Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ A Piece of the Past ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Happy Birthday, Eiko!!" Came the shouts of the group who had gathered themselves around the Omoi kitchen table.

Finally a teenager...Eiko thought with relief. It seemed like such a big step changing from twelve to thirteen. Legally, by Gaea standards at any rate, she could be betrothed and married, though many didn't like to do that until a girl was fifteen. She felt so grown up inside, but looking around at the familiar faces of her juvenile friends, still made her feel quite young in spirit. Eiko had changed a lot since her youthful days...not only mentally, but physically. Her face became more narrow as the chubby cheeks of childhood tuned down. Her figure was becoming much more curvy and shaped, but the most noticeable change was the development of breasts-which Eiko caught the wandering eyes of her male companions' on more than a couple times. At the moment, she wore a plain, light blue dress-just one of her normal outfits, nothing too fancy. Her hair was braided back with a ribbon of a matching color to secure the ends. A few stray strands hung loosely over her forehead as she stared at the flickering candle flames. Thirteen of them all awaited to be blown out, and she hesitated, pressing her lips together in thought.

"Oh! C'mon, Eiko! Blow out your candles! I want some cake," Karyn declared, watching the girl's actions.

Briassa tapped his arm with her hand lightly, in almost a scolding manner, "Kar! This is Eiko's birthday...not yours. So, she decides when we get cake."

"That's right!" Eiko smiled up at the blonde, looking on as Briassa interlocked arms with him again.

It was obvious since the younger days that Briassa and Karyn would end up together. She was just the only girl he could stand to be around for longer than two seconds. Both had grown up quite a bit as well, matching Eiko's development of course. True, they weren't fully adults, but it was clearly evident that they were no longer children. It was almost cute to catch the couple stealing clumsy kisses and blushing about it afterward. Maybe, Eiko should have wished for their happiness.

But, no. It was Eiko's birthday after all! Which meant the opportunity to make her yearly wish. She drew in a breath, thinking the same thing she had for years. The hope captured in her lungs and was dispersed into the air as the rush of breath caused those thirteen candles to flicker. The fire grasped onto the wicks desperately, though their resistance was futile and they had to disappear with the rest. Eiko grinned as the unformal claps rose up, and she sat back once Fanis quickly plucked each candle from the frosting. With any luck, the girl would get her wish that year, and Van would return her love.

Oh, Eiko never did get over her feelings for the Fanelian Prince. Rather, they grew stronger and stronger with each passing day. She was so certain she was in love with Van by that point that nothing could change her mind. And she vowed to decline any offers from any of the boys she knew, because Eiko was only going to court Van Fanel. It may have been a strong infatuation, or possibly even a sick obsession, but her intentions were pure and she wasn't manipulating things to make Van fall in love with her. Eiko was simply waiting patiently for the wonderful day that she would be swept up by her 'Prince Charming.' She only wanted love and the fact that she was then capable of 'physical love' made her yearn for her prince all the more, as most girls her age longed for boyfriends. Something about being held, kissed, and loved for the first time was quite appealing to thirteen year old females.

"So, Eiko....what'd ya wish for?" The vibrant redhead leaned in closer for the juicy gossip.

"You know, Sori...that I can't tell you if I want it to come true," Eiko gleamed.

" 'least she made a wish...now we can eat!" Karyn pulled away from Briassa, making for a plate and fork.

Viole reached out, grabbing the boy's arm to prevent him from advancing, "Geeze, Bri...keep your boyfriend in line."

"Yeah...maybe she should get a leash and some treats for when he's being a good boy," Jarnuth chuckled.

Asantay smirked and mimicked, " 'All right, Kar...sit! Stay! Heel'! "

The three boys branched off into laughter and Karyn grumbled, "Yeah...yeah...that's real funny. Laugh it up you bunch of stupid fu--"

Briassa slapped her hand quickly over his mouth to prevent the curse word from ever leaving, "Kar...no!"

"Ha! See...she's already taking our advice," Jarnuth grinned.

Eiko smiled and shook her head, "I don't know why I still continue to invite you all over every year for my birthday."

Viole puckered up his lips and batted his eyes, "Because you love us...you love us all so much, Eiko...darling..."

"That must be the reason!" Eiko laughed, looking toward him slowly. "Otherwise, I don't think I'd be able to put up with you for this long."

"Ouch..." Viole melodramatically clutched his chest. "That really hurts...right here..."

"Bravo..." Sorien commented sarcastically. "Now cut the act, Viole."

Fanis returned to the room with a knife to slice through the cake, "Now, hon' what piece do you want?"

"Don't take too much, Eiko! You gotta save us some..." Karyn nodded.

