughter from committing suicide, but otherwise Ryoko had no one to help her face the nightmare. The cave became the place where all her terrors, real or imagined, resided so when she had projected herself, Ryoko had refused to go back in. It had taken all of her courage to follow Tenchi back in, and only because she had regained her powers with the breaking of the seal. The light that Tenchi had seen was Ryoko using her power to banish the darkness.

When Ryoko had woken up in the cave again, she hadn't been able to cope. The nightmares she suffered from after she recovered was her remembering her imprisonment. Washu had guessed correctly that Ryoko needed to know she wasn't alone while she slept. She couldn't bear being left alone since that meant facing her nightmares. The horror of her time in the cave had seared itself so deep into Ryoko's consciousness that she could not face it. It had been a struggle just telling Tenchi that night on the school roof. She had only brushed the edge of how she felt. The night in the lab had almost been too much for her. Ami feared that being forced to tell what happened in the cave would break Ryoko. Somehow, Ami had to help Ryoko confront her terror and break its hold over her.

While Ami was researching, Ryoko was indeed resting. She mainly spent the day learning how to cook. Now that she had a sense of taste, Ryoko had become interested in cooking again. She had given up trying to cook several years back, after she and Ayeka were banned from the kitchen by Sasami. Their attempts to cook Tenchi a meal had almost destroyed the kitchen, so Sasami had declared the area off-limits without her direct supervision. She got the rest of the family to back her up, and things were quiet after that. When Ryoko had stopped her fighting with Ayeka, Ayeka had taken cooking lessons. By the time Mayuka showed up, she had progressed to the point where she could make a decent meal without supervision. Ryoko still needed supervision, but at least she could setup the ingredients in order and start cooking the meal. What bothered Sasami was the fact Ryoko couldn't follow a recipe. She had to be continually shown everything, even though the instructions were clearly written. Oddly, once Ryoko was shown what to do, she never had to be shown again. Sasami meant to find out why Ryoko was having so much trouble, since it was clear Ryoko was trying her best. On a lighter note, Sasami was glad she'd had Washu setup an alarm system for the food. A few weeks after Ryoko got her sense of taste back, she had snuck into the kitchen late one night and tried to eat everything she could. Her groaning from the stomach ache that followed had woken up the house. After Washu gotten her daughter settled, she had put a lock impervious to Ryoko's powers on the cabinets and referigerator and food shed. Only Sasami and Tenchi had the keys. Washu had kept a close eye on Ryoko then, until she had gotten used to having a sense of taste again. Once Ryoko got herself under control, Washu unlocked the food during the night again.

After supper, Washu took Ryoko and May to the onsen. Ryoko was still tense from the news and a nice hot bath would help calm her. Too, Washu treasured these moments with her daughter. Ryoko was a grown woman and Washu had learned to accept this. The child Ryoko had been was gone forever. Washu would never be able to see her daughter grow up. What she could do was help Ryoko find herself and heal her soul. As they relaxed in the steaming water, Ryoko wished she could have some sake. Alcohol was no longer an option for her however. After she had recovered from her fight, Washu had made her show where all her other stashes were. Washu tossed all of the bottles in the trash and then laid down the rules. Until Ryoko's emotional problems were healed, she was forbidden from alcohol of any kind. The cooking sake was locked up with Sasami having the key. Nobuyuki's sake was similarly secured and the keys given to him and Yosho. Washu said it was past time she lived up to her responsiblities. Had she put her foot down on Ryoko's drinking sooner, the drinking binge could have been avoided.

Come bedtime, Washu decided to have Ryoko stay with her that night. Even though she was calm now, Ryoko was still on edge. As she tucked her daughter into bed, Washu maintained the link with Ryoko. She was determined that Ryoko would not have any bad dreams to disturb her sleep. Tomorrow would be enough of a nightmare. Holding her in a warm, protective embrace, Washu gently sang Ryoko to sleep after Minagi got into bed. No nightmares disturbed her daughter's rest, for which Washu was profoundly grateful. Ryoko would need all of her strength to confront her terror.

Shortly after breakfast, Ami started working with Ryoko. Time was at a premium, so Ami was going to hold all day sessions. She didn't expect to cure Ryoko. What she wanted was to get Ryoko to the point where she could talk about the cave without breaking. Unfortunately, that was going to be a tall order. Mindful of what happened before, Ami approached the problem obliquely. She had Ryoko tell what happened when she managed to project herself. It wasn't easy for Ryoko to talk about even this, but she managed. Little by little, Ami worked backward to being the in cave itself. Ryoko froze at this point and wouldn't talk anymore. Ami then started asking Ryoko about her fight with Yosho. Ryoko could only speak in general terms, since like Yosho, the majority of the fight was a blur to her. She clearly remembered the pain of being stabbed by Tenchiken and the loss of her gems. When Ami asked what she remembered next, Ryoko turned white. Shivering uncontrollably, she cried and begged Ami not ask any more.

Ami stopped at this point since it was almost lunchtime anyway. During lunch, she planned her next move. Ryoko was still shivering and was sipping some hot tea. Ami decided that until a breakthrough was achieved, it would be best to have Washu attend the sessions as well. Ryoko would need support while the cave held its grip on her. Once Ryoko could talk about the cave, Ami would then resume the sessions alone. Also, the psychic link between them might prove useful. Ami was fairly sure that Ryoko was actively suppressing her memories of the cave. If Ami couldn't bring the memories out into open by conventional means, she would have Washu use the link to break the lock. Ami was leery of doing this because of the shock it would cause, but Ryoko had to overcome her fear. If the morning's session was any indication, putting Ryoko on the witness stand would destroy her.

After lunch and the soaps, Ami resumed working on Ryoko. She asked Ryoko about the day of the attack. Again, Ryoko froze at the mere thought of waking in that hellhole once more and being unable to escape. This time, Ami pushed her to try talking. Washu encouraged her daughter as well. They both kept at her until Ryoko finally broke down. Tears streaming from her eyes, she cried out that she was trapped in the darkness alone. Ami immediately ended the session. Ryoko had gone as far she could for now. It wasn't the breakthrough Ami wanted, but at least Ryoko had said something instead of freezing. Tomorrow, Ami would try to build on this, but for now Ryoko needed to recover. Washu led her sobbing daughter back to the house. It was still two hours before dinner, so Washu made Ryoko lay down on the couch. Mayuka came running up to her mother then. She had missed Ryoko and happily climbed onto the couch with her. Ryoko began tossing her daughter up into air, laughing with May. A few minutes later, she brought May down next to her. Mayuka put her arms around her mother and curled up for a nap. Soon, both mother and daughter were fast asleep.

Washu sat next to her on the floating cushion. While Ryoko slept, she worked on a problem that had been nagging at her for months. Washu had noticed something odd about Ryoko's physical data from the rape. While she was in good health, the readings were...off. She had noticed similar readings when she fixed it so Ryoko could breast feed Mayuka. Try as she might, she couldn't pin it down. Just looking at the data brought back the image of Ryoko lying broken and helpless in the cave. Her stomach still turned at the thought that her daughter had been raped. Rubbing her temples, Washu admitted to herself she was just too close to Ryoko. She couldn't be objective enough to figure out what was going on. Looking at Ryoko and Mayuka, Washu decided it was a price she would gladly pay. After the trial, Washu would have her old friend Yume visit and look at the data. Yume's genius matched her own, and she'd be able to figure out what was wrong. Sighing, Washu shut down her terminal and gently stroked Ryoko's hair. Ryoko stirred slightly and then settled back down.

Ryoko and Mayuka both had to be woken up for dinner. At the table, Ryoko took May's attempts to feed herself in stride. Everyone was hard put to keep a straight face as May sent the majority of her food into Ryoko's face. Mayuka giggled at how Mommy looked, which didn't help matters any. Ryoko ended up having feed May herself and then wash up before she was able to have her own dinner. After dinner, she took May into the playroom. May had a lot of energy to burn up before bedtime and Ryoko wanted to play with her daughter. The day's session had brought back memories she desperately wanted to avoid thinking about. Being with Mayuka helped hold those memories at bay. Ryoko knew that tomorrow Ami would push her once more, but for now she could forget about that hellish nightmare.

Tenchi and Ayeka were her sleeping partners that night. She pleaded with Tenchi to hold her. This was the first time she had actually had Tenchi hold her in bed. Surprised at this request, Tenchi nevertheless put out his arm for her. Ryoko curled next to him and rested her head on his shoulder. Ayeka fought down a surge of jealously. The night of Ryoko's punishment, she had slept next to Tenchi while waiting. Misaki had watched the two of them the entire time. She had let Tenchi hold her daughter, but said anything else would result in him facing her wrath. The cracking of her knuckles emphasized this point. Even with this setback, it had been wonderful for Ayeka. Ever since then, Ayeka had wanted sleep in her true love's arms again. She knew Ryoko was just shook up from her session, but still she wished it was Tenchi next to her.

Ayeka was very surprised when Ryoko reached behind herself and pulled Ayeka next to her. "Ayeka, I need you to hold me too," Ryoko said. Ayeka looked at Ryoko curiously, but draped her arm around Ryoko. Intertwining her fingers with Ayeka's, Ryoko tried to relax. The session had shook her more than she thought and she needed to be comforted. She heard Ayeka sigh under her breath and turned to face her. "Ayeka, what's wrong? I'm not trying to do anything with Tenchi," Ryoko asked.

"No, it's not that Ryoko," Ayeka replied,"I just wish I could cuddle up next to Tenchi like that."

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but even not counting the time you spent in suspended animation, according to Jurain law you are an adult, aren't you? Why don't you just sleep with Tenchi alone tomorrow night?", Ryoko said.

Ayeka looked at her in shock. She reminded Ryoko that she was the First Princess of Jurai and was expected to act with proper decorum. Besides which, her mother would probably go through the roof if she did something like that.

"Ayeka, don't you think it's time you stood up to Misaki? I'm not saying to have sex with Tenchi, just make your mother understand you are grown up now. She should trust you to be able to make the right decision, and not treat you like a child. Besides which, can you think of a better way to get back at her for making you call her 'Mommy' like she does.", Ryoko said.

Ayeka thought about what Ryoko had said. Her mother did seem to have trouble understanding her daughter was no longer a little girl. She loved her mother, but honestly, calling her "Mommy!!" in that baby voice Misaki insisted on, drove her absolutely bonkers. It was indeed past time that she had it out with her mother. Misaki was going to have to accept the fact Ayeka was an adult now and capable of making her own decisions. She would have to trust in her's and Azusa's upbringing of their daughter. Still, one question did remain. "Ryoko, doesn't this put you at a disadvantage? I get to be with Tenchi alone, but you have to have me and Tenchi with you," Ayeka wondered.

"No, not really. I'm still Mayuka's mother. This just lets you catch up with me in getting to cuddle up next to Tenchi. Tenchi still owes me time alone with him from when he went to Jurai. I just want the same number of days up to the day before the news conference. I don't count when Kiyone told you what happened or afterwards, since that wasn't a vacation by any means.", Ryoko stated.

Satisfied with Ryoko's answer, Ayeka settled next to her. She was already planning on what to say to her mother. Ayeka didn't kid herself that Misaki would just accede to her request. It would probably turn into a fight that matched hers and Ryoko's, or Washu and Ryoko's. The result would be worth it, however. Sensing Ryoko fall asleep, Ayeka dreamed about being in Tenchi's warm, loving arms. She soon fell asleep, a smile of contentment on her lips.

Tenchi, meanwhile, was more than a little worried. He thought Misaki would make life a living hell for him if Ayeka went through with Ryoko's suggestion. Tenchi did not want to be caught in another crossfire again. He'd gotten used to not being fought over like some trophy. He couldn't deny that it had been nice to cuddle up next to her that night, just like it was nice having Ryoko curl up next to him now. Praying that he'd make it through tomorrow in one piece, Tenchi settled down to sleep as well.

The next day, Ami again asked Ryoko about the day of the attack. She kept pushing Ryoko to say what happened when she woke up. As much as she hated doing this to her patient, Ami knew that the defense lawyers would be far worse. It was an old tactic to discredit the victim, and Ryoko was still thought of as the "demon space pirate" by many. Breaking her on the stand would a feather in the defense's cap. Throughout the morning, Ryoko tried to tell her what happened, but all she could manage was the fact she couldn't escape. Try as she might, she couldn't describe the horror of being trapped in the cave.

Lunchtime, the three women walked into a war zone. Ayeka and Misaki were having a full blown argument in the lab. As Ayeka had guessed, her mother had hit the roof. While most definitely a free spirit like Ryoko, Misaki still didn't like the thought of her daughter sleeping with Tenchi alone. She did trust Ayeka and Tenchi, but it was the way Ayeka stated her intentions that rubbed her the wrong way. She had asked Misaki to join her in the lab for a private talk. Once inside, Ayeka said simply she was an adult now and was going to sleep with Tenchi that night.

Misaki's face had turned crimson and she was fit to be tied. "And what makes you think I'll let you do such a thing? ", she said in tightly controlled voice.

"Mother, it's time you accepted the fact I am no longer a little girl. I am fully aware of my responsiblities as First Princess, but that doesn't mean I can't find some happiness. Tenchi and I love each other and I want to be with him. I'm not going to have sex with him, just cuddle up to him," Ayeka responded in the same tone.

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU, CALL ME MOMMY!!", Misaki screamed

"NO!!! STOP TREATING ME LIKE A CHILD!!", Ayeka screamed back. Things had deteriorated after that. By the time Washu entered the lab, both of them were arguing nonstop. Taking the situation in, she pulled a whistle out and blew an ear-piercing shriek. Both Ayeka and Misaki clutched their heads as the sound penetrated into the inner ear and bones.

"In case you haven't noticed, it's lunchtime. If you can call a truce until after our soaps, I'll open up the training room in the lab. You can pound each other into the ground without disturbing anyone else. ", Washu said.

Glaring at each other, Misaki and Ayeka agreed. After enjoying the soaps, Washu led them to the training room. Saying she hoped they'd settle things by supper, she left to join Ami and Ryoko. Ayeka and Misaki didn't waste energy arguing, they simply started pounding each other. Neither fought with their full power, this was just a way to blow off the anger that had built up. After several hours of this, Misaki held up her hand.

"All right Ayeka, You can sleep with Tenchi. Maybe it is time I started trusting you. You do realize that I'll have to call your father. He'll probably have a stroke, but I'll bring him around.", Misaki said with resignation.

"Does that mean I don't have to call you Mommy?", Ayeka asked eagerly.

Misaki looked at her daughter and a malicious gleam came into her eyes. "Sorry Little Ayeka, that's one thing that I won't change. Now give your mommy a big hug," she said sweetly. Knowing when to quit while she was ahead, Ayeka gave in. Misaki left Ayeka grinding her teeth and went to call Azusa. While he didn't have a stroke, his bellowing was heard clear across the palace. It took Misaki's personal guarantee that nothing would happen to get his agreement. Like Misaki, Azusa did trust his daughter. However, as Emperor, he had to think about how this would appear. Ayeka was still unmarried and sleeping in the same bed with Tenchi would definitely be viewed by some on the Council as scandalous. By demanding Misaki act as chaperone, he was protecting Ayeka's reputation.

