Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ All My Gunslingers ❯ Kidnapped! ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Legato and Caine were sitting in her convertible. The blue-haired man was doing lines off the dashboard and Caine offered him some "special" stuff. Special because it was laced with a powerful sedative. A few seconds later, Legato was out cold, drool dripping down his chin. Caine wasted no time in revving the engine, seeing the piazza plunged into darkness in the rearview mirror as she headed to the rendezvous point.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
When the lights went out, it was fairly obvious that something was amiss. Knives merely glanced at Elendira (or rather, in the transvestite's general direction).

Knives: Lights, Elendira.

A rustling sound next to him was followed about a minute later by a sudden light shining in his eyes. He blinked rapidly as Elendira turned the small flashlight away. Looking about, Knives could see people already becoming nervous, milling about in random confusion. He stood swiftly.

Knives: We're leaving, Elendira.
 
Elendira: Yes, sir.

As the two strode swiftly through the darkened mansion, Knives' sharp mind analyzed tonight's events. He had been watching the others dancing on the platform, his gaze snapping back and forth between Bluesummers (possibly his next toy) and Meryl (the one he'd discarded). Oddly enough, he remembered them being taken from the room. How odd...

Elendira opened the door of his stretch limo, and Knives slid inside as Elendira slipped into the driver's seat, both taking their masks off. Tapping the panel in front of him, a mini-computer unfolded in front of him. He immediately began to scan recent reports to him from the criminal underworld. If he was right...

He cocked an eyebrow. Well, this was interesting. Apparently, there had been a couple of disgruntled anarchists at the party tonight. He had only snippets of information on each one, but it was enough. It didn't take much of an imagination to figure out what had occurred tonight. There had been kidnappings.

A message suddenly popped up on the screen. His brow furrowing, Knives opened it. He read it quickly, his eyes narrowing. Experiment 031 had escaped. He would have to be recovered, of course.

Elendira: Sir, look.

Knives looked up as the car slowed somewhat, peering out of the tinted window. A man next to a motorcycle with a woman. His eyes widened slightly with recognition. That was the youngest Thompson girl, and he...

Knives: Stop
the car.

Elendira: Yes, sir.
Outside, Milly was still reeling a bit even when sitting down. She shook her head, coming back again, when she had noticed the lights going out as well. She had felt Wolfwood get on the bike, pushing her forward a bit to make room for himself. Milly jerked her head up, trying to peer through the darkness. What had happened?

Milly: But my parents, my brothers and sisters! What about them? I have to find them...
But before she could move, another car had pulled up next to them. Milly's eyes widened as she recognized the cool, sly face of Millions Knives as he opened the door, stepping outside. All of the families knew about him and how powerful he was...and if she weren't so shaken up, she'd have given him what for, too, since he broke Meryl's heart. But now was not the time for open hostility.
 
As for Knives, he certainly did not care for the welfare of this woman, but he did detest anarchists. He had no problems with criminal activities or the like (since he often participated in it), but anarchists, they disgusted him, mostly because they were often driven by some ridiculous ideal. Still, as he faced the man, he smiled pleasantly, his voice cold.

Knives: Having trouble?

Milly: I'm fine, but something's wrong! The power went out or something, maybe I should go see if my family's handling it all right.
..

She started to try to squeeze out from her position between the handlebars and Wolfwood's body.
 
Well, he hadn't been addressing her, but Knives supposed it didn't matter. Milly obviously didn't seem to know what was going on, but then, he was probably one of the only ones who did. After all, he had contacts spread across the face of the entire planet.

Knives looked at her, his expression impassive. Helping her out of this mess didn't necessarily interest him, but as he looked at the man trying to steal her away on his motorcycle, his lip curled with contempt.

Knives: I suggest you step away from that man and his vehicle and return to your family. You
will regret it if you don't.
 
Wolfwood could tell from Milly's concerned tone of voice and how she wriggled on the seat that he didn't have much time to negotiate this. After Knives pulled up, he looked skeptically at the pretty boy sitting in the car.

Wolfwood: I sugges
t you mind your own business.

Without further ado, he pulled Milly more securely against him, revved the engine and tore off down the street, not putting on the bike's lights so it would be harder to track them. He didn't have far to go, after all.
Milly had been shaken at Knives' warning, but before she could do anything Wolfwood had pulled her firmly against him and roared off on the motorcycle. Her first inclination was to get out at any cost, but his arm was pinning her firmly. She began to struggle.

