Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Shooting Star ❯ Small Talk ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER 4: Small Talk
 
 
It had been two weeks since we'd returned home after spending three days in the mountains. There had been no sign of the Volturi after we'd arrived home, although I'd walked in on Carlisle and Esme discussing plans a few times.
Two and a half weeks Edward and I had been married, but we could never seem to get a night alone! Alice or Esme, or sometimes even Emmett kept bursting in right before we could get our clothes off.
I sighed, looking out the window of Edward's—no it was our room now. It was sooo frustrating.
“Don't worry, it'll be soon,” Edward had assured me…but two weeks was not soon in my book. The fantasies had been popping into my mind more often…and Edward seemed to know, because right when I was thinking about things, he'd come up behind me and start kissing me…and then Alice would barge in asking me if I wanted Esme to order Chinese food.
I don't want Chinese, I want Edward! I had thought.
“Bella? Are you all right? You look mad,” Edward's silky voice greeted me as he stepped though the door, a tray of food in his hands, closing the door with his foot.
“I'm not mad,” I told him, “just frustrated.”
“I know how you feel,” he purred, running his fingers though my hair…a very distracting motion. “I brought you some lunch.” I looked down at the tray. Mushroom ravioli. I cracked up. “What's the matter?”
“Nothing,” I said trying to control my breathing, “it's just the night you saved me from those creeps in Port Angeles and took me out to dinner…I ordered mushroom ravioli!” Edward smirked at me.
“You remember what you ordered?” He asked incredulously.
“I remember everything from when I'm with you,” I said matter-of-factly.
“Oh?” He raised an eyebrow. “I'll bet I can beat you.”
“No, duh!” I said, spearing a ravioli with my fork and popping into my mouth, “you have photographic memory. That's cheating.”
“It's not cheating if it's not intentional.”
“Whatever,” I said, chewing on another ravioli.
“Can I quiz you?” Edward asked, an amused smile playing on his face.
“Why would you want to do that?” I asked.
“Just curious.”
“Fine,” I sighed, taking a drink from the can of Sprite on the tray. “Shoot.”
“Hmm,” Edward said, thinking, “What class did we first meet in?”
“Biology,” I answered immediately.
“Okay, that was an easy one. Umm…What was I wearing the day I first took you to the meadow?”
“Hmm,” I had to think a minute on that one. “A light tan sweater, with a white collar poking up from under it, and jeans. We matched.” I crunched on one of the crackers that were on a dish beside the ravioli.
“The time we played baseball in the clearing,” he started, careful to avoid the incident that had occurred shortly after, “who batted first?”
“Uh…Emmet. And Alice was pitching. Emmett hit what looked like a home run, but you run the fastest, so you caught it.”
“Amazing,” Edward breathed, and I beamed. “You know, when you smile like that, it makes me want to kiss you.”
“Does it?” I smiled again.
“You are a most dangerous creature, Bella Swan,” he whispered, leaning in close to me, our foreheads touching.
“Thank you.” I said simply as he leaned in to press his lips softly to mine. Oh, God, nothing in the world could top this. If you had come to me two years ago in Phoenix, pointed him out walking down the street and told me I would be marrying him in less than two years, I would have told you you were crazy. But now, as Edward moved his lips so gently; so lovingly against mine…those thoughts seemed miles away. The only thing that existed was his wonderful smell…his beautiful voice whispering: “I love you” in my ear…and his breathtaking lips.
“Hey, Emmett, come here,” we heard Alice's hushed whisper.
“What?” we heard Emmett's voice walk up to the door. “Oh!” Edward and I broke apart. I glared at Emmett and Alice, who were gazing on adoringly.
“What do you think you're doing?” Edward's low growl wasn't really mad, but would still scare me if it was directed my way.
“Just passin' by,” Emmett said, grinning like a banshee.
“It's your fault, Edward. You shouldn't have left the door open,” Alice's high voice said with a smile in it.
“I didn't leave the door open,” Edward said.
“Well, it's must've been a ghost or something,” Alice said passively. I rolled my eyes.
“C'mon, Alice, I think Jasper's lookin' for you,” Emmett told Alice and she skipped by him down the hall to the stairs. Emmett turned back and winked at me, “Bye, Sis,” and shut the door behind him.
“Yay!” I exclaimed as soon as I was sure it was just me and Edward again.
“What?” He asked.
“He called me Sis!” I explained. Edward sighed, rolling his eyes. “What?” I asked.
“Nothing,” he said, “all right, next question,” Edward said.
“You sound like a game show host. Wait, you want to keep asking me questions? Oh, this brings back memories.” Edward snickered.
“Of course. I'm a very curious man.”
“Fine, go ahead Alex Trabec.” Edward laughed and thought a minute.
“What exactly did I say when I proposed to you?”
“Like I'd forget that,” I scoffed, and closed my eyes, remembering. “Isabella Swan,” I quoted, “I promise to love you forever—every single day of forever. Will you marry me?”
“Word for word,” he shook his head, “Once again, I am astounded by how obsessed you are with me.”
“Yes, I'm a stalker, Edward,” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes, “that's how I got into your house and am sitting on your bed. I watch you twenty four seven.”
“If you were a stalker, and I saw you outside my window,” Edward said, wrapping his arms around me. I could feel the chill through his shirt. “I would let you in my window.”
“No doubt you would be the one coming in through my window,” I muttered.
“Uh, Bella, love? That already happened.” I rolled my eyes and he chuckled.
We talked the afternoon away, pausing only to go for a scenic run (Edward did the running) out to our meadow and back. About six o'clock Alice danced in and roped us into a family game of team Monopoly. It was pretty amusing. Who was on whose team was pretty obvious.
About half way through the game, Edward and I were second, being beat only by the Alice-Jasper team. Monopoly didn't allow Alice to use her talents very much since it was all luck—undetermined. The same aspect applied to Edward. Jasper only kept us from getting too mad at him when his and Alice's piece kept zooming around the board, buying property after property and picking up all the good cards.
Emmett got chewed out by Esme after he attempted to slip some money from the bank into his and Rosalie's funds in a blindingly fast motion. Carlisle seemed very laid back and happy; smiling through the whole game. Of course, Edward and I, being extremely competitive, got serious towards the end, and after a couple of hard deals that had Rosalie chewing her lip in indecision and a few lucky throws of the dice, we pulled ahead of Alice and Jasper.
It was midnight before we finally ended the game. In a conclusion not even Alice foresaw, Carlisle and Esme ended up bankrupting us all with their Boardwalk/Park Place empire they had built up with two hotels on each.
“And this is why Esme and I pay the bills,” Carlisle said with a laugh. We packed up the game and retreated to our separate rooms. Edward and I always got tense at night, because, although I could not read Edward's mind, and he could not read mine, I could tell what we were both thinking…
Tonight may be the night.