Tenchi, however, wasn't quite so lucky. After calling Jurai, Misaki decided he needed some more training. Throughout the "workout", she kept dropping little "hints" that he'd better be on his best behavior from now on. Misaki punctuated each statement with what she called "love taps" that knocked the wind right out of him. She ended the match by slamming him on the ground. Putting her knee on his chest, she grabbed his balls and gave a good healthy squeeze. "Any funny stuff Tenchi, and I'll finish claiming these. I'm letting Ayeka sleep with you because you have been good for her. That doesn't mean you can fool around with her. Just keep in mind I'll be watching you VERY closely. Of course, if you decide to actually marry my little girl, then I'll have no objections," she said sweetly. Misaki then picked him up and gave a warm hug that almost crushed his already sore ribs.

Tenchi staggered out of the training arena and back to the house. Ryoko had finished with her session and was at the house waiting for him. She and Ayeka both fussed over him, sympathizing with his aches and pains. He was too sore and tired to object, and he didn't really mind Ayeka massaging his muscles. Misaki's "love taps" hurt worse than Yosho's whacks across the head. Ryoko, meanwhile, held onto Mayuka, letting her know Papa was all right. She really couldn't blame Misaki since she'd be doing the same thing if some boy wanted to date Mayuka. Thankfully, it would be a long time before May was old enough to date.

During supper and afterward, Misaki was unusually quiet. She had spent most of the afternoon thinking, coming to terms that Ayeka was indeed all grown up. Now she was looking at Sasami, trying to see her youngest daughter as she really was, not as Misaki thought of her. Misaki started as she realized Sasami was becoming a teenager. She was much taller than when she had landed on Earth, and was filling out quite nicely as well. This brought up something else. Sasami had no one her own age in the house, and was spending far too much time at home. She really needed to get out and make friends her own age. Misaki understood why Ryoko stayed at the house so much, and Ayeka had recently come out of her shell. The question was how to get Sasami out of the house? Misaki didn't want Sasami growing up feeling she was alone. That had been her mistake with Ayeka. Azusa had wanted to send Ayeka to the Galaxy Academy, same as Yosho. Misaki had overruled him, and had Ayeka privately tutored.

After supper, Misaki had a talk with Washu. She'd had an idea and wanted Washu's input. While on Earth, Washu had been handling Sasami's and Ayeka's education. Misaki wanted Sasami to attend school and let Washu teach only the subjects that couldn't be taught on Earth. This way Sasami could have a more normal upbringing. Had Ayeka gone to the Academy, she would have met people of her own age and rank. She could have made friends that she could talk to, rather than hide behind a shell. Misaki was eternally grateful to Ryoko and Tenchi for getting Ayeka stop acting like a snobbish princess. More than once, she had wanted to give Ayeka some much needed tough love. Misaki had never had the heart to do what was needed. She remembered how she had to comfort Washu when she had punished Ryoko. After Ryoko had been put to bed, Misaki had to keep reassuring Washu that she had done the right thing. Making Ryoko suffer, when she had been through so much already, had shaken Washu. She still felt guilty for the night in the lab, and had never wanted to hurt Ryoko again. Misaki had to remind her that this time Ryoko had done something clearly wrong. Her punishment hadn't done any damage to her, and Washu made sure to monitor Ryoko's well being. Had Kagato punished her for a perceived wrong, he would have beaten her and just left her to heal on her own.

Washu agreed wholeheartedly with Misaki's idea. She promised to make up the necessary documents in the morning. The school year didn't start until April, so Misaki had time to take her daughter shopping for supplies. Washu could have whipped everything up in the lab, but Misaki wanted to spend some time with her daughter. Once that was settled, Misaki announced to the family that Sasami would be going to school on Earth.

Sasami protested, remembering how late Tenchi would arrive from school. "Mommy, who's going cook for everyone?", she asked.

Misaki glared at her, not wanting to hear any objections. "Washu's already told me she'd take over cooking the meals. You should be out meeting people and having some fun, not cooped up here. My mind's made up Sasami, and I don't want to hear any more. ", she stated.

Sasami's protest was lame indeed. She was entering her teenage years and was beginning to rebel against her parent's authority. Ayeka had also rebelled in her own way when she went looking for Yosho. Misaki remembered how she had fought with her own mother as a teenager and had the law laid down on her when she stepped too far out of line. Now she found herself having to discipline her own child. Were her own mother here, she'd be laughing herself silly. Misaki had always wondered why her mother kept saying "Wait until you have children of your own," and found out the hard way when Ayeka was born. Muttering to herself about know-it-all parents, Misaki went to get ready for a nice hot bath. She saw Sasami get a conniving look on her face and guessed what she had in mind.

"Don't even think about getting your father to go against me on this one. I called him already and he also wants you to go to school. You've had it easy until now, but the vacation is over. ", she said with an impish grin. Misaki left her youngest daughter fuming and headed for the onsen. Sasami had wanted to attend school, but she wanted to bring the subject up. Instead her mother had ordered her around like she was still a child. She turned to the rest of the family and glared at everyone.

"I don't want to hear anything from anyone or I swear I'll put this whole house on bread and water.", she said slowly. Sasami then went up to her room to sulk. Everyone except for Washu sat around looking confused. They all thought she'd be glad to attend school and make new friends. Ryoko especially didn't understand, since Sasami was being given something that had been denied her. Washu recognized the reason for Sasami's outburst. She wasn't too concerned, since Sasami had too kind a heart and personality to stay like this. Besides, Misaki's idea reminded Washu that she had to deal with another of Ryoko's problems.

That night it was Misaki's and Sasami's turn. Sasami had finished sulking and was looking forward to attending school. She just wished her mother hadn't ordered her like that, especially in front of the whole family. As they all got into bed, Ryoko told them she wished she could have gone to school. Candidly, she admitted that had she gone when she first was released, she'd have brought unwanted attention. Between her jealousy, temper, and lack of any social skills, Ryoko would have been nothing but trouble for Tenchi. By the time she stopped fighting with Ayeka, Tenchi had graduated and gone to college. When Misaki asked why didn't she attend college with Tenchi, Ryoko stammered and said she had made peace with Ayeka. Attending college alone with Tenchi would start the fights again.

Both Misaki and Sasami were suspicious of her answer. It had sounded like she was hiding something, since Ayeka would have trusted them. When Sasami pointed this out to Ryoko, Ryoko admitted that large crowds made her nervous. She had been alone for almost all her life, and still had trouble being around strangers. Her trips to Kurashiki had always been brief, usually for some sake. Any extended trips into Kurashiki or Tokyo had always been with the family. Sasami accepted this and told Ryoko not to worry, she had been also been nervous when she competed on "Ferrous Chef" in front of all those people. She said that she just had to believe in herself. Ryoko sighed and said she'd think about it. They both settled down to sleep.

Misaki was still awake, however. While it sounded like Ryoko was telling the truth, her answer was too quick. Misaki had sat in enough interrogations to know when to continue probing for the truth. Her curiousity was definitely piqued now. Paying Ryoko's medical bills and prosecuting her rapists was the responsibility of the Jurai Royal Family as a whole, because of Yosho's actions. Misaki felt she owed Ryoko a personal debt for straightening Ayeka out. She decided to talk with Washu and find out why Ryoko never went to school with Tenchi. Maybe there was some way she could help Ryoko. With that thought, Misaki also went to sleep.

Meanwhile, Tenchi and Ayeka were asleep in each other's arms. He thought Misaki would stand over them until they fell asleep, and was greatly relieved when she didn't even watch them enter his room. Ayeka told him not to let her mother fool him. Misaki could dead asleep one second and in the blink of an eye be wide awake the next. She was most definitely watching and listening. Besides, knowing Misaki, his room was probably bugged. In that Ayeka was indeed correct. Washu had already installed a monitoring system in May's room in case of emergencies. Misaki had asked Washu to adapt it for keeping an eye on Tenchi and Ayeka. She may have agreed to let Ayeka and Tench sleep together, but she had also promised Azusa that nothing would happen.

As it turned out, it wasn't until the beginning of March that Misaki was able to talk with Washu. The sessions with Ami were taking a tremendous toll on Ryoko. At the end of each day, she'd return to house shaken and tired. Ami and Washu both kept pushing her to talk about what happened in the cave, but with only very limited success. Ryoko could only say either she was unable to escape or she was alone in the darkness. After the session's end, Washu would be kept busy keeping an eye Ryoko afterward. She agreed with Ami that Ryoko was in no shape to be left alone. Usually, Ryoko would take Mayuka into the playroom and either watch some movies with her or play games. Other times, they'd go for a walk in the woods. Being with her daughter was a needed counterbalance to the horrific memories of her time in the cave.

The sessions were also affecting Ryoko in other ways. Ever since Washu had her sleep between two people, Ryoko would fall asleep almost instantly. When she had her gem taken away, sleep had become even more important. Until now, she'd slept like a log, usually waking refreshed. Somedays she'd wake before the others in bed and just lay there, feeling warm and happy. Now her sleep was far more restless. On several occasions, Ryoko had been heard talking in her sleep. She had pleaded to be let out, that it was cold and dark. In the morning, Ryoko would wake up bleary eyed and tired. Washu was increasingly concerned for her daughter's health, fearing the nightmares would start again.

Acting on a hunch one night, Washu had Mayuka stay with her mother as well. The prescence of her daughter let Ryoko sleep normally again. While they were asleep, Washu entered Ryoko's mind and scanned her brain activity. She avoided Ryoko's memories and concentrated on the part that controlled her telepathic powers. Washu had long known Ryoko could speak telepathically with other people besides her blood relatives and Ryo-Ohki. It was her telepathic call for Tenchi that had been her first clue Zero was impersonating her daughter. That idiotic twit Clay dismissed Ryoko's cry for help. When she linked with Ryoko to check on her, she had noted the personality differences, along with Ryo-Ohki's reactions. She knew Ryoko was still alive and unharmed, so she had been able to concentrate on finding out the Zero's real identity. In his insufferable arrogance, Old Octopus-head didn't realize that Zero was reaching self awareness with the continual assimilations. It had been her acquiring Ryoko's love for Tenchi that had given her the strength to break free.

Even though Zero was effectively Ryoko, there was still a small part of her identity that was her own. When they merged, Washu had seen to it that small piece was preserved. Zero's love for Tenchi had combined with Ryoko's and temporarily overwhelmed the facade Ryoko usually maintained. Now Zero's consciousness resided in Ryoko's mind, experiencing life through her. Zero acted as Ryoko's conscience, trying to get her to act as a better person. She couldn't directly control Ryoko, only talk to her. It had been an uphill battle, but with Mayuka's appearance and Washu making peace with her, Ryoko was finally being her true self.

Zero wasn't locked in Ryoko's mind however. Ryoko would frequently let her take control of the body they shared. Zero got to experience taking care of Mayuka for herself and found it just as enjoyable as Ryoko did. Mayuka would notice when Zero was active, but accepted her as well. Also whenever Ryoko split herself, Zero's consciousness resided in the twin body. Ryoko was still the dominant personality, but she never abused her other half. She argued with her other self, but always treated Zero with respect. Both of them had been slaves, and Ryoko knew Zero was a person in her own right. Their relationship was that of identical twins. Even though she would fight like hell to admit it, Ryoko did deeply care for her "sister".

The second time in the cave had overwhelmed Zero as well. She experienced Ryoko's pure horror and fear and had retreated into the recesses of Ryoko's mind with her. Even after Ryoko recovered, Zero avoided the memories of the cave. It was too much for her own mind to cope with. She understood the importance of Ryoko facing her memories, and tried to help in her own way. Because she felt the same things Ryoko did, she was only able to comfort Ryoko after the sessions.

Now she greeted Washu as she entered Ryoko's mind. Washu told Zero that she was merely checking something out, and Zero had best go to sleep when she left. Zero asked Washu to tuck her in first. Mentally smiling to herself, Washu let Zero lead her to her place in Ryoko's mind. A bed similar to Washu's appeared and Zero got under the blankets. Tucking the blankets in, Washu kissed her goodnight. She watched as Zero went to sleep. Zero was like a daughter to Washu now. After Clay had finally gotten over the truth about his precious chamberpot, Washu had sent him a letter. She took great pleasure in telling him that Zero was now a free sentient being, and was calling Washu her mother. To add insult to injury, Zero personally called Clay a "big fat octopus-head" and was glad to be rid of him. Finally, Washu had the Galactic Court declare her Zero's legal guardian. When Clay read the letter, he had screamed for months that Washu had ruined his prized creation.

Once Zero was asleep, Washu went back to her original task. She had noticed that Ryoko seemed to know what May was doing even when she wasn't around her. Washu suspected that Ryoko was forming a telepathic bond with Mayuka. How deep the bond ran and was it both ways like the other bonds she already had was what Washu needed to find out. Once inside the section controlling Ryoko's telepathy, Washu scanned all of her links. Almost immediately, Washu found what she was looking for. Ryoko had indeed formed a telepathic bond with her adopted daughter. It operated on the subconscious level and appeared to mainly receive May's thoughts. This was something that required immediate attention. Even though Ryoko was only receiving now, Washu could not take the chance of Ryoko broadcasting her thoughts with no training. Mayuka's mind was still forming, and if she picked up some of Ryoko's darker thoughts and memories, permanent damage would result. Ryoko had to be taught how to control her mind now. Tomorrow, she'd teach Ryoko how to screen her thoughts in order to prevent accidentally sending them to May. She'd also show her how to consciously listen to May's mind. Washu remembered when she had listened to Ryoko's own mind during her infancy. It was a strange and wonderful experience and Ryoko deserved the same chance with Mayuka.

The next morning, Washu got Ami to cancel the day's session so she could teach Ryoko the necessary skills. Ami agreed to Washu's request, but said the next day she wanted to try something. Since she wasn't getting anywhere, Ami wanted to use hypnosis to help Ryoko remember her time in the cave. If that didn't work, she'd have Washu go into Ryoko's mind and open up those memories. Reluctantly, Washu went along with Ami's plan. Once that was settled, Washu spent the day working on Ryoko's telepathy skills. Both Ryoko and Zero were amazed at the things they felt from May. Washu then taught Ryoko how keep her own thoughts from being transmitted across the link. She stressed the importance of this lesson, saying now wasn't the time for Ryoko to talk with May through their link. Once May was older, Ryoko could speak mind-to-mind with her daughter under Washu's supervision. Ryoko accepted this, but wished she could try speaking now.

