Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ In The Shadow Of The Sun ❯ The Truths ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2
The Truths
Leina

"Leonna, knock it off!"

Leonna shrugged weakly. "I can't help it!"

See? I'm fine! What, did you think some giant monster was gonna get me? Or did you think our new house had a maaajor cat infestation?

Let me explain. My friends aren't exactly... the most normal of people. That's a bit of an exaggeration...

Leonna is the most reasonable of us all. She has mid-back length, beautiful blonde hair. She has a gorgeous natural tan and bright green eyes.

Luna, as you saw, is the most... well... we're not entirely sure how to describe her. "Uberly hyper" would probably be the most accurate. She has beautiful pale-blonde hair that goes past her waist. Her eyes are a pale blue. Almost everything about Luna's appearance is usually pale. Note, though, it's only her physical characteristics! Her clothes match her personality: bright!

Then, after both of these beautiful girls... is me. I'm much more ordinary than them. Much more. I have brown hair with a few natural orange-red-blonde highlights. I have fairly tan skin with a few freckles on my face. The most noticeable thing about my face, though, are my eyes. Instead of Luna's pale blue or Leonna's green, I have bright, crystal blue eyes.

Now my eyes have been the cause of much staring (directed at myself). But, compared to that, that's nothing to what my friends' secrets are.

My friend Leonna is what I call a were-cat. Usually, she's in her human form. This, of course, calls less attention to her. Yet sometimes, she has to go into the cat form... or sometimes she has no choice! When she’s sick or weak, she’ll transform

Leonna slinked over to the run-down couch. She was in lion-form now. She could be different cats, but mainly she chose lion. She stretched, the laid down. She purred, happy to be inside and out of the rain.

I slowly walked over to the sofa and kneeled down. I gently laid my hand against Leonna's furry forehead.

"She feels warm... warmer than usual..."

I roamed in my bag, found a blanket and put it over Leonna. Then I decided that it was time we had some food. "It's probably best to get some food into Leonna... she should definitely get some food to get better..."

I got up, patting Leonna on the head. I navigated myself to the kitchen and looked into the small refrigerator. The only things in there were a gallon of 2% milk, bread, peanut butter, a six pack of Coke and a half-used cube of molding cheese. I grabbed the cheese and threw it out. The smell was horrid. If my nose could have ran off my face, it would have. It made you want to smash in your own nose with a sledge hammer.

I next checked the pantry. A box of macaroni, a few packets of seasoning, and a tin of hot chocolate mix. There were also a few pots, pans and other random cooking and dining-ware.

I grabbed a pot and the box of macaroni and walked over to the sink. I filled it with water and started the stove to boil the water. Right then, I saw a faint blue glow out of my peripheral vision.

“Luna! Stop trying to sneak up on me!”

Yes, Luna was the glowing “object.” Luan is a pixie-fairy. That is her secret. Like Leonna, she is usually in human-sized form. But she can also be a 3 and a half inch fairy, completely with wings and everything. She’ll also become a 1 inch glowing orb, if she wishes.

As you can see, our little family is quite beyond the ordinary.

The pixie whined. “Aw! Can’t you ever try to be surprised? It’s not fun if there’s no satisfaction in it!”

I stared at her in disbelief. “Are you kidding? You can’t possibly sneak up on people like that, Luna! You’re a frickin’ glowing blue dot! It’s kind of hard not to notice!”

Luna made a face at me. “I’m an orb, not a dot!” She folded her arms in a huff and spun on her heel away from me.

I sighed. “Sorry, Luna... hey, are you still wet?”

Luna turned around. Apparently, my teasing had been forgiven. “Yep! That’s why I didn’t fly and tickle you!”

“Thank goodness...” I muttered. Then I grinned, an interesting idea in my mind. “Hey, Luna... I think I know a way to get you dry...”

She brightened. “Really?”

“Uh huh! Let me get something.” I went into the next room where Leonna was. I went over next to the sofa, where her bag was. I reached in and brought out my objective.

“Can I borrow this?”

Leonna, still in lion-form, looked over sleepily and blinked, trying to focus. She nodded, then planted her face back into the cushion.