Milly: Stop it! Let me go, please! Why are you doing this to
me? I've done nothing to you!

She flailed her legs and tried to push back, hoping to get him off balance. She couldn't turn around, though. The struggling and the wind of the ride caused the string of her mask to snap and it clattered to the ground, swiftly left behind. Milly hoped it could be used as a clue.

As much as she tried, Milly couldn't get a good anchor for herself. If she was facing him, maybe she could have punched him out. But as it was...she calmed down a little bit but swore to resist as much as possible.

Milly: Where are you taking me? What are you going to do?
 
As Milly flailed against him, Wolfwood considered his options. They weren't going far and he didn't want to harm the woman if he could help it, but if she was going to endanger them both on the motorcycle with her attempts to resist, he would do what was necessary. He pulled her tighter with one arm and ignored her for the moment, but then she asked a question, and somehow he felt compelled to respond, his voice hard.

Wolfwood: I'm kidnapping you, but the ransom isn't just for your release, it's for the liberation of the countless citizens of New December that your family has gotten rich off of, by taking advantage of them, stepping on them, and refusing to pay attention to the plight of the poor. Your kind gets richer and richer and throws fancy balls and parties and ignores the fact that the average child in your city is malnourished and underfed because of the slave wages your monopolies forc
e their parents to work for.

As he spoke, he got more and more angry and the woman in front of him, and what she represented. They were almost to the warehouse, and, after a series of side alleys and roundabout twists and turns, Wolfwood pulled up alongside the door. He got off the bike and was confronted with Milly's mask-less face. Shocked, he stood confused, mind a complete blank at recognizing the woman who'd saved his life.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
As Zazie led her to his car, Meryl felt slightly uneasy. She really didn't know why, but even she knew better than to just let someone whisk her off her feet within an hour of meeting him. She wished she hadn't left her purse (he hadn't given her any time to fetch it), it had mace in it. She'd stop him right now and ask his true intentions when she noticed that the piazza in the background had suddenly grown dark. She heard stirring and cries from afar.

Meryl: What's that? All the lights went out!
Zazie didn't want to waste time playing nice with Meryl, now that he had her. He pulled a gun.

Zazie: Get in the car, right now.
 
Meryl was utterly speechless and unable to think for a second, but she quickly came back to herself. Half of her brain wanted to kick herself for being so stupid in going out alone with this stranger. But she wasn't so stupid or addled with punch that she knew when she was beaten. She wasn't about to antagonize a man with a gun. She nodded and got into the car. He knew who she was, it seemed, so she briskly took off her mask. Her insides were quivering with fear, but she managed to keep a calm facade.

Meryl: I hope you realize that this will
only cause trouble for you, whoever you are. If you think that you can pull this off scot-free, you're sadly mistaken. You'll be caught.

She swallowed hard. She didn't know where they were going. What if this man tried to take advantage of her? The thought of being so helpless infuriated her. Meryl swore to herself she'd rather die fighting than submit to such a humiliation.
 
Zazie ignored Meryl, keeping the gun trained on her as he pulled away from the piazza. Tires squealing, he made haste to the warehouse.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Wolfwood's voice was cold and Milly had to acknowledge the truth of his words in spite of everything. She knew that her family was rich; she knew the town had an unequal distribution of wealth. Perhaps it wasn't fair; but it wasn't her fault she had been born (so she thought) into the family she had. She enjoyed her opportunities and some luxuries her station had brought, but it wasn't as if she herself had caused all of the city's troubles. Though and adult, she still lived with her family, was the apple of her father's eye, and she tried to live simply as she could.

Still, his words were compelling. Milly swore to herself that if she managed to get out of this, she'd do even more to help the poor, have a talk with her father. But Milly did not appreciate being kidnapped. When the motorbike stopped she was pulled off after him. She saw his eyes blink behind his domino as if he were stunned. But now that she thought about it--her eyes grew wide as she took in his hair, facial shape, slim form.

Milly: You...you are...

She couldn't bear to say his name. She felt her heart breaking. Of all of the people, why did it have to be HIM? Tears threatened to spill over as she finally found her voice.

