Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ In a Matter of Moments ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I'm baaack ^__^! Whoo...all fixed up and everything...and as promised...I'm uploading the next five chapters... :D just about done~! If all goes according to plan I only have about 3 more to write...but anyway...I hope you enjoy! :D:D

The wind swished its way through the trees, making the leaves rustle and shake across a cloudless, oceanic canvas. It was surprisingly cool for a day in Red. Many of the townsfolk were out enjoying the pleasant shift in weather. And the animals also basked in the tranquil air, finding great joy within it. Birds, of course, serenaded the area and the bees hummed along as they carelessly drifted from blossom to blossom. Overall, almost everyone found that morning absolutely beautiful.

It had been a few days since the funeral and the citizens were slowly, but surely, getting back to normal routine. Some still beared long faces, but that was to be expected. Within her time out of the house, Eiko couldn't help but overhear some rather nasty conversations about Prince Folken. No one seemed to believe in his talent and some even placed bets on how long the teenager would survive the battle before the dragon ended his life. That morning in particular, the murmurs had been even more vicious...as it was going to be that day, that Prince Folken left for the trial.

Eiko, clad in the clothing of a certain other prince, rushed to meet with the safety of her group. She didn't like the attitudes of the adults lately, and she just wanted to be free of the whispers that inadvertently fell on her ears. To escape to their loss of reality and to have life melt away into pretend, that was what the young girl longed for more than anything at that particular moment. Luckily, that escape route was not so far away. She hopped, skipped, and raced to meet up with those children who's smiling faces greeted her as she arrived. A grin and an overexcited wave was offered in return.

"Hey, Eiko...we were just talking about what we're gonna do with our game..." Briassa nodded, and scrunched up her nose some, before she made her way toward her friend.

"Oh? But can't we just continue where we left off?" Eiko questioned.

Viole rolled his eyes and shook his head, sparing a glance toward Karyn, "No...he won't quit ramblin'..."

"Hey! Shut up, Arem...okay! I'm just sayin' I can't play as King Goau because he's dead now! I can't be someone who's dead..." Karyn whined.

"You think you'd be a little more sensitive. This is the king we're talking about..." Jarnuth remarked with a sigh.

"I care! Geeze...I care that he's dead...but I'm just sayin'...how can I play him now?"

Briassa leaned closer to Eiko, inspecting the ties of Prince Van's shirt with fascination. She never really did take the opportunity to look over the clothing, and it was interesting to think that the outfit came from the royal palace. Only half listening to the conversation, she spoke up in response to Karyn, "Then why don't you make up someone new...? You know...like my brother does..."

"I don't want a new character..."

Sorien and Asantay had been quiet for most of the time, sharing their own private conversation about the dragons in Fanelia. The redhead aimlessly rocked on the step, tucking her hands beneath her bottom and kicking her heels against the side. As for the brunet, he told stories that he heard from his parents...as Mr. and Mrs. Cyan must have been quite the informative bunch. Sorien giggled at something, and gave a playful nudge in the boy's direction. Eiko could only tilt her head watching this display. Her interest was pulled away once she heard Jarnuth and Karyn yelling insults back and forth. What had happened to spark such outbursts, she had completely missed so she was absolutely oblivious as to what was going on. Viole quickly rushed in between them, sighing with a shake of his head.

"Enough! Geeze...sometimes I think you fight just for the sake of feeling the pain...and that's just plain weird..." The Arem boy commented, watching Karyn settle and slump off to the furthest space in that patch of grass.

"I can't wait to see the dragon trial today!" Sorien spoke up, finally allowing the others to become involved with her talk.

"...you...won't actually see it, Sori..." Asantay blinked.

"Yeah, Prince Folken's going to go out on his own and slay the big, dumb dragon all right!" Jarnuth grinned, proud to portray the eldest prince.

"The dragon trial is a thing all kings go through, Eiko...they all--" Asantay began to explain.

Eiko huffed, "I know what it is!"

"O-oh..." Asantay just quickly silenced.

"Surprising...she didn't even know what a guymelef was!" Karyn taunted.

"Shut up, Karyn!" Viole and Jarnuth exchanged glances as those words slipped past their mouths simultaneously.

Eiko pursed her lips, "So...when is he supposed to leave...? I'd...like to see him go..."

"You'd like to see Prince Van...you mean..." Karyn snickered.

"No, Karyn! I want to see Prince Folken leave!" The young girl sighed, true as it was that she wanted to see the youngest Fanelian prince...she had to mask those feelings to avoid ridicule.

Asantay looked toward Eiko, cutting in quickly so that her question could be answered, "It won't be until later in the afternoon. Because my father says that they'll have a big banquet and then prepare him with sturdy armor...armor made by your father actually. He needs to prepare himself mentally as well...but I'm sure Prince Folken can do it. There hasn't been a king of Fanelia who hasn't completed the trial....so it must be pretty easy."