Eiko shook her head, glancing up at him slowly, "Don't worry...I'm not like you, Kar...I can't eat that much. Um...that corner piece would be good..."

There was a nod from the mother as she cut the dessert, placing it on a plate and sliding it toward her daughter. Eiko took it and sliced the corner of her fork clean through the frosting covered spongy layer. That was scooped up and deposited into her mouth with an over exaggerated "Mmm" in Karyn's direction. He furrowed his brows and then snapped his attention toward Fanis's cutting. She brought out a rather large piece, setting it aside soon afterward. The woman mumbled something about saving it for Daynus while he was at work. She then distributed the rest evenly to the children. Karyn began to shovel huge bites into his mouth, and Briassa had to warn him to slow down. Viole sank on the chair beside Eiko as he flashed her a small smile, beginning to eat the snack himself.

One by one, each child finished and for the most part they were clean, save a few crumbs lined along their lips. Karyn busied himself by licking the icing off of his fingers. Briassa scrunched up her nose and grabbed those digits, cleaning them with her own napkin. Jarnuth and Asantay had to silence their snickers at the display. Sorien stood up from her chair in the corner and set her dirty plate in the pile, before she turned to Eiko with a smile.

"Why don't you open up your presents now?" She suggested.

"Yeah, Eiko! That'd kill some time..." Viole motioned to the size-stacked packages on the side table.

The young princess followed the point in that direction and then gave a slow nod, "Well...if you would be so kind so as--"

"I'll do it!" Jarnuth quickly volunteered, gathering the presents and struggling to bring them over to that table.

Eiko blinked, watching as the boxes were set down in front of her, "Th-Thank you, Jarn..."

"Open mine! Open mine!" Sorien childishly skipped over to the area and grabbed one of the packages, shoving it in Eiko's direction. "Open mine first!"

"Um...sure?"

Eiko took the ribbon off slowly and then peeled at the paper. Once that was torn away, she lifted the flap of the box. Digging into the tissue, she brought out a tiny bird statuette. The white dove was perched on a painted nest, leaning protectively over eggs of a light cyan. A smile touched the young girl's lips as she glanced over every detail and then lifted that gaze to Sorien.

"Thank you, Sori. It's really pretty..."

Sorien grinned, "I knew you would like it."

Fanis reached forward to grasp the figurine and look over it with interest. She passed it over to Briassa and at that time, Eiko took the next rectangular present. She skimmed over the tag and raised her eyes to Asantay. He lit up, watching intently as she opened it. When then girl did so, she found a rather thick book entitled The Ancient Draconians. Eiko quirked a brow, glancing up at Asantay again, though a smile was offered.

"Thank you, Asantay."

"Heh...I thought you'd like it. I imagine it's a very good read. Tell me what it's like when you're done..." He responded.

Eiko laughed some. Asantay always seemed to have a thirst for knowledge and it was probably his roundabout way of asking to borrow the book. Still, she nodded, "Of course, Asantay."

There were only three more packages and an envelope left on the table. Fanis and Daynus were saving their present for after the party. Eiko reached for Karyn's with a smirk. It would be interesting to see what he scrounged up for a gift. She pulled the paper free and blinked as she removed a porcelain something or other. The thing was tilted in a couple of different directions as she tried to make sense of it. The others, save Karyn, crowded around to perhaps figure it out. When none of that worked, Eiko sent a confused glance in the boy's direction. He raised his brows and then shrugged.

"I...um...thought you would like it?" Karyn stated uncertainly.

"What...is it, Kar?" Eiko questioned.

"Yeah...that's what I'd like to know..." Briassa added.

"Uh..."

"Ha! He doesn't even know!" Jarnuth pointed out.

"Hey! I do so!" Karyn was quick to defend.

"Heh...then uh...do enlighten us, Kar," Viole smirked.

"Well, it's...you see...it's...a...um, thing! That you...put on...um...something and look at," The boy winced at his lame explanation.

Eiko giggled, "Well...thank you anyway for this...thing. It's really the thought that counts."

"Yeah! Yeah...that's right, damnit!" Karyn sighed with relief.

"No matter how 'cheap' that thought happens to be," Jarnuth pointed out.

"Hey, Molin...shut up! You didn't even get her a present," Karyn motioned toward the envelope on the table.

