Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Presageful Clouds ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Heh, thanks for your reviews! Sorry it took me a while to get a chapter up...x.o I've just been pretty much having writer's block...and this chapter is pretty dull, not to mention...short. My advice is to wait to read this one AND Chapter 14 together, as I already planned out basically what I'm going to do in 14...and let me tell you it should be interesting if I can pull it off. Well...anyway... ^__^ thanks for continuing to read...I'll try and get these chapter's up quicker... :D


Pages fell off the Fanelian calendar, and quite a few moons passed since Eiko came to her conclusion about those feelings for Van. It felt strange to believe, but it was the truth. Eiko had fallen in love with Van and that was the end of it. She may not have known him very well (or at all), but that didn't stop those feelings from blossoming over her idea of the young prince. She kept that affection locked away within herself, as it was the only real person she could trust it with. Of course, she trusted Viole. He never did tell anyone about what happened between Jarnuth and her a long while ago. Though, there was no way that Eiko would believe in a pinky swear to bind such a large secret.

That day in particular, it was muggy and unpleasantly warm. This was the type of heat that felt like a weight. It dropped onto a person's shoulders, and seemed to accompany them throughout their entire day without any reprieve. Crimson gold pounded down on the town's folk, and anyone who was unlucky enough to be outside in the sweltering atmosphere tried with all their might to break free from it. The home's were only varied by some degrees, but to anyone outdoors...that slight difference in temperature would be heaven to them.

Eiko wasn't about to leave her home in such weather, though atleast she would not be alone. The boy's had all grouped together at Jarnuth's place, and the girls had agreed to come to hers. She sat at one end of a blanket that was opened in her room, and Sorien sat opposite of her. Briassa was in between the both of them, and in front of her was the guest of honor to that little tea party-a stuffed bear better known as 'Mr. Fuzzy'. A pitcher of water was given to them by Fanis, and Eiko had dug out her small tea set, filling the miniature kettle with some of that liquid. That was then distributed evenly to each of the guests, even though...one of them really had no way of ingesting such fluids. Sorien went for the cup immediately, as thirsty as she was from the heat.

"I wonder what the boys are doing..." Briassa commented thoughtfully.

Sorien finished her drink, and looked to the blonde with a grin, "I bet they're beating each other up by now. Even though, Karyn has left Jarnuth alone lately...he probably waited until the right opportunity to get 'im!"

"Which means poor Asantay and Viole are stuck trying to break it up..." Eiko mused.

"I really wish we could have played today though. The game is getting so good with everything! I have no idea how Merle's gonna get back to the castle," Sorien remarked wistfully.

"...I don't like Merle," Eiko looked away bitterly.

"Huh?" Sorien blinked, and furrowed her brows taking offense to the statement.

"No...no...I don't mean your character Merle...I like her. I...just don't like the real one."

Briassa finally touched her cup, and brought in a little of the water past her lips, "Why's that?"

"I don't know really...she just...seems annoying," Eiko slouched, not bothering to say the real reason behind it. She just wished that Merle would leave Van alone for once in her life...just so that she could get up the nerve to have a little bit of conversation with the Prince.

"I bet she is. And Sorien's playing her...so the part's perfect," Briassa winked.

The redhead scoffed, "So I'm annoying?"

"Yep...pretty much," Eiko giggled teasingly.

Sorien frowned some, and Briassa noted this, growing serious with her comment, "We were just kidding, you know."

"...yes...I know."

"Guess just being around Karyn that much has rubbed off on me," The blonde nodded in agreement with herself, and then reached over to lift the string-haired doll she had brought along with her to the Omoi home.

"Probably...he's rubbed off on everyone," Eiko shook her head.

Sorien followed Briassa's lead, and lifted her own doll, bringing her hand up to fix some of the knotted hair which was composed of corn silk. Those dark spheres raised to Eiko and Briassa, and she pursed her lips before speaking, "Do...you think it'll always be like this? That it will always be just us kids together...even when we're old?"

