Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Confessions of Love ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The air was nippy and cut through even the thickest layers of clothing. Fluffy clouds billowed across the sky, ready to drop the crystal flakes of snow at any moment. Eiko sometimes wished she had a birthday in Orange or Red, rather than Silver. The colder seasons were nice at times, though outdoor activity was limited and there was nothing she enjoyed more than browsing the market place for things she could never afford anyway. Well, she may have liked fantasizing about Prince Van far more. She could have cursed herself for never speaking to him when she had ample opportunity. Just to have heard those words from his lips or shared the eye contact that came with conversation. But, what was her problem earlier with Viole? She never got tempted like that...though she was never put in such a situation before. Viole was her true best friend. Briassa was a good companion and the best female one, but overall she just felt like she could talk to the male Arem twin more than anyone. Her emotions were just confused...that was all. Because...she loved Viole-as a friend of course.

So, Eiko continued on her way to that rope bridge. A chilly breeze struck up and caused a shiver to run down her spine. The cloak swished with each step and her teeth chattered continuously. She really hoped Jarnuth's present wouldn't take that long to receive so that she could get back in the warmth of her home. That thought brought wonder to her. What could that gift have been? Surely it wasn't anything perverse like Karyn seemed to think. As a matter of fact...Karyn always seemed to be thinking about that. But, Jarnuth was better. He would never push and Eiko really didn't see why he would even think about it. People had told her she was an attractive "young lady" and would make one beautiful woman, but she just didn't see it. Her body didn't feel like it was even hers half the time. Strange things were happening that just made her feel disgusting or afraid. She was far more self-conscious than when she was younger and sometimes she just wanted to shut off those thoughts completely.

The woods were neared and Eiko slipped into them quietly. She paused in her tracks and just looked over the area in silent reverie. She had really met the children there for the first time...as far as getting to know the most about them. Since the accident there that Prince Folken had saved her from, the town worked to put up a bridge from one side to the next. Prince Folken...Eiko wondered what had happened to him that day. Though, she quickly snapped out of her thoughts and lifted her eyes to the awaiting Jarnuth. She drew in a deep breath and moved her gaze to the river below. The majority of it had frozen over and the water continued to run beneath the thin layer of ice. After noting that, Eiko continued forward and held back in her steps just to slow the actual process of getting there. She was almost nervous about this, and she didn't quite know why. It was more of those strange, unexplainable feelings obviously. She closed her eyes and forced any thoughts away and when she could no longer stall, she came to a halt before the boy. Jarnuth offered her a lopsided smile and he took her hand in his own. Eiko blinked downward, but then quickly brought her attention back to him.

"Jarn...?" She questioned.

"Eiko...I've got something to show you. We have to go in the field...it's in there."

The preteen gasped as she looked at him in disbelief. Could Karyn have been right? Could Jarnuth be trying to...no! He wouldn't! And...if he did, she would just scream really loud. Eiko gave him a soft nod and then let him guide her. Hand-in-hand, they stepped onto the bridge which creaked and swayed beneath the weight. She forced her eyes closed and swallowed back her fear. She always got a bit edgy when crossing to the other side. Though, she wasn't afraid of heights. It wasn't like her overwhelming claustrophobia-which no one ever offered an explanation as to why she had that. Maybe, it was just better if she never found out.

Board by board, the two made it to the bank safely. Jarnuth looked back at her with a smile and then he used his forearm to push aside the branches which shielded access to the field. Eiko moved in first and looked around with a blink. Everything seemed to barren and desolate. It was strange seeing the area in the cold. Frost glistened over branches and blades of grass, but then Eiko's attention caught on a bush that had an old blanket wrapped securely around it. Brows furrowed in confusion, and then her gaze followed Jarnuth as he slipped over, peeking beneath the fabric of that wrapped plant. A grin crossed his lips and he motioned her over. She blinked and moved up closer, winding up directly beside him. The boy bit on the inside of his cheek as he contemplated whether or not to unveil her gift. After deciding, he stepped aside and reached for the end of the cloth, handing it over to her. Eiko took it slowly and looked up at him in question.

"This is your present," Jarnuth informed. "Go on...open it..."

Eiko raised a brow and then carefully unraveled the covered bush. Thorned branches made it a tad difficult at first, but once she got it completely uncovered she didn't quite realize what her gift was. There was just several prickered branchlets, entangling themselves together and hiding the true present. But, once her eyes moved downward, they caught on the delicate, vermilion petals of the rose. A breath caught in her throat as she kneeled down to touch it. Jarnuth followed her movements, dropping to one knee and bringing his hand forward to catch hers. She blinked up at him and he simply shook his head, moving her hand back. The lad released it completely, and then reached in his pocket, withdrawing a small knife. It's blade was pressed against that stem and sliced completely through it. The rose fell into his palm and Jarnuth stood slowly, carving each thorn from it before he gave it over to her. Eiko wrapped her fingers around the flower with a smile as she lifted it to her nose, drawing in the lovely scent.

"How?" Eiko lowered the rose. "How did you do this?"

"I...wanted to give you the last rose of the year, but...I decided it would be more special to try and keep it alive until your birthday. I came here everyday and took care of it the best I could until today..." Jarnuth appeared proud for a moment, but then he dropped his gaze. "But...I guess it's no windcatcher..."

"Oh, Jarnuth!" Eiko hugged him instantly. "This really was very sweet of you. You didn't have to go through all that trouble."

He blinked as those arms moved around him and he slowly brought his own behind her body, subconsciously pulling her closer to himself, "But I wanted to, Eiko. I would do anything for you. I...really care about you."

Eiko sighed and closed her eyes for a moment during that embrace, "Then how come you didn't tell me?! How come you...and Viole...and everyone are all trying out for the dragonslayers? How could you all keep that from me...?"

