Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Healing ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A painful cringe rose up Eiko's spine, but she absolutely had to wake up. She had to open her eyes in order to see Van. It had been everything she had ever dreamed for, just to talk to him...to share one word with him. She remembered how dark things were, and as soon as his voice sounded-the light that had shone down gave everything a different look. It helped her find her way back to reality, yet, she was still weak. She wondered what happened that made her so. Finally, Eiko got those lids up, and they fell again in a blink. Oh yes...there were an array of familiar faces. Ones which she was grateful to see...but...Van was not one of them.

Fanis allowed a wide-grin to seize her lips, and warm tears of happiness spilled as she threw her arms tightly around Daynus. He shared in her joy, and wrapped his arms around her body, spinning her around merrily. Several grins were offered to the youth, and her brows drew together. Had she dreamed it? Had Van really only been a distant memory...? The memories seemed muddled and far away, and Eiko closed her eyes again, searching the depths of her mind for such. Unfortunately, it didn't help one bit...though it was less of a strain to keep those eyes closed. Voices sounded around her, and she heard the distinct sound of Dr. Wyndly.

"Now...now...I must examine her...so if you all would wait outside...I'll call you back in once I'm sure she's stabilized."


It took a few weeks for Eiko to be released, and even when she was allowed home, she remained weak. Fanis made several of her favorite foods for all three meals of the day, and for that the little princess was grateful. But, the young girl was still bothered and disoriented by distant memories. She never could come to a conclusion as to whether Van had really been by her side or not, but despite whether he was physically there...it was true that he had saved her. What he had saved her from was unknown as well. She had vague feelings of a frightening familiarity when she was placed completely in a darkened room, and she refused to sleep with her door closed all the way. For some reason, being shut inside a tight space just seemed far too frightening. And, her parents hadn't offered any explanation...only that she had been terribly injured.

Within Eiko's first few days home, Fanis stayed with her until she fell asleep...but as a few colors changed...she was able to atleast rest alone. Doctor Wyndly said she was making progress...but progress toward what? She wasn't mentally ill after all...atleast she didn't think so. She could walk, talk, and do the normal things she had before. Her only problem was those few unexplained fears, though other than that...things were all right. But, she would continue to be on her best behavior whenever he came around...who knew-maybe she would even be allowed back outside to play with her friends. Thoughts circled around those children...she missed them. It seemed like it had been forever since she last saw any of them, and none came to visit her which was slightly disappointing. Eiko 'needed her space and time alone' according to her mother's words...but it just wasn't fair that she couldn't have any form of human contact.

Those sepia oculars moved toward the line of 'presents' she had received from her friends. It was strange, how each had gotten her a different form of stuffed animal. They were all propped up on her toy chest, squished together in a group. Eiko smiled faintly toward them; they were really her only piece to prove the children had even existed...and if she was cooped up in her house for very much longer, she might even start to doubt in that. She pushed herself up slowly, and then felt something tickle her arm. Those eyes moved to her hand, and caught sight of the dainty bracelet she clasped around it. Jarnuth. That name popped into her mind as soon as she saw it. With the teddy bear he had given to her, there was a friendship bracelet attached. Actually...there were supposed to be two, but apparently the youth had removed the second and kept it for himself. Eiko didn't mind, however. Jarnuth deserved it after 'being a hero.' Atleast that was what Fanis told her...that Jarnuth and Prince Folken had saved her from whatever had happened. Eiko felt inclined to believe it though-since she really had no knowledge of the whole turn of events herself.

Legs were swung over the opposite side and the youth eased her way onto her feet. That task was accomplished easily, and Eiko stood there a moment, letting her gaze meander about the room. Her attention drifted to the hallway. A sigh of relief was let out as she realized she hadn't been sealed in. Eiko slipped out of her room and into the kitchen. Fanis just set down a tray of fresh-made pancakes, which once she spotted her daughter, she offered a warm smile. Eiko returned it and moved to her seat. Daynus strolled out of the back with a hum as he spun around, and leaned forward kiss the young girl atop her head. She giggled in response, raising her hand to swipe away the peck.

Daynus gasped, and stated in mock surprise, "You wiped off my kiss! Well...I'll get you for that...c'mere!"

Eiko found herself pulled into her father's arms and felt those lips connect with her forehead, cheeks, and chin. She giggled and squirmed around in hopes to avoid the kisses. Daynus chuckled letting her back onto her seat. With a bright smile, the girl brought her hands up to run her palms over the various areas and her father's jaw dropped playfully. He moved in closer, poking her side lightly.

"Just you wait...I'll get you.." He smirked and then moved toward Fanis, bringing his arms around her. "Breakfast smells absolutely...wonderful, hon' "

"Why thank you, Daynus. I'm going to heat up the maple syrup...so breakfast will be ready in a minute," Fanis wriggled out of his grasp and placed a kiss on his cheek as she smoothly moved toward that wood stove.

