Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Fall of a Country ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A few days had passed since the birth of the Princess, and the entire town had celebrated the event for a short time, but then grew bored of the news, and went back to their normal life. Though, Celia and Garrus would never get over the joy it brought them to know their love had created such a beautiful baby girl. The passage of time was quite sedulous for the royal couple. They had to announce the birth to the town on the second day, and right after that, there was the baptism. As worshippers of the Ancient Atlantis, much like Freid, it was required to do so at a young age. That way, the gods would smile down upon the child, and make sure nothing bad happens to them while they are young. With as much as Garrus and Celia had been through, they firmly believed that the gods were up there, and watching over them.

On the third day, since Eiko's birth there was a festival in the morning. Townspeople got dressed up in silly costumes and paraded around town that way. A few people with musical talent came together to play beautiful tunes. And the food that everyone had donated to the castle was beyond amazing. The citizens had truly gone out of their way to welcome the new life into their country.

So, the fourth day came around. It was a day of rest for the royal family, as well as everyone in the palace. Celia was confined to the castle. She couldn't walk for prolonged periods of time, until she healed properly from that birth. Not to mention the day prior had tired her out a bit. Day slowly melted into evening, and stars began to peek out through the darkened sky. The Mystic Moon was full and bright, much brighter than it normally had been. Large blocks of light poured in through the long window in the Omoran castle, creating several patches of white on the quilt of the bed. Celia sat up in her bed, bathed in the moon's glow. Within her arms, she cradled the princess. Eiko wriggled around in her mother's grasp, and then the tiny arms reached up, grasping a hold of a small locket that dangled around Celia's neck.

"Do you like that...?" The queen smiled down to her child, and her hand went forward, removing the baby's grasp from the charm for a brief moment. Celia pressed her thumb against the edge, and opened up the locket part. Upon unsealing, a music box started up within, playing a soft tune. Eiko's eyes lit up with amazement, and an excited coo escaped her. Celia grinned, and she leaned into Eiko's ear, allowing her voice to carry the words to the song that was playing. A song of the ancient Saercarians, and one her own mother had sung to her when she was a little girl. Some traditions just couldn't die. And the young girl grabbed the locket, bringing it into her mouth as it played it's tune. A soft smile brushed Celia's lips, and she leaned in holding the final note of the song, and then she planted a gentle kiss on the side of her daughter's head. The baby gleamed with delight, and continued to chew on the side of that necklace.

The door creaked open slowly, and Garrus emerged in the doorway. A bright grin was ever-present upon his lips as he watched his wife and child on the bed, "And what are my two beautiful girls doing up this late...? Shouldn't you both get your beauty rest? We really do have to rise early tomorrow morning..."

"Oh, Garrus..." Celia smiled up at him. Her hand reached forward and swept a few strands of fair-hair back atop Eiko's head. "I'm certain it won't be that big of deal. The prophet will probably give our baby a wonderful prediction ... because I cannot see that she won't have anything but happiness in her life. Especially with such loving parents, no?"

"Aye...right ye are again, little lady..." Garrus started up with a faux accent, and then he reached forward to snatch away his daughter, who had extended her arms for her father with a happy coo. He gathered the bundle up, and sank onto the side of the bed. Dark spheres locked on the glowing visage, and he reached his hand forward to allow fingers to dance over the tiny stomach. Eiko wriggled beneath the tickling, and curled her toes as a line of crystal saliva dribbled down her chin. Garrus couldn't help but chuckle at this, reaching forward to swipe away the mess with the sleeve of his robe. Celia scooted closer toward her husband and daughter, watching on with a lighthearted twinkle in those dual sepia spheres.

"She's going to be a beautiful girl..." Celia leaned her head against Garrus's arm as she looked down at Eiko.

"Just like her mother..." Garrus lifted his gaze to her, and leaned in so that those lips could press gently against his queen's forehead.

"You are a terrible, terrible man Garrus Omoi ... with your abundance of flattery..." Celia chuckled with a wink.

"Oh ho ho...you had better believe I am..." The king trailed off as soon as Eiko began to make some baby noises. His gaze dropped to her and he tipped his head. "You agree huh? Well...I'll be...everyone is against me eh? Well for that, little missy...you are going to have to retire to your cradle."

Celia smiled and sat up so that Garrus could move away. The king carried her over to the crib with ease, and then he set her down within. Fingers curled around the bars as he watched her yawn, and then wriggle around somewhat. He reached in, and pulled the soft, cream-colored blanket over the tiny frame, leaving her to sleep. After a few more moments of looking over the peaceful form, Garrus turned around to go back to his queen.

