Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Tears ❯ Wedding Bells ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Tears:Chapter 7

As she got ready for bed that night, it was all Ryoko could do to keep from jumping with joy. She was going to be Tenchi's wife!! It didn't matter that Ayeka would also be his wife, or Ayeka's child would be his heir. The only thing Ryoko cared about was that Tenchi wanted her to be a permanent fixture in his life. Still, she felt like having some fun with her fiancee. Since they would be sharing the same husband, Ryoko decided to include Ayeka on her little joke. Quietly, she took Ayeka aside and explained what she had in mind. Prudently, she blocked her link with Washu first and told Zero to also keep silent. Minagi had left on patrol with Mihoshi and Kiyone, so Ryoko wasn't concerned about her spoiling her plans.

It took some serious persuasion to get Ayeka to go along, but Ryoko finally convinced her. While Ayeka had loosened up over the years, Ryoko's plan definitely went past her normal boundaries. Too, she worried about her father and mother's reactions if they found out. Ryoko assured her that Misaki's bugging devices would be taken care of just before they put the plan into action. She expected to be finished before Misaki showed up to wake them for the morning workout. Besides, if Tenchi had decided already that he needed them both, he should have said so sooner. A small lesson was definitely in order. An evil grin that matched Ryoko's appeared on Ayeka's face as Ryoko pointed this out. They shook hands and climbed into bed with Tenchi.

Ryoko woke up about an hour before dawn. Silently, she crept out of bed and began hunting down the bugs in the room. She was amazed at the number she found, but finally all of them were disabled. She then woke Ayeka and carefully got back into bed. With a nod to her co-conspirator, Ryoko rolled over on top of Tenchi, mumuring his name as if dreaming. Feigning sleep, Ayeka watched as he woke up in Ryoko's clutches. The look on his face was priceless as he tried to get Ryoko off of him without waking her. What made it even more difficult was the fact Ryoko wasn't wearing anything and kept a very tight grip around him. Ryoko had also tried to get Ayeka to sleep nude, but there was only so far Ayeka was willing to go. After a few minutes, Ryoko let herself be pushed off. Ayeka waited until Tenchi caught his breath and then rolled on top, also mumuring his name.

Tenchi's stomach flip-flopped as Ayeka held onto him. Visions of what would happen if Misaki or Azusa walked in and saw them swam through his head. Of course, he didn't know Ryoko had snuck into the guest room and shut off Misaki's alarm clock. When she felt Tenchi had suffered enough, Ayeka let him push her back to the side of the bed. Ryoko then rolled right back on him and again snuggled in. Ayeka wished she could be as bold as Ryoko was, but she just couldn't. Still, she promised herself their wedding night would definitely be one to remember. Meanwhile, Tenchi was trying desperately to get Ryoko off so he could catch his breath. Again, Ryoko let herself be pushed off and on cue, Ayeka rolled right back over.

Tenchi was a bundle of nerves by now. Misaki had quite been clear with her threats, and the gods only knew what Azusa was capable of. He didn't want to think about Washu's lab and all those machines. He had to get up now before someone walked in and got the wrong idea. Finally, he managed to push Ayeka off, and spent the next few minutes trying to calm his nerves. Just as he was starting to move, both Ayeka and Ryoko rolled on top of him and opened their eyes. With smiles of pure mischief, they said, "Tenchii!!".

Tenchi's face darkened as he realized he'd been had. There was no way he was going to let them get away with this. He began tickling them unmercifully as he pushed them off. Ryoko and Ayeka were soon gasping for breath, and begging him to stop. When he showed no sign of stopping, Ayeka swatted him with her pillow. He swatted her back and then ducked her return swing. The pillow hit Ryoko, who hit back at Ayeka. Ayeka then got both of them on her return swing. Tenchi hit each of them with a double swing. It turned into a free-for-all pillow fight, and soon the room was filled with feather down.

"My, my, what a lovely picture you children make", Washu said as she turned the lights on.

"AAAGGGGHHH!!", all three screamed in unison.

There in the doorway were Washu,Misaki,Funaho,Azusa and Nobuyuki all with wide grins plastered on their faces. Both Washu and Nobuyuki had video cameras and it was clear they had all been there for some time. Ryoko,Tenchi, and Ayeka all tried to think of something to say, but were at a loss for words. Of course, Zero was laughing inside Ryoko's head at their predicament. Finally, Ryoko managed to speak.

"Ah, Mom I can explain everything", she stammered.

"No need Little Ryoko. I knew about your plans last night. I let everyone else enjoy the show this morning", Washu snickered.

"WWHAAT!? HOW?? I know Zero didn't tell, so who told you?", Ryoko shrieked.

Washu stepped aside, and there was Ryo-Ohki in child form, with a look of innonence that fooled no one.

"YOU LITTLE BRAT!!! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON MY SIDE!!", Ryoko screamed

Ryo-Ohki went "NNYYAAHH!!" at Ryoko (think Chibi Usa and Usagi from the Sailor Moon manga) and switched to cabbit while she ran. Ryoko was hot on her trail, heedless of her own nudity.

Tenchi's and Ayeka's faces meanwhile were inventing new shades of red. Finally, Misaki told them to report to the training area. Ryoko could still be heard chasing Ryo-Ohki. Washu finally put a stop to their antics and ordered Ryoko to get dressed. It was with a certain amount of trepidation the three of them went to the arena. Suprisingly, Misaki went pretty easy on them. The look on their faces earlier had been absolutely priceless, and she really didn't have the heart to torture them anymore. Besides, it is almost impossible to be mean and nasty while stopping yourself from giggling. Afterwards, everyone had breakfast and went to their normal routines.

At class, Washu only graded Ryoko's homework. Tenchi's proposal last night had convinced Washu now was the time to talk to Ryoko about her lost memories and a few other things. Once she was done, Washu led Ryoko to the park area of the lab.

"Ryoko, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about for over a year now. I was going to ask you when I came back from the Academy, but circumstances changed that. Now you're going to be married, and it can't be put off any longer.", Washu said.

"What do want to talk about?", Ryoko asked.

"What is the earliest memory you have?", Washu quietly asked.

A brief flash of pain crossed Ryoko's face, but she answered the question in a calm, steady voice. "The first thing I remember is Kagato telling me that I was his creation and he was my master. He then showed a picture with me in a capsule, saying that I was created and grown in it."

"And our meeting on Soja was the first time we ever met?", Washu continued. Ryoko nodded, wondering what was the point of the conversation.

"If you don't remember me from before, why is it you've never said that picture is a fake?", Washu pressed.

For long minutes, Ryoko had no answer. She could remember everything in her life, and yet that event was nowhere to be found. In the picture, she was clearly younger than her earliest memories, and it had confused her greatly.

"I guess it's because even if was a fake, it's still something I could look at and imagine it was me. I could dream that girl had a normal home and life, not living in hell.", Ryoko said.

"Ryoko, that picture is no fake. The memory of that incident is locked up inside you, along with many others. It took me a long time, but I found out why you have no memory of me or your childhood.", Washu replied.

"What the hell are talking about?", Ryoko growled

"Ryoko, that night in the lab wasn't just punishment. Stripping you of your defenses enabled me to find out why you don't remember me. I know what Kagato did and how to undo it. Do you understand? I can give you back your memories of what little childhood you had," Washu stated.

"WHY DIDN'T TELL ME THIS BEFORE??!!", Ryoko practically screamed.

"Because to do so would require a level of trust that you wouldn't have given me after that night. After we reconciled, I had hoped to you ask you then. The attack last year forced me to wait some more. You were a total wreck and I had to wait until I was certain you were healed. I admit I've been a little distracted with teaching you also. Kagato did everything he could to destroy your spirit and I wanted to instill the desire to learn in you again." Washu said.

"So why can't I remember?", Ryoko pleaded.

"Kagato moved your memories to one part of your brain and physically severed the neural connections. Your brain eventually built new connections around that section. I can reconnect that part of your brain, but it will be a very slow and delicate procedure. During the operation, you will have to be completely immobilized. Any movement beyond breathing could end up doing more damage to your brain. I also want you conscious in order to let me know of any discomfort or pain. That's why I didn't tell you, you would never agree to be helpless like that.", Washu replied.

Ryoko sat still, thinking about her mother's proposal. She did not like the idea of being paralyzed, but if meant having happy memories she was willing to go through with it. A thought occurred to her and she asked Washu immediately.

"How did I end up in Kagato's clutches?"

"The Masu are susceptable to telepathic suggestions. Shortly after you were born, I put in some extremely powerful blocks in order to prevent you from being controlled. As you grew older, I was going to teach you how do this on your own. Kagato kidnapped you just before your fifth birthday. At that age, you were old enough to walk and talk, but not strong enough to resist him. I could feel him torturing you and it drove me almost insane. He did it in order to get past those blocks and take control. I went after you, but Kagato had hidden himself well. When I finally found you, I was so overjoyed that I didn't pay attention. You attacked me and caught me completely by surprise. When I woke up, I was already imprisoned in that stasis crystal. Kagato had gained control over you just long enough to stop me. He then explored your mind inside and out. Once he had complete control, that was when he erased your memories. I knew that he had done something to you even then, but not the details. You still had your independent spirit and that he destroyed next. The torture you remember was designed to break you will, he already had control over your body if he wanted it. If I had payed attention, I could have broken his control over you that day and stopped him. I've had to live with that mistake ever since.", Washu said sadly.

"So I'll remember all the bad stuff as well?", Ryoko continued.

"Yes, but what I can do is slow the influx down. You'll remember a little at a time, so you can deal with it safely. That's what I tried to do with your memories of the cave, but you lost control. The main thing is you'll have all your memories. Your life will no longer have a great big hole in it. Please, let me give you back that part of your life.", Washu pleaded with her daughter.

Ryoko again sat thinking. Despite the caveats, it was a chance she couldn't pass up. Finally, she agreed to let Washu operate on her. Washu then hugged her, promising she would make the procedure as painless as possible. She then told Ryoko that operation would be started the next morning, but for now she needed Ryoko for something else. Ryoko followed her to the machine where Mayuka had been reborn. There was something already growing, a fetus that looked like Ryoko.

"What the hell is going on??!!", Ryoko said.

"Ryoko, I never meant for Zero to be permanently joined with you. When she copied you, she achieved full self-awareness or other words, was born. The stresses on any A.I. achieving sentience are incredible. It now has to learn how to cope with being able to think for itself. Clay didn't help matters any with his controlling her and then attempted murder. By putting her in you, she would be protected until she learned to function on her own. Even though she looks like an adult, Zero is only a child. She should be living life as a child, not stuck in a grown body. She most certainly isn't ready to experience sex, and that's what will happen sooner or later after you get married.", Washu stated. Ryoko blushed, and had to agree about the sex part. It was a chore just keeping Zero from seeing Nobuyuki's hentai magazines and keeping her fantasies private.