Ami spent the majority of the day planning for the next day's sessions. The sessions were taking a toll on her also. She hadn't been able to enjoy any real quality time with Kansuke since the call from the Galactic Court. Even after the sessions ended for the day, Ami had to review them and collate all the material. She wanted to be able to take a break from this and just relax for a while. After this damn trial was over, Ami promised herself that she'd take a vacation with her son. Too, she'd be able to keep much more sensible hours for Ryoko's therapy sessions.

The next day Ami held the session in the lab. She needed Washu to monitor Ryoko while she was under hypnosis. Before they started, Washu had Ryoko split herself. She didn't want Zero to experience Ryoko's terror again. After the session, she could rejoin with Ryoko and help her cope. Until then, Zero was to look after Mayuka. Things started well enough as Ryoko was easily put into a hypnotic trance. Ami started asking Ryoko what happened when she awoke in the cave again.

Shivering with cold, Ryoko said,"Is this a dream? No, this is real. I have to get out. Wait, I can't move!! "

Ami then asked her,"Why can't you escape? What's wrong?"

"My powers are gone!! Mommy! Where are you? Someone answer me please!"

"Go on Ryoko, what happened to you?", Ami asked gently. She sensed they were reaching a critical point. If Ryoko could speak about the cave and be made to consciously remember the events, the breakthrough Ami wanted would be achieved.

Ryoko then screamed,"OH NO!! I CAN'T PROJECT MYSELF!! I'M TRAPPED IN HERE!!!". Her eyes snapped open as she screamed in terror. Even hypnotized, Ryoko couldn't face her fear of the cave. Washu held Ryoko close while she regained her self control. Ryoko's whole body shook violently from the memory of being trapped again.

Ami knew that there was no point to trying to go any further using hypnosis. Ryoko's scars went too deep into her consciousness for it to work. They had been so close to a breakthrough, too. For the first time, Ryoko had admitted what triggered her retreat from reality. If only she could have said what she experienced in the cave. Ami decided that she had no choice now, Washu would have to go into Ryoko's mind and unlock those memories.

Once Ryoko got herself under control again, Washu opened the lab and had Zero merge once more. Ami canceled the rest of the day's session, even though it was several hours before lunch. Since it was Friday, Washu suggested they all take a needed break. Until Monday, no one was to even mention the cave or the trial. This way, everyone could start fresh next week.

Ryoko and Ami enthusiactically agreed. Ami headed for the playroom with Kansuke, determined to enjoy every minute. Ryoko took Mayuka to the training grounds. It had been awhile since she had worked out with Sasami, and she wanted to see how Sasami was doing. True to her promise, Ryoko had been Sasami's training partner ever since the fight with Misaki. Sasami had come a long way under both of their tutelage. While no fighter, she knew the basics of defending herself and how to avoid trouble. Also, Ryoko wanted to start May's training. She would work on May's balance and coordination. Washu had confirmed that it was safe to do this, as long as Ryoko went slowly and didn't push.

That night after supper, Misaki sought out Washu. Ryoko was in the onsen with other women in the household, so now was the time to talk to her. When Misaki asked why Ryoko never attended school with Tenchi, an expression of deep pain crossed Washu's face. Ami was also present, having discussed her plans for a day trip to Tokyo with her son.

"What's wrong Washu?", Misaki asked, concerned now.

"Ryoko didn't attend school or college for a very good reason. She's been hiding a secret ever since she got out.", Washu replied, her voice full of pain and sadness.

"I don't understand," Ami said, now curious as well.

"My own daughter is functionally illiterate. Her reading and comprehension skills aren't even that of a first grade child on Earth.", Washu practically sobbed.

"That's impossible! We heard her read Mayuka's adoption papers," Misaki replied.

"No you didn't. That was me using our link to look through her eyes and read to her what she saw. When was the last time any of you saw Ryoko read a book or even text on a screen, other than comics?", Washu asked.

Both Ami and Misaki stopped to consider Washu's words. It dawned on them that she was right. Ayeka and Sasami were avid readers and had gone through Nobuyuki's library. Kiyone and Mihoshi also spent time reading. Of course, it went with out saying that Washu was well read. Yet neither of them could remember Ryoko ever reading a book. Even the comics in the library were rarely looked at by Ryoko. They looked at Washu in shock as the implications set in.

"How did this happen and how come she's been able to hide it for so long?", Misaki asked in a horrified voice.

"She's functionally illiterate, not completely. Ryoko knows the hiragana and katakana alphabets, as well as some of the more common kanji. The same goes for Galactic and Jurain scripts. However, that's all she really knows. She has to sound out each letter and form the words in her mind. Basic signs she's learned to recognize over the years. As to how this happened, you can thank Kagato for this, may he rot in the lowest level of hell for eternity."

"Kagato abducted Ryoko just before her fifth birthday. Don't ask me about that day, because now isn't the time. When he took her, Ryoko had just started learning to read. She showed every promise of being a child prodigy in her own right. I didn't push because I wanted her to learn at her own pace. Kagato did everything in his power to destroy the desire to learn in her. He wanted an unthinking slave, someone who would obey without question. He most definitely didn't want someone who could read, because that would mean she could think for herself. Ryoko might realize she was a human being and her life had worth. Slaves aren't supposed think for themselves, only obey," Washu said bitterly.

"What did Kagato do?", Ami asked now.

"What didn't he do is more like it. He brainwashed and tortured her for years. By the time she went on her first mission, Ryo-Ohki had more spirit than her. Only a spark of independence remained. On that mission, she was sent to retrieve something. She spotted a children's book while headed back. It looked pretty to her, so she brought it back with her. Kagato went berserk when he saw with her with a book. He made Ryoko destroy it with her powers. After that, he smashed her hands and put out her eyes, making sure she felt all the pain. Once she regenerated herself, Kagato told her that books were not meant for garbage like her. Ryoko learned to hide herself after, but she was never allowed a chance to read again. She was allowed to know only things she needed to complete her missions. Kagato would implant the knowledge directly into her, thus making sure she never learned for herself. "

"What he couldn't prevent was Ryoko learning things by simply leaving the ship. Each time she left Soja, she learned a little more. When she found the Nameless Tree, Ryoko could think for herself, but Kagato had long since broken her will completely. The Nameless Tree awoke her spirit once more, but she wasn't able to handle the emotions, so she locked away all memories of the encounter. It wasn't until after Kagato's death that she even started to read again. She managed to teach herself the alphabets, but convinced herself that she didn't need to learn any more than that. Anytime she needed to read something important to her, like that manga quiz for the perfect mate, she'd have me read it to her. I did this in the hopes of reaching her, but with no luck. Part of the reason she hated me was because she couldn't read. The daughter of the greatest mind in the galaxy is barely able to read and write. She thought I was ashamed of her, and I didn't help matters any. Now she thinks she's too old to learn how to read. It's nothing more than an excuse to avoid facing her shame."

"Ryoko's shown me more than once that she has a brain. The fact that she spends time watching educational programs proves that Kagato didn't destroy the desire to learn in her. All I need is something to get past that wall of denial she's put up. I know exactly why she's never been able to improve her reading skills and how to fix it. If she'd just give me a chance, I can open up whole new worlds of learning for her. You've taught before Misaki, so you know as well as I that before you can teach, the student must want to learn. That's what I've never been able to find, something that would spark her desire to learn.", Washu said sadly. She felt strangely at peace, now she had unburdened herself of this horrible secret.

Misaki sat back on the couch thinking. Having taught the martial arts for years, Misaki knew Washu was correct. Unless someone wanted to learn, the best teacher in the universe could do nothing. It must be torture for Washu, knowing her daughter couldn't read. Misaki remembered when she had read with her children as well as Azusa and Funaho. The family discussions had been lively and fun. Suddenly the answer dawned on her. Washu probably hadn't thought of it because it would bring back too many painful memories.

"Tell me Washu, did you ever read bedtime stories to Ryoko?", Misaki asked coyly.

Washu's head snapped up so fast that her neck could be heard loud and clear as it popped. Both Ami and Misaki saw her face as Washu's mind started working, kicked into overdrive, then light speed, and finally warp speed. It was almost comical to watch, but they both knew better. Then before Misaki knew what was happening, Washu was squeezing the breath out of her. Over and over, Washu was saying, "Thank You!!", while crying on Misaki's shoulder. Misaki had given Washu her starting point. Washu had indeed read bedtime stories to Ryoko and Ryo-Ohki. Now it was time for Ryoko to do the same with Mayuka. All Washu had to do was tell Ryoko that she would no longer cover for her. If Ryoko wanted to read to her daughter, she would have to improve herself. From there, Washu would instill in Ryoko the desire to read on her own. Later that night, Washu went to bed happier than she'd been in a long time. Ryoko's illiteracy was an open sore to her, and now that damage would at last be undone.

The next morning, Washu told Ryoko that she was to report to the lab. Grumbling, Ryoko obeyed. She had wanted to spend the day with Mayuka. Washu said that she had something important to discuss and didn't want to hear any objections. Entering the lab, she saw a classroom filled with books, her mother behind a teacher's desk, and a single desk with notebooks, pens, and pencils waiting for her. Washu pointed to the other desk and told her to sit down. The look on Washu's face and the tone of her voice, convinced Ryoko that her mother meant business.

"Ryoko, it's past time you learned to read. We both know you've been avoiding trying to learn. As of now, I will no longer read for you.", Washu stated.

"But Mom, I have tried more than once. Each time I've failed to make any real progress. I don't think I'll ever be able to read like a normal person.", Ryoko whined.

"STOP WHINING!!! You are perfectly capable of learning how to read. You simply need someone to show you how. Or don't you want to read to Mayuka?", Washu said, playing her trump card.

Ryoko fell silent at Washu's last sentence. She knew Achika and Noboyuki had read to Tenchi when he young. She had also seen Funaho read to Mayuka and wished she could do the same. Ryoko had always been afraid to admit she couldn't read. Now she would have no choice, since Washu had taken away her last option.

"What do I have to do, put myself into one of your machines?", Ryoko asked, a note of desperation in her voice.

"No, because then you wouldn't really learn. It would be just given to you, the same way Kagato gave you knowledge. Learning is a discipline in of itself. I'm going to teach you just like I used to teach at the Academy. As matter of fact, any adult education teacher on Earth could teach you." Washu replied.

Ryoko's jaw dropped, and she said, "HUHH!!??"

Beaming, Washu said, "It's really quite simple. You've been only learning half of what you need. In order to improve your reading skills, you also have to improve your writing skills."

Now Ryoko was confused. "How can calligraphy improve my reading?", she asked. She knew Ayeka was well trained and produced beautiful scripts, but didn't see how that connected with reading.

"You're confusing things. I'm not speaking of writing as an art form, though I do think you should learn it as well. What I'm talking about is writing as a way of communication. What you must understand is that reading and writing are the same thing. When you write, you're actually communicating your thoughts. Reading is merely the reverse of the process. Why do you think it's called the written word? Writing is speaking your thoughts, while reading is listening to them or others. You can't learn one without the other. Always remember that you write what you read and read what you write. ", Washu explained patiently.

Ryoko said nothing as she tried to digest this new concept. Washu waited, knowing she had her daughter's interest now. After a few minutes, Ryoko looked at mother again.

"What can I do then? I don't know the first thing about writing.", Ryoko pleaded.

Washu's heart exulted within her. This was what she had been waiting for, Ryoko saying she wanted to learn. "That's what we're going to spend the weekend doing, learning how to read and write. I can't teach you everything in two days. What I'm going to do is lay the foundation for later on. You are going to practice writing letters and words until you can read and write a simple sentence. Afterwards, I want you to practice every single day writing. Take a book from the library and write the words you see. If you see a kanji you don't recognize, ask me. I'll tell you what it means, but I expect you to write it down. Writing the words will teach you kinestetically as well as visually. As you write each word, say it out loud. Eventually, you be able to look at words and comprehend their meaning without thinking. Once you reach this point, I'll test you and see if you're ready for the next step.", she calmly stated.

Washu then made Ryoko practice writing the alphabet and the few kanji she knew. Ryoko's first attempts were clumsy and barely recognizable as letters. Over and over, Washu had her write, sounding out each letter. Like Misaki, Washu played no favorites. In this classroom, she was the teacher and Ryoko the student. Ryoko soon found out why her mother had such a fearsome reputation at the Academy still, even though she hadn't taught in millenia. By lunchtime, her eyes burned and her wrist ached from writing so much. After lunch, Washu made Ryoko use her other hand to write. Before Ryoko could protest, Washu grabbed two pieces of chalk and proceeded to write different sentences with each hand at the same time on the blackboard. She then wrote two lines simultaneously, one hand writing the mirror image of the other. Afterward, she turned and raised her eyebrow at Ryoko. Defeated, Ryoko picked up her pencil without saying a word.

Late in the afternoon, Washu declared class was over for the day. She had Ryoko clean up the classroom, saying that Sasami would be doing same thing when she went to school. As they left the lab, Washu had one more thing for her daughter to do.

"Ryoko, I want you to tell the rest of the family. I told Misaki and Ami the truth last night, and everyone else should know. It's better that you tell them now, rather than having to explain why you're doing the homework that I gave you. Everyone will understand, and they all can help.", Washu ordered her.

Ryoko was hesitant about doing this, but knew that Washu wouldn't let her get out of it. After supper, she came clean about her illiteracy. Everyone was surprised by her announcement, but quickly accepted the news. They all agreed to help her improve her reading skills. Ayeka was curious about one thing though.

"Ryoko, why is Washu teaching you Japanese? I would think you'd be learning Galactic, since that's what you spent most of you life speaking.", she asked.

"Because I think almost entirely in Japanese now. I was allowed only a very limited vocabulary by Kagato. Anytime he needed details, he'd read my mind directly. My gems acted as a universal translator, but I didn't know the meaning of the words, or more accurately, the concepts behind the words. Most of the things I heard over the years were just sounds to me. I never had any real conversations with any one. My talks with Ryo-Ohki didn't really use language, just pure thought. Because my vocabulary was so limited, my thought processes were also crippled. It wasn't until I met Tenchi that I had actual conversations. Since he could see and hear me when he was young, he was the first person who I truly talked with. The more we talked, the easier it became for me to speak as a native and not depend on the gems. By time he lost the ability to see me, all my thoughts were in Japanese. It wasn't until Kagato reappeared that I even remembered what little Galactic Standard I knew. ", Ryoko replied.

The next day was more writing practice. Washu didn't allow any slacking in her classroom and threatened to drop another statue on Ryoko. Throughout the day, Washu would say a letter and have Ryoko write it on the blackboard. Words also were practiced. By the end of the day, Ryoko's handwriting had noticeably improved. She still had to sound out the letters, but with much less effort. Kanji were still a problem though. Washu told her not worry, that those would come in time. For now, she was relax and enjoy herself. Tomorrow, Washu was going into her mind and unlock the barriers Ryoko had erected around her memories. Afterward, Ryoko was to start her homework that Washu gave her.

