Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Hunting Two ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Spider Games
 
---
 
Clinging dishes filled the kitchen as Milly gently scrubbed the each one to its most brilliant shine. She hummed quietly trying to distract herself from the living room. Her middle-big brother had told her that it was bad to eavesdrop, but every bone in her was itching to know what was going on. Sempai had left only a few moments ago and Milly was growing steadily eager. She hoped everything would work out with her and Mr. Vash. They both deserved happiness and Milly had a strong feeling that they would find it with each other. Of course, if Mr. Vash ever broke Meryl's heart after they were together, he'd have something worse than bounty hunters after him. But she knew Mr. Vash would never hurt Meryl on purpose or for his own selfish reasons, his heart was too big for that. He wouldn't even hurt a fly, in fact, Milly was sure he would gladly share his donut with it.
Still, she had a tough time understanding why so many people wanted to hurt him. Sure he's an outlaw, but that wasn't his fault. He was only trying to protect everyone and in return they feared him and scarred his body. Even Mr. Vash's brother, Mr. Knives wanted to hurt him. Milly frowned at that. Sibling rivalry was just silly! She had never fought with her siblings nor had she ever seen any of her family members fight. Even the thought seemed wrong. Brothers should never fight. They were family they should be able to work it out. Milly found it was always best to work out problems out over a big bowl of her mother's banana-chocolate pudding. Speaking of which…
Milly walked over to the miniature refrigerator swung open the door brightly. No matter how big her dinner may have been, she always had room for banana-chocolate pudding. She shivered slightly as a drift of chilly air brushed past her. Hardly caring for the other neatly stacked leftovers, Milly pushed and shoved until she had the familiar yellow and brown cup in her hand. It wasn't exactly mother's but it will have to do. Grabbing a newly rinsed spoon she sat down at the battered table. Beaming she dug a small mountain of sweet heaven. Yes, pudding definitely solved all problems… Milly's face softened. Then… then why were her eyes stinging? Why were tears flowing down her face? Why did her heart ache so much? If her pudding could solve her problems why… why was Mr. Wolfwood gone?
A repressed sob shook the naive girl. Silent tears from tightly closed eyes dripped steadily into the trembling cup. Suddenly the velvety jelly lost all its sweet taste. It was bitter now, unbearably bitter. The pudding was loosing its comforting taste to Milly a great deal lately. She was beginning to believe that the saccharine dessert would offer her no solution.
Everyone in the house reminded her of the Priest. The thought of what her Sempai and Mr. Vash might have reminded of what she lost. The thought of Mr. Knives brought back the truth he told her about himself, about his purpose. Milly chocked another sob. No. She couldn't do this, not now. Not when Meryl could walk in anytime with good news. She let out a dry laugh, doubting if Mr. Vash would let Meryl go so soon. Wiping her stained face quickly and began to wash the spoon fiercely before any more sweet memories could torture her.
-
Vash the Stampede stood in at the threshold of the light starved room staring at his brother. The glare of Millions Knives pierced all the emotions pooling in his icy eyes. Too many flashed by too quickly, Vash almost grew dizzy. He stepped inside, closing the door behind him. Knives' eyes narrowed, menacingly. Vash stopped, he wasn't ready for this. He thought he was, but… Knives wasn't supposed to gain consciousness so soon. He knew Knives wouldn't heal like humans, but it was still too soon even for what he was. Vash sighed mentally, now was not the time. Knives was awake now, he had to go from there. He rehearsed what he would say to his brother many times before, but now his memory betrayed him. His brother's glare broke bringing Vash out of his thoughts. The bed protested loudly as Knives turned to face the wall. An involuntary wince of pain escaped him, Vash reached out a hand.
“Knives…”
“Don't.” Knives hissed.
The hatred in his voice polluted every corner of the room. But thrown in it was a shot of pain and betrayal. Vash winced inwardly, but he kept his face blank in the dimness. Slowly he walked to head of the bed, pulled a chair to him and sat down.