"Because she is used to your body and its powers, I repeated what I did 5000 years ago, I used some of my ova and the Masu and created a new body for her. What I didn't do is impregnate myself. Zero needs a child's body, not an infant's. This body will grown to match her age, and then stabilized for normal growth. I'll transfer her consciousness into it and she will be able to live a normal life. I've already submitted a request to formally adopt her and the paperwork should be arriving any day now. Ami knows about this since she had to report on my fitness as a mother and what kind of environment that would be provided. Oh, there's one more thing. I've never liked that name because it implied she had no worth. From now on, her name is Aiko Hakubi, your little sister. Her body will be ready tomorrow. So Ryoko, not only do you get your memories back, you'll be gaining a sister.", Washu finished.

Not knowing what else to say, Ryoko let her other half come out. Zero, now and forevermore Aiko, looked at what would be her new body. While she was excited about having her own body again, she was also a little scared. Ryoko's mind had been a sanctuary for her, a place where she could retreat whenever the outside world became too much. Now she was unsure how she would cope. Washu saw her expression and quickly calmed the fears of her new daughter.

"Aiko, I know that it will be hard at first, but it's for the best. You were able to function on your own when Ryoko stayed in the cave, so I know you're ready for this. I've already created a room for you in the lab, where you can go if you need privacy. Later on, I'll enroll you in school. You'll be able to play with other children and make friends.", she said.

Reassured, Aiko went back inside. Washu then headed back to the classroom and class began. It was indeed a joy to be able to teach her daughter. Kagato's attempt to make Ryoko into an unthinking machine had always been a personal nightmare for Washu. Seeing her bright, inquisitive child turned into the cold, empty slave was an offense to the very principles she had dedicated her life to, the quest for knowledge. Even after his death, Ryoko had shown very little desire to learn. She had taught herself how to read mostly as a survival tactic. Caring for Mayuka had started Ryoko on the path of learning, but there was only so much she could learn from watching the television. To truly learn how to think, she needed to read and write and question what she learned. Washu's ultimatum had forced Ryoko to improve her skills. The school lessons further pushed Ryoko down the path. Ryoko had been surprised to find out how poor her math skills were. When asked to calculate a course in space, she had quickly given an answer. Asked how she arrived at the answer, Ryoko had been unable to even guess. Washu then gave Ryoko a sample of the household budget and told her to balance it. Try as she might, she couldn't do this simple task. Aiko could have helped, but had been ordered by Washu not to interfere. Ryoko was almost in tears before Washu stopped her. Washu then explained Kagato had merely given her the knowledge she needed, but not the underlying principles. In effect, she had a calculator in her brain that she could use, but no understanding of how it worked, only that it did.

Now Ryoko's math skills had progressed to the middle school level. Her reading and writing skills were also at a similar point. The innate intelligience she had been born with was blossoming into the mind Washu knew she capable of. One of the happiest moments for Washu was when she discovered Ryoko reading for pleasure. It was the first time Ryoko had read something that she hadn't been assigned. True, it had been a comic, but she was actually READING the book, following the dialogue and story, not struggling to even understand the words. Washu had watched her daughter and then quietly left, Ryoko completely unaware. It was as Washu had said, Ryoko had discovered a whole new world, one that been denied her. Later, she began reading regular books as well. It was like a part of her that had been locked up had been finally freed.

At dinner that night, Washu announced that she would be operating on Ryoko to restore her lost memories. She didn't mention Aiko, since she wanted to surprise everyone. Since operation was so delicate, the lab would be closed during this time. Ami's apartment and the guest rooms were separate from the main lab, so accessing them wasn't a concern. After the operation was finished, Washu said she'd show everyone some of the happier moments of Ryoko's childhood. These recordings included some of Ryoko's more embarrasing moments, but they were still moments to be treasured. Ayeka looked forward to seeing these, but said nothing. She was still mortified at the thought of her mother keeping that blasted holo of her wetting the bed. If Ryoko ever saw it, Ayeka knew her friend would save it for just the right moment. They may have stopped the fighting, but both still liked to tease and embarass each other. Ryoko meanwhile was thinking of that photo. She knew her mother would show it and she'd never hear the end of it.

The next morning, Ryoko and Ami went into the lab. Ami would be helping Washu since the operation would take so long. Before they could begin, Aiko had to be moved to her new body. Washu hooked Ryoko to machine that had been used for the memories of the cave. She then connected Aiko's body and began the process of moving Aiko's consciousness into her body. A few minutes later, Aiko's brain showed signs of activity.

"All right Aiko, we'll run a few tests to see how well you've settled in. Follow my finger with your eyes," Washu stated.

After doing this, Washu then had her move her limbs and extremities one at a time. Satisfied that she had control over her body, Washu then told Aiko to stand up. She managed to stand, but fell over when she tried to walk..

"OWW!! What's wrong with me Mommy?", Aiko cried.

"You're used to Ryoko's body. This body has less mass and height and therefore a different center of gravity and balance. While I'm operating on your sister, I want you to practice moving around. I've setup a gym for you to workout in and one of my robots has been programmed with some basic exercises. I'll check on you a little later, but for now I've got work to do. Oh, and don't bother to trying use your powers. I've blocked them until I'm certain you're in full control.", Washu explained.

Aiko pouted at this, since she had thought of flying and playing around with the sword. Washu gave her a stern look and pushed her towards the gym. The training 'bot helped support her as she walked. Washu had dressed Aiko's body beforehand in a gym uniform, and already had a wardrobe made up for her. Once Aiko had left the room, Washu then had Ryoko lay down. Still a little nervous at her coming ordeal, Ryoko complied.

"Calm down Ryoko. You'll be immobilized, true, but it won't be like in the cave. Either myself or Ami will be with you. I've done everything to make sure you'll be as comfortable as possible.", Washu reassured her daughter.

"I know Mom, but it still scares me that I'll be totally helpless. I couldn't move at all while I was imprisoned and now I have to go through that again?", Ryoko replied.

"Yes, but unlike that time. you'll be warm, dry and above all, not alone. Furthermore, once the probes are all inserted and working, I can put you to sleep for the rest of operation if you want. I need you awake for the inital part, but after that, the computer will take over and I'll be just monitoring. ", Washu said.

Ryoko lay down the bed, which proved to be surprisingly soft. Washu moved a machine that looked like an oversized pincushion over Ryoko's head. Once it was positioned, Washu opened the link between them. Holding Ryoko's hand, she entered her daughter's mind and shut down Ryoko's voluntary muscles. Ryoko's heartrate jumped and she started rapidly breathing. Washu stayed within Ryoko's mind, comforting Ryoko with her prescence. Ami also spoke reassuringly, telling her not to be afraid. After a while, Ryoko calmed down enough that Washu could begin. She slowly inserted the probes one at a time, asking through the link if Ryoko was in pain. Washu had already mapped Ryoko's brain, but she wasn't taking any chances. Finally, all the probes were in, and the nanomachines could begin rebuilding the synaptic connections. Ryoko felt very strange as her brain was stimulated. Images, sensations, and emotions flashed through her mind.

"Are you okay, Ryoko?", Washu asked.

"It feels weird, but I'm fine. How long is this going to take?", Ryoko said.

"At the present rate, I project it'll take about 2 days. As the neural connections are rebuilt, your brain has to reintegrate that part of it. That's partially what your feeling, the synaptic connections being activated. If you want, I can put you to sleep now.", Washu answered.

Ryoko thought about it for a few minutes. Her head was beginning to feel like something was crawling inside of it. As the nerve endings were activated, her brain activity increased. Now she understood why Washu needed her immobilized. If she weren't paralyzed, Ryoko's whole body would have been jerking. As it was, she could feel a tingling at the base of her skull. It was becoming very uncomfortable and this was only the beginning.

"I think you'd better put me under. I don't think I can take much more of this.", Ryoko said. By now, she was starting to sweat.

Washu nodded and gave her a sedative. Ryoko soon fell asleep, her breathing and heartrate slowing down. Washu had Ami take over monitoring while she went to check on Aiko. Aiko was becoming more coordinated already, but was still a little clumsy. After working with her for several hours, Washu made Aiko take a shower while she fixed lunch for everyone. After lunch, Washu went back to monitoring while Ami took a nap. They would be taking turns throughout the operation, so it was important they both got some rest. Aiko was given some books to read, as well as some toys. Her reading skills were actually better than Ryoko's since Clay used her to keep track of things. While D3 had erased her memory of Tokimi and her realm, her core skills were undisturbed. As a result, when she copied Ryoko's memories, she also learned how to read Japanese. Since Ryoko didn't hardly read, Aiko hadn't been able to practice too much. She had sensed Ryoko's pride and realized offering to help her read would been rebuffed. Now that Ryoko was reading, Aiko was also finding how much fun it was to read. The books Washu gave her were for older children, but Washu judged Aiko able to read them. Aiko had Ryoko's intelligience and Washu was determined that this time nothing would interfere with her child's development.

After supper, Washu let Aiko watch some movies before sending her to bed. Aiko went without any protest, unlike Ryoko would have done at her age. Adorable as daughter had been, Ryoko had been a handful. Getting her to do something when she didn't want to had taxed even Washu's genius. Aiko was much better behaved, but Washu wasn't fooled for an instant. She had inherited Ryoko's stubborness and mischieviousness, but was a little more circumspect in showing it. What did differentiate her from Ryoko was her interest in dolls. Ryoko had been a pure tomboy and thought the only thing dolls were good for was target practice.

The next day was more of the same. The revised projection showed the process would be finished around supper time which suited Washu's purposes. Aiko was beginning to get a little cooped up and wanted to go out and play. Washu kept her busy with schoolwork and basic kata's. Even though Aiko possessed Ryoko's battle skills, her new body didn't. It would have to be trained from ground up, while allowing for its proper growth. Aiko could have hurt herself very easily if she attempted some Ryoko's more advanced techniques.

Finally, the computer signaled that the process was done. After removing the probes, Washu again entered Ryoko's mind. The lost memories were all there. First, she put in a block that would prevent Ryoko from remembering her abduction and subsequent torture except during her counseling session. Next she put in second filter. The happy memories would have overwhelmed Ryoko if she experienced them all at once. Washu simply made sure that the memories would come out a little at a time. Once she was finished, Washu let Ryoko sleep off the sedative while she opened up the lab. She retrieved all of the things she had been saving for this day, as well as all of the home movies. Noboyuki wasn't the only home movie freak in the family, she thought with a smile.