"I suggest we take the example given to us and apply it to ourselves..." He chuckled, and climbed into the bed beside her.

"I reckon we shall.." Celia tried to mimic that accent Garrus created earlier, but her attempt was hardly as believable as her husbands. Still, she cuddled up close to the king, and let out a sigh of content. Strong arms encircled the delicate configuration of the Saercarian's, and Garrus lowered his chin to rest atop her forehead.

"I will always love you, Celia...I never want to lose you again."

"You'll never have to worry about that, my king. I will never leave your side ever..."



The canvas of night slowly took on several lighter hues until the brightest possible morning portrait was painted. The sun sneaked it's way over the mountains and hills, allowing light to pour over the land. Sounds of life crept back into the atmosphere, but still some animals preferred to be a tad on the slothful side. Most babies were nestled up against their parents, no matter what the species. A parental bond was inescapable to most living beings-mammals in particular.

But, all was quiet in the Castle...well...the king's room anyway. Apparently staying up late the night before had taken it's toll on all three members of the royal family. Garrus and Celia were nestled together in the blankets, dozing away while morning steadily passed, and Eiko slumbered peacefully not making one sound or one movement-save the rise and fall of the tiny chest as air was drawn in. Down in the kitchen, the cooks busily prepared their meals for they knew exactly what the king and queen wanted first thing in the morning. Daynus reclined back on a straw chair, watching those servants bustle around and he chuckled some. It never ceased to amaze him how mechanical a group of people could be. Everyone handled pots and pans swiftly, and the way they mixed things...apparently they had gotten used to these activities and really didn't have to put much thought into doing them. It was impulse. The messenger rolled his shoulders back, and lifted a hand to sift through the short-cropped, jet hair. The loose sleeve of an olive colored fabric hung downward and swayed with the motion. Daynus really had nothing much to do. There were no messages to deliver or duties to be done, and he couldn't really sleep well...what with all the racket going on beside his room. So, it looked like the height of his excitement was to watch the others activities.

That worn boot tapped absently on the floor, and Daynus shifted his position once again to lean forward. His head tilted, and his eyes happened to land on his wife. Fanis looked truly beautiful that morning. Golden strands were twisted back away from her face, and she was clad in a yellow gown that had white lace lining areas such as the collar, ends of sleeves, and the bottom of the skirt. A smile creased the messenger's lips, and he sat upright, before he pushed himself to his feet.

"So there's my little ray of sunshine..." Daynus gave a corny grin, probably having picked up the compliment from his closest 'friend.'

The handmaiden smiled some at the comment, and then she tilted her head, "What are you doing up so early...? You're normally sleeping in until late morning...if not busy on some errand..."

"Well...nothing for me to do really. And I couldn't get back to sleep..." He rubbed the back of his neck, sparing an accusing glance toward the kitchen members who were unaware of the blatant look. His attention drifted back toward Fanis, and he shrugged. "So...I just decided to...be awake. Up with the birds...or...something."

She laughed softly, "Well...I'll be able to keep you company once I wake up Garrus and Celia and bring them their breakfast..."

"Can't wait..." Daynus grinned and called after her as she walked into the kitchen to receive the tray.

A silver platter was raised carefully, containing two meals and two drinks. Fanis balanced it out, and then gave Daynus one more smile, before she made her way up the steps. She reached the door, and twisted her form so that she could knock lightly without spilling the contents of the tray. A sigh slipped past those lips as she got no answer, and so she struggled to get the door open for a bit, finally succeeding in that.

"Everyone's still asleep it seems..." She thought aloud, and then made her way into the royal chamber, setting the tray down on a stand beside the bed. "Garrus...Celia... you two should be waking up...you've got a big day ahead of you, and you have to be out of here soon..."

The king stirred, and then groaned some as his sleep was disturbed. Those eyes opened and came to focus on Fanis as he yawned out a 'good morning'...and then reached over to nudge Celia lightly. Her awakening came even harder than Garrus's, and she rolled onto her side, mumbling something incoherently, before she just dozed off again. Fanis smiled some, and just waited silently for the queen to get up. But, far better than any alarm ever known was the sound of a baby's cry. Eiko whined some, and then just branched off into wails. Celia sighed, and then sat up using her palm to push aside the covers as she swung her feet over the side and made her way over to her daughter. She scooped her up, and rocked her gently, trying to sooth her with words. Eiko calmed some, but her hunger caused her to be a bit irritable. Celia lifted her gaze toward Fanis and then to Garrus.

