Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ The Coronation ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Eiko sat with her legs tucked beneath herself atop her bed, pretty much allowing the others girls to do whatever they wanted with her hair. She flinched at slight tugs and pulls, staring ahead while Sorien and Briassa discussed what dress they should put her in. The princess didn't see what the big deal was. So, she had agreed to go on this "friendly date" with Jarnuth. I didn't mean anything. It was just for fun, after all, she needed to have some fun after the start of this day.

Rumors spread quickly through the kingdom and through them, Eiko learned that the strange girl's name was Hitomi...Hitomi Kanzaki. And some people even said that she came from the Mystic Moon. That would certainly explain her attire, but it didn't seem possible. How could anyone from that accursed place get to Gaea? How could anyone from there steal the heart of her Prince Van? Eiko loved him her entire life and she didn't want that love to be in vain. But, if it came down to it, she would be able to let him go. Van's happiness was the most important thing in the world.

"Eiko...is something wrong?" Briassa paused and leaned over the girl's shoulder, tipping her head in question.

Sorien slipped over, hopping beside Eiko and throwing her arms around her with a giggle, "Yeah c'mon, Eiko! You're going on your very first date! And it'll be lots of fun...plus you and Jarn might hit it off and become lovers..."

Eiko shook her head, "It's not like that! Jarn and I are just friends."

Briassa moved away, going back to the hairstyling, "But, you don't know if that'll be the case after this date..."

"Of course I know, Briassa. I know that I'm not going to fall in love with someone who I really only have feelings for on a friendship level..."

"Come on, Eiko! Look at what happened with me and Asantay. And then there's Bri and Kar...oh! And let's not forget--"

"I know, Sori. But, it's different with Jarn and me..." Eiko swiftly cut Sorien off.

"And how is it different, huh?"

"Because I don't love Jarnuth!" The raven-haired princess sighed with exasperation, leaning forward quickly only to feel a tug in her hair where the brush had been. "Ow!"

"Sorry..." Briassa offered sheepishly, removing the 'teeth' from those strands.

Sorien sighed, pushing herself up to her feet. She grasped the dark purple dress she had fished out, and then tossed that in Eiko's direction. The cloth draped over the jet strands, and the teenager closed her eyes in aggravation as she lifted fingers to pry the outfit off. Briassa sighed when she noticed the hair all out of place. She immediately tried to fix Eiko up again, while the teenage princess eyed that fabric with a sigh. Sorien whipped around, reaching a hand up to deposit copper curls behind her ear.

"Oh! Maybe we can pick some lavender...and put it in her hair...wouldn't that look lovely, Bri?"

Briassa thought for a moment, and then nodded with a grin, "I think it would..."

Eiko groaned as the two went off again, just lowering her head to her knees. The coronation ceremony would begin in a few hours, and she only hoped that those two girls would be finished playing 'dress-up' with her so that she could see Van's crowning.


* * *


The entire land seemed to be basked in an orange-tinted hue. Gaea's light source was slowly fading into the western mountains just to allow night fall, but the rays were not giving up so easily. They seemed to want to stay out later than usual and they were permitted just that. A crowd of citizens swarmed their way into the square, busying themselves with chatter and laughs. Eiko, however, was being pulled into this group against her will. Briassa seizing one wrist and Sorien grasped the other. She had to admit that the girls had done a good job with her outfit, but it was far too fancy for a "friendly date." The teenager began to dread what Jarnuth was going to say once he saw her in that purple number. Those three armored boys fell into her line of view, and she instantly began to put up even more resistance

"Come on, Eiko!" Sorien gave the princess a fierce tug.

At that point, they were very close to the males and the redhead's pull forced Eiko to stagger forward and ram into Jarnuth's back. One of the small flowers that had been woven into her hair drifted to the ground, and Briassa dashed forward to scoop it up. She swiftly tucked it back under the raven strands where it belonged just as the soldier turned around. Hazels widened in awe at the sight before him, and Eiko could only offer a sheepish smile. Karyn and Asantay perked up at Jarnuth's sudden lack of interest in what they were saying, turning around themselves to see her. Karyn's jaw dropped and then he let out a low whistle.

