The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires ❯ Ingenuity of the Mind ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires
 
Warnings: Um...Angst, yaoi, angst, cute little girls, angst, inner monologues..Oh, did I mention angst?
Disclaimer: Not mine. Don't sue. No more places to hide bodies.
 
Chapter 6
Ingenuity of the Mind
 
Ruto led me out and away from the main part of the city. We went far within the watery reaches of Lord Jabu-Jabu's lair, he himself quite deep in rest. I glanced over his still form as we passed, wondering how he was doing after Link's adventure inside his belly. Finally, we reached an opening I recognized.
"The Ice Cavern?" I wondered as we climbed up to it. She put her hands on her hips and stared down at me.
"The last of your training starts here. It's a maze. You'll have a week to find the exit." She dropped the pack she had picked up before we entered this area and opened it. "This is a week's worth of dry rations. There are seven springs within the maze that will signal if you've gone the right way. If it takes you longer than seven days, you'll starve to death. Do you still wish to undertake this training?"
I thought a moment before nodding. If I stopped now, I might not be ready when the danger came. Ruto smiled at me before stepping towards the wall and laying her hand on an oddly colored plate of ice. It glowed as soon as her flesh touched it, then a door opened next to her.
"I wish you luck, Sheik. Queen Zelda has faith in you and her trust must be well earned. I will see you in a week."
I gave her a nod of goodbye as she slipped back down from the cavern opening. I took the pack onto my shoulder and went through the open door. Suddenly, the air was much warmer. It was still cool, but not enough to prickle the skin. I walked down the narrow corridor, noting that the ceiling was barely two inches above my head. `He would have to slouch,' I thought absently. The tunnel was long and winded about until I had no bearing over where I was going. It didn't seem like much of a maze then. The path took the better part of four hours to walk through. It was as if I were traveling under Hyrule Field and nearer to the Castle than from where I had come!
At last, it opened into a larger area. This 'room' had three entrances. Two, one of which I had come through, lay close together while the third was exactly opposite them and twice as wide. Cautiously, I glanced into the opening near mine but saw nothing. I turned towards the last, but hunger caught me then and I decided to sit in the center of that chamber and have a snack. It was a most unfortunate thing to do. Seconds after I finished the jerky Ruto packed for me, footsteps sounded from the second opening. I got up silently, moving to the wall as I reached for one of the twin blades at my belt. There was a slight sound as it slid from it's sheath and the footsteps paused. I didn't move as I listened cautiously. An answering twang made my body tense for a fight. I didn't hear footsteps anymore, but did see the subtle change in the shadows. Without another thought, I lunched forward and brought my blade about. The other parried with a cry and a flag went up in my mind. I knew that voice. It had haunted my dreams so many times…
"Link!" I said in surprise, jumping back.
"You!" he replied in the same, eyes wide. We stood there, staring stupidly at one another, for a while. I wasn't sure if I was pleased about this or rather pissed off. I decided to be angry.
"What are you doing here?" I asked coldly. He looked slightly surprised before his own brows fell and his eyes grew hard.
"Zelda sent me to run the maze with you," he said in a defiant tone that sent a shiver down my spine. If just his voice did this to me, what would being in close quarters with him for a week do? A second shiver followed the first. This was going to be difficult.
I sheathed my sword and picked up the back, shouldering it.
"Don't get in my way," I muttered and turned from him, walking silently into the last of the three openings. I heard his steps moments later behind me. Only a few strides through the corridor brought a fork. I glanced each way before choosing one and going on. Link simply followed me. I could feel his eyes glaring at me while a spot on my shoulder twitched. Thus was how that day was spent, stopped only once for a meal. I chose from each fork and continued without speaking and he was always behind me.