The next day, Washu prepared for the dangerous task. If things went well, she would be able to anchor Ryoko's consciousness while she confronted her fear. Once Ryoko rode out the influx, her memories could be fully integrated into her conscious mind again. What Washu feared the most was that the memories would overwhelm Ryoko. She could end up reliving that horrible day 700 years ago and do everything she could to escape. To prevent her causing damage in the real world, Washu first had Ryoko split herself again. Zero's mind was less mature than Ryoko's and facing the horrors Ryoko had experienced would do serious damage to her psyche.

Once Zero left the lab, Misaki, Minagi, and Ami entered. Washu then closed the lab portal and put up a shield blocking any telepathic signals. This would insure neither Zero or May would receive any stray thoughts from Ryoko. She then blocked all of Ryoko's energy powers. Misaki and Minagi were needed to counter Ryoko's physical strength, since it was intrinsic to her, not accessed by her mind. Once the preparations were complete, Washu hooked Ryoko and herself to a machine that would let Ami monitor them. Ryoko's thoughts would be visible onscreen while Washu was inside Ryoko's mind. If anything went wrong, Misaki and Minagi were to restrain Ryoko long enough for Ami to administer a sedative Washu had prepared. The dosage took into account the extreme level of adrenaline Ryoko would have and would knock her out in seconds.

When everything was set, Washu linked with Ryoko. She entered Ryoko's mind and made mental images of themselves. They went into the recesses of Ryoko's mind until they reached the point where conscious and sub-conscious mind met. A wall of darkness loomed before them. Ryoko stopped, scared to go further. Washu took Ryoko's hand, and assured her that she wasn't alone this time. No matter what, Washu would be there to help her. Trembling, Ryoko followed Washu through the wall and into the place where she had locked her memories.

They emerged in front of the cave. The scene outside was warm and sunny. It was the same kind of day that Ryoko had experienced when she first projected herself. Unlike the real cave, however, the entrance was sealed with a steel door. It looked solid and unbreachable, but on closer inspection Washu noticed stress cracks throughout. She could feel a vibration, like something was striving to get out. Clearly, the barrier Ryoko had erected had been weakening for some time. Sooner or later, she would have remembered everything on her own. That would have been disastrous, since Ryoko couldn't face the horror. Before Washu could look for a way to open the door, she felt Ryoko pull on her hand.

"Mommy, don't go in there. That's the home of the monsters", she said in a child's voice.

Turning, Washu saw Ryoko's mental construct was that of the child she had once been. It nearly broke her heart to see the sweet, innocent child again. Quickly, Washu regained control of herself and knelt down so that she was at eye level with her little girl.

"Little Ryoko, we have to go inside. The monsters are hurting you even now. You must face them and make them stop.", Washu said gently.

"Mommy, I'm scared. They've said that next time they get me, I'm never gonna get away. I'll be their prisoner forever. Please, let's run away now.", Ryoko cried.

"I know, but I'm here with you now. I won't let them take you. Ryoko, you can beat them this time. You don't have to live in fear any more.", Washu replied, holding her daughter close.

After wiping Ryoko's tear-streaked face and blowing her nose, Washu resumed her study of the door. Since it was set firmly into the opening, she decided to destroy it all at once. Gripping Ryoko's hand, Washu sent a bolt of energy into the door, vaporizing it. They then waited for whatever came next.

At first nothing came out. Then sounds could be heard, starting low and rising to a cacophony of voices. An oily black pseudopod reached out and grabbed Ryoko. It tried to pull her into the cave, but Washu held firm against it. Ryoko was white with terror and held onto her mother with a grip of steel.

"FIGHT IT RYOKO!! YOU MUST FORCE IT OUT OF THE CAVE!! IT CAN'T HURT YOU ONCE IT'S OUTSIDE !!", Washu yelled.

"MOMMY, HELP ME!!! IT'S PULLING ME IN!! DON'T LET IT TAKE ME!", Ryoko screamed.

Ryoko struggled desperately, trying to keep from being pulled in. Washu also pulled, determined to make sure Ryoko wasn't lost. For a time they were winning, slowly forcing the amorphous blob out. Suddenly, Ryoko slipped and was yanked into the cave. Washu immediately jumped after her, knowing she had only one chance. By pure luck, she got a hold of Ryoko. Using every bit of strength she had, Washu hauled Ryoko out once more. Not stopping, she kept pulling until the blob representing the memories and terror was out. Ryoko's face was ashen and she was screaming non stop. Washu then picked Ryoko up and crossed back into her conscious mind again, bringing her memories along.

In the lab, Ryoko was lashing out, reliving that horrible day. Misaki and Minagi both tried to restrain her, but were thrown against the wall. Dazed, they got up and tried again. Misaki managed to get a lock on Ryoko this time. Summoning every bit of strength and will she had, Misaki forced Ryoko down. Minagi then added her own strength, fighting to immobilize Ryoko. Even so, it was like holding a force of nature. Finally, they held her long enough for Ami to sedate Ryoko.

Ryoko stopped struggling almost immediately. Her screams ended and all of her vital signs moved out of the red. A few seconds later, she was asleep with only a elevated heartrate and breathing showing. Once Ami was certain of Ryoko's condition, she tended to Minagi and Misaki. Minagi was somewhat bruised, but her healing powers had already kicked in. Misaki had suffered a severe concussion, however. Ami ordered her to lay down on one of the medical units for observation. Misaki protested she was fine. She tried to get up and promptly fainted. Ami had Minagi carefully move Misaki to the med unit. Once Misaki was settled, Ami checked on Washu and Ryoko.

In Ryoko's mind, Washu had sensed Ryoko being sedated. Working quickly, she integrated the memories back into Ryoko's consciousness. When Ryoko awoke, she would remember all that had happened in the cave. It would be hell for Ryoko, since she would feel the raw emotions all over again. The difference was this time Ryoko had people to give her needed support. Washu was confident that Ryoko could come to terms with her memories. Once she was finished, Washu left Ryoko's mind and returned to the lab.

After checking on Misaki, Washu had a discussion with Ami. Ryoko needed close observation now. As she dealt with the raw memories, Ryoko would be in a fragile emotional state. What worried Washu the most were Ryoko's suicide attempts. As she experienced the utter despair once more, Ryoko might try again to kill herself. Until Washu was certain of her daughter's mental state, she'd have the entire family keep an eye on her. Zero could watch her while Ryoko was in the bathroom. Washu shuddered as she remembered Ryoko's last attempt. Ryoko had been a hair's breadth from succeeding. Only making her realize Ryo-Ohki wasn't dead and therefore was waiting for her somewhere convinced Ryoko to keep going.

While Ryoko was sleeping, Washu told the family what she needed them to do. She stressed that absolutely under no circumstance was Ryoko to be left alone. Everyone was horrified to learn of Ryoko's suicide attempts during her imprisonment. When asked how Ryoko tried to kill herself, Washu explained that she had basically turned her willpower against herself. Each time she attempted suicide, Ryoko gave into despair and focused all her energy into dying instead of fighting to live. Washu had fought back by giving her hope.

Misaki awoke several hours later. Washu declared her out of danger for now, but she was to take it easy for the next day. To make sure Misaki obeyed this time, Washu arranged a video call to Jurai. Both Azusa and Funaho ordered Misaki to obey Washu and stop being so stubborn. Azusa then told Washu she could whatever she deemed necessary to enforce her orders. Misaki unhappily agreed to obey Washu. She hated being inactive, even if it was for her own good.

Shortly thereafter, Ryoko awoke. The raw pain and terror of the memories assaulted her immediately. She barely rode out the initial influx. After a while, the rush slowed to where she could focus on her surroundings. Ryoko noticed her mother's comforting embrace. Washu held onto her as Ryoko shook and sobbed. When she regained control of herself, Washu gently helped her out of the lab. She led Ryoko to the living room, where the rest of the family waited. Sasami had already prepared a steaming cup of Ryoko's favorite tea.

What everyone noticed first was Ryoko's eyes. Even though she tried to hide it, they were filled with an expression of indescribable horror. Not giving her a chance to dwell on her memories, Washu first had Zero merge back with Ryoko. She then handed May to Ryoko, in order to help Ryoko focus on the present. Once Ryoko was settled, they all watched the soaps that they had missed earlier. After the soaps, Washu took some of the comics from the library and resumed teaching Ryoko. Because of what happened, Washu modified the assignment she had given Ryoko. She had Ryoko read the dialogues to her, and then write what she had just read. Each kanji's pronunciation and meaning was written down in a separate book, so she could refer to it and eventually commit to memory.

At bedtime, Washu declared that Ryoko and Mayuka were going to stay with her for the time being. If something happened, she needed to be able to react quickly. Ryoko quietly accepted her mother's decision. Having May stay with them made it easier to accept Washu keeping an eye on her. She admitted to herself that she needed her mother to hold and protect her. The memories of the cave were still fresh and she had to constantly remind herself that she was free now.

For the rest of the month, Ryoko was immersed in a daily routine of chores, training, and lessons. All of this was designed to keep her grounded in the present. Any time she suffered a flashback, there was someone to bring her back. Ami kept the counseling sessions focused on the day of the attack, since this was the most relevant to the trial. Ryoko could only speak slowly about the events, but she was able to describe what happened without breaking down. The larger problem of her imprisonment by Yosho was set aside until after the trial. Ryoko still was in mortal terror of the cave. More than once she was seen staring in the direction of her former prison.

As April approached, Washu began to hope that Ryoko would pull through without any major problems. The flashbacks were lessening in both frequency and intensity. Then the worst happened. Laying upon the rafter one day, Ryoko had a flashback of her last suicide attempt. As she felt the despair overwhelm her once more, Ryoko began to think of how easy it would be to just give in. Soon she was gathering her will to turn against herself once more.

Zero's scream across the link was the only warning Washu had. Wasting no time, she ran to the living room. Tenchi looked up from couch where he was sitting with Mayuka and Ayeka. The look on Washu's face told him that something was seriously wrong. Quickly, Washu reached and pulled Ryoko down to the floor. Ryoko's eyes were fey and dangerous. The despair she was experiencing was almost a physical force to Washu. This time, however, there was nothing blocking the link between them. From the sub-conscious to the conscious, Washu sent all of the love and happiness she felt for her daughter. She blasted through the wall of despair and loneliness and called out to Ryoko.

Ryoko's face changed as she heard her mother. Slowly, she pulled herself back from the brink. She could sense she wasn't alone, that someone was there. Ryoko felt the warmth of her mother's love, the joy that they were together again. As she came out of her fugue state, her consciousness returned to here and now. A look of pure horror appeared as she realized just how close she had been to killing herself. A whimper escaped her mouth that quickly grew into a hysterical scream. Washu held her tight, trying to calm Ryoko down. She then felt Ryoko split herself, but this time it was Zero's doing. The thoughts and emotions associated with suicide were beyond her experience. While she had witnessed death before as Clay's assistant, she had never experienced such despair and emptiness. She was unable to hide in Ryoko's mind this time because the memories were fully integrated once more. Zero did the only thing she could, she physically tried to get away from this thing that terrified her. She ran to the corner of the living room, scared out of her wits.

Mayuka started to cry as well, reacting to her mother's pain and fear. Washu gave a silent prayer that May was only crying because of what she physically saw. She then swore under her breath as the situation threatened to deteriorate into chaos. Ryoko desperately needed her right now, but so did Zero. Mayuka's crying only added to the confusion. Thankfully, Minagi came flying in with Misaki and Ami, having heard Washu's command. Minagi had felt some of Ryoko's despair through their link and the sheer depth of emotion had shaken her. When her father had died, she had felt depressed and adrift, but it was nothing compared to what she picked up from Ryoko.

Taking the situation in, Misaki went over to Zero first. She gently coaxed her out of the corner and into her arms. Holding Zero, Misaki sat down on the couch. Hesitantly at first, Zero finally allowed herself to release the terror she had experienced. As she shivered and cried, Misaki spoke soothingly to her, calming her down. Washu had managed to quiet Ryoko by this time as well. Once Ryoko had regained a semblance of control, Washu took her upstairs to her own room. She made Ryoko lay down and gave her a light sedative. Sleep was what Ryoko needed for now. Once Ryoko was out, Washu left to check on Zero and Mayuka.

The terror and its aftermath had caught up to Zero. After crying herself out, she had fallen asleep while Misaki hummed a lullaby to her. Misaki then carried Zero upstair and put her to bed with Ryoko. Washu set a few monitors up to keep an eye on them. She wasn't sure how long they could stay separated. This was the first time Zero had ever split on her own intiative. It was something that needed to be investigated later on. Washu was pretty sure they would merge on their own and she wanted a complete record.

With Ryoko and Zero no longer crying, Tenchi and Ayeka were able to quiet Mayuka. Misaki told them to take Mayuka into the playroom and keep her busy. It would be several hours before Ryoko awoke and even then Ami had to work with her. Hopefully, this attempt would be the only one.

A few hours later, Zero came downstairs and told everyone Ryoko was awake. Washu was surprised to see her still separated. She scanned Zero to see how well she was doing. While there was a definite strain, Zero appeared to be handling it. Washu decided to let Zero stay this way for now, since she needed to talk to her anyway. After she saw Ryoko, she'd make Zero merge again. Now wasn't the time to find out how long Zero could stay apart from Ryoko.

After asking Misaki to keep an eye on Zero, Washu joined Ami upstairs with Ryoko. Ryoko sat quietly in bed, her depression clearly evident. She didn't understand how she could have given in to despair so easily, since she had so much to live for. Most of all, Ryoko felt she had failed Mayuka. She had sworn that history wouldn't repeat itself, that May would grow up knowing a mother's love. Ryoko didn't know how she could face her daughter, but she knew that she must. She was still the only person Mayuka looked to as her mother.

Once Ami was finished, Ryoko went to the playroom. May's eyes lit up and she ran to her. Hesitantly, Ryoko picked her up while everyone gave their silent encouragement. Mayuka hugged her with an iron grip, her young mind understanding only that her mother was with her. Silently, Ryoko started to cry, the tears flowing freely down her face. Washu motioned for everyone except for Ami and Zero to leave. Once they had left, she had Zero merge with Ryoko. Ami immediately began working with her. Slowly, she got Ryoko to accept that she hadn't failed Mayuka. Once she was certain Ryoko was stable enough, Ami let her rejoin the rest of the family.

Sasami had just finished making supper. Ami told her they'd be along shortly, she needed to talk to Washu first. It was clear to Ami that Ryoko needed to get away from the cave. She felt that the proximity of the house to the cave was aggravating Ryoko's emotional state. Originally, Ami wanted to send Ryoko back to Seventh, but scratched that idea after Washu vehemently protested. Washu pointed out that Ryoko had given no outward sign of her suicide attempt, so putting her under observation wouldn't do any good. Ami reluctantly agreed, but still thought Ryoko was becoming a danger to herself. She asked was there anyplace they could take her.