"Lookin' mighty--" Karyn was swatted by Briassa before he even got a chance to finish that thought.

"Gee, Eiko. You look great," Asantay complimented.

"Thank you..." Eiko smiled toward them both.

"I had a lot to do with the way she looks now," Sorien snatched up Asantay's arm with a hint of jealousy. Her attention shifted to Jarnuth at that point. "Well, Jarn...how do you think she looks?"

"Wow, Eiko...you look...wow..." Jarnuth was apparently dumbstruck.

Eiko offered the same grin and then looked off shyly, "T-thanks..."

"Aw...would you look at them? Aren't they so cute...?" Sorien nudged Briassa, who grinned and nodded.

Jarnuth visibly blushed, sending a pleading glance Asantay's way for any possible help he could offer. He only received a shrug in response and then just sighed, looking back to Eiko. She clasped and unclasped her hands uncomfortably. All the eyes on her were beginning to make her feel self-conscious. This was only supposed to be a friendly date...so, why was everyone blowing it out of proportion? She couldn't expect them to understand her deep-routed feelings for Van, nor could she use that to justify the reasons why she wouldn't start anything romantic with Jarnuth. Eiko really began to feel like the black sheep of the flock, and sensing this, her date rushed to her rescue.

"We should probably head off...Kar and I that is. We've got guard duty at the tower. Just during the coronation, though. We'll be back in time for the fun afterward..." Jarnuth nodded, sparing a glance toward Karyn.

"You better! You don't want to keep your date waiting around all night, now do ya, Jarn?" Sorien teased.

"Heh...I'm sure he doesn't, Sori....but Jarn is right. Me an' him oughta head back..." Karyn placed a peck on Briassa's cheek.

"We'll be waiting for ya, won't we, Eiko?" Briassa leaned into the kiss and winked toward her friend.

"Oh...um...yeah," Eiko blinked.

Jarnuth looked to his 'friendly date' and offered a smile, only to pull her closer for a hug, "I'm really looking forward to spending time with you tonight."

Eiko quirked a brow at the sudden embrace, but nodded in return, moving her own arms around him. Jarnuth stepped back smoothly, finding his shoulder grasped by Karyn. Both waved to everyone and disappeared in the crowd. The four that were left looked after them in silence. Sorien suddenly turned around and sent a grin in Eiko's direction...one that probably meant "good job" or something along those lines. The fiance-less Briassa moved beside the raven-haired teen with a sigh.

"Just you and me, Eiko...until the ceremony's done, I suppose..." The blonde flashed her a smile.

"And just you wait until Jarn gets back! I'm telling you we have a romance in the making!" Sorien exclaimed.

"Will you cut it out!" Eiko slouched, shaking her head.

"Yeah...um...we should find a place to watch from..." Asantay appeared every bit as uncomfortable with this 'girl-talk' as Eiko was herself.

"You're right, 'Sant...let's go everyone..." Sorien practically dragged her boyfriend through the crowd.

"One thing's for sure, Eiko...I'm certain you're at least looking forward to this part of the evening. To think...after this long, Prince Van is being crowned king. I bet he's really happy..." Briassa remarked.

"I don't really think he is..." Eiko shook her head.

"Being...crowned king?" Briassa arched a brow in confusion.

"No! That much is true. I just don't really think he's all that happy about it..."

"And since when are you the expert on Van's feelings?"

"Hey! I'm the one who's been in love with him for years..." Eiko giggled.

"More like obsessed..."

"No...it's love. Obsessions are far different from that. But still, I don't really know what Van thinks and feels all too well. Sometimes...when I know he's happy, I get happy. Or when he's sad...I'm sad for him. I just...well, I guess his emotions just reflect in my heart."

"Bravo...beautiful speech, Eiko. Now if only you spoke more than two words to him..."

"Ha! I should have known you wouldn't take me seriously, Bri."