"I hope so...Prince Folken deserves it after all he's saved me..." Eiko sank to the ground, and hugged her knees against her chest. "But...I'm not so sure he'll enjoy doing it..."

"Huh? Why not?" Briassa looked to Eiko slowly.

"Well..." She replied. "I know he wasn't too pleased about having to kill that horse--"

"But a horse is different, Eiko! A horse..." Jarnuth sighed, trying to figure out a good explanation. "A horse is a tame animal...it's something that helps people...and something he's probably known all his life. Like a pet I guess. A dragon's...just some big, dumb lizard that breathes fire and destroys places. It kills and hunts for a living...and it doesn't deserve to live..."

"Everything deserves to live, Jarnuth..." Eiko glanced up at him quickly.

"I...uh...um...didn't mean it that way...I..." The lad stuttered.

"What he means is...who cares about a stupid dragon anyway? They're dumb and pointless...'least you can use a horse..." Karyn shrugged.

Eiko sighed, "I just don't understand...what does killing a dragon prove to people...? Why is it the soul purpose of becoming king of Fanelia? People could get really hurt that way..."

"But no one has, Eiko!! They've all lived so it doesn't matter!" Karyn argued in aggravation.

"Yeah...I really don't think there's anything to worry about," Asantay chimed in.

"Prince Folken will make it back okay...you'll see. He'll probably be back by tonight..." Briassa nodded.

"But...what if--"

"God, Eiko! Stop with the 'what if's' do you want Prince Folken to die or something?!" Sorien had apparently been getting annoyed.

The raven-haired girl frowned, and just sank into silence, mumbling a quick apology. She hated to bring everyone down by thinking negatively, but if they all refused to think of the worst case scenario...how would they ever be prepared if it happened? She released a sigh and lay back against the grass, feeling little blades tickle along her bare arms. A sepia gaze locked itself on the deep, blue sky above her. It's cloudless brilliance seemed to stir up many thoughts and silently enjoyed them, adding comfort to Eiko when need-be. The children's conversations were distant and hard to hear, but no one seemed to be addressing her, so there was really no reason why she needed to listen.

Horse's hooves beat steadily upon the ground, growing closer and closer to the children. The group quickly hushed which caught Eiko's attention. She pushed herself upright and let her eyes land on the steeds that were all lined up in the center. Glancing toward the riders, one by one she picked out Balgus, Luva, Asona, Yurizen, Prince Folken, and...lucky for her...Prince Van. Eiko smiled and bowed her head respectfully, inching back to the safety of her friends. The two princes moved up into the middle of that area and Folken dismounted his horse. An olive-hued armor bound his form, the chest piece, shoulder coverings, and forearms were completely composed of granite. A sword was strapped against his side and when he moved, the hilt clanked on the end of the armored chest. Townsfolk gathered around them, slowly crowding out the sight of anything past the royalty.

"In a matter of moments..." Folken began. "I, Folken Lacour De Fanel, will go out into the forests and slay the dragon for the trial. Lord Balgus's teaching has prepared me for such over the past few days. I strongly believe that I will complete the task and return to Fanelia as its new king...but...in the event of my death...Fanelia shall be rulerless until such time as my brother, Van Slanzer De Fanel, becomes old enough to go on the trial himself."

Van...Slanzer? Eiko thought with slight amusement, but she clapped her hands together as the rest of the people began to applaud. Folken smiled in response and turned, sharing some words with Balgus and the others. Finally, the teenage prince spun around to face his brother. The black-haired youth fidgeted with the horse's reigns uncomfortably, a visible frown painted across his lips. The elder Fanel sighed and moved in quickly to sweep Van off that saddle. He blinked in surprise, but then threw his arms around Folken, to which the armored king-to-be returned, speaking comfortingly with him. Apparently, Van believed those words, and he smiled back at his sibling, nodding his head until he was placed back on that horse. Folken spared one last hesitant look toward him, before he jumped back on his own equine. With a sharp kick to the animal's side, it began to trot off into the distance, carrying the country's hope along with it.



Folken never did return to Fanelia. Many went out to search for him, but returned with no trace. Several times did Balgus aid in the hunt and found it quite strange how even the horse and sword had disappeared. Rumors surfaced and hung over Fanelia about how Folken had been a coward. People said that he had run away from the right of succession or how he was far too young to be a king. No one seemed the least bit upset about it. Much like with Goau's steed, they expected it to die and showed no compassion whatsoever once the animal met its fate. Though, proving someone did care, Queen Varie set out on her own one day, to look for her lost son...but she too had disappeared. Van had suddenly become an orphan with no direct family to take care of him. He still had Balgus and Merle, but the prince clung to the hope that in a matter of moments-just like it had taken his brother, it would bring him back as well. But...such wishes were never meant to be answered, and the years passed by quickly, leaving behind many ungranted hopes and dreams...