The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires ❯ The Drums of War ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires
 
Warnings: Um...Angst, yaoi, angst, cute little girls, angst, inner monologues..Oh, did I mention angst?
Disclaimer: Not mine. Don't sue. No more places to hide bodies.
 
Chapter 9
The Drums of War
 
I entered the fountain quietly, listening to the sounds of the water. It would have soothed me, but I had no time for it. Without speaking, I went to the fountain's edge and pulled out my lyre. It was not her lullaby that I played, but another melody. I had heard no other ever play it, except Impa, who taught me all of the Songs. The Anthem of Battle filled the area, its notes fast and harsh. I had never liked the song, but it felt closer to my current mood than ever.
Immediately, a form erupted from the water. She spun once and stood before me in mid air, light glinting off her silver armor. She looked like each of her cousin Fairies, other than the helmet, breastplate, and gauntlets. Her wise eyes took me in and mine her.
"Hello, Traveler," she greeted. "Why have you called upon me, the Great Fairy of War?"
"Queen Zelda has been kidnapped," I told her as I put my lyre away, but before I could go on, I heard running steps enter the fountain. I turned and scowled towards Link. He skidded to a stop and stared up at the Fairy in awe. Intending to ignore him as long as possible, I turned back to the Fairy. "Tell me who has taken her and where."
The Great Fairy was quiet a few moments before she spoke. "Queen Zelda was taken by the followers of Ganondorf. They have fled to the Desert Temple."
"Ganondorf has been dead for two years!" Link cried from behind me. "Why would his followers strike now?!"
"Ganondorf was gone, not dead," the Fairy corrected. "He was simply trapped in the Other World, but this is no longer so."
"He's escaped," I said, finishing her statement. My fists clinched. "What has this to do with the Sheikah?"
"My loving children," she murmured in a wistful tone. "They are growing once more."
"How can that be?! Impa and I were the last!"
"No, not the last of all." her face grew soft and sad. "Simply the last left here, out of the Desert. My children have found root once more. Your brothers remember the Great Betrayal. They wish for revenge. Ganondorf has promised it to them."
"What is this 'betrayal'?" I asked coldly. "The woman spoke of it."
She sighed softly and shifted to sit in the air. "My children, the Sheikah, were at one time as numerous as any other race of Hyrule. They were warriors of the finest caliber. However, the king of Hyrule grew worried of their power and numbers. He was afraid they would try to take over his place. To make sure this never happened, the king sent his men into the Sheikah village of Kakariko and had every child under maturity murdered, male as well as female. The Sheikah were outraged, but their grief was too much and he too powerful. After that, most of my children fled to the Desert where the king's power did not reach. The rest stayed and continued to protect his lineage. Those that stayed slowly dwindled until there were only two: Impa and yourself."
I dropped my gaze, hands fisted tightly. "I will go to them and bring my Queen back."
"Be careful, child," she said in her quiet, soothing voice. "When you find them, they may be as you always hoped. But you may find them still wanting."
With that, she spun and disappeared back into the water. I stood there in silence for a few moments, letting it all sink in. I wasn't sure if I wanted to believe what she had told me, but it would have been folly not to. She was one of the Great Fairies. There was no incentive to lie to me. Finally, I turned on my heel and strode past the green glad man.
"Sheik, wait!"
I stopped and whipped around, glaring harshly at him. Link looked surprised, but stepped up to me. I saw him opening his mouth to speak and reach up to my cowl, pulling it down and away from my face.
"Sheik, I-"
His speech ended when my lips crushed his against them, my hand at the back of his head. He made a surprised gasp that only gave me an opening to thrust my tongue savagely into his mouth. His surprise fell as he began to respond, his body coming closer to lean against mine. I let this happen, but didn't move to touch him any further. After a little while, I jerked away from him, fingers tight in his blonde locks. His face was flushed, eyes half lidded and clouded. I waited until he looked me in the eyes again.