When Ryoko awoke, the first thing she saw was Washu hovering over her. She blinked several times as she looked at her mother. A strange sensation went through her. It was like a missing piece of herself had been found. For the first time ever, Ryoko KNEW that this was her MOTHER.

"Mommy?", she tentatively asked.

"Yes Little Ryoko, it's me.", Washu replied. Her heart leapt for joy as she saw the recognition she had waited so long for.

Ryoko hugged Washu, the simple knowledge that Washu had been her mother all along leaving her unable to think coherently. After a few minutes, Washu told Ryoko to take a bath and then join everyone for supper. Afterwards, she would see some of the things Washu had been saving. While Ryoko was bathing, Washu took Aiko to introduce her to the rest of the family.

Aiko ran ahead of Washu, and by time she caught up with her, Aiko had already told everyone that she was Ryoko. The family all began asking what happened. Everytime Washu tried to say that this wasn't Ryoko, Aiko would innocently say, " I am too Ryoko, Mommy. ", which would start a fresh round of questions. When Ryoko came out of the lab, everyone kept look at her and Aiko, totally confused. Washu finally was able to explain about Aiko. Ryoko winked at her sister, since she was the one who put her up to it. Washu glared at both of them, while they wore innocent expressions. Everyone else laughed at the little joke, and went to supper. After supper, Washu had everyone gather in the living room. She loaded a movie into the set, and faced the gathering.

"Ryoko, you told me that earliest memory you have is Kagato telling you were created in a machine. That was the first lie and the one that had longest and most profound effect. Even after his death, you've questioned your humanity. What I'm about to show you will lay to rest any doubt that you are a human being.", Washu spoke.

She turned on the television, and a collective gasp was heard. The scene was of a lab with Kagato and Yakage standing beside a bed with Washu laying on it. She was HUGE, and clearly in labor. As the movie progressed, Washu screamed as each of the contractions hit. With a look of disdain, Kagato told Washu to control herself. Without missing a beat, Washu lashed out with her fist as the next contraction hit and caught him right in the groin. Kagato's eyes crossed and glazed over, and a small "urk" was heard as he fell over. Yakage could be seen smiling slightly. A huge cheer was heard from everyone, and Ryoko had that moment replayed for 10 minutes. Eventually Washu gave birth to a baby, a baby with white hair and yellow cat eyes. There was no doubt in anyone's eyes that this baby was Ryoko. Ryoko just stared at the picture, After the infant had been cleaned and made to breathe on its own, Washu placed Ryoko in the capsule. At this point, the movie was stopped.

"And that, Ryoko, is the whole scene. Kagato only showed the end of the picture to reinforce his lie.", Washu said.

"So why was I put in that thing?", Ryoko asked.

"I did it to stabilize your energy output. An infant throwing around the energy you were capable of even then wasn't exactly conducive to anyone's health.", Washu replied.

"OOH!! What were Ryoko's measurements?", Misaki suddenly asked.

"She was 22 inches long, and 24 lbs 8 oz.", Washu grimaced.

"24 LBS??!!", both Misaki and Funaho screamed.

"Yep. I gained almost 100 pounds before she was born. I must have been asleep when I ran the projections. You wouldn't believe what my back felt like carrying her.", Washu said.

The two queens shuddered as they compared their pregnancies with Washu's. While being pregnant was nice, there were things about it that they preferred to forget. Misaki and Funaho looked at Washu with new respect, since her pregnancy was probably three times as worse. Neither of them even wanted to imagine the labor pains.

Washu then showed a picture of Ryoko sleeping in her crib. She looked so cute sucking her thumb, and a small stuffed animal was seen clutched tightly against her. The toy bore a close resemblance to Ryo-Ohki. While everyone was looking at the picture, Washu retrieved a battered, worn and frayed toy. Ryoko looked at it and her hand shook as she took it from her mother.

"Is that Ryoo-Oohki?", she asked.

"It is. You absolutely wouldn't go to sleep without it. It was your security blanket and playmate. You named her when you were just learning how to speak. Later, I used it as the basis for Ryo-Ohki's form. I've never got around to restoring her, but I can do it now if you like.", Washu replied.

Holding her toy close, Ryoko only nodded. She remembered the day Washu had introduced Ryo-Ohki to her. It was as if her beloved toy had come to life. Slowly, she handed it back to her mother, loathe to part with this tangible reminder of her childhood. Washu said the restoration would be finished before bedtime as she tossed it into a subspace hole. She then loaded another picture, one of Ryoko being fed while in a high chair. Everyone laughed at Ryoko's antics as Washu tried to get her to eat. Ryoko's face spoke volumes about what she thought it tasted like. The best part was Washu tasted it herself in an effort to convince Ryoko it was good. It is very embarassing to have an infant laughing at you while you tasting something yucky. (Think how Ayeka looked when she accidentally tasted Taro's baby food :0 )

After the laughter quieted down, a video of Washu and Ryoko in the pool was loaded. Washu was holding Ryoko while she kicked and paddled. The simple joy of mother and daughter playing was evident and soon everyone's eyes were wet. Once this video was finished, Washu shut off the player. She had noticed that Ryoko was getting tired. Being confronted with proof that she'd had a normal, happy life before the horror that she'd grown up with was almost too much for her to cope with. Washu reached into subspace and pulled out the restored toy. While Ryo-Ohki could have stayed with Ryoko, Washu sensed that it was better for Ryoko to have this instead that night. She told everyone that there was more, but for now Ryoko needed to rest.

Later that night, Ayeka woke up needing something to drink. As she headed back to bed, she had to stifle her laughter at what she saw. Ryoko was sucking her thumb and clutching Ryoo-Oohki just like she had as a baby. Knowing how surly Ryoko could be in the morning made it even more funny. After getting herself under control, Ayeka quietly removed Ryoko's thumb from her mouth. She did it mainly because she knew she'd never get back to sleep otherwise. The thought of Ryoko lying nearby like that was so hilarious. Also, a future princess of Jurai shouldn't be doing such a disgusting thing. A moment later, Ayeka realized the full importance of that thought. Ryoko was going to be a Jurain princess, with all that went with it. A wide smile formed on Ayeka face. Ryoko had let it be known more than once what she thought of the rules and rituals of royalty and now she was about to be hoisted on her own petard. Ayeka couldn't wait to see her friend's face when that little bomb was dropped. With that happy thought, Ayeka went back to sleep.

Morning went by uneventfully. Minagi, Kiyone, and Mihoshi had returned and met Aiko. The three of them had watched the videos while school was in session and then worked out with Misaki. After lunch, all of women had gathered for their daily fix of soaps. During the juicy parts, Washu covered Aiko's eyes, Ryoko covered Mayuka's, and Sasami covered Ryo-Ohki's. During the commercial break, Tenchi nearly made one of the biggest blunders of his life.

While waiting for the end of the commercial, he said, "Honestly, what is it with these dumb soaps anyway?"

Eleven heads snapped around in unison and twenty-two eyes bored into him. Mayuka didn't understand what going on, but she did understand Mommy was very mad. The temperature in the room dropped thirty degrees and Tenchi felt like a lead anvil was on top of him. Realizing discretion was the better part of valor, he started backing out of the room.

"I'll go give Grandpa a hand at the shrine.", Tenchi said quickly.

At this point, the soap came back on, and eleven heads swiveled back to the screen. Azusa was struggling to hold in his laughter. He had said almost the same thing when that episode was missed. The next thing he remembered was Misaki holding him against the wall, his whole body aching, while Funaho was playing with Tenchiken. They made it very clear to him what would happen next if they didn't get that episode. Azusa never forgot how dangerous a soap addict could be without their daily fix. Noboyuki was also smiling. Achika wasn't a soap fan, but heaven help the person who made her miss Katsuyo Kobayashi's cooking show. She had made it very clear to him when they were married that the television belonged to her during her show. Tenchi had received his first lesson about marriage, even though he hadn't tied the knot yet. You don't put down the wife's passion, even if you don't care for them yourself.

After supper, Ryoko received a rude awakening. While she would have preferred just a civil ceremony, she had resigned herself to having a Shinto ceremony out of respect for the rest of Tenchi's family. Ayeka had poured ice cold water on that idea with her assertion that they would have a royal wedding with all the pomp and circumstance.

"NO FUCKING WAY!!", Ryoko shrieked. "I'm not going to stand around for hours listening to some old farting windbag of a priest drone on until a stone would be bored to tears."

As much as Ryoko cared for Ayeka, some of Ayeka passions drove her up the wall. One of the biggest was Ayeka's love of weddings, the bigger and more formal, the better. Everytime Yosho performed a wedding, Ayeka would be right there acting as a shrine maiden. Ryoko shuddered as she remembered that wedding that had been broadcast from Jurai. Two of Jurai's nobility had been married with all the pomp and pageantry. Ayeka had watched it from beginning to end and Ryoko still swore she hadn't moved a muscle the entire time. Out of curiousity, Ryoko had watched a portion of it. She was completely bored in no time. Wanting a good fight, she told Ayeka she was going to play with Tenchi. To leave no doubt what kind of playing she had in mind, Ryoko said this while nude. Ayeka had merely said "Uh huh" and went on watching, completely oblivious. Digusted at the reaction, Ryoko had gone to the onsen to brood. Now Ayeka wanted her to actually participate in this madness!!

"Ryoko, in case you haven't figured it out, you will become a Princess of Jurai when you marry Tenchi. There are certain customs and traditions that must be respected.", Ayeka replied sweetly.

"Yeah, well you know exactly what you can do with those 'customs and traditions'. I won't be a part of it. I'll go to Jurai, but that's it.", Ryoko snarled.

"Actually Ryoko, you do have to be a part of it.", Washu said.

Ryoko looked at her mother in shock. She couldn't be serious. Washu's next statement quickly disabused her of that idea.

"It's past time you learned how act like a proper young lady. Ayeka is correct, you will become a Jurain princess. I will not have my daughter disgrace me in public.", she sternly spoke.

"Who said I'll appear in public? I'll just stay on Tsunami during the ceremony.", Ryoko replied.

"Sorry Ryoko, but Tenchi can't marry by proxy. You have to be there to exchange vows. Now cease this foolishness. I've always known my little girl was a princess and now everyone will know it too.", Washu said.

Ryoko couldn't believe it. Desperately, she started asking everyone else to support her. To her dismay, the rest of the family was apparently infected by this disease.

