Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Tolerant Patience ❯ Dreams, Memories, ... Nightmares ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Lalalala.. O.o Don't own Trigun. -_- |" _-_ "| @_@ *Is dizzy*


Symbol key....

\Insert noise\ = Mechanical devices "Insert word(s)" = Talking

-- Insert thought(s) -- = Thoughts directed to certain telepathic people aimed to be picked up. I.e. hold a conversation without moving lips.

/ Insert thought(s) / = Captive person's thoughts.
>Insert thought(s) > = Intruding thoughts pushed in from telepathic person.

<> Insert thought(s)<> = Rin's skimming frequency... those thoughts she picks up. Extra symbols may be added.

!! Look out for a single solitary Japanese phrase !! :
(Wow, I was really conservative.)
Chotto matte-Wait a minute!


Pronounciation key:
'Chotto matte' is "Choh'toh mah'teh" err.. with double t there's a kind of pause / halting in the flow of the word.


Story! Onward, Ho!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My intuition was right; I wasn't going to sleep restfully tonight.

I purposefully left my mind open to dreaming. My 'technique' was especially receptive to others within close proximity.

I'm really glad that Nick sleeps on the other side of the house. I do not need his dreams interrupting the ones incoming from Legato.

I floated through the inky blackness, waiting.

My body was resting peacefully; well, at least I hoped it was.

Suddenly, I smelled something and saw my flickering shadow in front of me.

Smoke. I realized. I stilled my jumping heart and braced myself for the lurching feeling I would soon be feeling.

Here goes nothing. I turned around, and was immediately sucked into the dream.


Fire was everywhere. Eating like some ravenous beasts through the thick frame of the house.

It was not hot as it should be and there was far less smoke than I would have expected. Or rather my line of sight was not dimmed by the smoke, as it should have been.

Dreams were weird like that.

There was also this background roar threatening to turn my dream stomach to jelly. It seemed alive as well; the sounds of the fire, like a pack of lions.

Somehow, no matter how loud that noise was I heard something that was supposed to not be heard over that din.

A soft, mewling sound came to my ears, barely audible.

>Hello?> The sound was instantly silenced.
/Who's there?/ A shaky, panicked voice ventured almost too carefully.

I threw myself in the direction of the voice. >A friend, come to help you out.>
And I felt the presence stiffen. It felt like someone had slammed a door in my face.

The whole place began to get dull. Everything seemed muted.

And his voice seemed to gently speak to me like an untamed animal.

/Don't break your promise./

And I woke up.


That was not Legato.

I got out of bed and opened the door.

And, sighed.

Damn it Nick.

I leaned down to one knee and to try to get a better look at him.

Well, I'll be. I mused, noticing the frown on his face. How did he sleep in that position? Looks kinda uncomfortable.

I almost spoke to him, but refrained.

What'cha trying to do anyway? Protect me?

I stopped myself from laughing, and shook my head.

Cute.


I reached over and picked him up.

Heavier, too. Well, at least he's gained weight. You have no idea how much of pain in the ass you are.

He muttered something incomprehensible.

I'm getting you in your own bed where you should be!

He shifted and quieted.

I carefully walked down the stairs.

What a sight this would be, eh? Me, carrying someone who I can barely fit my arms around to get a good grip?

Meeting the doorway to his bedroom and finding the door slightly ajar -THANK YOU!!-I walked in and set him down gently onto his bed, removing his shoes and tucking him in.

Well, actually I took the other end of the blanket on top of the bed and covered him with it.

Silently, I closed the door behind me.

Whew, okay.

Let's try sleeping again.



Fifteen minutes later, I found myself back where I started. Patiently waiting for a dream.

I hoped I was not going to be interrupted again.

And I wasn't.

There was a strong smell of smoke like last time, but, this time, it had something else in it.

I turned and found myself surrounded on all sides by fire, this time though I could swear it was real. Couldn't see anything and that smell.. what the heck was that??

Walking around blindly, I tripped over something soft. And found what that permeating stink was.

Charred.

Flesh.


I thought I was going to hurl.

There were bodies everywhere staring lifelessly at me.

I heard yelling.

I ran towards that direction and found blesséd air.

