Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Hunting Two ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Permanent Request
 
---
It wasn't possible. No, there was just no way. Knives stared at the scene before him, trying desperately to find an alternative for the outcome. There was none, he and his king were surrounded. How could he loose? He was playing against an inferior being. He was playing chess! It was surely a game too complex for a spider to comprehend, let alone win. But, the human had won and he had lost. Millions Knives had lost to a human, a human woman. He had been defeated for the second time in less than a month. He looked up at the human before him. She was quite large, for her kind. She was smiling gleefully at him, happiness gushing from the curves of her face. It made his stomach turn. Knives looked away, distaste fresh on his features, when she spoke,
“Good game Mr. Knives.” she said, the smile never parting, “You're a good player, I hadn't had such a tough game in years!”
Knives looked at her. She was mocking him. This spider was mocking him! His insides twisted, it was bad enough that he had lost, but he was not going to be humiliated by garbage. But, what could he do now? He had been lying awkwardly on the bed even while playing. He was too weak to move, and he had no desire to aggravate hid wounds. He had no choice but to make his brothers blinded promise.
As though reading his mind, Knives had complete confidence he did, Vash spoke up,
“You lost Knives.”
“Thank you for stating the obvious.” Millions hissed shooting him a glare.
Vash ignored him “Now, do you promise?”
Knives pierced a little longer at his brother. He wasn't going to admit defeat so easily, especially to Vash.
“If I don't?” challenged Knives, “What if I kill her ri…”
The chance to finish was snatched away ferociously as Knives found himself staring down the cold barrel of a gun. He was surprised at the speed that this human maneuvered. Cocking an eyebrow he followed the hand up the arm and the curve of the shoulder to look at face of the weapon's owner. It was the other one, the shorter one. Her grey eyes narrowed at him when she met his pale blue orbs. He could feel her hatred for him like a bright beacon. Knives wasn't sure if this was supposed to aggravate him or frighten him, because it accomplished neither. He looked back at the weapon it was shaking under her grip. Knives shifted a dry laugh, she was terrified. Her knuckles had turned ghost white, her finger was trembling on the trigger. Knives smirked, she wouldn't kill him.
From the edge of his eyes, Vash moved coming up close behind her. Slowly he lifted a hand to her forearm, Knives twitched. The human stiffened, but quickly relaxed at the realization.
“Meryl,” he said softly, “put the gun down.”
The short one didn't acknowledge his request. Her frigid glared was still fixed on him and her midget of a gun still pointed in between his brows. Knives sniffed, what had his brother expected? Did he think that such irrational beings would listen to him? Humans were stupid, panicky and react without thought. He didn't expect any less from this one…
Then the small weapon was gone, leaving him staring blankly at the empty space. The human's hand hung limply at her side mimicking her head. Her dark hair covered her eyes and her breathing was forced to steady. Swiftly she turned and paced out the door. The tall human stood up calling out and hurried after her leaving Knives and his brother alone.
Knives let out a deep breath. He was glad they were gone sharing the same air as them was starting to suffocate him. He looked back at his outlaw brother. Vash was gazing at the floor, his aqua eyes darkened, at the spot where the human stood. Knives' face twisted, unable to believe the thought that was running through his mind… The idea was nauseating. He couldn't grasp such a thought. He could sense Vash's hushed thoughts. His emotions switched simultaneously, taking a hold and releasing. Vash didn't seem to know what to feel. Knives lay back on his bed; he couldn't look at his brother any longer. He focused his attention on the neutral ceiling. Vash shifted a moment later. He strolled up to him and faced down. He opened his mouth but Knives cut him off,
“I give you my word, Vash.” he clenched through his teeth.
The Stampede looked fixedly at the broken half-plant, unsure if he heard right. Knives closed his eyes, barricading his mind. He heard Vash let out an emotionless breath, then a series of light footsteps followed and the creak of the door. He didn't hear the door squeak shut, his brother was still there. Eventually the faint click echoed through out the room, abandoning the defeated one. Knives emptied his thoughts; he didn't want to think about anything, he'd had enough for today.
-
Days passed since Knives regained his consciousness. He was healing quite nicely now that he was awake. The treatment from his twin, as much as he hated to admit, helped considerably. Vash brought him food three times everyday always making sure he finished each bite despite how angry he got. Of course the first few days Knives hadn't been so cooperative. He had refused to eat his meals. He would just glare at the perfectly made dish until Vash assured him that it wasn't poisoned. He didn't believe that, especially if it was made by his brother's human pets. But even the great Millions Knives could only fast for so long. His hunger had taken such a strong hold on him that he went against his prideful judgment and devoured his and Vash's meal in a matter of seconds. To his surprise his heart didn't stop, he wasn't paralyzed nor was his air way constricted. His actions left Vash laughing and saying something about an insurance girl seeing him eating donuts. Knives just shrugged it off. Although he refused to admit it, even to himself, the meal had been delicious. And almost each one after that was just as good.
