The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires ❯ Cast of Doubt ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires
 
Warnings: Um...Angst, yaoi, angst, cute little girls, angst, inner monologues..Oh, did I mention angst?
Disclaimer: Not mine. Don't sue. No more places to hide bodies.
 
Chapter 8
Cast of Doubt
 
"Slade is the son of Ganondorf."
Immediately, chaos erupted. People were yelling all around, trying to be heard, and fighting with one another. Zelda was trying to calm everyone and even Link was in the fray. I stayed quiet, staring across the table to the only other one who hadn't joined in. Slade sat still and silent, his green eyes locking onto mine.
"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Zelda yelled suddenly. Everyone fell into silence, staring at her. Zelda waited until everyone sat down again before she continued, "I would have thought representatives here would have more restraint than this. I'll not have the mention of that man's name make a mockery of order!"
The stunned silence gave way to a guilty one. Zelda took her seat and rested her head on her interlaced hands.
"Now then," she said in a stern tone, "We have business to attend to. We'll begin with you, Princess Ruto. Please address your concerns."
Ruto nodded, her _expression telling all that she understood the unspoken command to ignore Slade until Zelda mentioned him again. She spoke of a few things, Zirrif and Dunere adding in every once in a while. It seemed that the water temperature of the Domain was slowly lowering, as it had years ago. She was concerned with this, of course, and hoped it would be investigated.
Darunia went next, telling of the increasing monsters around the mountain. Kairse added that the clouds above it seemed to be changing, getting thicker and darker. The youngest Goron Link, flushed brightly about the cheeks, said that the trail to Death Mountain was getting more dangerous as spontaneous avalanches came more often.
On the Kokiri side, Saria reported that while the Forest was as safe at it had ever been, the Lost Wood was filling with monsters. She warned that the monsters might soon figure out how to use the passages to the other realms of Hyrule. It was disconcerting at the very least to everyone. Mido only reported the good status of their people.
When it was Nabooru's turn to speak, I saw anger fill a few eyes. She ignored it, of course, and carried on with her report. Great sandstorms were suddenly swelling within the desert, endangering the Gerudo. Baanir told them of the casualties resulting from travel between the fortress and the clans deeper in the desert. Saylin only commented that it wasn't safe to venture out anymore.
At last, all eyes fell onto the young form of Slade. He kept his face blank but his eyes and body language were a dead giveaway to his discomfort. I saw Zelda's face soften as she gazed upon him.
"And you, Slade? What have you to contribute?"
Slade was quiet a moment, debating what he wished to say. Finally, he gave a short nod and raised his eyes.
"I live within the desert with my mother, as leader of one of the major clans," he began. "My people are dying. Our survival depends on the caravans from the fortress but the storms keep them from coming. They bring us water and trade items. We're slowly being driven from our homes by the storms. They're unnatural. We don't know who's causing them, but it won't be too long before we are forced to leave the Desert. It may seem a small thing to move a population from that area, but where will we go once we reach the field? There is no area other than the Field itself that's habitable."
"I understand your concerns of this. We will try to help as best we can," Zelda assured him. She gave a short report on the state of the Castle's inhabitants, then paused and frowned. "There is one other thing I feel that must be brought to attention. However, I wish only to tell those in power. The rest of you, please leave us until we call you back."
Most stood and left at her words. Ruto, Darunia, Saria, and Nabooru kept their place. Slade started to get up, but Nabooru stopped him. Link and I didn't leave either. Once the rest had cleared the room, Zelda sat back in her chair and let go of her professional mask, worry quickly coloring her features.
"I've dreamed," she murmured softly, "I dreamed of pain and terror plaguing our world again. Dark clouds returned to cover Hyrule in darkness. There was a ray of light, but it faded quickly. Then I saw the form of a man with a red stone upon his breast. With him was a child. I know not who these two are, only that they threaten Hyrule in this time. I believe all of our problems are being caused by them, the sandstorms, monsters, and cooling of the waters"However, I do not know how to begin looking for our newest threat."
Darunia let out a soft growl. "We will fight whoever these threats are! I refuse to suffer another seven years of agony!"
"I agree," Ruto seconded. "Allowing that mistake again might just destroy our world."
"I don't want the Kokiri to suffer again," Saria murmured in a soft voice. "We are a childish race, no use in battle. Still, while the second Deku Tree protects us, we will give shelter to any who desire it."
"That is all we can ask of you," Zelda said comfortingly.
"The Gerudo will come at your call, my Queen," said Nabooru fiercely. I noticed a lively gleam in her eyes. "We are not afraid of death."
