The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires ❯ The Child Consort ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Ruby Surrounded By Sapphires
 
Warnings: Um...Angst, yaoi, angst, cute little girls, angst, inner monologues..Oh, did I mention angst?
Disclaimer: Not mine. Don't sue. No more places to hide bodies.
 
Chapter 10
The Child Consort
 
The Desert wasted no time in throwing its torments about. We went on despite the illusions. Before my eyes, people I had known, or had simply seen, died before me, screaming at my failures. They writhed and moaned in horrible pain, crying eyes begging me to help them.
I had no true wrong doings in my past, alone in childhood. I had never killed nor stolen. During the seven years, Zelda and I did what we had to survive. Some of those I saw were people we had killed then. I suppose those were my wrongs as much as hers were.
A tiny hand gripped my side. I turned my gaze down and locked eyes with a child's gaze.
"You left us, Sheik," she shouted, her hair dirty with soot and blood. I jerked away from her with a cry and fell from Evalus's back. The phantom stared at me and began to approach. Her accusing eyes were full of hate and anger.
"SHEIK!" I jerked my head up, wide eyes focusing on Nabooru's face as she stared down at me from her horse. A moment later, I looked back towards Star, only to find her phantom was gone. Shame filled me at the stupid mistake. That had not been my Star; it was merely the Desert playing with me. Getting up, I kept my eyes to the ground as I mounted Evalus once more. He gave a soft, comforting sound, but I felt far too stupid for him to help.
There were many phantoms that night, some that I ignored, and others I could not help but stop and stare at. Nabooru and Link faced their own demons that night. What they saw I would never know and never wished to. I was not the only one to fall from their horse, either. Nabooru was the next to fall, screaming as her eyes stared at things I could not see. I held and comforted her as best I could until the phantom left her alone. Her deadened eyes kept to the ground for hours after. Tears took to Link's. He'd dealt with this Desert before and knew of its temper, yet he could not help but cry for the sins it played to him. I believe he was the one it affected most.
Daybreak brought a relief I had never felt before. We were exhausted from the night. Finally succumbing to that exhaustion, we stopped to rest and heal our minds. The water was warm, but it was a welcomed relief to my dry mouth. The jerky was delicious and the taste kept my mind away from other things. I gave the horses their share of breakfast, which they ate happily. The three of us barely spoke, each keeping to ourselves until it was time to start again.
This day was passed like the last, endless hours of silence and riding. Again, I was at the point. It seemed the most natural. We rode until nearly sunset before the Temple came into my view. We dismounted and let the horses go. They would wait until needed again. We approached the Temple in silence, eyes roving for any sign of Slade's band. Link spotted them first, tapping my shoulder to alert me. I could barely see the warriors, but Slade was standing in the open, his long, violet hair flying about. He was staring towards us, waiting. Together, the three of us went to him.
"I'm glad you made it unscathed," he said quietly, taking my hand in greeting. Nabooru looked over the assembled warriors. They were in tan cloaks and barely visible in the Desert's sands. Slade was dressed much the same.
"Have you sent in scouts?" I asked, letting my eyes flow over the Temple.
"Neither have returned," Slade said with a frown. "I fear that our presence is no longer unknown."
"No fault to you," I replied with a nod, then glanced at my two companions. "Link, we will go inside now and find out what we're up against. Nabooru, stay with Slade until we signal you to attack."
"What will your signal be?" she asked. I thought a moment before deciding.
"A flash of light. You will know it when you see."
Everything decided, Link and I went on to the Temple. Guards walked the perimeter, each holding wicked looking weapons I did not wish to meet. They were on alert as Slade had feared, but this did not bother me. Link and I found a hiding spot and stayed until sunset, watching the movements of the guards. They changed twice during this time and we memorized their movements. When the third change occurred, we attacked. Blood flowed like rivers, but there was no sound. They had never suspected us there. I stared momentarily at the Sheikah symbol adorning each chest, the Tear missing from the Eye.
On we went, staying out of sight as we traveled through the corridors. Link, who had freed the Sage from here years before, seemed in awe of the Temple. He had only been in a select few areas. The Temple was vast; it's rooms reaching far into the ground and long under the sands. I, myself, knew little more of it.
Two guards walked past us, oblivious. Link leaned forward on his feet, as if readying to attack, but I held him at bay; we would follow. This was easy. The Sheikah were used to traveling in shadows, unseen. Link had more trouble with it, but still was undetected. More guards joined the ones we followed as well as others in strange uniforms, flowing reds and blacks with the Eye on each. I had the suspicion that these may be priests or perhaps mages. This did not bode well.
