Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Events Washed Away ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The rain had not yet begun to plummet to the ground, but the thick clouds threatened to spill the droplets at any given moment. Wary people were ducking under shelter just to be on the safe side, but there was nothing wrong with a little moisture. It felt refreshing half the time, especially within the season's heat. There was also something almost magical about the rain. It possessed the ability to calm people down with it's tranquil pitter-patter and seemed to wash all troubles away into a calming sea. True, sometimes it ruined plans and brought about misfortune, but for every drop of rain there was always a rainbow waiting to be sought.

Eiko hopped from cobblestone to cobblestone, trying with all her might to avoid the darker colored ones. This little exercise forced her to be swift and agile, which were two things that were quite useful in 'sword fighting.' Perhaps that day, she would even be able to best the practiced Viole in their game. Oh, she couldn't wait to arrive there. Daynus's last few words left her puzzled, and she just needed a reprieve from such confusing thoughts, or she simply needed the rain to carry them away.

Soon enough, those children were in sight. Various shrieks and giggles sounded from the group as everyone tried to avoid Asantay. They scrambled every which way until the poor boy who had been deemed 'It' had pressed his palm quickly to Karyn's back. Syan leapt away to avoid getting tagged again by Nabyl. And so, the same actions continued, only with them trying to get away from Karyn. One by one, however, they slowed their run to a simple jog and eventually came to a complete stop once Eiko's arrival was noticed.

"H...hey...Eiko," Viole panted out.

"Hi..." Eiko smiled some, and then stepped closer. "What were you doing just now?"

Asantay braced himself by placing his palms on his knees, "Playing tag..."

"Have you ever played?" Sorien questioned.

"...you should know the answer to that, Sorien," Eiko leaned back on one foot.

"Yep...and since we haven't played it with her, that means Eiko hasn't played," Briassa nodded.

Jarnuth looked between them, "Well...we can teach you..."

"No way...nuh uh," Karyn shook his head. "I am not running around anymore..."

"Cooling down would be a good idea," Asantay stated, flopping back on the ground.

Eiko followed Asantay's lead, and settled to a seated position even though she hadn't been tired out from play. Briassa and Viole sank down beside her, and the rest of the children found their own random spots to sit. One single splotch of moisture splattered its way onto the dirt. The water snaked in a couple of directions until the dampness could spread no farther, and it just began to be absorbed into the otherwise dry soil. Eiko watched it, keeping her eyes intent on the flickering patterns that waved over the surface of the small droplet. Suddenly, a loud thud sounded in the distance, causing all to jump and glance in that direction.

Three mammoth-sized mechanical giants emerged in the distance. Massive footsteps were brought carefully through the square and many people gathered around at the sight. Several excited waves were offered to the pilots as though they were floats from a parade. But, they could have been just as splendorous with their intricate designs and different colors. Large arms returned the greetings to the civilians, and the guards at the castle gate slowly pushed it open in invitation for the three. Green, red, and goldish-brown offered their final good-bye waves, and then they disappeared into the royal area. Though, the footfalls were not about to fade so easily. Each crashing step was heard by the spectators, and once they did stop an uproar of comments rose up from the crowd.

"W-what...were...those...?" Eiko stared on wide-eyed.

"They're guymelefs..." Jarnuth chimed in.

"They use those in battles. Most soldiers are taught not only sword combat...but how to pilot a guymelef. I'm gonna learn how to use one someday," Viole smiled proudly.

"Yeah...sure, Viole..." Briassa stated sarcastically.

Viole snuffed, "Just wait and see, Briassa..."

"So...who were they...?" Eiko asked, disregarding the argument that might have broke out had she not interrupted.

"Those..." Asantay answered quickly. "...were three of the four Samurai Brigadier Generals of Fanelia...Luva, Asona, and Yurizen. My parents say that the last one of the four, Balgus, is away on some quest...but he'll be back sometime soon."

"Where did they go, though...? I mean, if their coming back...where had they gone?" Eiko glanced toward Asantay.

"Oh...well...I don't know. I'm sure my parents would," The boy nodded.

"Eh...I don't care about that. I just think it'd be awesome to see the Escaflowne up close," Karyn lay back, and looked up at the sky.

"The...Escaflowne?" Eiko looked over at Karyn as he said that.

Sorien quirked a brow, "You haven't heard of that? Geeze...Eiko...and you call yourself a Fanelian?"

"Sorien..." Jarnuth sent her a scolding glance.

"No...it's all right, Jarnuth. My parents just never really told me any stories about..." Eiko paused as she tried to put the correct syllables together. "Guy...mel...efs...or the Escaflon--"

"Escaflowne," Karyn corrected.

