Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Fateful Meeting ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The wind once again played it's way through the area. A few dry leaves skidded across the dirt and tumbled off into the distance. The two girls stood outside on the porch for a moment. Eiko shivered in reaction to the burst of cold air, but Briassa seemed to welcome it, taking a step forward and puffing out her chest so that the breeze could strike. The blonde-haired girl then hopped down the steps, skipping the very last one so she could just leap to the ground. Tiny feet hit the dirt and allowed it to scatter up behind herself. She giggled some, and then turned back in Eiko's direction.

"Are you coming?"

"Oh...um...sure."

Eiko carefully walked down those stairs, hanging onto the railing for support. The final step landed her beside the other girl, and Eiko offered a slight smile. Briassa returned it, only to grasp Eiko's hand and tug her off into the crowd.

"The place where we play is a bit further from here. Gotta watch out for horses though. They might trample us if they don't see, ya know? Say...how come I haven't seen you around before today?" Briassa peeked over at Eiko inquisitively.

"Well...I..." Eiko started, but then her shoulders slumped. "My parents don't let me out much." Much? More like never... "But, I'm glad my father did today. So...what type of games do you play?"

"Well, right now...we play this game where we pretend to be the people at the castle. I'm Queen Varie and Karyn is King Goau. Jarnuth is Prince Folken; Asantay is Lord Balgus; Sorien is Merle; and well... my brother Viole refused to be Prince Van, because he said 'he's too young to fight.' Not to mention Prince Folken is the one who becomes king, so Viole just plays as enemies like big dragons and stuff. It's really fun! But...I dunno who you can be..."

"Wow...it does sound fun! But, maybe I'll just watch you guys instead of joining in myself..." She was used to that anyway.

Briassa blinked and then stopped short of a carriage. Eiko was forced to as stop as well, being as Briassa still had a tight hold of her hand. They watched on as the coach moved by; the driver tipped his hat to them both and stated 'good-day..' Once it had passed, it left the view of the children at play in full. Eiko felt her heart begin to race at the scene. Excitement poured into her entire body at the realization that she was about to become a part of this reality. It wouldn't be just watching from afar, or dreaming about joining in-this was really going to happen.

"Well...c'mon, Eiko...let's get going!"

Eiko staggered ahead some steps as Briassa dragged her along. Regaining her footing, she matched the brisk pace of her newfound friend, and drew closer and closer to the other children. As they grew near, she could even make out facial features. The darkened spheres flickered over each individual, taking in every single detail possible. She watched as two brown-haired boys tangled themselves up with each other, and rolled across the dirt. Though, the smiles on their faces indicated that this wrestling was only in play. Another boy eyed them, leaning back casually on the steps of some building behind. His hair was a lighter shade of brown, and his eyes were closed as he chewed on the end of a thin blade of grass. The only girl sat by herself, her legs tucked beneath her as she rolled a rock across the ground. Fiery strands fell over her forehead, and she tilted her head toward Briassa and Eiko. The last child was pacing aimlessly, dragging his feet on the ground as he watched the marks in the dirt he made. He, too, glanced up as the girls arrived.

That must be Briassa's brother... Eiko thought to herself. She could see it in his facial features-the similarity between not only Briassa's...but Jonas's as well.

"Who's this, Briassa...?" The redhead stood up, swiping the dust away from her grey skirt.

"Hn? Oh! This is Eiko...she's the blacksmith's daughter..." Briassa nodded quickly, and then pointed out each one so that Eiko would be able to associate names with faces. She started with the girl, "That is Sorien Wyndly..."

"Hi..." Sorien offered a faint smile.

"The two boys over there on the ground are Jarnuth Molin and Karyn Nabyl. Uh...the boy on the steps is Asantay Syan...and the last boy there is..."

"Viole Arem..." He shot a glare toward Briassa, and then smirked. He could take care of his own introduction, and didn't need his sister to do anything for him.

Briassa furrowed a brow, and then stuck her tongue out at him, "Hmph...don't mind him...he's a jerk half the time..."

"Jerk? Ha! Yeah right!" The Arem brother retorted, making his way over to them.