Milly: I see. Well, you got me. But I'll tell you this, MR. Wolfwood. I don't run any of the family businesses. I hate politics and economics. I'm just my family's daughter, and that's no crime. Also--this scheme of yours won't change anyone's mind, I think. I'm the most harmless one--maybe if you'd gone after one of my brothers, that would have said something, but my family has NINE other children. Are y
ou going to after them next?!
Wolfwood felt wretched as he realized the girl recognized him, and when she said his name, he took off the mask. It was pointless to wear it now.
 
He couldn't help but think how lovely she looked in the moonlight, and although her words weren't lost on him, he still didn't quite believe her saying she was the "most harmless". It was the sort of thing he'd expect. Before he could answer, to try to explain himself, the third operative and Meryl showed up. Wolfwood took in the handsome features of the other man as he forced Meryl out of the car and decided Rai Dei had chosen him wisely. At least he hadn't had to tie up the short girl to get her to come. Then Wolfwood noticed the gun in his hand.

Milly: Meryl, they're
going to hold us for ransom!

Meryl paled a bit but then tossed her head as if she didn't have a care in the world.

Meryl: Fine. I am sure that our families will take care of it...I'm an only child, after all. My Dad won't stand for it. These punks will be sorry.
 
Neither girl wanted to admit it, but they were both much more worried than they seemed. If push came to shove, Milly couldn't help wonder if her family would give up on her, with so many other heirs and all...but Meryl was the sole heiress. There could be tension between the families. She didn't know if they would agree to fight or pay the demands, and if they didn't...she rather not think about that. Meryl turned again to Zazie.

Meryl: And what will you do if our families don't pay the ra
nsom?

Zazie: We'll kill you.

Without ceremony, he pointed Meryl into the warehouse. Wolfwood gave him a look. He was none too pleased with the man's bluntness. Vaguely, he wondered where Legato and Caine were.

Wolfwood: Go ahead and take her in
. We'll join you in a minute.

Zazie leered at Milly and nodded to Wolfwood, completely misunderstanding, and marched Meryl inside. Wolfwood turned to Milly, wanting to comfort her but realizing he was in a no-win situation.
 
Milly watched fearfully for her friend being lead away into the warehouse at gunpoint. Meryl grunted, pushed along, and scowled to mask her fear; Milly yelled after them that Zazie had better not do anything to Meryl. She then turned around, ready to give Wolfwood a piece of her mind, but she, too, couldn't overlook how handsome he was, how elegant he was in that tux.

Wolfwood: Milly, I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was you...But, don't you see, that can't change anything? I have to do this! You know it's true. And don't worry, your parents will pay. Why wouldn't they? They have tons of money. It won't
make a dent in their wallets.

He took a step closer, looking at her wide blue eyes. Her chin quivered slightly and she fought the urge to comfort him. Darn it, no matter how prettily he apologized, he had kidnapped her! Was this some sort of sick Stockholm thing? Milly shook her head slowly, heart heavy with denied love and fear.
 
Milly: Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's all a matter of family politics and if they're willing to give up to your demands.

Wolfwood: You might not believe me, but I didn't plan this...didn't plan meeting you. I didn't know who you were on the street, I just...I just thought you were something special. And when this is all over, maybe you can forgive me.

His last words stung. THOUGHT she was special?! Why did her background really matter? Whether she was called Camille or Milly, wore a dress or wore jeans and a baseball cap, she was the same person. She swallowed hard.

Milly: So I'm nothing more than a spoiled rich girl, now? Mr. Wolfwood, if that's your estimation of me, then I'm not the only shallow one now. I thought you were noble when we first met, but I see now your character doesn't match your looks. I don't see the good in your ideals if you're willing to kill innocents for them. It'll be hard to forgive you if I'm dead!

She couldn't stave off a couple of bitter tears and turned away from him, ready to be led into the warehouse. She would have bolted if she could, but Meryl was in there.
 
Wolfwood took a step back from her, stung by Milly's words. Her eyes glistened with waiting tears and he felt a complete cad. Was she right? Had he been wrong about her before? Or wrong about her now? How could that be? And if he was wrong about her, what about her family? Weren't they already proven to be the real criminals? If he was wrong about Milly, he might be wrong about...well, about everything!

Wolfwood: ...

His blue eyes searched hers, as she turned away, heading to the door. He reached out his hand, wanting to stop her, to say something...Finally, at a loss, he stepped in front of her.

