The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires ❯ Resilience of the Soul ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires
 
Warnings: Um...Angst, yaoi, angst, cute little girls, angst, inner monologues..Oh, did I mention angst?
Disclaimer: Not mine. Don't sue. No more places to hide bodies.
 
Chapter 4
Resilience Of the Soul
 
Link smiled sadly at me and reached over to stroke my cheek. "I wish you luck."
With that, he disappeared, leaving me alone in the cold blankness. I hugged my arms tightly, but the cold bit and tore at my flesh. I could barely move. Suddenly, my knees bent under me and I felt to them, curling over myself. It was so cold that it hurt, my muscles giving violent spasms to produce more body heat that was only ripped away moments later.
"What is this?" my voice uttered through lips shaking so much that they garbled the sound. "Am I dying...? Here, in my mind...?"
"You aren't dying."
I jerked my head up, but there was only darkness. I looked about, trying to find the guide. He was no where to be found. However, the voice I had heard didn't sound like his. I could have picked his voice out of a million screams. No, this had been oddly female and...doubled? No, tripled!
"Who's there?" I murmured.
"We who are all, yet nothing," they answered together. I struggled to get to my feet, but it was useless.
"Why is it so cold?"
There was a laugh and then, "Is this better?"
The temperature soared. I screamed as this heated air hit my ice cold body. It burned through me, roasting my flesh and scorching my insides. I fell into a quivering lump, trying to get over to sudden temperature change. Yet, it was still getting hotter. I gasped for breath of the hot air, sweat beginning to pour from me.
"No!" I cried through a suddenly parched mouth. My throat was burning!
"Enough fooling around."
I nearly cried with relief as it cooled to a moderate temperature. I lay in a panting heap before my tormentors, wondering what they would do to me after that. They remained quiet while I recovered. I couldn't guess who they were, but wasn't sure I wanted to know. Perhaps this was my guide in a new form. Finally, I pulled myself up and stood, staring out.
"What now?" I asked.
"Who are you?" was the abrupt reply. I blinked.
"I am Sheik," I said. There was a laugh and then-
"Who are you?"
I frowned a moment. What answer did they wish to hear? I was quiet as I thought about it. It had been the most straight forward answer I could think of. Simple, to the point. Perhaps they wanted more?
"I am Sheik, last of the Sheikah-"
"Who are you?!" It was an angry hiss now. I stared at the darkness and became quiet again. Once more, I thought through what all I could answer with. Nothing came that I wanted to speak, somehow knowing it would all be dismissed. Finally, I just sighed and looked up towards the black.
"I am."
They were silent. I marveled. Had I told them the right thing? Or, perhaps, it was wrong again and they decided not to give me another chance. Either way, I had no way of knowing, nor affecting it.
"Interesting." The voice caught me by surprise. It was not omnipresent around me, yet behind my shoulder. I slowly turned and stared at the woman who stood before me. Words can barely describe her. She had pale blue hair like the waters of lake Hyla and deep blue eyes like the sky. She was... beautiful. But still, so much more than that word...Our language doesn't have words that could truly describe her.
She circled me, her almond shaped eyes looking over me with scrutiny. I stayed still, watching her from the corners of my eyes as she slipped behind me. Coming back to my front, she clasped her hands behind her and cocked her head.
"Well," she said. "You certainly would have made a decent Hero of Time."
I blinked. "What do you mean?"
"What, you thought there'd be only one potential at a time?" She laughed, the sheer sound of it sending shivers down my spine. Her eyes flashed as she grinned at me. "Darling Sheik, why ever do you think you are here at all?"
"I don't understand," I replied honestly. She smiled and reached up, laying her hand on my cheek. It filled me with such warmth, of which I had never felt before. Her smile softened to gentile.
"Sheik. there is no destiny in this world that does not have more than one to fill it," she explained. "For the Hero of Time, there was Link…and then there was you."
I gasped, jerking away from her. My eyes were wide with disbelief. "That can't be true...I don't possess the Triforce of Courage! I-"
"Link did not until he pulled the Sword from the stone," she countered. I fell silent and let her continue. "Link was merely the first one who was affected by your destiny. Had Gohma come instead for either of the other Spiritual Stones, the Great Deku Tree would have sent Navi to you. It would have been you to become the Hero of Time and he the Vessel of Zelda."
