The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow Heart ❯ Weakening Path ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors input: I'm a sucker for Dark Link and his emotional spazzes, although I do not own him, or any other character from the Legend of Zelda series for that matter! My favorite pairing for the sexy Dark Link is Malon! (Sorry yaoi fans!) Here is my romance fic attempt (that will try to stay original). The chapters may be a little short because I don't like to read boring sections, or filler, any more than the next reviewer. ~.-
---Weakening Path---
This is it. This is my last chance..”
A golden hue of light flashed once over a green field sprinkled with shimmering dew droplets. The misty shade blanketing the land of Hyrule lasted only but a second before it was forced into the long shadows of Lon Lon Ranch buildings without resistance by the crest of the warming sun. Already, a dainty girl with pale slender limbs nearly skipped through a pasture with a case of the morning glee. Despite her seemingly fragile frame, she bore a heavy bucket in her hand and a wide smile that rivaled the warmth of the sun. A hum so sweet that it coaxed the early birds into singing sounded clear and bright over the pasture. The hum itself seemed to be enough to make the horses paw in their stalls, trying to call back with high pitch whinnies as though upon cue. “I wonder where Inigo is this morning.. He usually handles the heavy work.” It wasn't that Malon didn't like the work. In fact, she was up into the morning fog before the sun even came to greet the land. The horses would have to wait just a few more minutes.
Malon set the filled bucket of water down by the cucco pen, wiping her red bangs from her damp forehead as she took a moment's break. Ingo, her workaholic uncle, always tended to milking the cows, handling crates, and generally any repairs or heavy lifting that needed to be done during the day. No exceptions. Even when horribly sick, the man would sneak out of bed to tend the struggling ranch.
CRASH!! “Graaaaah!!” Malon snapped her attention up immediately, dropping the water bucket with a `clang' to spill its contents, which seeped quickly into the ground. “Father!!” Her light footsteps hastened toward the house in worry of what was amiss…
--- ---
Ugh.. I can't hold on any more..”
Link's head popped up as he heard an otherworldly hiss. The eerily familiar sound reminded him of.. No.. That can't be; that bastard shadow is dead. With a smile, a brown gloved hand pat the side of a massive dark palomino mare, who gave an expectant glance toward her companion. Epona was not one to spook from her loyal nature and all that she had been through with her master. In place of being nervous or startled, her fist instinct was to look to Link and be ready for action. Link knew Epona well. “Shh.. You'll be ok girl. We are almost there.” ..But the wound above her front left hoof was changing the norm. Epona's limp was beginning to get worse. Link tried to stay in good spirits, forgetting all about the strange happenings and the fact that ambient animals were avoiding them like the plaugue. If only for the sake of Epona's comfort and ease as they carefully advanced up a hill, Link forced himself not to react to the darkness playing tricks at the corner of his eye. "Almost there.." Risking his unease showing to the agitated animal, Link spoke calmly. “At least there is a path from here to the ranch. I'll make sure that your old friend Malon herself takes care of you while you recover. I bet you miss her by now as much as she must miss you..” Little did Link know that just below him a demonic shadow writhed across the very ground he walked on.
Just moments later Link was greeted by..Ingo? The tall and lanky farm worker was running out of the ranch, a 'feirce' rake at the ready. Ingo's beady eyes opened wide as he saw the green clad hero. "Link!!" As though summoned, a fat brown cucco game flying over the fence in a flurry of feathers and rage. The blows from the rake must of knocked some feathers loose. Link was used to abrupt situations and reacted naturally by drawing his Master Sword. It took him a momment as he was running to try and figure out just what was going on. Should he kill the cucco? Or just capture it? His options were limited as the enraged cucco lunged for Ingo's back. Without hesitation, link knocked the cucco away. He meant to just put sepporation between the strangely acting animal and the poor farmer, but ended up knocking the cucco out cold. Ingo took the oppertunity to catch his breath, muttering under it at the same time "beserk animals" and "strange stuff happening."
Link's sword slid back into place with a 'click.' "What happened to make that cucco so angry?" Ingo leaned on his rake, speaking between pants. "I.. It just went crazy! That..cucco was hatched..from a bastard egg.." The man wiped his brow before continuing. "The egg was an odd color of green. I thought it was bad and went to toss it because our cuccos dont lay those kind of eggs. Malon insisted that we give it a chance, and sure enough it hatched into this bizzare..creature. It's always been a little funny, but never like this!" Link thought the situation over before speaking. "So it just decided to attack for no reason?"
Ingo walked over to the cucco and carefully picked it up, holding it away from his face as they walked back. "Bwah.. Everything on this farm is going to crap. Now even the animals are turning on us! And who cares? No one but Ingo, that's who!" Link was used to these kind of rants and just nodded his head in a pleasent, polite manner as though listening. "..and then the cows caught the barn on fire a week ago and gave spoiled milk to boot!!!" Link was about to ask when Ingo suddenly shoved the cucco into Link's hands to run toward the open door of the ranch house.
--- ---
Review! I have not written many fics as I have read, and really need the help. =( Flames are ok too, if they are sensible. I always reply to my reviewers in the following chapter. Please tell me of spelling errors or general flaws. =D I've played the Zelda games, but it has been a while! XD (I have a lot of this story written, though it needs a little revision. The chapters will get longer and longer as the story picks up, but %75 boredom free!)