Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Life Thereafter ❯ Sorry ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:How I wish I owned Trigun. Sadly, I own it not.
 
A/N:OVER 3000 WORDS! I never expected it to get this long! Don't get used to it, though. I'm sure the next chapter will be back down to 2000.
 
 
Sorry
 
“Sempai? Why are you sitting out here alone?”
Meryl cracked her eyes slightly open into slits. Millie was staring down at her from her towering height, a concerned look on her face. Meryl closed her eyes, then opened them. Millie was still in her work clothes, her long brown hair damp and matted with sweat, both arms holding bags of groceries with seemingly no effort whatsoever. Her normally bright and cheerful gaze was clouded over with curiosity and...worry.
Meryl sat up stiffly. She was still in the rocking chair. Judging by the suns' positions in the sky, she had been there for several hours at least. The suns' heat had probably lulled her to sleep. She also noticed a warmth radiating in her lap. As she looked down, she saw Kuroneko curled up on her lap, sleeping soundly.
She smiled and stroked the cat lightly. Kuroneko cracked his large yellow eyes open into slits and nuzzled her fingertips, purring softly. Her smile widened slightly, but it was more of a sad smile than anything.
“Sempai?” Millie questioned again.
Meryl blinked. “Oh!” she said, startled. “I'm sorry, Millie! I just...zoned out there for a minute.”
Millie looked at her oddly. “Uh huh...”
Meryl looked down at Kuroneko's happy form. She scratched the back of his soft, furry ears. “You know,” she informed him, “you can't sit there forever, Kuro, as much as I'm sure you'd like to. There are things I need to take care of.”
Kuroneko blinked several times before lifting himself up, yawning, stretching, his claws digging a little into Meryl's thighs, and then leaping lightly off of Meryl's lap. He stalked away, tail straight up in the air as he disappeared behind the corner of the house.
Meryl sighed. She wished she could be like Kuroneko. He didn't worry. He always had someone to feed him. He always had someone to care for him. He always had a place to stay. Everything was always given to him. Even love. And for that, Meryl envied him.
She wished someone would take care of her. She wished she didn't have to worry about rent, her job, having enough food to put on the table, an idiotic broomhead, and the destruction of the human race by the twin brother of the aforementioned idiotic broomhead. Meryl rubbed her brow. Why couldn't things be simple like they were three years ago when she first met Vash?
Meryl grimaced. Because life was unfair. Because life didn't give a damn about your feelings. Because life had it's own rules, rules that dictated your life, and if you didn't learn them, you got stomped. Hard.
And last but not least, because life in general was a hell you made the best out of. Especially when you lived on Gunsmoke.
“Sempai? Are you sure you're alright?”
Meryl plastered a smile on her face. “Oh, yes! I'm just fine, Millie! Here, let me take a few of those for you!”
Meryl took a few bags out of Millie's hands and hastily opened the door to the house. The house was clean and neat, just as Meryl had left it. Meryl walked into the kitchen and began to unpack the grocery bags.
Judging by the look on Millie's face, Meryl saw that Millie hadn't believed a word Meryl had said. It really wasn't surprising. Millie always seemed to know when Meryl wasn't telling her the truth. But, the reason Meryl did that was because she wanted to spare her friend from dealing with her problems. Millie had enough on her own to worry about. Besides, every night, Meryl could still hear her friends muffled sobs coming from the room next to her own although they were becoming less frequent. Millie was on the mend, and Meryl didn't have the heart to burden Millie with her own problems.
Meryl was in the midst of unpacking her second bag when Millie entered the kitchen and set her bags down on the counter. Both began to unpack and put the food away. If one was unpacking, the other was putting each item in its proper place. Even in the kitchen, the two worked as a team, partners to the end.
As Meryl was opening the very last bag, the breath caught in her throat.
Donuts.
Meryl stared at them for a long time, a strange burning sensation in her eyes and her throat tight. It was a 12-pack, glazed with sugar. Vash's favorite.
“Sempai?”
Meryl blinked rapidly. “Yes, Millie?” she asked, her voice cracking slightly.
“Do you want me to put those away?”
“Oh...sure...”
