Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: Please check my profile. I have a poll up that I'd like people to do.
Last Time: Fai could barely contain his excitement. Finally things were right again. He skipped to his and Kurogane's room. Once they were in the room he turned and jumped onto Kurogane, wrapping his arms around the ninja's neck before he could react. A laugh burst from his throat, “Their back!” he shouted.
===
The next day, as they prepared for the battle that night, Fai felt something grow warm around his neck. He frowned, looking down. His eyes widened. His necklace was glowing, hovering softly over his chest. “Wha…” He heard the door to his room open. His quickly grasped the necklace and shoved it under his shirt.
===
Fai groaned as they landed back in the country of Shara. “I hate time-travel.” He muttered to himself. He pushed himself up and looked around. “It's the jinja.” He said.
 
Kurogane frowned. “We're back?” he asked. Fai slowly stood and brushed himself off. His eyes widened as a wave of dizziness overcame him. `Not again.' He thought. He pressed a hand against his forehead and took a deep breath. Kurogane grabbed his elbow. Fai smiled up at him. “I'm fine. Just a little dizzy. I'm probably just tired.”
===
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 7-
 
Fai laughed as he watched Sakura stumble through the controls on a Firefly. He laid a comforting hand on her shoulder and shook his head. “You know, Sakura-chan, why don't you go shopping with Kuro-wanko? He needs someone to go with him, he might give the store clerks a heart attack just by looking at them; he's so scary!” he stated, laughing harder.
 
He turned his head and stared at the window to Syoaran's bedroom. “I'd go with him myself but you know how frustrated I make him and him getting mad is the exact opposite of what we're trying to do.” Sakura giggled and nodded in agreement. “Of course, Fai-san.”
 
Kurogane walked out to where they were standing and stared at them. “What are you two doing?” he asked. Fai giggled ominously, “Planning your horrible but completely accidental demise of course. I oh so hope you don't mind.”
 
Kurogane stared at him. “Was that your sick and twisted way of asking me permission to plan my death while making it seem like an accident?” he asked incredulously. Fai nodded. “If that's how you want to see it. May we?” he asked cutely, fluttering his eyelashes purposely.
 
“What? No!!” Fai let his face fall in fake disappointment. “But Kuro-chan!” he whined.
============================================
Fai waved the two goodbye as they left, smiling widely. He looked down at Mokona and smiled. “Mokona, go bug Syoaran alright? If he doesn't wake up, shoot him.” he stated, giggling sadistically. “Yay! Syoaran, here I come.”
 
Fai shook his head and flopped down in a chair, smiling softly. “These kids…I'd forgotten how fun this journey was before Tokyo.” He whispered.
 
His eyes widened when his necklace started to glow again, picking up off his chest and tugging in the direction of Syoaran's window. He growled and grabbed it, pulling it towards him. He ignored it as it started to grow even warmer to the point where it almost hurt, merely tightening his grip. “Kurogane…What did you do to the damn thing?” he asked.
 
The blonde only relaxed when it cooled down. He opened his hand and stared at it. “This little thing, the only evidence I have that I haven't gone completely insane, and there's something wrong with it! That's just my luck!”
 
He sighed and leaned back in his chair, staring dully up at the sky. “Why me?” he asked weakly. The door opened and he turned his head to watch Syoaran exit the building. “Good morning Syoaran-kun!” he stated, forcing cheerfulness into his voice.
============================================
Later that day, before Sakura and Kurogane had come back he grabbed Mokona and had him contact the witch. He waited till Mokona was fast asleep in his lap before he turned his steely gaze onto Yuko. “What did you do to it?” he asked coldly.
 
Yuko blinked. “What do you mean?” He glared back at her. “Don't play dumb, witch! The necklace; what did you do to it?!” Fai demanded. He watched as Yuko closed her eyes and sighed. “I did know that there was a spell placed upon the necklace but I was not the one to do it. I don't know what Sakura-chan and Tomoyo-hime did.”
 
Fai glared. “Not good enough. What do you know about it?” Yuko met his eyes sadly. “I know that Kurogane gave up his greatest wish to insure you had it when you returned.” She stated. Fai recoiled slightly, his anger gone. “His…greatest wish?” he repeated dumbly.
 
