Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ A Country's Hope ❯ Letting Go ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Merry morning sounds emitted from the forests and trees, but things weren't so joyful in Fanelia. The fires had stopped. However, the destruction remained the same. No building had survived the damage completely and everything had been touched in some way or another by all the lives that had been taken. Survivors had been scattered and the only ones to keep anyone company in that land at the moment, were the dead.

Somewhat near the blue-roofed castle, lay a rather large pile of rubble. It began to shift some and one wooden block rolled off the top, skidding across the ground. Quite a few frantic cries sounded within the debris, and with each cry...more debris dropped. A few more followed suit until there was a clear patch. The feminine hand that had been the cause of this, latched onto the edge of a broken piece of stone wall. Fingers quivered over it, and the youthful girl pushed herself upright with a bit of effort as well as a sigh of relief. Being closed in such a tight space left the raven-haired princess's palms sweaty and heart pounding, but she forced all of that to the back of her mind. She was free...that was all that mattered.

Eiko cringed, raising her hand to touch the dried up blood on her forehead. She didn't even know where the wound began or really how it got there. A soft sigh escaped her lips, and she closed her eyes for a moment. This was all so confusing. Those lashes raised to allow her attention to drift to the body beside her and a gasp of surprise was drawn in. It took a moment, but jet brows pinched together in remembrance, and she sighed, bringing Asantay into her arms as a light kiss was placed upon the cold forehead. With a whispered good-bye, Eiko let him go.

Everything was strangely silent, and Eiko looked around quickly for any signs of life. A few times she thought she heard the giggle of children in the distance, but it was only her imagination. And imagination certainly had a cruel way of playing tricks in this situation. With a wince, the girl eased to a standing position. A twinge of pain shot through her body, racing up her spinal cord and lingering at the base of her neck. Eiko let out a soft cry, before she forced the agony back in her mind and started forward. Bodies and fallen 'melefs were avoided with each cautious step.

A few leaves blew past, carried by the silent wind. They circled each other playfully and then with one in the lead, the rest quickly chased along. Eiko watched those until they pointed out what they really wanted to show her. A gasp was immediately drawn into her lips and tears flooded out her vision. She didn't even want to blink them away, for she didn't want to see it again. Of course, those lashes fell on impulse and once the view was cleared, Daynus's and Fanis's bodies settled into sight. Eiko hadn't even realized her legs gave out beneath her, and her lower lip trembled as she reached forward, laying a hand on her father's cold, yet slightly singed cheek. Even in death, it seemed as though he was protecting Fanis, since one arm was surrounding her. And her mother seemed so tranquil...they both did.

"F-father...M-mother..." Eiko lowered her gaze, before a sob rose up her throat. "You can't leave me! I need you both. There are so many things that you have to teach me yet. Please...open your eyes."

There was no response.

"Please? Please! Mother...? Father..." The girl buried her face in between her inanimate parents as tears fell steadily, soaking the ground between them. The only thing the young princess could do was whisper out desperately, one last time. "Please...?"

Quietude settled over everything and Eiko, herself, just wanted to join along with all of those lifeless forms. She never wanted to move ever again, just stay there forever and ever with her parent's protection. Even though two little voices sounded in the back of her mind, urging her to stand and live, she refused to listen to them. Only a few hours ago, everyone was rejoicing and happy. Only a few minutes ago...everyone had a bright future ahead of them and wonderful dreams as well as aspirations to match. But...only a few seconds ago, that hope was ripped and torn from everyone in Fanelia. Lives would never be the same for those who had survived, and those who had not...well...Eiko liked to believe that they were at least in a happier place.

Two birds swooped down nearby and they released their melodious chirp in Eiko's direction. She couldn't help but look up at both animals. As soon as they received her attention, they flapped their wings and took off in the distance, leaving an array of tiny, white feathers behind. After a few seconds of lingering silence, a groan rose up from the direction the birds had flown off in. It took Eiko by surprise and she waited for it again, just in case the original was her imagination. Sure enough, the familiar moan sounded once again and the girl immediately pushed herself up, heading in that area with the one single hope captured within her heart-that she wouldn't be alone any longer.

Following feathers and sounds, Eiko wound up in the place where the watch tower once stood. Of course, now there were only pieces of it strewn out along the ground. Those eyes roamed over everything until they settled on the first heap of presumed life. She rushed forward, pushing at a few heavy blocks of wood and watching as they dropped to the opposite side. Doing this had revealed Karyn's deceased body. A sorrowful gaze was lowered to him. It must have only been her imagination, to think that anyone could have survived this, and Eiko kneeled before Karyn, whispering choked out good-byes.

"E-Eiko..." A strained voice started up from the other side.

The girl snapped upright, raising her hands to rub at those itchy eyes. She turned and swiftly followed the voice's location on her hands and knees. Who she came across...was none other than Jarnuth. His teeth were clenched painfully and his brows flickered with inner struggle. Quite a large line of liquid vermilion had seeped out of the hideous wound at his side, but despite any of that, Eiko grinned brightly. Jarnuth wouldn't leave her...he'd be by her side always! Releasing happy tears-she didn't seem to know any other way to show her emotions except to cry at that point-she instantly moved forward, cradling Jarnuth's upper body in her arms.

"Oh, Jarnuth! I'm so glad you're alive. I don't want to be alone here...there's too much death. I need you, Jarn. And you didn't let me down! You won't let me down!" Eiko exclaimed and probably would have gone on farther were she not interrupted by Jarnuth's wavering voice.

"I'm afraid I will let you down, Eiko..." His eyes opened and a weak smile was spared. "My angel has come to see me off safely from this world to the next, wherever that may be. I knew you would come if I wished hard enough...it's so very cold, Eiko. So...cold..."