I didn't know how time went during that. The maze was completely underground, torches every few feet to light it. I could only go by my internal timekeeper. It was this that signaled it was time to eat and rest. I had come to a square `room' with one of the springs that Ruto had spoken of. I ate a portion of jerky and hard biscuits, completely ignoring my companion. After drinking from the spring, I filled my canteen for the next day. After, I propped myself against cold stone wall and folded my arms across my chest, letting myself fall into a more comfortable position to sleep. I heard Link shuffling about, but ignored him. Still, rest would not find me until he quieted. It seemed an eternity before I could hear his breathing slow into the steady rhythm of sleep. I raised my head, letting my eyes rake over his form. He was positioned much like I was, but had no cowl to hide his face. He was quite beautiful, his expression relaxed and lips parted. I felt the urge to brush that stray strand of hair from his face, but curbed it viciously. I rather enjoyed having hands attached to my arms.
When I awoke, Link was up and moving about. I watched him as he stretched out his body, doing a few small exercises. He froze when he noticed my eyes were open.
"Sheik," he murmured. It sounded as if it were suppose to be a greeting but hadn't come out right. Instead of answering him, I got up and stretched a few sore muscles. I could feel his eyes on me and barely kept myself from reacting to it. The pack went back over my shoulder and I was ready to go again.
"Sheik?"
With a long suffering sigh, I finally acknowledged him. "What, Link?"
"Do you play th lyre?"
It caught me by surprise. I turned back to him, searching his face but finding nothing. I scowled.
"I do," I said. He had a particular expression, but said no more. We left the first check point soon after that and went on. The second day went much like the first until we reached the second point.
A few feet from it, I paused. Behind me, Link notched his bow. It seemed that he felt it as well, even without a fairy this time. I took point (he was the important one, after all) and slowly approached the end of the tunnel. A shadow moved and I froze. A whistling sound filled my ears suddenly and I jerked my head to the side, narrowly missing the arrow that flew past my head. It hit it's mark and the keese screeched it's death, the little body falling to the ground. I turned a glare at Link, who stubbornly met it, before purposely striding before him again to round the bend without a glance first. It was a stupid move.
BAM!
I blinked as I suddenly realized I was flying. My body slammed hard against the stone wall and I cried out in pain. My vision swam but I was able to keep standing. I could barely spot the green clad form rush past me. There was a much larger monster before us, black and green with horrible red eyes. I saw the green form get thrown much like I had. Then, the eyes turned onto me. I grabbed one of my blades, holding it before me. I felt incredibly useless, but my mind was having troubles grasping anything and by vision hadn't cleared. Still, I dashed forward and sliced at the black thing. I saw a jet of deep red before it caught me again. I hit another hard surface and my world blackened.
When I came to, it was dark. My body was propped against a corner. I tried to reach out with one hand only to drop it with a hiss as pain streaked up from it.
"Don't move!"
I opened my eyes and tried to see him, but failed. I was having a hard time keeping awake. "What happened?"
"I killed it." I could hear the scowl in his voice. "It exploded."
"Where are we?"
"You were thrown into this crevice...cave...whatever it is. When I killed it, I came to get you but it exploded and blocked the way out with rocks. This space is too small to use a bomb and I used too much magic killing the creature...I need a few hours to regain it before I can blast us out of here with Din's Fire."
I sighed softly and laid my head back carefully, wincing at the soreness of the back of it. I listened to Link shuffle about but my aching head distracted me from following his movements. Therefore, I didn't expect the sudden hand on my face.
"You hit your head pretty hard," he said in a kind. "Are you all right?"
I felt my cheeks fill with heat. I was glad to keep this out of my voice.
"It aches," I murmured finally. "My vision blurred before. I do not know if it had gone back to normal or not."
"Maybe this will help."
He moved about and I felt his hands gently take up my forearm. I hissed in pain, but didn't fight him. Slowly, he rubbed a substance of some kind onto it. I clinched my teeth as it burned its way down to bone, apparently mending. There was a seething comment forming in my mind, but my mouth refused to voice anything at that moment. Finally, I felt him wrap cloth over my arm.
"It should heal within a few hours," he said with an odd inflection.
"Thank you," I answered. He was quiet a moment, then-
"Drink some...for you head."
