Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Midvalley's Serenade ❯ Bread of Heaven ( Chapter 41 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Bread of Heaven

I stumbled and almost fell, but Nick steadied me and a warm flush stole over my body. I saw his face in the dim light that spilled out the window of the wire office.

"We shouldn't be seen together, " I said. I didn't know why that was the first phrase out of my mouth when I was so glad to see him.

"Hey, it's dark, don't worry so much," said Nick. He had the Cross Punisher over his shoulder but slid hisarm around my waist and pulled me close to him.

His affection moved me deeply and my arms tightened around him. A feeling of heat bloomed in my chest.

For a moment it seemed that time stood still and I held every good thing safe in my arms. I never wanted to let go, but a customer came out of the wire office and gave us an odd look before heading away down the boardwalk.

"What about your report?" I asked. "You were just about to wire it in, right? "

"Ah, you know me--it's not a long one, hardly worth sending in. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow instead."

"No, go ahead and send it."

"But, I hate to let you out of my sight. You don't know what a time I've had trying to get in touch with you."

"I'll wait for you," I said with a grin.

He went into the office and I leaned on the railing outside and looked up into the night sky.

I enjoyed the feeling of anticipation as I thought back to our embrace. Knowing that I would be with him if only for a little while, made me happy. The glow lasted a bit, but I didn't know how long we'd have together and I began to sadden.

I supposed he would have to return shortly to stand guard on Vash the Stampede and my mood started to falter more. Though it was clear Nick was glad to see me, worry wove in my mind like spider silk. I looked at the gold sliver of moon hanging above the city and had the image of Legato watching me through the link.

"He's far away in Southern Cornelia," I told myself. "Way out of telepathic range. He'll never know that Nick is here."

But my gut told me, "Don't fool yourself. He's probably here already."

Legato.

My mind tried to sort out the consequences of that fact. I began to worry about my father, about Nick's safety, and about how long it would be until I was required to return to duty. Guilt stabbed me when I thought about Legato. The warmth that I 'd felt in Nick's arms bled away and by the time he came out of the office and joined me at the railing, I felt cold and almost hopeless.

Then he bent his head close to mine, and said, "Let's get a room for the night."

The cold, fear and guilt vanished. Damn the consequences.

"The Salem Inn is about a half-ile away from here," said Nick. "It has private cabins instead of suites. We could get as noisy as we like. Hell, you could even play Silvia if you wanted."

" I think I saw the place on my way in. My car is parked close by," I said. "Five minutes and we're there."

"Let's go," he said and we started off.

"What about your assignment?" I asked.

"I'm free until noon tomorrow.

"You?"

"I'm free too," I replied.

When we got to the Inn, I registered and asked the motherly woman at the desk, "Do you have any room service?"

"There's no fixed menu. It's informal here," she said. "

Our guests usually eat at the restaurant across the road," she continued, "but it's closed for the night. Still, I baked bread today and just made a fresh pot of coffee. There's a brick of cheese and smoked salmon. I have cold beer and wine. It wouldn't take long to put a tray together for you. I could bring it over to your cabin in a few minutes." she said.

"That sounds good," I replied.

She figured out the bill and I paid for the food and lodging in advance.

The woman gave me a key, walked to the door and pointed out the window to a small building some distance away.

"Number Seven is yours. It's very peaceful. You should be able to sleep undisturbed. Just drop off the key when you leave."

The cabin held two double beds, a couch, a table and two chairs. I checked one of the doors, and found a closet. The other door led to the bathroom.

Nick stretched, took off his jacket and hung it on the back of a chair, pulled out his cigarettes and matches and lit up a smoke.

"Want one, Midvalley?"

"Sure," I said

He started a cigarette for me. I took it from him, brought it to my lips, took a puff and exhaled with a long sigh. I was starting to relax.

I answered a knock on the door and accepted the tray of food and drinks from the woman with my thanks.

"I'll take a beer," said Nick and I opened the two long-necks and passed him one.

"Here's to answered prayers," he said and he clinked his bottle against mine, by way of a toast.

"Answered prayers," I repeated and took a drink of the cold beer and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

"I thought I'd never see you again," I said.

He set down the beer, walked over to me and embraced me, "I've been praying for quite a while that we could be together again," he said gently.

"I did too, but I gave up hope months ago. Maybe I should have had more faith. You know I'm not much of a believer, Nick," I shrugged apologetically.

