Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ The Blood Dolls ❯ Backstage ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The heavy beat emanating from the speakers beside me roughly matched my heart as my head pounded. Tonight was the big night! My first time on stage in the United States was going to be the best. My hands shook with anticipation as I adjusted the microphone crossing in front of my lips from my ear.
 
“Renee, you're on in ten!” My producer shouted from a few feet behind me. I barely heard him from where I stood. They audience was so loud and the racing base of the stereo didn't help. I turned and flashed him an excited smile as I counted down in my head. Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three… Now!
 
Rushing out on stage I came to a sudden stop to strike a pose. My lips moved to the rhythm of the music like they did every day in the studio.
 
“With you in my usual sight, I can breath” My lips moved to the familiar words as they flowed off my tongue. “Even though that's already plenty enough for me.”
 
Tonight was going to go smoothly.
 
~*~
 
When the concert had finally ended I had left the stage through a trap door in the floor. Heaving air into my tired lungs I lay across the foam bed I had landed on with a large smile spread across my lips. Stiffly rolling off the bed I looked down at my wardrobe in the streams of light that dribbled down from the stage above.
 
I had gone through about six outfits during the concert and this one was most likely the most uncomfortable of them all. A tight red leather corset synched my waist and squished my breasts down while black material that I could only assume was also leather trailed down from the bottom of the corset like a cape leaving my legs bare in the front. If it wasn't for a pair of red leather hot shorts I'd be naked. Black stockings ran from an inch below the hem of the shorts into knee high leather boots with three inch stiletto heels.
 
Heaving as large a sigh as I could I trudged towards the stairs that lead up to the backstage area. It was a wonder I was able to walk in these suckers.
 
“Renee! You did great!” A male voice greeted me as I wandered to the concession stand behind the stage. I turned just in time to intercept a bear hug from my American producer Michael. I laughed into his chest as I patted his back lightly with my hand.
 
“It's all thanks to you, Michael. Without your influence in this country we would never be here.” I shouted into his chest. I doubted that he had heard me.
 
“That stance you took during the third song was amazing! I've never seen anyone do that while singing!” He gushed as he pulled my body as tightly to him as he could possibly muster.
 
“Thanks,” I yelled, slowly pushing him off of me. I smiled up at him and spoke as clearly as I could muster with my heavy British accent, “It comes from years of practice.”
 
“Where ever it came from the crowds loved it! I can't wait for your next performance!” Michael said as he swooned off in his own world. I laughed from embracement as I watched him wig out in front of me. His hands remained clasped on my shoulders as I looked away from the pathetic sight. After a moment his hands released my shoulders and Michael came to a steady stand.
 
“All better?” I asked looking back to his face.
 
“Yes, thank you.” He sighed and laughed at himself. “I am just so proud of you.”
 
“You sound like your trying to be my dad.” I said with a small smile. He blushed and continued to laugh.
 
“Sorry. I'll leave you be now. Make sure you get to bed by two, alright?”
 
I rolled my eyes but nodded; anything to get him to talk to his sound buddies and leave me alone. Watching him nod to me with a small smile he turned and walked towards the sound station. I sighed in relief, but was quickly flooded by the men I knew as band mates.
 
A loud whoosh of air rushed from my lungs as I was captured from behind by the large arms of a pale man. His woots and hollers that came after a successful performance rang in my ear as he lifted my feet off the ground and spun me around in a full 360.
 
“Put me down before I barf on you Daren!” I shouted while laughing as I struggled in his grasp for freedom.
 
“Why should I do that? You've never barfed on me before,” He teased as he placed my feet down on top of his own and started walking me towards the other band members. “Besides, I've got you right where I want you.” His words were soft against my ear as he playfully brushed his lips across the brim of my ear.
 
“True.” I laughed as we wobbled over to the others.
 
“You really should try walking on your own sometimes.” I heard Hayden say in remarks to my current state. I glared at the brunette playfully as I let myself be walked over to him.
 
“It's not like I have much of a choice” I retorted as I wiggled my hands helplessly at my sides. Hayden laughed at the sight of my pathetic motions.
 
“You might want to put her down; the natives have appeared for their back stage interview.” I head the last member of our band mumble from just behind Daren. Daren sighed and let me slip away from him and over too a folding chair.
 
“Were you always such a grumpy ass?” Daren asked as he glanced over his shoulder to West.
 
I grinned up at them as I waited for the group of adoring fans to come into hearing range.
 
“You know West, you should really start being a bit friendlier. You don't want to rub the paparazzi the wrong way. Rumors may start to circulate.” I said as I stared down the blonde man with a grin tweaking at the corner of my lips. He just glanced at me from the corner of his eyes before he rolled them in defiance and went back to plucking the strings on his acoustic guitar.
 
Hayden laughed as he took a seat on a stray piano bench. Daren silently took a seat on the folding chair next to me, his black hair swaying with the motions he took.
 
“I wonder what kind of people we will be talking to tonight.” I said. My voice was finally able to be heard at a normal level. Apparently the stadium was empting at a fast rate.
 