Wolfwood: Dammit, Milly, that's not how it is. I... couldn't kill you. But can't you see--this is bigger than the both of us! There are people DYING because of the injustices your family advocates. I can't let my feelings get in the way. It just has to be this way. It doesn't matter if...

He took her hand, wanting nothing more than to bend her back in his arms and kiss the living daylights out of her, but it was fruitless. She hated him now, and he couldn't blame her.
 
Stopped by Wolfwood's blocking of the door, Milly shared a glance with him, gazing deep into his midnight blue eyes. There was a sea of torment in those eyes, and it almost broke her heart.

Once again, he had a point. Milly swallowed hard, not taking her eyes away. She hated being a cause of torment for him, but there had to be some way to start change in New December without such extreme measures. She wanted to just reach out and embrace him, but refrained.

Milly: I know--it's bad everywhere. I'm sorry it's like that. We should take better care of the poor and not have so much power...but if I could change my Dad's mind, I wouldn't be able to if something bad happens to me. But I don't want you to suffer either!

She clasped his large hands in hers, hating everything about this situation except for him. If only things had been different!

~~~~~~~~~~

Head crushed against the dashboard, Legato slumbered on. Caine pulled up on the opposite side of the warehouse and opened the door to the passenger side, trying to drag Legato out of his seat. The handsome man was dead weight in her arms and she couldn't budge him. Caine was slight of build, and Legato had quite a bit of muscle. Sighing, she started slapping his face, trying to wake him up enough to get him to walk. There was no response.

Caine: Legato! Legato! LEGATO!!!!

Each slap was punctuated by her ascending voice, but the blue haired bon vivante didn't budge. Suddenly, she got worried. What if the stupid guy had OD'd? She turned on the overhead light in the car, and was alarmed to see a small trickle of blood coming from Legato's nose.

Caine: Oh no!
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
Knives watched as the man made off with the youngest Thompson child. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a blur of motion whip past him. He stood there for a few moments before speaking.

Knives: Did you plant it?

Elendira returned to Knives'
side, his expression smug. He nodded, inclining his head slightly.

Elendira: Yes. I planted the tracking device on the
motorcycle.

K
nives nodded once before slipping back inside the car, his attention once more back on the computer screen. He would be able to track the man's vehicle remotely, unless of course they found the tracer. But, it was rather small and inconspicuous so chances of that were slim.

But then, there was still the matter of the escaped experiment. He would have to be dealt with. Knives rubbed his chin, wondering what he should do in the meantime, now that he would soon know where the little anarchists would be hiding. He could always drop an anonymous hint to the police or the families.

He shrugged as the car started up again, Elendira once more back in the driver's seat. Well, watching to see how things played out could also be interesting.

Elendira: Where to, sir?

Knives: Home. I need cleanse myself of the human stench.

Elendira: Yes, sir.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
Back at the piazza, the power had been restored, but everyone was in an uproar. The police were spread thin because of Midvalley had gotten drunk and tried to kill his ex-wife, and there were some bombings in downtown, so the three families gathered together for an impromptu war session.

Mr. T: We have to get our children back!

Mr. S: But have you seen their demands? They're outrageous! If I have to give more benefits and a pay raise to my workers, I'd do it for my girl, but complete liberation and unionization? That'll ruin us!

Mr. B: Besides, should we negotiate with terrorists? That means we'll have gone soft. I want my son, lazy as he is, back as much as anyone else, but there has to be a way.

Mr. T: But who can we turn to? The police are useless right now. We don't know where our children are. I say we
see if they can compromise.

The others grumbled, but at this point it was the best strategy they could come up with. One Thompson suggested hiring a private force to move against the anarchists, a plan that was put in reserve--normally the fathers would have liked it best save for the fact that mobilizing the forces would be time consuming. Lina, who was secretly listening on this conversation, relayed the info to Rai-Dei, but reluctantly. She hadn't counted on the death threat. She hoped that her friends, shallow as they could be, would not be put to death.
 
~~~~~~~~
 
Inside the warehouse, Zazie pointed to a chair.

Zazie: Sit there, rich girl. And shut up.
 
And as for Meryl, she did sit as Zazie commanded, but she hated his heavy-handedness. She bristled.

Meryl: Oh, YOU shut up. No one can hear us anyway. And I tell you, when you're caught, I hope they throw the book at you! You're nothing but trash that use violence to achieve your ends.
 