A visible rosy tint came into Jarnuth's cheeks and he said nothing. Eiko watched that display and lowered her eyes to that envelope. Jarnuth's reaction had brought a strong curiosity as to what was contained within there. She decided to keep that for last. Viole's was the next opened and what she received out of it was a beautiful windcatcher. The hand held pinwheel was ornately decorated with glistening "petals" that caught the light and reflected it when they spun. Windcatchers were quite new to Gaea. Asantay had said the first one was made some time in the Year of the Crystal Northeast. Eiko just remembered the festival she had gone to with her friends a year ago and she saw some people carrying them around. She had commented about how beautiful they were to Viole and he offered to get one for her, but as it turned out, he spent the last of his money on the game with the bottles. It was a very thoughtful present, and Eiko brought her arms around the lad beside her, planting a light kiss on his cheek to show her appreciation.

"I love it! Thank you so much, Viole..."

Viole blinked with surprise and then he cleared his throat, "Erhem...it was nothing, Eiko...really."

Eiko drew back and studied the pinwheel, although her gaze happened to lift to Jarnuth. His eyes were downcasted and he appeared almost hurt. She frowned, wondering what had happened to make him look upset. Though, before she could question, Briassa had given her gift to her. Eiko looked down and took the rather small, wrapped square. She plucked and pulled at the ribbon encasing the paper. When it was all removed, a tiny velvet box remained. She pulled it open and gasped as she caught sight of the dainty set of golden hoops. She turned that attention to Briassa, who simply grinned back at her.

The two girls had seen many high-class women with their ears pierced and decided that they wanted to do that to themselves. Briassa said a few times how they could pierce each other's ears on Eiko's birthday when she stayed overnight, but Eiko never took her seriously. Apparently she had been, so there was one thing to look forward that evening atleast. The box was closed and set aside along with the rest of the opened presents, and Eiko returned that grin of Briassa's.

"Well...let's see what Jarn's big surprise is..." Karyn snickered.

Jarnuth's sighed, looking toward that last item with regret. No matter what he did...he could never get the same reaction that Viole's had received. Why had she saved his for last?! Eiko offered Jarnuth a reassuring smile as she reached for the envelope. The smile made him loosen up just a tad, but he was still nervous. Nervous because he figured he was about to get embarrassed and stir up suspicion amongst the group of friends. Eiko slowly peeled up the flap and pulled out the folded piece of paper. She lifted the end and straightened it out. Eyes landed on the written words stretched across.


Meet me by the rope bridge later...I'll give you your present there...


Eiko blinked and set that down slowly, nodding toward him. Though, she wondered what type of gift he had in store for her that he couldn't have given it to her there. Karyn snatched up the paper and scanned over it, before he burst into laughter. Everyone sent confused glances in his direction.

"I bet Jarnuth's planning to take ya into the field there and give ya something all right, Eiko," Karyn cracked.

Luckily, Fanis had left the room and didn't hear the lewd comment, but Briassa brought her hand firmly across his shoulder, "Kar!!"

"No way!" Viole rose defensively, glaring at Jarnuth in accusation.

"Um...I...no! I'm not!" Jarnuth stuttered nervously as what he had feared the most came true.

Eiko sighed, "Stop you guys. I trust Jarnuth...and I'm sure he has something wonderful planned."

Karyn began to laugh once more only to be silenced by the same methods Briassa had used before. Eiko shook her head softly as she rose to her feet. She began to gather the items and Viole swiftly moved in to aid her with such. She smiled faintly toward him, and then motioned in the direction of the hall.

"I'm just going to bring these into my room," Eiko informed the Arem twin and then looked over her shoulder toward the others. "I'll be back shortly..."

Eiko and Viole moved in the back. She became a little nervous as they neared the bedroom, trying to recall whether or not she had picked up all her undergarments that morning. The door was approached and she brought her hand around the knob, opening it just a crack. The preteen peeked into the area and let out a breath of relief. Since it was all clear, she let them both inside. Viole strided in behind her and looked about the room with interest.

Eiko set the bird statue and the other...ceramic thing on a shelf as she turned to Viole, "You can just put those on the chest over there in the corner."

He nodded in response and moved over, following the instructions. Those light blue eyes shifted to the side and caught on something. Eiko watched him in question. Viole bent forward and brought up the small red shirt with the light tan shorts. A grin crossed his lips as he looked toward her.

"This sure brings back memories, doesn't it?"

Eiko laughed softly and stepped over to collect the items, speaking absently, "I had completely forgotten that I had these still..."

"I know...but looking at them sure brings back familiar feelings. Seems like just yesterday--"

"...we were out there playing our game," Eiko finished his sentence for him, studying the fabric wistfully.

Viole nodded quietly and watched as she scrutinized the outfit, "I miss those days honestly...to have eternity ahead of us and never have to worry about anything but being around each other..."

And Van...looking forward to seeing Van each day, "Yes..."