Millie picked up the box of donuts and hid them in a cupboard, a mischevious grin on her face. “I know how Mr. Vash loves donuts so I bought some for him today.”
“Millie, why did you just hide them?”
“Because,” Millie said knowingly, “if he knows where they are he'll eat one, and then one, and another, and another, until they're all gone. He'll spoil his supper if he does that!”
Meryl shook her head, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. That was true enough. But then, her face fell slightly. She had just thought about Vash again.
“Sempai, what's wrong?”
“What makes you ask that, Millie?”
“Because, you've barely said a word, and you look like somebody just died, which they haven't, unless you didn't tell me about it, in which case that would be a really mean thing to do, but you're not mean, Sempai, so I know something's wrong, now spill!”
It took Meryl's mind a few moments to digest all of that. She sighed. “Millie, do you think we've done the right thing?”
Millie looked puzzled. “Huh? What do you mean, Sempai?”
Meryl took a deep breath. “I mean, do you think taking in Vash and Knives was a good idea?”
“A good idea? Yes, but why do you ask?”
Meryl looked out the kitchen window dismally. “I'm not so sure anymore.”
“Sempai...does this have to do with what happened this morning?”
Meryl looked at Millie. “You know about that?”
Millie shook her head. “I don't know the specifics. All I remember is waking up to a door slamming. After that, Mr. Vash shouted really loud. I jumped out of bed, but the only thing I saw was you running down the stairs and out the door.”
Meryl sighed, resigned. “What else do you remember?”
Milie frowned thoughtfully. “Well, Mr. Vash came out of the room. He looked really upset. When I asked him what happened, he just looked at me really sad and didn't answer. He looked so lost, Sempai.”
Meryl's throat tightened a bit more upon hearing that.
“And then, I asked him if he wanted breakfast. He just shook his head. He looked a bit sick. I told him he should go lie down, but he didn't seem to hear me. He just wandered back into the room and came back out wearing a shirt. Then, he went downstairs. And he left.”
Meryl blinked. Vash left? Why? He knew Knives was awake! How could he just leave the two of them in the house alone with that psychopath?
“Did he say anything before he left?” Meryl asked.
“All he said was that I should, under no circumstances, go into the room with Mr. Knives. When I asked why, all he said was that his brother was awake and not safe to be around.”
Meryl absesntly brushed her fingertips against the bruises on her neck. “Unsafe,” huh? That's an understatement, she thought darkly.
“That's why I went shopping today,” Millie continued. “Since we've got another mouth to feed, I thought I ought to.”
Meryl smiled. Good old Millie. She really was an amazing person. She always put other first, even those who didn't deserve it. Like Knives.
“I see. That's really thoughtful of you, Millie.”
Millie smiled. “Nah! I just do what I gotta do, Sempai!”
“You'll never convince me that's all you do.”
Millie shook her head, smiling. “Thanks, Sempai, but what I do really isn't all that special. Oh, by the way, you should probably go get cleaned up and change clothes, Sempai.”
Meryl frowned. “What about supper?”
“I'll start! Don't worry about it!” Millie interrupted, cutting short Meryl's protest. “Go have a nice time!”
Meryl thanked Millie before making her way up the stairs. As she trudged up into the hall, she looked warily at the door to Knives's room and edged her way around it. She had no desire to see a repeat performance of earlier that morning.
She tiptoed into her room, closing the door behind her silently. Passing by the mirror, she saw premature lines on her face, no doubt from worry. Then, she stripped quickly and slipped into the shower. As she let the warm water wash over her slight form, droplets forming on the edges of her eyelashes, she felt her worries wash away, along with the dust and sweat of the day.
The shower handle squeaked a bit as she turned the water off. She had allowed herself only a few minutes despite the new well. Water was precious, and old habits were hard to break.
Meryl stepped out onto the cold floor, barefoot, and began to towel herself dry. Then, feeling not at all inclined to wear her standard attire, picked out a pair of worn jeans and a white T-shirt as well as a fresh pair of white socks. Looking once again at herself in the mirror, Meryl saw that the lines had smoothed over considerably. Feeling refreshed, Meryl went downstairs, once again avoiding the bedroom. She thought she had heard voices in the room but decided not to investigate.