"Figure out who you want and stick with it. I've no time for indecisive idiots," I growled at him, letting the hurt and embarrassment I had felt those days ago show in my face. His eyes flew wide. I let go, shoving him away, then left the fountain, not caring if he followed. I went back into the castle and told Nabooru and Slade where Zelda had been taken. After that, I strode out of the castle itself. The town was in a state of panic. News of their monarch's kidnapping had spread already. It was easy for me to leave the town unnoticed. The field was calling to me and with it was Evalus. He stood, pawing lightly at the ground as his intelligent eyes took me in. It was as if he knew he was needed. I went to him, stroking my fingers down his nose. It made me feel better to have him.
"With you here," I murmured softly to him, "I think I could perhaps do what needs to be done."
He only snorted quietly and brushed his face against mine. After another moment, I climbed up onto his back, shifting until I was comfortable. It was only then that I noticed the other horse waiting. She was a beautiful mare, brown and white with eyes as intelligent as Evalus'. I remembered who she was a moment later and nodded to her.
"Greetings, Epona," I murmured gently to her. She glanced at me with curiosity. "Your master will be about soon enough."
With that, Evalus and I were off, heading for the desert. I knew the way well enough, but only had to direct Evalus a few times that day. By nightfall, we were within Gerudo territory again. Nabooru and Slade had just barely beaten us and were waiting for me.
"What can we do?" Nabooru asked first, face set with determination to help me.
"Rest for the night and supplies in the morning," I answered as I dismounted.
"Have you found the Queen's whereabouts?" Slade asked worriedly. I nodded.
"They have fled to the Desert Temple. I believe they wish to use the Desert of Illusions against us."
Slade frowned. "I shall go back to my village and form a battle party. We are immune to the Desert's effects. I bid you luck in keeping your way, but warn you of the dangers. The storms are getting more frequent."
"Do as you wish," I said and bid him goodbye. He gave only a few words to Nabooru before going off to find his steed. She and I went on inside the fort and went about deciding what I would take with me in the morn. Nabooru was quite stubborn with me and insisted on coming along. I finally agreed, but grudgingly.
Link came during the night, a few hours after I had arrived. Nabooru gave him a room and warned him that she'd wake him early. She told me of this when she came to my room to badger me about sleeping. Instead, we ended up spending hours talking like we had when we were children. Nabooru calmed me. She always had. I could deny her nothing, not even when she insisted that "the annoying Hylian boy" come with us.
When we finally slept, curled in an odd ball in the middle of my bed, her sleep was content while mine was riddled with nightmares. I dreamed of a black tinted figure with a red stone on his chest and of his child consort. I saw Zelda die at the hands of my own people. Still, I was motionless in sleep and thankfully, Nabooru knew nothing of my ill omen laden dreams.
In the morning, we set off. Nabooru and Link followed on their horses as Evalus and I took point. It would take two days on horseback to reach the temple, and that was if we didn't get lost. We were suppose to rendezvous with Slade there and attack if needed. As soon as we entered the Desert, my body was on alert. It knew the danger and I let it guide me. The day wasn't what I was worried about. The only dangers during the sunlit hours were heat, thirst, and loosing the way. It was at night that our greatest foe came out. At night, the Desert played.
We road through the hours, few words between us. The wind was beginning to pick up and sand pelted us constantly. Every once in a while, my eyes strayed from the course to check on my companions. Well, that was the excuse I gave myself, anyway. It was because of this that I nearly missed the wall of darkness coming towards up. Evalus pitched suddenly, jerking his head. I nearly fell from his back, but caught myself and tried to find what startled him. The storm was fast approaching and I felt the wind already beginning to quicken. Quickly, I scanned over the area, hoping I knew where I was.
"Follow!" I cried sharply to the others as I turned off the path, hurrying Evalus to run as fast as he could. If Slade was correct in the severity of the storms, we would not survive one. I could hear the others behind me but didn't stop my search. At last, I spotted the nearly invisible rocks I had found long ago. The cave's opening was barely seen. I looked towards the oncoming wall of sand once more before setting my sights back to the destination. As soon as we got to the rocks, I dropped from Evalus's back and led him inside. Nabooru and Link copied my actions. As a child, I had gone into the desert many times alone and had found this cave. The opening was only big enough for one horse to walk through, but it soon opened into a wide chamber. We settled the horses, trusting each to keep calm in the space. I gently pet Evalus's nose and bade him to be patient.