He pressed the bottle to my hand and I took a swig before giving it back. The pain in my head throbbed more violently for a moment before receding and disappearing. I blinked and stared at where I thought he was.
"It worked well," I said in surprise. He gave a small laugh before settling next to me. My head cleared, I noticed immediately how warm he was. His body head beckoned me nearer. I knew it would not be taken well, but still barely restrained myself from even touching him. I resolutely pressed against the opposing wall, glaring at myself. Link was to be with Zelda. Zelda! I chanted this in my mind but it did not help me at all. My heart ached with the need to have him as my own. It had never been so strong before.
"Are you okay?" his voice filtered to me, concerned. "You're breathing faster."
"I'm fine," I choked out, trying to think of an excuse. "I jarred my arm."
"Oh," he said. I didn't understand the odd note in his voice, just dismissed it. He believed me. Slowly, I tried standing. The `cave' we were in was tall enough for it, though when I raised my hand upwards, it barely passed my head before hitting the ceiling above. He heard me getting up and did as well. I could almost feel his curious concern.
"Sheik?" he asked. I ignored him, moving along the wall to see how large the area was. It wasn't much, barely long enough to lay down and half as wide. He followed behind me, his hand sliding along the wall in time with my own. Then, I stumbled. He grabbed at me, but I pulled him down. It wasn't a soft landing, but far from a hard one. Still, it winded me. Or, I thought it had. Instead, I found myself laying on my back with a heavy form above me. Link didn't move. I could imagine his face. Those blue eyes wide, mouth parted to utter an apology. I reached up and found his face. They were wide and his mouth was open.
"Sorry-"
My hand slid back into his hair, displacing the green bandana around the back and lacing my fingers within the soft strands.
"-Sheik-"
I leaned upward and gently brought my lips to his. He jerked but the hand in his hair kept him from moving away. Then, he began to respond. I felt myself fill with a sudden, horrible joy. One of his arms wound around my back, holding me tightly to him as his tongue invaded my mouth. I heard a soft moan but didn't know who it was from. The hand in his hair journeyed down his back, nails running down the course cloth. His back arched against my hand before he pushed me back to the ground, our lips never parting. One of his hands slid down my side to rest on my thigh. And then he whispered it.
"Zelda..."
Ice raced through my veins. I shoved him off of me, ignoring the pain that shot up from my injured arm. He gave a small grunt of surprise but didn't try to get near me. I dragged myself up and walked to the other side of the cave. My face was flushed with embarrassment and my heart throbbed with pain.
"Have you regained your magic?" I asked in an icy voice. He didn't answer at first, but I heard him shift.
"I can try."
"Do it."
I grabbed my cowl and moved it roughly to cover most of my face again. I felt stupid. How could I dare to think he might want me? He had probably forgotten I wasn't her in disguise. Hell, I didn't even know if he knew about that.
There was a sudden flash of light as Link tried to blow us free, but little more. He hadn't had time to regain his magic. With a defeated sigh, I slumped back down to the ground, letting my head fall between my raised knees. I wanted out of there, away from him. Damn Zelda! Damn her to the fiery pits of hell! I'd never hated anyone as I hated her then. She had taken seven years of my life! She had ruined any chance I had to live normally! She had destroyed all happiness I ever hopped to attain!
No. That wasn't true at all. She was my best friend. I felt foolish, getting angry at her. It was pointless. Zelda would do nothing to purposely harm me, nor any other living being. I could not hate her if the object of my affection felt for her instead of me.
"I need more time."
His voice brought me out of my mind and made me feel the hurt all over again. I didn't give him an answer and he didn't speak up again. I heard him sit and then we fell into a horrible silence that lasted for hours. Finally, he got up and blasted the obstruction away. We filed out of the area and kept our silence as we ate and lay to rest by the pool.
A few hours later, I awoke again and got my things together. I left him sleeping sounding in the second checkpoint and went on by myself. I wasn't nothing more than the whole world between us.