I sunk to my knees for a second time. So close...It had been so close. With a one out of three chance, Link had just barely become what I was not. Either of the other stones and it would have been me. Zelda would have gone to him when she needed to hide. A sudden possessiveness flared up within me as I thought of that. No. No, it was unthinkable. The time with Zelda was all that kept me stable now. The thought of having lived without that...It chilled me.
Her hand at my shoulder shocked me. I jerked my head up and stared at her beautiful face. The smile was gone from her face as she crouched before me. She took my face in her hands.
"Don't think of what could have been," she whispered urgently to me. Gently, she urged me into her arms and I let myself fall within the embrace. "That isn't the future that was chosen by you. This is. And now, you'll fulfill the other half of this destiny, the half that Link cannot fill anymore. You are Link's twin star. Your destinies are so intertwined that if one should fail, the other would succeed. There are always two, child, even for the smallest of creatures. There are always two. Do you understand this?"
"I try," I murmured earnestly. She rocked me gently, stroking my hair. I felt safe, protected...As if in a mother's arms. I closed my eyes and relaxed against her completely before quietly asking, "What are you called?"
"I am Nayru," she whispered. I nearly smiled, having already guessed this.
She held me for what seemed like forever before I finally pulled away from her. Slowly, I stood and stared down at her before giving out a hand. She took it, rising to stand at my side. Once she let go, I closed my eyes and took a breath. When they opened again, I felt finally like myself again. However, Nayru was now gone and replaced with a figure I could barely make out from the corner of my eye.
"What am I to do now?"
"You have just shown your wisdom, child," said the figure. I glanced towards her. She was much like the first, only in colors of green. "Now, you will show your power."
I nodded and turned fully to her. "Let us begin."
Immediately, something slammed into my back. I screamed as it burned through me, but another came after, catching me in the side. After the first two, the strange balls of light came at me, each sinking into my body and causing a new pain to throb. I jerked with each blast, screaming my throat raw.
At last, it stopped. I fell to my knees, my head having fallen back to stare up in the darkness. My breath came in short pants as my body got over the shock of pain.
"Very good," she purred softly her velvety voice soothing my hurts. I slowly raised my head, staring at her without comprehension. What had been the purpose of that? The only thing that came to mind was testing my pain threshold, but how did that relate to power?
She stepped over to me, the waves of her deep green hair flowing behind her. Gently, she touched my cheek and smiled.
"You've done well. That is all you need to know," she said. She leaned over and softly kissed my cheek. "I am Farore."
She pulled away and before my eyes, shifted into a third figure. This one was in tones of red and there was a sharp distinction from the other two in her expression. The other two had been kindly and gentle, but this one was cold looking with dark eyes and a frown on her lovely face. She folded her arms akimbo and glared at me.
"I can't believe you're this far," she muttered. Her angry eyes kept me from moving. "I've never liked your races. Taking my lands and bending them to your will. Only the Zoras and Gorons live with my creation. The rest of you are merely parasites."
I frowned and slowly got up. "Perhaps, but this is how we were made to be."
She glared at me sharply, then looked away. "I have no test for you, boy. After all, the twin star of the Hero of Time and holder of the Triforce of Courage has to be just as good."
My eyes fell to the ground, waiting for some sign of what would happen next. I could feel her dark orbs burn into me, but did not raise my gaze to meet them. She was silent for a long while, though time seemed to have no meaning there. Finally, she let out a sigh.
"Go on and awake, boy. You've nothing to do here," she growled. There was a pause and her voice became less gruff. "By the way, I am Din."
I looked towards her, but she was already gone. Immediately, the dark jumped at me, wrapping me within itself. I yelled out, but my cries went unnoticed. The darkness took me.
My eyes fluttered open. The rocky ceiling above me was familiar. I stared up at it, letting relief swell inside me. It was over. The dream was finally done. It all seemed fairly anticlimactic. Slowly, I got up. I was amazed at how weak and tired my body felt, my limbs heavy with exhaustion. I frowned and wondered what Darunia had given me. I tried standing, but my knees were weak and I had to sit on the edge of the table again. This worried me, of course. How was I to continue my training if I could not even walk?