The two girls laughed as they moved along, and Sorien glanced back at them from her spot ahead, "Hurry up, you two! You don't want to be late, do you?"

Eiko and Briassa snapped up at the comment and both offered their own apology. The walking pace was briskly picked up, allowing the blonde and raven-haired youths to close the gap between them. Weaving around people and darting through spaces, the group passed by an irritated Merle, who kept ranting about 'not being able to see Van all dressed up.' That was a sight that Eiko more than wanted to see. She could only imagine how ridiculous the tiny prince appeared in armor that was probably twice the size of him. The four came to a jumbled halt, and beside them was a cluster of teenage girls-all making comments about how handsome Van was. It seemed vaguely familiar to that time, so long ago, with the ones who were talking about Folken. A reminiscent smile crossed her lips, but faded with realization. So, others noticed Van's comely appearance? Well, Eiko knew there was more to that boy than just 'good-looks,' and eventually the love of her life might see that...unless of course, the lad only had eyes for a certain someone.

That sepia gaze locked itself on the girl Hitomi, spotting her to the right side of the platform. Her clothing was even stranger than before-a short brown skirt with a long-sleeve, uniform blazer that fell atop it. Socks came up to the starts of her calves, and she wore the oddest looking shoes. Eiko sighed, and then looked to the center where Van himself was kneeling. A priest stepped up, bedecked in his ceremonial garb. All four of the samurai brigadier generals stood to Van's left. The robed-man shifted forward, extending a blue-hilted sword in the Prince's direction.

"Van Fanel, King of Fanelia, I bestow upon thee this sword as proof of thy ascension..." The priest croaked out those words as Van rose to his full height, closing his fingers around the offered sword and removing it from the man's hands. "Long may you reign..."

Eiko struck up with applause along with the rest of the citizens. Fanelia's new king, Van Slanzer De Fanel, was taking his rightful position on the throne. She was proud of him and all the tasks he had accomplished. Poor Van had endured many losses over the coarse of his fifteen year span, but at least he still had Balgus and Merle. They had become his family. Though, Eiko winced as she suddenly felt a knot twist in her stomach. Her blood seemed to run cold for a few seconds and her heart beat furiously. The pulsating pounded in her ears and waves of upraised bumps surfaced on her flesh. It seemed like that time when she was talking with Briassa and Sorien about always being friends...and it could only mean one thing. Something was wrong...something was horribly wrong.



Jarnuth leaned against the tower wall with a sigh. Standing on lookout was absolutely boring and the only thing that really kept him occupied were thoughts of Eiko, since Karyn wasn't really keeping the best company. He was just sitting against the bricked surface, whistling some Fanelia song. This repeated tune began to annoy Jarnuth, and the soldier sighed, beginning to pace. Once that got old, he collapsed back into the chair and stared off in the direction of the forest. There was nothing he wanted more than to be out of there and with Eiko at that moment. This "date" they were about to have just meant so much to him, for he had dreamt of the day that he could actually say he was with her on a special occasion. Jarnuth lowered his head to his forearms, and Karyn abruptly stopped the melody, clearing his throat.

"I'm really lookin' forward to the festivities tonight..."

Jarnuth smirked some, glancing up at his friend with a nod of agreement, "Yeah...me too. It's supposed to be a real blow out..."

Karyn snickered, moving toward him and resting a hand on that rail. Jarnuth looked up at the fellow soldier and then off in the distance. His mind started to drift again, but the sight before him prevented such deep thoughts from blossoming. The area seemed to distort for a brief moment and Jarnuth blinked, raising his arm to rub at his eyes. Perhaps it was his own vision that blurred...it had been pretty hot lately. The hand was lowered and he lifted the lids. Eventually the fuzziness faded from the rub, and he let his eyes adjust on the scenery, spotting the same exact invisible flickering.

"Hey...what's that?" Jarnuth addressed the other, not once peeling hazels from the spot.

Karyn inched forward, shaking his head in confusion, "I'm not too sure..."