"My people want to be of use as well," Slade spoke up, though his eyes didn't move from the table. "Our very homes are on the line."
Zelda quietly contemplated all of this.
"We do not know whom we are fighting or how we must go about doing it yet," she said. "Until then, there is little that can be done. We will have to keep in contact until we know more."
The others nodded and Zelda dismissed them, closing the meeting. The others filed out, quietly talking to one another before joining their companions. Link left to speak with some of them. Zelda and I remained, as well as the boy, Slade.
"May I hold you a few moments?" Zelda asked him, her tone kind and non-threatening. Slade merely nodded and took a seat near her. I started to leave and give them privacy, but her gentle hand upon mine kept me at bay. Zelda sent a small smile my way; one that plainly read, 'don't leave me.' I sat back down.
"Slade, may I ask how old you are?" she began. He seemed a little confused.
"I'm sixteen, my Queen..."
"Don't bother with titles," she said with a wave of dismissal. "I'd rather you called me Zelda."
"Of course," he answered.
"Sixteen," she murmured, thinking absently. "Then you were...seven when he tried to take over Hyrule?"
"Yes, ma'am." He paused but went on a moment later. "The Desert barely noticed the shift in power. I wasn't even told of my father's exploits until last year. My mother didn't think I was old enough."
Zelda stared at him with scrutiny. "You look nothing like him, you know."
Slade let out a surprised laugh. I blinked at her myself. It seemed an odd statement, considering her garb at that moment.
"I take after my mother," Slade said in a more cheerful tone, his cheeks colored scarlet. "I used to get picked on for looking like a girl."
"I think you're elegant," Zelda assured, which only made the young man blush harder. I found myself thinking the same thing Zelda had. Slade was not at all like Ganondorf, not only in looks but also in personality. Out of the rigid formality of the meeting, he seemed like every other teenage boy I'd ever met. Zelda and Slade spoke for only a few minutes more before we all stood to leave. I was fairly surprised by Slade's height. I don't know why I didn't notice it before. Slade was at least a head taller than me, and I wasn't by any means short. He was nearly twice as much taller than Zelda, not that she seemed to care. Something suddenly caught my notice. I reached out and seized Slade's hand. The young man jumped in surprise.
"What is that on the back of your hand?" I asked calmly. Slade jerked his hand away, taking a step back from me. He hurriedly pulled his sleeve to cover his hand.
"Nothing, just a birthmark," he answered uncertainly. Zelda blinked at him.
"Let me see it," she said kindly. Slade looked at her helplessly for a moment before letting her take his hand. She gently pushed up the fabric and gasped softly. There, on the back of his hand, was the Triforce. Slade looked away, his face showing with shame.
"I know not what it means," he murmured softly. "My mother told me not to show it to anyone... She said I would be in danger."
Zelda glanced at me with a soft frown before turning to the young man. She slowly pulled off the glove on her own hand, revealing her matching mark. "It would be best if you showed no other. All know that I possess this piece of the three. They know that Link possesses another. However, we have been on the look out for the last piece since Ganondorf was banished."
"Then...I inherited my father's piece of the Triforce?" Slade blinked in amazement. "What does it mean?"
"It is simply that you have in you the ability for more power than ever imagined." She took his hand in hers and stared into his face pleadingly. "You must never use this power on anyone, ever. If your heart is pure, the Triforce will not consume you."
He nodded solemnly.
We left the meeting room and the visitors began to filter out soon after. Link and I stayed at Zelda's side as she said her good byes. Ruto gave the Queen a very un-royal hug, but Zelda returned it with vigor. The Zora's Princess also gave Link a chaste kiss on the cheek that made him blush and myself burn in my heart. Darunia was content with a shake of the hand, but did slap Link's back hard enough to knock the other man down. Saria jumped into Link's arms and embraced him before giving Zelda a polite curtsy. The boy she was with, Mido, bowed to Zelda as well, though he viewed the other Kokiri with a sneer. I could see it was more of an affection the boy was expressing for Link in his odd way, not aggression. When all others had gone, Nabooru came up to give her own goodbyes.
"I apologize for not warning you," she said to us kindly. "I truly could not think of a way to tell you of Slade without bringing him here in person. He himself is much less frightening than his ancestry."
"It's understandable," Zelda replied with a sad smile. "I am glad you brought him. He will make a great asset to our kingdom's peace."
I offered to walk Nabooru, Slade, and their companions out. Being with Nabooru had always calmed me. Still, despite her best efforts, the boy still made me wary. He felt...wrong, much the way his father had, but it was an odd wrong. It didn't seem to merely come from him, but around him, as if trying to fill his entire being. The feeling made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.
