Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ For Our Children ❯ For Our Children ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
For Our Children
By: Natilie Sawada

Esme’s POV

Takes place just before Carlisle and Esme leave for the clearing to fight the newborns in Eclipse.

A/n: I decided I’d try to step away from New Moon for a minute and try Eclipse >< lol

Here I go, please comment!

-------------------------------

The wind whipped gently across my facing, sending locks of my hair sweeping back over my shoulders dancing out on the hair behind me as I stared up at our now empty home.

Everyone had already gone. It was just me and him. I stood staring at our house—our home, all the windows closed and dark.

Empty.

Would it ever be full again?

After today, would someone not come home?

“Esme,” a velvet voice pulled my from my thoughts, accompanied by the slight pressure of a hand on my shoulder. “It’s almost time.”

I turned towards him, gazing up into the deep golden eyes that marked us for what we were—the paths we had chosen, or not chosen.

“They’ll all come home all right, won’t they?” I inquired, my voice barely audible over the slight whistle of the wind.

“Of course,” he assured. “We may be without Alice’s foresight, but we have the wolves on our side. There will be no problems.” The utter calm and certainty in his voice did little to ease the anxiety in my stomach.

It took quite a bit to break my husband’s calm mask, so he could hide tiny doubts easily.

It took a little more to fool me, but he was getting better and better at it.

“Even without Edward?”

I thought of my youngest, yet oldest son high up on a mountain somewhere with his true love.

“Even without Edward,” he confirmed. “He’s the safest of all of us right now.” I closed the space between us, wrapping my hands around his waist and resting my head against his chest. “The others are already on their way,” he murmured, one of his hands coming up to stroke my hair. “Alice said the newborns would be arriving soon.”

I bit my lip, thinking of my tiniest, most fragile looking child—of her flamboyancy, of her warmth, of her love, of her smile.

“Alice,” I choked inaudibly.

I though of her husband, my dark, quiet child, but still full of so much love and silent laughter— of his dry sense of humor, of his inconspicuous smiles.

“Jasper.”

“They’ll be fine,” my husband assured, the hand that had been stroking my hair making its way to my back and running across the skin there in soothing circles.

“And Emmett, and Rosalie…” I whispered, thinking of my most flashy children.

My Rosalie, her crudeness, her honesty, the way she had of once in a while silently showing everyone around her just how much she cared.

My Emmett, his booming laughter, his showy hardheadedness, his complete and utter, down-to-the-bone goodness.

“They can take care of themselves, Esme,” he murmured quietly, “they’re not children.”

“But they’re my children!” To my surprise, the words came out as a choked sob, my voice suddenly escalating—breaking through an octave. He just continued to hold me, his hand returning to stroke my hair.

“How will I live if I lose any of them? I’ve already lost one child. I don’t think I could live though losing another, Carlisle.”

“Shh,” he hushed, and I felt his lips in my hair, “shh, everything will be all right. Everyone will be fine.”

“But what about you?” I whispered, pulling back to look into his eyes once more, placing a hand against his cheek. “How could I possibly live through losing you?”

“You won’t ever have to,” he said quietly, placing his hand over my own for a moment, before lifting it off his cheek and lacing his fingers through mine, dropping our intertwined hands to our side. “I promise. I will always be here.” He closed his eyes and placed his forehead against mine so our unnecessary breath mingled.

“Do you promise?”

“For all eternity.” We stayed for that for an immeasurable moment before he spoke. “Remember, we’re doing this for Edward and Bella —for their happiness. We all love them, Esme. We’re all going to do this for them.”

“For Edward and Bella,” I repeated finally, lifting my head off his chest. “I’m sorry. I’m just being a worrisome mother…again.”

“Yes,” he sighed, a slight smile playing across his face, “we do live for our children, don’t we?” I let the rhetorical question hang in the air for a moment before talking.

“Let’s go, all right? We wouldn’t want to keep the others waiting.”

“Of course,” he agreed as we started off, hands still clasped, to join the rest of my children—save for two—to fight along-side them in the battle that would decide the fate of us all.

I glanced over at my blonde-haired, golden-eyed angel.

We do indeed live for our children, my husband, I thought, we do indeed.

~fin~

A little similar to “Fate of Our Son” I wrote from Carlisle’s POV during New Moon, but not too similar.

I really have no experience being a mom, so getting inside Esme’s head where that’s all she thinks about was a challenge and a half.

But tell me how you think I did.