Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part III ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ For some reason, I've been getting a lot of inspiration for this fic, so I finished up chapter three pretty quick. I know I should be working on my other fics too... I'll get around to them eventually. I've never (knock on wood) not completed a writing project I started. So, please excuse my senseless rambling, and proceed on to the fic!
Disclaimer: I know you're all really bright people, and it should come as no shock to you that Escaflowne and it's characters don't belong to me.

Bonds & Vows
Part III
By: Penybright
As soon as the door shut behind him, Van hurled the first object he could find at it. The unfortunate piece of pottery shattered on impact, creating a large mess on the floor. They had no right! He was their king, not some criminal! What had ever possessed them to lock him in his rooms? On top of that, Hitomi had run away. There was no telling where she could be. Because of his advisors' stupidity, she could be in danger.
Van quelled his urge to scream, knowing it would do him no good, and only cause him pain. Instead, he began to pace back and forth, trying to vent his anger. If they thought they were going to keep him locked up like some common prisoner for the next three days, they were sorely mistaken. He wasn't beaten yet.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>>>& gt;>>>
After several hours, Van decided it was safe, and began his plan of escape. Stealthily slipping into his bedroom, Van shut the chamber door silently behind him. He made his way over to the window, looking outside to make sure no one was there. Satisfied that it was clear of possible traps, Van stripped off his shirt, laying it on a small table by the large window. Stepping up onto the ledge, Van cautiously checked the ground below him once more for anyone. Seeing no one, Van leaped out the window, pearly white wings springing from his back.
Once on the ground, Van's wings disappeared, and he dove into the closest shrubbery. He waited a few moments before bolting from his momentary sanctuary, and into the entrance of the palace gardens. Once safely inside the gardens, he allowed himself to relax a little. Few people ever came here. Taking a deep breath, Van picked his way through the garden to his own personal spot. He often came here when he was troubled.
Pushing aside a low hanging branch, Van ducked into the small clearing. In the center was a large fountain surrounded by stone benches. Trees ringed the clearing, screening it from view. Hanging vines spiraled around the trunks of the trees, going up into the branches. A dazzling array of colored flowers littered the ground, as well as the dropping vines. Rounding the fountain, Van came upon a very unexpected sight.
Hitomi had cried herself to sleep, and she was propped against a stone bench precariously. Van silently approached her, not wishing to startle her awake. Once he reached her, he shook her shoulder lightly, rousing Hitomi from her uneasy sleep. Hitomi blinked the sleep out of her eyes, the person standing before her coming into focus.
"Van!"
Van cringed at how loud her voice seemed. Hitomi's surprise suddenly turned to anger as her eyes narrowed.
"You! Why didn't you tell me?! I thought... I thought that... Never mind, I believe you owe me---" Hitomi was cut off as Van clamped a hand over her mouth, raising a finger to his lips to indicate silence.
When Van was sure that Hitomi understood, he removed his hand from her mouth. After a moments pause, he began to walk away, assuming Hitomi would follow. When she didn't follow, Van turned back to see her looking at him quizzically. With a heavy sigh, Van grabbed Hitomi's wrist, tugging gently. She hesitated a moment before following cautiously.
Van led Hitomi back the way he had come, keeping an eye out for any of the palace guards. Once they reached the path below Van's window, he hesitated. Taking a deep, steadying breath, Van scooped Hitomi into his arms, sprinting into the air as his wings unfurled. Hitomi let out a squeak of surprise and instinctively wrapped her arms around Van's neck. In moments they had reached the third story window, and Van ducked inside, depositing Hitomi safely back on her feet.
Regaining her senses, Hitomi opened her mouth to chastise Van, but he quickly silenced her with a pleading look.
"Okay," Hitomi sighed. "Just don't ever do that again without warning me!" she hissed.
Van nodded sheepishly after shrugging back into his shirt. Hitomi looked at him expectantly and Van twitched. He silently led Hitomi into the study adjacent to his chambers. Picking up a quill and parchment, Van began to scribble down an explanation. A large line of ink splayed across the parchment as Van was startled by a knock on his door. He momentarily panicked before grabbing Hitomi and dragging her into his bedchamber, shoving her in the large closet.
Van just made it back to his study as the door swung inward, scraping pottery pieces along with it. The guard looked at the pottery shards, then up at Van. Van stared back at him blankly, noticing the tray in his hands.
"I was told to bring you your dinner, Sire," the guard explained, stepping into the room. He placed the tray on Van's parchment strewn desk, nodding respectfully as he turned and left, shutting the door behind him.
Van let out a heavy sigh when the door clicked shut before scrambling to get Hitomi. When she stepped out of the large closet, Van cringed at her expression.
"It isn't bad enough that you bring me up here, forcing me to remain silent for god knows why, but then you unceremoniously shove me in a closet! On top of that... Ooooooh!" Hitomi cried. A resounding smack echoed through the room as Hitomi slapped Van. Van's eyes widened in shock as his hand flew to his cheek and he stumbled back a step.
"You, Van Fanel are in deep trouble," Hitomi warned, advancing towards him. Van continued to back away from her until he bumped into the wall.
"How could you?" Hitomi accused, poking Van in the chest, her voice wavering slightly. Van glanced uneasily at Hitomi's eyes and saw the tears she was attempting to hold back.
"I thought you... loved me... I guess I was a fool to ever believe you could love me. But... it still hurts Van. Why?" Hitomi asked, a few tears rolling down her face. Van lifted a wavering hand up to Hitomi's face, brushing away her tears. Pulling her into a hug, he shook his head, wishing that he could reassure her with comforting words.
Pulling back slowly from Hitomi, he lead her by the hand back to his study. Once there, he rooted around on his desk till he found the desired document. Van solemnly handed the letter he had received from the King of Eneis to Hitomi with sad eyes. Hitomi wiped her eyes on her sleeve, sniffling slightly as she began to read. When Hitomi reached the end, she glanced up at Van, who was seated at his desk, his head in his hands.
"Have-have you meet this princess yet?" Hitomi asked quietly. Van's head shot up at Hitomi's question and he shook his head no.
"I guess... I was wrong..."
Van nodded, handing her another piece of parchment. It read:
I wanted to try to explain it to you. I didn't mean for you to find out the way you did. I'm sorry.
"I---" Hitomi was cut off as the door to Van's study swung open violently.
"Your Highness!" Thomas cried, outraged. Van looked at his advisor standing outraged in the doorway. All color drained from Van's face and he swallowed convulsively. This was not going to be good...