Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Always ❯ Don't tell ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Don't tell

More unshed tears went free sliding down her delicate face. When she felt an ungloved hand touch her face, as if to wipe the pain away. "I'm sorry you lost your family. I know it's very painful when a loved one dies." Meryl didn't want to listen to him anymore, but wanted him to hold her, in his warm embrace for the rest of eternity. Just him. And her….

They fell to the ground. Meryl falling in his lap, her head on his shoulder as she just cried, pouring her heart out. Vash held the back of her head; with an arm around her slim figure.

"Vash…" Her voice was quiet; it held concern for this human, even if he wasn't. But then again neither was she. "Meryl, I'm sorry it's just that… you remind me so much of her. " He had joined her the land of pain of sorrow, which he had visited so many times in his life.

"I'm sorry…." Vash, confused by what she meant, just kept listening only saying, "what for?" She looked up at him. "For bringing back all these awful memories…" She leaned against him, feeling slightly dizzy. Her heart started racing, being this close to him, made her feel so much better, she wanted to kiss him, but restrained himself.

"No, don't be…."

For the rest of the week, no month they barely talked, but like always Vash would still watch her at night, and she would wait, pretending to be asleep.

It was almost 3:00 in the morning. She couldn't sleep. Her heart still ached and her head still reminding her that she might be alone forever.

Finally getting up she walked to her door, getting ready to go downstairs for a drink of water. Her eyes snapped open fully, as his form invaded her vision. He had been standing at her door. His face now looked like a deer that was caught in headlights. "V-V-Vash? What are you doing? Is something wrong?" She was groggy, she would admit that, but right now she wanted her jaw to drop. He had on a white long sleeved top and his regular pajamas bottom.

"Nothing…." His mind raced as he tired to think up an excuse. He had been on his way to check on her when all of sudden the door opened. " I was going to get a drink?" he used the one at the top of his head. She eyed him non-believing. But shrugged it off. "Well than come with me, I was just going downstairs also." She brushed passed him and dragged her body forward and down the stairs. Vash following like an obedient puppy dog.

Meryl was happy to see him even if she saw everyday, but at least once during the night was good enough for her. Grabbing two glasses she filled them some fresh water and handed one to him. He sat down at the table and admired her out of the corner of his eye. She sat in one of the old chairs and starred down at her water. Smirking she remember old times, when she would get mad at him or he would act stupid. The good times. Things were even better now of course, now that she actually lived with him.

"What's so funny?" he asked when he saw smirking. "Nothing, just memories…" she trailed off the pain of her old family coming back and stabbing her, the pain was so intense that she actually dropped her water. It had been sudden and shockful. "Mer?" he raised an eyebrow. When she didn't respond he placed his glass down, starting to urge toward being more concerned.

"Meryl?" he got up only to bend down on his knees in front of her. Her eyes were closed, she was panting lightly, and grabbing at her chest in a repeated motion.

Meryl was tiring to open her eyes but they just wouldn't open, it was as if they were glued shut.

Suddenly everything became even darker, if possible, and just barely felt familiar warmth come up onto her body.

Vash was about call her name again when her whole body loosened up and fell forward. She had fainted. He caught her with ease, but all his mind could think about was what was going on? She's never fainted like this before. He got her in a better position and stood up. "Oh Meryl…what have you done to yourself?" He asked even when there was no one to answer him.

He brushed his pale lips against her forehead and walked upstairs, taking her to his bedroom, since he didn't want to disturb Milly, like he could.

When she awoke she found the room familiar, but yet she had never woken in this one particular room before. Her head practically fell sideways facing the wall. There she saw a red blur, sitting a chair. When her eyes focused he was already invading her vision. Her heart thumped, she was in his room….

How long had she been there? What had happened? All she knew was that she was going downstairs to get something to drink and the next minute she was up here. "Vash?" Her voice barely came out as a whisper. But with his excellent hearing he heard her loud and clear. Being by her side in an instant. "About time you woke up." Was all he had to say, Meryl would have hit him or yelled at him, but something seemed different about him and her this morning.

He was more cheering than usually, and for some reason there was something else in his eyes, she could have seen it a mile away.

"Why am I in here?" She asked sitting up with the help of her beloved, Vash. "Well last night when you caught…. When we went to get a drink you had some sort of an attack, cause you fainted." He didn't take it seriously, but knew that he was holding something back, she could just feel it. Quirking an eyebrow she stopped it before it slid off her shoulders.

"Vash…. Something is wrong I know it." He couldn't fool her, he knew it but it never hurt to try. He hung his head with his eyes cast over and out the window. "Well…" he trailed off not knowing what to say. It sounded so easy to say something when he thought about it, but when he actually tired it was harder than he ever thought possible. "What are you tiring to say?" Meryl was hopeful, maybe he would answer her prayers, and tell her what she wanted to hear.

"I'm not sure," it hadn't sounded truthful, he knew exactly what to say, just didn't know how to form the words the in his mouth, only knew how in his mind. " Vash are you tiring to tell me something important?" She said reaching out and gently stroking his cheek. His skin was soft to the touch, it was like silk. She had felt his skin before but now…

"Yes. Very important. All I know is that the decision lays in you hands, not in mine." He finally looked at her, eyes locking. "Vash?" "Meryl?" They were both longing, and knew it. Both tempted. Meryl's hand had long since fallen back to her side. Her head was spinning she didn't know what to think anymore, all she wanted was Vash. He was confused and yet knew every move she made would tell his future.

He smiled and closed his eyes just before their lips came in contact. He felt dizzy and light headed, her lips were so soft, he wished he could have been there forever. That might even be possible.

Meryl was shocked at his action but enjoyed every minute of it. He tasted like summer and spring, she was no longer alone in life she had someone to spend the rest of eternity with. Her heart was sunk as he pulled away for air. She knew she needed to breath to so she also pulled away.

"Meryl Strife. I love you…." His words were like angels as he said them to her, not anyone else just her. "Vash the Stampede…I love you too…." She flung her arms around his neck, soon feeling hot liquid slide down her cheeks. He hugged her back affectionately, slightly nuzzling the area where his head was. `Thank you for accepting me, I love you even more.' He thought, gazing out the window.

TO BE CONTINUED