Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Bad News ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Another short chapter...x.o eh...it seems sort of rushed to me. Tell me what you think about it...thanks! :D

"Eiko...?" Jarnuth moved forward, pressing a hand against the guymelef. "Eiko!! Come on, Eiko! Answer me!"

The young boy's hair had been matted down with the rainfall, though he didn't care much at that point. His concern lay only with Eiko...the way she had screamed had been a clear indication that something horribly wrong was going on within the guymelef. Jarnuth quickly vaulted up onto the metal giant's leg, and tiny, damp digits inched their way around the large chest piece of the Escaflowne as he tried with all his might to pry open the area. He was hardly strong enough to accomplish such a task, and he shifted back a step, waving his arms around wildly to avoid falling downward. The dampness had made the metal surface quite slippery, and Jarnuth wrapped his arms around a protruding spike of white to keep from falling down. A slight sigh of relief slipped past his lips. He had to survive...there was no way he could leave Eiko stranded within the 'melef. His attention landed on the thick streams of crimson that lined the ground, and desperately he pounded against the chest of the white giant.

"Eiko!! Come on!"

"What's going on out here...?"

Jarnuth whipped around quickly, and his eyes landed Prince Folken. Lips parted slightly, but only a choked sound escaped. The only noise between them was the steady downpour for sometime. The young prince arched a single brow, and then shifted forward. Children were able to sneak into the palace gates? Well...he wouldn't report him, but he did have to get stern. Folken practiced what he was going to say while he strode over, but the vermilion trail on the normal pristine white of the Escaflowne caught his eye. He stopped and lowered that gaze to the abundance of blood which spilled onto the ground. His eyes widened, and he hurried forward, grasping Jarnuth and helping him down. The boy blinked in surprise, letting his grip loosen on what he was hanging onto, finding himself planted safely on the ground. Afterward, the Fanelian prince rushed to the ruby containment chamber, placing his palm flat against it. The Escaflowne let out that screech as well as the brilliant glow, and the hatch slowly opened. As if lifting a dam, the blood that was held back flowed out onto the ground. The two were almost repulsed by this, though they disregarded it quickly. Both Jarnuth and Folken were only concerned with the girl. Eiko had apparently been leaning against the opening, and as soon as that disappeared, she came tumbling out onto the ground. Cuts and gashes were strewn out all over her body, and the blood soaked right through her clothing, leaving the once jubilant girl...cold and inanimate.

"Oh...no...Eiko..." Jarnuth went pale at the sight of his lifeless friend.

Folken hurried forward, and lifted the girl with ease. He examined her body to check for signs of life, and to his relief, there were some. A few very short and very strained breaths were drawn in past those ashen lips. His first and main concern was to get her to safety. He nodded Jarnuth to follow along with him and both rushed off in the direction of the palace gates. The guards asked no questions once they saw the condition of the girl, and the path to freedom was opened up. Luckily, the doctor's office wasn't so far from the palace, and the two ran along, droplets of rain stinging their cheeks. Jarnuth looked toward Folken first, and then spared a glance to Eiko. She hung so freely within the teenager's arms. Limbs dangled enervatedly and the once beautiful locks of jet were matted and clumped with her own blood. The wounds had not even begun to seal. Little rose blossoms left their trail along the ground, collected by the rainfall and cleaned from sight. Jarnuth closed his eyes tightly, and then picked up his jog which eventually brought both along to that clinic. With Folken's instruction, the youth opened the door for him, and then they darted inside.

"Doctor...hurry! This girl has been terribly wounded..." Folken shifted his glance around, and sure enough the wiry man emerged from the back.

The Doctor glanced at them over the rim of his glasses, and then his eyes widened, "Oh my...set her down in the back room...I'll be there as soon as I get my stitching tools..."

The prince nodded sharply, and skid into the back, the blue curtain swaying viciously from his connection with it. Eiko's limp form was lain atop the bed, and Folken stepped back. His attention moved toward Jarnuth, and then upward as soon as the Doctor entered that room. He motioned both of the boy's away, so he could do his work...and following the orders, Folken grasped a hold of Jarnuth's shoulder, guiding him away from the scene. They didn't leave the office, however...just the room. The younger of the two looked back to the curtain worriedly, though his attention was pulled away as soon as the taller boy knelt to his level.

"What...happened? What were you two doing behind the castle's walls...?"

Jarnuth blinked, and fidgeted for some excuse...any excuse. Though, as he didn't come up with one, he just settled for the truth, "We wanted to see the Escaflowne. Eiko...s-she climbed in it....and then...I don't know. It just...just...closed on her! And she was screaming...and I couldn't help her...this is all my fault!"