After that day, his spiky haired sibling seemed to be in a better mood. He would smile idiotically at him as he ate. He would stay a little longer after Knives completed his portions, recalling every, small, pathetic detail of the few hours they were apart. Sometimes he would talk about his spider friends, as he liked to call them. He would talk especially about the short one, Maryiel or Miryl. It made Knives sick to his stomach, it was beyond wrong, but he forced himself to remain quiet. He, however, was more interested in the large one, Willy, or something along those lines. He had never lost a game of chess in his life and she had managed to wipe the floor with him in fifteen minutes. Even the low life captain of the Seeds ship had never managed that. But from what he heard, she was utterly brainless. She didn't know one thing from another most of the time, but she was very apparently perceptive. Knives snorted a perceptive spider? Vash was either being modest or he himself was becoming senseless.
It was also quit noisy outside the walls of his shared room. Usually the shrill sound of a female voice would pierce his sleeping thoughts. At the receiving end would almost always be his fool of a brother. Knives couldn't understand how he could tolerate the vermin. If he just allowed him to be rid of these pests, he would never have to go through such abuse. But Knives had a loathing feeling that Vash did it on purpose.
 
A soft knock on the door brought Knives back to the present. He looked at the small clock near his bed, it was ten fifteen. Knives furrowed his brows it was much too early for lunch. What did Vash want now? As much as he loved his brother, he was somewhat getting tired of hearing him talk. Knives remained quite, hoping his brother would get the message. Moments passed as silence once again occupied the room. The healing blonde turned back to the window to gaze at smoky sky.
A storm was headed towards the town, Vash had told him during breakfast. The wind was blowing hard and the streets were abandoned. Sand was flying fast causing whirlwinds of dust to sprout hear and there. He sighed; this was definitely not a good day to go out. Knives was tired of his room and wanted so much to breath fresh air, he was well enough to walk without Vash's help. Of course the small window in his chamber brought in an occasional breeze, but sticking his head out wasn't as satisfying as actually being out. The only factor that was bothering him was the spiders. But what choice did he have? He made his brother a promise, and even after a century and a half later he still couldn't change his mind. Maybe if he played along with Vash's little request, the spiky haired blonde will see the truth by himself. Still just the thought of them made him sick.
Suddenly the door creaked behind him, Knives felt a familiar presence.
“What are you doing here?” he asked grinding his teeth.
“Oh, you're awake.” said an unsurprised, sickeningly sweet voice, “I thought you were asleep, Mr. Knives.”
Knives turned to look at the human standing by the entrance. The tall insect was holding a tray of food with a stupid smile on her face. Knives wasn't very hungry but he still lost his appetite. Why was she bringing him lunch anyway? Where was Vash? Knives twisted his face; his lovely brother was probably with the short spider of his. Knives immediately closed his eyes and winced, desperately regretting his thoughts. He quickly cast off the gross images as he felt the human advanced towards him. He snapped open his eyes and daggered at her.
Don't come near me.”
The large spider stopped. For a second the smile on her face disappeared. She looked like she was trying to figure out why he was angry. That cherished second, however, didn't last long. She tilted her head and slapped on a double coat of honey on her new smile.
“Are you still grumpy about our game Mr. Knives?”
Knives stared at her. Grumpy? Was he grumpy? Despite his ice cold glares, the vermin walked to him.
“Well if it makes you feel any better, Mr. Knives, I've lost too, before.”
Did it really seem like he cared who beat her? Oblivious, she went on.
“My papa was the first one to beat me in chess. He was one who taught me how to play, and no matter how hard I tried I could never beat him!”
The human set the tray down on the small table. She was either very brave or very stupid to be so close to him. She didn't seem to fear him at the least.
“And the other person I lost to,” she said widening her grin, “was me.”
Knives' eyes widened. Had he heard her right?
“It's true,” she said nodding her head “I've played so many times against myself, but I never win!”
The platinum blonde gaped at her. Vash wanted to her species to go on? Knives wondered if she even knew what just came out of her mouth. Knives looked at her as she continued to smile at him stupidly. Guess not. She picked up a full plate from the tray and held it out to him.
“I'm not hungry.”
The plate lingered in front of him for a few moments then vanished. It was then replaced by a small cup of soft, creamy white, substance and a spoon.