"Ah, so you're awake?"
I looked up and saw Darunia walking towards me. He had a bundle in his hands, colors of purple, blue, and black. There were a few other Gorons following behind, each carrying a tray of food. My eyes widened as I realized just how hungry I was.
"How long was I asleep?" I murmured, my eyes trained on the meal. Darunia laughed softly.
"Five days. Now eat up. You have today and tomorrow to get strong again."
I didn't have the strength to marvel at the amount of time. The world dwindled to the hot foods and sweet wine placed before me. I ate and drank quickly, sating the enormous hunger I felt. The tastes played over my tongue for only moments before another took their place. When I could finally take no more, I put down the dishes and glanced towards Darunia. He had an amused look on his face, as if containing laughter.
"I expected an appetite like that," he chortled. I noticed then that the others were gone and cursed my inattentiveness. The thought of five days suddenly came back to me. I blinked and glanced down, trying to figure it out. Three days without water killed a man. I had slept five? This was impossible. I looked at him again.
"How?" I asked simply. He laughed and slapped a beefy hand on my back, jerking me forward and nearly off the table.
"Old herbs," he said wisely. "Old herbs. Now then...You have new clothing, sent by Queen Zelda."
I glanced at the bundle he held out to me before taking it. The cloth was soft and light, but incredibly warm. Looking at my own clothing, I was amazed to see it ripped and riddled with holes. I sighed and started unraveling the bundle. Darunia left me to my own devices.
I felt stronger after eating, enough that I could stand. The first thing to go on was a baggy pair of black pants. They were loose enough not to impede my fighting, but not enough to get in my way. After came a tight black shirt, cut off below the shoulder. It was comfortable and slick to the touch. Over these went a dark purple tunic with no sleeves. The holes were quite wide to allow free movement. Attached to the tunic was a long length of white cloth that hung slightly longer than the tunic itself and boasted the symbol of the Sheikah on the front. I nearly smiled at the sentiment. Lastly were two wide strips of dark blue material. One I used as a belt. The other became my cowl. I was amazed at how I felt, covering my face again. It was...relieving. I could hide myself away again, keep my expression to myself. I felt...normal again.
After a few last adjustments - the addition of my boots and wrapping of white cloth about my forearms - I made my way out of Darunia's lair. I had to hold the wall with one hand, my body still weak from so long without sustenance. I saw the light and followed it to the enormous cavern before it. Beyond me, Loud cheers, shouts, and singing filled my ears. Gorons were dancing and jumping about, all heading past me to another place. Darunia was there at the door, grinning at me. However, I saw an almost sad gleam to his dark eyes. I realized with a start that his eyes reminded me of Din's.
I had little time to ponder this as he grabbed my arm and lead me with the others. We came upon another cavern as large as the first. In the center, a huge fire raged and Gorons danced about it singing. It was a joyous, primal, careless thing. I suddenly wanted to join it, but my own weakness kept me at Darunia's side. A circle of sitting Gorons was forming widely around the fire and we joined this. The air was filled with even louder cheers as the festivities went on. I found myself clapping and singing along with them, the happiness and fun so pounded into me. I almost didn't see the flash of green within brown.
Link danced about the fire with the others, his voice and laughter raising over it. I stared at him, myself going still. The sound seemed to drown and colors faded, all except his. I watched him with the sick fascination of one who wanted to deeply what he could never have. After he nearly caught my own eyes, I turned away and cursed myself.
Darunia's hand on my shoulder surprised me. I glanced towards him with a slight frown. He had a sympathetic look on his face.
"Young one," he murmured softly, "Do not force yourself to live in agony."
I nodded to him, but could not take his words to my heart.
The celebration (which I never asked the nature of,) lasted through the day and well into the night. Darunia had more Hylian food for me. It seemed Zelda had thought of everything. I fled from the party after Link seemed to spot me, his face falling to a strange expression, one I didn't stay to see the completion of. After that, I didn't return to it. I was happy to stay within the other cavern, listening to the voices. It was deep into the night then. I felt lethargic, my full belly only aiding the sleepiness. I blame this for my inattentiveness.
"She said you were here."
