Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Always ❯ Always ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Always

Her black hair had grown over past year, but no took notice. Her eyes were still gray with a hint of some unknown color. She hadn't grown any, so no one commented. But one person complimented her on all her good properties.

"Vash the Stampede…." Yes that was his name, how she longed to be with him every second of the day, and night. But alas a girl who had died almost 300 years ago had already stolen his heart. She wished she could be that girl but then who would she be in life now.

His hair hadn't grown, no one noticed. His eyes still the same blazing green aqua, he hadn't grown any, and so no one talked about it. But one person took notice in every little change.

"Meryl Strife…" He didn't always call her insurance girl, he really did know her name, and knew it very well. He knew that he might be falling for this one girl that always abused him, and also knew that she was falling even deeper in love with him.

They didn't talk about it, fearing that they might ruin their odd sort of friendship. They even lived together, Milly Thomson accompanied them. And every night, when he was sure she was asleep he would watch her in peaceful bliss.

Every night with Meryl went to bed; she would wait for, him. Just wait for him to arrive. If he took to long then sooner or later she would fall asleep. Wishing she was sleeping in the same bed with him.

Every morning when he woke up, she was always cooking breakfast. She was a good cook, but when Milly had to work over time, her meals always seemed just for him.

One night when Vash was hiding in the shadows in case she woke, he couldn't help but notice just how peaceful she looked when sleeping, but when awake, she was always on edge. She kicked off the cover and lightly moaned his name…Vash…he smiled. He had always loved the way she said his name, and only his name.

Her shirt slightly raised up showing a thin scar that went up from her ribs and slid down across her stomach. He had wondered how she had gotten that scar. But didn't press the matter, if it ever came up. He didn't like discussing his scars ether, and knew it would be an uncomfortable subject.

She knew he was there, she always knew he was there. For when she woke up every morning there was always some trace of him left in her room.

"Vash!" Meryl yelled from downstairs. His name meant so much to her, that it hurt to call it. "Coming!" She heard his voice, it was as soft as snow but yet as dangerous as a lions.

He flopped downstairs, still a bit groggy, from just waking up. When he saw her in the kitchen she was still in her nightshirt and shorts, and listening to the early morning radio. "Good morning!" He chirped walking over to see what she cooking. She was so tiny compared to his big bulk; he could easy pick her up with one hand. "Uuummm! Smells good." She rolled her eyes. "Everything smells good to you." He just smiled and walked over the table and sat down. Would it count if he said that she always smelled good?

After just a few moments of waiting Meryl sat his plate down in front o of him. "Oh! Thanks Mer!" He winched a little he had thought of that name a while ago, but had never used it, in fear she wouldn't like it. "What did you call me?" She asked, trying not to grin, since he had given her a nickname. "Mer?" She just smiled and turned to fix her own plate. He sighed thankfully she didn't hurt him. He had a feeling that he was going to be calling her that for a long time. He had said that to himself out of the blue one night and ever since had called her that when he was certain she couldn't hear him.

After breakfast, Vash cleaned the dishes like Meryl had told him. While he did She invaded his thoughts.

He loved her dearly but they just couldn't be together, he didn't want to hurt her, if he may die while fighting one of the many bounty hunters. He didn't want to hurt himself either, but it looked like it was already to late for that, once she died he would only have memories to live on.

"Oh crap!" He yelled, he had been so busy thinking that he washed a hole in one of the dishes. He looked around helplessly. She would notice it in the trash…. wait not in less he hid it in the trash. He buried the holy dish in the basket and got back to washing like nothing had happened.

"Vash what happened?" Meryl yelled from the hall. "Nothing! It was nothing!" he said gulping as she sounded like she didn't really believe him, when she yelled back "Okay!"

Meryl had been reading on the couch when the light bulb had gone out. And now she was on her hands and knees looking for a good bulb in the hall closet. When she came upon an old picture. It was a picture of her and her family along with Milly. Her heart ached, how she missed them all, but alas they had ALL died of old age. Even her daughter.

She finally found a light bulb and walked back into the sitting area. Hiding the old photo in her pocket. Grabbing a chair she tried to gain her balance on the wobbly old thing. Reaching up, she grabbed hold of it, and jerked her hand back. "Damn…" she said under her breath. It was hot very hot, `"What happened?" She turned her head, and saw Vash. "I burned my hand on the bulb, you baka, what's its look like?" she hissed at him. Being used to her threats he ignored her.

He walked over and barely had to look up at her in the chair, "Let me get it." He picked her up, placing his hands on her sides. She was light just like he always thought. As he put her down she could feel her face burning and slightly turned away, even if his back was turned to her.

He reached up and got the bulb with ease. He gave the dead one to her, forgetting that it would still burn her. "AAHH!" she gave a short yell, dropping the bulb to the ground. Shattering everywhere.

"Whoops. Sorry about that." Was all he could say. He really hadn't meant to but must have forgotten. Her hands were starting to develop red whelps. He grabbed her wrist earning small yelp in the process. "Come with me." He pulled her light form into the kitchen. Pointing a slender finger at her he told her to stay, as if she was dog. He walked over the medicine cabinet, and got some bandages. He walked back over and she just looked at him. His aqua eyes full of concern and yet happiness for being able to help her.

"Hold out you hands." His words were commanding and yet gentle to listen to. Holding her red hands he began his work, gently wrapping the white cloth around her wrist and part of her arm, to prevent movement. "There ya go." He said, when had finally finished. "um thanks…" he just smiled and walked out of the room, slowly. Happy that he could be of some service.

As he walked out he just happen to look down, and found an old piece of crumbled paper.

Picking it up he turned it over. There was the love of his life, with another man, and she was carrying a baby. From it looked like a girl. Their names were in the corner.

Meryl D.

Dave D.

Nicola D.

Mother, father and daughter. "D?" He questioned, himself. She had had a daughter and a husband and hadn't told anyone, she was more like him then he thought. He tucked the images into his pocket, for safekeeping, "Oh Meryl why didn't you tell anyone?" He asked, under his breath.

"What did I not tell anyone?' He jumped. Why had he not sensed her behind him? How long had she been there? "Oh it's nothing." He said hoping she wouldn't press the matter. But his hopes were crushed, he saw it in her eyes, she desperately wanted to know. "Okay, I found this picture on the floor." He handed it to her, hoping he hadn't hurt her in any way, for finding out her secret. She hung her head, not knowing what to think anymore. He knew. The cat was out of the bag.

"I guess I should I told you sooner but it's just painful to talk about." Heavy hands fell onto her shoulders. Head jerking up she was faced with watering eyes of her beloved. "I understand better than you think…" she nodded. Of course she knew about Rem. He had loved her dearly, and she had suddenly died, leaving him by himself again.

"Yes I know you do but there's still one thing you don't know about me…I've kept it to myself for many years, not wanting to trust anyone…I didn't even tell Milly." A crystal tear slipped out of her gray eyes. "I'm sorry. This has never happened to me before. But I had a family, a loving husband and beautiful baby girl, but when she turned 25 we looked exactly the same age, that when knew I just knew it…. I'm more like you than anyone thought…."

…TO BE CONTINUED….