His hands went to my face, smoothed the hair from my brow. He moved his lips to mine, and kissed me.

So much pain washed away in that moment. So much of the grief and doubt of the past months fell away as he hugged and kissed me.

"Answered prayers," I murmured. I could almost believe it was possible. I kissed him back.

For months, I had hungered for his touch , his laughter, his smile. I didn't know how lost I had been until I found him again. All I knew is that the ache in my heart was gone and in its place, I felt the stirring of some finer emotion.

It was with some regret we separated, Nick with a final caress of my cheek.

"Oh God, Midvalley," he laughed, chagrinned. "I'm rubbing your face raw with these whiskers of mine. I'm afraid you'll be scarred for life." He was only half-kidding.

"I could use a shower and a shave too. It was hot and windy today and I've got sand everywhere," I said. A light shake of my head sent a small rain of it drifting to the floor.

"Let's get cleaned up then."

The invitation was irresistible, so I pulled out my shaving tackle and stepped into the bathroom.

"I'll be with you in a minute," said Nick, "I just want to finish this cigarette

I stripped, turned on the warm water and stepped under the shower.

I washed and shampooed quickly, and was rinsing off, with the water sluicing down my back when Nick stepped into the tub and joined me. He took a wash cloth and soap and started to lather my body. I closed my eyes and gave myself over to the sensations his touch aroused in me. I had missed his tenderness and was soon hot, bothered and needy with desire. I soaped him up next and his body responded to my touch.

I closed my eyes when he parted my lips gently with his tongue and slid it in my mouth. The sound of the rushing shower and the intensity of his kiss made me feel faint and I sagged against the wall and moaned.

"Midvalley are you all right? Nick asked, concerned.

"That was some kiss," I sighed and we clung together skin on skin, a promise of things to come.

"There's more where that came from," he said, "but I want to wash some of the sand out of this mop, so why don't you shave first and I'll join you later.

I left the shower, dried myself and fastened the towel around my waist. I finished shaving in a few minutes, left the bathroom and lay back on the bed to wait for him. I was more tired than I realized and dozed off. I woke to find him lying next to me, chin propped in his hand.

"You're awake.," he said. He stroked my clean-shaven face then cradled it in his hands. He brought his lips to mine and kissed me deeply.

When he broke the kiss, he said with concern, "You look like you've been sick, Midvalley."

"I was for a while. I think I almost died, but really, I'm okay now," I assured him.

"Your dad gave me your letter. He told me you might be worried about him."

"I have been a little," I said.

"He told me to tell you not to worry about Legato's threat."

"Well, that's a relief, anyway," I said.

"Speaking of Legato," Nick said and then hesitated.

"What about him?" I asked with a sigh.

"Maybe this isn't the time to bring this up, but you said things had been difficult. Your father didn't give me all the details, but he said he'd been very concerned about you. When I ran into Lenny some months ago, he told me you looked out of it."

"You know I had those fainting spells. I had another one, I guess, and I suppose I was at least half out of my mind for a couple of months or so. I don't recall much of what happened. I still have some holes in my memory, but I know that Lenny's dead--and Dixie…...and the rest of them…."

"I knew that. Hot Lips he told me some of the things that happened to you. He told me about Knives….."

I flushed scarlet with shame first and then froze at the recollection of Knives had done to me. I was too ashamed to admit I had been raped. The memory of my powerlessness on that day hit me like a hammer. Suddenly, I was afraid to say a word, certain that doing anything beyond lying back with my eyes closed would bring on tears. I hoped that my silence would make Nick drop the subject, but he didn't.

"Your father told me that Knives only raped you to use your healing ability. He told me you probably would have died if it hadn't been for Legato."


And now he had mentioned Legato and with a heavy weight of guilt on my heart, I sighed heavily, opened my eyes and saw Nick watching me.

"Do you know what Legato did?" I asked, and looked away, uncomfortable.

"I think so. He probably had sex with you."

Feeling even more uncomfortable, I sat up.

"He did," I admitted.

Silence followed this confession, a silence that went on too long and shredded my nerves.

Finally just to break it, I muttered half to him and half to myself, "Fucking Legato, anyway. For the first time in months, I can't feel him through the link. I finally get the chance to be with you again and it's all fucked up. It figures. I damned near lost my mind and my music, my band-mates. Now I guess I've lost you, too."

"It's all right, Midvalley," said Nick in a quiet voice.