"Now we wait out the storm," Nabooru said softly. I looked at her and saw that her gaze was back through whence we had come. I went to her side and saw it for myself. Already, the wall had come upon us. The light was quickly feathering out as sand whipped across the cave's opening. I only hoped it wouldn't cover our way out.
"Before much longer, we'll be in the dark," Link said. I nodded.
"There should be some torches around here. Lets try to get them lit."
We were able to find three such torches and lit each, casting a somewhat dull glow over the cavern. Still, there was enough crystal in the rock to bounce our pitiful light about. After that, the three of us went about doing whatever we fancied. I tended to the horses, feeling the need for Evalus's company. He listened to me without comment, enjoying the feeling on my hands in his soft hair as I brushed it out. The brush was wide with soft bristles. Malon had given it to me when I went to see her a while back, before everything started, before I had a horse of my own, actually. I paused and thought back to her. Malon met me during the seven years. The only reason I met her again was on an errand for Aridine. Milk from Lon Lon Ranch was highly prized and no other had the quality. It had been for a small party in the village, if I remembered correctly. I sighed softly, letting my head rest against Evalus. He made a soft sound of worry and I patted his side reassuringly. I wanted to go home to Kakariko. I wanted to leave the chaos and get back to my routine. Most of all, I wanted to see Aridine and Kiris and Star again. My heart ached to know they were all right. I couldn't help but fell afraid for them.
"Sheik, are you all right?"
I glanced up, looking at Nabooru's face. She was somewhat concerned but I knew she wouldn't press me if I didn't want to talk. Most times, I didn't. However, I was feeling more open to her then.
"Homesick," I murmured earnestly. She smiled softly and put a hand on my arm.
"Your village is loud and green if I remember correctly," she said humorously. I let a soft chuckle escape.
"Two things you hate most," I responded. Her eyes glittered with mirth.
"Well, I suppose it isn't your fault that green is my least favorite color," she said, crossing her arms. A smirk played to her lips. "At least there's red there, right?"
"Much of it," said I. "The field grows rich with red wildflowers near the stair. Aridine has me fetch a new bouquet each morning."
"Tell me of her? You talk of the women in your life very little." Her smirk widened as a flush came over me. Together, we sat against the wall by the horses, absently stroking their legs and belly while we talked. I told Nabooru of my home in Kakariko with Aridine and Kiris, and of those I'd grown fond of. Star enchanted her and she noticed the longing with which I spoke.
"I've had disturbing dreams," I said finally, letting my gaze fall. Nabooru's face lost the mirth as seriousness took its place. "Last night, there were many. The figure and child that Zelda spoke of, her death. But I also dreamt of my home's destruction. I saw fire and bodies, monsters... I fear this dream may come to pass."
"Don't lose hope," Nabooru warned me, voice fierce. I nodded, but could not quell the darkness tearing at my heart.
Hours later, the storm had passed. We set out again, only having to dig part of the way out into open sand. Again, I took point. Nabooru may have been Gerudo, but I knew this desert through. Above, the sky warned that darkness was shortly ahead. I wanted to ride through the night to make up for lost time and warned the others.
"The night will bring phantoms," I told them sternly. "Believe nothing your eyes tell you. These illusions cannot harm you if you do not believe them."
They took my words with a serious air, though undoubtedly knew already. After that, there was little speaking. We rode, keeping a look out for certain land forms and signs of the way. The silence let my mind wonder as if often did.
The child in mine and Zelda's dreams haunted me. I felt a sickening familiarity for her, as if she were one I knew already. It frightened me, but I knew I could not discount this. My mind, as strange as it was, rarely set me on the wrong trail.
My mind strayed to my right hand. I glanced down and remembered the symbol I had seen only yesterday on a young boy's hand, one I had known forever to be on a young woman's, and one I knew would always be on my love's. My body actually winced at the wording my mind used. 'Love'. This entailed that the lust I felt was returned, something I was not at all sure of, nor did I know if I truly wished it. I shook my head and turned back to the path, ridding myself of these thoughts.