Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ New Leadership ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Night slowly melted into day and life began to spark up from it's momentary pause. The bedroom in the Omoi home was quite chilled over from the morning air, and Eiko had bundled herself up in the messy jumble of bed sheets. Sleep hadn't come easy for her the night before and disturbed thoughts of Van's dragon slaying haunted her dreams once she did finally doze off. The insomnia that plagued her at night had also forced her to become paranoid. She checked countless times to make sure the door was wide open and she wasn't closed in. It felt childish of her to be so utterly frightened by something so trivial, but no matter how much she tried to forget about that phobia, it never worked. Whatever had left her claustrophobic must have been major and so far deep-routed that the fear would never disappear.

Lids cracked open swiftly as the nightmare came to close, but then they dropped heavily. There was nothing she wanted more than to catch up on the rest deprivation of the previous night, but she knew she had to get up. A loud yawn sounded and she rubbed at her eyes slowly propping herself upright. Eiko tiredly leaned her head against the bed post. She felt extremely groggy and maybe some extra rest would do her some good. Though, whether she liked it or not, her body drifted away from the world and it no longer felt weary or fatigued. Her features relaxed and her lips parted slightly as breathing became rhythmic and slow.



Eiko's eyes reopened and she blinked, finding herself not in that bed, but beside the river's bank. She slowly sat up and glanced around in confusion. Though it faded into remembrance and her gaze wandered to the large tree. She had been having this dream for a while...well...the scenery was the same. However, the contents of it were not. She pushed herself up to her feet and swept away any remnants of dust that clung to her skirt. Van was there, she knew he was...she didn't even need to look to know. His presence could just be felt.

"Van...?"

"Hm?" The Fanelian Prince, sure enough, moved out from his hiding place.

"How come we're here again?" Eiko asked curiously.

"You should ask yourself that...you're the one who brought us here."

The princess pursed her lips and glanced around quietly, "Can you stay here longer this time?"

Van chuckled and raised his eyes toward her, "As long as they don't need you out there. But there are others who want to talk to you here..."

"Oh? Who?"

The coal-haired prince motioned to the side with a simple movement of his head. Eiko followed that direction with her gaze. Her eyes suddenly lit up with happiness as she spotted the blue-uniformed Viole. The mousy brown strands were quite lengthy and secured in a ponytail away from his face. The crystalline spheres raised to meet her own and a small smile crossed his lips. It never ceased to amaze her how much not alike Viole and Briassa were for being twins. Their features were rather similar, but many things aside from hair-color were different.

Eiko grinned and sprung forward, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, "Viole! I missed you! What are you doing here?"

"Eiko..." Viole sighed, not bothering to return the hug. "I've come to warn you..."

"Warn me?"

"Yeah...it's just...you should get away from here. Something bad is going to--"

A rather deep, yet strangely familiar voice sounded behind them, "Viole...I believe you've said enough."

With those emotionless words, an eerie looking metal claw clamped down on the fifteen year old Arem twin's shoulder and began to lead him back. Eiko frowned and reached forward to try and stop him from being guided away, but it was no use. Viole was dragged into the darkness by who...or what that thing was. Van moved over beside Eiko and rested a worn glove on her arm. The raven-haired teen drew in a breath and then looked up at him.

"Don't worry. He'll be okay...he's in good hands..." Van nodded, glancing up absently.

"You know who that was?"

"I will..."

Eiko blinked, "How come you don't make any sense in my dreams...?"

Van shrugged with a smirk as he brought the other hand up to her opposite arm, spinning her around to face him, "I suppose sometimes that makes dreams better...you have to search more for the meaning behind them."

Her lips pursed some and then set together as she didn't know exactly how to respond to that. Eiko found her eyes locked on his mouth and they widened as it began to move closer. Those darkened spheres raised to catch on the reddish-browns that after time disappeared behind a lid covering. Oh, Van had made a guest appearance in her dreams several times, but he had never kissed her. Her heart began to flutter and her hand slid along his arm, resting atop his shoulder. How defined that felt; she practically melted after that first touch. His breath brushed her lips and she closed her eyes, attempting to fill the mold and join together for the kiss.

