Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ A New Beginning ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
On that day, Omora was completely decimated. The dragons completely ravaged the land, killing many fighters ... and even more innocents. The country lay in ruins, and only the few survivors were left to rebuild the damaged area. It was a tragedy indeed, and became the topic of discussion for many countries, who offered their condolences to the remaining citizens. Most places in Gaea had extended their help by lending people or money to aid in the reconstruction. And what had happened to Garrus and Celia that day remained unknown.

Fanis and Daynus, however, did make it to safety with baby Eiko. And after several days of travel through the dangerous forests, they wound up in Fanelia. With very little money to start, they couldn't very well go farther than that country. So despite the wars that had gone on between Omora and Fanelia, they were stuck there. Luckily, the villagers accepted them, and they passed themselves off as far-distant relatives of the Omoi's...brandishing the same last name as they had promised Garrus they would do. No one thought ill of this, and everyone lived in peace. Fanis had set up a flower garden, and to help bring in money she sold lovely bouquets to the villagers. Daynus, had taken his knowledge in weapon making and repairs, and started up his own blacksmithing business. Eventually they brought in enough currency to buy their own home instead of staying in that Inn, and all the while they kept their promise to their departed friends-taking care of their daughter and treating her like their own.

So, five years had passed since that horrible day, and life in Fanelia had really not been as bad as someone from an opposing country might of expected. It was just a typical morning, where everyone had completed breakfast in the 'Omoi' home, and they went their separate way right afterward. Daynus was preparing himself to go into his shop, combing through hair that would only wind up messy toward the end anyway. Fanis gathered up the plates and brought them over toward the small bowl of water that she had currently been heating up to wash them in. As for the princess, she was currently kneeling, on a seat of sorts, before one of the windows, and she stared out of the transparency longingly. Within her viewing range, a group of kids were running around the square-laughing, squealing, and generally having fun while they all played. Eiko was never really allowed out of the house, mostly for her well-being...but she just wished sometimes she could go out and play with the others. There wasn't anything wrong with her, right? She was a typical five year old girl, who could have fit in with the other children. Or, so she had hoped.

"What's my little girl doing over there by the window, huh?" Daynus finished tying up his loose-fitting, tan shirt and he made his way over toward Eiko with a grin.

"Hm?" The young girl spun away from the view to the outside world. She smiled brightly once her gaze landed on her 'father', "Nothing, father. Are you getting ready to go?"

Eiko hopped down off of her perch, and ran over to throw her arms around Daynus's legs. He chuckled, and bent forward, lifting her up to his level, "Not without getting a kiss from my favorite daughter in the whole world of Gaea."

Daynus leaned forward before the girl had any opportunity to react, and just planted several pecks atop her crown. A giggle emitted from childish lips, and Daynus stopped to set her back down on the floor. He smiled after her as she ran back to that window. Then, the blacksmith turned in the direction of Fanis and made his way over to her with a sigh.

"Fanis..."

The blonde stopped in the middle of her dishwashing and closed her eyes with a sigh, "I know what you're going to say..." She turned around to face him; the folds of her dress swayed with the movement. Then, her voice was lowered considerably. "Do you really think it's a good idea to let her out into the streets after knowing just who she is?"

"No one else knows that--"

"--but still. We need to protect her, and the only way to do that is--"

"--have her under our complete supervision all miets of the day," Daynus finished her sentence for her, and then looked toward Eiko, his eyes saddening. "But just look at her. She longs to be out there so much. It's not fair of us to keep her inside for the rest of her life."

Fanis frowned and followed his gaze to their 'daughter', "I know. But I just don't feel safe unless I know where she is."

Daynus pondered for a moment, and then circled his wife with a grin; hands were placed on her arms, "Then I have an idea..."

Fanis seemed slightly amused by the sudden excitement, "Do you?"

"Yes! I can take her into work with me today. Now I know it's not an ideal place, but she knows not to touch the sharp items. And work has been rather slow as it is...I'm really only limited to sharpening and polishing a few things. Plus, Jonas Arem has a daughter about Eiko's age, that he brings in with him from time to time. I think that Eiko would get along with her very well..."

"Oh, Daynus...I don't know..."

"Fanis, I would be able to watch her the whole time. It would be good for her to get out. Besides, if we keep cooping her up in here, the townsfolk will start to suspect that something is wrong."

Fanis sighed defeatedly and then gave a nod toward her husband. Daynus's features lit up instantly, and he brought her close to himself, embracing her tightly as means of properly thanking her without saying it in so many words. A gentle reinforcement of that hug was her way of relaying the phrase 'you're welcome.' Daynus leaned in, pressing his lips softly to his wife's and then he turned away, coming up behind Eiko. The girl blinked as the shadow hung over her, and she turned her upper body so that she could glance up at him.

"Eiko...how would you like to come to work with me today?"

"Can I?? Can I really?" Darkened spheres lit up with delight as she hopped down excitedly.

"Now...would I lie...?" Daynus sank down to her level, and held out his hands for the child-which she happily accepted.