Hayden nodded as he eyed the group of people walking into sight with white badges clipped to their clothing. His brown hair twisted through his fingers as he brushed his bangs back across his head. His steady crimson eyes crossed each of the approaching faces, memorizing their features.
 
I glanced over to Daren wondering what he was doing. It wasn't any surprise to me that his eyes drew over to mine as soon as I looked to him. His eyes softened as soon as they caught hold of mine. I smiled lightly at him then turned my attention back onto the crowd as they approached.
 
Daren, West and Hayden were all vampires. Blood sucking fiends with uncanny strength and a large appetite, they were my family, or as close as a human and a vampire could get to family. I wasn't necessarily human, an immortal human was the best description I could come up with for anyone who asked.
 
I watched the visitors eyes as they all looked at us eagerly. There were a total of six, and most of them looked to be friends. They stood closely to each other, one couple holding hands. I smiled up at them as they approached.
 
“Welcome back stage ladies and gentlemen.” Hayden said from the piano bench with a vast smile gracing his lips. “Find a seat if you will. Sorry we don't have any couches, the staff took over the lounge for the after party.”
 
Suddenly one of the girls burst out in admiration, “Oh my god, I can't believe I'm meeting the Hayden Corpus!” The blonde squealed as she ran over to him holding out a CD case for him to sign. Hayden laughed as he whipped out a black sharpie from his pocket and whizzed a quick note to the girl on the front and flipped it over to sign the back.
 
“And I thought all the fans were adoring our lead singer.” He said as he finished his signature and handed the case back to the girl. She smiled gleefully then shrank back to her group clutching the case tightly to her chest.
 
“You didn't honestly think that every woman in the world was a lesbian, did you?” I asked with a mischievous grin pulled across my lips. West laughed quietly to himself as he gently lifted his guitar from his lap and offered his seat to one of the women standing before him. She hurried to the seat and smiled up at him once perched on the edge of the chair. He nodded down to her, but otherwise ignored the woman once he turned to the guitar stand that stood a few feet away from him.
 
“No, but I can wish. I just thought you were the wrapper on our jar.” Hayden said with a laugh. Finally everyone had found a seat except for poor old West who was walking around his small collection of guitars and re-tuning them.
 
“So I'm the Jiffy and you're the peanut butter?” I teased with an innocent smile. Hayden shrugged but otherwise nodded. Shaking my head I turned my attention to the now seated group of backstage passes. The woman who had seated herself next to Daren was pestering him with obscene questions, but he didn't seem to mind. A man sat next to me, I hadn't really noticed him until that moment. I stared at him for a moment then flashed him my trademark smile and started up a conversation.
 
“So stranger, what's your name?” I asked calmly, the smile still present on my face.
“Mike Newton, your name is Renee Parker, right?” He extended his hand to me for a shake. I gladly took his warm hand in my own and shook it firmly. His grasp was weak at first, but once I applied pressure his own grip tightened.
 
“Just call me Renee, Parker is just a frivolity.” I said as he released my hand and turned his body towards me. It was obvious he was interested, just like all the other men I lived with.
 
“Those are contacts you are wearing, right?” His question was so sudden it took me a second to answer with a nod. No one had ever asked me that before. It was a common question for the guys to get, but it was a first time for me. Usually people could tell my eye color was unnatural. Unlike Daren, Hayden and West my eyes were a cool blue like the vast ocean.
 
“I've always wondered that. It's a trademark for you guys to have red eyes.” Mike said with a small laugh.
 
“That is why we are called The Blood Dolls.” I said with a small laugh. There was another reason we were called `The Blood Dolls' and it had nothing to do with our eye color. Then again, our name should probably just be The Blood Doll. I after all was the only one in the group with colored contacts.
 
“So, I'm curious. Are you and Daren together?” He asked, leaning in close to my face. I leaned back in reaction to his close proximity, but stopped when a whiff of something familiar caught my senses. I leaned in, almost involuntarily, and stopped only when our noses were touching.
 
“No, we're just really close… Like brother n' sister.” I inhaled his scent like it was intoxicating. To me that was exactly what it was. A drug.
 
“Is that all?” His voice quivered. I felt a shudder run though his body, but he didn't pull away. He was human, I could tell, but he had been around an absolutely delicious vampire. The scent was faint and so terribly tempting that I pressed closer to him, but suddenly found myself unable to move any further towards the man. A cold steely grip wrapped around my shoulder. Reluctantly I turned to Daren who had without turning around all the way pulled my body back from the human man. I wanted to snarl at him, like an interrupted predator during a hunt, but stopped myself. I could risk exposing us for what we were to our high paying fans.
 
“Sorry, I'll behave.” I whispered faintly as I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I knew he had heard me because his eyes glanced at me from the corner of his eyes. His hand relaxed on my shoulder, but his eyes told me to calm down, almost as an order. I swallowed a lump in my throat and turned back to Mike with a smile on my face. No sense in wasting the night.
 
“So, Mike. Where's your home town?” I was going to find who this scent belonged too one way or another.