"Tenchi, please tell me you don't want to get married on Jurai.", Ryoko pleaded.

"I'm sorry Ryoko, but it is my duty. Besides, I want every one on Jurai to see that I love you.", Tenchi said.

"Mihoshi, Kiyone, surely you don't want to go some boring ceremony?"

"Yes we do. Both of us are liasons to the Royal Family so we have to be there as representives of the Galaxy Police. Besides, this is the chance of a lifetime. There's no way we're gonna miss out on this.", Kiyone answered while Mihoshi nodded fervently.

"Minagi, what about you?"

"Master taught me to respect and honor tradition. He would want me to attend and represent him.", Minagi replied. Even though she knew Yakage was her father, she always referred to him as "Master" out of respect. He had never called her his daughter, only his student.

"Aiko, you must have more sense."

"Are you kidding? I get to dress up and look real pretty. It'll be a lot of fun.", Aiko responded.

"Ryo-Ohki, I know you don't want to attend.", Ryoko said, confident that her soulmate would support her. Unfortunately, Sasami had gotten to her first. Ryo-Ohki replied through their link that she would be a flower girl. She would wear pretty clothes and be a princess like Sasami.

"Traitor.", Ryoko growled. Was the entire universe conspiring against her? She had to make a stand now. There was no way she was going down without a fight.

"Let me make things clear. I. AM. NOT. GOING!!!", she snapped.

Everyone was prepared for a long, protracted battle when Washu smiled. Ryoko looked suspiciously at her, wondering what her devious mother was up to. She was too confident, like Ryoko had already lost the battle before it was begun.

"You're absolutely certain that nothing will change your mind?", she asked.

"Nothing you say or do will make me put myself through that torture. I'll do a Shinto ceremony, even though it is still a little too much ceremony for my taste. However, compared to a Jurain Royal wedding, it's positively short. Threaten me all you want, Tsunami herself won't be able to budge me.", Ryoko stated, arms folded and jaw set.

"Then I guess you have no objection to making a wager.", Washu replied.

"What are you saying?", Ryoko asked, confused by Washu's tactics.

"You said nothing will change your mind. Therefore, you should have no problem accepting my wager. If you decline, that means you aren't as confident as you say. Of course, that throws your whole position out the window.", she said.

Ryoko was at a loss. How the hell had her words been used against her like that? If she accepted, then she was at Washu's mercy. If she declined, there went her whole argument. Realizing she had no choice, Ryoko acquiesed.

"Alright damn you! Name your wager.", she spit out, furious at having been tricked.

"You've seen many things that turned your stomach. Tomorrow, you and I will watch some programs that I discovered when I explored Earth culture. These shows are so vile and disgusting that even I can't stand them. We'll see who's stronger. If you win, you won't have to participate.", Washu spoke.

"And if I lose?", Ryoko asked, dreading the answer.

"You will not only be in the ceremony, but learn proper etiquette and courtesy. It will not kill you to be a proper young lady. When I was the Director of the Academy, I had to attend many functions and act accordingly, even in my child form. Now, I advise you to get some sleep. You're gonna need your strength, even though you'll lose anyway.", Washu smiled.

It was a good thing that Ryoko had been taught how to keep her thought from being broadcast. What she was thinking right now was not fit for even adults. She went upstairs and got ready for bed. As Tenchi and Ayeka joined her, they very wisely said nothing. Ryoko was looking for any excuse to blow up.

The next morning, she had a light breakfast and headed for the lab. Washu had setup a small theater and was already seated. Ryoko sat next to her and waited.

"Now here are the rules. There is a bathroom through that door over there. You can use it for no more than 5 minutes at a time. Any longer will be considered grounds for giving up. If you leave the theater at any time, you lose. If you manage to sit through all the videos, then I will repeat them until one of us has had enough. Of course, you can quit at any time.", Washu stated.

Ryoko braced herself as Washu started the video. She figured that whatever was coming couldn't be any worse than what she had witnessed in her long life. As the show started, to her absolute horror, she was wrong. What was onscreen was MUCH worse. Grimly, she set her jaw, determined she would win.

Around suppertime, Ryoko emerged. She was green around the gills and walked unsteadily. Washu came out a few minutes later, also green. Ryoko looked at everyone and tried to glare, but only was able to grimace.

"I'll be in the ceremony and act like a princess. Just don't rub it in. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to throw up again.", she said weakly.

Everyone looked on in amazement. Just what had she seen? What had Washu discovered on Earth that was so horrible? There was a mad dash to the theater to view the videos. The titles looked innocuous enough. "Smurfs", "Teletubbies", and something called "Barney the Dinosaur" were among the list. Curious, Ayeka moved to play a video.

"DON'T TOUCH THAT!!. Aiko, Ryo-Ohki, and Mayuka are in here and I don't want them to see what is on those tapes.", Ryoko screamed from the hall. It was bad enough to be forced to watch it once. The true horror of those programs was that they were aimed at children, who would want to watch it again and again, subjecting their parents to continual torture. Ryoko knew it would be months before she forgot those images and that horrid music and singing.

After the children were safely removed, Ayeka started the program. Within minutes, she was in complete agreement with Ryoko. A small sampling of the other shows killed everyone's appetite and soon there was more than one person feeling queasy. By general consensus, curiousity had been more than satisfied and there was no need to subject themselves to any more torture. Washu handed everyone a drink to help settle their guts. There was no sense in letting supper going to waste because no one had strength to eat it.

After supper, Washu told Ryoko that Funaho and Misaki would be teaching her Jurain etiquette. She would have done it herself, but Aiko and her had to leave on a trip. All Washu would say about this trip was that it was necessary for Aiko. They would be leaving on Ryo-Ohki in the morning and be gone for a while. While she was gone, Ryoko was expected to continue her schooling as well. After they returned, Aiko and Ryo-Ohki would begin lessons.

The next morning, Washu left with Aiko. She went to the Galactic Supermax, the prison where the most dangerous and highest security prisoners were kept. There was a specific person she was taking Aiko to see, her creator Dr. Clay. Aiko had to face him in order to put her past behind her. Clay's attempted murder had haunted Aiko from the beginning. To her, Clay was a monster that stalked her dreams. She needed to see him as he really was, powerless and impotent. That was why Washu didn't tell anyone else, it was too personal. Also, Washu was curious to see if Ol' Octopus Head had changed.

The prison adminstrators were reluctant to let Washu and Aiko see him. Clay had already tried to escape more than once, and was currently segregated from the prison population in lockdown status. Even after Washu explained who Aiko was and the reason for her visit, they almost weren't allowed to see him. After much pleading, they were taken to a visitor's booth and told to wait.

A few minutes later, Clay was brought out, shackles on hands and legs, and guarded by two officers, weapons locked and loaded. The security screen prevented any actual physical contact, which suited Washu perfectly. Aiko only had to see and hear him. Once Clay was seated, the guards moved back slightly, but still fully on guard.

"Are you here to torment me in person now, Washu?", Clay asked. He was wondering who the child was, but hid his curiousity behind a facade of arrogance.

"No, Octopus-Head, I'm simply here to let my daughter see what a pathetic loser you really are.", Washu coldly replied. She wasn't surprised at Clay's attitude, though she did think prison time would have deflated it a bit by now.

"I have no interest in what Ryoko thinks of me. I am curious however why she is in that form. Did one of your experiments backfire on you?", he asked smugly.

"Did I say this was Ryoko? This is Aiko, my newest child. You once called her Zero.", Washu coolly answered.

"ZERO!! It isn't enough that you stole my finest creation from me, now you're claiming ownership of it as well.", Clay said with some heat.

"HOW DARE YOU??!! Aiko is not a thing, she is a sentient being possessed of her own free will. Whatever parental claim you may have had, you forfeited it when you tried to murder her. You haven't changed at all, Clay. Instead of rejoicing at the miracle that happened, you considered her imperfect and tried to destroy her. I've formally adopted her yes, but in no way do I own her. She will be raised by me until she reaches adulthood. Aiko will attend school and have a normal life. In time, she will even fall in love, get married, and start her own family. Through it all, she will be valued as a person, not treated as a slave.", Washu spoke. She longed to wipe the floor with his ugly face, but managed to restrain herself.

Aiko had been looking at Clay during the conversation. Seeing him in person and listening to his overweening arrogance, she began to lose her fear of him. Her mother was right, he was a loser. He may have created her, but never again would she obey him. It had been a frightening experience at first, but thinking for herself and possessing her own identity was something she never wanted to lose.

"Why don't you stick your ugly puss where the sun don't shine, Octo-face.", Aiko piped in.

"Young lady, watch your mouth. It's bad enough I have to tolerate it from your older sister, but I don't want you picking up her bad habits.", Washu sternly told her. Granted, it was Clay that she was telling off, but she was much too young for such bad language. "Keep it up, and I'll put you over my knee and spank you.", she continued.

Aiko looked innocently at Washu, and pouted when her mother's expression didn't change. Washu told her to wait outside, she needed to say something to Clay and then they would be leaving. Once Aiko had left the room, Washu turned back to Clay.

"You realize that one day I will escape from here, Washu.", Clay spoke.

"Clay, I could care less what you do with yourself. BUT, I do care about my family. Twice, I've had my children stolen from me. NEVER AGAIN!! Come after me or my children, or anyone else I care for, and the universe will shudder at your fate. There are things FAR WORSE than death and you haven't seen what I'm truly capable of.", Washu said in a voice colder than space. In her eyes,Clay saw something he had never seen, a deep, otherworldly power. It stirred something within him, a feeling that he had seen it somewhere before. With a sick feeling, Clay knew that Washu was speaking the truth. His smug arrogance was replaced by fear. Without a backward glance, Washu left the room, leaving a very shaken Clay.

On the way home, Washu thought about Aiko's outburst. While she was pleased that Aiko wasn't afraid of Clay anymore, she was definitely in need of a lesson in good manners. Ryoko's bad habits were too deeply ingrained, but Aiko was still young. She could still be brought up the way Ryoko should have been. Washu sighed, thinking about the uphill battle ahead that teaching Ryoko etiquette and manners would be.

Upon arriving home, her prediction was spot on. Ryoko needed lessons from the ground up, and she was fighting every step of the way. Both Funaho and Misaki were grateful at Washu's arrival, and pleaded with her to make Ryoko stop fighting them. Ryoko for her part saw all these new rules as the end of her freedom to be herself. She thought she would be bound in a role that would suffocate her like it did Ayeka. A threat like this was intolerable. Washu told Ryoko that she could still be herself. If Ayeka could learn to be herself while still acting like a princess, then surely she could do the same. This statement had the desired effect. Ryoko's competitive spirit and pride wouldn't let her back down from a challenge like that. Squaring her shoulders, Ryoko told the Jurain Queens she was ready to try again.