"It's not all right, Nick."

He reached out to touch my shoulder. I flinched but he stroked it softly.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. You've had a rough time of it," he said.

My eyes began to sting and my voice got tight.

"I've done things I'm ashamed of," I said and faltered, but strengthened my voice to add, "How is that okay with you?"

"It doesn't matter to me. No one is perfect. I've done things too," Nick's voice trailed off.

Another silence fell between us after this admission and I paused to let the weight of it sink in on me until I felt the beginning of jealousy eating like acid at my heart.

"So what did you do?" I asked, half-afraid of the answer.

"Besides lie and murder?" he asked sadly. "You were right, Midvalley. The road does get lonely."

What did he mean by that? I couldn't bear to ask him. I just about gave in to despair, but he was still stroking the skin of my shoulder.

Another long silence went on until finally Nick let out a long low sigh.

"It's not a perfect world and I'm not a perfect person, but I do love you," he said, and pressed his lips to the soft flesh he had been stroking.

His voice was tender, so I looked at him. I glanced at his eyes, I saw the sincerity of his warmth, but was still so ashamed I could not believe that it was for me.

On the verge of tears with my voice quivering, I lashed out, "So, is this the face you show to Vash the Stampede?"

"No, Midvalley," he said softly and kissed my cheek. "You're the only one who sees this side of me."

I didn't respond. I was struggling to keep my tears dammed up.

"You accept me as I am and never judged me. I love you for that."

My tears began to spill over.

"I need you," he said.

I needed him too. Why couldn't I say it?

He brought his fingers to my cheeks to and gently brushed away the tears. I didn't turn away when he poised his lips over mine.

" I need you," he said again and kissed me.

I hesitated at first to kiss him back, but he persisted with tender passion putting his all into the contact, and when I sighed and my mouth opened he laid the soft pillow of his tongue on mine. I could hold back no longer and I fed on it as if it were a holy wafer. When I finally released it, Nick moaned my name like a prayer.

"Midvalley….."

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"I'm sorry, too," he murmured back.

The silence that fell between us then was comfortable.

I smoothed the expanse of his torso with my hands and paused when I felt a rough spot. I saw the scar left from where the bullet he had taken for me pierced him. I leaned down to kiss it and asked him, "Does it hurt?"

"Sometimes," he said

He rolled onto me, kissed me again on the lips and then they moved to my neck and pressed ardent kisses from the base of my throat to my ear, "but it was worth it."

His fingers brushed the sensitive skin of my nipples. My face flushed and I swallowed hard as his lips went where his hands had just been and his hands slipped lower and began to stroke.

My body began to respond to his touch.

His hand left my cock and he kissed me again and straddled me, he slid his cheek against mine and his tongue softly licked my ear.

"I want you," he whispered.

He pulled me to a sitting position and put his arms round me to pull me close to him and I saw an expression of concern on his face.

"What's this?" he asked. "What's this I feel on your back."

I'd forgotten the handiwork that Knives left when he raped me.

Nick made me turn so that he could see. My back was welted with scar tissue.

"Ah, Midvalley--- your beautiful skin---" Nick whispered and he took his arms away and left me cold.

"He never should have ruined your beautiful skin."

When I heard the shock and pain in his voice, I curled up on the mattress with my back to him and found myself in tears again.

Nick lay down beside me and I felt his arms encircled me.

"Ah, please don't cry, Midvalley," he begged, but the tears kept falling as I remembered the details of the violation.

"He took what he wanted….I was nothing….just a thing to him…." I said with my voice shaking.

"I'm so sorry, Midvalley," he whispered as he tenderly stroked the scars on my back.

His voice and hands soothed me but still my tears flowed.

"Hush…..ah, Midvalley, I love you. I love you so much," he whispered.

He pulled me closer into his protective embrace and held me for the longest time as I softly sobbed. And every now and then I felt one of his hot teardrops slide down my back.

In time, the emotional storm passed. I wiped my eyes with the backs of my hands, my tears spent. He didn't want to let me go, but finally, I sat up and turned to look at him.

"I feel like a fool now," I said to Nick with a crestfallen smile. "I prayed for the chance to be with you. First time in my life a prayer gets answered and I have to fuck it up."

"You didn't fuck it up."