I suppose that was why I didn't notice my senses jumping to full consciousness.
There was a scream. I jerked around and grabbed for the blades that weren't at my waist. Cursing, I dashed back inside. My bad feelings had multiplied tenfold.
"Zelda!" I cried, running down the long and suddenly very dark hallway. I heard Slade and Nabooru behind me. A shape formed at the end of the hallway. I skidded to a halt and glared harshly. Zelda's frightened eyes stared at me, her hands pulling at the arm around her neck. Glittering red eyes smirked over her shoulder, but black cloth and the dark showed little else. Finally, I spotted Link laying still on the ground. The dark spots on his clothing were undoubtedly blood.
"If you come closer, I'll snap her neck," purred a voice that belonged to the eyes.
"Let her go!" I cried, wishing I had my blades. The figure laughed in harsh tones.
"I don't think you're in a position to negotiate," she taunted, the laugh still in her deep voice. I grit my teeth.
"What do you want," I growled, eyes narrow. I was afraid the woman would hurt Zelda and refused to let that happen. I was Sheikah. It was my duty to serve her. Yet, she was also my best friend. I was bound by heart to save her.
"I have what I want," she said. A black clad hand came up and stroked Zelda's cheek. The blonde woman turned away, eyes shut tightly. "She knows what I can do...She knows what I will do..."
The scarlet eyes turned back to me, but the laughter was gone and replaced with seriousness.
"She knows what she must pay for."
"What are you talking about?" I asked, hopelessly confused, and still frightened for my mistress. She laughed again, but it was hollow and cold.
"Has she not told you?" Zelda's eyes opened and stared at me in horror, her mouth moving in denials. I didn't understand. The woman's arm tightened about Zelda's throat, making her wince. "Of course she would not. She needs you, boy. She needs your heart, your soul...your strength. She's used the Sheikah as her predecessors did. Still, it is worse than this. She befriended you! Blinded you! At least the ones before knew of their past! They knew of the betrayal!"
"Betrayal?" I murmured in confusion. Zelda locked her eyes with mine and I saw the shame filling them.
"I see you're realizing it," the woman purred. "The realization is reaching your eyes... It's delicious...If I had time, I would drive the stake deeper. Still, I have places to be. Farewell."
Realizing what was about to happen, I raced forward, but was too late. The woman threw something at the ground and in a flash, they were gone. I cursed, recognizing the magic. It was a secret of my people, taught to me by Impa herself since no others lived to. I noticed something on the ground and stooped to pick it up. In the darkness, I could barely make out what the design was. If it hadn't been so familiar to me, I probably wouldn't have.
"Sheikah," said my whispered voice, amazement and disgust coloring it. How dare that woman disgrace my people by wearing our symbol. I seethed with rage, my hand tightening to crush the bit of cloth. Being confused had always angered me. I was unsure of everything at that moment. Without turning, I spoke to Nabooru. "Take Link. Wake him and tend to his wounds. He'll come with me if he is awake when I leave. If not, let him find his own way."
She didn't question me, apparently able to hear that I was near my breaking point. I left them there, and went back to my room. Zelda had replaced my clothing days ago. I dressed in what was becoming familiar cloth. There were a few changes to it, however. The cowl would allow me to breath under water, the tunic to survive the horrible heat of even the Fire Temple.
I secured my crisscrossing belts, my long, curved blades hanging on either hip. Various other weapons hid within my clothing, unnoticeable from the outside. A length of rope, small daggers, shots for my sling; all these were at my disposal. I would get Zelda back, with or without help. I saw none of the others until I reached the doors. Slade was there, his face worried.
"Where are you going?" he asked. "We don't know where she's taken the Queen."
I felt my face lose all emotion, shoving it all away to deal with later. There was no place for anger in battle. I raised my eyes to his face, taking the youth in. He was so very young...
"I am going to see the Great Fairy. She will know where to look."
Slade nodded and stepped out of my way.
"I want to help, but I don't know how," he said softly. I sighed and pulled the double doors open.
"Return to your people," I instructed him. "You're needed there more than here."
I left them and went on my way. The entrance to the Fountain was near to the castle and it took me only a short walk to reach it. Looking at the small entrance, I knew I would not be able to enter it. Still, the Fairies worked in strange ways. As soon as I stepped nearer to the wall, the stone warped and reshaped into a doorway just large enough to walk through. I nodded my thanks to her and went on into the tunnel.