Tiny arms were thrown about her father's neck, "Thank you, father! Thank you so much!"

Fanis allowed a brief smile to come into her lips as she looked up from her dishwashing. She paused the daily chore, and wiped her dampened hands on her apron, "Eiko...I've got to get your clothes first. You can't very well go out in your pajama's can you?"

Eiko blinked, and looked down at herself with a slight giggle. She bounded off into her bedroom, and awaited her 'mother' to come and get the dress. Her hands were placed on both sides of her bedding, and she hopped up onto it, swinging bare feet over the side. The young girl tipped her head aside, as she listened to her 'parents' talk. Though, she couldn't really make out the words, she could only tell that they were saying things back and forth. Eiko didn't mind though. She was overly excited about actually getting out of the house. She had been in the garden with her mother from time to time, but never that far away from the house. It was exhilarating to think that she might actually meet some new people. Maybe even people her age. Though, she knew she couldn't get too hopeful about that. Her father worked around weapons, not toys.

After a few more moments of waiting, Fanis stepped into the room. She grinned over at Eiko, and commented about dressing her up nice as she made her way to the closet, and searched through the hand-sewn dresses. Eiko regarded this with faint interest. Feet were swung onto the bed, and she tucked them beneath herself to sit on her knees. The blonde pulled out a light blue dress, and that was set on the bed. Drawers were opened so that Fanis could gather the undergarments. Once that was all completed, she lay them out neatly on the bed, and smiled toward Eiko.

"Once you get that all on...call for me and I'll do up your buttons..."

"All right, mother..." Eiko smiled pleasantly, and watched her mother leave the room.

Her attention landed on the clothes pile, and she got to work once the door was closed behind herself. She could get on the panties right...but it was those petticoats that always gave her trouble. She struggled with putting on the puffy thing, and managed to do so after a while of tangling herself up in the lace and fabric. She tied that appropriately, and then chewed on her bottom lip. Just one more article of clothing to go! The light cyan dress was shrugged over her shoulders, and it bunched awkwardly in the front, but that problem would be fixed once it was buttoned.

"Mother! I'm done!" The child's voice rang out in almost a singsong way.

There was a momentary pause before the door was opened a crack and then the rest of the way. Fanis smiled lightly and stepped over to Eiko. The girl spun around and her mother slipped each button one-by-one into its respectful slot. Once the last one was in place, Fanis scooted back and let her hands rest on her thighs. Eiko turned to face the golden-haired woman, only to get a warm smile in return. The mother reached over to grasp a hairbrush off of the bureau. She motioned Eiko closer, and the girl followed along. Bristles delicately touched silken, jet strands and separated the tangled that were found within.

"I want you to be a good girl and don't touch any of the sharp weapons. You also have to listen to your father. If he says to stay away from something...you must do it. Do you understand...?" Fanis gathered her daughter's hair together and then gave a few strokes to it with the brush.

Eiko giggled some, and nodded once so as not to disturb the work her mother was doing, "Of course, mother...I know to listen to father."

"Good. It makes me very proud to hear you say that..." Fanis took a ribbon and tied it loosely around the locks, before she put the brush away. "Well...you're all ready to go. But, before you go out to your father, I want a kiss goodbye."

Eiko smiled and rushed her arms around the woman, planting a kiss on her cheek, "Good-bye, mother...I'll see you soon. I love you."

"I love you too, sweety. You be careful, all right?"

Eiko nodded in response and then ran off to meet Daynus so that this wonderful day could finally begin. The father stood beside the door expectantly, and sure enough, he turned to hear the pounding of tiny feet against the hard wood floor. A slight chuckle escaped his lips, and he offered his hand to the girl. She beamed and latched onto it with petite fingers. The blacksmith opened up the door slowly, and the cold rush of outside air struck them both. Eiko shivered in reaction, but the grin only widened as she caught sight of the busy villagers.

A few men pushed heavy carts carrying various items either to buildings or people themselves. Adults laughed heartily, and talked about casual life-business, wives, husbands, children, ect. There were a few animal cries as cattle were led from one pen to the next. Merchants sold off their items to eager patrons. But, what caught Eiko's attention the most was the group of children who were at play in the center of the town. The ones she had been watching for so long from her window, that they had almost seemed surreal. But now she could see that they were quite existent. There were six of them-four boys and two girls. They chased each other around, laughing all the while at their game. She remembered them doing something similar a few days ago...only different people were chasing each other. She wished she could have joined in. What she wouldn't have given to learn those rules to the merriment, and just been able to laugh and play like that.

Eiko was pulled back into reality when she felt a tug on her hand. Daynus offered a light smile to her, and guided her off the steps of their home. Once Eiko was a part of the crowd, she was enveloped in the chatter and noise. The girl strained to glance around the people, and in between groups toward the children at play, but they grew farther and farther away from her sight as her father led her to that place of business. She felt the goosebumps that had risen up from the cold air, slowly disappear back into her flesh-leaving it smooth once again. A few birds cried overhead, and soared through the sky. Eiko lifted her attention to this, and smiled. Everything was just so..wonderful. She had only dreamed of leaving the house this far, and there she was. In the center of life itself...where everyone went out and did their daily duties. It was casual, and boring to most, but not to Eiko. This was the most thrill the child had ever gotten in her entire life.