"I'm going to feed her...I'll be only a moment..."

She received nods from both, and then carried her daughter into the back room. Fanis clasped her hands in front of herself, watching after Celia for a few moments. But, she was snapped back into reality and quickly moved to the tray, lifting Garrus's breakfast and handing it toward the king with a brief smile.

"You don't want to let it get cold now do you...?"

Garrus was a tad lethargic, and he raised his palm to swipe some sleep away from his eyes, "Mmph...I guess not..." He brought the fork up, and let the end poke through his food as he brought it into his mouth. Those eyes wandered toward the direction that Celia went, and then raised toward Fanis with a nod of approval at the taste of the food. Fanis smiled in return, and grasped a side of the skirt she wore, curtseying toward the king.

It was then, that Celia returned, dabbing Eiko's tiny mouth with a cloth. The child seemed much more at peace than earlier, and she wriggled around aimlessly within her mother's arms. Celia slowly made her way to Fanis, and she extended the baby to her, "Fanis...do you think you could take her in to dress her in the ceremonial garments...? I'll eat quickly...and then we'll both get dressed and come to receive her afterward..."

"Of course, Celia..." The handmaiden bowed her head, and then reached forward to accept Eiko in her arms.

Celia let her go completely, and smiled with a nod as she went to the tray and brought her food back to the bed. Fanis supported the frail body, and took a moment to adjust to the way it felt to have such a tiny life-form in her arms. A smile settled into her lips, and those eyes lit up with delight as she carried the girl out of the room, closing the door behind herself. Swift steps brought the baby as well as the handmaiden into the room across the hall, and she set Eiko down on a dressing table, pulling the garb from a shelf.

"Well...you get to be all prettied-up for the ceremony today..." Fanis smiled to the baby, who found a strange fascination with a cloth diaper that had been placed there for this as well. Eiko grabbed it, and waved her arms around wildly, watching the way the fabric moved. "Hm...you're going to help me out, are you?"

Fanis beamed brightly, and made her way to Eiko's side, taking the diaper from her and in a few moments, she began to change the previous one. Fanis may not have had her own child, but she certainly knew how to take care of one. The diaper changing was quick, but gentle...and she placed the pins carefully in the sides of the fresh one, before she nodded toward the girl with a grin to signify she was all done. The only thing that remained was putting the dress on her. She straightened it out, and undid the silver buttons in the back, before she lifted the baby upright to make it easier. Slender digits curled around a small arm, and that was placed through a silken sleeve. The other one followed suit, and Fanis picked up Eiko slowly, just to turn her around. Each button went into it's proper slot, and she grinned...scooping up the child again.

"All done!" The elder of the two exclaimed and twirled around baby Eiko, who squeaked and squealed happily in return. Fanis smiled once more, and brought the infant close, planting a few kisses on a chubby cheek.

"Lady Fanis...?" A messenger stepped into the room, and bowed her head respectfully. "King Garrus and Queen Celia are ready for the ceremony..."



The ceremony hall was a timeworn place that seemed as though it had been there since the beginning of time. The stone walls were oddly discolored, and many pieces were breaking off or eroding from the shift in weather. But, still it stood. And as tradition had it, all the special liturgies needed to be held there. Behind the arched door way, there was an aisle that led to an altar at the very end. Rickety pews were strewn about on either side. Behind the altar itself, was a large Atlantean symbol, followed by a stone that had some ancient writing engraved upon it. For this particular event, a bowl of blessed water had been placed out on a table as well as a ritual dagger and cloth.

Garrus, Celia, and Eiko had to go alone into the temple itself. But, guards stood outside to protect them if need be. Celia hesitated, and then she looked up toward Garrus. Both proceeded down the aisle together, and they stopped before the wooden upraised structure. They waited quietly, and then both perked up as the prophet of their town made his way out. He was bedecked in a robe of many colors, and a tall hat lay atop his head. Within his hand, he carried a staff which had a prismatic type of crystal at the top of it. Chestnut locks strayed from the headpiece, and eyes, that seemed to be a shade of brown with a lavender tint, landed on the couple. He raised gloved palms for the child, and Celia, who was a bit unsettled by the man's silent exterior, hesitantly handed over her daughter.