“Are you deaf?” he growled “I said I'm not hungry”
This time the cup stayed. Knives narrowed his eyes at her. The human didn't budge. She stood with her arm outstretched firmly holding the cup. Knives looked away; he didn't want to waste his energy on garbage. Within seconds the cup was right back in his face. Knives let out an angry breath, she didn't know went to get the message.
 
“I wish you'd stop doing that, Insurance girl.”
Meryl turned her gaze away from the stairs, glaring. Vash sat on the sofa stuffing his face with Milly's first and last (Meryl was going to make sure of it) invention, pudding-filled donuts.
“Doing what?” Meryl asked dangerously.
“Starwing.” muffled Vash, “You ceep looking uf the stairs af if you're waithing for something.”
Meryl stared at the outlaw, both disgusted at his actions and trying to understand what he just said.
“Yeah,” she said finally “I'm waiting to hear Milly screaming.”
Vash sighed picking up another cream-filled goodness.
“C'mon Meryl, she's fine.” he said biting off a piece of the donut “He promised he wouldn't hurt anyone.”
The disaster investigator nodded slightly, unconvinced, and looked back at the stairs. She really believed that Knives wouldn't change but she didn't say anything. Since the day he woke up she had been trying to avoid him and the subject of him. Vash was afraid she loathed him as much Knives loathed all humans. Milly however was as cheery and as glad as ever. She would ask how he was doing every morning, evening and night. She even offered to take him food today. Vash thought for a second, it was a strange request. It wasn't even time for lunch yet and he could've sworn she winked at Meryl before she dashed up the stairs leaving them alone.
“Vash?”
The Humanoid Typhoon looked up, chewing on the last of his donut.
“Before Knives woke up,” Meryl went on, “you were going to tell me something. What was it?”
Vash narrowed his eye brows recalling the incident. Suddenly he smiled toothishly and ran his prosthetic hand through his hair.
“I just wanted to say thanks.”
“For what?”
“For telling Knives and I stay here and for taking care of us. You're a good friend, Meryl.”
The smile that crept onto Meryl's face disappeared. But it was quickly renewed.
“Well I couldn't leave the Gunsmoke's biggest disaster to run around, now could I? I have a job to do”
“No, I guess…”
Vash was cut off by a thunderous knock on the door. Both of them turned at the sound. Who would be out in a day like this? The wind was howling madly and the sand was ripping through roughly. Vash moved his left arm in front of him ready to defend if need be. He nodded to Meryl before to open the door.
A young boy with red hair, large glasses and freckles on his cheeks and nose stood against the powerful wind. He was having trouble keeping himself on the ground as he struggled with the large bag on his side.
“Sorry for the intrusion, ma'am!” the boy shouted over the gust, “but I believe this is your mail!”
Vash relaxed, and walked up behind Meryl. The boy pulled out a small envelope from the bag and handed it to the insurance agent. She stared at the envelope for a moment than looked up at the boy and thanked him. Quickly, she shut the door and walked back to the couch. Furiously, she ripped open the seal and slipped the folded piece of paper out.
“Who's it from?” asked Vash, surprised at her sudden impatience.
“Bernadelli.” She said unfolding the letter.
Vash's stomach sunk, what did that mean? Was she leaving? The scurry of footsteps drew Vash's attention to the stairs. Milly descended quickly and rushed over to Meryl's shoulder.
“What does it say Sempai?”
Meryl remained quiet. Her eyes darted at every sentence as she scanned the neatly typed letter. Slowly she narrowed her brows and pressed her lips together. She wiped her face blank and carefully brought the letter down to her lap.
“Sempai?”
Without a word, Meryl handed the paper to Milly. The tall girl hesitated before taking it and began to read. She too scanned the writings quickly, but her reaction was the complete opposite of Meryl's. Her face brightened as she clapped her hands together.
“Oh, Sempai!” she chirped, eyes glittering.
“I can't believe it either.” said Meryl.
Vash stood in impatient silence waiting for an explanation. Suddenly Meryl turned to Vash and smirked.
“Well Mr. Stampede today is your lucky day.”
She handed the letter to him. One bolded sentence caught Vash's attention immediately, his eyes widened.
“The Bernadelli Insurance Company requests that you, Meryl Stryfe and Milly Thompson, trail Vash the Stampede, permanently until further notice.” he read aloud.
He looked up at the insurance girls, one with a joyous grin on her features and the other with an irritated yet warm smile.
“Looks like we`re stuck with you.” the petite woman said crossing her arms.
“Aww, man!” he wined, “Just when I thought I…”
A booming pain shook Vash as he found himself on the floor. Meryl stood over him, eyes red and face mirroring the devils'.
“What did you say, needle brain?”
“Sorry.” he squealed, nursing the growing bruise on his head..