Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ White Birds ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"You must have been hurt..."

"W-who...who's there..?"

Eiko sat up slowly amidst the shadow-laced area. It slowly began to take shape and form. Trees grew out of darkness, and the black curtain was tugged back away from the bank and river. Everything slowly grew brighter, and the girl pushed herself up on her palm. Her gaze moved downward, and she brushed her hand over the pristine blue dress of hers. How was it still clean if she had fallen? She raised those fingers, allowing them to dance in the untangled, black silk. Glistening chocolate spheres peered downward, and she moved the two shoes, tapping them together. Brows drew together in confusion, but she was even more confused as to who that voice had belonged to. Did she need to provoke it to speak up again...?

"H-hello?"

"You shouldn't worry so much. You'll give yourself a headache. It's been a stressful day for everyone..."

Her mouth went agape as she watched the young boy step out from behind a tree. Red. The wonderful sight of red filled her vision. This red poured out over tan, and those colors hugged nicely bronzed skin. Jagged coal spikes were tousled over bay-hued eyes, and with a simple motion of his head to the side, those shards went directly over the left side-where they belonged. Eiko blinked, and then scooted back slightly.

"P-Prince Van...!" She wasn't so sure how to react after that, so, she left it up to him.

"What's the matter...? You knew I was here...why are you acting so surprised...? You invited me after all..." The boy lowered himself to the ground, and plopped on his behind. His gaze lifted to her slowly, and he tipped his head. "You should be resting. Not sitting up like that. My brother always told me that no matter how good you think you might feel...you're body probably doesn't think the same. And he learned that from Balgus."

"...why? Why are you acting like that? You didn't before...you didn't seem to care much..."

"Before? The fall was just now...and everyone else left. I think they had somewhere else to be. Not me though...I'm supposed to be here. I'm looking for white birds..."

"The ones your brother was talking about...?"

"Yep...those are the birds. So...I think I'll just wait here with you until they come..."

"Come? You're expecting them?"

"Uh huh..." Van seemed occupied for the moment with an insect that wandered over his fingers. His eyes lifted slowly, and then he pointed upward. "Look...here they come."

The young girl couldn't help but follow his gaze. She was interested in seeing these white birds that he had wanted to see so much. The branches of those trees separated to allow her a better view of the sky. And then she saw them all right. But...they weren't exactly birds. An array of beautifully woven white wings were a source of travel for a few ... humans. They glided delicately across the sky, and a few stray feathers fluttered gracefully downward over the two children. Eiko was in complete awe. She had never seen such a thing in her entire life. People...with wings. Beautiful wings!

But all of a sudden, the darkness swallowed up the scene. Everything was pitch-black, except for the steady drift of feathers that swooped down and melted into oblivion as soon as they hit the ground-or what was presumed to be ground. Eiko glanced around frantically for Van, not even feeling the feathers that tickled their frayed edges along her bare arms. He was no where in sight.

"I have to leave now. I have to join them..."

"Huh? Van...? Prince Van? Wait! Don't leave me--"



A pristine feather dropped into her vision, and the shadow broke.



Eiko hadn't remembered getting in bed, nor had she remembered cleaning or getting in her night gown, but apparently it had happened. Sunlight drifted welcomingly into the small room, but it wasn't welcome. Not to someone who had been so used to darkness for that long. She would have pulled the lavender quilt over her head to shield it out, but the effort really seemed too much at that point. Her entire body was stiff and aching, and she began to wonder if she would even be able to move. Did she really want to...? What was there to look forward to anyway? Yelling...anger...disappointment. She knew that was the only thing she would see in her mother's and father's eyes.

The dark lashes beat down over those eyes, not only shielding out the sun's presence, but attempting to hold the liquid droplets in. She didn't want to cry. She knew it was a stupid and selfish reason to cry, but sometimes emotions had a mind of their own. Eiko turned her head, so that she could bury her face in the pillow and let her frustration as well as sadness leak out onto the cloth covering. Warm, moist lines crept down those cheeks as she thought of those children she had met the other day. Briassa, Sorien, Jarnuth, Asantay, Viole, and Karyn. The children who would probably be playing and spending their day as though they had never met her. And then there was Van. Not as though, she had actually expected to see him again that day, but for some odd reason after that long rest period she felt somewhat connected to him. Of course, she did not remember the dream that had surfaced, and she probably wouldn't unless some sort of action provoked it.

After a while of blubbering, Eiko grew disgusted with herself and sat upright quickly-well as quick as she could. She sniffled several times, and raised her palm to sweep away the secretions that escaped that red nose. Her lips pursed, and she glanced toward that hand with a sickened look, realizing what she had just wiped on it. She sighed, and then brought it over the folds of her nightgown, deciding that she really didn't care about being a 'proper young lady' at that moment. Once the hand was 'cleaned', Eiko worked on climbing out of that bed. She didn't want to leave her room. If she was imprisoned to the house, then she might as well have a 'proper cell.' Atleast there, she could have her privacy and not have to look at those faces-the ones that were so angry with her the day before.