Later that evening, Washu was sitting on porch looking at the moon. Hearing footsteps, she turned and saw that it was Noboyuki. He sat down next to her, unsure of how to say what was on his mind. It had been years since he had done this, and he was as nervous now as he had been back then. Finally, he decided on the direct approach, before he lost his nerve.

"Washu, I want you to marry me.", he said simply.

She looked at him, her face unreadable. Washu had long suspected Noboyuki's feelings towards her, so his proposal wasn't unexpected. The problem was she didn't how she felt. She admitted to herself that she did care for him, but her last marriage had left her deeply wounded. Washu didn't know if those wounds would ever heal, and couldn't accept the idea of marriage until they did.

"I'm sorry, but I can't accept.", she replied.

"Why?", he asked.

"It's not you, it's me. I've spent the last 20,000 years being a child, so that I would never have to face what happened. The only reason I went to being an adult is because I would otherwise lose my daughter. I really haven't had much of a chance to think about love, because of what happened to Ryoko. Now that things have settled down, I'm being forced by Ami to confront my past. My heart was torn to shreds by the loss of my son and husband. If they had died, I would have eventually come to terms with it. Instead, my husband just left me with our son because his family disapproved of my status. I was considered good enough to provide a heir for them, but I wasn't good enough to raise him. Back then, I didn't have the resources I have now, so it took me years to find them. By the time I did, it was too late. My son was calling someone else 'Mother', and whatever memory he had of me was dim and faded. I tried to hate the woman who was raising my son, but I couldn't. To my surprise, I was still in love with my husband, as much as I wished otherwise. When he saw me, we said everything with our eyes. I knew then that I would never be allowed to see them again. That day I swore that no man would desire me ever again. I couldn't bear the thought of having another child taken from me, so I became a child myself."

"I stayed like that for 15,000 years. Then I discovered the Masu, and what could be done with them. Here was the chance to create a child that was mine alone, one that could never be taken from me. I went on sabbatical and became an adult, so I could carry Ryoko to term. Of course what I was doing skirted the edge of quite a few ethical guidelines, if not outright broke them. I really didn't care, so focused was I on having another child. Looking back, I should have noticed even then Kagato's interest in what I was attempting."

"You are a good and decent man, and I do have some feelings towards you. It's just that I can't go through that again. I want to thank you for giving us a home. You could have easily thrown Ryoko out, despite Tenchi's invitation. Also, you are the closest she has ever had to a father.", Washu said quietly.

"But Washu, I'm just a perverted hentai who likes to peep in the women's bath. How can I be a father to her?", he asked.

"You were there for your son when he needed you. Ryoko has seen the very depths of depravity, things that makes your peeping seem saintly. However, since we are on the subject...", Washu stated. POOWWW!! Noboyuki went flying as Washu delivered a rock hard fist to the jaw.

"THAT'S for all the times you tried to peep on her. Ryoko may not have minded, but she is still my daughter.", she said as he came to.

"The next time you want to peep at someone, why don't you try ... me?", she then said. Noboyuki carefully opened his eyes. Washu was bent over him, wearing a great big smile ... and nothing else. He fainted away, nose bleeding.

"YESS!!! 20,000 years old and two kids, and I've still got the touch. OOPS, it looks like he needs medical attention. DR. WASHU TO THE RESCUE!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!", she cackled insanely as she changed into a surgical gown and mask. Washu easily picked him up and carried him to the lab. For most of the night, very strange sounds heard were from the main part and later from Washu's room. The next morning, all Noboyuki would say he never felt better. As for Washu, she had a very satisfied smirk on her face. Needless to say, everyone had their own ideas as to what went on in there.

The weddings had been scheduled to take place just before the start of the new school year in the spring. It was decided to have the Jurain wedding first, since the Shinto ceremony could then be scheduled for a weekend date. During the months leading up to departure date, the entire household was in a frenzy with preparations. Ryoko slowly learned how to act like a princess and she hated every second of it. Her disposition soured even more as she watched Aiko and Ryo-Ohki actually enjoying themselves during their lessons. Minagi already knew proper etiquette, since Yakage had told her that a warrior had to be prepared for any situation.

The departure date arrived and everyone packed for the trip. Tenchi's family had been told about his status, and eventually accepted his desire to marry both Ryoko and Ayeka. They would be attending the wedding on Jurai as honored guests. While the family was gone, the house would be guarded by Washu's upgraded security 'bots. There would be no more break-ins of their home she swore to herself. Anyone trying to steal things or lay bugs was in for a very unpleasant surprise.

During the trip, Ryoko was made to wear appropriate apparel for the Jurain Court. The wedding outfits had already been fitted, this was regular day wear. Even this was too constricting for her taste. Now she understood the reason for walking like she had been taught. The damn robes didn't allow for any other type of movement. She had been strictly forbidden by Washu from floating, since that constituted cheating on their bet, so Ryoko was in a foul mood by the time they landed. She wanted to get through the introduction to the Court and just hide in her room until the wedding day. A stern warning from Washu dashed that hope. Ryoko was going to be visible throughout their stay on Jurai.

Ryoko honestly didn't know how she managed to make it that first day without blowing up. The actual wedding would take place on the third day, while the second day would be spent unwinding from the trip. There were a few pre-wedding rituals that she would have to participate in, including a purification bath and some sort of meditation period. Misaki had said she would show Ryoko it was possible to have a good time later on. The introduction to the general populace went much easier than Ryoko thought it would. Both Funaho and Misaki had spent considerable effort getting the word out that this was not the monster that had attacked Jurai. The broadcast of the trial had also done much to change everyone's view. While their reaction was by no means enthusiatic, neither was it overtly hostile.

The Jurain Court was a different matter. The nobles looked upon her as they had Funaho, as someone beneath them. They tried to trip her up at every opportunity, so they could say she was just an boorish lout with no manners. Instead they managed to do what everyone else couldn't, get Ryoko to act like a princess. Their snobbish airs and condenscending attitude pricked her pride like nothing else. Rather than give them the satisfaction, she not only avoided their traps, but proceeded to show them up. Her greetings were correctly phrased, gestures and movements precise, and all other etiquette perfect. To top it off, she then proceeded to berate the more obvious ones for their bad manners using the highest court language. The look on their faces made all the aggravation of having to learn those damn lessons worth it.

The next morning, Ryoko was asked to help test some candidates for the Imperial Bodyguard. She was to fight against a guard while the candidates watched and then fight the each of the candidates. Unlike the training ground back home, they would be fighting on a slightly raised platform surrounded by the rest of the Guards and other spectators. The guard chosen to face off against was a familiar face, Ibara. He had always known that he would be the last Guardian. The Tree had forseen this much, and had tried to prepare him for it. After the Tree's death, he had wandered the galaxy for a time before visiting Jurai. Before he knew what hit him, Misaki had "persuaded" him to join the Guards. When asked what convinced him, he muttered something about being unable to breathe in such an overpowering prescence.

Ryoko faced him with a practice sword while Ibara stood ready with his staff. She was about to attack when Washu sent a mental call that brought her up short.

"Ryoko, I want you to lose against Ibara until I give the word.", Washu said.

"What the hell do you want me to do that for? I can win fairly againt him.", Ryoko asked.

"Take a look at Misaki, and you'll understand. Talk about the lambs going willingly to the slaughterhouse.", Washu snickered.

Ryoko looked over and saw Misaki taking bets from the candidates and spectators. Conspicuously absent from the line of bettors were all of the veteran guards. Concentrating hard, she listened to the odds being given. She couldn't believe her ears as she heard the odds rising AGAINST her. Before she could ask, Washu explained the plan.

"Misaki's put the word out that without your gems, you've only got normal speed and strength. By betting on you to win, she figures she can clean house. There's a logical reason for this charade. Chronic gamblers are a security risk. By testing them like this, she can find the problem early on. Also, she can teach them a lesson about betting on a 'sure thing'.", Washu said.

Ryoko narrowed her eyes. While she understood what Misaki was up to, she didn't like being used in a con job without prior knowledge. It was the principle of the thing, though she admitted that the size of the pot was also worth noting.

"You tell that sticky-fingered witch that I want half the money, or else I throw the fight completely.", she told Washu.

Ryoko watched Washu whisper to Misaki her demand. Misaki's eyes flickered for the barest fraction of a second, the only clue to her shock. She swallowed and gave a slight nod. Ibara gave Ryoko a slight grin. He had been told beforehand of the plan, and judging from Misaki's reaction, Ryoko had evidently extracted a heavy price for her cooperation.

Bowing to each other, they began the match. Ryoko and Ibara both held back, appearing evenly matched. Then she left herself open, and Ibara promptly swept her legs out from under her. As she got back up, Washu told her not yet. They continued, and then Ibara deliberately left himself open. She only knocked him down, and looked at the audience. The worried faces told her just how high the odds were getting. The match continued in this manner, with Ibara appearing to gain the upper hand. Then Washu gave the word, and Ryoko cut loose. She smiled at him, giving Ibara fair warning that the charade was over. Then she attacked with her true speed and strength. Ibara fought against her and managed a couple of hits, a testament to his skill, but in the end he went down. In a flash, Ryoko had her blade at his throat, while she kicked his staff out of reach. As he yielded, the groans from the audience were music to her ears.

After Misaki grudgingly handed over the money, Ryoko had it given to charity. Of course, Misaki had already given her share to charity. She just hated having the tables turned on her like that. Ryoko then faced off against each of the much chastened candidates. All of them went down in a flash.

Later that day, Ryoko paid her respects to the Nameless Tree. After its death, Tsunami stated that though it had to be exiled in life, she would not allow her child to be alone in death. The Tree had been gently uprooted and transported to Jurai, where it was reverently laid to rest in the Royal Tree Nursery. A small plaque told its story to all visitors. As she rested against the trunk, she remembered how the Tree had awoken her spirit and shown her future. Ryoko grieved at its senseless death once more.

That night, Misaki told Ryoko and Ayeka to throw on something casual and wear hooded cloaks. She was going to take them on a litte bachelorette party. Leaving Mayuka with Washu, they followed Misaki out of the palace, dodging security easily. Once clear of the palace, Misaki stopped for a moment.

"I must tell you two that where we're going isn't exactly known for being clean. It's downright rough and nasty.", Misaki spoke.

"Misaki, I've been to places in which the cockroaches had to have their blood tested, those that didn't outright snub it. It may be nasty by Jurain standards, but to me, it'll probably be a walk in the park.", Ryoko snorted.