Yuko nodded. “Did you never find it odd, Fai? You knew about the plan 2 weeks ahead of when you left. Did you never wonder why Kurogane never tried to visit you, talk to you, comfort you? He couldn't.” Yuko looked away. “His greatest wish…he wanted to spend his last days with you, hold you when you were sad and in pain, make sure nothing could ever hurt you. But in order to give you any help he could, he gave that up.”
 
Fai bit his lip and looked away. “Kurogane…” he whispered, tears starting to run down his cheeks. He curled into himself slightly, holding tighter to Mokona. “Oh god…” he choked.
 
Yuko spoke slowly, her words ringing clearly. “I think it is time you stopped hiding from your memories, and from reality. You have always acted like the loneliest person in the universe but in truth, you're surrounded by people just waiting for you to realize they're there. Wake up Fai. There is nothing you can do to change what has already been done. You can only try to make sure that it does not go in vain.”
==========================================================
Fai grinned sadistically as he watched the vast amount of cars approaching him. “Oh, Tomoyo-chan, you never change no matter the world.” He whispered. He placed a gentle hand on Syoaran's shoulder. “Say hi to our guests, will you Syoaran-kun? I think I'll go get us all some drinks.” He requested with a hint of amusement. Syoaran nodded slowly, looking slightly intimidated.
 
The blonde walked back out slowly, juggling plates filled with glasses. “Sorry it took so long.” He placed the plates down and slowly handed out the drinks. “It's a pleasure to meet you Tomoyo-chan.” He greeted, bowing slightly.
 
He looked up to see the girl's eyes carefully evaluating him. Tomoyo smiled; “It's a pleasure, Fai-san, right?” he nodded.
===============================================================
He handed Kurogane his beer, staring out the window at Sakura and Syoaran. “How cute.” He whispered softly. The ninja grunted, turning away. Fai grinned at him. “You looked like you were going to have a heart-attack today, Kuro-sama. I take it; she was a lot like your Tomoyo?”
 
He already knew the answer. It was yes, beyond yes. Kurogane grunted again, slumping in his chair. “You have no idea.” He muttered. Fai giggled softly. “Eccentric beyond belief?”
 
“Yes! I wondered sometimes why they left her charge of the country. But she's a good princess.” Fai nodded. “I think I would like to meet her someday. This princess who holds so much of your respect.” He stated, grinning. It was an empty sentiment. Meeting the Tomoyo of Nihon would only further remind him of what he couldn't have.
 
“You two would get along.” Kurogane muttered, drinking the beer. “What makes you say that?” The blonde asked, staring out the window. “You both drive me insane.”
 
Fai laughed at the answer. Some of his fondest memories were plotting with Tomoyo. Kurogane had no idea just how right he was. “But it looks like we haven't run into yours yet. That person you always have to run from.” Kurogane stated. “It could be the same person. But who knows, it might be someone else with the same face. No way to tell.”
 
One of the blonde's hands curled into a fist. “Even if he does come, it won't matter. I've changed, haven't I? I refuse to run anymore. Even if I have to kill him, I won't let him hurt anyone else.” He whispered firmly. Kurogane stared at him.
 
Fai looked up at him, not bothering to smile. Sounds echoed into the room from outside, slowly getting closer. Then the entire building shook. He laughed as Kurogane walked outside. “Way to go, Sakura-chan!” he shouted, laughing. He'd have to do something to thank the girl for inadvertently changing the subject.
======================================================
Fai carefully went through all the firefly controls in his mind as he waited for the race to start. It was only the first race, but he wasn't going to hold back this time. `As fast as possible Fai.' He reminded himself again.
 
Kurogane looked over at him from his own firefly. “We're not going to stand a chance, are we?” he asked. Fai looked up in confusion before he smiled. “What makes you think that?”
 
Kurogane shrugged. “The look on your face. It's the same one you got before we started to fight on Yama. When ever you got that look,” The ninja smirked. “No one stood a chance. Once people started to realize that they ran.”
 
Kurogane rolled his eyes at Fai's flabbergasted look. “You seriously didn't notice?” The blonde shook his head, a small smile crossing his face. “No, not really. I think I was too busy making sure we didn't get killed.” He looked up as the race got started. “I'll take your word for it and see you at the finish line!” He shouted before he took off with everyone else.