Asantay once again demonstrated his knowledge and replied, "Well...the Escaflowne is a guymelef that has been in Fanelia ever since the beginning of time. Legend has it that the Ispano had designed it...and then gave it to the King of all Fanelia as a gift for good leadership or something along those lines. Each time a new king comes about...they bind themselves to the Escaflowne by blood-pact. I'm...not sure what any of that means...but it's what my parents told me..."

"I heard that the last battle King Goau fought with in the Escaflowne was with this old country Omora or something. Needless to say...Fanelia won...and it was all thanks to King Goau..." Karyn nodded confidently.

"Omora..." Eiko repeated, and then her brows knit together. Why did that place sound almost familiar to her...?

"Yep...it's Fanelia's neighboring country. Though...the last I heard was that it was destroyed by dragons...and hasn't been completely restored..." Viole responded as though Eiko had asked a question.

"Yanno...I have an idea..." Karyn lit up with that devilish smirk of his.

"What's that?" Briassa canted her head.

"Well...I think that it would be so amazing to actually see the Escaflowne in person. One of us could sneak in the castle...and get as much detail as possible about the 'melef...like...what it feels like...and what it's like on the inside. And...I think I know the perfect person to do it," Karyn eyed Eiko.

Jarnuth followed that gaze, and then shook his head quickly, "No way! It's far too dangerous for Eiko to go alone...!"

Almost amused by this, Nabyl responded, "Well...then...why don't you go along with her...?"

"M-me...?"

"That's crazy, Karyn!" Briassa shook her head. "Eiko has been in the palace once...why don't you go and do it if you want to get the details so much?"

"Hey...I was only suggesting Eiko...it doesn't necessarily have to be her. But, why don't we leave it up to the girl herself...what d'ya say, Eiko?"

"I...well..." The raven-haired girl fought with inner conflict for a moment, but as usual her pride had won. "Sure...I have no problem with going."

"Then I'm coming along to!" Jarnuth stated quickly.

Viole simply glanced up at the boy with a thoughtful tilt of his head, "Not really like you to volunteer yourself for such a dangerous thing, Jarn. Everything all right?"

"Uh...what's that supposed to mean? I'm just going...so...I can um...see the Escaflowne too. It really interests me, ya know..." Jarnuth nodded in a nervous response, and then quickly moved to Eiko's side.

"Sure it does," Viole replied with mocking ambiguity.

Briassa sighed, and stated sincerely, "Be careful you two...very careful. I don't want anything to happen to either of you."

"Don't worry, Briassa...I've done this once before...I'm sure I'll be able to do it again," Eiko assured.

"Plus...Jarny'll make sure she stays safe," Sorien nodded. "Ain't that right, Jarny...?"

"Well...um...yeah. I'll protect her," He nodded uncertainly.

Eiko stepped toward the boy, and grabbed his arm, "Well...we had better get going..."

"Good luck..." Asantay offered.

That only received a smile from the two as they had turned away from the group. Eiko practically had to drag Jarnuth away, and they reached the normal, bustling crowd, disappearing inside of it. The brown-haired boy seemed utterly relieved to be away from the faces of their group, though he was a bit tense to be around Eiko. He hadn't been alone with her since...since...well that day. The one that the two had vowed to forget had ever happened, but Jarnuth couldn't forget so easily. Every time it rained...every time he was alone with her...he would dwell on those memories, and even smile about them. A first kiss was something that could never be forgotten.

The girl strode up to the gate, and then looked around herself warily. People still loomed around the area, and getting in the same way she had last time would be far too conspicuous. She frowned, and then turned back to face Jarnuth. Making a quick motion of her head to the left, both scrambled in the direction and took comfort in a hiding place behind a rather large tree. Eiko glanced around the side, watching some people scatter from the crowd, though there were still quite a bit left. A sigh escaped her lips, and she turned back to Jarnuth.

"Do you have any ideas...?"

He arched a brow, and glanced to the wall surrounding that castle, "You did this before...why are you asking me?"

"Because the way I used is completely blocked off...there's no way I could sneak in without being noticed."

"We could sneak in...there's a 'we' here...not just you."

"That's what I meant...and that's also why I asked you about getting in..."

The Molin boy glanced away from her, and then began to inspect the gate again. He tapped his chin thoughtfully, and a few 'hm's' and 'hn's' slipped past those lips occasionally. Eiko regarded him with interest, and then followed his gaze to see what he was studying. She didn't really see anything helpful, but her attention lifted toward him again. Jarnuth, for once, was oblivious to her look, and he took a couple steps forward. His hand was pressed against the fence in several places, and he tapped his knuckle against it mindlessly. Eiko raised a brow, unable to take being in the dark any longer. She just trudged forward.