Eiko giggled some, and folded her arms over her chest as she watched the little dispute go on for a bit longer, before both sides gave up. Viole went off with the boys, and Briassa turned back to Eiko with a roll of her eyes. Sorien crept over to them. She apparently preferred spending time with the girls rather than the boys. Though, who would blame her? Eiko certainly wouldn't. The boys were a bit too rough, although they appeared to be having lots of fun. They had all piled onto each other. Random shouts came out about who was the strongest in the group and how they would prove who was better than the next.

"Do...they always fight like that...?" Eiko tilted her head curiously.

"Oh yeah...all the time! You can never separate 'em...especially Jarnuth and Karyn..." Sorien laughed somewhat, and then sent her gaze toward Asantay who was still relaxing. "But Asantay rarely joins in. Don't blame him though...I think it's rather stupid to wrestle around. And I bet everyone else in the entire town thinks it's stupid too!"

"...except them." Briassa remarked with mild amusement.

Eiko smiled at the exchange, and then looked after the boys. The jumble had finally broken, and the trio stood up, panting and dirt-ridden. Jarnuth shook his head, and the dust flew from the shaggy strands. He raised his arm to swipe his forehead free of the sweat that seemed bound to it, only to leave a ridiculous looking streak of dirt across it. Karyn lay on his back, catching his breath as hazel spheres locked on the Mystic Moon which seemed barely visible in the light of day. Viole, however, wasn't fighting for very long so all he really dealt with was messy hair and slightly soiled clothing.

"Hey...who's the new girl?" Jarnuth had just noticed Eiko, and he made his way over to them.

Eiko had suddenly gained a bout of confidence and she spoke up, "I'm Eiko."

"--the blacksmith's daughter," Briassa added to that.

"So what's she doing here? Why hasn't she come out before today?" Karyn sat upright, chiming into the conversation.

"Her parents don't let her out much," Briassa answered quickly, thus proving she was paying attention earlier when Eiko was talking to her.

"But...why...?" Sorien raised her brows in question, directing it toward Eiko herself.

"I...don't know really," Eiko frowned.

Viole threw in a comment, "Well...I think that's dumb. Maybe they'll let you out again sometime..."

Eiko smiled toward him with a nod, "I hope so."

"I'm hot!" Karyn whined, fanning himself with a hand.

Asantay had remained silent through most of this. He propped himself up on his elbows and opened his mouth so the grass he was chewing would just drop to the ground, "Why don't we go to the river?"

All of the other children were more than happy to agree with him, but Eiko wasn't so sure if she should. Daynus hadn't given her any limitations as to where she could go, but she had a feeling there were boundaries. As though she was just set free from a birdcage, there were infinite places she wanted to explore. She wanted to go everywhere and see everything, but her wings were just far too small for such a big adventure.

"Are you coming, Eiko?" The piercing blue stare of Briassa cut into those thoughts.

"I-I'm...not so sure if I can..." Eiko sent a shameful glance behind herself, almost as though answering to an invisible guardian.

"Oh c'mon, Eiko...it'll be fun!" Jarnuth urged, apparently wanting the 'new girl' to join in with them.

"Bend the rules a little. Who cares if you're not allowed...it's not that far and it's not like you're gonna get hurt," Viole shrugged.

Karyn snickered, "Unless...you're too scared to go. And I won't blame ya since you're a girl and all."

That last comment got to the five year old princess. A dark stare narrowed on Karyn and Eiko folded her arms across her chest. Her chin raised with pride as well as a hint of determination. She would show them that girls could be just as good as boys.

"I'm not scared...not one bit! I'll go to the river with you all."

"Great!" Briassa exclaimed.

There was an uproar of chatter between the seven children as they all got into a jumbled group to proceed down the path to that river. Eiko remained silent, however, just allowing the words from her new playmates-as well as the adult's they passed-wash over her. She heard random things about fish, rocks, business, and Prince Folken. Her attention landed on the group of teenage girls who spoke about how handsome Folken was and how much they wanted to meet him. Eiko tilted her head some as she thought about the game Briassa was talking about earlier and then she found those thoughts centered on Van-the youngest Prince of Fanelia. She wondered what he looked like and how he acted; she wondered why no one said anything about Van and always talked about Folken. But, that wonder spent most of it's time on one single thought-was Van as lonely as she was? Did he get to leave the castle much? Did he have friends his age? Maybe...she could be his friend.