Faces inched closer together; so close it felt as though they should be kissing. Wait a second...they should have been! Eiko opened her eyes, only to be surrounded in that vast shadow once again. Slender brows pressed together since Van was no where in sight. She darted her eyes around in search only to spot a feather as it fluttered downward. A brilliant glint of light flashed in the distance and Eiko tilted her head, shifting forward a tad.

"Eiko..." A soft-spoken feminine voice began. "This won't be the end for us. It's only the beginning. I think that it will be interesting to see what fate has in store for us, don't you? Hn...catch..."

Before Eiko could react, whatever had been shining was flung her way. She raised her hands swiftly and allowed the item to catch within her grasp. Obsidian prisms lowered and roamed over the familiar locket. Her mouth became a thin line as one name came into her mind. Sorien. Another feather drifted into her vision and she looked skyward. The draconian prince descended toward her with one hand extended. Eiko smiled and slipped her own smoothly into his. She felt her whole body lifted up into his arms. Could she finally get her kiss?

"I had better bring you back...your mother needs you to wake up..." Van spoke and then he carried her toward a brilliant light...in which Eiko had no choice but to follow along.



"Finally! You're awake, Eiko...I wasn't so sure you would ever wake up..." Fanis sighed.

Groggily, Eiko tilted her head in her mother's direction. She winced at the stiffness in her neck and realized it was due to the position she was in. A hand moved back to rub away the soreness, evoking a groan as she swiped away the sleepiness from her eyes. She still hadn't received the desired amount of rest, but she at least felt somewhat better than before. Fanis watched the teenager silently only to raise her hand and press it against Eiko's forehead.

"M-mother..." The princess pushed the palm away, hoarsely stating. "I'm not ill..."

"Well then...how come you didn't wake up right away? You're normally so early to rise..." Fanis dropped her hands to her lap.

"I just didn't get a good night's sleep..."

"Oh? Is there any reason behind that?"

"N-no...I was just sort of worried about Prince Van..." Sort of? "And I had a lot on my mind."

"Hm...well if that's all, breakfast is waiting for you on the table. I can't guarantee it will be warm still, but if you hurry you might be able to catch your father before he goes to work."

Eiko nodded softly and slid out of the covers. Fanis watched on as her daughter pulled on her robe, tying it in front. The teenager raked her fingers through the ebony locks, making certain they weren't a complete mess. The blonde offered the girl a smile and Eiko returned it before she slipped out into the hall. Daynus was in sight, standing in front of the mirror in the living room and fixing up those dark strands. He paused and then glanced up in her direction. A smile etched his lips as Eiko made her way closer.

"Well...good morning to you. Or should I say...afternoon?" Daynus remarked smugly.

"It isn't that late..." Eiko laughed somewhat.

"But it could very well have been had you slept any later..."

Eiko shook her head and then hugged Daynus briefly, "Have a good day at work."

"Oh yes...it will be loads of fun and joy...which I know you are quite envious about missing."

The teenager withdrew, moving over to the table. She plopped down on the chair and started her luke warm breakfast before responding, "I'm sure it will. Good-bye, father."

Daynus smiled at the retort, "And good-bye, my little princess. May your breakfast be absolutely splendid."

Eiko laughed quietly and turned her form so that she could watch him go. They both gave final waves and then did their own separate thing. The daughter went back to her meal, picking at the eggs with a soft sigh. One thing was for certain; if she had gotten up earlier, her breakfast would have been much better. She stuffed her mouth quickly and then finished off the large bite, pushing aside the half-emptied plate. She wasn't so sure she could have taken anymore if she tried. The seat was shifted back slightly and Eiko rose to her feet, moving into the back soon afterward.

Fanis had returned to her room, assuming her daughter would be back to her own to change. The blonde sank onto her bed, allowing a sigh to unveil past those thin lips. A slender hand moved aside, grasping a hold of a leather-bound book. The cover was lifted and the woman glanced over the first page with a small smile. It was the records of Eiko's birth and various other papers from Omora. They were all woven together to create a scrapbook for the girl's sixteenth birthday. A nice piece of the past as well as a truthful revelation. Her 'daughter' would learn of her real parents and of a life that should have been. A slight creek of the floorboards stirred up a gasp. Topaz spheres shot upward to catch on Eiko's form in the doorway and Fanis quickly slammed the cover over the pages, stuffing that beneath a pillow...after all...out of sight, out of mind.