Briassa quirked a brow, but then nodded confidently, "I'm sure it will...we'll probably get all old and wrinkly together...and live in Fanelia for the rest of our lives!"

Eiko smiled, about to add a positive comment to that, until a sudden chillsome feeling waved over her entire body. It struck her so fiercely that small, upraised bumps broke into view over her bare arms. A shaky hand raised to her forehead, and her brows slid together. Briassa and Sorien watched the raven-haired girl with concern, before the blonde just took it upon herself to inch closer, and lay a hand of comfort over Eiko's shoulder.

"Are you all right?" Briassa asked.

I-I'm not so sure... "Yeah...I'm fine."

Sorien blinked, and stayed her distance, "...are you sure?"

Eiko nodded quickly, and then sank back against the bed post. Her palms skirted their way up and down those forearms, trying to coax the tiny goose bumps back inside her body, "Yes...I'm fine. I'm really fine. ...and...I think that...we will be friends until the very end..."

* * *

After several weeks in the scorching heat, things did eventually cool down. The air wasn't quite as heavy with humidity, and even provided a gentle breeze every now and then. Many more civilians occupied the streets, and Fanis had even gone back to maintaining her garden which had suffered severely due to the weather before. Many flowers were withered and dying from lack of water, and even though the effort to revive them was pretty much futile, Eiko's mother still gave them their proper moisture. The children had all agreed to meet before the items shop, and Eiko had every intention of going down there, she just felt like spending time with Daynus since she had neglected to do so lately. After a bit of prodding, she had persuaded her father to take her to work with him for a little while, and so that was where they headed. Eiko had seated herself comfortably on a stool, and she swung her feet over the side as she watched the dark-haired man organize his tools.

"What're you doing?" Eiko asked curiously.

Daynus paused, and then glanced toward his daughter with a brief smile, "Just getting things ready."

"Can I help?"

A chuckle emitted from the older man's lips, "I don't think so, Eiko."

"How come?"

"...well...these tools are too heavy and dangerous for you to lift..."

The girl tilted her head, "So...how come you do it?"

"Well...I..." Daynus blinked, and then scratched the side of his head with a laugh. "You know...why don't you go out and play with your friends...? I'm sure they're all waiting for you...and I bet it's far more interesting than being stuck in here, watching me...sort through...pieces of metal."

"Probably...but I'd rather stay in here with you now..."

"Why's that?" The man looked toward her slowly.

Eiko paused, and chose her words carefully, "Well...just because you're...my...father. And I don't really talk to you much anymore. Your at work...and I'm out playing...we've both got busy schedules, you know..."

Daynus chuckled, "Yeah...we're both busy all right. My work is no comparison to you and the grueling hours you've put into...having fun."

A smile broke into the girl's lips, "Well...yeah!"

"You really are one of a kind, Eiko..." He grinned, and then returned his attention to the pile. "I'm glad to have you as a daughter...there is no one in the world I would have chosen over you. You really do make your mother and me proud..."

Eiko flushed, and looked up at him allowing that smile to return. Those words, must have been what the young girl sought to hear, and afterward, she pushed off that stool. Delivering a hug to Daynus, the young princess whispered, "I love you, father. You and mother both."

"We love you too, Eiko..." The blacksmith returned the embrace, holding her close with a sigh. "So much, Eiko...so very much...and whatever you do...just don't leave us prematurely...I would never be able to take that..."

She blinked...what did he mean by that? The child responded uncertainly, "I...won't...father..."

Daynus nodded, closing his eyes until he let her out of his arms, "Now...you run along...and have fun. You've probably got a great day ahead of you...and I don't want you to miss out on your busy schedule after all..."

Eiko received a wink from her father, and she giggled. Nodding to his words, she offered a quick wave and raced for the doorway. The sky was growing darker by the moment, as the rain clouds were slowly settling in...but Eiko paid absolutely no mind to such things. Today was going to be a good day...one in which she would never forget for the rest of her life...