Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Always ❯ Past Present and Future ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Past Present and Future

It has now been a year since that one fateful day, Meryl and Vash were an item but when they first got together they both tired to hide it and were always sneaking little kisses and hugs. But when Milly wasn't home that's when they got serious.

But now everything was fine, Vash and Meryl still lived together. Milly had a husband and had moved out a long time ago. They were sad to see her leave but she came back often.

"Vash!" Meryl yelled like she had done so many mornings before. "Coming!" She finally heard back, after a few minutes. Soon hearing him falling down the stairs. "Good morning!" he purred coming up to her and kissing her on the cheek, wrapping his arms around her neck from behind, smelling her short but yet long hair.

"Good morning." He hears her say, "Vash? Do you know what today is?" He seemed to think about it then brightened, "It's our anniversary!" She giggled with how excited he seemed. "Do I get a present?" She asked looking back at him. "Well you wouldn't you like to know?" She play slapped him on the arm, "You'll get it later I promise." She smiled, "Okay, well sit down and I'll go get you your present." In a second he was down in his seat waiting for his breakfast and his `prize.'

She walked back in the room, her hands behind her back. He looked so hopeful; she really hoped he liked it. It had taken her half a years pay to get it. "Here ya go!" She said, pulling it out and watching his face carefully. He took it and looked at the wrapping paper for a second, She had done a wonderful job wrapping it. He tore at the paper and looked at the long box; opening it he saw a solid gold cross, along with the chain that was also gold. Looking closer at the cross he saw that there was writing on it.

"I love you."

"Thanks Mer." He said looking back at her, she had hopeful eyes, "Where's mine?" "Well I said I would I give it to you later, didn't I?" He said getting nervous. She swung around and into his lap, "But I want it now!" She whined, "I gave you yours." She tired to win by hugging him and nuzzling little `areas' throughout his body. In the end he still said no, so she gave up but all day she would ask him about it tiring to guess what it was.

At four o'clock that same day, Vash was wandering around the house when he heard something bump upstairs, and went to see what it was, there he Meryl who was digging through his closet. " Your not going to find it there." He stated startling her, "Well it never hurts to try." She muttered standing up and dusting herself off, "Your carrying it aren't you?" she said poking him, " wouldn't you like to know?" her eyebrow twitched. He was toying with her, " Hey don't worry, you'll get it sooner or later. But you are getting it today." He said picking her up, she had gained weight a little but he didn't say anything, she was still light to him.

" I suggest that you go get ready." He said smiling like an idiot. "What for?" His eyes opened to reveal trickery. "We're going out to dinner." She brightened; once she was finished he would take her out and give her, her present. "Will I get my present?" wrapping her arms around his neck. "Maybe."

About two hours later, Vash was waiting downstairs rocking back and forth on his feet. He really hoped that this evening went well and that she would like his gift, it had taken him almost year to pay off. "I'm ready." Her voice was soft and he could easily smell her perfume from the bottom of the stairs. Turning he stopped rocking a just starred.

She was in a black halter dress, little fake diamonds leaving a trail on one side of her stomach, it was low in front than touched the ground in the back, also wearing black silk gloves that stopped just above her elbow. Dark hose and black shoes making her seem taller, sparkling earrings and a touch of make up. To Vash she was the most beautiful thing in the world, most other men might think that just from looking at her, but for him it was different.

She slowly came down the stairs and soon stood in front of him. "What do you think?" she asked glad she wearing blush. "Wow!" he finally said, "Your…. PERFECT!" he said, "That's the point, I tired anyway, from what it looks like you just took a shower and put on her trenchcoat. He sweat dropped and then after a few minutes bent down for a kiss, standing back up with lipstick on him. "Vash?" he looked at her, "You have… here I'll get It." She said reaching up and wiping it way with part of her glove.

"Shall we go?" Vash said offering her his arm. "Yes we shall." They walked out the door and the to the restaurant, in Vash's car of course.

The next morning Meryl woke up to the thumping of someone's heart. She let it sooth her for a bit before she opened her eyes. Vision blurry for only a second then the uncombed hair of her love came into view. "Good morning." He said kissing her on the forehead, and running his hand over her hair. "Good morning and good night." She said lying her small head back down on his chest. "No you don't, you didn't get a good look at your present last night, I thought you wanted to see it so badly." He said rubbing her back. Her gray eyes flew open and she looked up at Vash, her face full of surprise of shock. "You gave me my present last night, what was it?" he had known she wouldn't have remembered, he hadn't really given it to her it still lay on the dresser.

"Let me up, and close your eyes." He got up and Meryl closed her eyes tight. Hoping that it was what she wanted. She could hear her heart thumping in her ears she was a bit nervous, but that wasn't going to stop her from saying….

"You can open your eyes now." Vash said getting on his knees in front of her. She opened her eyes and there, in a blue velvet box was the most glorious ring she had ever seen.

Vash had never felt this way before, his stomach felt like it was going to digest itself, he was so nervous. He watched her expression carefully; the look in her eyes was so….

"So what do you say?" he said grinning with the look on her face. She looked up at him. " I would be a fool not to say yes!" she said hugging him, he sighed and wrapped his lanky arms around her slim figure, his preys were answered. He finally had someone to spend the rest of eternity with. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you…." He kept repeating, "I love you Vash." He smiled, "I know you do."

…. TO BE CONTINUED….