Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ I'm amazed that so many people like this fic. I personally thought everyone was going to be like: Oh yeah. Blah. It's another one of those "Van's being forced into marriage" fics. Boring! So, thanks for your interest! Now I only hope I can keep it...
Disclaimer: Go ahead, rub it in. I'm waiting! Escaflowne yadda, yadda, you get he drift. It doesn't belong to me.
Bonds & Vows
Part IV
By: Penybright
Thomas glanced at Hitomi, taking in her rumpled appearance and look of distress. His gaze then shifted to Van, who looked rather pale at the moment.
"What," Thomas began angrily, "is going on here?"
Van looked at Hitomi pleadingly.
"It's not what you think," Hitomi said quickly. "We were just... talking."
Thomas raised a skeptical eyebrow at her explanation.
"How is that possible? Lord Van can not speak. He has indefinitely lost his voice due to and assassination attempt."
"Well, you have a point, but... Look, I don't know what's going on here. All I know is that I'm one of Van's very good friends, and I haven't seen him in years. Is it a crime to talk to your friends?"
"I'm sure that you are indeed very good... friends," Thomas replied skeptically. "Whether you're friends or not, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to stay away from Lord Van. We can't have anything jeopardizing the wedding. Now, I suggest you---"
Thomas was cut off as a piece of paper was suddenly shoved in his face. Taking the parchment, Thomas glanced over at a very unhappy Van.
You have gone too far Thomas. Hitomi is an honored guest in this palace. You will treat her with the proper respect. If she wants to talk to me, then she gets to talk to me. I've had just about enough of this!
Thomas looked at his king, then back down at what he had written.
"Sire..." Thomas sighed. "We will allow the... Lady Hitomi to speak with you, only if you are supervised. It's for your own good," Thomas finished, exiting the room before Van could do anything in protest.
As soon as the door shut, Van slumped into his chair dejectedly. He halfheartedly scribbled something on another piece of parchment, handing it to Hitomi.
I think you should go now.
Hitomi hesitated, seeing the worried state Van was in. He looked absolutely miserable, not that she felt any better about the situation, but... Surely there was a way for them to be together. They had already gone through so much.
Before leaving, Hitomi walked over to Van, enveloping him in a gentle hug.
"Everything will turn out all right," she reassured. Van nodded, hugging her back. On impulse, Hitomi kissed Van's forehead before quickly exiting the study.
Once Hitomi was gone, Van dragged himself to his bedchamber, flopping face first onto his bed. Maybe she was right. Maybe now that she was here things would turn out different. Van slowly drifted to sleep, pondering his troubled thoughts.
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>>> >>>>>
Van awoke the next morning feeling less than wonderful. His head ached, and his stomach felt queasy. He sat up quickly, and instantly regretted it. When the room ceased tilting at odd angles, Van cautiously stood up, slowly. He made his way to the closet, reaching inside and pulling out his robe. Cinching the belt at his waist, Van walked out into his study. Making his way over to his desk, he found a breakfast tray there with a stack of documents next to it.
'Another day in my room I suppose,' Van thought as he sighed, running a hand through his tousled obsidian locks.
Sitting down, Van took one look at the tray of food and instantly shoved it aside. He didn't think he could stomach anything the way he felt. While dragging the stack of documents closer to himself, the one on top caught his attention. He quickly snatched it up, breaking the seal and felt his heart sink to his stomach when he saw the scrolly writing.
King Van,
I suppose I should call you son now, shouldn't I? This letter is to inform you that my daughter and I will be arriving the day before the wedding. My daughter wishes to meet the "dashing young king" is I believe how she put it, who is to be her future husband.
Out entourage shall be arriving sometime around midday. I expect you to be there to greet us. Do not make a bad first impression... son.
King Vespan
After reading the letter, Van stood up while scribbling down instructions. Opening his door, he handed the letter and instructions to the guard. The guard nodded before walking down the hall. Van returned to his desk. Sitting back down, Van allowed his head to sink onto his desk as he sighed onerously.
There was a timid knock on Van's door, and his head shot up. He instantly groaned and winced at the sudden pain and dizziness. The door swung cautiously inward to reveal Hitomi. Van cringed when he saw her somber expression and puffy, bloodshot eyes. She had been crying again... because of him.
Hitomi smiled wanly.
"It's all right Van. I just... needed to come to grips with things," She explained seeing his distressed face.
"I came to tell you that Allen is here to see you."
Van seemed confused by her statement.
"You didn't know he was coming?"
Van shook his head.
"Anyway, he's down in the courtyard. I'll wait for you, and we can go down together. I don't think he's going to take the news well."
Van's shoulder's slumped, and he slowly rose from his seat. It was then that Hitomi noticed how pale and shaky he looked.
"Van, are you okay?" she asked, her concern evident. She walked over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder to turn him around. She had to steady him when he stumbled and almost fell.
"God Van, you can barely stand up!"
Looking into his eyes, she saw the fatigue and worry swimming in them. For the first time, her eyes caught on something. She suddenly noticed the blood stained gauze around Van's neck.
"Is... is that why you can't speak?" she whispered. Van swallowed and nodded.
"I think that maybe you---" Hitomi was cut of as Van shook his head and pulled away from her. Hitomi sighed, knowing that Van was going to be stubborn, no matter how much she tried to persuade him otherwise.
"Fine, I'll wait for you outside."
Van nodded again before stepping into his bedchamber and shutting the door softly behind him.
"Why does he always have to be so stubborn?" Hitomi asked herself, then answered her own question. "Because he's a king," she lamented.
~ Hmmm, how is Allen going to react when he finds out Van isn't marrying Hitomi? And, why is Van getting sick all of a sudden. I'll give you a clue, it's not because of the emotional and physical stress he's under.