The sound of flowing water drowned out those thoughts before they could prosper any farther. Eiko's eyes darted around the scenery in awe. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. The trees stood guard over the water, seemingly protecting it from the dangerous abundance of sun with it's lush, viridian leaves. Grass of a matching hue hugged large rocks and the bank where the river seemed it's deepest. Sparkles of light scintillated over the reflective liquid, dancing their way downstream. Birds sang merrily within branches, not at all ready to give up their time for the nocturnal crickets.

Eiko's attention drifted to the boys who began to strip down. They peeled off their sweat-soaked shirts, and then deposited their boots at the bank-leaving them only in shorts or pants. After that process was completed- Karyn, Asantay, Jarnuth, and Viole ran into the shallow area of the river, splashing each other and pushing one another down into that water. A few crystal droplets from a previous splattering had come up to connect with her cheek, and she scrunched up her nose, brushing the dampness away with a giggle. Briassa plopped on the ground, and pulled off her shoes, following afterward with her socks. She lay them neatly together in a pile, and then she brought her knees to her chest, pressing the blades of grass together in between her toes. Sorien had already followed that step of sandal-removing, and padded along to gather dandelions.

"Ha! I beat you again!" Karyn grinned triumphantly, standing over the currently knocked down Viole.

"No...you were just lucky!" Viole was quick to defend, and he pushed himself up, wading a bit farther into the water.

Jarnuth was ahead of the Arem brother though, and he immediately stopped before the water got too deep over him. Filling his lungs with air, he then ducked beneath the surface. Asantay was near the shore, and he was carelessly poking at a rock with a large stick, trying to move it with that alone. His eyes narrowed in frustration as his attempts failed. Karyn blinked after Viole, and then began to follow him, only to topple over and fall, face-first into the water. Jarnuth popped up behind him and laughed hysterically, swimming away in a rush. Once Karyn regained his balance, he snorted...and took off after the one who had pushed him. Eiko shook her head somewhat at the scene, and then dropped to the ground beside Briassa. She hadn't even known these children for very long, but it sure felt like she had. It was probably because they were all so warm and welcoming when she first arrived. She only hoped that this wouldn't be the last time she got to spend with them all.

"They always act this way. I'd think they'd get bored eventually..." Briassa regarded the boy's play, and then looked over at Eiko with a blink.

"Nah...there's always fun in knocking people over..." Eiko laughed some.

"If you're a boy I guess," Briassa grinned.

Eiko smiled faintly, and then glanced upwards. Branches attempted to block off the view to the sky, but they weren't completely successful. In the distance, she heard the trotting of horse's hooves, but it wasn't close enough that she actually had to worry about who it was. This place was actually quite peaceful, excluding the screaming boys in the lake. Maybe someday she could persuade her father to take her there alone.

"Hey...I got an idea!" Briassa lit up with the sudden notion.

Eiko blinked a couple times, and then sent a glance toward the blonde, "Huh?"

"There's this really neat place by the end of the river...c'mon...I'll show you!" She grasped a hold of her friend's arm, and went to tug her up.

Eiko unwillingly gave in, and found herself dragged before she could respond. She looked back toward Sorien and then the boys, only to return her attention to her front and briefly to Briassa, "What is it...?"

"You'll see! Hurry up, slow poke!"

"O-okay.."

Eiko still remained a bit sluggish as the blonde crept further and further along that bank. The sounds of the chattering boys grew distant, and Eiko began to wonder if their voices would disappear completely if they didn't stop soon. Her legs began to get a bit weary, obviously not used to venturing that far without rest. Still, determination kept her at a steady pace, not once losing sight of Briassa. Finally, both were allowed to stop once they reached their destination.

Where they were wasn't really anything spectacular. The bank overlooking the river was quite steep and a rather rotted-out looking log was lain across, connecting one side to the next. Eiko looked over it, and then behind herself. She hadn't realized the slope of that hill was so long. Her eyes returned to Briassa.

"What's so special about this place?"

"Last year, I think around Red, we all found this big log and we brought it up here. It took all of us to drag it here, over the coarse of a few moons. But then we actually got it across! It's our bridge. You wanna go over to the other side?"

"I don't know...does it really look safe to you?"

