Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams ❯ Free ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: Bella Swan has always been a disappointment to everyone, and everyone always told her that she'd never achieve her dream of being a singer. Having lost both their parents, and no other family member wanted them, Bella, now mute, and her brother, Emmett, were placed in an orphanage until Emmett turned 18, when he gained legal custody over her. Now, for the first time in four years, Bella returns to the open world, still believing that she's less than dirt. But that's all about to change…
 
 
HI! Well, this is my first Twilight Fanfic! I really hope it comes out well, considering I feel a deep connection to the story…Well, this is AU/AH and canon pairings. The chapters will be Bella POV, unless I state otherwise.
 
Ages:
 
Bella: 16
Edward: 17
Emmett: 18
Rosalie: 18
Jasper: 17
Alice: 16
Jacob: 14
 
Disclaimer: I do not own anything in relation to the Twilight saga (besides my own set of the books). The Twilight Saga belongs to Stephenie Meyer, and Stephenie Meyer alone.
 
ONWARD, READ!
 
 
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
 
Chapter 1. Free
 
I reached out towards her retreating back, trying to break free from the tight grasp that held me where I was.
 
“Mom!” I yelled, voice cracking. Why was she doing this? Why was she leaving us? “Mom, come back!” I heard someone trying to get me to settle down, but I couldn't. All I could focus on was my mother's retreating figure, leaving my brother and me here at this wretched place.
 
She stopped, and turned to look me in the eyes, a slight smirk on her lips and hate dancing across her eyes.
 
And then she said it…
 
Those words that would haunt me for the rest of my life…
 
“Don't call me mom. I could never love you enough to think of you as my daughter anyway…” she turned back around and started walking away again. Then…those few words left her mouth, almost crushing my very will to live.
 
“I hate you, Isabella Swan.”
 
I sat up and screamed. I was drenched in cold sweat. I heard someone yelling down the hall and next thing I knew, my brother, Emmett, wrenched my door open.
 
He was tall, and very big all around. He had brown, curly hair that reached just above his shoulders, and deep, brown eyes, just like mine (although people always said that mine were blank, lacking emotion). He was wearing the same, white and blue striped pajamas that all the boys at the orphanage wore, though his were a tad bit too small.
 
“Bella?!” I heard his panicked cry in the background, but I couldn't reply though, as I was not completely aware of reality. That dream…that memory…It plagued my dreams every night, but I never got to the end…never heard her say those cold, haunting words. I pulled my legs to my chest and began to sob, tears running down my face.
 
I felt Emmett take me into his arms, whispering comforting words quietly in my ear. After a bit, I finally calmed down enough to look at his face. His face was pained and worried.
 
“Was it…that…dream again?” he asked softly, careful not to make the situation worse. I only nodded, not wanting to use my voice. But, then I did something I hadn't done in four years…
 
I spoke
 
“O-Only, this t-time…” I started, my voice raspy and cracking. “I got t-to the end…” I looked down. My voice was barely above a whisper. I felt Emmett stiffen and I could tell that he was surprised to hear my voice. Then he pulled me tighter against his chest.
 
“I'm so sorry, Bells…no kid should ever hear their mother say those words…” he said softly as I felt a drop of something wet fall against my cheek. I looked up to see him crying for the first time in four years. I reached up and wiped his tears away with my finger, frowning slightly as I felt the drops against the skin of my fingers.
 
He smiled sadly, his usually big grin gone. “Oh, Bella, I'm sorry…I promised myself that I wouldn't cry,…” he sobbed slightly. “I promised myself that I wouldn't cry and stay strong for you…now look at me!” he chuckled sadly and looked down at the bed instead of me. “I'm just weak…” I frowned deeply and pulled away from him slightly.
 
“E-Emmett,” I said, trying out his name for the first time in four years. “You are n-not weak, you hear me? Y-You are the strongest person I know. Throughout m-my entire life, you were th-the only one w-who was ever there for m-me. You are th-the best big brother any g-girl could have.” I finished, looking him in the eyes.
 
He smiled slightly, wiping away the rest of his tears. We just sat there for a while in silence, then he sat up straight suddenly, as if remembering something important. He turned to me with a smaller version of his signature goofy smile. “Hey Bells…know what day it is today?” he asked, the excitement evident in his words. I shook my head. I didn't keep track of the days as well as I used to. His grin widened.
 
“It's my birthday, Bells.” He said slowly, then he continued. “It's my 18th birthday.” I only stared at him, confused. What was so special about his 18th birthday? He rolled his eyes at my expression, the grin never leaving his face. Then he said it.
 
“I can leave the orphanage now, Bells.”
 
My world froze. Leave? He was going to leave me here by myself? I look of pain and sadness washed across my features. Emmett just chuckled at me, and I glared at him. This was not funny!
 
“You don't get it, Bells.” He continued. “I'm 18 and your closest, living relative.” He looked at me, expecting me to figure it out, but my mind just went blank. He sighed.
 
“From today on, I'm your legal guardian. We can both leave the orphanage.”
 
My head was spinning. Was this true? Could we really leave? I looked Emmett in the eyes and I immediately knew the truth. Yes. Yes, we could. I smiled the biggest smile I could ever remember smiling. Only one thought was running through my mind…
 
I'm free
 
 
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
 
so…what do you think?
 
Bad?
 
Good?
 
Please review!
 
 
--Inugirl93
 
P.S. I'm also looking for a beta, if anyone's interested. =)