"I realize that, but Ayeka has basically lived a sheltered life, and it's past time she grew up. Besides, she needs to see with her own eyes what life is like outside the palace.", Misaki continued.

She led them down to the spacedocks, and into one of her favorite bars. The bartender recognized her immediately, and mixed her regular drink. Misaki then ordered sake for Ryoko and Ayeka. Ryoko's hand shook as Misaki handed her the cup. This wasn't the non-alcoholic stuff she normally drank now, but some of the highest quality.

"Misaki, you know I don't drink anymore. I'm scared to death that I'll lose the next battle with the bottle.", Ryoko pleaded.

"Ryoko, some of the functions you'll have to attend have so much booze at them that you can get drunk just by breathing. I am well aware of your problem, but I believe you are strong enough that you can control your desire now. I'll be watching you, so go ahead and enjoy your drink.", Misaki ordered.

Misaki watched Ryoko as she sipped her drink. She had a proposal for her, but had to know for certain Ryoko had conquered her drinking. Her emotional problems that had led to such excessive drinking had been largely healed, and her spirit was much stronger now. Misaki now wanted to see if Ryoko could confront her fear of the bottle.

Ryoko experienced a familiar craving as she drank. It felt so good to be drinking the real thing again. She reached for the bottle as she finished her drink and then stopped. She was doing it already, letting the desire control her. Shuddering, Ryoko pulled her hand away. She wasn't going down that path anymore. If she drank, it was because SHE wanted a drink, not her cravings. Ryoko breathed slowly and deeply, until she was certain she was in control.

Misaki smiled as Ryoko passed the test. Ryoko had indeed mastered herself. She was ready for Misaki had to offer.

"Ryoko, have you given any thought what you plan to do with your life.", Misaki asked.

"I'll just stay on Earth. My life before has been pure misery and hell. I'm perfectly happy at the thought of being a housewife and raising my daughter. Later on, I hope to have my own child with Tenchi.", she replied.

"You do realize that one day Tenchi will take the throne and you'll have to come to Jurai as one of its Queens. What will you do then? Also, children do eventually grow up. You can't count on having them around all the time.", Misaki stated.

For a long moment, Ryoko had no answer. Her only goal in life had been to marry Tenchi. Now that she achieved it, she had been content to drift along.

"Tell me then what the hell I am supposed to do? Living on the run as a wanted criminal doesn't exactly teach you job skills. I can remember wanting to be a scientist like Washu, or maybe a singer or actress. Any childhood dreams I had are gone now. Kagato destroyed whatever ambitions I had and left my soul almost dead.", she replied bitterly.

"Actually, I do have something for you to do. You already possess many of the needed skills and right attitude. As for the rest, there's plenty of time to teach you what you lack.", Misaki said with a smile.

Ryoko looked at her, puzzled. She wondered what Misaki had in mind. Kiyone had already tried to recruit her for the Galaxy Police. Ryoko refused, saying she never wanted to be forced to take orders again. Washu had also asked what path she was going to follow. It had led to a bitter argument when Ryoko made it clear she didn't want to pursue any kind of career or ambition.

"I want you to become my second-in-command, and when I die, the Head of the Imperial Bodyguard.", Misaki spoke.

Ryoko couldn't believe it. Surely there had to be other Jurains who could do the job. Why the hell was Misaki offering the job to her?

"I'm doing this for you and Jurai. You can't keep drifting like you've been, you have to have some purpose. As much as I love children, I'll admit I was glad when they grew up. You may not believe it now, but you will later. "

"From the very beginning almost, you've been guarding the next generation of the Jurai Royal Family. How many times have you risked your life to protect Ayeka and Sasami and Tenchi? Why do you think we never sent any of the Imperial Guards to Earth? You've been doing the job quite admirably by yourself, that's why. I'm just making official. The reason I'm not offering it to another Jurain is because Jurai must change. Look at how Funaho was treated. If we keep being so insular, it will only lead to our downfall. Azusa, for all his faults, understands this. That's why he made Funaho his first wife. By bringing you into the Imperial Guards, you can help bring a fresh breeze into some stale and moldy minds of the Jurain Court.", Misaki continued.

Ryoko didn't know what to say. Here was a golden opportunity, the kind that only came once in a lifetime. She asked herself if she truly wanted to do this. Realizing that Misaki was right, it was what she had been doing anyway, Ryoko accepted.

"Excellent. Tomorrow morning, I'll swear you in. Your full training can wait until you get settled into married life. As for Ayeka, she's already chosen to be Funaho's successor. Now that's settled, let's have another drink to celebrate.", Misaki said happily. She had been certain she could persuade Ryoko to accept.

As Misaki was pouring the drinks, Ryoko smelled a foul odor that belonged to a lowlife scum she thought someone had taken care of by now. Casually glancing around the bar, she spotted one of the most notorious slavers in the galaxy. Masako Ando, ugly face and unwashed body, was seated in a corner, talking to what looked like a young noble. Looking further, she marked several men that had to belong to him. There were probably more outside. Wondering how Jurai's police had missed him, she quietly notified Misaki.

Misaki's eyes narrowed as she spotted him. The noble with him was Suichi Amaki, a scion of one of the more powerful Houses, who had been disowned publicly for disgracing the family name. He had become a member of the Pirate's Guild and had risen to some prominence. There had been reports of Jurains disappearing with no trace. It looked like the answer had appeared before them. She told Ayeka and Ryoko to keep an eye on them, she needed to talk to the bartender.

The old bartender confirmed her suspicions. Ando had been on Jurai about the same time people started disappearing. Some of Misaki's friends were among the missing, including his granddaughter. Several prominent nobles had disappeared as well, people who had been political enemies of Suichi's before his disgrace.

Realizing that some backup would be needed, Misaki sent a call back to the palace. The Guards would arrive shortly, but in the meantime, there were heads that needed knocking. She was grinning from ear to ear by the time she rejoined Ryoko and Ayeka. Finally, she was going get some action.

"Alright you two, while we're waiting for the Guards, I don't see why we can't have some fun.", Misaki said.

"Wait a minute. How do they know where we are? We evaded everyone.", Ayeka asked.

"Ayeka, do you really think that I'd do something like this without some means of checking in? Or Funaho couldn't find me in a real emergency? This is simply a game that we play to keep our skills sharp. I sneak past everyone and Funaho tries to catch me. Sometimes I win and sometimes she wins.", Misaki replied.

"And what about that little 'talk' Funaho gave you back on Earth?", Ryoko grinned.

"So I got carried away a bit. Earth is a nice place, but you gotta admit peace and quiet is downright boring at times.", Misaki shrugged.

The bartender had seen Misaki's grin and immediately left. He knew what was coming and his nerves really couldn't take that much excitement anymore. The more rowdy regulars had also seen Misaki and were grinning as well. A good old fashioned donnybrook was about to happen and they really didn't care who they fought, they just wanted a fight.

Before Misaki could start in, Ryoko stopped her. She said that since Misaki had started a fight on Earth, it was only fair that she be allowed to start the festivities on Jurai. Besides, the surprise Ando would have at seeing Misaki would be nothing compared to the terror he'd feel when he saw her. Along with a clear message not to bother her on Earth anymore, Ryoko had made it known to the underworld what she thought of people like Ando. Misaki was a little unhappy, but had to admit Ryoko had a point. She was a guest and good manners decreed guests should be allowed to go first. There were enough heads for everyone anyway, so there was no point in being greedy.

Ryoko sauntered over to two criminals, keeping to the shadows. She moved in a non-threatening manner, so as not to spook them.The men, intent upon their discussion, paid no attention to her. A slow smile that matched Misaki's played across her lips. Misaki was right, there were places where she could have a good time.

"Well, well, I've found something that stinks worse than some of the nobles of the Jurain Court.", Ryoko spoke, her voice ice cold.

Masako Ando practically jumped out of his skin as he shrieked with terror. There before him stood the person who he had never wanted to run into again. Eyes glowing red, Ryoko looked just as she had during her attack over 700 years ago. Suichi hadn't been born then, but he vividly remembered the tales of how she wreaked havoc back then. She was supposed to have changed, yet here was the monster once more. Paralyzed with fear, Suichi just stayed where he was and prayed Ryoko wouldn't notice him.

Ando, meanwhile, was trying get away from Ryoko. Not paying attention to his surroundings, he ran into a regular patron and crashed into his chair, spilling booze everywhere. Fury vied with horror on the patron's face as he grabbed Ando's tunic. The regulars could care less if someone got pounded into a pulp, but spilling booze like that was an unforgivable offense. Ando didn't even have time to apologize before he was hit with a sledgehammer fist. He staggered a few steps before collapsing onto an empty table.

Seeing their boss in trouble, his men tried to rescue him. The nearest person almost made it before he too was clobbered by the enraged patron. Several of Ando's men jumped his attacker, and they all fell en masse onto yet another table, spilling more drinks and angering more people. Soon, the entire barroom was in an uproar.

Suichi had regained control of himself and was trying to sneak out when he felt a hand with a vise-like grip on his shoulder. He looked back and quailed at the sight of Misaki. She was grinning like a cat that had just cornered a mouse. His blubbering and pleading for mercy only pissed her off even more. Disgusted with his actions, Misaki delivered a clotheline that flipped him off his feet. He went down, out for the count.

One of Suichi's men managed to draw a pistol and was aiming for Misaki when his weapon was crushed along with his hand by another of Misaki's friends. He screamed in agony before being thrown out the door. Drawing a weapon during a brawl was a definite breach of conduct and the perpetrator deserved everything he got. Misaki shot a grin his way and tossed another hapless victim out the window.

During the fight, Ayeka had been quietly nursing her drink. She was apalled at her mother's and Ryoko's eagerness to start a tavern brawl. Granted, her fights with Ryoko had degenerated more than once into a brawl, but those had been private fights. Fighting in a bar like a commoner was beyond the pale of bad taste. Brooding, she didn't notice one of Ando's men charging another patron behind her. The intended target moved aside and the man crashed into Ayeka, knocking her face first into the table and sending her drink flying. Screeching in rage, she went after him with blood in her eyes. Before he knew what happened, he had been hit no less than fifteen times and slammed through the wall, leaving a new exit. Misaki and Ryoko nodded to each other. There was still hope for Ayeka yet. Funaho hadn't managed to corrupt her completely.