"It is! We crossed it all the time...oh c'mon, Eiko...please?"

Eiko winced at those words and then glanced across once more. The area on that side looked quite inviting, but going across on the dead trunk wasn't exactly her ideal way of travel. She studied the bark and then that gaze meandered to the raging waters below. Oh, how far that drop would be! The river was probably very deep beneath, and the thoughts of that possible fall made the raven-haired girl quite a bit nervous.

"M-maybe...we should just go back down and up the other side..." Eiko finally replied.

"But this way is much quicker! Oh don't tell me you're getting scared! Nothing bad is going to happen...trust me!"

A sigh escaped the young girl's lips and she rolled her shoulders back. Eiko wanted them to think highly of her. She didn't want to appear scared or weak, however, she didn't want to do this. Still, Briassa's pleading gaze managed to coax her into it, and Eiko gave a nod of defeat. Briassa grinned and then hugged her pal tightly, only to move back afterward.

"I'll go first," The blonde declared.

Eiko chewed on her lower lip, before she responded, "O-okay..."

The wind kicked up around them, swirling silently around the two bodies and ruffling skirts aimlessly. The barefooted girl walked up to the very edge right before the trunk, and then she glanced back at Eiko with a smile. Golden wisps flew over that forehead, before they settled once that breeze died. Azure's returned their focus to the 'bridge' itself. She lifted one foot to rest on the peeling bark, and grimaced with some discomfort. The other foot landed itself beside it's twin, and she waved her arms to maintain balance. Locks of ebony clouded out Eiko's view for a slight moment, but afterward she watched intently. Dual obsidian prisms widened, reflecting fear for her companion. Her heart pounded in her chest, and she tried to trust those thoughts in her mind. Briassa said that everything was going to be fine, so why was her body reacting like this...? Muscles tightened as she looked after the first couple of steps that were taken. Soon, the other girl was to the middle of the trunk, her arms were outstretched to keep her weight equal. Eiko lingered behind, and slowly trailed up to the start of the makeshift bridge.

I had better follow....

Eiko drew in an inward breath, and prepared to take the first step onto the wood when something caught her eye. Her gaze snapped in the direction of Briassa, but was mainly directed under her. A few rotted-out pieces of bark broke free, and plummeted to the water below. She heard the splash that it made, but an even louder sound caught her attention. The trunk jolted a bit, and creaked some beneath the weight. Her eyes went wide as she watched Briassa teeter a bit. She was scared, and Eiko could feel it, amplified by her own fright for the safety of the blonde. The oversized 'branch' settled however, and both let out breaths of relief. Briassa looked over her shoulder toward Eiko, and smiled-a smile that reflected relief, dying nervousness, as well as a bit of confidence.

"See...I told you...nothing to worry about! Now come on!"

Briassa grinned with self-satisfaction and then turned to continue on her way. It was then, that Eiko heard it. The snap of the poorly maintained bridge. Briassa shrieked as the ground gave way beneath her, and her arms immediately lashed out in an attempt to grasp a hold of anything. Minuscule hands pathetically clawed at a remaining piece of the tree, but it was no use as they were both pulled down into the tempestuous waters below. Eiko screamed the girls name and held her hand out helplessly. Her knees gave out beneath her, and she dropped to the ground, not even a hint of pain ran through her body as her knee scraped itself against a rock. She was numbed with fear, though after a moment of inner-conflict, resolve had won, and Eiko pushed herself up to her feet. She inched back a step, and then another. Sucking in a breath of air, she ran forward and leapt up so that she could dive into that river.

Icey waters swallowed up the black-haired girl's body, and she sank deeper and deeper until feet came in contact with the muddy ground. Her knees bent, and she gave a push so that she could surface again. Clothing weighed her down, and she thrashed her arms about wildly, trying with all her might to reach the light that broke through the top of the water. She felt an overwhelming need for air take over her body, and these attempts became even more desperate. Why did she dive in without any knowledge of how to swim...? It was hopeless to think she could have ever actually saved her friend. But, she wasn't thinking. And now, she was going to die. She was about to die barely having even lived. Despair fell over the girl, and she gave up the will to move on. Her body still possessed it's dire need for oxygen, and her heart pumped rapidly trying anything possible to get it's needed life-force. Eiko felt lightheaded and dizzy, but soon afterward the feelings went away. They drifted away with the waters, and were slowly swallowed up in a sea of murkiness.