“Knives, ple…”
“I said DON'T!” Knives bellowed.
He turned with the blink of an eye. He supported himself with one arm, while the other held a fist full of Vash's shirt. The outlaw didn't flinch, just looked on at his wounded brother. They stayed as such for a while, Knives slicing into aqua eyes and Vash staring impassively. Knives' supporting hand trembled in agony and with a small cry of pain he fell back down, releasing the Typhoon. Neither sibling spoke as Knives tried to regain control over his breathing.
“You shot me again, Vash.” Knives said, now facing the wall above him.
“Yes, I did.” Vash replied, all emotion drained of his voice.
Silence hung heavily between half plants. It dragged out for what seemed like ages before Knives spoke again.
“Why?” he asked his voice matching his brother's “To save them?”
The last word leaked with such malice, it made Vash sick. Taking a deep breath he answered,
“No Knives, to save you.”
Knives faced Vash at his words with an emotion he himself couldn't recognize.
“Save me?”
“Rem asked me to.”
The injured genocide stared at him. Suddenly a hint of amusement played in his eyes. Slowly he grinned, then she snickered and before long he was laughing. It wasn't a dry laugh or a lifeless chuckle. It was a loud, full hearted laugh. It was a laugh cold enough to freeze over the fires of Hell.
“The final wish of a dying woman,” Knives said, chuckling through the bitter air “you're a classic, Vash.”
Vash said nothing. He only allowed a shadow to cross over his eyes, before he spoke again.
“I want you to make me a promise, Knives.” he said.
Knives stopped laughing, catching the steady yet serious tone in Vash's voice.
“What?”
“I want you to promise me you won't kill anyone, anymore.”
Millions Knives stared blankly at his brother, unable to register what he had just said. How could he ask him to promise that? How did was expect him to change his dream to create their Eden? He was doing it for the both of them. He was creating a Paradise for themselves and their Plant siblings. He trying to rid the planet of the vermin called humans. They were nothing but parasites, leeching off of the enslaved angels. Why the hell couldn't Vash see that?
Anger fused itself with Knives' stomach. He opened his mouth to lash out but restrained at the feathery knock on the door.
“Va…Vash?”
The voice was soft and hesitant, it only made Knives angrier. With a twist of pure disgust, he glared at Vash, who simply got up and opened to the door.
A blanket of light pored into the room. Meryl stood with a pathetic disguise of bravery over her face. Vash looked down at her and smiled weakly. Meryl's face fell. She had come up here to be reassured, not have her fears confirmed.
“Vash, is… is he really…?”
“Yeah.”
He could feel Knives' ferocity reeking in his mind. It wasn't safe here for her, at least not until he was Knives would hurt anyone. It wasn't safe for here Milly either. They had to leave before they got hurt.
“Meryl,” he said looking square in her stormy eyes “you need to leave.”
“What? No! I'm not leaving you here…”
“Meryl, please.” he begged. Immediately the mask dropped, replaced by the fear and worry that were hidden underneath. Vash took a soft breath; it was strange to her like this.
“You need to leave as soon as you can. Just for a few days…maybe, but you need to go. Take Milly with…” he stopped. His face went blank. He just stared at her, eyes unfocused.
“Vash?”
Vash didn't say anything at first but then a shade of a smile graced his face,
“Milly.”
“Wha…?”
“Milly,” he whispered quickly “I need you to get Milly.”
Meryl opened her mouth to protest but he cut her off and shut the door. Vash took another breath a let it out, he hoped to God that his plan would work.
“So, what did your pet want?” asked Knives distastefully.
Vash ignored the question; instead he turned around with a question of his own,
“How about we play a game, Knives?”
Knives looked at Vash quizzically, unsure if he'd heard right.
“A game?”
“Yes, a game. And if you loose, you make the promise.”
The wounded brother thought for a second. The request was strange, other than the fact that it was made so abruptly. Vash had never won a game he played against Knives, and Vash knew that too. So why was he asking? There was something definitely behind the challenge, but Knives wasn't planning on passing up such a good opportunity.