"Like hell, I haven't," I countered. "The time we have together dribbles away while I bawl like a baby. I mean, we go to the trouble of renting a cabin where we can make some noise---"

"Not that making noise ever bothered us before," said Nick with a chuckle. "Remember the sandsteamer we took to Mei City? You had me pronged against the door as I recall, and just about battered it down with my ass, not that I'm complaining, mind you…. and the conductor asked, 'Is everything all right in there?' and you choke out, 'Everything's fine' which it was in spades, but God if he'd walked in on us---"

"He might have gotten an eyeful" I chuckled in remembrance.

"Yeah, an eyeful of joy juice. We shot pretty hard as I recall," said Nick with a leer.

"Yeah, I think some ended up on the ceiling, but it was a pretty small compartment.

I don't think I've laughed so hard since." I added.

"We've had some crazy times together, partner," said Nick. "Remember when Grey Nine-Lives use E.G. Mine as a meat tenderizer at the graduation picnic?"

I snickered at the recollection.

"How about the time you had the shootout with Zazie and marked him with the sign of the cross in red paint. That had to be the first and only time I ever heard Caine the Longshot laugh."

My attempt to make him smile fell flat.

"What ever happened to Zazie anyway? Nick asked. "I haven't seen him since that day, "

"He was at a meeting, a few months ago. I hear he is still communing with the hive mind."

The mention of Zazie's name had been enough to chill Nick's mood. I'd forgotten how upset he'd been when Zazie killed Bernie Welch. Now I hurried to recall something that would make us laugh and keep things light-hearted.

"Well, what about you at Burns's house and that butler with the huffy attitude ," I offered.

"Musicians use the rear entrance," Nick smirked. "Especially true in your case, Middie," he said with a suggestive grin.

"God, I always thought that for a priest you had one hell of a dirty mind. I thought I'd die laughing when you peered over the sunglasses and told him you were with the band."

"You got to admit I've got good taste," said Nick. "Ever since I was a student at the apartments, I liked your music. I guess I got spoiled, but I have missed your playing as much as anything else about you.

Why don't you play a song for me tonight, for old time's sake. I know Silvia could get us both in the mood again."

"You know, Nick, I think you're right. Any requests?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I'd like to hear you play 'Serenade'--- just for me, Midvalley."

I took Silvia from her case, lay back on the couch with her and began to play the song. Nick came up behind me and massaged my shoulders. It felt so good, I arched back into his touch. A little later, he knelt in front of me and the feel of his hot mouth on my cock made me gasp mid-note.

Nick stopped what he was doing for a moment to say. "Keep playing."

Easy for him to say, but much harder for me to do. I concentrated on easing the notes out of Silvia's throat….. sweet clear notes and then dissonance when his lips compressed the tip…brief silence when he sucked me breathless, then a string of wild notes when his tongue drove me crazy….low discordant moans when I looked into his hungry eyes. Linked to Silvia, I somehow felt each touch more intensely.

I blew on Silvia's reed and the hot slick notes poured out of her throat, while he throated me. I started to sweat, struggling to hit the peak, searching for that high note where Silvia's voice soared like a siren and when I did, I came shuddering in his mouth in a sweet ecstasy of sound and sensation that emptied me. When the spasms of pleasure passed, I found that my empathic link to him had opened wider than ever before.

I set Silvia aside pulled him up into my arms .

"I want you, Midvalley," his voice growled low and husky while his hands and mouth roamed my body.

"Take me, Nick," I panted.

He led me back to the bed and nudged me down.

Linked so intensely with Nick, I felt his desire, felt his pleasure as he pierced and filled me. He pushed into me and began to thrust, muscles rippling, lips seeking.

"More, Nick, more," I groaned as I clasped him tight to me. I felt joy when our bodies writhed to climax and a sense of peace and contentment when we lay together after.

After a time passed, Nick asked me, "Are you tired?"

"A little," I responded, "but I don't want to go to sleep just yet."

"Neither do I."

"If I was out playing music, we'd be starting the last set and then with any luck, I'd go out to another tavern, jam until dawn and maybe have breakfast at a café."

"I'd probably be up too. I still don't need much sleep."

"So let's stay up all night if we have to. Maybe we'll pay for it tomorrow--"

"Fuck tomorrow," said Nick. "Hell, it probably is tomorrow…Let's eat. I hope that the wine is cold and the coffee is hot."

We had a picnic on the bed. We fed each other bites of salmon, slices of cheese and hunks of the fresh crusty bread. We drank the coffee and the blood red wine.