Zazie cackled loudly at Meryl's brash words. Did this measly human really think she could appeal to a conscience that he didn't have?

Zazie: OK, fine then, if you won't shut up, I'll make you scream!
(evil laughter) Just keep in mind, human, that I would like nothing more than to rid the planet of you and your kind. I'm only doing this for money. I don't have any lofty goals like that sap (he indicated Wolfwood) out there. This is purely business.

Meryl paled a bit more at Zazie's threats but still would not back down. God, even SHE had morals. She looked at Zazie with a mixture of dread and intense loathing. en, to add insult to injury, he bent down by Meryl's ear and whispered, taunting...
Zazie: Did you really think I liked you?

Stung a little but really only made more angry, Meryl curled her lip.

Meryl: What makes you think I'd want to be liked by scum like yourself?

Any other words were cut off, though, by sounds from the other end of the warehouse. She saw someone open a door and, with difficulty, drag in an unconscious form which she quickly recognized. Legato. Meryl stood up, heedless of Zazie. It looked like Legato was in bad shape. Swiftly Meryl went over to them and saw the trickle of blood and the small tremors wracking Legato's body.

Now, Meryl had once been a nurse in training and she knew the signs of OD and bad mixing of drugs when she saw them. She immediately sprung into action. She did not care much for Legato, but it would be bad if he died.

Meryl: Did you sedate him? Put it in the coke? If so, you probably made a bad mix that's easy to OD on. Place him on the floor. I'll see to him. See if you can find me a first aid-kit.

She tilted Legato's head forward so he wouldn't choke on his blood and she checked his pulse. Strong but rather erratic. She had to work fast. She began administrating to him, trying every trick she knew to help stabilize him.

Caine stood over Legato's prone body as Meryl tried to help. Sure, they might have to kill the guy, but he wasn't supposed to die like this! If he wasn't alive, surely the Bluesummers family wouldn't go along with the deal, and then everything, all their carefully laid plans would fall apart!

Zazie fought the urge to just shoot everyone and scowled sexily, straddling the chair Meryl had vacated. This stupid kidnapping and hostage thing was not really his speed.

Caine: Look! He's not breathing!

Sure enough, Legato's chest had stopped rising and falling. What could they do to save him?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The feel of Milly's soft hands on his rough skin sent Wolfwood's senses reeling. He ached inside, with shame for what he was doing to her and with longing for what he wanted to do. But it simply couldn't be. One man's heart was a fair trade, he supposed, for the good that would come of this night. Their cause was just, and if Milly could see that, as she seemed to, than maybe her parents would come around as well. He squeezed her hands back, wanting to pull her close and hold her, smell her hair again like he had when they were dancing, but he didn't dare. His resolve was too fragile to explore such temptations. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Finally, he led her into the warehouse.

Wolfwood
(under his breath): I'm so sorry.

The scene that greeted them was one of chaos, Caine yelling something, Zazie laughing maniacally, and Legato splayed out on the concrete floor, blood on his face. Meryl seemed relatively calm, but "relatively" was the key word. Wolfwood froze and let go of Milly's hands. It wouldn't do to have the others questioning his commitment to the mission.
Milly, senses dulled, stopped short when she saw the chaos. However, it seemed that Meryl was helping. She brought a hand up to her mouth and bit at her nails.
 
Meryl frowned when she saw that her efforts weren't doing much good. She saw very well, even without Caine pointing it out, that Legato's chest wasn't moving. His lungs must be having trouble. Steeling herself, Meryl realized that direct artificial respiration was the best way. She straddled Legato, placing her hands on his chest. His heartbeat was still there, though rapid, so it mainly seemed to be his lungs. She leaned over, pinching his nose, and started giving him mouth to mouth, forming a tight seal so that no air would escape. She gave a few breaths, pushed on his chest, and repeated the process.

(~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Legato was having the strangest dream. First he was going down a dark tunnel. The walls were dripping with something that looked like blood. Then all of a sudden, a piercing light shone in the shadows. But as he headed towards it, he felt his mouth frozen, held in place, and his chest was tight. As consciousness returned, he realized he was kissing someone. They were sitting atop him and instinctively (after all, he was human) Legato returned the kiss, arms encircling his rescuer as Caine looked on, amused.
 
Next time: Nails and nookie!