As Meryl entered the kitchen, she saw that Millie had indeed already started making dinner. “What are you making tonight, Millie?”
Millie turned around, her usual smile in place. “Oh, hi, Sempai! You look much better!”
Meryl smiled slightly. “Thanks. So, what're you making?”
“Oh, I just though I'd make some spaghetti tonight. It's simple and easy to make.”
“Millie, why don't you go take your shower now? You had a long day at work. I'll make the spaghetti.”
“Are you sure, Sempai?”
Meryl nodded. “Yes, I'm sure. Now go clean up!”
“Sure thing, Sempai!” Millie chirped. As she made her way up the stair, she called over her shoulder, “By the way, Sempai, Mr. Vash is back!”
Meryl's heart almost stopped. Back?
“He's in the room with Mr. Knives, and I told him you'd bring him some food later!”
Meryl almost keeled over right there. Darn it, Millie! Why'd you have to go and say that? What were you thinking?
Millie smiled. “You two need to make up for whatever it was that happened this morning! Good luck, Sempai!” Millie said impishly before disappearing up the stairs.
Meryl bit her lip as she turned to the task at hand. It was hard to keep her mind on cooking when her heart was about to leap from her chest. Millie didn't know what had happened. How could she have? Meryl hadn't told her, and neither had Vash.
After burning herself several times on the pot, Meryl managed with great difficulty to calm herself and make her mind go blank. Ingredient after ingredient went into the pot as the red sauce began to simmer. Plus, the pasta was beginning to boil.
Meryl began to wonder where Millie was. She had been gone a long time. Upon glancing out the window, Meryl could see the bright crimson glow o the 5th Moon. Finally, Millie came into the kitchen, but not from the stairs.
“Millie, where have you been?”
Millie blinked. “I went to town because I forgot something at the grocery store. I told you where I was going.”
Meryl stared. “You did?”
Millie nodded. “You just grunted so I assumed you knew, Sempai.”
Meryl frowned slightly. “Oh. Right...”
“Oh, wow, Sempai! That smells really good!”
“Thanks, Millie. I think it's done so you can help yourself.”
“Thanks, Sempai! I will!”
As Millie prepared plates for both of them, Meryl sat down at the table and sighed, stretching her muscles. She pushed a few stray strands of hair back from her face and twirled them around her finger. It was odd how that had happened. She had neglected to cut her hair for a few weeks. The length felt like it had changed overnight. Her black hair now reached the the top of her shoulders. It was different, but sort of nice.
Millie set the two plates down and began to eat and chatter on happily about her job while Meryl listened absently and poked a little at her food. It smelled delicious and tasted as such also, but Meryl really didn't have much of an appetite so her food went mostly uneaten.
When they were done, Millie cleared away the dishes. Seeing that Meryl hadn't eaten much, she covered up the food to save it for later. Then, she made two plates and handed them to Meryl.
Meryl looked at Millie quizzically. “Why two plates?”
Millie smiled. “One for Mr. Vash and one for Mr. Knives!”
Oh. So now I'm feeding the exterminator of the human race. Great...
“Now, of you go, Sempai,” Millie said cheerily.
Meryl groused to herself a bit silently before walking up the stair to Vash and Knives's room. She balanced both plates carefully on a tray, trying her best not spill anything. When she reached the door, she stopped and set the food on the floor. She was about to knock and run, leaving the food behind when she heard the sound of angry voices drift under the door. Meryl bit her lip, unsure if she should listen in or leave. Finally, her curiosity got the better of her, and she cupped a hand behind her ear and rested it gently against the door.
“...do that, Knives?” came a familiar voice that pulsed with righteous anger.
“Do what?” a cold, indifferent voice asked that made Meryl shiver.
“You choked Meryl!” the voice, whom Meryl now recognized as Vash's, raged. “You could have seriously hurt, or even worse, killed her!”
“More's the pity that I failed,” Knives replied, unconcerned.
“Knives,” Vash growled. “I'm warning you, if you harm so much as a hair on Meryl's-or Millie's-head, I won't hesitate to shoot you again!”
“Ah, Vash, is that any way to treat family? I'm hurt,” Knives said in a mocking tone of voice.