Tiny feet hit the floor, and the toes of her left foot wriggled with discomfort. It was definitely feeling the pains from the previous day of walking. That reminded her, and she desperately clawed up the night gown so that she had a good view of those knees. The dirt had been cleaned from the scrape, but all around the kneecap there was a discoloration of bluish purple. She reached a single digit forward to press against the upraised lump, and then grimaced. That was her reminder of the day before. A souvenir she had brought back from the river. What happened to just collecting shells?

Eiko released the hem of those clothes, and turned her attention toward that window. Curious as ever to know whether or not the children were at play, she moved to the transparency with swift and fluid movements. Her hand clenched around the curtain, and then threw it aside. Immediately those eyes needed to adjust to the brilliance of the natural rays, and she held up her hand to shield out the light only until it became normal for her. Desperate to find them, she didn't let anything escape her sight. She noticed Jonas Arem lugging a sack containing some heavy items around, but Briassa wasn't near him. It would be understandable if Briassa didn't go outside at all. She needed her rest after all, and Eiko only wanted her to get better.

Ah ha! That gaze landed on the group of only five, and just as Eiko suspected-Briassa was missing from them. They didn't possess the normal excitement in their play; in fact, they were barely playing at all. Sure, she saw Jarnuth and Karyn give each other slight pushes from time to time when they must have gotten bored, but for the majority of the time she was watching-they all looked so serious, and maybe even a touch worried. She frowned, and then brought her hand along the glass. Fingers hit the window's locks, and she blinked, pondering for a moment whether or not she possessed the nerve to sneak out. Quivering hands just dropped against her sides, and she shook her head quickly. She couldn't do it. To be caught again and disappoint them. She just couldn't.

Eiko slid away from the window, and plopped on the ground with a long sigh. Oh, what to do...how was she going to thrill herself now? She had a taste of the outdoors, and that taste was going to live with her forever. She could have dealt without it yesterday, or any day before then, but not now. Not now that she knew what was out there. What she could explore. How much fun she could have! Eiko felt the tears rise up again, but she refused to give in. Crying made her face feel all swollen and puffy. It was an unpleasant feeling that she wished would just go away. Or, if she had something to take her mind off of such things, it might have been better.

After a few moments, there was a soft knock on the closed door, accompanied by a voice, "Eiko, hon' are you awake? I made you breakfast...all your favorites."

She recognized the voice immediately as her mother's and she wasn't so sure what she should do. She could pretend she was still in bed and then Fanis would just leave her be, assuming she was ill. Though, at the mention of 'favorites,' Eiko could begin to feel her hunger building up. The thoughts began to stir of fresh-made, white bread -still warm from the oven- smothered in raspberry jam along with a bowl of hot oatmeal covered by cut strawberries, not to mention a cold glass of cow's milk to wash it all down at the end. Her mouth began to water and she couldn't refuse the offering, even if it was meant to be set up as bait-to lure her into the predators' arms.

Eiko stepped lightly to the door, pulled by the scent of all those lovely foods. She turned the knob slowly and much to her surprise, Fanis was still standing there. The girl made eye-contact, but then felt the color drain from her cheeks. Was she really ready to face them yet? Well...it was far too late for doubts as the damage of breakfast temptation had already been done. The mother appeared as though she was about to say something, but her mouth just closed, and she extended a warm 'good-morning' type of smile. ...The effort went unreturned.



Eiko had never eaten more in her life and she was happily stuffed with those yummy treats. It was probably due to the previous day's hunger needing to be satiated along with the morning's. She reached over, and used the napkin to swipe away the remnants of a 'milk mustache' from her upper lip. Neither Daynus or Fanis had made an effort to engage in a conversation, and Eiko felt a little relieved by that. True, she wanted to talk to them, but after yesterday, she wasn't so sure she could. Her parents had never gotten angry with her a day in their life. They may have been a bit frustrated if Eiko spilled something all over a new dress, or if she got out her dolls and forgot to put them back after she was done playing with them, but they had never been really mad like they were the day before.

She swung her feet over the side of the chair and sent a glance in the direction of Daynus, and then toward Fanis. They were both busy with their morning routines, and Eiko dropped her gaze to the table. Her hands rested on the surface, and she pushed herself back slightly. The chair's legs made a horrid screech along the floor. An embarrassed Eiko gave her parents a sheepish smile as they both extended startled glances her way. She prepared to retreat into the solitary confinement of her room, but Daynus's words put this idea on hold.

"Eiko...wait a second."

She paused, and glanced up at him.

"Eiko...your mother and I talked a lot last night..." He stopped to check and see whether or not he had caught her interest. Sure enough, he had. "Although, I am still a bit disappointed in you for wandering off like that...we decided that it wouldn't be fair to keep you inside. You deserve to be able to play with those children and so long as you don't wander off again without telling us, then we're willing to let you..."

"R-really?"