I glanced up at him, willing my face not to change. "I had training to do."
He was quiet a moment, his lips pursed. "You've covered your face again."
"You're quite astute," I said darkly, eyes narrow. He frowned at me, then turned to go back to the festivities.
"I don't know what I expected," he muttered as he left. I followed him with my eyes. A place in the pit of my stomach churned. I dismissed it and stayed until the festivities were over. Darunia came to me and led me to the room I would use for the night. There were two soft looking beds, one on either side of the room, with a torch between them. I shrugged and stepped over to one, dropping myself onto it.
"Thank you," I said to him. Darunia nodded and left me to my own. I shifted on the bed, moving the rest my back against the oddly smooth stone wall. Folding my arms and closing my eyes, I settled down to rest.
Not a moment later, footsteps entered the room, followed by a short gasp. My eyes snapped open, glaring towards the intruder. I almost wanted to laugh. Fate apparently hated me. Link looked as surprised and...betrayed as I did. He looked like he was about to leave but changed his mind and plopped down on the other bed. Neither of us looked at each other, determined not to be the first to say anything. I, personally, had nothing I was willing to speak of, especially to him. I could only guess it was the same with him.
In the end, we managed not to say a word the rest of the night.
I did sleep, but had the strangest dreams. All about Link, of course. In one, it was almost as if I were awake with him standing over me, touching my face...but that was, of course, a dream. I wanted to curse such dreams. They seemed to be trying to give me false hopes.
That morning, I rose before he did. I left the room quickly and found the rest of the Goron city to be still quiet in slumber. I easily left the city behind, alerting no one. As soon as I was in the field, I pulled the harp from my back and began to play. It was still so early that only a fake dawn lit the realm. The world was still sleeping. The air I breathed was cool, but my clothing quite warm. I sat on the ground, playing my harp until true dawn came. There was no urgent reason. I just wished the solstice it brought me. Once dawn had risen, I stood and slipped my harp away. I wished to be as far away from Link as possible. There was no need to wait until he woke and have to face him once more.
My path took me most of the day. It was just dusk when I arrived at the entrance to Zora's Domain. The world was growing cooler around me. Once again, I was glad for my warm clothing. Quietly, I made my way through to the waterfall. It was quiet already, except for the splashing water. I sighed softly and brought out my harp. The first strings of music came forth and I let my eyes fall half lidded in the pure pleasure of playing the melody. Her lullaby always brought me such contentment. I came back to myself at the end of it. The door was already open and I leapt through. It was cooler within there than it had been outside. I made my way slowly into the water world. It's denizens looked at me with amazement and confusion, but none bothered me until I reached the corridor up to the King's Chamber.
"Stop!" said a harsh, demanding voice. I paused and glanced towards the Zora male. He was large and strong, like all the others I had seen, with a scowl on his narrow face. There was a spear in his hand that I didn't wish to feel.
"I wish to see the king," I told him calmly. He looked incredulous at my cold earnestness.
"Well, you can't," he said. "Only invited guests can see the king."
"My name is Sheik," I countered in the quietest, most calm voice I could muster. "It was arranged three weeks ago that I would see the king. If you do not comply with this, I will force my way there. Do you understand?"
He blinked a moment, uttering my name with wonder, then got out of my way. I walked past without looking back. It was odd how much my name suddenly meant. It was recognized for once, in more than just my home village. I wasn't at all sure what this meant for my future. Then again, I wasn't sure if I wanted to know.
When I finally got to the Throne Room, I spotted the ones I had come to speak to instantly. King Zora was hard to miss, as was his daughter, but for different reasons. King Zora was too large to miss and Princess Ruto too beautiful. I bowed before them, going to one knee.
"I am Sheik," I explained quietly. "I am to receive training here for one week."
"We were expecting you tomorrow," Ruto murmured. I didn't move my head up, but didn't need to as I heard her smile in her voice. "However, you are no less welcome."
I nodded, rising to my feet to look upon her father. King Zora was, apparently, quite asleep sitting up. Ruto followed my gaze and scowled.
"Sorry," she muttered, "He isn't as...energetic as he used to be."
"No apologies needed, Princess," I said in reply. She glanced me over, head to toe, then nodded.
"Follow me."
I did so