"We're almost there, Eiko..." Daynus finally spoke up. He had been so amused just watching the wonderment and awe on his daughter's face, that he didn't want to disturb her experience until he needed to.

The girl blinked, and looked toward her father with a smile and a nod. Honestly, she didn't want to leave the outdoors, but she was kind of curious to see her father's work place. They approached a fairly venerable building. Four wooden steps led to the large oaken doorway, and on the small porch lay a few tools such as saws and iron hammers. Daynus carefully led her up those stairs, and into the place itself. Eiko gasped as she moved inside, but then it branched off into a cough; the lingering saw dust tickled her throat. Shelves upon shelves were stacked with chisels or various pieces of scrap metal. Display weapons were also placed out beside the counter for business. Daynus led her further inside, and into the back room where all the work took place. A large iron block stood before a stool. Eiko blinked, and studied that for a moment, before her eyes swept the fairly empty room...save the swords that needed repaired or armor that needed shined. Her attention returned to Daynus who was watching her the entire time.

"This is where I make all of the weapons..." He stated calmly, as though he sensed the confusion in his daughter. "I use all the items in here...but...maybe I'll show you when your older. It's a bit dangerous for you to be around here now..."

Eiko tilted her head toward the various things Daynus motioned to as he spoke, and then her gaze lifted to him as she nodded in return. It was sort of neat to see the tools he used from day to day, but she wasn't all that intrigued with it. She sighed softly, and lifted her hand to collect a few ebon strands, sweeping those away from her face. Daynus laughed with mild amusement, and then kneeled before her.

"Don't tell me you're bored already..."

The darkened spheres lifted to her father, and she shook her head, "No...it's not that. I just... I sorta want..." Eiko's brows came together as she tried to get out her thoughts and ideas. She knew there was no way possible that he would allow her to leave and she was foolish to even ask, but still she wanted to play with those children.

"Hm..." His features softened some, and he stared at her with deep interest, "What is it, Eiko...?"

The girl opened her mouth to respond, but she heard the door open with a creek as well as the sounding of the bell that was attached to it. Daynus blinked, and pushed himself upright. A hand went forward to ruffle that black-hair of Eiko's, and afterward he made his way to the counter. The youth stood behind, looking on for a moment, before overwhelming curiosity got to her, and she bounded out into the room as well, standing beside her father's side. A small gasp caught in her throat as her eyes landed on the people who had arrived there.

"Jonas! I was hoping you would come by today..." Daynus leaned forward, resting an elbow on the surface of that counter.

A rather gruff looking man stepped forward. He was a tad heavy set, and it showed simply in his face. Light hair was ragged, and hung in uneven clumps to the nap of his neck. A bushy mustache was his most notable feature, though the light blue eyes landed on the blacksmith, "Were ya?"

"Yeah...this is my daughter...Eiko... ...Eiko?" Daynus blinked down at her.

Eiko however was amazed at the sight before her. By Jonas's side was a little girl. She was a few inches taller than Eiko, and completely the contrast of the young princess's appearance save the fair skin. This other child had lovely golden locks that cascaded to her shoulders, whereas Eiko's hair was pitch black. Bright crystal azure's matched the hue of the sky...deep sepia matched the reflective surface of obsidian. The two girls shared a stare, but Eiko broke it once she felt her shoulder shaken by a larger hand.

"Eiko...this is Jonas Arem...and his daughter Briassa.." Daynus introduced.

"How do you do, little princess?" Jonas gave her a warm smile.

Daynus tightened up at those words. It had caught him off guard really, though, he did his best to try and relax. If he acted uptight it would draw suspicion, and that was the last thing he needed. So, he plastered on a grin, and glanced to his daughter.

"Hi...to both of you..." Eiko smiled, not really sure how greetings went. She did her best to be polite like her mother, but she never really had any experience with people.

"Hi!" Briassa grinned to the girl, thus proving she was the less shy of the two.

"Hey listen, Daynus...I gotta ask you a few questions. Think the girls can go out and play for a bit...? Might be a while after all..."

Eiko heard those words, and her eyes lit up with delight. Her gaze went toward her father, and brows came together in a pleading manner. Daynus looked down at her first, and sighed somewhat. He knew that Fanis wouldn't like it, though, he couldn't exactly say no. This was one of his most important customers after all! His lips pressed together, and he nodded to Eiko. The girl's heart leapt with joy as the nod was given, and then she grinned back at Briassa who returned the excitement with a bright smile of her own.

"C'mon...let's go! I'll introduce you to all the kids I play with..." Briassa motioned her to follow.

"Okay!" Eiko beamed, and then skipped off after the other girl. Her dreams...all she had hoped for...for so long was about to come true. It was a fine day all right, though Eiko hadn't a clue that this fine day would be quite the fateful one as well.