The two lads continued to study the distant fade of scenery, though the next thing they saw were two metallic projectile blades heading their way. The weapons penetrated the tower, allowing two agonized screams to ring out. Wood split and cracked as those claws twisted their way completely down the length of the building. There were a few snapping sounds once the spun metal began to unwind. When the three blades were separated all the way, that lookout tower was completely destroyed. Wood and various debris flew in every which way, and the arm of the 'invisible giant' disappeared behind its mask of stealth. One crash of a footstep brought these unknown enemies into the country, forcing stands to snap beneath the weight.



"What's...wrong, Eiko?" Briassa looked toward her distressed friend with concern.

Sorien moved over and placed a comforting hand on the raven-haired girl's shoulder as Asantay stared off in the distance. One of the castle guards ran up and whispered something to him. Asantay simply nodded, telling the other three he would be back quickly as he dashed off. Eiko gnawed on her bottom lip, but then jumped once the first set of stomping footsteps came. Briassa and Sorien both snapped up in that direction, staring on in horror as the 'creatures' drew closer and closer with each advance. The townsfolk gasped and began various panicked conversations themselves, everyone equally as frightened as the next.

"W-what's that?" The redhead's eyes were wide, reflecting the deep fear that bubbled inside.

"I don't know, but I have a really bad feeling about this..." Briassa looked toward Sorien.

"Why did Asantay have to leave?" Sorien ran her hands up and down her own arms as though she was attempting to comfort herself.

Eiko gritted her teeth, brows pressing against each other as buildings were crushed and people were killed. She couldn't see the murder itself, but she heard painful bellows every now and then. Her mother and father were somewhere out there! Dread cut itself into her body and knees started to wobble, forcing Eiko to lose her balance. She collapsed to a kneel, watching as roofs caved in from being hit and units of Fanelian defense began to post themselves in various areas. Soon, they too were eliminated. Horse's hooves thumped steadily against the ground once Asantay returned with shouted orders.

"It's an attack! We're under siege! Get the women and children to the mountains..." Asantay paused and glanced around. "I'm gonna need every able body I can get. Let's go!"

Reigns were pulled and the horse began to trot off. Sorien blinked and then quickly chased after him, "Asantay! Wait!!"

Briassa looked after the redhead, and then reached for Eiko's arm with a slight tug, "Come on, Eiko...you heard what 'Sant said...we need to get out of here quickly."

"So many people...so many people..." Eiko whispered over and over again, hugging herself as she attempted to keep her stability.

"Eiko! Come on! Get up! I'm not gonna leave you behind!" Briassa gave one firm yank, which brought the near-catatonic princess to her feet. "Let's get to safety!"

Being pulled against her will, Eiko stumbled to follow along behind, staggering all the while. Her mind wasn't too clearly focused on walking. With Briassa's guide, they wound up with the line of women and young children who were all being led off to sanctuary. But, could they really be safe at all from the invisible enemies? That sepia gaze landed on a small boy, who was no more than three. Tears lined the rims of his eyes as he kept a lookout on the destruction, being dragged along by his mother's hand. Onyx lashes drifted over Eiko's eyes and she sent a glance back at their homeland. A place which had probably taken years to build was swiftly being destroyed in a matter of seconds. It was a devastating thing to see...and it made Eiko realize something. She suddenly broke from Briassa and turned back the other way.

"Eiko? Eiko!! What are you doing?!"

"I can't leave Fanelia, Bri. This land is my home. It's nursed all my dreams for so long. I can't leave it now. I can't leave Van!" The princess called over her shoulder as she dashed back into the town, only faintly hearing the pleas to stay from Briassa...until of course they disappeared from listening range completely.

Thick smoke billowed up from the flames that were steadily consuming buildings and guymelefs. Eiko branched off into a fit of coughs and gags as the stench filled her nostrils and lingered in her lungs. She stepped lightly and cautiously around fresh carcasses, avoiding to the best of her ability the pools of blood which collected under every new body. The intense heat blazed up, forcing sweat to trickle down her forehead. But, despite the searing temperature, a chill crept its way nimbly along Eiko's spinal cord. She had to find Van...she really needed to find him.