After some thought, Washu suggested the inn owned by Tenchi's great-aunt. It was one of Ryoko's favorite places and was definitely far enough from the cave. Too, the hot springs would be just the ticket for getting her to relax. Ami agreed with this idea, and with that settled, went to supper.

Since it was so close to the start of the school year, it was decided to turn the trip into a family outing. This would be the last chance Misaki would have to spend with both her daughters. Once Sasami started school, she would have very little free time until vacation. Ayeka then brought up a potential problem.

"Washu, Auntie has always known you as a child. How are you going to explain your being an adult?", she asked.

"I won't hide anymore, Ayeka. I'll tell her that I am Ryoko's mother. If she asks what happened to Washu-chan, I'll say that she was no longer needed. Tenchi's great-aunt is a lot smarter than you think. She can probably handle the truth that Ryoko and I are aliens. Don't forget Ryoko's displayed her powers enough times to make her wonder. She doesn't have to know about your status.", Washu replied.

That night, plans were made for the trip. Nobuyuki's van couldn't take everyone, so Mihoshi had to borrow another vehicle from her friend, Kurashiki's chief of police. Even though he kept the existence of her GP pistol out of the official report, he had noted the deceptively small item's capabilities. It had sparked his curiousity, so he visited the Masaki home sometime after he arranged for Mihoshi to receive her driver's license. Ayeka and Ryoko were in the middle of one of their innumerable fights, so there was no chance to hide their true status. Before he knew it, the chief had been put through the biggest firefight of his life.

After the chief recovered, Tenchi told him the whole story. He was glad to learn that Mihoshi was a fellow police officer. It was decided to make him a liason with the Galaxy Police, since he was the only person who had witnessed Mihoshi actually using her pistol. Mihoshi had already received a severe lecture from her grandfather for using such advanced weaponry. Because she had done it to save a life and the chief had kept quiet about it, she had avoided much worse punishment. The chief accepted this new role and arranged for Mihoshi to be listed as a foreign policewoman. In return, he was allowed to occasionally use the advanced equipment in Washu's lab under very strict conditions.

After Kiyone's arrival, the chief personally taught Mihoshi how to drive. Now that she was in her right mind, Mihoshi easily learned and before long was driving like a pro. She was the only person besides Nobuyuki and Yosho who had a driver's license. The other members of the family didn't feel the need for one, though Tenchi was studying for his license.

Tenchi's great-aunt was happy to see everyone again. They had last visited shortly after Mayuka's rebirth. She had noted this infant's resemblance to Tenchi, but everyone insisted that May was an orphan who had ended up with them. It had been clear to her even then that Ryoko had bonded with this child. Ryoko had spent the entire visit caring for Mayuka. What convinced her was the fact Ryoko hadn't touched a single drop of alcohol. Always before, she had consumed far too much sake for someone so young. Now Ryoko was a totally different person.

When they arrived, Auntie immediately noticed Washu's adult form. She was surprised to learn that Washu was Ryoko's mother. All Washu said was that Washu-chan was gone now. It was Ryoko who shocked her. The last time she had seen someone with an expression like hers was just after the atomic bomb was dropped. Her family had lived near Hiroshima then, and she remembered how the survivors had looked as they tried to comprehend the horror they had witnessed. She had hoped to never again see someone with that expression.

Ryoko had to be helped out of the van, another sign of just how seriously wrong things were. Mayuka was brought out next, and was led by Ryoko to their room. The rest of the family also got settled in. Once they were unpacked, everyone changed and headed into the baths. Another thing that had changed with Ryoko was she now wore a towel whenever she took a bath with Mayuka. She had stopped flaunting herself at Tenchi when she had made peace with Ayeka. When she started caring for Mayuka, Ryoko wanted to set a good example for her daughter. However, she still liked to tease Tenchi on occasion. She did this once in order prove to herself that her spirit was free from the rape's hold over it. Ryoko had been totally up front with Ayeka that time. Ayeka had agreed, in part because she wanted to see her friend smile again. Also, Ayeka admitted to herself she had always loved to see Tenchi blush.

Throughout the visit Ami worked with Ryoko, helping her face the reason for her suicide attempts. From the counseling sessions, it was clear to her that unlocking Ryoko's memories had only solved part of the problem. While Ryoko could testify about what happened the day of the attack, she would never make any real progress until she physically confronted her fear of the cave itself. How to get her inside the cave long enough to do this was real question. Shortly after Ryoko's memories were unlocked, Ami and Washu had taken Ryoko into the cavern itself. Even with the cave fully lit by Washu, Ryoko was trembling with suppressed fear.

When the light was extinguished, Ryoko had lasted only a couple of minutes before she had to get out of there. Screaming at the top of her lungs, Ryoko raced at full speed out of the cave. By the time Ami and Washu caught up to her, she was curled into a ball, shivering and sobbing. Even though she knew she wasn't alone in the cave, Ryoko had been unable to sense anyone. It was her worst nightmare once more, left alone in the darkness.

What Ami didn't know was that Ryoko had arrived at a similar conclusion. Her suicide attempt had been the last straw. Even though she had been released physically, she had never been truly free. Now the cave's hold over her had hurt her beloved daughter again. The first time she'd had the excuse that it wasn't her doing. This time she had no such excuse. At first, Ryoko thought of sealing the cave, but quickly discarded that idea. She had to end the cave's hold over her once and for all.

Meanwhile, Tenchi's great-aunt was putting some facts together. The water had a way of carrying conversations, and as innkeeper, she had learned to ignore the majority of it. One snippet caught her attention however. She overheard Ryoko describing part of her imprisonment by Yosho. Auntie was familar with the legend of the Masaki shrine. She noted how Ryoko and Ryo-Ohki were also the names of the legendary demons. Now here was this girl saying she'd been imprisoned by someone who'd lived 700 years ago. The way she described everything made it seem like she had actually lived the events.

Auntie also thought about Washu and Mayuka. There was no doubt in her mind that Washu and Washu-chan were the same person. She was also certain of Mayuka's resemblance to Tenchi. Age hadn't dimmed any of her faculties and it was clear Tenchi was related to Mayuka, despite his insistence otherwise. Strangely, she had to agree with the girls, none of them were Mayuka's birth mother. All in all, there was something strange going on here. She decided it was time to get some straight answers from someone. Just as she came to her decision, she met up with Washu.

Auntie asked Washu point blank what was going on. Not pretending to be ignorant, she proceeded to answer all of Auntie's questions. She told everything, even the truth about the rest of the girls and Misaki. Washu saw there was no point in hiding the truth anymore. Auntie was a little amused to learn Tenchi was a prince, but not overly impressed. She approved of Tenchi accepting the responsibility of raising his child, even if she was totally unexpected. Her heart went out to Washu and Ryoko when she heard about the raid. Once she heard everything, Auntie went to bed, glad that the half-truths and lies were at an end.

While everyone was asleep, Ryoko was formulating a plan. Keeping her thoughts from her mother wasn't easy, but it was vital Washu didn't learn what Ryoko was planning. Ryoko had decided that the only way she could face her fear was to remove any chance of running away. The reason she didn't want her mother to know her plans was because she felt she had to do this on her own. If Washu helped her, Ryoko would always question whether or not she had truly conquered her fear. Also, Washu would freak out if she knew how Ryoko planned to face her fear of the cave.

The next morning everyone headed back home. Ryoko spent the majority of the trip sleeping, having gotten very little sleep the night before. She had decided to act as soon as they got home, before she lost her nerve. Her plan was simple in concept, but frightening in its implications. She was going to have Yosho use Tenchiken to seal her in the cave for one last time.

Ryoko had unintentionally supplied one required element of her plan at Christmas. Washu had given her gem back as a Christmas present, saying she earned it. For long minutes, Ryoko held her gem and debated with herself. She then asked Tenchi to hold out Tenchiken for her. Thinking Ryoko was finally going to reclaim her other two gems, Tenchi complied with her request. The entire family was surprised when Ryoko prayed for her third gem to return to Tenchiken. When asked why, Ryoko explained that only recently had she come to understand that she wasn't ready for the gems. Without her gem, Ryoko had experienced life in a way she never thought possible. She actually felt like a normal person, even though she still had her Masu-based powers and strength. Too, she was aware of her mental and emotional problems now. By putting her third gem back in Tenchiken, she was making sure they would be safe until she was healed in mind and soul.

It was early afternoon when they got home. Using the screening techniques Washu had taught her, Ryoko managed to keep her mother from learning her plan. It wasn't easy due to Washu increased surveillance. Ever since her suicide attempt, Washu had maintained a continual link with Ryoko, checking on her at random intervals. She flatly told Ryoko that she would keep doing this until she was certain Ryoko was out of danger.

After supper, Ryoko put her plan into motion. She asked Tenchi and Ayeka to go for a walk with her and Mayuka. As they climbed the steps to the shrine, Ryoko was more than a little scared. She kept her fear suppressed, since Washu might pick it up before she could implement the rest of her plan. Once they reached the shrine, Ryoko called Yosho outside.

"Yosho, your leaving me to rot in that damn cave is what caused most of this mess. You owe me big time and now it's time to pay up. Every time I've tried to face my fear of the dark, I end up running away. Therefore, I want you to seal me in the cave with Tenchiken for 24 hours. It's the only way I can think of to conquer my fear of the dark.", Ryoko stated.

"HAVE YOU COMPLETELY LOST YOUR MIND??!!", both Tenchi and Ayeka shouted.

"Ayeka, Tenchi, I'm tired of living in fear. You released me from the cave, but I've never been free. I want to be able to truly live, not be chained to the past. In order to do this, I have to break the cave's hold over me once and for all.", Ryoko quietly said.

None of them could respond to this statement. Not giving them or herself a chance to think of anything else, Ryoko headed towards the cave. Once they arrived, she split herself and had Zero hold onto May.
Bending down, she kissed her daughter and told May that she loved her, but this was something she had to do. Ryoko then told Zero that she had to fool Washu for as long as possible. She was confident Zero could stay separated for such a long time. If it appeared Zero's life was in danger, Tenchi was to open the cave early so they could merge again. This was the only thing Ryoko would allow. Otherwise, no matter what they heard, the cave was to remain sealed for the full 24 hours.

Once inside the upper part, Ryoko created a ball of light. Even with Tenchi and Ayeka next to her, she had to force herself to walk down the passageway to the pool. Once they reached the pool, Ryoko destroyed the replica gem she wore. Without it, she wouldn't be able to astrally project past the seal. As she lay down into the water, she could see the concern on their faces. She told them to leave and have Yosho enact the seal. With great reluctance, Tenchi and Ayeka complied. Knowing she only had a short while, Ryoko enacted the final part of her plan. She cut off all of her telepathic links. Washu wouldn't be able to enter her mind until Ryoko reopened the link.

Shortly after she finished, she suddenly felt incredibly weak. Her light sputtered and vanished. The utter blackness pressed down as she found herself unable to move. Ryoko could feel her terror rising as she desperately tried to hold back the darkness. She then gave a scream of total despair as the the cave claimed her body and soul once more.

At the entrance, Tenchi and Ayeka heard Ryoko's screams. They wanted to reopen the cave then and there, but Yosho stopped them. Zero had already been sent back to the shrine, so neither she nor Mayuka heard Ryoko. Shaking his head, he made them also go back. Once there, Yosho sent the four of them back to the house. He went inside the shrine to pray for Ryoko.

Washu was waiting for them when they arrived. She had tried to check on Ryoko and was worried when she couldn't sense the link. Thinking Zero was Ryoko, she started to ask her why the link was closed. Washu stopped and looked closer at Zero. She began to panic when she realized that it was Zero before her.

"Where is Ryoko?", Washu demanded.

Zero looked away, unable to face Washu. Tench and Ayeka were similarly downcast. Washu again tried to reach Ryoko. Her efforts only met with silence. Her panic became full-blown when even her scanners failed to pick up her daughter. Unable to stand seeing the person she had come to love as her mother in such pain, Zero blurted out the truth.

"Momma, Ryoko had Yosho lock her in the cave so she could face her fear", Zero tearfully said.

"SHE DID WHAAATT??!!", Washu asked disbelief.

Zero then showed her through their link. Washu was ready to force someone to release Ryoko when Misaki suddenly intervened. Holding Washu's shoulder in a painful grip, she made her sit down on the couch. Washu tried to free herself, but Misaki dug her thumb into the muscle and nerve clusters. Washu gasped as her shoulder and arm seemed like it was on fire.

"Washu, you have to let her do this. Ryoko is trying to conquer her fear and she must do it alone.", Misaki said firmly.

"But she needs me. I had to reintegrate her memories because she couldn't do it. What makes you think she can do this by herself?", Washu sobbed.

"This time, Ryoko's made a choice. You've done everything to help her reach this point. However, you can't conquer her fear for her. She has to do that herself. Otherwise, she'll be forever broken in spirit. You're thinking as her mother, not a doctor. You're going to have get by me first if you want to free her before the time limit is up.", Misaki replied.

Washu was torn by the truth of Misaki's words and the desire to help her child. She was deathly afraid of what would happen if Ryoko lost this fight. As much as she wanted to be with Ryoko, Washu knew that this time there was nothing she could do. If she tried to interfere in any way, Misaki would have her out cold before she could blink. In her agitated state, there was no way she could mount a defense against her.
Defeated, Washu started to cry.

Misaki released her and waited. Once she was certain Washu wouldn't try anything stupid, Misaki backed off. Washu silently cried, praying Ryoko would make it. After a while, her tears subsided. Since there was nothing she could do for Ryoko, Washu turned her attention to Zero. So far, Zero was holding under the strain of being so far from Ryoko's body. Still, they were in unchartered territory here. Based on the last separation, the lab's computer projected Zero should be able to make it before the strain became too great.

At bedtime, Ami gave Washu a sleeping pill and watched her swallow it. After she was asleep, Ami helped Misaki make sure everyone else went to bed. She wholeheartedly agreed with Misaki's reasoning. This was what she had been trying to get Ryoko to do, to take control of her life. Locking herself in the cave was a little too drastic for her tastes however. Ami would have preferred Ryoko to have gone a litte slower.

Late that night, after everyone was asleep, Washu snuck out of her lab. Pretending to swallow the pill and faking sleep was child's play for her. Ryoko had been in that cave long enough. The gems were what held Ryoko captive. Washu knew how to make the gems overpower Tenchiken and break free. She'd unseal the cave and get her daughter out of there. If Ryoko had lost her battle, Washu would have Zero show her where they hid the last time. Otherwise, Ryoko was going to receive the worst dressing down of her life.

A slight movement in the air was all that Washu sensed before everything went black. Misaki caught her as she crumpled to the floor unconscious. She'd thought Washu might pull a stunt like this. Ryoko had said to keep her sealed for 24 hours and Misaki was going make sure her request was granted. Sighing, she understood Washu trying to get Ryoko out of cave. If Ayeka or Sasami were trapped in there, Misaki would be fighting tooth and nail to get them out.