Approximately 10 minutes later, Funaho showed up with the Guards. Her wayward sister and her charges had already given her the slip by then, so Masako and Suichi were left to bear the brunt of Funaho's rage. Wanting the two criminals quickly dealt with so she could search for the three revelers, Funaho demanded they tell where they were keeping the missing people. Otherwise, she would them toss both into jail while telling everyone their identities. Since there were very few places where Masako didn't have a bounty on his head, attached to his body or not, he quickly started talking. Thankfully, the captives hadn't been sent offworld, so they were freed in short order.

Reports soon reached Funaho of other fights happening on the docks, until a full scale riot was on. Again, the instigators were mysteriously gone by the time the police arrived and no one knew where they went. Funaho threw her hands up in disgust, knowing that Misaki wasn't going to be found. She went back to the palace and waited, madder than a wet hen. About 2 hours later, the three showed up at the palace singing at the top of their voices. The song was one Ryoko had picked up, and was so bawdy and ribald that even Misaki blushed when Ryoko taught it to them. Funaho silently raged as they approached. Her careful grooming of Ayeka into a lady worthy to be a wife to her son originally, and now her great-grandson, was being corrupted by her blasted sister. Finally, as the song reached the punch line, she cut loose with all of her fury.

"ENOUGH ALREADY!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF HOW MUCH TROUBLE YOU'VE CAUSED TONIGHT?!?!", she screamed.

"Ah, c'mon sis, don't get yourself wound up over nothing. Have a drink.", Misaki said, slightly tipsy as she offered a bottle.

Ryoko and Ayeka, also swaying as they held onto Misaki, both gave belches that echoed off the walls. They grinned and started laughing. Misaki then let out one that topped theirs, so of course, they had to outdo her. Soon all three were gasping from trying to belch and laugh at the same time. Washu and Azusa came outside then and helped Funaho herd the three inside. After much prodding and a healthy dose of Washu's Sobering and Hangover Remedy, Ryoko and Ayeka went to bed. Tenchi was sleeping alone in another room, obeying Jurain pre-wedding customs. He'd already been given a bachelor party by Noboyuki and Yosho.

Putting Misaki to bed was even more fun. She kept insisting she wasn't tired and wanted to play some more. Funaho and Azusa were ready to strangle her by the time the booze finally caught up to her. After she had fallen asleep, everyone let out a huge sigh of relief. Washu was about to leave and let the two Royals go to bed, when Misaki started snoring loud enough to rattle the windows. A vein was throbbing in stark relief against Funaho's forehead before Washu could silence Misaki.

Washu then went to her own room where Noboyuki was waiting for her. Their night of passion had shook them as the walls they had built around their hearts vanished and left them open and vulnerable. The morning after, while publicly coy, privately they sought to put some distance between them. Still, the genie had been let out of the bottle, and soon they were sleeping together occasionally. Mostly they just held each other, enjoying the other's company. Neither broached the subject of marriage, instead they were content to take things one day at a time. Sex between them had a playful air. Washu assured Noboyuki that she wouldn't get pregnant, since she had achieved completely control over her body, including stopping any ovulation or menustration. Each of them had been alone far too long and didn't want to destroy this new chance at love.

The next morning's weather was perfect for a wedding. A light breeze matched the mild temperature and low humidity, while the sky was clear with only a few clouds. Ryoko didn't mind the bath, but the meditation period was something downright boring. She had tried meditating any number of times over the years since her release, but could never attain the necessary state of mind. Thankfully, it was only a short period, but then the real torture began, the wedding itself. First, attendants helped them put on the wedding outfits. By the time all the gear was put on, Ryoko swore she hadn't been dressed but cocooned. Ayeka was already in raptures and sounded positively giddy. It promised to be a day as horrible as Ryoko feared it would be.

They walked to the main altar, past the cameras and reporters, and postioned themselves in front of Tenchi. Washu and Misaki stood next to their daughters, while Noboyuki stood next to Tenchi. Once everyone was set, the old priest began with a sermon, a VERY LOOONG, BOORING SERMON !! Centuries later, Ryoko would still swear that the old fart didn't breathe once. To make matters worse, the audience was seated, but they had to remain standing. Ayeka looked like she was doting on every single word. After the first five minutes, she felt her eyes glaze over and was falling asleep, when Washu jabbed her in the ribs. The next time she started to nod off, Ayeka jabbed her. This continued throughout the sermon, with Washu and Ayeka both jabbing her together at one point.

"Stop snoring Ryoko!! I told you that I wouldn't have my daughter disgrace me in public and I meant it. Now stay awake.", Washu hissed.

"I was not snoring, Mom!!", Ryoko whispered back.

"Oh, then I suppose that was someone sawing wood just now.", Ayeka said under her breath.

After what must have almost three hours by her judgement, the sermon ended. The priest then began ANOTHER sermon, this one on marriage itself and what it meant. Ryoko jaw was clenched so hard she could have ground steel into dust. Just as she was about to scream, the windbag started asking for their vows of marriage. Ryoko wanted to shout or cry or anything that this horror she had been forced into was almost over. Instead, Washu made her stand demurely, and give her vows in a tone befitting a proper young lady. Ayeka was so enraptured that Ryoko seriously wondered if she was aware at all of her surroundings, but Ayeka managed to give the proper response. At long last, the priest invoked Tsunami's blessing and declared them husband and wives. When Tenchi kissed Ayeka, she had such a look of absolute bliss that Ryoko could only shake her head in disgust. Yes, she was happy that she was finally married to Tenchi, but at least she wasn't acting like a blooming idiot. Her mood lightened after Tenchi kissed her next.

In the audience, the moment was bittersweet for Mihoshi. Unlike Kiyone and Sasami, who saw Tenchi as a brother, she had been truly in love with Tenchi. He had treated her with kindness at a time in her life when she needed a friend. At first she thought she had a chance at marrying Tenchi, but it became increasingly clear over the years that he would only love her as a friend. Tenchi's marriage proposal had irrevocably confirmed this. Kiyone had forseen this and taken steps. While she was a stickler for following procedures, she also knew there were times where your partner came first and to hell with the rulebook. Once on Yukinojo, Kiyone took Mihoshi aside and the two got totally plastered. It took that much alcohol before Mihoshi was able to let the pain out and cry. Minagi had been taken along in case any real trouble happened.

Of course, what they were doing was totally against regulations. Normally, the security system would have recorded this and Yukinojo would have to report it. Washu, however, had made a few changes that the Galaxy Police didn't know about and never would. After the death of Mihoshi's nanny, Washu had modified the backup system that had overriden Yukinojo's actions. Now Yukinojo's decisions could not be overriden by the other computers. Furthermore, he could erase these moments from the record. If he was incapacitated, the backup would kick in, but it would still be unable to report his going against regulations. Washu had done this because she judged Yukinojo was mature now and didn't need a watchdog. He had made a moral decision, one that went against his programming, but was the correct one based upon his experience. Kiyone had been let in on the secret, and agreed with Washu's judgement.

Ryoko could not wait to get the hell out of there, but she had to walk at that maddeningly slow pace and maintain that blasted demure attitude. Once in the waiting carriage, she dropped back into her usual self. Now all she had to do was get past the reception and then she could go to bed. There was one item that had to be taken care of first.

"Ayeka, remember that night where we tried to sneak into Tenchi's room and both ended up in the lake?", Ryoko asked.

"Don't remind me. That was definitely one of my more embarassing moments.", Ayeka replied.

"I told you then that you could have Tenchi first. Well, that offer still stands. Think of this as my wedding gift to you.", Ryoko said.

"You don't mean ... ", Ayeka breathed.

"Yep, tonight Tenchi is all yours. Try not to wear him out too much.", Ryoko grinned.

At the reception, Ryoko had to put up with more cameras and reporters. She was seriously thinking of shoving the microphones being waved at her face down their owner's throat or up into an even more painful place. Funaho rescued the unsuspecting reporters from imminent and excruciating pain by telling Ryoko that Mayuka was tired and needed to be put to bed. After Ryoko had managed to get Mayuka to sleep, she saw Misaki talking to Tenchi and Ayeka just outside their room.

"Alright you two, let's get one thing straight. I fully expect neither of you to get any sleep tonight. It's just as well Ryoko left you alone, because I would have insisted on it anyway. Now get in there and get busy, because I WANT GRANDCHILDREN!!. I've had to wait seven centuries, and I'm not going to wait much longer. I want to be a grandmother before this old body croaks.", Misaki glowered.

Ayeka's face went beet red. Her mother was barely in the prime of her life, and here she was already complaining that she was getting old. Yes, she wanted a baby and hoped to conceive tonight, but honestly, to be ordered around like that was embarrassing. Tenchi was red-faced and wanted to crawl under the blankets and hide. Ryoko for her part was struggling to keep a straight face. She barely made into her own room before she collapsed onto the bed, gasping for breath as she laughed. It was a moment she would always treasure. The look on their faces as they were ordered to make Misaki a grandmother was priceless. Ryoko managed to keep her thoughts coherent enough to show Washu, before she started laughing again.

Ayeka and Tenchi, once they got over the emarassment, obeyed Misaki's order since it was they planned to do anyway. Sometime later, Ryoko was returning from checking on Mayuka and paused outside their door. A squeal followed by giggling could be heard inside. Hung on the doorknob was a "Do Not Disturb" sign, on which Ayeka had written "THIS MEANS YOU, MOTHER!!". Ryoko thought of hanging around, but decided against it. This was Ayeka's and Tenchi's night and she had no right to interfere. Besides, Ryoko knew she'd be able to get all the details in the morning. Listening some more, Ryoko amended that thought. By the sounds of it, neither one of them would be seen until the afternoon at the earliest. Shaking her head, Ryoko went back to bed with Minagi. She had thought of trying to sleep alone that night, but didn't feel she was ready to attempt it.

Late the next afternoon, Ayeka and Tenchi finally emerged from their room. Tenchi had a goofy grin plastered on his face, while Ayeka wore a satisfied smirk. When Ryoko commented that she looked like a cat that had gotten into the creamery, Ayeka merely went "MEOW!!!" and went back to eating. Sasami looked at her sister connivingly, thinking on how to get the details of what went on there. Ryoko and Ayeka both got very nervous at the gleam in Sasami's eye. They remembered what she would look like when she grew up, and already she was noticing boys. Ryoko reminded herself to look in at her school and see just what she was doing. Sasami had inherited her mother's charm and mischievous personality. Combined with her blossoming figure and ravishing beauty, the boys at school didn't stand a chance. Misaki also noticed her younger daughter's expression. An impish smile played across her lips as she thought of how to make Azusa realize his other daughter was growing up.

"Sasami, have you been able make a lot of friends on Earth?", she asked innocently.

