Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Day of Mourning ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The death of the Fanelian king was a horrible tragedy, not only for the royal family themself-but the country's inhabitants who had grown to love him. The news spread rapidly throughout the entire world of Gaea, and they set the date for the funeral the very next day. Morning came slowly for most, and the sun didn't even seem to possess it's normal brilliance. It too, shared in the grieving. Van Fanel had lost a father, and the entire country of Fanelia lost its leader. Eiko found her heart-aching for the poor prince, for she wouldn't know what to do if it were Daynus who had died.

The young princess was prepared rather early, clad entirely in black from head to toe. Eiko didn't understand why she had to dress in such a dreadful color, but when Fanis had picked out the outfit for her, she explained that it was only proper to show respect for the deceased. Both her parents wore outfits to match her own, and it felt eerily strange to share the same hue in clothing. It was almost as if the entire town were putting on uniforms for this day when they were supposed to be saying their good-byes to the King. His illness had taken him, and true it was a horrible thing. Even Eiko was sad about it, despite the fact that she didn't know the man very well, but she wondered if maybe this was for the best. Atleast...he would no longer suffer.

"Well..." Daynus straightened out his tie with a slight sigh. "I suppose we should go...shouldn't we?"

Fanis glanced toward him momentarily, and then pressed her lips together with a solemn nod. Her hand went forward to accept Eiko's within. She blinked up at her mother, and then slid her fingers slowly into the offering, dropping her gaze to her shoes. There was a slight tug which sent her into motion, but she quickly followed and didn't allow that stare to waver. She needed this time for thought, this walk would do her mind quite a bit of good. Everyone appeared so glum and upset...and it was a rarity that even a sad smile was broken over the past miets of the other day and that morning. A ceremonious shuffle of boots brought the Fanelian's toward the shrine where King Goau was to be laid to rest. It was strange to think that a man...who had once been so thriving and full of life no longer breathed the same air, or ruled over the country for that matter.

Several pairs of legs lined the area, and Eiko blinked, finally pulling up that gaze to dart around the surroundings. Dark clothing marked everyone in sight, and a few sniffles were heard over quiet mumbling chatter. Her eyes surveyed the crowd for anyone she recognized..and one by one she plucked each of her child friends out of the vast, black encased life forms. Briassa picked up her blue-stare, and caught sight of Eiko. Crystals lit up with recognition, and she reached over for Viole's arm, tugging on the sleeve of his raven shirt. He blinked, giving her his attention, and then followed the pointing finger toward the girl herself. A smile crossed his lips and he waved in her direction. Eiko could only return it with a halfhearted curve of tiers, moving her eyes forward.

From what she could see, the casket itself was closed. Light glinted off the polished oak, and all four Samurai Brigadier generals held the corners up proudly over that trench which was made for burial. The brilliant glory of the red and gold Fanelian flag was draped over the surface of the coffin, and swayed a bit in the breeze. Surrounding the large rectangle itself was an array of rainbow colored flower baskets. The guymelefs of the soldiers lay dormant beside the Escaflowne, devoid of their pilots...but paying respects toward the deceased king no-less. Clouds began to stretch their way over the sun's rays, trying to block out any form of happiness the golden light provided, and the wind swished silently, collecting fabric from various things and jumbling it in a fluid motion, until it was forced to settle down.

A horse's neigh was heard off to the side, and a few soldiers had the animal's reigns in hand as they guided it in the direction of the area. The empty saddle sat eerily upon its back; it was almost as though a phantasm of the king was perched upon it. Four men followed the equine and halted before the coffin. They lifted their horns, the Fanelian flags upon them swaying respectfully as the trumpeted melody began. Murmurs stopped at the tune and everyone hung their heads. The music washed over the crowd with a striking realization to show the fact that they were...at King Goau's funeral.