Early in the afternoon, Washu awoke in her bed with a blinding headache. Looking at the clock, she saw that she'd been out for over twelve hours. Misaki must have used some extra force with that pressure point strike. Or else, she'd gotten Ami to sedate her afterwards. Shakily, Washu got dressed and made her way into the kitchen. Sasami had left a meal for her to reheat. While waiting, she took an analgesic to ease her throbbing head.

Misaki came in while Washu was eating. She'd been busy all day looking after Zero. The strain of being split for so long and being so far away from Ryoko was showing on her. She had very little energy and could hardly walk. Zero refused any offer of assistance doing her chores, however. Drawing on the fighting spirit she acquired from Ryoko, she was determined not to let Ryoko down.

Seeing how stiff and sore Washu was, Misaki made her lay down while she gave her a massage. Washu sighed in blissful refief as the tightened muscles and constricted blood vessels were eased. After she was finished, Misaki told her that Funaho was monitoring Ryoko's physical condition. Ryoko's screaming had stopped sometime after midnight, and nothing had been heard since. Seeing the look on Washu's face, Misaki said Ryoko's vital signs were stable, so they would wait the full time.

The last few hours were the longest in Washu's life. Misaki wasn't even letting her leave the house until shortly before it was time. She'd told everyone in the household any attempt to go against Ryoko's wishes would result in facing her wrath. Misaki was as worried as everyone else, but Ryoko had chosen to fight. Stopping her would dishonor her choice.

Finally, Misaki let everyone go to the cave. The last few minutes dragged on interminably for Washu. When Yosho announced it was time, he couldn't move fast enough as far as she was concerned. Once the passageway was open, Washu desperately called for Ryoko, both out loud and through the link.

From deep below came the faintest of whispers, "Momma?"

"RYOOKOO!!!!", Washu joyfully shouted.

"I'll be right out, Mom. Please don't come in.", Ryoko faintly replied.

Washu almost ran down anyway, but was held back by Misaki. Ryoko had entered under her own power, and she was determined to leave the same way. A dim ball of light appeared first, then Ryoko came into view. Her face was drawn and haggard, while her eyes were red from non-stop crying. However, they were clear and full of life. She had faced her inner demons and won. Step by laborious step, she walked up the slope and out of the cave. She didn't stop until she was fully under the open sky. Looking at Washu, Ryoko managed to say, "I did it Momma.", before she collapsed into her mother's arms.

Two days later, Ryoko awoke in Washu's bed. As she slowly got up, she noticed she was dressed in one of Washu's nightgowns. Any other thoughts were put on hold as the call of nature asserted itself. She felt like she would bust if she didn't go to the bathroom. After relieving herself, Ryoko took a long hot shower, luxuriating in the sensations. After she was through, a loud rumble from her stomach reminded her she hadn't eaten in days. When she tried to clothe herself with her power, nothing happened.

"I see you found out part of Mom's punishment, Ryoko. She says for you to go to your room. Believe me, you are in BIIIGG TROUBLE.", Zero suddenly said from inside her mind. Her tone was positively gleeful as she delivered Washu's message. Wondering what Zero meant, she put the nightgown back on. The fact Washu hadn't spoken directly to her only added to Ryoko's sense of impending doom.

Ryoko found out none of her energy powers were working. She had to walk all the way from the lab to her room upstairs. Entering her room, she saw a school uniform laid out on her bed, along with a complete set of underwear. There was a note with everything, written in Washu's clear, precise handwriting. Ryoko picked it up and slowly read it out loud.

"Breakfast is waiting for you downstairs. After you've finished eating, you're to change into this uniform AND I MEAN ALL OF IT!!", the note said. Ryoko looked dismayed at this last part. She didn't know the first thing about putting on a bra. Always before, she'd create something loose fitting for normal wear. Even after she started being Mayuka's mother, she insisted on the same style clothes. Her battlesuit was like a second skin that allowed maximum movement. The uniform itself looked like it wouldn't be uncomfortable. She continued reading the note.

"Once you're fully dressed and presentable, go to the classroom. Leave the shoes by the front door of the house, since you'll need them later. I'm watching you on the monitors right now, so don't even think about dawdling. NOW GET MOVING!!", the note finished. Ryoko jumped a little as she finished reading the last sentence. Washu must be really mad at her, Ryoko thought.

Downstairs, she saw everyone except Sasami and Yosho. Yosho usually was at the shrine, but where was Sasami? Ryoko then saw the date and realized today was Sasami's first day of school. Kiyone, Mihoshi and Minagi all had wide grins when Ryoko entered the kitchen. Misaki was snickering along with Ami. Only Tenchi and Ayeka looked a little downcast. Mayuka was overjoyed to see Ryoko and began bouncing up and down in her high chair.

After breakfast, Misaki followed her upstairs. Washu had told her to help Ryoko get dressed. She would have done it herself, but she didn't want Ryoko to know until the last minute just how mad she was at her. As Ryoko tried fastening the bra, Misaki started laughing her head off. After the fifth time, she took pity on Ryoko and showed her how it was done. She then helped Ryoko finish dressing, and had her sit down so she could brush her hair. Once Misaki was through, she looked over Ryoko with a critical eye and declared her presentable for school. She had done the same thing with Sasami earlier that morning, and then watched as she boarded the bus to town.

Ryoko headed to the classroom, wondering what her mother had in store for her. Granted, she had kept her plans from Washu, but surely Washu understood why Ryoko had to face her fear alone. As Ryoko entered the classroom, she saw Zero hadn't been kidding. Washu was sitting behind her desk, her face like granite and her eyes ice cold. What puzzled Ryoko was the scarf Washu had over her head. Still not saying a word, Washu jabbed her finger at Ryoko and pointed to just in front of her desk.

As Ryoko stood in front of the desk, Washu just stared over the top of her pince-nez she wore while teaching, her fingers idly tapping the desktop. The silence was deafening between them. Ryoko began to fidget, wishing her mother would say something. It didn't help matters that Zero was giggling as well. She knew precisely what was in store for Ryoko, but Washu had ordered her not to say anything. Finally, Washu sighed and pushed her chair back.

"I suppose you ought to be congratulated, Ryoko. You have managed to do something that I thought patently impossible. In my 20,000 years, no one and I mean NO ONE has done what your little escapade did. Not my ex-husband's family, not that idiot Clay, not Kagato, not Yosho, not your fighting with Ayeka, not even those bastards who raped you did it. You and you alone are responsible for THIS!!", Washu said as she took off her head scarf.

Ryoko gulped as she saw what her mother was talking about. Washu's hair was pure white. After letting her take a good look, Washu then stood up and came around to the front. Sitting on the desk, she continued speaking.

"You put me through hell by shutting down our link. I had no way of knowing if you were all right in there. And of course Misaki took it into her head to stop me. I am sorely tempted to take you over my knee and tan your hide till it glows in the dark. Give me one good reason right now why I shouldn't.", Washu stated.

"I had to do this myself, Mom. I'm sorry for scaring you like that, but can you honestly say you wouldn't interfere.?", Ryoko pleaded.

Washu glared at her, then harrumphed. Telling her to sit down, Washu returned to her own seat. Despite her threat, Washu had already planned Ryoko's punishment. She merely wanted to see what her daughter had to say for herself. After telling Zero to be quiet, Washu pronounced Ryoko's punishment.

"As you've already noticed, none of your energy powers are working. As of now, you are grounded. That means no flying, teleporting, phasing or creating anything, including your clothes. Also, you can't split yourself. If Zero wants to come out, you're to let her take control for as long as she wants. I've already punished her earlier for not telling me what you were up to."

"Each day, you're to report to class in uniform, fully prepared. I've already made up several sets, and the school supplies we are going shopping for later. Since Japanese is your native language now, you're going to receive the same education Tenchi did. You are in the first grade now. To move on to the next grade, you must show me you've learned the required material. That means passing all tests, doing all your homework, and paying attention in class. I'll be keeping the same schedule as the city's schools. Your disgraceful lack of an education is at an end, Ryoko."

"As for your co-conspirators, they've also been punished. Misaki made Tenchi and Ayeka scrub the steps and the walkway all by hand yesterday. Yosho, I dealt with personally. He, of all people, should have known better. I made him stay in the cave for 24 hours and he had to stay fully aware the entire time. I wanted him to get a taste of the hell he put you through. If he didn't cooperate, I was going to bring him up on charges and to hell with the consequences."

"Now that's settled, open the book on you desk. School is now in session.", Washu finished saying.

By lunchtime, Ryoko's head was swimming. Washu had decided it was time for the test she had mentioned. She made her first write both katakana and hiragana alphabets, neatly and in order. Then Ryoko had to read passages from her book out loud. Her reading skill had progressed a long ways. She no longer had to sound out each letter, though she still read at a snail's pace. Finally, Washu had her read the questions at the end of the book, and write the answers down. Privately, Ryoko doubted any first grader on Earth had to do all this on the first day, but wisely kept quiet. Washu was still in a bad mood, and complaining would only dig her in deeper.

After lunch, Ryoko was allowed to attend her therapy sessions. Ami was anxious to talk to her. If Ryoko had indeed conquered her fear of the dark, then they could at last discuss her imprisonment. Also, she could confidently let Ryoko take the witness stand. Even though unlocking her memories had enabled Ryoko to speak about the second time in cave, Ami was concerned that the defense might still go too far. Both Jackson and Malone's lawyers were known for such antics. They had already tried to have Ami's sessions turned over to them through discovery. She had furiously objected, reminding them what was said in their sessions was protected by law.

The session went quickly. Ryoko was able to answer all of Ami's questions, though she occasionally had to pause before some of them. Satisfied with what she heard, Ami told Ryoko that they would no longer hold the all day sessions. She would arrange a schedule with Washu so that Ryoko could attend class. Ami agreed with Washu, it was past time Ryoko got an education. Going to school, even if it was at home, would let her experience part of what she had missed in her life.

Washu took Ryoko shopping in town later that day. She had already changed her hair back to it's vibrant red. After picking up the necessary supplies, Washu treated Ryoko to some ice cream. She let her know how proud she was that Ryoko had conquered her fear. This did not mean Ryoko was off the hook for scaring her like that. Her punishment would last until the trial at the very least. Washu then told her if she kept her grades up during this time, she'd let Ryoko fly again. The rest of her powers Ryoko would have to earn again. Ryoko brightened at this prospect, since flying was one of her greatest joys. It reminded her she was a free person, not a slave.

When Sasami came home later that day, she commiserated with Ryoko about all the schoolwork they had to do. Tenchi told Sasami that the workload would only increase. Sasami and Ryoko looked at each other, and began swatting him with their schoolbooks. Ayeka wanted to laugh herself silly, but kept quiet. Finally, they let Tenchi go, but the look on their faces clearly told him what would happen if he ever said something like that again. The girls then all went to living room to watch the soaps. Washu had recorded the episode earlier so everyone could enjoy them together.

Bedtime Ryoko had Tenchi and Ayeka stay with her. She wasn't ready to try sleeping alone yet, but she wanted to see if she could sleep with just one person beside her. If she couldn't make it, Tenchi and her would swap the middle. Tenchi had no objections to sleeping between two beautiful women.

The next morning Tenchi discovered there was a downside to this arrangement. He woke before dawn in order train and found himself in the clutches of both Ayeka and Ryoko. They were still fast asleep, mumuring his name. Every time he tried to pry himself free, they merely snuggled in closer. He began to sweat bullets as they worked their way on top of him. Just as he thought he would be trapped, Ryoko rolled back over to the side. After carefully freeing himself from Ayeka, he snuck out of the room. Tenchi almost had a heart attack when Misaki grabbed him. She had gone to see why he was late for his training. When she saw his predicament, Misaki waited to see what he would do. While Tenchi got his heartrate under the speed of sound, Misaki quite deliberately yanked Ryoko and Ayeka out of bed.

Handing Jurain training uniforms to both of them, she hounded them like a drill sargeant to get dressed and meet her at the training ground. When they dragged themselves up to the arena, Misaki put all three through a workout that made Yosho's training look limp in comparison. After they were finished, Ryoko barely had time to get back, bathe, have breakfast, change up and get to class on time. Washu had told her tardiness wasn't an option. Each time would result in a demerit against her. The more demerits, the longer she would stay grounded.

Ayeka was also kept busy while Tenchi, Ryoko, and Sasami were at school. Even if Tenchi chose Ryoko, she was still a member of the Royal Family and would have a seat on the Council. Misaki began having her help with the daily briefings in order to see where Ayeka's talents were. Misaki had decided long ago that neither of her children could take over as head of the Imperial Bodyguard, however. While Ayeka could fight, she lacked the perceptions and instincts of a true warrior.

As for Sasami, there was no way Misaki would ever let such a wonderful spirit as hers take a life. Misaki had killed before protecting her family. Only Azusa and Funaho knew of the nightmares that she occasionally had. Her seeming eccentricity was a defense to keep her happy-go-lucky spirit from being crushed by the fact she had killed. That was why she empathized so well with Ryoko. Misaki honestly didn't know if she could have held on like Ryoko did.

Throughout April and May, Ryoko was kept busy with classes and training. Early morning was a group workout with Tenchi, Ayeka and Sasami under Misaki's supervision. After breakfast, Ryoko attended school. Each day she was given an assignment, homework every night, and tested at the end of the week. She was expected to read a book over the weekend and have a report ready first thing Monday morning. Afternoon and early evening was given over to counseling with Ami, personal training with Misaki, and chores. On top of all this, Ryoko still had to be Mayuka's mother. When she complained about having so much work, Washu delivered a blistering reprimand. She reminded her that she had been married and was caring for a baby while still maintaining a workload at least three times what Ryoko had. Ryoko ears were flaming when Washu was finished. She hadn't thought her mother capable of such language.

At last it was time to leave for the Seventh HQ for the trial. Despite all the preparation, Ryoko was a little queasy at being in the spotlight. She hated the thought of having to put up with all of the reporters and cameras. Funaho assured her that they would be kept at a distance. She and Azusa had arrived a few days before in order discuss preparations for the trip. After much discussion, it was decided that Funaho, Yosho and Ayeka would accompany Ryoko, Ryo-Ohki, Mayuka, Washu, Kiyone, Mihoshi, and Minagi. Misaki would stay on Earth with Tenchi, Sasami, and Noboyuki. Azusa would also stay on Earth, in order to spend some quality time with his second wife. He had missed Misaki terribly while she was acting as the Masaki housemother.

The group traveled in Yukinojo. There was a mob of reporters waiting for them as they docked. The security personnel were hard pressed to make a path for them so they could reach their quarters. Finally, they were able to make it through. Once inside their rooms, they all settled in for the night. The trial was scheduled first thing in the morning station time and it promised to be a long day. As Ryoko got Mayuka ready for bed, she was looking forward to the trial. The bastards who nearly destroyed her dreams would at last face justice. Afterwards, Ryoko would move on with her life and the new dreams she had created.