The Sheikah led us to a large gathering place, right behind the colossus statue outside. The room behind it was just as enormous and filled with excited Sheikah. A ring of huge boulders encircled the group like eerie guards. A huge platform was directly opposite us. Upon that platform, Queen Zelda stood, her head down and hands bound behind her. Two guards stood at her sides.
Link and I snuck inside and made our way around, staying to shadows and behind rocks. My senses were aflame, warning me of the danger we were in. Link and I were great warriors, but we would not survive if we were found. I noted every sound, every movement. There was no excuse for being caught off guard. I could teleport out, but only if I had the time to play the songs. The blades at my side waited. They knew that blood may be shed soon enough.
The crowd suddenly went up in an uproar. We paused behind on of the huge stones and looked towards the platform. There was a new person standing there at the edge with arms spread, small and dressed in dark, flowing material. A hood shadowed most of the little person's face and a large red stone gleamed from the chest. My eyes flew wide. It was the child! The child from my dreams!
"Here me!" cried a child's voice that boomed unnaturally through the cavern. Noise from the crowd of followers died down to let the girl speak. After a short pause, she lowered her arms. "We have successfully captured the traitorous Royal, Zelda. It is time for us to have our revenge!"
Cheers and screams went up again and the child smiled as she listened. Then, she quieted them again.
"Soon, my brothers and sisters, we will rise from our Desert home and take back what is ours. We will take Hyrule!"
This time, the child did not quiet her worshipers as they rose in triumph. Looking at her, I felt the stirrings of familiarity once more. The child. I knew her. Somehow, I knew her, but try as I did, I could not remember who she was. All I knew was that she was important to me somehow. I simply didn't know how.
A tap at my shoulder from Link reminded me that we had a job to do. Sneaking out of the cavern was easy. Together, we made our way up through the levels. It seemed that all of the Sheikah were in the cavern. After a while, we found our way outside.
"A light arrow?" Link asked me. I shook my head.
"You might need it," I replied. Instead, I lifted my hands above my head and closed my eyes. Immediately, I could feel the life and energy flowing about me like water in the sea. This was the old magic, passed down from parent to child of the Sheikah. I could only hope that these traitors to our clan knew little of it or they would feel the sudden pull.
Wind began to pick up my hair and clothing, making them flow within the soft cyclone I was making. Letting my eyes open partway, I saw the tiny lights begin to form around me. Link stared with wide eyes as he took a step back. I lifted my gaze to the sky and willed the lights go upwards. The little fireflies of energy twirled and danced in my wind, as if playing a game together. All the while, I felt my lips move as I whispered words.
"Lights of life, come to my call and aid me in my time of need."
Suddenly, the little balls of light shot up into the sky. A moment later, each exploded with violent flashes. My cyclone dissipated and I let my hands fall.
"It's done," I murmured, glancing towards my companion. He was still staring at me in wonder. "Come; they will be here shortly and others may have noticed my magic."
He nodded and we went back inside to the cavern. While we were waiting for reinforcements, we had to make sure of Zelda's safety. Together, we made our way around the rock ring. On the platform, it was as we had left it with the child looking over her followers. I wondered why they hadn't killed her yet. From what Impa had told me of my ancestors, they didn't wait around for the kill. The Sheikah did things quickly and efficiently with little mess. Then again, those were tales of the Tear Sheikah, as I had begun to call them. These Eye Sheikah seemed to be far different. I watched them now as they danced and celebrated, their music loud from the drums, xylophones, and cymbals. It was tribal and angry with a fierce melody and maddening pace. Within the stone ring, bodies writhed and danced in abandon, oblivious to anything but their victory.
Link and I made our way to the platform. There was a stair upward and none were paying attention to it. Still, once we were to the platform, there was no cover. I turned to Link and leaned into him to whisper in his ear, though I doubted I would be heard even shouting over the music.
"Go back and wait for Slade while I try to free Zelda." He opened his mouth to argue but I covered it with my hand. "You're the Hero of Time, Link. There's no way I can let you die."