I pet her on the head, then took my idea to the kitchen. “Close your eyes, Luna!”

I saw the fairy cover her eyes from her position on the counter. I walked over near her and plugged in my object.

“Ready?”

“Ready!”

I turned it on and blasted Luna with a gust of hot air. After a few minutes, I flicked the switch. Luna had gotten blasted back into the back splash of the kitchen. She was perfectly dry, though.

She wobbled toward me, leaning back and forth. She stared up at me. ‘YOU HIT ME WITH HT HAIR DRYER!!!”

I laughed. “Hey, you’re dry, aren’t you?”

“THAT’S BESIDE THE POINT!” She looked down at herself. “Hey... I am dry!”

I sighed, and unplugged the hairdryer from the outlet. I looked over at the water on the stove. It was a good, rolling boil. I took the box of macaroni and poured the whole box into it, stirring for a moment.

Luna, meanwhile, had changed into human form and was changing her position of sitting every five seconds. Then she jumped up. “I’ma gonna go bother the kitty!” Then she skipped off.

“Well... that’s a smart idea, now ain’t it?”

I walked over to the pantry and grabbed the seasoning packets. I took about 3 and poured them into the boiling macaroni. The bubbles immediately slowed down as I stirred in the spices. Soon enough, I had a soup, of some sort. I turned off the burner, found three bowls and started pouring the soup.

Right then, a human (and very drowsy-looking) Leonna lumbered into the room. She collapsed into one of the wooden kitchen chairs, moaning and clutching her head. Luna bounced in after her.

“Leooooonaaaaah! Come back!”

Leonna moaned and put her head down on the table. “I feel... terrible...”

I felt terrible for her. We had just gotten to Forks, and she was already sick. I picked up her bowl and set it on the table in front of her. Then I grabbed my own and Luna’s and set those down as well, and started to eat.

We ate in silence (yes, even Luna! Amazing, ain't it?). We were so tired that we didn't even want to talk. Luna picked up her bowl and slurped up the last of her soup.

"Ah... yum! Thanks, Leina! I'ma gonna go to bed now!"

Leonna stood up, empty bowl in hand. Just remember, we've got to go to Mr. Emerson's tomorrow to sign the finalization papers... I think we should leave around nine-thirty tomorrow. That way we're getting there just about when it opens."

I laughed. "Even when she's sick, she's still the most organized and logical of us all!"

Leonna laughed weakly while Luna sprinted out of the room and shouted over her shoulder. "I GET THE BIG ROOM!!!"

Leonna hurried out. "Nuh uh! Let the sick one have the Big Room!"

I listened to the sound of them pounding up the stairs as I slowly ate the rest of my soup as I thought about what had gone on today. So much had happened today: finally reaching Forks, meeting Jacob Black, finding out about our house situation from Mr. Emerson... After all this, I need a good night's sleep!

I washed out my bowl and put it away, then went into the other room and grabbed my bag. I pulled out my red plaid sleep pants, my black tank-top, my toothbrush and hair brush. I walked into the small bathroom near the kitchen entrance. Turning the tap, I was relieved to find that the bathroom, too, had running water. I brushed my teeth, changed into my make-shift pajamas, and quickly ran the brush through my slightly tangled hair. I grabbed everything, then went back into the main room. I shoved all my stuff back into my bag, took out my sleeping bag and un-zipped it completely, creating a giant, warm blanket. Laying down on the sofa, I turned off the last remaining light and brought the cover up to my chin.

I looked around the room. A strange, tense feeling came over me. Sneaking out of my "bed", I went over to the window and looked out. I didn't see anything unnatural. I checked the rest of the windows. Then I went to the front door. It, too, was locked.

Was I just being paranoid?

I decided that I was, being in a new and different house after sleeping on the ground for a while. I slowly walked back to the sofa again and slipped back under the covers. I looked one last time at the window and thought I saw a glint of gold pass by.

Wow, I need sleep!

Ignoring my sleep-deprivation induced hallucinations, I covered my face with the sleeping bag and tried to sleep.