Eiko studied people's behavior and expressions. Not one single person in the group of collected citizens didn't look upset. True, there were different degrees to their sorrow. Some bawled loudly while others just frowned. The little girl brought her attention to the front again. She finally noticed the royal family. Varie was, by far, the most broken up about this. The queen sobbed steadily and it was Folken's comforting hand that slid over her shoulder. Van was really trying to appear strong, though his chest rose and fell too unnaturally to have not been holding back tears. The pink-haired cat girl was by his side, however, latching onto his arm and saying quiet words of succor every now and then. Eiko pinched her lips together. If only she could have been in Merle's shoes.

The majestic fanfare cut off and the trumpeters sank back into the crowd. The priest stepped up and opened a leather-bound, black book in front of himself. Clearing his throat, he began to read something about for every life taken, a new one would arise. He quoted things about sacrifices being made and new generations benefiting from such. Afterward, he closed the book and lifted a sword of some sort. The man's hand was curled around the blade as the hilt itself was extended in Folken's direction. The teenage prince released his mother and stepped forward to take that end, keeping his hand there while the priest spoke.

"And so, it is time...to sacrifice that which the King himself held dear. It is a sacrifice that will be buried along with him so that he may have it in the next life. Prince Folken Lacour De Fanel shall do the honors in delivering King Goau of Fanelia...his royal horse."

Eiko gasped at those words, watching Folken take the sword away. They were going to kill the horse! She didn't want to see this...why would anyone want to see it? Nobody even appeared the slightest bit phased by it. The young girl shut her eyes tightly, refusing to watch such a repulsive scene. Seeing anything die was something that lived in a person's mind for the rest of their life, tormenting their thoughts and corrupting their dreams with its haunting memory. Visually, Eiko would not be afflicted, though she could still hear the events. There were a few, grass-muddled footsteps, and then an oblivious neigh to follow. A few voices rose up after a lengthy pause as apparently Folken was hesitating. She didn't blame him, though...not one bit. A sudden hush came over the crowd as there was a sickening, tearing sound, followed directly by an agonized whinny. The little girl couldn't help but flinch at the animal's pain, her heart beat furiously and a few tears slid silently down her cheeks. A thud sounded afterward, and then the surprising clank of the sword dropping to the ground.

Reopening her eyes, Eiko saw the results as the animal lay in a dead heap. Folken stared on in absolute shock, his hands trembling violently. She watched him take a few stunned steps back to his family as he eyed his bloodstained hands. The prince apparently hadn't wanted to do that, and Eiko felt sorry for him, understanding completely. Soldiers moved up from behind the royalty and collected the carcass. Driblets of crimson fell to the ground as the once thriving steed was then lowered into the trench.

"Our Fanelia..." The priest began. "A land blessed by lush forests and protected by the dragons themselves...this day marks a turning point in our beloved country. King Goau has gone, but he shall never be forgotten. And so...it is this day that his soul is lain to rest, beside the sacred shrine where the Escaflowne shall sleep until the dragon trial is completed by the king's successor. Please take this moment to say your final farewells as we lower the casket into the ground."

About eight or so soldiers stepped forward at that point. They unsheathed their swords rhythmically and then split into two groups of four. The men moved to opposite sides, raising those weapons high above their heads. Those arms slanted some to allow the blades to touch against another-creating a triangular shape over the coffin. Balgus, Luva, Asona, and Yurizen followed suit only once their swords were out, they tucked them beneath King Goau's containment. Slowly, their deceased leader began his journey into his burial spot. Several citizens moved forward and left flowers behind as they shifted to the opposite side to watch the end of the funeral.

Eiko felt a slight push on her back, and she stumbled forward in line, sparing a glance back at Daynus who had been the one to deliver it. She sighed, turning her attention forward and just stepping up as the group lessened. There was a tug on her sleeve, and Eiko looked toward it to see Briassa and Viole walking beside her.

"Eiko...we missed you. Where have you been?" Viole whispered, just so that no one heard the fact that he was talking about something other than the king.

"Yeah...even Karyn wants to know..." Briassa added quietly.

"My parents haven't let me out much. I think they're afraid that another accident will happen. But, I should be out today. My mother said I could yesterday...I just hope this doesn't change her mind," Eiko matched their tone.

"Yeah, me too. I just need something good to happen after being here," Briassa sighed.