“Fine Vash, I'll play, but what happens if I win?”
“We'll see when you win.”
Knives smirked, “You seem very confident about yourself brother. What game are we playing?”
“Chess.”
Knives grinned. Vash was sure to loose, it was his worst game. So why play that game? Had he gotten better? No matter, he thought, I'll still beat him.
The sides of Vash's lips curved into a mischievous grin, Who said I was playing against you, Knives?
-
Meryl stared at the closed door with her mouth agape. How dare he? Here she was worried about him and he has the nerve to shut the door in her face! She shot a death glare towards the door. The urge to walk in and beat the needle brained idiot to a pulp was tempting. The only thing stopping her from doing so was his odd request. It was how bizarre how quickly his mood, features and pasture changed. Meryl growled in frustration, no matter how many times she witnessed these changes, she never could understand how he did that. Even still, she couldn't understand why he wanted her to get Milly. It was literally out of the blue. One minute he was telling her to leave the next he wanted Milly. Meryl fumed, she was never going to understand.
Meryl made her way quickly to the living room where she found Milly taking up the whole couch. Her back was turned, but Meryl could still make out the small black ball of purring fur she was stroking. Her posture was… different, almost sad. She had her head leaning on the wall of the sofa and she was hunched over. Meryl took a worried step toward her friend,
“Milly?”
The tall girl turned around at the sound of her voice.
“Oh, hello Sempai!” she chirped. “How'd it go with Mr. Vash?”
Meryl looked at her for a moment before answering.
“I couldn't tell him Milly…”
Milly shot up from the hideous green sofa. The yellow eyed feline in her lap jumped and fell perfectly on its feet and scurried away. The brunette gave the petite woman a sugary stern look.
“Sempai, I'm really disappointed in you! You told me…”
“Yes, I remember Milly,” Meryl said quickly “but it just so happens that Knives picked the same day to regain consciousness.”
Milly stared at Meryl, trying to put two and two together. Suddenly her face lit up as her clapped her hands merrily.
“Oh Sempai, that's wonderful news! Does Mr. Vash know?”
Meryl gaped at her, wonderful news? Does she know who she was talking about? She sighed to herself at the question, of course she knew, and of course she was happy, that was just Milly. But she still couldn't help worry about Milly's possible feelings towards Knives. The deceased Priest was bound to come up sooner or later, if they weren't all dead by then. Meryl shook her head, she couldn't concern herself with such thoughts now.
“Ma'am?”
“Milly, Vash wants to see you.”
“Oh? Why Sempai?”
Meryl folded her arms with a cross look, “How should I know? All he told me was, no, ordered me to get you and then shut the…”
She was cut short by the strong pull of the arm.
“Well c'mon Sempai! Let's go find out what he wants!” Milly said with a bit more cheer that Meryl wanted to hear.
-
The two Bernadelli agents stopped abruptly in front the twins' room. Milly tapped lightly on the door eager to know why Mr. Vash had called her. Countless number of questions were running through her mind, the good and the bad. Despite the chaos, she paid no attention, simply held a strawberry covered smile on her lips. A few moments later the door opened revealing Vash the Stampede.
“Milly, good you're here.”
“You wanted to see me Mr. Vash?” Milly asked sweetly.
Vash nodded, “Yes, Milly, do you still have the chess board that you bought?”
Meryl shot him a questioning look, but decided to keep her mouth shut.
“Chess board?”
“Yes.”
Milly thought for a second then nodded.
“Good,” Vash said, almost reveled, “can you get it?”
With a quick nod and a warming smile Milly dashed off to the room her and Meryl's room. She didn't bother analyzing why Vash wanted her chess. She guessed he wanted to play with his brother and simply passed it of their way of solving problems. It was their banana-chocolate pudding. Milly swiftly rummaged through the cramped closet. There! It was right where she had left it, next to the giant, well strapped, cross. Milly grabbed the board and hurried back. She found Meryl glaring coldly at the infamous blonde.