Fanelian guymelefs tried to hold their own in battle, but found this a more difficult task than planned. Strings of silver swiftly penetrated the cockpits, rendering the pilots wounded. In most cases, this was only the torture a cat gave a mouse before it went in for the kill. The official cause of death was either by flames, or the makeshift sword of the opposite arm. Soon enough, the 'melef's dropped, falling in a growing pile beside Luva, Asona, and Yurizen's own defeated giants.

Eiko whimpered at the results of the fighting, but then snapped her attention to the shrine. She didn't exactly know how, but she felt as though Van was there. The teenager hopped over a few misplaced columns on the ground, starting forward to see if this assumption was indeed true. Though, Eiko didn't get very far until her arm was grasped. Her eyes widened with fear and she whipped around only to spot Asantay. A soft sigh of relief escaped, and she snatched her wrist away.

"Eiko...what are you doing here? It's really dangerous, you know? People are dying...you gotta get yourself to safety and fast. I already sent Sori up to the mountain," Asantay made a motion to the side with his thumb.

"I...I couldn't leave. I needed to make sure that Van's all right..." Eiko spared a concerned glance toward the shrine.

"Worry about yourself for once, Eiko. The king's going to make it out of here safely. He's got a lot of protection. You, however, they could very well kill you. These things, whatever they are, are relentless. They've already killed the majority of Fanelia...just please, Eiko, please! Don't let them get you too," Asantay sighed.

"But...'Sant! This isn't right! Van could be in trouble...he probably is in trouble! I have to--"

"What could you possibly do that's more than what's already being done to save him? It's not your job to fight here...it's your job to stay alive."

Eiko regarded him in a contemplative manner, "Then, you should come with me. Sori's probably really worried..."

"No, Eiko. I have to stay here. I have to try and defend my homeland...which was what I vowed to do ever since the very day I signed up for the royal guard..." Asantay lowered his gaze.

"But, I don't want to leave you behind!"

"You don't have a choice! Now go, Eiko!! Get back there with Briassa and Sori. And when you see Sori...please...just tell her that I love her. More than anything in Gaea..."

Eiko's eyes glazed over, forcing her vision to blur for a brief moment. She reached a hand up to swipe those tears away and then nodded once to him. Pivoting in the direction of the safety path, she began away from him. Though, a hint of wavering came into her view and Eiko let her eyes travel the length of the flickering scenery, drawing in a gasp. The distorted unreality became solid when a blue and silver 'arm' slipped out of the invisibility. It was aimed directly for her, and Eiko was frozen with fear, watching in wide-eyed horror as beams of liquid metal came twisting and turning her way.

"Eiko!!"

Asantay had called out in hopes to get her to move, but proving actions held a quicker response than words, he leapt forward and gave a firm push to Eiko's shoulder. The raven-haired princess hit the ground; clouds of dirt rose up around her. It took a few seconds, but she swiftly snapped her attention toward Asantay. He, however, wasn't as lucky as Eiko, and the steel blades passed through his body, forcing vermilion fluids to dart in several different directions. His eyes clenched in anguish, but then all emotion drained, and he dropped to the ground beside her. Eiko let out a surprised cry, reaching trembling digits forward to brush his cheek. The sensitivity was delayed, but after a couple of moments when this sank into her mind, an uncontrollable sob rose up in her throat. A crash sounded in the distance as the tools which had resulted in Asantay's demise, connected with a wall of some sort. Eiko looked up in the area, parting her lips in shock. It seemed, she too, was about to join her friend. Rubble from the once standing building came toppling over the two friends. The girl loomed protectively over her companion's body, as stone and wood dropped down on them both. Intense pain shot through Eiko's form and continued to do so for a moment, circulating throughout her veins...but eventually that ceased. Fading and falling slowly now, the pain coarsed it's way into the atramentous, oceanic shadow...being washed away into nirvana.