Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Factory ❯ Worry Into the Year ( Chapter 52 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Worry Into the New Year

I: Welcome to the New Year:

-Pandora-

New year, new me. At least, that's how it's supposed to be. Don't mind me. I just get nervous around the New Year. I should have hopes. But something is always nagging at me when January first happens. I shouldn't be like this. Everything has been going fine. My designs are gaining traction. Everything at the Stardust Factory is booming. I am on good terms with Hunter and Evan. Everything should be fine, right? It's just my usual New Year's nerves, right?

But this feels different.

I can't explain it. I've tried to push down this overwhelming sense of dread. I can't seem to make it go away.

“Something wrong?” Evan asked. I about jumped in the middle of the crowded street. I turned my head. My boyfriend gave me a strange look.

“Are you filling okay?” he asked. I quickly nodded.

“Yes!” I said. “Why wouldn't I be?” Evan frowned at me.

“Is it your display coming up?” he asked.

“Yeah! Sure!” I lied. He took me by the hands.

“Don't worry about it,” Evan said. “You are going to do great. You've worked hard on it. I have seen the girls model off your designs. They are amazing. You will do great.” I forced myself to smile.

“Thank you,” I said. Evan kissed my forehead.

“Let's get going,” he said. “I want to get to the coffee shop before they decide to change their minds and close.”

“Right,” I said. Evan dragged me along through the crowd under the snow.

II: Art Never Sleeps:

The Stardust Factory is already at work. The year is ready for new art. Andy decides to make another movie. Pandora had her shoe line exhibit. Jemima was helping her to model. The Indigo Kids started on new music. The artists, writers, and actors dove into work as well.

Music blared through the Factory. Andy stood in the middle of the room with his glass of wine in hand. This year, everyone had to go big. They didn't know the reason yet. But this was going to be their best with the Factory. However, there was a dark secret that was slowly bubbling up to the surface.

III: Money Troubles:

In truth, the Factory is going broke. How did this happen? The parties are one thing. Then there are drugs. It didn't help that Andy was giving away some of his art for free. He didn't charge the movies either. Plus the Factory needed power to run. There were also the vacation and personal indulgences. Add in the little details, and the money was next to gone. It didn't take too long for the money to go in and out. Lately, the money is running low. Still, no one noticed that it was a problem until one of the more sober members took a look for themselves. More accurately, someone from the outside pointed it out to him.

The problems came to attentions on a Monday.

IV: Reality Knocks:

Ian was about to go grab the 8mm camera when he heard the door buzzing. The director turned his head.

“Hm?” he asked. Ian walked over to the door. He turned on the monitor near the frame. A young man in a nice suit stood outside. He looked around as he waited. Confused, Ian pressed the call button.

“Hello? Can I help you?” he asked. The young man outside looked up.

“Oh,” he said. “I am here with the NHK,” he said. “I'm here to collect money for the service.” Ian narrowed his eyes.

“We don't use the NHK,” he said. “This building doesn't even have a TV.”

“Are you sure?” the young man asked.

“Yes,” Ian said. The young man shrugged.

“Okay then,” he said. “Have a nice day. Bye.” He bowed and walked away. On a normal day, Ian would've brushed it off and moved on. But something inside of him got curious. Andy was out at the moment and Ian was trusted enough to have a key to the back room. The director looked around for a moment before quietly leaving the room.

V: Breaking Away:

This can't keep going. Simon was going to marry Nia. Emily didn't seem to know that. Or maybe she didn't care. Every time he tries to end with her, something always gets in the way. Simon has been ignoring her calls. In the beginning, she wouldn't get up. But lately, the calls have been dropping off. What's been going on?

He sat across from her on the table.

“Do you understand what I am saying?” Simon asked. Emily played with her ferret on her shoulder.

“Uh-huh,” she said. She blew kisses at the creature. Simon frowned.

“I am getting married in the spring,” he said.

“I heard you,” she said. “You keep telling me that every time we run into each other.” Then why does she keep acting like that's the first time.

“Are you getting what I am saying?” Simon asked.

“Yes!” Emily said. He put up his hands.

“Okay, okay,” he said. “I hear you.” He noticed her staring at him. A confused look came over his face.

“What?” he asked. Emily gave him a little smirk.

“You aren't married yet, are you?” she asked.

“No…” he said.

“Exactly,” Emily said. She picked up her cup and took a drink. Simon's stomach dropped at what he was getting that.

“I am marrying Nia,” he said again.

“I know,” she said back. He sighed and shook his head.

VI: Rude Awakening:

Ian stared at the computer with a worried look on his face.

“That can't be right,” he said. The director scrolled up to the top of the screen. He blinked as his stomach turned. He didn't want to believe it but there it was.

“Andy?” he heard behind him as he heard a knock on the door. Ian turned his head.

“He's not in right now!” he shouted. He tried to click out of the spreadsheet on the screen and turn off the computer as fast as he could.

“Ian?” a woman's voice asked. The director froze.

“Violet?” he asked. The door opened and the artist stuck her head in the doorway.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Uh…” he said. His eyes shifted back to the computer screen. Violet folded her arms across her chest.

“Why are you on Andy's computer?” she asked. Ian moved his hands into his lap.

“Listen,” he said. “We need to talk.”

“What?” Violet asked. The director took a deep breath.

“Please close the door,” he said.

“Why?” she asked.

“Please?” Ian asked. Violet shrugged and shut the door behind her. The director breathed out slowly.

“Thank you,” he said. “Come take a look at this.” Ian woke up the computer as she walked over to his side. Violet leaned in for a look.

“Oh…” she said. Ian pressed his lips together and nodded.

“Yeah,” he said. “It's that bad.” Violet looked at the director.

VII: What to Do Now?:

Andy knew the Factory was in trouble. But what hasn't he said anything? How many of them already know? Does he care about his beloved Factory?

Yes.

So what is he going to do about? Well, first there is his movie to complete. That creative energy has to go somewhere after all. Then he has a plan. He hasn't told anyone yet. But he's sure that he knows that it will work. He knows what to do after all. He's Andy Teach. Is that going to be enough this time, though? The artist-director is going to have to face the reality. Two people already know the secret. It won't be long before others start to find out too. He can't keep this from his people forever.

It's time to come clean and face reality.

VIII: Uncertain Future:

The New Year is here and already there are some problems that are bubbling underneath the surface. They will keep building and building and building before it reaches the surface. The question is who's going to snap first?

Black Worry