"What?"

Jarnuth stopped, and glanced back toward her, "Well...this wall's completely solid. I don't think there's anyway we could get through it. So...the only real way would be to climb...over it."

Eiko considered this, and then looked upwards to check out the height. Her eyes dropped, and then moved toward the side, landing on that tree. A grin perked into those lips, and she exchanged a glance with Jarnuth, "I know...!"

"Oh...? Well...do share...I am kinda interested as to how we're gonna risk our lives," He stated sarcastically.

"You're gonna lift me up onto the wall...and then...if you climb up onto that branch there...I can help you off...and we can probably jump onto the other side with no problem..."

"You're crazy..."

"And we're doing it. C'mon...help me up!"

Jarnuth sighed defeatedly, and then made his way to her. He dropped to his knees, and Eiko moved behind him. She brought one leg around and onto his shoulder, and followed suit with the next. The boy struggled to stand, but managed to do so with the encumbering weight. Eiko could clearly see over the gate, and noticing that it was clear, she brought her fingertips up to snatch the very top of the wall. Grasping onto it tightly, she slowly stood on Jarnuth's shoulders, and heard a painful groan escape from the lad. Having the knowledge that her weight was too much for the youth, she tried to hurry up with her climb. She brought her knee up, and then let it hang over the other side, just so that she straddled the top.

"All right, Jarn...now you climb up that tree..." Eiko hissed out, and then pushed herself up to stand.

Jarnuth nodded to her, and then moved toward the trunk. He was a bit slower than Eiko hoped in his ascent, but so long as no guards were wandering around, it didn't matter. She watched the boy make his way around the spider web of branches, and he finally wound up on the desired limb. Cautiously, Jarnuth walked along it, and then he bent down. Arms caught hold of the branch's end, and he swung his feet to the gate's top. Hooking his heels behind it, he brought one hand forward to accept Eiko's help. She grasped onto it with both of hers, and tugged him safely to a sitting position. The only mutual conversation shared between the two was a breath of relief.

The boy pushed himself up to his feet, and then glanced over at the side with a slightly dizzy teeter. Eiko quickly grasped a hold of him in order to prevent an untimely fall. Jarnuth looked back at her, and blushed some, offering her a faint smile of gratitude. The girl returned it, and then she let go, crouching down. He glanced over at her unsurely, and then followed the same actions, playing along with this game of 'follow the leader' quite well. Raven locks poured over frail shoulders, as the young princess pointed in the direction of a grassy patch. Landing there would be much better than jumping down on the bushes below. Jarnuth followed this with his eyes and with a gulp, he nodded toward her in agreement. Eiko flashed him a reassuring smile as she lowered herself a little more. She just swiftly pushed up and felt the wind carry her slender form a short ways, before she began her descent to the ground. She tucked her feet beneath herself, and almost landed on them, though the jump was a bit too much and sent her back on her behind. Still, she had made it, and that was the important thing.

Now, it was all up to Jarnuth. Eiko pushed herself up to her feet, and twisted around to look at the boy. He returned that gaze, and then drew in a quick breath, mumbling a prayer to the Flying Dragons. After that, he knelt down the way Eiko had, and pushed up into the air. His arms flailed around frantically, and when Jarnuth dropped...he didn't even land on his feet for a slight moment; he fell directly to his side with a slight twitch. The young girl frowned, and then dropped beside him, giving a nudge to his body. He was a tad scratched up from the landing, but otherwise all right. The boy lifted himself up, and brushed some dirt from his clothing only to find himself tugged around another tree. He realized why Eiko had done that when the voices of a couple guards carried through the area, and he nervously looked toward her. She was absolutely silent, just listening in for the moment they would disappear. After a while of waiting, they did move in the opposite direction, and the girl raised her attention toward Jarnuth.

"Now...do you know where they keep the Escaflowne...?" Eiko whispered.

Jarnuth looked toward her, and then let his gaze sweep the surroundings. Luckily, he didn't have to come up with a place off the top of his head. He noticed the majestic flutter of the blue and red cloak to the right side of the castle. His hand went forward and gripped Eiko's arm as he silently pointed that way. She let her eyes follow the fluid movements of the cape, and a grin came into her lips. The sudden rush of adrenaline went pounding through her body, and it pulsated steadily. She was so close to victory that she could just taste the thrill of sitting in a huge guymelef. She drank in the mental images of the astonished children when she returned with her story, and the best thing about it was that Jarnuth would be right there to watch the entire thing.

