Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ I've started yet another story. I'm not sure if I really like this one. It's not the sort of thing I ususally write...
Discalimer: I own nothing but the (sort of) original plot.
Bonds & Vows
Part I
By: Penybright
A shadowy presence slipped stealthily into the large bedchamber. A figure was sleeping restlessly on the bed, tossing and turning as they tangled themself in the sheets. The intruder crept forward, drawing a long, slender dagger from a belt at their waist. The figure on the bed continued to thrash in their sleep, unaware of the invading presence in their room.
Van instantly awoke as he was pressed violently to the mattress, and the point of a dagger pressed against his throat. His eyes were wide in shock as he froze, not even daring to breathe.
"Hello Van Fanel," his assailant sneered. "I've come to deliver a message to you."
Van blinked in response. A folded piece of parchment was waved in front of his wide eyes.
"I suggest you follow the orders enclosed within. I wouldn't want anything... unpleasant to happen," he chuckled dryly.
"I think I'll leave you a little reminder, just to make sure you take me seriously."
The man pinning Van began to slide his dagger across Van's neck, cutting deep enough to draw blood, but not major damage. Van's eyes grew wider and he opened his mouth to cry out, but was met with silence. As Van began to feel dizzy, and his vision started to swirl and lurch, he heard the sound of his assailant chuckling, and then a thunk.
Silence once again permeated the room, except for Van's choked, raspy breathing. Before falling into the depths of unconsciousness, Van managed to knock over a lamp, and the table it was on, beside him. Before he even heard the large thump followed by the crash of glass impacting with the floor, Van was out cold.
<<<<<<<<~*~>>>>>>>&g t;
Van's eyes fluttered open slowly as he began to awake. Memories of last night began to flit through his mind, and he bolted up, a hand reaching up to clasp around his throat. Van's hand came in contact with a thick layer of gauze wrapped around his throat. He opened his mouth to call for someone, but quickly shut it, sucking in a harsh breath as pain knifed through his throat.
Van realized in horror that he couldn't even utter a word. He stumbled out of bed, tripping on the covers tangled around his legs. Van threw his hands out as the floor suddenly surged towards him. He landed with a dull thud, and sat up rubbing bruised limbs.
The door to Van's chamber swung inward and someone hurried to his side.
"Lord Van?"
Van looked up to see the court healer Basil staring down at him worriedly. Van opened his mouth to reply, but thought better of it and snapped it shut. He remembered what had just happened when he tried to speak.
"I see... You already know that you can't use your voice. It should only be temporary," the physician assured him, seeing Van's stricken face. Basil helped Van to his feet, and then left, leaving Van to his thoughts.
Several minutes later, Van walked out of his quarters and headed down the hallway to his study. Assassination attempt or no, he had work to do. Fanelia was still in the process of being rebuilt, and they still had several more years work ahead of them.
Once inside his study, Van sank into the large, plush chair behind his desk. After several minutes of languid silence, Van found himself beginning to nod off. He instantly snapped to attention when the door to his study opened, and one of his advisors walked in.
"King Van," he nodded in greeting. The advisor placed a folded piece of parchment and a dagger on the desk in front of Van.
"We found the letter pinned to the door with the dagger, Sire."
Van glanced silently at the objects before him. His hand unconsciously reached up to his neck when his eyes rested on the blood encrusted dagger. After a moments hesitation, Van picked up the parchment, unfolding it. Taking a deep breath, Van began to read the scrolly handwriting.
King Van of Fanelia,
The previous evenings meeting was a mere warning, in order to assure you of my conviction. Fanelia is a prosperous and rich country in its own right. My own country of Eneis is also prosperous as well, but if our countries were to ally, both would benefit and become greater than as they currently stand. I simply do not ask for this alliance, I demand it.
In order to cement the joining of our countries, I propose a marriage. You have already reached your eighteenth year, and still have not chosen a wife. Therefore, I will choose one for you. We will join our countries through the marriage of you, King Van Fanel and my daughter Tallinn.
Van swallowed convulsively, the hand holding the parchment beginning to shake as he read the next part.
Turning down this most generous offer, would not be a wise venture. Not only would your own life be in peril as a result, but those of your people as well. I wish to avoid war and senseless slaughter if I can, but if you resist, I will be forced into such actions.
I wish to congratulate you on you upcoming marriage to my daughter Van Fanel. I look forward to seeing you on your wedding day at the end of this week.
Cordially,
King Vespan
Van dropped the parchment onto his desk, his head sinking into his hands. He suddenly felt very ill.
"Sire?" the advisor questioned. Van handed him the letter with a sigh. A stunned silence filled the room when he finished reading.
"I'll call the council to convene at once Sire," he said quickly, turning and leaving behind a stunned king.
Van shook his head, pulling himself from his reverie. Surely they could come to a compromise... Van grimaced, knowing that Vespan would never compromise. His aching neck was proof of the king's conviction. Still, Van had to hope there was a way out of marrying the princess. He had never met the girl before! Besides, Van had another woman in mind for his wife...
<<<<<<<<~*~>>>>>>> >
Van shifted uncomfortably in the high-backed wood chair. He was seated at a large oblong table, with him at the head and his advisors along the sides. An attendant approached him, placing a stack of parchment, an inkwell, and quill before him. Van nodded in thanks as he comprehended what the utensils were for. Idly, he wondered who had thought of the idea. His musings were cut short as someone cleared their throat.
"This council has been called to order due to some rather disturbing events. I believe that we have all reached a consensus on our plan of action?" Coyft asked, looking around the room. The other advisors nodded affirmative. Satisfied that everyone was up-to-date on the subject, he continued.
"We all know that this is no idle threat. I'm sure that King Van would assure us all of that."
All eyes turned to Van, and he nodded, not really paying attention to them. His mind was furiously trying to think up ways of avoiding armed conflict, and his marriage.
"We all know Fanelia could never enter into a war, let alone any pitched battle at this point," Eros interjected.
"Eros is right. Fanelia is still in the process of rebuilding. The army isn't even at half its former strength."
"I agree with Thomas. We could not consider any sort of battle at this point," Coyft concluded.
"Luckily, we will thankfully be able to avoid such unwanted bloodshed. Isn't that right Sire?"
"Oh yes, the marriage proposal," Eros smiled.
Van's head snapped up at the mention of marriage. They couldn't possibly...
"King Van, we've brought this matter up with you several times. It seems that we will have to bother you with it no more," Coyft finished.
Van's eyes grew wide in disbelief. He began to shake his head in protest, silently mouthing the word "no".
"I agree. Sire, we've been after you for years about producing an heir. What if something should happen to you?" Thomas said, backing up Coyft.
Van looked at all of them in dismay. They didn't seriously expect him to go through with this... did they? Looking around at the faces of his "trusted" advisors, Van felt his hopes sink. They were going to drag him to this forced wedding kicking and screaming if they had to. He wanted to yell in frustration. His advisors were supposed to help him, not dig him a deeper hole to fall in!
It wasn't as though Van really had any choice he realized. If he refused, he would knowingly and willingly condemn his people to death. He could never do that. But, he somehow felt... betrayed. It didn't seem fair that his happiness should be sacrificed for some king's gluttonous wish. For now, Van let the subject slide. His advisors weren't going to be of any help. He'd have to think of a way out of this on his own.