Viole paused and averted his gaze to the stuffed animals that lined one shelf, "Eiko...in a couple of days, I'm going to try out for a military group for Zaibach-the Dragonslayers. If I make it, I'll have to leave this country permanently..."

"Huh?" Eiko glanced up at him quickly in disbelief.

"I think that Asantay, Karyn, and Jarn may be going as well...but I've been practicing with my sword and I think I stand a really good shot at making it in..."

"But...you can't...you can't..." The girl's eyes glistened with tears. "I don't want you to leave, Viole. Y-you're the only one I can really talk to. You know the most about me. You...you can't leave Fanelia forever!"

Viole sighed and then hugged her close to him, "Eiko...I didn't want to upset you on your birthday. I just thought you needed to know. I really want to go, but there's one thing more important to me than any of that..."

Eiko slowly drew back and gave him her entire attention.

His hand moved up to sweep away a couple of those tears as he looked down at her, "One thing...that I would trade that life I had dreamt of for...for so long...one thing...that would make me stay in Fanelia...forever..."

A breath caught in Eiko's throat as her gaze locked itself on his own. She loved Van...Van was the love of her life! But, she was so drawn by Viole's words...she almost...wanted him to kiss her. His speech was passionate and beautiful, and she just wanted him to stay more than anything. Her eyes lowered to his mouth, watching it part as some words were about to escape, but the door suddenly opened and it sent the two apart swiftly with guilt-ridden expressions set blatantly across their faces. Briassa moved in smoothly and paused as she looked to the two of them. Viole narrowed his eyes somewhat as his sister had ruined the moment, and Eiko just worked to rub the moisture away from her eyes.

"Um..." Briassa started up awkwardly. "Everyone's gonna head out for a bit because your mother wants to give you your present. I'm just going to get clothes for tomorrow. Um...if you want to go and get whatever Jarnuth's going to give you first, you can..."

"Erm...yeah...I'll get out of here too. Happy birthday, Eiko," Viole pocketed his hands and then slumped, leaving the room with Briassa.

Eiko looked after them for a moment and then she followed into the kitchen. Her hands clasped in front of her skirt as she paused before Jarnuth. He looked up at her slowly and flashed a brief smile. She returned it and then brought her hand to his arm as she guided him somewhat away from the others, just in hopes to spare him from ridicule from Karyn.

"I have to stay here to get something from my mother, but after that I'll meet you outside..." Eiko spoke softly.

Jarnuth dipped his head in a nod, "I'll be waiting for you then."

Eiko smiled some, "All right...then I'll see you in a little bit. Good-bye for now, Jarn..."

He gave her a slight wave and then headed out with the rest. Fanis trailed in, gathering the plates and swiping off the table with a damp cloth. Eiko regarded her friends as they each disappeared out the door. She then spun around to face her mother. The blonde woman finished what she was doing and she dropped the wash cloth in the dish bucket. Her hands were dried off on a towel and she then shifted toward her daughter, laying one hand gently upon her cheek.

"Eiko...you've grown up so quickly. It's hard to believe that you're almost a lady. You were only a little girl--" Fanis began.

Eiko sighed and lowered her gaze, "Mother...I've already heard something similar to this just a few miets ago...please tell me you don't have bad news too..."

The woman dropped her hand against her side and raised her brows, "Bad news? Of course I don't...but what is it that has you upset?"

"I don't really want to talk about it..."

A slightly amused smile came into Fanis's lips, "Typical teenager, never wanting to share anything with her mother anymore. Well, I won't keep you long. I'm just going to give you your present. It's from both your...parents..."

Eiko watched as her mother dug into one of the drawers in the kitchen and removed a velvet box-a clear indication that it was some sort of jewelry. She looked to Fanis briefly, who handed it to her and urged her to open it. The raven-haired teen pressed her lips together and did just that-bringing the lid up to reveal a delicate chain bearing a beautiful, golden locket. She slowly removed that necklace from its resting place and she fumbled with the locket's opening, pulling each end apart. The inside itself was empty, but a tiny music box struck up a familiar tune. Ebon brows slid together as she listened to it in silence for a moment. Where have I heard this song before?

"I hope you like it, Eiko...it's yours..." Fanis forced an emotional smile.

The youthful princess raised her attention to the blonde, "I love it, mother...would you put it on for me? I'll wear it always...it's just so beautiful..."

Fanis collected the necklace and turned Eiko around, sweeping the black strands over her shoulder. Separating the chain, she brought the locket in front of her daughter and clasped it around the back of her neck. Fanis's eyes glazed over as she realized how much of Celia had blossomed within Eiko.

"To hear those words, Eiko...well...that makes your mother very proud."