"Eiko, what are you doing here...?"

"Well...I wanted to tell you that I'm going out to see my friends. What was that book you had?" Apparently Fanis's theory didn't prove to be true.

"Uh...it's just...something for you. A surprise that I don't want you to see now," She couldn't lie to her daughter. "Well, I hope you have a good time outside and just don't forget to come home for supper..."

Eiko sighed and nodded, "I know, mother. You don't have to keep reminding me."

"Old habits die hard, I suppose..." Fanis laughed softly.

A slight smile crossed the girl's lips and she stepped in, moving her arms around her mother, "I love you...I just hope you don't get too lonely in here."

"Oh, Eiko...I love you too. And don't worry about me...I'll be fine. After all...what is cleaning for but to alleviate boredom?"

The daughter laughed and then rushed off with a wave, "Good-bye, mother!"

"Good-bye, my Eiko..."



It was going to be one of the cooler days in Orange. Eiko could tell just by the breeze that flowed through the late morning streets. She stepped off the stairs and allowed the air to rush through the midnight locks, separating single strands and scattering them from the perfected style. The folds of that light magenta skirt clung desperately to her legs from the windflow. The youth sighed and started off into the town. She had a couple of spare coins pocketed, so maybe buying a few items in the marketplace would kill some time...and anxiety.

What if...Van never returned? How would the people of Fanelia deal? How would she deal? Eiko frowned and glanced around, perhaps to catch sight of the Fanelian Prince. Though, he was no where in sight. Her shoulders slumped and she continued on her way, stopping in front of one of the stands. The merchant extended a 'hello' and allowed the girl to browse silently. She reached forward, grasping a hold of a glass vase. It would make a nice present for Fanis on her birthday. Though, the sound of creaking country gates opening caught her attention. Several people dashed by with grins, waving others to follow.

"C'mon! Hurry up! Prince Van's back!" Shouted one boy.

"Yeah! All right!" Another exclaimed excitedly.

Eiko blinked as it took a few moments to settle in. A wide grin crossed her lips and she shoved the vase into the awaiting merchant's hands, "Van's back!"

Eiko rushed alongside the group of citizens and stopped within the jumble. Quite a few people blocked out her view which she strained to glance between some and over others. A frown spread across her lips, but then her brows furrowed. If people were going to be rude, well then, she would do so right back! The princess shoved her way through the crowd, getting many disgruntled and exasperated comments as she did so. Though, the girl didn't care one bit...she needed to see Van more than any of the others.

Massive hooves pounded against the dirt revealing that the Prince's transportation was in the form of a mammoth bison. Eiko raised her eyes to the top of the beast where they first landed on Van himself. He lay back casually, an elbow propped on the animal's back which allowed a gloved palm to serve as a head rest. The other well-sculpted arm dangled over the opposite knee as the prince stared ahead with mild interest. Overwhelming joy seeped into the teenage princess's veins once she saw that Van was safe. There didn't even seem to be any wounds on him, though she wished she could have gotten a better look. But, Van wasn't alone. There were two others with him. A wolfman was controlling the bison's path. She squinted somewhat, but then lit up with recognition. It was none other than Ruhm...the pack leader of the wolf people that lived on the outskirts of Fanelia. Well, at least Van had found some good help, but who was the short-haired other?

Eiko tried to get a better look, but could only make out certain details. This person's clothing was strange and so were those light brown locks. Though, the next minor detail the raven-haired princess noticed caused a gasp to be drawn in. It was a girl! A girl was riding beside Van! Eiko furrowed her brows jealously and then 'hmphed.' That other girl was hardly dressed in anything ladylike, so Van couldn't possibly be interested in her. But, eventually worry boiled deep inside the Omoran Princess as she shot a final glance toward the strange girl. He couldn't! ...could he?

The beast came to a halt and several cheers rose up from the group. Van simply moved forward, vaulting over the side of the animal. His arms were outstretched, but lowered once he landed in that perfect crouch. Something of a reddish-pink hue glittered within his hand, though Eiko couldn't tell what it was. The young Fanel eased his way to his feet and offered a faint smile to the group that had assembled for him.