"Yeah, I've made friends with most of my classmates. We do different things, like attend various after-school clubs or goto the mall.", Sasami replied.

Watching Azusa, Misaki then asked,"And what about the boys? How do they treat you?"

"I must have been asked for a date by every single guy in school. My locker is always stuffed with love letters no matter how times I clean it out. Most of the boys are ok, but some are real jerks and others are absolute hunks, not to mention great kissers", she said dreamily.

CRRAASHH!! Azusa's chair flipped backwards as he fainted. He still thought of Sasami as an 8 year old, and here she was talking about ... dating ... and ... KISSING ... BOYS!!

Misaki's face narrowed as she considered what Sasami had said. She was growing up a little too fast and needed a few reminders. Misaki sighed as she remembered what she was like at Sasami's age. Even though her marriage had already been arranged, she still liked window shopping. She and Funaho had fantasized about different actors on their soaps and drooled over their favorites. Sasami was clearly at that stage now, but with no impending marriage, she could play the field. It was time for "The Talk", before she did something stupid. Ryoko would make a perfect chaperone, since she could watch without being seen. A quick kiss was fine, but anything more or hands moving where they didn't belong, and there would be HELL to pay.

Meanwhile, Ryoko and Ayeka were giving thanks to the gods that Tenchi was off the market. A few more years, and Sasami would have snatched him up. Now Tenchi was safely out of reach of her grasp.

Azusa woke up a few minutes later, moaning that his little girl was gone. Misaki calmed him by saying anyone who wanted to date Sasami would have to meet with his approval. He brightened at the thought of being able to torture the young nobles. Yosho could deal with the boys on Earth. Sasami threw her mother a very nasty look as she realized she should've kept quiet about her entourage. She was the most popular girl in school, and could wrap any boy around her finger. Now it looked like her fun was going to be seriously crimped.

The next day they headed back to Earth. The new school year would be starting, and Misaki wanted to be able to enjoy one more shopping trip. The Royals would stay just long enough for the Shinto ceremony and then head home. On the way, Ryoko made it VERY CLEAR that the ceremony would not be a full-blown formal affair, but simple and SHORT!! She emphasized this by saying she would make everyone's lives a living hell for the next century if they tried to make her do it.

Once back on Earth, Washu created a false identity for Tenchi. It was needed for legal purposes, since he couldn't marry both girls in Japan. Ayeka had agreed to use the fake name, in part to placate Ryoko for putting her through the Jurain wedding. Also, Ryoko's heart would always be on Earth. She would never feel truly at home on Jurai. Ayeka, for her part, had realized her heart was on Jurai. Earth had merely been a place where she could find herself and renew her soul. She loved the home, but Earth was still a backwater planet and Ayeka had never been able to accept it like Ryoko had.

The identity Washu created was perfect down to the last detail. She had reviewed Yosho's name changes and muttered something about rank amateurs. Anyone attempting to penetrate the hoax would end up chasing their own tail. When complimented on the quality, she said this was child's play. While still a student, she had hacked into Clay's files and assumed his identity. Washu then graded his student's work without his knowledge. She did this because Clay would play favorites and give grades accordingly. Washu would let him grade his students, and then go behind his back and regrade. Her grades were what the students would receive, and of course, Clay was flabbergasted that his favorites were getting unflattering grade scores. When he checked his files, he could find no trace of Washu's hacking. Every encryption or firewall setup failed miserably. Washu said that she loved watching the idiot trying to find out who kept getting into his files.

The day of the wedding arrived. The brides wore white silk kimonos with a white obi and tassels. Tenchi's robes were white, black, and grey with tassels. The outfits, while not as fancy as the Jurain robes, were still expensive and had to be treated with care. Ryoko and Ayeka sat on the stools watching everyone drink their tea and eating cakes. After Yosho spoke a few words, they all proceeded to the shrine itself. The entire room was decorated with red and white, and traditional music was being played. First Yosho gave another small speech, then Noboyuki and Washu, Ryoko having no father, spoke together while turning a palm leaf in a ritualistic fashion. Tenchi, Ryoko, and Ayeka then exchanged vows.

At this point, Sasami and Minagi, acting as shrine maidens, came in wearing crowns festooned with 'jewels' and flowers and bearing polished golden vessels with long necks. They poured sake into everyone's cups and all pretended to sip twice. On the third time, everyone swallowed, thus completing the ceremony. Once the sake was drunk, the placemats were folded around the cups and everyone took them with them. The photo session took over an hour, and Ryoko's stomach was grumbling loudly by the time the banquet was ready.

There were very few of Tenchi's friends at the banquet since he had only told those he could trust the full story. Ryoko had no friends from her previous life, so the majority of guests were from Ayeka's and Tenchi's family, along with the friends all had made throughout their adventures. The speeches were all short and to the point, but then came something that mortified both Ryoko and Ayeka, the slideshow of all of them growing. To the embarrassment of both, Washu and Misaki insisted on showing the pictures of their daughters' wetting the bed. The picture viewing was kept brief, because all knew that Ryoko's memories of growing up were things she wanted to leave in the past.

Ryoko and Ayeka then changed into another kimono, red with flower prints, and their hair had been restyled and decked with bright flowers.The three of them then took a beribboned mallet and smashed open a cask of sake Everyone was served the sake, while the brides and groom walked around the tables, handing out thank you cards. Finally, bouquets of flowers were handed to the brides' and groom's parents and the wedding was over.

That night, Ryoko wore a nightgown that Washu had made up for her, one that was made to show off her body. She would have Tenchi all to herself and Ryoko was determined to make the most of it. It was the moment she had fantasized and dreamed about for years. She was in bliss as she felt Tenchi's warm, loving arms around her. Then, Tenchi's face changed and she saw the faces of her rapists. His gentle hands felt like rough paws and she lashed out, throwing Tenchi violently from the bed. Shaken, Tenchi slowly got up and saw his wife sobbing. He gently held her, not as a lover, but as a protector. Ryoko tensed up at first, but relaxed and clung to him, her face buried into his shoulder. It was a long while before she stopped crying, longer still when the regularity of her breathing told him that she had fallen asleep. Washu then stepped inside.

"What happened?", Tenchi asked anxiously.

"Ryoko clearly wasn't ready to have sex yet. Because she had never had sex before, there was no way of knowing how she would react. We all thought the scars had healed, but we couldn't be certain until now. She will need some serious therapy and counseling, but she should be able to conquer this and be able to make love.", Washu replied. She had kept their link open, not to listen in, but in case Ryoko started broadcasting. Ryoko hadn't mastered keeping her emotional state private, and Aiko was too young to be experiencing those feelings.

The next morning, Ayeka started to ask Ryoko about her wedding night. The question died on her lips as she saw her sister wife. Glancing at her husband, she was frightened by the look of cold anger on Tenchi's face. Not since he had fought Kagato had he worn such an expression. His mouth compressed into a thin line, Tenchi shook his head at Ayeka's unspoken question. Later, while Ryoko was with Ami, he told her what happened. Ayeka sadly agreed that there was no way to know that this would happen.

Ryoko's self-confidence had been badly shaken. It was three months before she even mentioned sex, and several more before she was willing to try again. It was shortly after Mayuka's third birthday, when she told Tenchi she was ready. She was determined to put the rape where it belonged, in the past. Following Washu's and Nobuyuki's advice, Tenchi took Ryoko out for a night on the town, before checking into a hotel. It was a night full of magic for her. She was a little nervous at first, but firmly reminded herself that this was the man who loved her. For the rest of the night, Ryoko made up for all the missed oppurtunities. When they returned home the next day, poor Tenchi was barely able to crawl into bed. Ryoko's grin was equal to Ayeka's. While she was happy for Ryoko, Ayeka complained that now she would have to wait until Tenchi recovered before she could have the night on the town that Tenchi had promised her. Ryoko shrugged at this, not the least bit contrite.

A few months after Tenchi took Ayeka out, she started waking up feeling nauseous. After throwing up, she'd feel ravenous. Ayeka also became moody and irritable. Thinking she might have picked up a cold or something, she asked Washu for some medicine. Instead, Washu handed her a hospital gown and told her to change. She had guessed already and the test soon confirmed it.

"Well Ayeka, you're not sick. In fact, you're in the best of health.", Washu said with a smile.

"If I'm in the best of health, then why the hell do I feel like I've been run through the wringer?", Ayeka snapped.

"What you're going through is perfectly natural. You'll probably feel like this for a couple of months before things settle down. Don't worry, you'll get used to being pregnant soon enough.", Washu replied.

"Pregnant ?! You don't mean...", Ayeka barely breathed.

"That's what I said. You're gonna be a mommy!!", Washu cackled.


Well, it's been a long, strange trip to this point. My life went through a trying time last year, and I wasn't able to start writng until September of last year. Work and a total loss of my computer prevented me from writing as much as I wanted, but I finally managed to finish the first part of chapter 7. Now of course, onto the footnotes.

First two points that I forgot to include in chapter 6. After I finished chapter 5, I bought vol. 9 of the Tenchi manga. It contains clear evidence of the severity of Ryoko's drinking problem. When the amount of money she has spent on sake is brought up, she defends herself by saying it was Christmas and you have to get drunk then, with the word "have" in bold face. I'd dearly like to what the original dialogue was, but for Ryoko to say something like this is proof that her drinking is out of control. Also, vol. 9 shows that Azusa isn't the ogre everyone thinks he is. He refuses to send Ayeka money while in front of Funaho and Misaki. As soon as he certain no one is watching, he's calling her again and when he can't reach her, sends her more than enough money to meet her needs. It is clear that he feels he must act in a certain way in order to set an example.

Regarding Ryoko's birth, there is a great debate whether or not she was born or grown in a pod. There is an artbook showing Ryoko in a pod, but the original dialogue uses the verb "born" as in given birth to. I tried to reconcile these two points with my story. I'm not saying my view is the correct one, just one based on what is known.

Many thanks to Diane Long for the description of the Shinto wedding. My description of the Jurain wedding is based on my vague recollections of Princess Diana's wedding. To this day, I can't understand the fascination people have with a ceremony that should have ended hours earlier. My idea of a wedding is the one from the end of "Spaceballs", namely the priest asks the bride and groom "Do you?" and when they say yes, he say that they're married and to kiss each other. (I am prepared for the slings and arrows of outraged brides and grooms who have been infected by this disease.) Note that I'm not against marriage, just the long, drawn out weddings.

The next part deals with Ayeka's pregnancy, as well as Ryoko learning what a child's temper tantrum can be like. Of course, Misaki will have be told sooner or later, and I'll let you guess her reaction.










"