With that, I pushed him away and stole up the stairs. He did as I told him after a moment's hesitation. Half way up the stairs, I paused and glanced at my clothing. The colors would be a dead give away. I was wary of using magic there with them so close, but knew I had to try. Calling up my energies, I created an illusion over myself, coloring my clothing red and black like the others and hiding the Tear. With that, I went on up as silently as I could. They didn't appear to notice me, the two guards with Zelda laughing with each other and the child standing still at the edge. I slowly made my way behind the two guards and stole a glance over the cavern. Few would notice if the two suddenly disappeared. Without a sound, I pulled both of my blades from their scabbards and readied for an attack. They sang as they flew through the air, then were countered by two bumps as the heads of the guards rolled from their necks. Zelda jerked her head up and stared as I slowly lowered the bodies to the ground, then turned and looked at me. Her eyes were wide and her face pale.
"You came for me," she mouthed in awe. I glanced at the child, but found her to still not have noticed. Quickly, I sheathed my blades and bent to untie her hands, only to have my hands stopped by an invisible shield. It was then that cold metal touched the back of my neck. I froze. Zelda stared at me helplessly, shame coloring her face.
"How arrogant of you," murmured the child's voice so close to my ear. I did not move. The girl leaned onto me, the warmth of her body sifting through my clothing. At once, my illusion shattered and the violet and blue showed a stark difference to red and black.
"I am not stupid," she continued quietly. "Did you really think I did not foresee an attack?"
I said nothing.
"Sarn is too playful a person to not have angered you when she stole the Queen away," said she with a smirk in her voice. "Tell me, dear Sheik, do you think I have not already taken care of your feeble army? That you friends are already dead and will not help you?"
There were still no words from me, but this time it was not out of pride. It was from terror for my fellows.
"I can sense your fear and it is a delicious feeling," she murmured with a chuckle as she leaned closer still. I felt her breath at my ear. "Soon I will know the feeling of your pain."
Despite my best efforts, her voice put a shiver down my spine. Still, it triggered other emotions within me, the ones that held to the familiarity. The strange sense of unease and protectiveness for that voice confused me.
There was a bang as the doors to the cavern were thrown open and bodies swarmed in, all tan clad. The followers rose with screams of terror and anger, battle cries soon filling the air. Helplessly, I watched from the platform as Slade's army spread through the Eye Sheikah, killing and dying just as quickly as their enemy. The child shoved me forward suddenly. I stumbled in surprise and fell over the edge, barely grabbing it and evading a fall. Her voice screamed over the chaos.
"FALL TO THE FOUNTAIN!"
I pulled myself up just in time to see the child throw town her hood. Black curls fell around her as her red tinted gray eyes mocked me. Then, she shattered her shield, grabbed my beloved Zelda, and disappeared in a flash. I got up and stared over the platform before more flashes stole my attention. All through the cavern, the Eye Sheikah disappeared. The bodies of the dead and the still living men of Slade's army were all that were left. I made my way down, seeking out Nabooru, Link, or even Slade himself, but found nothing in the sea of tan and red.
"Where is your leader?" I asked one man. He couldn't answer me, nor could any of the others I spoke to. I fled the chamber of death and ran through the halls, searching for any but the tan clad warriors. Outside, I finally found them. I almost wished I hadn't.
"Nabooru!" I cried, running to her side. She was laying in Slade's arms, her face pale and body still. I could see blood still flowing from her wounds, so she must be alive. "Bandage her wounds! She'll die!"
"She's been poisoned," Slade murmured quietly. "Their blades are tipped."
I ripped off my cowl and tore it into strips. Ignoring Slade, I began to tend to her wounds, wrapping them as best I could. If the poison was slow enough, she would have to survive the trip back to the Gerudo fortress. As I tended to her, I slowly began to recognize the symptoms she was displaying. I knew what poison the Eye Sheikah had used. I only prayed I had enough time.
"Get her back to the fortress," I barked to Slade. "Let none touch her blood!"
He nodded, but there was little hope in his gaze. Link ran to us but stopped when he saw Nabooru. Ignoring him, I pulled out my lyre and strummed a familiar melody. Not even finished, I felt the magic lift me away. Moments later, the forest opened before me. It took me hours to find enough of the right herbs. By then, I could feel the affects of blood-contact with her. Nabooru was lucky that this had been a poison I knew well. Otherwise… I did not let this train of thought go any further. Once I had what I needed, I began to make my way out. The Lost Wood tried to confuse me but failed. I left it without looking back.
Without being caught by any Kokiri, I left their forest and began the trek back to the Gerudo Fortress. The trip over the field took only day to their two from the Temple. Still, that was on horseback. Without that mode of transportation, I would reach the Fortress about the same time they did. I ran with all my might until I fell from exhaustion. Even then, I rested only a small time before starting again. My fear for Nabooru kept me on through the night and for most of the next day. When I arrived at the Fortress, the warriors greeted me with hurry. I was taken immediately to Nabooru's chambers. As I predicted, they arrived just before me.