The next morning, everyone went to the courtroom assigned to the trial. Funaho had told Ryoko to make a brief statement for the reporters, to which Ryoko agreed reluctantly. She hadn't been kidding about large crowds making her nervous. Taking a deep breath, Ryoko faced the throng while holding onto Mayuka.

"Space Pirate Ryoko, what are your thoughts about this trial?", one reporter asked.

Ryoko looked at him coldly and replied,"First off, my name is Ryoko Hakubi. Space Pirate Ryoko died in a cave 700 years ago and I hope she stays buried. As for this trial, I have come here to get justice according to the law. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment to keep." With that statement, she went inside with Mayuka. Ryoko hated being called a pirate, since her crimes had been pardoned years ago.

The bailiff ordered everyone to rise when the judge entered. Judge Miura Oishi was known as a no-nonsense judge who had a reputation for fairness. With quiet dignity from long years on the bench, he called the court to order. Once everyone was seated, the charges were read and entered into the court record. The judge then told everyone that this was a court of law, not a circus. He expected all to show proper respect and decorum. Well aware of Ryoko's reputation and the publicity surrounding the trial, he had sequestered the jurors as soon as they were picked. He had also kept the gag order in place.

What Ryoko didn't know was the security measures that had been instituted. Even though she had been pardoned, there were still many who wanted her dead. The raid had shown she wasn't invulnerable, and this would be her first time in a long while that Ryoko had appeared in public. Not wanting an attempt to be made on her, everyone entering the courtroom had been thoroughly searched. The rest of the station was on alert as well.

The prosecution made their opening statements. With careful deliberation, they stated what the defendants were accused of and how they intended to prove it. Eyewitness reports and physical evidence would be shown. The defense then opted to make their opening statement after the prosecution finished with their case. With that, the judge asked for Mayuka and Ryo-Ohki to be placed into the care of Funaho. Allowing May to stay during the grand jury had been a special case. With Ami's report that Ryoko could face her rapists, it was decided that their presence would be too disruptive. A monitor would allow Funaho to follow the proceedings. Ryo-Ohki wouldn't be called as a witness because her ability to speak verbally was still very limited. Her broadcast of the raid was considered to be phyiscal evidence.

Ryoko was the first witness called to the stand. Calmly, she related the events leading up to the raid. She explained her reasons for staying behind on Earth. Afterwards, the defense briefly cross-examined her. They asked why she thought she would cause trouble if she had been pardoned. In a quiet voice, Ryoko replied that there were many survivors of her attack still alive. Startica was a happy occasion and her presence would only bring horrible memories. With that, the defense ended their questions for now. The real questioning would take place when they made their own case.

Kenshin Takeda was called to the stand. This had been a lucky break for the prosecution. He was disgusted with actions of Jackson and Malone. It was one thing to raid the house for advanced technology, but he had a daughter in high school. The thought of his own daughter being raped and the indifference of his teammates had been too much. His lawyer, acting for the best interest of his client, immediately worked out a deal. In return for full cooperation, all charges against him would be dropped. Ryoko had gone along with this, since it was her rapists that she wanted. She had been less inclined when the prosecution accepted the defense's recommendation that charges against the sniper team be reduced. Both of them were offered on a couple of years in return for pleading guilty to a lesser charge. Forensics and the Galaxy Police's own sniper units had confirmed their claim that Mayuka and Ryo-Ohki had never been in any real danger. The shot had only been a warning. Ryoko didn't like it because they had still shot at her daughter and companion, but eventually agreed.

Once his testimony was finished, the defense declined to cross-examine. Ryo-Ohki's broadcast was then entered as evidence. Both the spectators and jurors watched in rapt silence as the events played out. When they reached the point where Roberts used them as hostages to enter the lab, the judge recessed for the day. The newspeople covering the trial immediately rushed to their offices. Meanwhile, the family went back to their quarters. After watching their favorites soaps, everyon relaxed a while before turning in early. Tomorrow would be a busy day.

The next day, the rest of Ryo-Ohki's broadcast was viewed. The defense questioned the validity of the broadcast. Yukinojo's logs were brought in. The identification codes in the broadcast matched Ryo-Ohki's registration. Furthermore, experts testified that it was a genuine broadcast, not faked. After this testimony, the defense had no further objections.

Mihoshi and Kiyone both testified next. They each described what they did when the broadcast was received. As senior officer, Kiyone explained her reasoning for rescuing Mayuka and Ryo-Ohki first. She also had to show that proper procedures were followed and everything they did was fully documented. This was one area where both officers were well known for. The main difference between them was Mihoshi had the better eye for the little details while Kiyone had a talent for organizing a cohesive report. Most defense lawyers usually tried to cut a deal when they found out the duo were the officers in charge.

Minagi's testimony was brief. She mainly described her capture of the sniper team. The rifle was also entered as evidence. Since she had only sliced the barrel, ballistics had matched the slug found in the shrine to the rifle. During cross-examination, she stated the instructions given to her by Kiyone. The forensic report confirmed Minagi's description of the events. The defense's frustration was beginning to show. Each time they tried to show either contamination of evidence or improper procedure, the prosecution was able show otherwise. Once more, Judge Oishi recessed for the day.

Come morning, Mihoshi was again called. She stated the actions taken during the rescue of the hostages. The defense pounced on her offer to let the raiders leave quietly, thinking she had slipped up. Mihoshi reminded them that Galactic law did not allow planets like Earth advanced technology. The raiders had found out the truth on their own. Since Earth was taking its first steps into space and debating the existence of life on other worlds, Mihoshi had concentrated on keeping the technology out of the raiders hands. Allowing them to leave was the best option at the time to do this while protecting the children. Of course, when the raiders were distracted by Washu and Minagi, both officers took immediate advantage.

Washu was sworn in. In a choked voice, she described hearing Ryoko's screams through their mental link. With frequent pauses, she told the court what she felt when she realized Ryoko was in the cave. Her voice cracked as she told of finding Ryoko broken in the cave pool. Washu broke into tears when she testified about discovering her daughter had been raped. The defense declining to cross-examine, Washu left the stand still crying.

Kiyone's medical scan was entered as evidence. Ryoko screamed as the photos were shown. Ami had never let her see them. At first, it was because Ryoko wasn't strong enough. Later, Ryoko was kept too busy to think about them. As a result, her shock was total when she saw the state she had been in. Her screams were matched by several jurors and spectators. One juror said if Ryoko hadn't been right there in front of him, he would have thought the picture was that of her corpse. Her eyes were completely lifeless and looking at them sent chills through everyone.

Judge Oishi called a fifteen minute recess. After everyone got themselves under control and order was restored, the testimony continued. All of Ryoko's injuries, the DNA evidence, and the physical evidence was logged. Ryoko was still pale, but she kept silent. She would not give the defense the satifaction of seeing her lose control again. Once all the scans were viewed, Kiyone testified that they had taken Ryoko to Seventh for treatment and processing of the prisoners.

Ami was then sworn in. She gave her diagnosis of Ryoko's condition and what had caused it. Calmly, Ami stated that it was Ryoko's belief that she was trapped in her former prison that caused her to retreat into her own mind. Asked why she didn't just free herself, Ami said the overdose of the tranquilizers had interfered with her powers just long enough. Her next statement was a bombshell. When asked by the prosecution why Ryoko was so terrified of the dark, Ami stated Ryoko had been conscious almost the entire time in the cave during her imprisonment by Yosho. Judge Oishi was hard pressed to maintain order as everyone started talking.

The prosecution had allowed this information to come out for different reasons. Ever since the grand jury, there had been much speculation as to why the cave had held Ryoko so effectively the second time. Bringing the truth out in open court rather letting rumor mill go to work would be less trouble in the long run. Also, it would strengthen the case they had against the raiders. Even though they didn't know why, the raiders knew Ryoko was completely terrified of the dark and had used that knowledge against her. Finally, by introducing the evidence themselves, the prosecution was stealing some the defense's thunder. They knew the defense wanted to in effect put Ryoko on trial. Now one more weapon had been removed.

Finally, Judge Oishi restored order. Yosho then took the stand. He related the same story he had told Kiyone, leaving out only Ryoko's power being related to Jurai's and the fact the gems were what kept him young. When Yosho was finished testifying, the prosecution rested its case. Afterwards, the judge recessed for the next day . The newspeople fell over themselves trying to get to their offices. The tabloids were positively salivating at this potential scandal concerning the Jurai Royal Family. They tried to get a statement from Funaho, but she declined, citing the gag order. Everyone else also declined for the same reason. Jackson's defense lawyer attempted to give an interview, but was threatened with a contempt of court citation if he violated the gag order.

In their quarters later that day, Washu apologized for losing control like that. She honestly thought she'd be able to testify, but having to remember everything had been too much. It opened wounds she had thought healed, and brought the raw pain and grief to the surface once more. Ami made a mental note to herself to spend some time with Washu. She amended that to include the entire family. She'd been so busy with Ryoko that she forgot that this incident had affected everyone else as well. Ethics and duty demanded she at least find out how they were dealing with everything that had happened.

Two days later, the defense made its opening statement. The main thrust of their argument was that Ayeka's appearance over Kurashiki had ultimately been the cause of the raid. Exposing her ship to general populace was a flagrant violation of Jurain and Galactic law. When Azusa had brought his ship over the house, even he had taken time to cloak their presence. The rape wasn't mentioned, in part because Jackson's and Malone's lawyers wanted to tear Ryoko apart on the stand. As far they knew, Ryoko was still terrified of the cave and unable to talk about it. Forcing her to testify about the cave would break her spirit.

Ayeka was called first. Quietly, she told the court of her actions when she had detected Ryoko. Robert's lawyer pressed for an explanation of why she still tried to capture her even though she was violating the law. Her voice shaking, Ayeka admitted it was blind hatred for Ryoko that drove her to continue her course of action. Smugly, the defense ended questioning, their point made. The prosecution then showed news clippings from the next day. Only a brief mention was made of Ryu-Oh's appearance over the city, while the destruction of the Seto-Ohashi Bridge was passed off as a meteor strike.

Roberts was then called to the stand. He described Ryoko's actions over the years after her release. He mainly concentrated on the early years, when Ryoko was still fighting with Ayeka. Her heavy drinking, continual flaunting herself at Tenchi, and general immaturity were all brought out. This was a deliberate attempt to show Ryoko in a bad light, in order to cast doubt in the minds of the jurors. It also setup things for when Ryoko was called to the stand.. Under a withering cross-examination, however, Roberts was forced to admit Ryoko had changed when Mayuka entered her life. Pressed by the prosecution, he said Ryoko was in every way a responsible, caring mother to the infant, including remaining completely sober.

A little miffed, the defense called Ami back to the stand. They wanted to show Ryoko was mentally unstable, again to cast doubt. Coolly, Ami testified that Ryoko's main problem was her lack of social skills and emotional immaturity. Her enslavement under Kagato had denied her a normal upbringing. Even though she was physically mature, emotionally and socially she was little more than a child, and acted accordingly. She was expected to act in ways she was unfamiliar with, which created much of the problems. Caring for May was what helped her reach emotional maturity. Otherwise, Ryoko was a normal person, in no way mentally ill.

Realizing they had blundered, Jackson and Malone's lawyers decided to cut straight to the chase. They called Ryoko to the stand. As she walked up, Ryoko looked at their faces. Even though they hid it, she could tell the defense was gloating at the thought of forcing her to testify. The lawyers wanted to see her destroyed. Kiyone had warned her that despite some of their antics, her rapist's lawyers were actually very good. There was no way however that she'd give them the satisfaction. Ryoko would beat them at their own game, with their own weapons.

"Miss Ryoko Hakubi, please tell the court what happened the day of the so-called 'raid'", Jackson's lawyer asked condenscendingly.

"I was attacked by unknown people as I was preparing to cleanse the front of the shrine. They used some sort of sedative on me, because I was knocked out and woke up in the cave that had been my former prison.", Ryoko replied in a meek voice. She appeared to be scared, but anyone who knew her immediately saw the facade for what it was. Ryoko was actually getting ready to turn the tables on the defense.

"Go on, please continue with your story," he said. This was going to be great, he thought.

"Please, don't make me tell what happened. I've had nightmares ever since that day and wake up screaming.", Ryoko pleaded, sounding even more scared. The defense was falling for the bait she dangled in front of them.

"Tell the court, Miss Ryoko. You've been found competent enough to testify, now do so!", Malone's lawyer thundered.

Her voice shaking, Ryoko said, "I...I thought at first I was dreaming when I first woke up. Then I realized that I really was back in that hellhole. I couldn't use any of my powers or even move. It was just like the first time. This time was worse, because I couldn't project my astral body. I thought I was trapped for good in there. Don't make me remember this."

"You've sworn to tell the WHOLE truth, Miss Hakubi. ", Jackson's lawyer pressed. Both of them were walking a tightrope here. Judge Oishi might decide they were out of bounds with their questioning. So far, he hadn't said anything yet, but that didn't mean he wasn't paying attention.

Ryoko looked down, seeming to gather herself. When she looked up, she no longer looked scared at all. Pinning both of them with nothing more than her eyes, she spoke in a clear voice.

"You want the whole truth, fine. I escaped the only way I could, I fled to the deepest, darkest recesses of my mind. For me, being trapped in that cave was far worse than whatever horrors my mind could dredge up. Then I was somehow woken up from my self-imposed nightmare, only to find out I was raped by two of my attackers. I had escaped one form of hell, only to be thrown into another.", she said.

The defense was stunned. Ryoko was supposed to be terrified of the cave, and yet she was talking about it quite easily. Not ready to give up, they tried a different tact.

"For someone who was a slave, you're acting like rape was something foreign to you.", Jackson's lawyer sneered, the insinuation blatant.

The prosecution immediately objected to the question and indeed Judge Oishi was going to have it stricken from the record, when Ryoko stopped him. With no trace of anger, she said that she would answer the question. Reluctantly, Judge Oishi allowed her to proceed.

"Let me make it clear to you. Yes, I was Kagato's slave but he NEVER TOUCHED ME THAT WAY!! He got off on one thing and one thing only, POWER. He loved nothing better than to take control of me and use me like a puppet. That's what I was, an unthinking, emotionless doll that he could play with. To him, sex was a weakness, same as emotions. Kagato raped me mentally, treating me as an object not a person. He robbed me of my mother, my dignity, almost my very identity as person. He didn't need to have sex with me. As a result, I was a virgin when your clients raped me. They stole the last shred of innocence I possessed.", she said, her voice cold as deep space.

The two lawyers saw their whole game plan crumbling. Instead of being broken on the stand, Ryoko was beating them at their own game. Still, there was one last thing they could try.

"If you're so afraid of the cave, then why didn't you press charges against Prince Yosho?", Malone's lawyer asked.