"Lord Van...?"

Eiko winced as the cat-girl behind the voice shoved past her.

Van snapped his attention toward her with a blink, followed by a smile, "Merle!"

"Lord Van!" The pink-haired feline launched herself at the prince, throwing her arms around him. Afterward, she began an onslaught of licks to his cheek. "I'm so glad you made it back okay! You know...I was so worried about you, Lord Van!"

The coal-haired youth raised his limbs to hold her, though once the licks came, he grimaced and snapped his head away, speaking with a hint of embarrassment, "Hey...come on, stop that! Everyone's watching..."

"I'm just so happy to see you!" Merle giggled and then went right back to what she had been instructed to stop.

"Cut that out, will ya?" Van seemed somewhat amused by tone.

Eiko sighed, lowering her gaze to the dirt. She didn't enjoy standing around, watching the display of affection between the two. Merle was one lucky cat-girl all right. To be able to get to hold Van like that. It would be absolute bliss for Eiko. Though, those thoughts didn't get to progress any farther once the deep voices stated, "Lord Van." She shifted her attention to the four massive swordsmen who came out to greet him. Merle snapped her gaze to them and quickly retreated from the Prince, bowing her head in respect. Van looked after her momentarily and returned to regarding the men.

"Welcome back..." Balgus seemed quite proud with the Fanelian Prince.

Van's lips set together and he nodded once, only to lift the hand which clutched the shiny object. Though, once he did that, it was evident just what that item was. A gleam ran over the ruby surface as he spoke, "I, Van Fanel, have completed the task of dragon slaying and have returned with this drag-energist."

The large men reacted in surprise. One stated, "That's the real thing all right."

And another spoke in awe, "A drag-energist..."

Balgus lowered himself to his knees, followed by the other three. They bowed forward somewhat, after which Balgus spoke, "We four Brigadier Generals of the Samurai of Fanelia verify this to be true, Prince Van."

Van smiled in response, "I'm honored, thank you."

With the help of Ruhm, the strange girl climbed off of the animal. Eiko took the opportunity to study her. She was showing far too much leg from those...very short shorts. Even if Merle did the same, she atleast wore a dress. The foreigner appeared almost boyish. Oh, it was Eiko's only hope that nothing was going on between them. She was supposed to be Van's first love. It had been what she dreamt of for her entire life. It wasn't fair for anyone to come and steal her dreams! Eiko's brows knit together; she suddenly felt rather ill.

The warmth of a hand came to her shoulder and Eiko was grateful for the support-for she may have fainted from those previous thoughts. The teenager twisted her form, catching sight of Jarnuth's familiar smile. She offered one of her own, raising a hand to rest against her forehead. Her gaze then followed Van, Merle, and the stranger as they walked off in the direction of the castle. A small sigh escaped her lips as she leaned back against the boy somewhat.

"What are you doing here, Jarn...?"

"I've got a break...glad I found you, though."

"Oh...? Why's that?"

"Well, there's something I want to ask you...but first...are you okay? You seem a bit...distant."

Eiko pursed her lips, glancing in the area the Prince had disappeared to. Her eyes closed briefly and she heard various voices grow farther away as everyone began to scatter. Lids lifted once again, allowing spheres of sepia to land on him as she shook her head in response to his question, "I'm just a bit dizzy and tired. I had a rough night and didn't really get enough sleep. But that's all...nothing to worry about really, Jarn. So...what did you want to ask me?"

Jarnuth drew in a breath and allowed his eyes to rest on the mystic moon as he spoke, "Well...since Prince Van has returned, you know there's going to be quite a few festivals tonight. I was...um...wondering if you could maybe be my...er...be my..."

"...date?"

"Yeah! My...er...date! Um...it doesn't have to be a romantic date. It can be just a friendly one, you know. And I know it was stupid of me to ask you because I completely understand if you wouldn't want to go with me. I figured you would say no, I just thought I'd..."

"Jarn..."

"Yeah?"

"Shut up..." Eiko smiled playfully, and then moved back from him. Hands were clasped in front of herself. "I would be honored to go on a friendly date with you..."