“Here you go, Mr. Vash!” she cheeped, handing him the board.
“Thanks, Mil…” Vash stopped looking at the object in his hands “Milly, where are the chess pieces?”
“Oh, you needed them too?” said Milly confused. A brief pause settled between the three of them as the raven haired agent and the outlaw gaped at her in disbelief.
“Yes, Milly” replied a patience-worn Meryl “when someone asks for a chess board they usually want the playing pieces too.”
“Well, I'm sorry Sempai. I just thou…”
“Just get the pieces, Milly”
“Yes ma'am, right away!” said Milly and darted off.
With in moments the tall brunette returned with a rectangular box. Handing it to Vash she wished him the best of luck with the game.
“Actually Milly, you're the one playing.”
“What?” Milly flustered.
“What?” Meryl burst out.
What?” a galled voice shot out from the darkness.
Three heads spun around to see Millions Knives on his side staring, shocked and dumbfounded.
“You have to be joking, Vash,” said Knives, appalled. “You're seriously not going to let a filthy spi…” suddenly he stopped. He glared dangerously at Vash. Milly felt Meryl move for the derringers. The spiky haired gunman narrowed his eyes and instantly Knives' face hardened. His eyes flashed to the two agents welling with disgust, but his attention was quickly brought back to his brother. He sneered and shot daggers form his icy eyes. Milly watched the communication with utter interest. She had a distinct feeling as to what was going on, but she didn't want to voice anything to her quick-tempered partner.
Both the women stared astonished at the various emotions that flashed like an old projector. Finally Knives let out a frustrated breath and a gritted agreement. Exhaling, Vash turned to his friends. He motioned with his hand for them both to enter and tuned on the much needed light. Milly bounced in with a smiled that promised nothing but sunshine and blue skies, followed by short, glaring, violent storm.
-
Meryl Stryfe didn't like this; she didn't like this one bit. She was standing next to the Sixty Billion Double Dollar man watching, quite possibly, the last chess game she would ever see. It had only been a few minutes that the game had began between Knives and Milly, but she was growing more and more anxious. Oh how she hated the man she loved right now. What the hell was he thinking? Nothing that happened in the last hour made sense. Why did he want Milly, of all people, to play chess with Knives? Why was he even thinking about chess? Why was chess even in the picture? She asked him what he was planning but his only reply had been to trust him. Trust him? Meryl though slightly irritated, trust him, my ass. She stared at the Stampede through the corner of her eyes. His face was hard set; she couldn't read anything, nor did she bother to try. His aqua orbs shifted constantly at the pieces calculating every possible outcome for each of the moves made. Meryl sighed inaudibly and turned back to the match. I'm never going to understand.
Meryl held the derringers in her hands tightly. She needed the reassurance of the small weapons now more than ever. Even if Milly was seemed naïve and gullible, Meryl knew the strength of her perceptiveness. She had watched the simple-minded girl play many times and never had she seen her loose. So if Milly did win, she didn't think Knives would accept defeat like a good sport. But what happens if she does loose? Something told her that there was a lot riding on this match. Meryl bit her lip. Even though she had faith in her best friend, she couldn't help but wonder if she was underestimating the madman. After all, he was Vash's brother and he had managed to cause so much chaos and destruction. She eyed Knives curiously yet carefully. Every trace of disgust and hatred was wiped clean off his face, taken its place was undisturbed concentration. Since she and Milly had set foot in the room, his face had been a carpet of distaste, even after the game started. When he realized, however, that Milly wasn't as stupid as he thought his entire participance changed. He focused on the game more intently; he made his choices more carefully. It was as if he was completely different person with in a matter of seconds. It was truly frightening how much he reminded her of a certain gunman.
Vash shifted next to her pulling her out of her thoughts. Meryl looked at him, surprised to see a twinkle in his eye. She snapped her head back to the chess board just as Milly made her move. The childlike brunette smiled delightfully at a flabbergasted platinum blonde.
“Checkmate, Mr. Knives.”
Meryl tightened her hold on her guns.