After we drank, with the warmth of the alcohol coursing through us, we put aside our glasses and embraced again.

For the first time in months, I felt truly happy and at ease.

"Can I bum another cigarette?" I asked.

He shook a couple out of his pack and lit them both and we smoked in silence for a while and then I asked him, "How are things going at the orphanage, and how are Annie and Ginnie and the sisters?"

"Annie is as sweet and serious as ever. Blackie is a senior kitten now. We could hardly run the place without Ginnie, she makes herself so useful. Sister Rose? Thanks to your benefit concert, she got new glass and tubing for the hydroponics greenhouse. She's just about doubled the growing area and because of that, the money to feed the children stretches so much further."

He was just warming to the subject, I could see.

"…..and Dr. Reed and Ruby have put together a first class infirmary, and Sister Luz, God love her, is a genius at making ends meet," he continued.

I loved to hear the passion that he put into helping the orphans have a better life and I ended up grinning watching him talk with animated gestures.

"…..and as for the rest of the operation….."

He stopped mid-sentence when he saw me smiling, then asked, "What is it?"

"I'm just happy, I guess," I said.

I reached over to the chair to dig into the pocket of my suit jacket. I pulled out a packet of papers and set it in front of him.

"Not to be morbid or anything, because I'm in a pretty good mood right now, thanks to you," I said as preamble, "but---I made a will."

He didn't look at it, just gave me a grin and said, "So Hot Lips gets Midvalley's millions if you kick the bucket?"

"My father's got enough money. If I die, I want the money to go to you and the orphans."

"You're not gonna die," said Nick with a look of total disbelief.

"Right," I said, but I looked away. "…..but anyhow, there's still money coming in from my two mini-albums. You could sell the house in Mei City. As for the studio, I always thought it would be a great idea to teach the orphans how to make recordings. It would be another source of revenue for the orphanage and another good career to train the kids in. I thought you could move the equipment to December and maybe ask Kima if she would help out…."

Nick's hand settled over mine. I looked up to see him smiling at me, his eyes shining.

"I see you've given this a lot of thought and I'm grateful, but you're not going to die," he said. "I have a will too, Midvalley, but if I die, everything goes to the orphans. Even my father thinks it's a good idea."

I snorted, "Hell, Nick, I know that---"

"I thought about leaving something to you to remember me by," he said and tears started to fill his eyes, "but all I have are these feelings…."

I could feel his love for me through the link and his pain at the thought of losing me. The bittersweet sensation brought fresh tears to my eyes.

Nick fisted his hands and wiped his eyes.

"You know, I honestly thought I was going to make it through the night without crying because I was so happy to see you, but the thought of you dying…" he shrugged and didn't finish the thought.

He paused to take a drag of his cigarette and after he exhaled, he asked me, "Why did you make a will, Midvalley?"

"Legato's been acting very strange lately and saying things."

"Legato may act strange," said Nick, "but he's nobody's fool. What has he been saying?"

"He advised me to put my affairs in order, said something about a 'final disposition' and told me to make good use of the time I had left."

Nick sighed and looked uncomfortable.

"I went to a meeting, Nick. It was back when Knives started getting serious about finding his brother. I asked him point blank if he wanted his brother found dead or alive. He said alive, of course. Now I know that's why Knives sent the best damned bodyguard on the planet to look out for his brother, not that I believe that Vash the Stampede needs the help."

Nick leaned back to listen to what I had to say.

"When I thought about it though, I realized that Knives is up to something. Think about it, Nick. Dominique is dead and Monev the Gale. E. G. Mine and Rai-dei the Blade---all dead---executed for failing to 'kill' someone that Knives doesn't really want killed. It's a paradox at first glance."

Nick was hanging on my words.

"Knives never wanted him dead in the first place," I went on. "He knows his brother has an incredible will to survive. The Gung-ho Guns? We're just sacrificial lambs to be slaughtered. If Vash the Stampede finally decides to kill us in self-defense or from the realization of just how worthless we are, Knives will be happy, but he'll be just as happy if we fail to kill him and then has us executed. I've seen how he has us leave the bodies where his brother will see them. I've seen enough of Vash the Stampede to realize that for whatever reason, it puts him agony to see lives ended violently. One way or the other, Nick, I think I'm going to die. When it's all said and done, I don't think even your father, Leonof, and Legato will survive.

"Don't bet on it, Midvalley," Nick scoffed. But then he grew worried.