"..is!!? I loved you!! Why did you do this?!?" The young woman screamed repetitively.

Towards the figure shrouded by darkness, she was trying to crawl, but she was trapped under a large burning timber.

"Stop your insufferable squabble, human." The figure sneered.

She stopped, gritting her teeth in a sign of obvious physical pain.

"Me love you? Ha. That's got to be the most idiotic thing I've heard from you yet. A butterfly love a spider??" He began to chuckle; it quickly turned into maniacal laughing.

Who was this guy? Butterflies? Spiders?

I recognize that voice.


It was if I was really there watching a movie play out.

But this was no movie.

I could feel the poor woman's pain and sorrow, hear her berating herself over and over again, and saw the tears that she ruthlessly tried to stop from falling.

"And the boy, if I'm going to die, you can't just leave him to fend for himself.?"

He stopped and gave her a cold smile. "Who cares?"

Wait, it couldn't be..

I saw her mentally piece together something. Unknowingly, projecting her thoughts very clearly.

<><>No, it would better for my son to be left out there in the wild, then to have a heartless monster take care of him.<><>

"Heartless, now am I?"

She defiantly glared at him, awash with pain and regret. And a terrible loathing.

He crouched, clearly entertained by her. "I'm going to enjoy watching you burn."

He stood up. She spat at him.

His head snapped to the left and, without delay, the rest of the house crumbled on top of her.

Shit, it's Knives.

She never had a chance to scream; she was crushed instantly.
Better than the alternative. I thought grimly.

The figure turned to me and leaned over next to me. "You heard your filthy mother, spider. You're mine."

KNIVES!?! YOU F^&*ING ASSHOLE!!
Calm down, Rin.


I turned to see him petting the boy on the head in an almost affectionate manner.

You.. bred.
You can't do anything about it.


"But first, spider, you need a name."

So.. that..
Don't get angry.


The boy made no move to allow or deny Knives' stolen right.

You could have someone you could trust..
Breathe.


Continuing to pet his hair, Knives looked thoughtful. "I'll call you Legato, spider."

He's Knives' son? That was news to me.

The white blond straightened with a wistful look on his face. No apparent regret for killing his mother at all.
"Legato Bluesummers."

Half-Plant. I realized numbly.

Legato's half-plant.

That would explain.. certain things about him.

Like why Knives allowed a 'disgusting human' near him. And also why he would approve the use of humans in the Gung-Ho Guns to do his dirty work.

Must've taken a bunch of coaxing on Legato's part.


He turned in an almost random direction. "Follow."

And the boy did.


I found myself 'falling' back to my body.

What a disturbing.. dream.. memory??

Many thoughts came to mind, all fighting to get a bit of my thinking processor.

No wonder, Legato's all messed up. What, he's been under Knives' care for most of his life...

Eww.. Incest. Legato in love with his own father.
Go figure with a warped family like mine...

I'm going to kill Knives. Gonna kill him...
You can't, stop thinking so violently; you're freaking me out.

And if he's half-Plant... how old is he?

Legato in love with Knives, his father.

Wring his neck.. disembowel him.. string up his entrails for decorations.
STOP IT!

TIME OUT!! I'm an aunt?? Then that would mean that, Vash is an uncle!!

Chotto matte! Bad .. if Vash found out he would feel very.

Happy?

Guilty! Now, stop interrupting me.

But I'm your mind, hee hee. . Why, guilty?

ARRRGHH! He's just that way okay!! Put yourself in his shoes.Think sentimental pacifist. Now, you jut shot your nephew in the head with your own blasted gun!! How would you feel?? Hnnn?!?

Prettyyy~y. bad?

I would think so. Okay? SO leave me alone to think in silence.

'kay. Bye.

Good riddance.
I thought with an exhale of air.

"See what happens when you have too much time to yourself with a vivid imagination?" I said aloud.
"You really should stop talking to yourself. People may think you're crazy." I scolded myself.
"Right. Think."

OHHHHhhh! Blast it all!

"Hey, you didn't say I couldn't speak to you."

Just leave me alone!! Stop talking or else you'll wake everyone---!!


The door creaked open.

I froze.