“Don't you feed me that crap,” Vash said, his voice shaking. “You shot off my arm and attached it to a man who made my life a living hell, sent assassins after me, made me watch others die, including Wolfwood, made ME kill, and put the girls at risk! So don't come at me with that family crap!”
“Vash, Vash, Vash. I did all those things to make you see the truth about humans.”
“And what truth is THAT?”
“Please, brother,” Knives said, sounding bored, “after all the scars they have carved into your body, after all the times they have ground you into the dirt, after all the times they have driven you to the brink of despair, can you still not see the inherent evil within the human race?”
“You're wrong about them, Knives,” Vash insisted. “They aren't what you say they are! You've never even lived around them! You've isolated yourself from them for over 130 years!”
“Brother, I saw all I needed to see of them aboad the SEEDS ship. You remember, don't you, Vash? The beatings at the hands of that vile human who didn't even deserve to lick the dirt off our boots!”
“...I remember.”
“Yet you continue to cling to the foolish idealism that blasted woman brainwashed your mind with,” Knives sneered.
“Rem was like our mother, Knives!” Vash protested. “She was-”
“Don't talk to me about that woman!” Knives roared, causing Meryl to flinch from the volume. “No mother would do what she did to her children's sibling!”
Sibling? What sibling? Meryl wondered.
“...”
“Oh yes, Vash!” Knives laughed, his voice growing maniacal. “Your perfect Rem was a sinner, too! Remember Tessla, Vash? Her mangled, disected form floating in test tubes, her single eye looking down at us, demanding vengeance!”
Meryl covered her mouth to prevent her gasp from being heard. That's...horrible... she thought, feeling sick.
“So, Vash, what do you say now?” Knives sneered.
Vash took a deep breath. “No one has the right to take the life of another.”
“More idealist prattle! You are literally citing that blasted woman, word for word.”
“Well, Knives,” Vash intoned quietly, “if it weren't for that `blasted woman,' you woulld be dead right now.”
“You would never have the nerve to do something like that, you pathetic wimp,” Knives smirked.
“I'm not just talking about our recent battle, Knives. I mean, 130 years ago, when we first crashed, that night when you were sleeping, I was going to crush your head with a stone. The only reason I didn't was because of Rem's voice echoing in my head that no one has the right to take another's life, including me. And you.”
Footsteps suddenly approached the door. Meryl stumbled back, almost knocking the food over. The door opened, revealing a sad-looking Vash the Stampede. He froze upon seeing her,
Meryl scrambled to her feet, unsure what to do. Vash shifted his weight onto another foot, looking uncomfortable. Then, he opened his mouth to say something and took a step forward.
Meryl couldn't explain what she did then. She backed away and into her room, closing the door in Vash's face and locking the door. She put her back against the wall and leaned heavily on it., her heart pounding fiercely.
There was a light knock on the door. “Meryl?”
Meryl shook her head violently, her eyes squeezed shut.
A pause. “Meryl, please... Please talk to me.”
“I...I...can't,” Meryl whispered hoarsely.
“Please open the door, Meryl,” Vash begged.
Meryl shook her head violently once again.
There was a long pause. Then, Meryl heard a noise. It was distinctive and one she recognized well.
Vash was crying.
Tears began to well in Meryl's eyes as she heard him sob quietly from the other side of the door. Her shoulders shook as sobs wracked her small frame.
Then, Vash managed to whisper into the door, his voice cracking, “I'm...sorry. So...sorry...”
Meryl sunk down to the floor, her back still to the door, her knees pulled up against her as she cried silently, tears spilling down her cheeks.
From the other room, she could hear Knives say, “You see? Even the ones whom you care for most don't accept you!”
There was no answer.
 
 
-sniffle- That was so sad!
Knives: Serves my foolish brother right for trusting those vile creatures!
O_O Hey, what are you doing here? You're supposed to be in the story.
Knives: I shall do as I please, pathetic human!
“Pathetic human,” huh? Oh, Kuroneko?
Kuroneko: -sharpens claws- Nyah!
Knives: You wouldn't dare!
Oh, wouldn't I? -evil grin-
Kuroneko: NYAH! -digs claws into Knives in a very uncomfortable place-
Knives: -howls with pain-
-evil grin-