Unsure of how to react to his words, she just brought his form closer to her own, in hopes that some of her own body heat would transfer to him when he needed it, "Jarnuth, I need you...please don't leave me."

"You're strong, Eiko. I know you can survive on your own and so long as you never forget me...I'll always be with you. My love for you is strong enough to break the barriers between life and death."

Her eyes closed tightly, allowing warm droplets to fall, "I'm so sorry, Jarnuth. I'm sorry I never got a chance to return that love."

"I don't mind, Eiko...loving you was enough...just giving that love..."

"Please...don't go, Jarn. I need you now. I need more time with you to make everything up to you..."

"Eiko..." Jarnuth let out a weak cough, but then continued on. "Being here right now has made up for everything and anything possible. Just getting to see you one final time is enough for me. It's getting darker and colder now...you should find a safe place."

"No, Jarnuth! No! Not yet...please don't go.." Eiko seized his icy hand and sealed it within both of hers as she brought it against her cheek.

"Promise me you'll live on...promise me that you won't give up hope. That's all I want you to do now, Eiko."

"But I--"

"Promise me..."

"Jarnuth..." Eiko paused before she nodded with defeat. "I promise."

The dying youth offered a feeble smile, taking his final sight of the 'angel' before him until those lids grew far too heavy to hold up anymore, "Eiko..."

A glimmer of fear shined within her sepia spheres as she scooted closer, "Yes?"

"Would it...be out of line...to ask for one last kiss?"

Her lower lip trembled and she shook her head, her voice cracking with fought back emotions, "Of course not, Jarnuth."

Eiko hesitated at first, as she really didn't want to let him go, but she finally had to release the upper half. Sliding to the nearest side, digits moved beneath Jarnuth's head to support it and a quivering mouth was placed upon those still lips of his. Her eyes closed tightly and she felt a smile curve upon Jarnuth's face, followed by the weakly added pressure for the return. She felt his lips part and the last breath escape his body as the rest of his limbs went lax. Her hand, which had been pressing against his chest, felt the slow and eventual stop of his pulse. But, Eiko continued to kiss him, afraid of letting go and realizing that she was all alone. Warm saline crept out the corners of closed eyes and dropped steadily to his body. Suddenly, emotion gripped her far too much and she was forced to leave his lips as several sobs rose up.

Eiko wept against the deceased form of her beloved friend for sometime, but found she had to stop as such violent cries were beginning to hurt. She drew back from him, placing her hand against Jarnuth's life-drained cheek. One final farewell kiss was placed upon his lips before she pushed herself up to her feet. She felt weary and somewhat ill from this all, but she promised Jarnuth she would go on and so she had to try. Eiko carried herself back to the center of the town and allowed her gaze to sweep over the destroyed homeland. If only things could have been different. If only hopes and dreams could have all blossomed. If this wouldn't have happened, Briassa and Karyn could have gotten married as they had planned. Asantay and Sorien would have had many years ahead of them, but most importantly Jarnuth would still be alive. And what had happened to Van throughout all of this? Was he the one responsible for abandoning everyone and allowing this horrid turn of events to come into play? Eiko furrowed her brows and sighed, lowering her gaze to the ground.

Within her view was a half-burnt rag doll. She blinked, bending forward to pick it up and one hand lifted to brush through the yarn-hair that had remained in tact on one side. Her gaze moved off distantly as phantom images of Briassa and Sorien played in front of her. It was the tea party they had that one day and the dolls they had brought to play were also lined up where they had been. Eiko's old house took shape, and she watched on almost feeling like an uninvited guest at that point. The little bout of conversation was what stuck out the most in her mind, however.



Sorien followed Briassa's lead, and lifted her own doll, bringing her hand up to fix some of the knotted hair which was composed of corn silk. Those dark spheres raised to Eiko and Briassa, and she pursed her lips before speaking, "Do...you think it'll always be like this? That it will always be just us kids together...even when we're old?"

Briassa quirked a brow, but then nodded confidently, "I'm sure it will...we'll probably get all old and wrinkly together...and live in Fanelia for the rest of our lives!"

Eiko smiled, about to add a positive comment to that, until a sudden chillsome feeling waved over her entire body. It struck her so fiercely that small, upraised bumps broke into view over her bare arms. A shaky hand raised to her forehead, and her brows slid together. Briassa and Sorien watched the raven-haired girl with concern, before the blonde just took it upon herself to inch closer, and lay a hand of comfort over Eiko's shoulder.

"Are you all right?" Briassa asked.

I-I'm not so sure... "Yeah...I'm fine."

Sorien blinked, and stayed her distance, "...are you sure?"

Eiko nodded quickly, and then sank back against the bed post. Her palms skirted their way up and down those forearms, trying to coax the tiny goose bumps back inside her body, "Yes...I'm fine. I'm really fine. ...and...I think that...we will be friends until the very end..."



With that, the images vanished from view, and Eiko was left standing in the middle of the deserted country. Her eyes moved toward the rag doll slowly as she sighed, and then brought it upward to hug against her chest, "If only I had known then what I know now..."

Eiko's eyes raised once again to the destruction as she whispered out the words, "Good-bye, Fanelia...farewell, friends. I'll always have my memories...you'll all live on forever in those."

The girl kneeled down, laying the doll back where it belonged. One final good-bye was needed, and Eiko raised her attention to the sky, "And good-bye, Van...I suppose it wasn't meant to be. I'll let you out of my heart if it's even possible to do. But know this, you...also...will always reside within my memories. I'll never forget any of this life in Fanelia, nor will I forget the time I spent loving you, Van. Farewell for now, perhaps someday...we'll meet again..."



The End