Daynus smiled at the response, and then nodded softly. Eiko beamed, disregarding any ill-feelings she held towards them previously, and then rushed forward, throwing her arms around him. The happiness didn't end there, and her eyes lifted to Fanis. A grin was offered to the blonde as well, and then she just sank back into that hug.

"Thank you! Thank you so very much!"



It didn't take too long after that for the girl to get clothed. She wanted to get into that sunlight as soon as possible-rather than hide from it like she did before. Eiko wasn't wearing anything too nice, only a simple greyish dress consorted by the usual undergarments. The black shoes that she slipped on were an old pair, and she remembered why she had stopped wearing them as soon as she took the first couple of steps. They were a bit too small, and they pinched her toes together uncomfortably. But, she would be able to live with that discomfort...so long as she had it outside, with her friends.

Quick good-bye kisses were given to the couple, and Eiko dashed out the door, no doubt taking her parents by surprise. She didn't mean to dismiss them so quickly, but it just felt so good to be in the natural environment. The smell of the air, and the warmth of the sun-it all embraced her body lovingly. With an excited giggle, Eiko confidently hopped down those steps, leaping off the last one-mimicking the action of Briassa's the previous day. She hit the ground with a thud, and stumbled a bit to regain her balance. Though, it wasn't as though the girl would have cared if she connected with the dirt. She was out in the world! And nothing was going to hold her back from having fun.

Pushing herself off on her heel, Eiko made a quick sprint for the area of chosen play. She weaved around adults, and skidded between conversations. People may have shouted about her disrespect, but she wasn't about to apologize. If they had known just how she felt earlier, they wouldn't have cared. She hopped over various dropped items that were in her way, and eventually fatigue forced her to stop. She bent forward, placing her hands on her knees. Panting breaths were made in order to catch the breath that left her, and she straightened herself up with a grin. Her destination was in sight, and she could just feel the rush of overwhelming joy spread throughout her veins.

Eiko's hand raised to sweep away a few raven strands from her view. Some sweat had broken out along her forehead, and she scrunched up her nose as she felt the moisture on those fingertips. But atleast the swollen eyes and stuffy nose had faded away. She decided not to run any longer, instead, just walk casually to the others as though she was a regular. From her distance, she could tell who was who and what they were doing, which really wasn't anything too spectacular. Sorien assembled a few dandelions that she must have gathered from the grass beside a building. She began to weave them together, but her hard work was in vain as Karyn marched over and stomped on those 'flowers.' He had no reason to do it really, other than to be annoying and make her upset. His goal had been achieved as the redhead seemed to yell at him, and then storm off to gather more. Asantay stepped up behind the boy, and swatted the back of his head, only to follow after Sorien. Karyn rubbed the area, glaring after the two, but then he turned and leapt at Jarnuth, taking him to the ground. The victim's arms were thrown up helplessly at first, but then he went into the typical wrestling routine. Viole watched them with a roll of his eyes, but then his attention lifted to the arrival of Eiko.

"Hey...look! It's you! So you were good enough to come out of bed I take it..." Viole lifted his attention skyward, and shook his head slightly. "Briassa's pretty bad off. She stayed in bed the lot of the morning, but I think she's planning on coming out sometime today."

Viole's comments caused everyone to stop what they were doing, and then clamber over to the young girl. Eiko noticed this, and then smiled some, "Well...I hope she gets better. She seemed fine yesterday."

"Yeah...well that's because Briassa's strong..." Karyn threw in a compliment, which got really strange looks from the other children. He cleared his throat, and quickly added. "For a girl and all..."

Jarnuth shook his head slightly, and quickly brushed some dust from himself with a groan, "I had to wear these clothes to church later...and look at what you did, Karyn!"

"Oh well...if you weren't so weak, I wouldn't have knocked you down..." The boy remarked snidely

"You caught me by surprise!" Jarnuth accused.

This received a shrug from Karyn, "Still...you were weak.."

"Ugh! Shut up, Karyn!" Jarnuth snorted, and stalked away from him.

Viole blinked, finding that he was in between the feuding friends, and he stepped up slightly, "Eh heh...well...maybe we should play that game. We don't need Briassa...'Varie' isn't really doing anything important. And I had this really great idea about being an evil king from another country...and attacking Fanelia."

Viole's notion received affirmative nods and statements. Everyone shuffled away to take their respectful places, as apparently they all remembered from an earlier time. Sorien skipped over to the center, and then paused as she looked toward Eiko, "But...who can she be?"

"She can be Varie..." Jarnuth pointed out.

Karyn was quick to respond, "Nuh uh! No WAY! Only Briassa can be Varie..."

"But then..." Jarnuth blinked, only to find himself interrupted.

"That's all right, Jarnuth. I know exactly who I can be..." Eiko grinned.

"Who?" All the children questioned simultaneously.

Eiko smiled proudly, and straightened herself up so that she could declare the name of the person she wanted to portray, "Why...Prince Van!"