Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Five: Chap. Thirteen: Moon Child ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Moon Child

She was born when the moon was out in the rain. Such a thing shouldn't have been possible. The weather and birth stood out. Amira was a young nurse then. She tended to mother and baby. Okay, a little bit about the nurse.

She was twenty at the time. A young nurse starting work in a new hospital. On this night, it was her first time on the night shift. At first, she looked stunned.

“Me? On the night shift? Alone?” she asked.

“Yes,” the head nurse said. “You are covering Lanie's shift tonight. You can handle it. Hannah will be working with you. If you have any questions, come talk to me. Understand?” Amira pressed her lips together as she nodded.

“Good,” the head nurse said. “I wish you luck.” Amira thought it would be a quiet night. She would have no such luck.

Eight pounds. She was beautiful. Fat little cheeks, chubby legs, tiny feet, and long curly grey eyelashes. But she wasn't breathing at first. The doctors and nurses look grim and quiet. The mother lifted her head.

“What is it? What's wrong, doctor?” she asked. “Where is my baby? Where is my baby?!” Amira put her hand on her shoulder.

“It's okay. It's okay,” she said. The mother had tears in her eyes. The nurse pressed her lips together.

“They are going to check something with the baby,” she said. “She didn't cry. It shouldn't be anything serious.” Amira hoped her own words were true.

Moments later, the baby cried. A sea of relief washed over everyone. The baby was returned to her mother. However, she wasn't a normal baby.

Knives could feel it. How was this possible? Rem was dead. Things like this didn't happen. Souls were a myth. They didn't exist. So… why? Why did a little baby make him feel uneasy? One look and that would set everything into motion.

------------

The baby had a strange effect on everyone who held her. The doctors and nurses couldn't explain it. Something inside of them felt so warm. Amira began to think about the happy times in her childhood. A gentle smile spread across her face. Dreams of summer filled her eyes.

“Nurse!”

Amira quickly came back to earth. She quickly turned her head.

“Yes?” she asked. Hannah stood in the doorway.

“Hilary needs those charts,” she said. “He asked for them thirty minutes ago. Where are they?” The younger nurse about jumped.

“Oh,” she said. “Oh, yeah, yeah. I'm on it.” Amira set down the baby and walked out of the nursery. Hannah watched her leave. The nurse followed behind. Meanwhile, the mother slept peacefully. She could rest knowing Baby Rieko was in good hands. However, that wasn't going to last long. Amira had that sinking feeling as she slowed down in the hall.

“Something wrong?” Hannah asked. The younger nurse shook her head.

“I don't know,” she said. Her voice drifted off. She walked off in a daze.

“Amira?” the other nurse asked. Her voice sounded distant. The young nurse couldn't shake the feeling of something bad happening to that beautiful baby. She couldn't let that happen. There was only one person who could help.

---------

Meryl put her hands to her chest.

“Rieko…” she said. Vash put his hand on her shoulder.

“I don't get it,” he said. Minerva raised her eyebrow.

“Get what?” she asked.

“When was Rieko born?” Meryl asked.

“Six years ago,” the old lady said. “Why?” Vash looked confused.

“Then why is she sixteen?” he asked. Minerva finished her water. She took a moment and breathed in.

“I grew her up,” she admitted.

Child the Moon