Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ I finally got part two done! Poor Van... Hitomi's returned to Gaea, and I don't think she's to happy about Van's marriage... But everything will turn out all right in the end, right? Hmmm... Maybe the plot isn't as predictable as I thought it was going to be...
Bonds & Vows
Part II
By: Penybright
Two days later, Van was still where he had started. Nowhere. No solutions had come to light, only more questions. Why was the King of Eneis so intent on him marrying his daughter? Did his daughter have any say in the matter? What was the king really after? Fanelia was mostly a rural kingdom, know mostly for its agriculture. What could Fanelia possibly have that was so valuable, so important that it was worth forcing him into a marriage. And the question that plagued Van the most: What exactly was going to become of him once the marriage was finalized?
Van looked outside and sighed, seeing the darkening sky. He had secluded himself in his room for the day hoping that the solitude would help him think of... something. Unfortunately, the endeavor had proved worthless. Van sighed, his head sinking into his hands. He only had three days left...
A bright flash of light illuminating the sky grabbed Van's attention. His head snapped up, glancing out the window. He was just in time to see a brilliant column of light disintegrating into little flecks of stardust. Van leaped out of his chair, stumbling towards the door. Hitomi had come back to Gaea... Why did she have to pick now to return? Van grimaced, knowing that this evening's encounter wasn't going to be pleasant. It didn't help that he wouldn't be able to explain. Van's voice had yet to return.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>&g t;>>>>
Van's stomach was twisted in knots as butterflies made it flip. He felt nauseous as he rode through the evening shrouded forest. He was excited to see Hitomi after all these years, and yet at the same time apprehensive. How would she react? Did she even feel the same way as she did before she left. Perhaps she had moved on with her life, and the reason she was here, was to tell him so. Even thought it hurt him deeply to admit it, Van hoped she had found someone. Then, the news of his marriage wouldn't upset her as much. Somehow, he knew that couldn't be, though.
If anything, Hitomi was extremely loyal to her friends. He hoped that she would understand his predicament, and come to accept the Van had no jurisdiction in the matter. Maybe with her help he could find a solution... if she didn't end up hating him... Van shook that thought out of his mind. No, Hitomi was too kind a person to hold a grudge. Still, trying to explain the situation to her would prove interesting. Van's brooding was cut short as someone hailed him from behind.
"Who are you?" a feminine voice called from behind.
Van wheeled his mount around to see his questioner. He was met with the sight of a young woman with jade eyes and sandy-brown hair.
"Van?" she cried, incredulous. "I almost didn't recognize you. You've certainly grow taller since I left."
Van blushed at her observation.
"Aren't you going to say something?"
Van's expression darkened as he shook his head. Leaping of his horse he strode over to her, watching her bemused expression. When he was sure he had her attention, Van raised his hand to his throat, trying to convey to her that he couldn't speak.
"Wha- what happened to you?"
Van grimaced. It was going to be a long night. Remounting, he offered his hand to Hitomi and pulled her up behind him. The ride back to the place was filled with awkward silence.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>& gt;>>>>
As soon as Van entered the courtyard, he was swarmed by his advisors.
"Sire, what is the meaning of this?" Coyft accused. "You are to be married at the end of the week, and here you are with another woman!"
"This is highly inappropriate!" Thomas chastised.
Van's face darkened in rage as he listened to their rebukes. Behind him, he heard Hitomi gasp, and his heart plummeted. He had hoped that she wouldn't learn this way. He had wanted to tell her himself, and maybe try to explain. Van started as he was dragged from his horse by his advisors. Who did they think they were? Van attempted to struggle free, but guards were called in to subdue him.
Van opened his mouth in silent protest, wishing that he had his voice. Glancing over, he saw Hitomi still astride his horse, with a shocked look on her face. She glimpsed over at Van and he saw the hurt in her jade depths. Van's eyes pleaded with her to understand.
"Sire!" one of his advisors shouted, drawing Van's attention back.
"Due to this incident, it seems that we shall have to confine you to your quarters. We don't want your careless actions to lead us into war."
Van stared at them, incredulously. What, exactly, did his advisors think they were doing? Before being dragged into the palace, Van glanced back to his horse, to find Hitomi gone. With a heavy sigh, Van allowed himself to be led inside.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>&g t;>>>>
As soon as Van's attention was directed away from her, Hitomi bolted from the courtyard. What had that man meant by saying that Van was getting married? Why hadn't Van told her? And who was he marrying? Hitomi ran blindly, letting her feet carry her to a destination only they knew. When she stumbled to a stop, she found herself in a breathtaking garden.
She wouldn't cry, she wouldn't cry... Darn it! Why did he always have this effect on her? She should have known better. It had been three years after all. A lot could happen in three years. Van was a king, and therefore had obligations... But she still felt hurt. She had trusted him, and he had broken her heart. He loved another and he was going to marry her, not Hitomi.
Hitomi crumpled to the ground, tears falling freely. Resting her head on the stone bench in front of her, she allowed her sorrow to be washed away by her tears. It seemed she had thrown away her life on earth for nothing. She was all alone now...