The prophet took her swiftly over to the table, and Eiko started to whine a bit, but she quickly silenced as she watched the water swirl about in the bowl. He first dipped his finger in the water, and dabbed it on both sides of her cheeks. Balancing the baby in one arm, he used the dagger to prick the very end of his finger. A few red droplets surfaced and he brought the ruby liquid over her forehead in the shape of the Atlantean symbol. Eiko scrunched up her nose in disapproval, and her hand went to brush away the water on her cheek with a few disgruntled sounds. Celia and Garrus exchanged looks during the awkward silence. But, the quietude of the scene was abruptly interrupted by the chanting of unknown words.

The man paused, and then turned to face the king and queen, "She will live very long, and do many great things within her time. Though...she will not be here within Omora for the majority of it." He shifted his gaze back toward Eiko. "Fifteen years from birth, the princess shall arise...and return to the beautiful Omora with the safety of the current Fanelian King.. She shall take the throne, and reign as Queen, alongside the chosen Prince. Together, they will lead Omora to prosperity. It has already been foreseen...and so shall it be."

"She...won't be in Omora...t-then...where will she...? Why won't she be here...? Is something going to happen...?" Celia blinked, and quickly reached for her child, taking her up in her arms.

"The gods only reveal something's to those with the gift of sight..." The prophet stated plainly, and then looked toward both of them. "Now then...blessed be you three with riches and love from the ancient Draconian gods...fare thee well.."

The three watched on as the Prophet disappeared into the back. Eiko squirmed and made a few cooing sounds as she was in her mother's arms. Celia glanced up at Garrus with an uneasy look, and they all made their way out of the temple...going back to the castle. The prophet eyed them as they left, and simply smirked.


* * *


Roughly three months had passed since they received the strange prediction. Celia was kneeling on the floor while Eiko lay on her stomach on a pastel colored blanket. She lifted her head up, and her chest a tad as well, a smile was given to her mother. Celia grinned back, and leaned forward, those ebony strands pouring over her shoulders. A slender digit moved forward, and tapped Eiko on the nose. Celia let out a soft laugh, and moved back to watch her daughter. The infant was not yet able to crawl, but it wouldn't be too long before she could. And she just flopped back on her stomach...kicking her legs behind her with a bubbly gurgle. Garrus sat on the very edge of the bed, and a wide grin seized his lips.

"She's becoming a strong one huh?" He leaned in, and swept the baby up, setting her down on his knee. Eiko blinked, and then let out a squeal of delight as she recognized her father. She reached out and grasped a hold of his robe, tugging on it lightly.

"Dadadada..." Eiko let those syllables slip past her lips with each tug.

Celia beamed, and glanced toward Garrus...before she walked over to the two, "That's right, Eiko...that's your 'Dada' "

"S-sir!!"

A rather distressed voice broke into the serenity of the room. Garrus blinked, and raised his head in the direction of the door, only to lift Eiko off his lap and hand her to Celia so he could open it up. In the hallway, there stood a rather young soldier. His eyes were wide with fright, but he waited to be addressed before he spoke.

"What is it, lad...?" Garrus appeared concerned, yet his voice seemed calm.

"You're Majesty...Omora is under siege!! It's the dragons from the valley! They've wandered up this way and are currently wreaking havoc on the entire country! What should we do, your majesty??"

Celia gasped, and swiftly moved to Garrus's side. The king's mouth hung agape, and he cringed as he heard the loud stomps rumbling through the village. Blood curdling screams cut through the rest of the noise of shouting and panicked villagers. Eiko began to cry at the untranquil noises from within the area, and Celia tried to silence her, though she was certain that her baby could sense the fright within herself. Garrus sent a somber glance in Celia's direction. He couldn't leave the country...and he knew that she couldn't either. His lips set together, and he let his eyes find their way back to the awaiting boy.

"Get the 'melef units ready...try to hold them off as best as you can. I'll go out and help as well...after I do something..." His gaze lowered to Eiko, and he felt the burning sensation in his throat. His eyes stung with salty droplets, but he forbid them to fall. He finally understood what the prophet had meant, and he knew Celia did as well. "Please find Fanis and Daynus and send them up here..."

The youth nodded, and scurried off to deliver the messages. Garrus looked after him for a long while, before a violent shiver crept up his spine, and he twisted his form, deciding to release his sorrow in the form of anger. A fist pounded against a small table, and he watched the vase of white-painted roses shatter on the ground. Liquid oozed out, and the flowers landed atop each other in a messy heap. He raised his hands, and clenched his fists around his hair. He would have pulled it out of the roots had he not just let his knees give way. The weight was too unbearable to hold up any longer. Tears mingled with the dirtied plant water, but it wasn't only his own. Celia was sharing the tears with him. She slowly walked to her husband, balancing Eiko in one arm, so that she could lay her hand gently on her husband's back. Her chin moved in, and rested on the crook where neck and shoulder connected.

