Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Actions and Consequences ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The ride into town was unusually bumpy and a tad awkward for a girl who had never ridden a horse before. Eiko hung onto the saddle for dear-life, staring at the ground with wide-eyes. She had, had enough falling to last her for a life time. Damp, stringy locks of jet curled oddly in her vision, and she shook her head swiftly to force them out of the view. Eyes had settled on the array of pure red in front of herself. Van's shirt bunched up strangely at the bottom, where it lay half-tucked/half-free from those tan shorts. He remained so firm and upright, almost statuesque in manner. She wanted to say something, anything to him. Even if it was just one word, and her mouth opened to do just that, only to close as a sudden stinging sensation forced her attention elsewhere.

Eiko's knee had been badly skinned. She hadn't remembered it hurting, or the bleeding...or even what happened to it, but atleast it hadn't been too deeply inflicted. Now, she was left with the after effects of that scrape. It stung, yet tickled at the same time. And no matter how much she wanted to raise her hand to scratch at it, she was glued in place. Fear bound her tightly to that saddle, and she chewed on her lower lip in an attempt to focus those feelings elsewhere. Her eyes watered over with irritation, and her fingers twitched which only made her clamp down harder with her teeth.

"Brother...after this can we go back into the woods and look for those white birds you told me about?" Van looked toward Folken eagerly.

The older brother simply glanced back at him, "We'll see, Van..."

Van wasn't completely satisfied with the answer, and Eiko saw it in the way he squared back his shoulders, then straightened himself out again. Her brows pressed together, and she released the pressure on her lower lip, feeling it begin to ache because of her previous actions. Though, the cut had become much easier to deal with and that was one plus. Her gaze rested on the boy's neck in front of herself, and she searched it for words. Any question she could possibly ask, but then a sudden bout of guilt crept over her. How could she have been thinking about things to ask Van when her friend had been hurt in that fall?

"Was Briassa all right? Did she wake up?" Eiko blurted out those questions quickly.

Van was quite surprised, as he had forgotten that anyone was even behind him due to her silence, but it was Folken who took the liberty of answering, "She had quite a few cuts and wounds...but I'm sure that she'll be okay once someone wraps them up. She didn't wake up, but we sent her into town immediately with Balgus while we tried to revive you.."

"...am I going to see her? Are you taking me the same place...?"

"Yes...you'll get to see her. And I bet she's awake and waiting for you..."

I really hope she's okay... Eiko's eyes lowered to the backside of the horse. She remained quiet as they made their way into the center of the village, past the commoners. Voices caused her to glance up, and she realized that people were watching. They were regarding her and the two princes as they made their way through. Maybe, they had heard about the incident and were concerned, but Eiko really believed it was due to the fact that the two boys of royalty were passing through. Yes, there were the girls that were talking about Prince Folken earlier. They stared on with the same awe that Jarnuth seemed to possess when he was talking about Folken and Van rescuing her. She wondered why that was really. What was so utterly special about Folken, that everyone found a need to regard him with admiration. He was quite kind and a prince, but other than that he appeared simple and even normal. Why, if she didn't have the knowledge of who he was exactly, she would have never guessed.

"Well...here we are."

The older boy came to a complete stop, and examined the building for a moment before he walked to the horse's side. Arms were extended for Eiko, and she sent a longing glance to Van. She wanted to stay with him. Though, she had to accept her fate and leave the two boys be. Her hands lifted from the saddle, and fingers were a bit stiff from holding them there for so long. Folken's help was accepted, and she couldn't help but feel relieved once her feet hit the ground. A small smile was presented to the elder prince, and she turned her attention to Van for a slight moment. He didn't return this look exchange, however. His gaze was distant and thoughtful. It brought a frown into the girl's lips, and she looked back at Folken.

"T-Thank you...f-for everything..." Eiko made her best attempt at a curtsey, only to be a bit wobbly on her feet and having to pop up before she dropped back on her behind.

Folken chuckled at the sight, and rubbed the back of his neck absently with his palm, "It's quite all right. Hurry now, though...you don't want to keep you're friend waiting any longer."

Eiko nodded in agreement, and sent one final look toward Prince Van. Once again, it failed to be shared, and she lowered her eyes, making an embarrassed dash for the door of the Doctor's office. She pushed it open, and disappeared inside, letting a breath of relief escape her. Why was she acting so strange...? A girl like her could hardly fall in love, but perhaps it was possible for a child to have a crush. That was probably all it was; a childish crush. Though, Eiko herself would never be able to come to that assumption.