"I know. Things'll be much better when everything's back to normal. Maybe even some people will start to smile again," Viole looked forward to see how close they were.

"I don't really think they'll ever get back to normal..." Eiko looked between them with a frown.

The three children sank into silence and then slowly approached the flower-ridden burial site. Eiko sucked in a deep breath and for the first time since she got there-she lost control of her emotions. It was a sudden reaction to the realization that King Goau was actually dead...and she was standing before his grave where that death lingered so strongly. She knew of course...she understood that he had died...but she just hadn't connected it together within her mind. Some throaty sobs escaped her and she probably would have collapsed, had Viole not rushed his arms around her comfortingly. She instantly leaned into that support, her face burying itself in the boy's chest and her knees giving way beneath her. But, the Arem twin was quite strong and kept her on her feet, guiding her slowly away from the coffin.

With no will of her own, Eiko stumbled along to the safety of the group. Viole moved her to the farthest side with Briassa trailing along closely behind. Fanis and Daynus had seen the situation, but couldn't exactly chase after her. There was only one time during a funeral which they could say good-bye, and if they didn't take it, they may have regretted it later on. And though, Daynus was still a bit angry with past deeds of Goau, he managed to put all that aside and bid farewell to the king.

The little princess had yet to calm down as steady cries were muffled into the black fabric of Viole's shirt. He lifted one hand to stroke through ebon silk and blinked in surprise at the soft feel of her hair. Though, he quickly disregarded the velvety touch and focused on comforting his friend. Sparing a glance toward Briassa for ideas, he only received a shrug from his sister. Viole made a face and then swept a few dark strands away from Eiko's forehead. His gaze lowered to her once again and he tried words first.

"Shh...Eiko, it's okay. It'll be okay...trust me. The King...well...he's probably very happy right now. The Gods will protect him, it's...um...their duty," Viole sighed as there was no change. That simply brought up a more natural speech. "Eiko, it doesn't suit you to be so upset. Please cheer up? Briassa and me only want to see you feeling better. We care a lot about you, Eiko. And you...well...you deserve to atleast be somewhat happy after all you've been through. Eiko...I love you--we love you. Er...um...as friends, ya see? Because friends love friends...and that's perfectly normal..."

Briassa blinked and quirked a brow at her brother. It wasn't like him at all to get so deep, but the blonde moved closer, resting her hand lightly on Eiko's arm, "He's right, Eiko. It's a first...but Viole's right. We all do love you and just want to see you a little better. Now...could you try and cheer up for us a little...?"

Eiko gave a few dying sniffles, and managed to nod as she drew back from Viole. Her palms moved up to sweep the saline away as she shook her head, "I...just don't know why that happened. I don't know why I got upset. I didn't even know him...I-I..."

"Don't think about it...just stick around with us for a while, okay?" Viole gave her a light hug, before he let the girl go.

"Yeah...this thing is almost done...pretty soon...you won't have to worry about any of it..." Briassa tried her best to comfort, though sadly it didn't come out the way she meant.

The raven-haired girl allowed a small smile to peek through those lips as she moved in, wrapping an arm around both of them, "Thank you...the both of you. I'm feeling much better now...and it's all thanks to you..."

Both fraternal twins looped their arms around her as well, and the three shared in a brief group hug. Each moved back slowly, and then gave their attention forward. Folken had recovered from earlier, or atleast he appeared to have as he casually guided Van by the hand toward the mound of dirt. He offered a sad smile to the boy, and handed him the rather large shovel so that the first few grains of soil were put atop the casket by him. The young prince sighed, taking the wooden handle in both hands. He struggled to move it into the pile, and collected the earth on the end. Pulling with all his might, he managed to have a decent shovel-full of dirt, and he slowly moved toward the trench, tipping the end of it just slightly. Grains scattered themselves across the coffin's lid, and some rolled off to the side to collect beneath it. Folken reached out, resting his hand on Van's frail shoulder and easing him back from the dangerous area. It was the four Samurai Brigadier generals who filled the spot in respectively. King Goau...the king of Fanelia who had been such for about thirty-three long years...was finally at requiescence. May his soul...rest in peace.