"Is she going to be okay?"

"I'm not so sure..."

"What happened?"

"That must have been a pretty nasty fall..."

"Didn't you see? The bridge gave way!"

"Shoulda known it would never last long."

"Shh...you should all move back. You don't want to crowd them..."



What's going on...? Who...is talking...? Who's there...? There was only darkness. Eiko strained to move, but it seemed this vast, atramentous shadow loomed over her, holding her down and pinning her against her will. She went to shout out, only to have those cries disappear into this dank space where no one could hear but herself. But she could hear them! Why could she hear them...and they couldn't hear her? Frustrated with this thick cloud of black, she fought with all her might, and it resulted in a few twitchings here and there.

"Look! She's moving!"

Lids heavily lifted, only to fall immediately. Not only was the effort to reopen them too much, but the light that peered through the trees practically blinded her after so much darkness. Still, it gave her motivation, and she struggled again with consciousness. Onyx lashes slowly revealed the dark sepia spheres, and she blinked as her gaze landed on an unfamiliar face. Deep red eyes were filled with concern, and the silvery strands were strewn about in a careless manner over the teenager's forehead. Eiko didn't have much time to study the face before she suddenly fell victim to a coughing fit. Some clear fluid was lifted from her lungs, and she panted once all the foreign water was released. Her attention went back to the person she saw when she first awakened. Just...who was that...?

"Good...atleast you've come around. It's a good thing I was out of the castle now, otherwise we might not have gotten you out alive..." The older boy remarked calmly, smiling in a warm way toward Eiko herself.

Castle? Her brows pressed together in confusion, and then her gaze swept around in a circular motion. Jarnuth, Karyn, Viole, Asantay, and Sorien all watched her with concern. But, her eyes landed on the elder again, staring at him quite blankly.

"Y-yeah...it's a good thing Prince Folken and Prince Van were out in the forest..." Jarnuth stated plainly, even with a hint of awe in his voice.

"F-Folken...? Prince...Folken...?" Eiko couldn't believe what she was hearing. The heir to the throne had saved her life? But wait...Jarnuth had said Van too. So, where was he? The girl looked around in a frantic search, only to have that gaze settle on a light tan horse. Her eyes lifted to the one on the saddle, and a breath caught in her throat.

There he sat. The youngest prince of Fanelia. He looked back at her behind a mask of unruly, raven strands. Adorning a red shirt, and khaki colored shorts, he hardly appeared to be...anything like royalty. Normally they wore lavish clothes to express their wealth, but Van didn't. He could have easily been mistaken for any regular child. And that intrigued her...the fact that he just appeared so plain. It was almost as if she had expected him to have three heads or something to that effect. Though, Eiko felt her cheeks grow hot, and her gave averted from the young prince.

"We sent the other girl back with Lord Balgus. She was cut pretty bad from the fall, but I think she'll be all right. I can bring you back into town to get examined as well...you were underwater quite sometime..." Folken extended his hand toward Eiko, who immediately accepted the help, and slipped her own into his. A smile creased his lips, and he turned his attention to his brother. "Van...you don't mind sharing that horse with this girl, do you?"

Van shifted awkwardly, and glanced to the side. He really didn't want to be so close to a stranger, let alone some girl, but he couldn't very well say that to Folken. So, he gave a simple nod and brought his attention to the reigns which he clutched tightly. The elder prince lifted Eiko up and set her down on the saddle behind Van himself. The girl flushed. Why was she acting that way? Why was she so embarrassed to be near him? She scooted back some, so as to provide a bit of room between them. Instead of wrapping her arms around his waist, she choose to let digits clutch onto the sides of that 'seat.' Folken walked in front of them, and took some of the slack from Van, giving a gentle tug to the horse in order to guide it into motion. His attention went back toward the awestruck children, and he offered a small wave.

"You're welcome to follow along if you wish..."

Everything else seemed to be a blur to Eiko. Her eyes rested on the boy's back, and all she could think about was him. She just wanted to know him...every single thing she possibly could. Those darkened spheres sparkled with delight. Van...the prince of Fanelia. Her...young mystery. A mystery that she was determined to solve.