Eiko had to wait until she could make absolutely sure that the coast was clear, as that run would be quite the risk. She listened carefully, and scanned over absolutely everything, before those sepia spheres returned to Jarnuth. She gave him a quick nod, and lingered there for a moment more. Nerve returned to her body, and she bent forward, making a rapid dash in the direction of the side. Jarnuth was close behind her, although a tad sluggish from that fall before. Eiko's running broke into a merry skip as she neared the place, and she did all she could to contain the giggle of absolute joy. She skid to a halt, and then flattened herself against the wall. Jarnuth slid a bit past Eiko, but he quickly moved right up beside her. Both the children's mouths went agape as they caught sight of the guymelef for the first time in person.

The unoccupied-Escaflowne took a kneeled position, almost beckoning anyone to enter it's confines. The hatch was wide open, extending an invitation for one of the two onlookers. Beautifully crafted metallic white-silver shined brilliantly in the light of day...even though there wasn't any sunlight to kiss it's outsides, it still took what little light it did have and used it gloriously. Arms hung lithely against it's sides, and the crowned 'head' of the metal giant was bowed forward with lifelessness. It's cape still continued the graceful sway with the slight breeze which caressed it. Emerald glimmerings bedecked the shoulder blades, and the garnet-hued energist containment glistened suggestively.

"Wow..." Jarnuth could only say that as he stared on in awe.

Eiko was a tad more bold, and she stepped forward, allowing her hand to brush over the velvety cloak. Her fingers then moved to the cold metal, and she smiled brightly up at the guymelef. She had an overwhelming desire to climb in there, and see exactly what it looked like. Maybe Van would get to pilot it someday, and she wanted to know everything there was about him. The little princess stepped lightly in front of the Escaflowne, and she moved forward, lifting herself up on her tiptoes so that she could touch the knee. Jarnuth blinked, and caught sight of these actions.

"E-Eiko...? What're you doing...?"

"I'm going to get in it..." Eiko smiled back at him, and then she ascended onto the giant's leg, inching closer to the cockpit.

Jarnuth blinked and watched her for a second, "Are you really sure that's a good idea? You could get caught, you know...and what if you break it...?"

"Relax, Jarnuth...I'll be fine!"

With those words, Eiko turned her body and leapt back into the seat. A wide-grin seized her lips as she surveyed everything. The surroundings were a copper hue, and she allowed her gaze to move toward the right spool, which was fitted for arms. She nipped on her lower lip to hold back her giggle as she reached her arms down each of those. Fingertips couldn't quite reach the rods at the end, but she felt absolutely powerful within the Ispano 'melef. A sudden flash caught her attention, and she blinked, sending a glance to the side. The energist within the holster began to resonate, and Eiko watched this with confusion.

"E-Eiko..w-what's going on...? Maybe...you should get out of there...?" Jarnuth looked on with slight fear.

"Yeah...you're right..." Eiko nodded in agreement.

The young princess slowly began to retract her hand, only to feel her heart rate speed up. A high-pitch sound came from the energist containment, and the glow brightened even more. Something wasn't right, and Eiko snapped her attention forward as the mechanical sounds emitted from deep within the guymelef. Her eyes widened, watching the hatch slowly close in on her. The vent came down as well, leaving her only a few lines of light in the otherwise dark area. A slight gasp escaped her lips and she quickly removed her hands from the arms of that Ispano giant...pounding them against the closed off area frantically. These efforts proved to no avail, and she began to claw desperately at her only escape. This vast blackness was the frightening kind...and it held her down angrily within the confines of the secluded area. Unable to hold back her cries, Eiko shrieked for help, and suddenly she felt a sharp pain tear into the side of her arm. This pain was followed by the feeling of warmth oozing out of her body. It trickled down her elbow, and slid off her fingertips. Her fear grew more and more, and as it did the energist chamber luminated brighter. More agonizing gashes were made along her skin, and the same reactions occurred.

The blood raced forth as quick as her heart was pounding, and Eiko lashed out within the cockpit. Loss of the much needed life-force quickened, leaving her body tired and fatigued. Her struggling began to lessen, and only fear gripped her. The pain had numbed at that point, and all she could feel was the fading of life. Her mind was slowly drifting away, and she couldn't hear Jarnuth's yells for her response. She couldn't even respond...she was stuck within the Escaflowne...as it drank her blood savagely. And from the outside, the Ispano 'melef seemed to smirk triumphantly...afterall...it had successfully destroyed the intruder-for she...was not the one with the blood bond. But, ironically, her blood was what the metal giant used for her demise. An abundance of vermilion fluid seeped out from the control chamber, and it was then that the rain had begun to fall...mingling with the bloodstained ground, and washing away those troubles from it's sight. The evidence of the guymelef's torture drifted away with the pounding droplets, and faded into oblivion.