Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: This chapter is seems really short to me. Oh, well. Piffle's next. I love that world, things are so nice there.
Last Time: Seishiro smiled at them. “It's good to see you two made it back here safely.” Syoaran stared at the man while Fai smiled darkly. “I guess we have you to thank for that.” He stated. Once again magic gathered at his fingertips and he carefully shaped the spell. “But still, consider this your warning.” He called up to the man. The spell flew from his hand.
===
“Fai…” He looked down and smiled at Mokona. “Yes?” Mokona stared at him. “Fai said he wouldn't use his magic.” Fai looked down. “I know. But some promises are meant to be broken. Others never should have been made.” He placed one hand on Mokona's head. “I will no longer hold any regrets for the actions I take from this point onward.”
===
What was left of his vision started to swim. “Kuro…gane…”He whispered, slumping forward. Kurogane's eyes widened and he caught the blonde. “Oi, mage. Mage! Fai!” he shouted shaking the blonde. Fai didn't respond.
===
He knew that Kurogane was worried about him. The ninja thought he wasn't sleeping well. That wasn't true. He wasn't sleeping at all. He stayed up at the night, silently counting the days until the kids reappeared and he could relax and not worry about their well-being. He hadn't slept in about a month. He counted himself lucky that Kurogane wasn't yet aware of his inability to sleep. He probably get yelled at.
===
Fai smiled softly. Despite how much he was worried he thought that the time spent in Yama was going much better than the first time. He could lean on Kurogane this time if he had to.
===
He turned to him and smiled fully. “Their here.” He whispered in glee, just before the sky dropped. Everyone stared at the newcomers in surprise. Fai breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed. “Remember the plan?” Kurogane asked. Fai nodded and brought another arrow to the string of his bow. The kids were back. Things were right again, he didn't have to worry needlessly anymore. He smiled softly.
===
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 6-
 
Kurogane shook his head in amusement as he followed Fai through the camp after the battle. Although he had only seen the kids for a minute it was a relief to see they were alright. And Fai apparently shared this sentiment.
 
He smiled slightly as he saw the mage start to bounce down the streets. Even though Fai's skin was paler than normal and there were ever more noticeable circles around his eyes he looked refreshed and alive. Kurogane was happy to see that the blonde was back to normal.
 
Fai could barely contain his excitement. Finally things were right again. He skipped to his and Kurogane's room. Once they were in the room he turned and jumped onto Kurogane, wrapping his arms around the ninja's neck before he could react. A laugh burst from his throat, “Their back!” he shouted.
 
Normally, Kurogane would have pushed the mage off without a thought but it had been so long since he'd seen the mage smile so fully and for once he wasn't hiding behind a mask. So he dealt with it and placed a hand onto Fai's shoulder and muttered, “Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever.”
 
Fai pulled away and grinned. “Even though you say that, you're just as happy as I am.” He stated. Kurogane looked away. Fai laughed.
==================================================
Kurogane sighed as he pulled a blanket over the mage. He had finally fallen asleep after all these months. But now Fai slept peacefully, curled up onto his bed. Kurogane shook his head and turned away when his hand caught on something.
 
He frowned and turned back to the mage. One of his fingers had caught beneath the small silver chain of his necklace. He sighed and gently untangled his hand, letting the tear-shaped crystal slide across his palm. He shook his head. He didn't know why but he had a feeling some of the things going on with Fai were centered on this object had suddenly appeared.
====================================================
Fai shook his head the next night. “I know that you want to see his abilities but can you try not to kill him?” Kurogane twitched, “I wasn't trying to!” he shouted. Fai merely looked at him. “Yeah, okay.” He drawled.
 
Kurogane glared at him. “Will you just shut up?” he growled, Fai smiled. “Hm, let me think about that.” He looked back at the ninja and smiled widely. “No.” he stated.
===================================================
The next day, as they prepared for the battle that night, Fai felt something grow warm around his neck. He frowned, looking down. His eyes widened. His necklace was glowing, hovering softly over his chest. “Wha…” He heard the door to his room open. His quickly grasped the necklace and shoved it under his shirt.
 
Kurogane paused in the doorway and stared at him suspiciously. Fai smiled blindly. “Is something wrong, Kuro-tan?” he asked. Kurogane glared at him but shook his head.
 
Fai relaxed as a few minutes later the necklace became chilly again. He reached up and grasped it through his shirt. `What is going on? What did you do to the necklace, Kurogane?'
===================================================
He watched as they appeared first on the moon castle and seconds later, Ashura's army did. He couldn't contain his grin when he saw Kurogane immediately attack Syoaran. `Just don't kill him, Kuro-chan.' He thought in amusement.
 
His eyes widened as a minute later his necklace started to glow again. He watched as it hovered over his chest and started to tug in the direction of Syoaran and Kurogane. He watched as Syoaran pushed Kurogane away, looking at his arms in surprise and horror. `The seal!' He thought in panic.
 
Slowly the glowing stopped as Syoaran seemed to regain the ability to move on his on. Fai watched as Ashura attacked Yasha, the ruler's sword piercing through his stomach. He closed his eyes and breathed out, “And so the dream ends.”
 
His eyes widened as the ground stared to break apart. “Time to go, Kuro-pii!” he shouted.
==================================================
Fai groaned as they landed back in the country of Shara. “I hate time-travel.” He muttered to himself. He pushed himself up and looked around. “It's the jinja.” He said.
 
Kurogane frowned. “We're back?” he asked. Fai slowly stood and brushed himself off. His eyes widened as a wave of dizziness overcame him. `Not again.' He thought. He pressed a hand against his forehead and took a deep breath. Kurogane grabbed his elbow. Fai smiled up at him. “I'm fine. Just a little dizzy. I'm probably just tired.”
 
It was possible, with his new sleeping habits but Kurogane glared at him. “Really?” he asked skeptically. Fai nodded. “Please don't worry the kids.” He asked, jerking his arm out of the ninja's hold.
 
Fai turned his attention back to the situation. He watched as slowly Syoaran came to realize what had happened. “You don't think?” the boy whispered. Fai smiled grimly. “We changed the future?” he finished.
 
He watched as sadness filled the boy's eyes. “Once something is done it can not be undone.” He stated, laying a hand gently on Syoaran's shoulder. “Everything changes. Nothing changes back. We cannot undo something once it has been done. No matter how hard we wish, we can only move forward.” He turned his head smiled sadly at the boy. “So, shall we keep moving?” he asked.