Nabooru's form was covered in sweat, her eyes open but foggy. Hallucinations were setting in. One of her attendants gave me a bowl and pestle, which I used to grind the herbs. Another brought hot water. Carefully, I mixed the potion even as my own vision was beginning to fade.
Near Kakariko, there was a plant nicknamed the 'Dragon Killer' for not only its dragonish shape, but for its deadliness. Many a child had inadvertently eaten it's blood red berries and been poisoned. Because of this, the potion maker in the village kept stocks of the antidote and taught most how to make it. I was one of those to learn. 'Dragon Killer' was an easy plant to use in tipping weapons, since its thick juice easily seeped into even metal. Once one had been pierced by a 'Dragon Killer' tipped weapon, the poison would spread through the body via the blood stream, destroying tissue as it went. Eventually, it would kill the victim. How quickly this happened was all up to the victim's size and resilience. Since the poison used blood to travel, the victim's blood could carry it to another simply by touch because of the poison's ability to soak into just about anything. It made treating the victim especially tricky. Poison by blood contact was much slower in its infection but just as deadly.
I finished mixing the antidote with a sheen of sweat forming on my skin. The poison was beginning to affect me more now. I doubted I'd be able to administer it myself. My quickly glazing eyes sought out one of Nabooru's attendants. I waved her over and told her how to administer it. I wasn't sure when, but sometime during that explanation, I fainted.
The place I was in was dark and quiet and so very warm. It was as if I were in a place of utter comfort. There was no pain there, no torment. There was simply… peace. I wondered if I had died, but that thought was there only momentarily before it flitted away into the nothingness I felt.
"He wasn't poisoned! Why does he lay there so still?!"
A voice.? Did I know this man? Perhaps. But it did not matter.
"Blood contact. He was the one that bound my wounds. Blood contact slows the process, but also the prolongs the healing time."
She is so worried… why is she worried? I could not understand.
"He will be alright. From what I've seen and heard of him, he is strong. Don't worry."
A boy…?
The voices disappeared as I fell deeper into the darkness of my healing sleep. I did not know how long I was asleep. Time had no place in my mind, no value. I floated endlessly with no cares, no worries.
I awoke to stinging sunlight and a terrible headache. It was like a hangover, complete with an upset stomach and a bad taste in my mouth. The first thing that happened after I woke, of course, was emptying my stomach into a pot placed near the bed. It seemed who ever had put me here had thought of this possibility. Once this act was over, I slowly got up. I felt weak and tired, lethargy making my limbs heavy and slow. I was dressed in a loose, tan shirt and darker pants, both made of a soft material. I wondered who had dressed me, but this was not a burning question. Slowly, I stood and made my way to the door. Once through it, I found myself in a hallway. The stone walls were familiar and I went along a way I remembered. I heard talking, voices I recognized. A doorway was open and I went to it, glancing inside. People I didn't know sat around a table. They had been talking but paused when I appeared, their eyes turning towards me.
"Sheik, you're awake!"
I glanced down the table and saw Nabooru. She was still pale and had rings under her eyes, but she seemed more alert than I. At her side was Link, who's eyes were filled with concern. Nabooru got up and came to my side. She gently took my arm in hers and led me back to the head of the table. There was an empty chair where I sat. She settled back into her own chair and turned to whom I now noticed to be her council. I listened to her talk with her council over small disputes and then of larger problems. Though I listened, I did not hear it nor did I retain it.
The meeting was over soon enough. The others stood and left, their business done.
"You should try to eat something," Nabooru said to me as we went on. Link trailed behind us.
"How long was I asleep?" I asked. My voice was broken and scratched, my mouth and throat dry. It seemed I had not spoken for days.
"Five days," Nabooru replied, confirming my notion. "I did two, myself. We were all worried about you."
"I am alive," I said quietly. We came to the mess hall then. A few warriors looked towards us but did not speak. Nabooru led me to a table and brought me food. I let her do as she wished. My body was sluggish and heavy, a side effect of so many days without nourishment. I ate in silence, feeling both her and Link's eyes burning into me. When I finished, I felt much stronger and raised my gaze to them.
"Now," I murmured, "I have something to tell you."
Nabooru looked a little surprised but nodded for me to go on.
"I know who the Child is from my dream," I whispered, letting my gaze fall. "It-it was Star."