"Shh...no. It isn't your fault...and you can help her, you know. All you have to do is hope...and as legend has it...your wishes will come true..." Folken tried to console the young lad.

"I don't care about legend! Eiko is probably going to die! Did you see how much blood she lost?! It's because of that stupid guymelef...it killed her...and...and if Eiko does die..then I...I'm..." Jarnuth didn't know where to go with that, and he just let the tears spring forth as his emotions had taken control of him.

Folken let out a sigh, and pushed himself upright. It was much easier to comfort Van than any stranger. He didn't quite know what to say whereas he would have probably mentioned something about Balgus and his odd habits to his younger brother. So, as it was probably best in the long run, Folken said nothing. He sank silently into thought, and lifted his attention toward the back room-which was covered from his view by a mask of cyan. He just wondered how and why the Escaflowne had done such a thing. His father had mentioned a few times where he could actually "feel the guymelef's pain." Though, he never actually heard of it hurting him. Perhaps it had something to do with the blood-pact, or maybe the Ispano designed it to do such. Either way, the prince hoped against hope that the little girl survived. Eiko was a fighter after all. Folken remembered her from the river, and he was certain that if anyone could survive this....it was her. However, his main problem lay with the crying Jarnuth.

"Dr. Wyndly will take care of her. We should probably go now and inform her family. Do you know exactly where she lives...?" Folken decided to play the part of the 'responsible adult.'

Jarnuth sniffled some, and raised his palms to sweep the tears away, "I...um..yeah...I know where she lives...yeah."

"Then...you should bring me there. It's important that her family knows..."

"O-of course, Prince Folken..." The young boy glanced toward the curtain one final time, before he turned around glumly and led his elder out the door.

* * *

Daynus dabbed his mouth with the corner of the napkin, and set that down on the side, using his fork to scrape up the last remnants of those gravy soaked mashed potatoes. With no choice but to give up with his efforts for more of the wonderful meal, he set the utensil lightly on the tray, and leaned back comfortably in the chair. He drew in a deep breath, and patted his stomach lightly through that loose fabric. He had never eaten so well in his life, and he felt pleasantly full because of it. A grin rose into his lips, and he brought his thumb up to pick some of the meat from between two teeth. After that was accomplished, he looked toward Fanis, tilting his head with interest. The golden-haired woman stood beside the window, staring out intently into the rainstorm.

"Fan...hon'...you know you look oddly similar to Eiko..." Daynus teased.

Fanis shook her head softly, and then glanced back at him, "Eiko...I'm worried about her. The rain is really coming down hard...she should be back by now."

The blacksmith sighed, and with a bit of effort pushed himself from that chair. Booted steps carried him over to his wife, and he brought his arms lightly around her form, "Eiko is probably fine. Maybe Briassa brought her to her house because it was closer. I'm certain there's nothing to worry about." Daynus moved in, and planted a kiss to her cheek. "You know...that meal was absolutely wonderful..."

A forced smile came from the mother's lips, and she leaned against him. She watched the window for a few more moments, before she responded, "I'm glad you liked it. If I recall correctly...it was Garrus's favorite meal...Garrus...you know...Eiko is growing up more and more like him each day..."

"And the Celia in her is also becoming apparent. Hm...do you think someday we should tell her...of her real heritage?" Daynus canted his head.

Fanis paused, and then turned around to face him, "She has the right to know. Though...she won't understand it at this age. We should probably wait until she is old enough to understand. I know Celia and Garrus would have liked it better that way..."

"May Atlantis rest their souls..." The man bowed his head respectfully.

After those words came, there was a light knock on the door. Daynus slouched as his moment was interrupted, and he took a step back, releasing his wife. Fanis quirked a brow, and then clutched the end of her skirt, swiftly moving toward the door. Her fingers curled around the knob, and with a slight twist she pulled it open. She stared in confusion at the two on her doorstep. The young prince Folken Fanel was hardly up to his physical standards. The silvery locks were flopped over and some droplets clung to the ends of the soaked spikes. They descended to the porch, and were followed by others from his drenched, green shirt. Beside him, stood an equally wet Jarnuth Molin, who rubbed at his reddened eyes, and sniffled some.

"Miss..." Folken trailed off for a moment as he tried to recall the girl's last name. "Omoi...?"

"Y-yes, Prince Folken...?" Fanis responded, and offered a polite curtsey.

"I...have...some bad news..." Folken started, and then looked toward both of them grimly. "About your daughter...Eiko..."