"Because Tenchi had entered my life. I learned how to love and forgive through him. What good would it have to done to press charges? Besides, unlike your clients, Prince Yosho feels remorse for what happened. For me, knowing he has to live with what he has done is punishment enough.", Ryoko said with dignity.

Defeated, the defense rested their case. Judge Oishi recessed for the weekend. As they went back to their quarters, Ami told Ryoko she had done better than expected on the witness stand. By answering that question, she had shown tremendous courage. Ryoko replied that she had been infuriated by the insinuation. Kagato had destroyed enough of her life and there was no way she was going to let him destroy anymore of it.

The next week, the prosecution made its opening arguments. They summarized the case they had made. Each of the charges that the defendants were accused of were linked to the evidence presented earlier. By the time they were finished, a very convincing case had been built and all knew it.

The defense's argument was much shorter. They mainly tried to show that the evidence was tainted, and therefore inadmissable. At no point did the defense say their clients were not guilty, only that the prosecution hadn't proven their case.

The prosecution's closing arguement was also brief. With clear precision, they said the defendants had been entitled to a fair trial, which had been given. Now the People, as represented by Ryoko, Ryo-Ohki, and Mayuka, were entitled a verdict of guilty on all charges. Otherwise, justice wouldn't be served. After finishing their argument, Judge Oishi gave the jury their instructions. He reminded them to consider the case strictly upon the evidence presented. With that, the jury retired to deliberate.

For the next two days, everyone waited for the verdict. If Ryoko had her powers, she would have been literally walking the walls and ceiling. As it was, she wore a path around their quarters. Washu threatened to tie her up in her machine if she didn't settle down. She was just as anxious, but posessed better control. Then came the call that the jury had decided.

When all were present and accounted for, Judge Oishi formally asked if the jury had reached a verdict. The foreman replied they had. The judge then asked for the forms to be handed to the bailiff. The bailiff gave the verdict forms to Judge Oishi, who carefully studied. He then had the clerk read the verdict. After listing the case's plaintiffs and defendants and the case number, the clerk finally got to the actual verdict.

"We the jury find all the defendants to be GUILTY of conspiracy and assault. We further find Franklin Roberts to be GUILTY of kidnapping and criminal threatening.", the clerk read. Almost biting her nails, Ryoko waited for the final verdict to be read. Everyone else in the courtroom also waited for the last verdict

"We the jury do hereby find Harold Jackson and Thomas Malone to be GUILTY of aggravated sexual assault.", the clerk read. Judge Oishi pounded with his gavel as everyone in the court responded. He sternly told the courtroom that court was still in session. Ryoko closed her eyes as the tension flowed from her. Until the verdict was read, she hadn't believed she would get justice.

Once order was restored, Judge Oishi declared the penalties would be decided the next day. No longer wearing the cocky expressions they had during the trial, the defendants were led back to the holding cells. As of now, all of them were convicted criminals. After they left, the court was recessed.

During the penalty phase, both sides were allowed to argue their case. Any mitigating circumstance were considered in deciding the length of the sentences. Since there were so many different races in the Galactic Union with different lifespans, prison sentences were based upon a percentage of the average lifespan of prisoner's homeworld, converted into Standard Galactic Time. This translated to a maximum of thirty years Earth time for the more serious charges, and seven to ten years for some of the lesser charges.

The prosecution spoke first. As they had previously stated, they wanted the maximum sentence for the two rapists. They stressed the fact the raiders had imprisoned Ryoko in the cave knowing her fear of the dark. She had been raped while she was totally helpless. Furthermore, the prosecution was allowed to give the reason for the rape, namely to get back at Washu. This hadn't been introduced during the first part of trial, since it had no direct bearing upon the guilt phase. Since they had been found guilty, any reason for their actions could now be considered.

The defense mainly said that the raiders had only been interested in acquiring the technology. They stressed the fact that Ryoko hadn't been killed, only confined. Ryo-Ohki and Mayuka were also unharmed. As for the rapists, there wasn't anything to be said. After the defense was finished, the jury once more retired.

For the rest of the day they deliberated. Then just before Judge Oishi was going to recess for the day, word came of their decision. Everyone was brought back into the courtroom. After the court was called to order, the jury foreman proceeded to read the sentences.

"For the charge of conspiracy, we the jury do hereby impose a sentence of no less than five Earth years for each defendant. For the charge of assault of Ryoko Hakubi, we the jury do hereby impose seven Earth years for each defendant. Each of the sentences shall be served concurrently, with possibility of parole."

"For the charges of kidnapping and criminal threatening of Mayuka Masaki and Ryo-Ohki Hakubi against Franklin Roberts, we the jury do hereby impose a sentence of ten Earth years on each count, to be served consecutively with no possibility of parole."

Ryoko was relieved that the person who had terrorized Mayuka and Ryo-Ohki was getting the sentence he deserved. Now there was only one last sentence to be imposed. She desperately wanted to hear the foreman say the words that would let her believe in the criminal justice system. The tension palpable, everyone waited for final sentence to be read.

"For the charge of aggravated sexual assault of Ryoko Hakubi, commonly known as rape, against Harold Jackson and Thomas Malone, we the jury can only find and do hereby impose the maximum sentence of thirty Earth years, with no possibility of parole. Furthermore, this sentence shall be carried out before the sentences on the charges of conspiracy and assault.", the foreman formally read. Judge Oishi declared that the final sentencing would take place tomorrow morning. With that statement, he recessed for the day.

Early the next morning, the court was convened. Judge Oishi looked at all of the defendants. He asked if they had anything to say before final sentencing was carried out. They declined, having gambled and lost. Jackson and Malone stood silently, not even looking at anyone. The judge then proceeded to declare final sentencing.

"After consideration of the evidence presented in this case, and any mitigating factors, I do hereby concur with the sentence handed down by the jury. The defendants are to be immediately remanded into the custody of the Dept. of Corrections to begin serving their sentences. I must thank all of the jury for not allowing the plaintiff's reputation nor the publicity surrounding this trial to interfere with their civic duty of judging the case strictly on its merits."

"Miss Ryoko Hakubi, I realize that you and your companion Ryo-Ohki were unjustly persecuted for the majority of your life. The justice system is not perfect, but it will work if given a chance. Had you been brought to trial, it is likely your enslavement would have been discovered. Since you were forced against your will to commit the crimes, you would have been found not guilty, but would probably be put into psychiatric care. I hope your faith in the justice system is restored now. This court is now adjourned.", Judge Oishi stated, giving the traditional rap with his gavel.

It was all Ryoko could do to hold herself together until they reached their quarters. Once safely inside, she let herself go. All the pain and sorrow that was bottled up inside of her since she was first told was released in a flurry of tears. Her tormentors were headed to prison where they would do hard time. Kiyone said the reputation her rapists now had was a double-edged sword. It made them celebrities of sorts, but it also made them targets. They would spend their sentences looking over their shoulders for anyone who wanted to acquire their own reputation.

After she had cried herself out, Ryoko had a quiet celebration with everyone. They would be leaving the next day, so the party was kept short. Washu said Ryoko could fly once they got home. However, schoolwork still had precedence. ANY slacking off and she'd be grounded again.

A press conference was held just before they left for home. Ryoko told the reporters she had gotten what she came for. Asked what her plans were, she replied she simply wanted to raise her adopted daughter in peace. Someone lobbed the question was she going to marry Prince Tenchi. After regaining their composure, both Ayeka and Ryoko stated Tenchi was the one to make that decision. No matter who he chose, they would remain friends.

They arrived home early in the morning after an uneventful trip. Even though there wasn't any classes, Tenchi wasn't home. Before anyone could ask where he was, Misaki said he had gone to the shrine to meditate. The conference had convinced him the time had come to decide who he would marry. He would return later that evening and make his announcement after supper.

Ryoko and Ayeka had mixed feelings. They knew that once he decided, things would be forever changed. Both of them had hoped for and dreaded this day. Now the day had arrived.

Neither of them were allowed to dwell on this. Washu hustled Ryoko off to school while Misaki buried Ayeka with paperwork. It wasn't until late afternoon that they could talk about what would happen now. They were all relaxing in the onsen, discussing Tenchi's upcoming decision and how it would affect them. Misaki asked her daughter what she would do if Tenchi chose Ryoko.

"I really don't know Mommy. One thing I've learned living on Earth is what love really is. Whoever I marry, that person will love and accept me for WHO I am, not because of my title. I won't be trapped in a loveless marriage simply because it benefits Jurai.", Ayeka replied.

When asked the same question Ryoko didn't say anything for a long while. Finally, she gathered her thoughts enough to answer.

"If Tenchi had married Ayeka during those first years, I would've had to be committed at the very least. Tenchi was my very life and soul then. Loving him was what kept me from losing my mind while I tried to learn how to live as a normal person."

"After I stopped fighting with Ayeka, I'd have gone on a bender that would surpass any other but I would eventually accept their marriage. I never really objected to Ayeka loving Tenchi. It would hurt, but if Tenchi was happy that's all that would matter."

"Now I have my little girl to keep me going. If Tenchi marries Ayeka, I'll attend the wedding even if it is on Jurai. However, I decided long before Mayuka came into my life that this place is my home. Mayuka will be raised here on Earth. I don't know if I could ever fall in love with someone else, but anything is possible.", she said quietly.

Mihoshi asked, "There's something I don't understand. Why hasn't Ayeka pushed for Tenchi to marry both of you? Surely he must know that as Crown Prince he is allowed to do this."

"Because I forbade her from making any suggestion to Tenchi. Here in Japan, and indeed the majority of Earth, polygamy isn't practiced. He would have to go against everything he's been taught to believe in. Also, how would he explain it to the rest of his family? His great-aunt only recently found out the whole truth. The rest of his family doesn't know and they would find it very hard to accept. And what if we both have children by him? If he decides to marry us both, it must be his decision and his alone.", Ryoko replied.

Just before supper, Tenchi came back home. Everyone was quiet as they ate, knowing that he would soon announce his decision. After supper, he waited for them to settle down in the living room. Ryoko and Ayeka sat together, tension clearly evident in both of them. Tenchi reached into his pocket and pulled out an engagement ring.

"Ayeka, will you consent to be my wife?", he said while putting the ring on her finger.

Ayeka could barely say yes. Ryoko's vision blurred as tears filled her eyes. She had known that this might happen. It still hurt deeply, but she reminded herself she had Mayuka. Tenchi had sworn never to allow them to be separated. Tenchi then said something else but it didn't register until she felt a ring being put on her finger as well.

"Ryoko, will you consent to be my second wife?", Tenchi repeated.

"YESS!!", she cried, tears of joy now falling.

Both of them were in shock. Tenchi had made the one decision neither expected but both Ryoko and Ayeka had secretly hoped for. Before they could ask any questions, Tenchi spoke again.

"Ayeka, Ryoko, I realized sometime ago that I need you both in my life. I may not like it, but I have a duty that was given to me when I was accepted by Tenchiken. However, I can't be Crown Prince alone. I need you Ayeka to keep me from making too many mistakes. And I need you Ryoko to make sure I never forget who I am. It wasn't easy for me to ask both of you. Still, we can make it work.", he said as he sat between them.

"Just one thing, what's this SECOND WIFE deal!!?? What makes me any less than Ayeka?", Ryoko asked with a certain glint in her eye.

"I didn't mean it to come out that way. I love both you equally. It's just the Council would never accept you by yourself or as First Wife. I had a long talk with them and the only way they would support me was with Ayeka as First Wife. Her first child will next in line after me. To make sure they would support me marrying you, I suggested that Sasami and her children be put before you and your children.", Tenchi managed to stammer.

Ryoko nodded at Tenchi's explanation. She had already guessed the reason. Actually, had Tenchi asked just her or as First Wife, she would have made a similar suggestion. Statecraft and rulership was Ayeka's area, not hers. Ryoko wanted to just be able to live her life in peace and quiet. She was simply laying down some ground rules, namely she would NEVER BE SUBSERVIENT to Tenchi or Ayeka.

Ryoko and Ayeka then rested their heads on Tenchi's shoulders. For the two of them it was a dream come true. There would be problems ahead to be sure, but one way or another, they'd pull through like the family they were.


Whew!! Talk about the chapter that kept on growing. This chapter took forever to write because I had so much to cover. I've got a lot notes for you take down, so get out your pencils and paper.

Zero's remaining a separate personality inside Ryoko is clearly implied in Episode 13, Part 2. Both Mihoshi and Washu talk about Zero as an person in her own right. In Episode 11, there is clear evidence Zero is reaching self awareness when she tells Clay that she is afraid after meeting Tokimi.

I freely admit that I got the original idea for Ryoko's limited reading skills from Diane Long's "Little Ryoko", which is on both fanfiction.net as well as the archive. The main difference between her story and mine is she has Ryoko being abducted as a teenager, while I had Ryoko abducted as a child. Episode 13 show Ryoko can read but only with great difficulty. When Misaki has her by the mouth, she still manages to talk in a normal voice. (Quite a trick if you think about it). However, when she reads Sasami's sign, you can clearly hear the spacing between each word, even in the original dialogue.

For those who don't understand what the hiragana and katakana alphabets are, I will explain. Japanese uses three different ways of writing, the hiragana and katakana alphabets, and the picture forms known as kanji. Kanji are a pictographic way of expressing ideas that came from China. By the time they graduate high school, Japanese children are required to know 2,000 kanji that were deemed essential by the Ministry of Education. A good example of kanji is the symbols on the doors of Ryoko's onsen. They say "Ladies" and "Tenchi". You should be able to guess which is which since Tenchi's kanji is also on his jacket.

The hiragana and katakana are phoenetic alphabets that mean the same thing. Japanese letters express sounds and a word is pronounced exactly as it written. Each letter is pronounced the same in both alphabets, the main difference between being usage. Hiragana letters are used exclusively for native Japanese words. Katakana letter are used for transcription of foreign or imported words.

For a better understanding of the importance of having a large vocabulary, read "1984" by George Orwell. This is the story in which Big Brother was introduced. One of the ways control is increased over the populace is the wholesale elimination of words from the language. Without words to describe a concept, in time people would become mindless followers, unable to think for themselves. Controlling the flow of information is the way most tyrants and despots stay in power. If people can't learn for themselves, then they have no way of knowing if what they know is the truth.

The story of how Mihoshi got her driver's license is in Vol 2. of the "No need for Tenchi" manga. This chapter will the last dark chapter. All further chapters will be much lighter in tone.

In Chapter 7, Tench marries Ryoko and Ayeka. However there's a slight problem. Ayeka is born and bred a Princess and she wants a wedding worthy of royalty. Ryoko finds those wedding torture that ranks just below the cave. She wants a simple Shinto ceremony. Guess who's caught in the crossfire? ( heheheh ). Also, now that she has achieved her dream of marrying Tenchi, Ryoko finds herself asking what direction her life will take.