The room was dark, and the air smelled stale. Fanis had told her stories about going to this small town's clinic when Eiko was younger, because of some illness that had been going around. It affected mainly the children, and even took a couple of lives from the weaker ones. But, Eiko had survived it. Still, with an experience like that lurking in her past, she didn't recall this place. Nothing seemed familiar, but perhaps that was due to the fact that she was far too young to even remember anything.

Clasping her hands together in front of a sooty, tattered skirt, Eiko did her best to look presentable, recalling all the things her mother tried to enforce about manners. She waited patiently, letting her eyes roam over the various medical tools which were enclosed in cases on the few shelves. There were some noises from behind a drawn, blue curtain, and Eiko perked, just listening to them. It must have meant that someone was there. Tiny fingers ran along the wall as she shuffled forward a step. The floor was suprisingly cold against her heel, and it took her a moment or so to realize that was due to the fact that she had lost a shoe.

It must have fallen off in the water. It's probably floating away by now. I wonder if mother or father are gonna be mad that I lost it. ...Oh no! What are they gonna think when they see me?!

Eiko cringed as the angry expressions of her mental image parents glared down at her. But, they disappeared with the scraping of hooks along a metal pole. The curtain opened, and a wiry, grey-haired man stepped out. Pale brown eyes widened somewhat behind thick-framed glasses, as though this man were either surprised or appalled by Eiko's presence. The young girl shifted self-consciously and continued to study him, wondering who was about to break the silence first.

"C-Can I help you, young lady...?"

Apparently he was, and she remained frozen in her place. She wasn't so good with talking to strangers, especially adults, "Y-yes." Urged on by a questioning gaze, Eiko continued. "You see... there was an accident...by the river...and--"

"Oh! Say no more...I know exactly what happened. You're...'Eiko' correct?"

"...y-yeah...but how...?"

"Another young lady arrived here. She had quite a bit of cuts on her, but I wrapped them and she woke up fine. She was asking for you actually...if you want to see her, she's right back there. Unfortunately, I can't check you out unless I have your parents' consent."

A grin settled into the corners of her mouth, and she made a dash for that back room, skidding to a halt as her eyes settled on Briassa. Uneven steps, one-shoed/one-bare foot brought her to the edge of that cot and she paused there. The blonde had bandages tied around her arms, and one was wrapped around her forehead. Little shards of gold poked through the white gauze awkwardly. She may have looked funny, but atleast Briassa was still alive.

"I'm glad you made it!" Eiko exclaimed jubilantly.

"...me too. And I'm glad you made it too. I'm sorry...I should have listened to you about the 'bridge.' I just thought it would be safe because it was last year. It woulda never broke like that in Red!" Briassa frowned, and then averted her gaze. "You could have been killed because of me."

"Don't talk like that. It wasn't your fault... and plus, we got saved by Prince Folken." Eiko added the next words with a blush. "...and Prince Van."

"But none of that matters to me if I didn't get to see them! It sure figures...my one lucky chance to meet either of them, and I have to be knocked out from some stupid fall into the river."

"...but it was a very big fall..." Eiko offered a consolatory smile.

"But still! ...I bet the boys are really getting a laugh out of this aren't they?"

"Not that I saw...they were really concerned. Not to mention a bit dumbstruck by Prince Folken's presence..."

"They really idolize him, yanno..." Briassa giggled some as her mood changed for the better. Though, apparently noticing the blush earlier, she teased Eiko a bit. "And I bet you feel that way about Prince Van, don't you?"

"Huh?! What are you saying??"

"Oooh nothing..."

Eiko scrunched up her nose, and huffed as she looked away. She wasn't so sure how to retaliate to that one, so it might have been best to say nothing about it. Luckily, she wouldn't have to. Their moment drew to a close at the sound of footsteps in the front room. The doctor greeted the arrivals, and then a few masculine voices that Eiko and Briassa both recognized started up.

"Where is she?? Where is my daughter!" Daynus's voice demanded.

"My little Briassa better not be hurt!" Came the sound of an angry Jonas Arem.

"They're both perfectly fine! Don't worry...they're actually up and about which is surprising considering the things I heard about that fall--" The doctor cleared his throat nervously. "Um...anyway, they're right through that curtain back there."

The next thing Eiko knew was that she was pulled into a tight embrace by a pair of massive arms (or atleast they felt massive). She blinked, and looked up to see Daynus's worried face.

"Eiko! You're a mess...oh God...I shouldn't have let you come along with me. Are you all right? You're not hurt are you?" Daynus frowned down at her.

"N-no, I'm fine..." Eiko replied uncertainly.

"Briassa!" Jonas scolded. "What have I told you about playing near that river! I've told you about a hundred times and you still didn't listen! And now look at what happened. Your mother's going to kill me! Viole's all right, though, isn't he?"