"We have no choice, Garrus..." Celia sucked in a deep breath, and tried to put her sorrow on hold while she consoled her heartbroken king. "But she'll be safe...you'll see...she will return and lead our country..."

Garrus lifted his head, and looked toward her with tearstained cheeks. Celia could only offer a weak, solemn smile. He let his gaze move to his beautiful daughter, and a hand reached out to touch a rosy cheek gently, "I love you, Eiko...I love you so very much. I know you'll not remember me..." He features contorted, and he looked as though he was about to break down again, but he forced it back with a deep breath. "But I-I will never forget you. You're beautiful face...and innocent eyes. Only happiness will you bring to the world...and anyone who meets you. Only love and joy to anyone who befriends you...and he...who falls in love with you..." Garrus's lower lip trembled. "Will be the happiest person in the world. I love you, Eiko...so much. You represent hope...for this country. I know you will shine down upon it...in it's time of need...I..."

Garrus couldn't speak any longer, he was far too choked up. Eiko looked up at her father with those bright eyes, and watched his actions with curiosity. But, she was far too young to understand, or try to offer any help...so the only thing she could say was, "Dadadada..."

Celia's eyes sparkled with the tears that threatened to fall. Her onyx lashes befell those spheres and she hung her head in sorrow. It was then, that Fanis and Daynus stepped into the room. Both instantly moved over to the couple, though..unsure of what to do. Neither knew quite what was expected of them. Celia frowned, and raised her attention toward the two. Her gaze moved to Garrus, who refused to stand or look at either of them. Reluctantly, she pushed herself up to her feet, embracing her daughter tightly. It would be the last time, she ever got a chance to do so.

"Fanis... y-you remember...that promise you made me. About taking care of Eiko...were something to happen to Garrus and myself...?"

"Yes...of course, Celia. Why...? Is something..." Fanis didn't let herself finish the sentence. The current attack, the death, the fright of the citizens... she understood. A nod was given, as she silently agreed to take their daughter to safety.

Celia gave them both a sad smile, and she placed a kiss atop the young child's head, "I love you, my Eiko... and I know that you will lead a wonderful life. Daynus and Fanis will take care of you...as well as we ever could. But we will never ever forget you..." The queen's brows knit together with emotional pain as she handed the young girl into awaiting arms.

Garrus pushed himself up quickly, and looked toward his most trusted friends desperately, "You will take care of her right? You will love her like we did...and make sure she's always happy...right?"

"Of course, Garrus..." Daynus nodded toward the king, and then sighed as he glanced toward their new 'child', and then toward Celia.

"Keep her name the same..." Garrus moved toward him. "That way...she'll know somehow or another that she is a part of us. Even if she does believe it is your last name...she'll know...that ... she'll just know...!" He would have liked to believe that, but this was his only way of knowing for sure that she would grow up as an Omoi. Those words received nods from the two.

Celia reached behind her neck, and unclasped a small, golden locket. Placing it in the palm of her hand, she closed her fingers around it and mumbled a few words. A brilliant incandescence flickered around her hand, and eventually it all absorbed into the necklace itself. Her body trembled with anguish, and she moved forward, extending the locket toward the two. "Give this to her. Once she's old enough to wear jewelry, make sure she has this...and wears it always." Her attention lifted to Garrus slowly. "She'll remember. If not in her mind...in her heart. She'll always know that she is special...and she'll always know that we exist. Our faces may be forgotten...but our love will never dissipate. And when she watches the stars at night...and the mystic moon glows brightly...she'll know that we're watching down over her from the heavens. She'll know that we're guarding her from harm. So, don't be sad, Garrus...we'll never be forgotten..."

Garrus regarded Celia for a long while, only to nod in agreement with her words. A faint, emotional smile was given, although he could no longer voice any of these emotions. He simply moved toward his daughter, and let quivering lips brush her forehead as he stepped back to take one final look at his precious flesh and blood. Of his own life, Eiko was created. And with the destruction of that life, hers would begin anew. There was no one...more suited to deliver that new life than Fanis and Daynus themselves. So, with no choice left...but to let them go, he turned away so he didn't have to watch his daughter disappear from his sight. The tears streamed steadily down the sides of his face, and he felt the eyes burn into him. As they left, he could faintly hear the cooing child...softly uttering.. "Dadadada..."