Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of the Night ❯ Choice ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry I’m behind on everything. I had a sociology report to do on serial killers, two psych tests to study and a bird journal for Zoology I have to keep up to date. Plus I have been getting everything in order for my trip to Quebec the end of this month. It’s all very frustrating. Oh and I would like to apologize for saying country instead of continent. I made a mistake thanks for catching it.

***********

Hitomi moaned and rolled over, burying her head into to her very good smelling pillow. “Mmm…that smells heavenly.” she murmured before rubbing her head up and down her rock hard pillow. “Wait, rock hard?” she said to herself before bolting up. Her eyes landed on her “pillow” only to realize that her pillow was Van. A very childish looking, sleeping Van. Suddenly the very innocent Van grabbed Hitomi and pulled her down to where she originally was, lying on his chest.

“No. Stay.” he said caveman like.

Hitomi giggled. “Alright you brute. You don’t have to tell me twice.” With a yawn, Hitomi settled into a comfortable position and slept.

**********

“Hitomi….Hitomi…come play with me.”

Eight year old Hitomi giggled and ran after her little brother.

“Hitomi, Kenji, dinner!!”

Hitomi grabbed her brother’s hand and looked over to where her mother stood next to her father with a baby in her hand.

“Coming.” With a giggle, Hitomi ran with her brother’s hand still in her grasp, her eyes still on her parents. That is until the baby her mother was holding disappeared. Hitomi gasped and stopped. Immediately, the hand she was clutching fell away. Hitomi whipped around to see her brother lying on the ground in his own blood. She helplessly looked towards her family. Her father was laying face down, blood dripping from his neck. Then her mother gave a scream of agony and Hitomi watched as the blood gushed from her mother’s side.

“NO!!!! MOTHER!!!!” Before Hitomi could reach her mother’s side, everything went black.

“Hitomi.” a gentle voice called behind her.

Hitomi turned around to see her mother staring at her softly, her green eyes filled with sorrow.

“Mother!” Hitomi realized with a start that her voice changed. She was no longer eight years old, she was eighteen.

“You’ve grown to be so beautiful.”

“Mother…I…There’s so many things I want to say but I…”

“I know. I love you and miss you too. So does your father and your brothers as well as your father.”

“So the baby is with you too?”

“Yes. We are very happy and we are waiting for you to be with us.”

Hitomi smiled, blinking back tears. “I want to be with you.”

Hitomi’s mom smiled sadly. “Yes I know but are you not forgetting someone?”

Hitomi’s brow wrinkled. “Who?”

Hitomi’s mother pointed behind her. Hitomi turned around and noticed a smiling Van holding his arms out to her. Behind him were many different paths. Hitomi tried to see where they lead to, but she was unable to.

“Those paths symbolize all the different routes your life with Van could take you. If you want to join us, the third path takes you there but you must remember what you will be giving up.”

“And the other paths?”

Hitomi’s mother smiled. “I can not tell you. They all give so many possibilities.”

“What about that one?” asked Hitomi, pointing to a dark path three feet away from Van.

Hitomi’s mother sighed. “That is the path without Van. That is a tragic path, one that will not lead you to happiness.”

“Oh.”

“Do you want to see where my favorite path leads to?”

Hitomi nodded.

“Then come.”

Hitomi followed her mother down the fifth path. At the end stood Van’s house. However it looked slightly different, more cheerful.

“I’ll get you!”

Hitomi watched as a child no older then five with green eyes and dark black hair burst out of the house with a mischievous Van following.

“Mommy!” the boy said laughing.

Hitomi watched, startled as the little boy hid behind her dress clad legs. It seemed that she was physically in this scene. Everyone could see and feel her.

Van smiled at her. “Hello wife.” He kissed her mouth lovingly.

“Van…” she said blushing.

“What is it?” he asked cocking his head. “After being married all these years why are you still so shy?” he asked teasingly.

Hitomi looked down when she felt a tug in her skirt. The little boy, no…their little boy looked up at her and held up his arms. Smiling, she complied and lifted him up. When she looked back up, she noticed everything had paused.

“Such a beautiful little boy.” Hitomi’s mother said softly. “And you are so happy here.”

“Am I really?”

Hitomi’s mother smiled. “You would be.”

“And you…you would want this for me? You would want me to live the rest of my life with him? With the son of your murderer?”

“Does the actions of the father reflect on the son?”

Hitomi smiled and shook her head. “No they do not.”

“Do you think you could be happy down this path?”

“I don’t know. This life seems so constricting. Could I be happy with no freedom?”
“That my daughter is something every woman has to decide on their own. My time grows short, come I must show you one more path.”

“What path is that?”

“One without him.”

Hitomi followed her mother down the darkened path not behind Van but by him. At the end of this path, Hitomi saw a sickening sight. A deranged vampiress was feeding on the dead body of a woman and not just any woman but Yukari.

“Hold it right there!”

The vampiress jerked up and Hitomi saw herself. Except her eyes were blood red and her fangs peeked out if her lips. Just as in the last path, Hitomi could feel herself become the vampiress. She hissed at the intruders who she was surprised to see were hunters from Headquarters, and turned to run. The next thing she knew was explosive pain in her back and she fell face first on the sidewalk. She could not move nor breathe. She was dying and the last thought in her blood lusting mind was one single word. ‘Van…’

Again the scene froze and Hitomi’s mother pulled her out of the deranged image of herself.

“I hope I have helped you.”

Hitomi nodded. “You have. I have much to live for don’t I?”

“Yes, and I want you to live that life. I want to watch my grandchildren from above.”

“I can’t promise you anything Mother.”

“I know, but you will try?”

“Yes.”

Hitomi’s mother smiled and kissed her forehead. “My time is up. Remember that I love you very much.”

“I will Mother, I promise.”

With one more smile, Hitomi’s mother faded leaving her to stare at the path that her mother first came from and the paths where Van stood.

Hitomi smiled at her mother’s path before turning around. As fast as she could, Hitomi ran into Van’s embrace and forcefully pushed her lips to his before closing her eyes. “I love you.” She whispered against his lips.

“I love you too Kitten but what the hell has gotten into you?”

Hitomi opened her eyes. She was ontop of Van in her bedroom pretty much molesting him. “YIIIPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!” Hitomi jumped off of him and raced down the hall as if the devil was on her heels. “What the crap…” She said stopping at the end of the hall. She leaned against a door to catch her breath. “That was….awkward.”

Hitomi fell as the door she was leaning against swung open.

“Hitomi? What are you doing here?”

Hitomi turned around.

Night of the Raven