The blonde fidgeted through the yelling, keeping her head low and shameful. She nodded only once and whether that was due to her head wound or guilt, couldn't exactly be determined. Eiko offered her friend a slight smile, but the comfort offering did not produce the desired effect. The raven-haired girl pursed her lips, only to have her attention drawn away by Daynus's tugging. She stumbled along to follow, and her father looked toward the other two.

"I must get her home, but I hope Briassa feels better. Good-bye, Jonas..." Daynus urged Eiko out the door, and then followed himself without waiting for a response.

Silence carried them out of the building and onto the streets. Everyone appeared to be back into their regular schedules as opposed to before-when they all paused out of place to watch the royalty pass by. Perhaps they all did that out of respect. Or, maybe Prince Folken and Prince Van expected them to stop what they were doing and look on in awe. Eiko frowned; she didn't think she would ever understand adults.

The girl shifted self-consciously, listening to the different sounds of her footsteps. The shoe thumped steadily and each passing thud with that one was normal-a sound that she had grown accustomed to. Her right foot carried her along with natural ease. The left, however, was much different. Every time the bottom of her heel hit the ground, it made an odd slapping noise. She had to walk lightly with it and avoid putting her entire weight down because the small pebbles in the road started to dig in and hurt. Shoes were a luxury; something a person didn't miss until they had to go without. Or, as in Eiko's case, they were something she needed to have in a pair. The more she concentrated on it, the more annoying it became. She felt almost off-balance and accompanied by the dreaded silence she was receiving from her father, it was beginning to taunt her emotions even more.

Why won't he say something! He always talks to me. So, why won't he now? He must be mad. But, I didn't do anything wrong! I didn't jump off the bank on purpose... ...well maybe I did, but it was for a good reason and all! Oh...come on...say something. Anything! Just...talk to me...

"You're never leaving the house again."

He talked! Wait a second... "W-what?"

"You heard me," Daynus stated with a mix of anger and disappointment. "You showed me today that you'd just wander off anywhere those kids want you to. You could have been killed from that fall. You deliberately disobeyed me and your mother."

But that's not fair! "You didn't tell me I couldn't go to the river--"

"--but I didn't say you could, now did I?" Daynus pointed out.

Eiko sighed, and lowered her gaze to the ground, admitting it, "Well...no..."

"And even if I didn't say that you couldn't touch a sharp object...you'd know not to do it right?"

"Well...yeah...but--"

"--no buts! Let's just get you home and cleaned up. Your mother isn't going to be very happy, you know..."

She lowered her gaze, and refused to answer. He knew better than she did how her 'mother' was going to react to this. All that filled the quiet gap was the steady 'thump,slap,thump,slap' of Eiko's feet. It was far too soon that they had reached the door to their home. She dreaded entering that place. It meant that her time in the outside world was over, and it would be only a distant memory. It meant horrible scrubbing, and scalding hot water. But worst of all, it meant having to face her mother.

Daynus grasped a hold of the brass knob, and tugged open the door, pointing inward as though guiding a disobedient puppy. Eiko filled the role well, hanging her head and trudging in with her invisible tail between her legs. Her father walked in behind her, and let the door close loudly behind himself. He might not have slammed it, but it sure sounded like he had. The young girl jumped, afterward regaining her composure. She refused to make it look like she had done anything wrong. It wasn't fair of them not to let her out of the house and then to punish her for this! Her eyes narrowed in anger, and she glared at the floor almost like she expected it to react. But, it didn't work out. The floor just remained there and Eiko's eyes softened.

"Daynus...you're back al--Eiko! Oh my goodness, Eiko! What happened??" Fanis rushed to her daughter, and dropped to her knees before her.

"Well...I brought her to work...and let her out to play. She went off to the river and fell in.."

"What?!"

"Jonas's little girl fell in as well. She was hurt worse, but..."

"How could this happen??"

"Eiko knows the answer to that one..."

"Why did you go off to the river, Eiko? Why did you do that! You could have been severely injured...or worse! I would have been so upset if something happened to you. Eiko! Answer me! ...Eiko?"

It was as though Eiko were back in that river. The voices around her became muddled, and eventually drowned out completely. She could see their expressions change. First concern, then to anger, then to sorrow, and back in a complete circle again. But, then those faces washed away in the chilling waters around her. She was helpless again...lost to those claws of black that were dragging her away from reality. She...really did want to fight back, but she was just far too tired to deal with the problems that concerned her outside. And rather than her parents...maybe it was safer to be with the shadow demons. Atleast they would only confine her in their dank corridors until she was strong enough to fight back.