"I...well..." Jarnuth released a breath. "I didn't want to tell you because I thought you would make fun of me..."

"Make fun of you?"

"Yeah...because I'm sure I'm not gonna get in. It's really ridiculous to think I could actually make it. I'm really only going as moral support for the others. Viole...he'd probably make it. And I just want to be there for him when he does."

"...I don't want Viole to leave here though."

"How come?"

"I just...I'm not so sure if I could live my life the same if he was gone."

"Are you...um...are you and Viole...in love?"

"What??" Eiko quickly pushed away from him with surprise. How could he have asked such a question?

"Well...it just seems like you both are always around each other. And then there are sometimes when you act like you are, like earlier today...and what you just said now--"

"No, Jarnuth! That's absurd! I...I don't love Viole," Eiko sighed and looked toward the rose. There was only one person who held her heart.

"Oh..." Jarnuth spoke with what seemed like relief.

"I really like this," She quickly changed the subject.

"Like...what?"

"Oh...the rose. It's very pretty and very thoughtful..."

"Well, you know. Like you said earlier...it's the thought that counts right? I...just wanted to make sure I did something very thoughtful, because I really care about--"

"Are you in love with me Jarnuth?"

The boy turned a visible shade of red as she asked that. Eiko pinched her lips together since she hadn't meant to embarrass him, which was what she had done. And it wasn't the typical embarrassment that the thirteen year olds were used to-the kind that was easy to recover from. Growing up together, one couldn't help but noticed the visible red stains on light-colored skirts at times or apparent bulges in boy's trousers at others. That was something they had grown accustomed to and even laughed it off half the time. What Eiko had just asked Jarnuth, however, could not be laughed away. It was a serious thing, and she awaited the answer...equally as nervous to find out.

Jarnuth visibly fidgeted, only to sigh with defeat, "Yes, Eiko. I...am in love with you. I've loved you my...whole life. Ever since we were little and we kissed in that alley. I know I was supposed to forget about that, but I never could. And I've tried to forget about you, but I couldn't do that either. I know you don't love me. I just...I never wanted you to know so that I could hold onto my dreams that...maybe someday...you and..."

"No!" Eiko shook her head quickly. "Jarnuth, you can't love me. I-I'm no good for you. There are plenty of girls who--"

"None of them are you. You really are special to me and I lo--"

"Please, Jarnuth...don't say it...please," Eiko looked away from him. She didn't know exactly why she was so distraught. Perhaps it was because she knew how many emotions went into love and she didn't want Jarnuth to go through the pain of not having that love returned. She made a promise to herself...one to always be true to her feelings. It wasn't as though she could pretend to love the boy when (whether he knew or not) her heart belonged to Van.

"I'm sorry, Eiko...I really am. Should I have lied? Would you have liked that better...?" Jarnuth questioned.

"Yes...I mean...no. I mean...I don't know," She snapped her attention toward him. "I just...I just think that this is all too much to deal with in one day."

Eiko began to dash by him and Jarnuth whipped around, "Eiko...wait!"

She paused briefly and called over her shoulder, "Good-bye, Jarnuth. Thank you for the present..."

And Eiko hurried away from the scene.


* * *


"I'm just such a horrible person. I mean, I didn't even give him a chance to explain. Jarnuth loves me. He really loves me...and I couldn't even see it before today. Am I really that blind--ow!"

"Sorry..." Briassa brought the brush back from a tangle in the dark strands, beginning to work it out in a more gentle manner. "Well...the way I see it is that love is a tricky thing. It sneaks up on you and you're completely oblivious to it. Just look at me and Kar..."

Eiko sighed, "But that's different. You both feel the same way about each other. I'm not ever sure how I feel about Jarnuth. I do really like him, but--"

"Not as much as you like Viole?"

"No! I was going to say 'only as a friend', but come on! Not you too on the whole Viole thing..."

"Well..." Briassa moved the brush to another section of hair. "I think he really cares about you. And it looks like you care about him a whole lot more than you're letting on."

"But...I don't! Viole and I are only friends..."

"If you say so..."

"I mean it, Briassa! There's only one person for me anyway..."

"Oh? Asantay?"

"No..."

"Then...who?"

"I..." Eiko frowned and dropped her gaze to her lap. "I can't tell you that..."

"Oh, c'mon, Eiko! We've been friends forever and I told you that I liked Kar before we got together. Plus...I'm not like Sori. I won't tell anyone."

"I...don't know. Maybe...but not right now. Why don't we do the ear piercing first?"

"Aw...come on, Eiko...please?"

The young princess frowned as she raised her attention toward Briassa. Was she really ready to give away the secret she had locked away within-for almost as long as she could remember? She was just so used to being the only one to know the truth that it would be strange to have someone else know it too. Although, she was certain that Briassa would never make fun of her for such things. Was there really any point in hiding it? Eiko sighed and lay back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Briassa placed the brush on her lap as she waited to see if her friend would give a response to her.

"Fine..." Eiko looked up at the blonde.

Briassa's face lit up with delight as she leaned in closer to hear just who it was, "Well...?"

"Well...this is probably going to sound really strange, and...really impossible, but the person I've dreamed about all my life...I haven't even really met. I've never even talked to him...not one word. Oh...but I know I love him. He's been in my heart ever since childhood and its just one of those things you know with your entire being..." Eiko smiled as she allowed her thoughts to dwell on her prince.

"Wow...sounds like you really care about this guy. So...don't leave me in the dark any longer. Who is it that you have this much affection for?" Briassa asked curiously.

Eiko looked toward her and grinned brightly as she finally allowed the name to come off of her heart, "Van...Van Fanel."