"But what if Knives and Legato decide to pit us against each other?" he asked and I knew through the link that the thought made him physically ill.

"They've done it before," I said. "E.G. Mine killed Monev the Gale and Dominique."

"What if I have to go up against my father?" asked Nick. "He's so loyal to Knives, I'm sure he'd kill me without a second thought, and what if I have to go up against you, Midvalley---"

"It won't matter to me if they do, Nick." I had long since thought out my response to that scenario. "Even if they kill me, I swear I will never hurt you."

"I swear I'll never hurt you either. I love you, Midvalley," he said and he kissed me.

The thought that we might die, made us cling to each other and we made love again in defiance of death but in the full knowledge that this might be the last time we would ever be joined this way.

Afterwards, we settled together and just before we fell asleep, Nick turned to me and said, "Promise me if you die, we'll meet on the other side."

"I don't believe in that stuff, Nick. When you die you're dead."

"Promise me, Midvalley….."

I kept telling him I didn't believe but he kept insisting. Finally just to make him happy, I said, "If I die, I promise we'll meet up on the other side."

He sighed with relief, then spooned my body with his and was asleep only moments before sleep claimed me.

I dreamed.

"You've been a bad boy, Midvalley….."

I don't know where the voice is coming from. I'm lost in a mist but I can hear the voice so very faint. It sounds like her.

"You've been very bad," says the voice and when the mist parts and I walk down the hall of the academy and I see Chapel the Evergreen frowning at me. "I'm disappointed in you," he says and I keep on walking, down the alley where the men wait with the chain for my neck.

"This un's been real bad. This fucking bitch bit me. Gonna teach this goddamn dog a lesson. Don't bite your master." Their voices swell the chorus an echo that fills my mind.

"Bad."

"Bad boy."

"You've been bad."

"You're no good."

"Worthless."

"Scum."

"Why did you do it?" I hear Dixie's voice now, and she and Lenny, and Sunny and Toby and Dave shuffle past me with their shattered bodies. Their empty eyes accuse me.

"I'm sorry," I say but they don't hear me.

"You've been a bad boy, Midvalley," says another voice behind me.

I turn and she's under me while I fuck her.

"Dominique…" I gasp in surprise.

"Who are you gonna fuck if you can't fuck a buddy," she says and her voice dies away and she shrivels into a corpse. I pull my cock in horror from her rotting flesh, then turn when I hear a honeyed voice whisper," You've been a bad boy, Midvalley."

"Time for his punishment," says Knives, his voice a harsh hiss. "Take his horn away."

Someone rips Silvia from my grasp. I moan like an animal and try to see where she is, but torch light blinds me and I am shoved and swept along in a jostling crowd. Teeth slaver and mouths spit on me, a whip cuts my flesh, hands push me along.

"Gonna get what's coming to you."

" He's a bad one," the voices jeer.

I trip and fall over rocks and stones. The whips fall again and rip my flesh.

"Get up. Get up, dog." A chain is thrown around my neck

"Help me, someone help me," I call out while my hands fight against the choke chain.

"Where are you taking me?" my voice is hoarse and guttural.

They just laugh and shove and hit me, kick me and whip me when I fall. Then the men start to drag me. As I struggle to my feet, I see something in the distance that fills with my heart with dread.

At the top of the hill. Something sick. Something strange…..

"No, no don't do this" I beg, but the hands push and pull me along. I hear more voices and the sound of a heavy hammers pounding nails, screams of agony and screams of laughter.

I trip over a plank of wood and hands strip me and push me down. I struggle to get away.

"Tie him up, boys," says a voice and hands lash my body to the plank. My eyes rake wildly through the crowd and I see a naked man nailed to a cross being lifted up---

It's Vash the Stampede, his body bleeding and marred by scars.

"You're a friend of his, aren't you?"

I turn anxiously to find out who said that.

The man with the hammer kneels down next to me a spike in his left hand.

My heart beats with fear and I have to look away, but I see another cross raised up--covered in white canvas bound with black straps. A man's naked body is nailed to it and blood runs from his hands and feet.

"God help me---Nick."

My tears fall as I see my lover's agony.

"God can't help you," says Knives. He and Legato sit at the foot of Vash the Stampede's cross with Silvia and the outlaw's red coat in his hands.

"Roll the dice, Legato," he said.

"Snake eyes, you lose." Knives smiles at me and when the spike pierces my flesh, I scream…..

…..to be continued……