Daynus grinned and brought his knuckle across the slightly dampened area. Eiko beamed and pointed, "You wiped off mother's kiss!"

"I did not! You little tattle-tail..." The father gave her a smug smile.

The woman laughed, and brought the pan over toward the table. She tilted it up, and allowed the thick topping to ooze into a pitcher for easy pouring. She set the dirty dish in the wash bucket to soak, and then she glanced toward them slowly, "Well...you two can dig in...I hope you like it."

"Of course we will..." Daynus sat on his chair, and grabbed his fork, sticking the prongs directly through one of those pancakes and depositing it on his plate.

Eiko followed suit, and then reached for the syrup, finding it snatched up before she could get it. Daynus smirked teasingly toward her, and then just tipped it over his daughter's plate. She smiled up at him, and then watched as the maple elixir covered the light tan breakfast food, swallowing it up in it's thick brown shine. The first few bites were taken, and they gave nods of approval toward Fanis, who simply smiled and sank onto the chair beside Daynus. Her hands were clasped neatly on her lap, and she lifted her attention toward Eiko.

"Doctor Wyndly is coming by today..." She informed.

"Is he?" Eiko slouched.

"Mmmhmm...but he says you've been making very much progress,"

"He always says that..."

"Well, young lady...he means it. You have come very far from the accident."

"But...I don't really see any difference. And...I'm...I just want to go outside again and play."

"Eiko...we've been over this. I can't risk you getting hurt again...so soon after this."

"I know...I know! But...it's just..."

"Boring in here...?" Daynus cut into the conversation.

"Yeah! I mean...no..." Eiko nipped on her bottom lip, swinging her feet back and forth.

Fanis sighed, "Well...Eiko...we'll see what Doctor Wyndly says after he comes today. If he says your well enough to go outside...then I'll let you tomorrow..."

The girl smiled brightly, "Thank you, mother!"


"Now...look this way...okay...good. And then this way... yep...that's good. Now take in a few deep breaths...and again...very good. And we're done...let me just speak with your mother for a bit..."

Eiko blinked, finding a candy shoved into her hand, and then she watched as Doctor Wyndly disappeared into the other room. She sighed as she plopped herself on the cushioned couch, fumbling absently with the wrapper of that treat. As thumbs ran over the paper it made a crinkling sound, but this removal proved to be a more difficult task than it seemed. The treasure within had melted some and forced the plastic to stick to it like glue. The girl gritted her teeth, and pulled at the wrapping until she managed to pry it off. Unfortunately, those efforts sent the candy skidding across the ground, and Eiko frowned as she watched it. All that work...for nothing.

Legs were crossed at the ankles, and Eiko folded her hands neatly on her lap. Eyes were intent on the hallway as she waited for the two adults to emerge. She needed the outdoors again, she needed to see her friends. It was horribly depressing to know that they were all having fun without her. They had probably all moved on in the game, and forgot about Van, which was the last thing the girl wanted them to do. Her entire plans to prove just how wonderful that prince was had gone up in smoke, and her those blackened brows drew together. Why couldn't anything go her way anymore?

Suddenly, the elder's voices sounded as both the doctor and Fanis came out. The shared in some conversation about the royal palace, and Eiko really paid it no mind. She was only listening for anything that had to do with her...and the outside. Knees were brought beneath herself, and she twisted her form around. Fingertips wrapped around the back of the couch which the girl peeked over toward the two. Sadly, she heard no word about her condition and the next thing that came were the proper 'good-byes' as Dr. Wyndly offered Eiko a wave, walking out of the home. Fanis stood there a moment longer, watching him leave before she spun around, pressing her palm against the door to seal it. The girl let out a sigh, and just sank back against the seat, slumping in depression.

"Well, Eiko..." Fanis stepped around in front of her, and knelt down to her level.

The girl simply gave her mother her attention.

"It seems as though you can go outside tomorrow..."

Eyes widened, and then she beamed, "Really?! Oh, this is great!!"

Before Fanis could react, she had tiny arms thrown tightly around her, and the mother smiled, returning that hug. The sound of the opening door brought them both apart, and the blonde rose to her feet. Eiko spun around, and let her gaze catch on Daynus. Though, something wasn't right...he didn't offer the normal grin he often gave her when he came home from work. He stumbled inside, and silently removed his boots, kicking them aside with a sock-covered foot. Fanis reached forward and clutched the bottom of her skirt as she made her way up to him. Concern glazed her elegant features and she lay her palms on his back lightly.

"Daynus...? Is something wrong...?"

The blacksmith sighed, exchanging a glance with her and then Eiko. He dropped those eyes to the floor, "Y-yeah...something is...wrong."

"What is it, father?" Eiko watched him with a frown.

"Eiko...Fanis..." Daynus released a sigh, and closed his eyes as he delivered the news. "King Goau...passed on this morning..."