Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bonds & Vows ❯ Bonds & Vows Part V ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ Uh, Allen shows up in this chapter for all you Allen fans. Oh, and there's a swear word in this chapter, for all those that need or like to be warned of such things. There's only one day left before the wedding... What is poor Van going to do?
Disclaimer: You know, these things are really annoying. Anyway, here goes. Escaflowne and it's characters etc., do not belong to me in any shape way or form.
Bonds & Vows
Part V
By: Penybright
When Van stepped out into the hallway, Hitomi noted that he didn't look quite as pale, though he still shook slightly.
"Shall we go?" she smiled, linking arms with him. Van glanced nervously at the people in the hallways as Hitomi dragged him along. Was she trying to get him in more trouble than he already was? No, she probably just didn't understand what such a simple action could mean in Fanelian court. He really should have someone explain everything to her, since he was unable to.
Van's spirits seemed to improve when he stepped outside. A little fresh air was a tremendous boon to him after being cooped up in his stuffy room. Of course, it didn't help to calm his nerves any. He knew that Allen would probably try to kill him when he found out Van wasn't marrying Hitomi. Why did Allen have to be like an overprotective brother to Hitomi, a very dangerous overprotective brother? On the other hand, if Allen did kill him, then... No, that would only make matters worse.
"Allen!" Hitomi cried, giving her friend a hug. Allen smiled when Hitomi pulled back, looking at the couple before him.
"So, you finally got the courage to ask her?" Allen teased Van. His smile quickly disappeared when he saw Van's ashamed face.
"What's the matter? Having second thoughts about me being your best man?" Allen said, trying to lighten the mood.
"Allen... I think we should talk somewhere private. Why don't we go to the gardens," Hitomi suggested quietly. Allen nodded, not liking where this conversation was going to lead.
Once they were safely in the garden, and out of earshot of any nosy passerby, Hitomi turned to face Allen. Her expression was grim as she took a deep breath and told him the truth.
"Van's not marrying me Allen."
"What?!" he sputtered, incredulous.
"He's marrying someone else. A princess from somewhere called Eneis."
Allen's disbelief quickly turned to anger when he saw Hitomi's sad face. She looked absolutely miserable. Allen was upset enough that he decided to take his anger out on the cause of Hitomi's distress.
"You bastard," Allen whispered lowly, his hands wrapping around Van's neck. Van's eyes widened in pain and surprise as Allen began to squeeze, lifting Van's feet several inches from the ground.
Van's fingers clawed at Allen's hands as he began to panic. He couldn't breath, and the pain was almost unbearable. Fire and ice scorched through his neck and throat, searing it. Hitomi noticed Van's panic, and instantly came to his aide.
"Allen! Allen stop it! He's hurt. You're killing him!" Hitomi cried while attempting to drag her friend away from Van. Allen relented grudgingly, dropping Van to the ground. Van stumbled to his knees, wheezing horribly as he coughed up blood.
Hitomi glared at Allen before running to Van's side. She noted with dread, that the gauze on Van's neck was now soaked through with blood. Taking the hem of her skirt, she shredded some of it into long strips. Hitomi then began to gently undo the bloody gauze from Van's neck. His hand painfully gripped her free wrist as she worked. She could only imagine the kind of pain he was feeling at the moment.
Once Hitomi had Van bandaged up, she cradled him in her arms and turned to glare at Allen.
"It's not his fault he's marrying someone else. He's being forced into it, and they're using his people's lives as leverage," Hitomi explained. "They even tried to kill him!" Hitomi exclaimed. "And you almost finished the job for them," she accused.
"I'm... sorry," Allen apologized, kneeling beside Van. "I didn't know about... your neck. I guess I should have given you a chance to explain," he sighed.
Hitomi smiled slightly.
"I would have liked to see him try to explain," she chuckled. Allen looked at her questioningly.
"He can't speak," Hitomi explained, glancing at Van, who seemed to be breathing a bit easier.
"He can't talk? Well, he never was that much of a talker anyway," Allen pointed out, earning a semi-glare from Van.
"True, Van never was one for words. I guess---"
The conversation was cut short as several guards rushed into the garden, two of Van's advisors trailing behind. Without a word of explanation, Van was hauled to his feet. One of the advisors wove his way through the guards to Van.
"Ah, I see that Sir Allen has arrived. Good. Lord Van, I believe you have an important guest arriving today. You need to get ready to greet her."
Van looked like he wanted to flee in terror, but he had nowhere to go. He reluctantly allowed himself to be led back to his chambers. Hitomi and Allen watched him go, feeling pity for the young king.
"I don't like this," Allen commented. "Something just doesn't seem right."
"I know what you mean. Somehow, I don't think that Van's supposed to last very long after the wedding. This King Vespan person seems to hold nothing but ill will towards Van."
"I guess that means that we'll have to watch his back."
"You'll have to watch his back," Hitomi corrected. "I'm not allowed near him without supervision."
<<<<<<<<<<*>>>> >>>>>>
Van stood in the courtyard with guards flanking either side of him, and his advisors to the rear. He fidgeted with the stiff formal garment he was wearing, tugging at the high collar of his shirt and trying not to wince at the pain it caused. He wanted nothing more than to escape to the solitude of the gardens. At this rate, he was even willing to accept the solitude of his stuffy room.
As the sun glared down mercilessly on the young king, he clenched his jaw and forced himself to stand steadily. No one else seemed to notice how pale he was, or how every so often he would waver and try to regain his composure. Perhaps they didn't care. Or maybe they just thought he was nervous. No, Van wasn't nervous, he was just awaiting his fate with absolute dread.
There was a shout from the gate, and Van steeled himself. This was it. He was going to meet his bride today. He was also going to meet the king who had sent someone to almost kill him. Today was going to be one of the longest days of his life. He knew tomorrow would be even worse. Tomorrow he would be forced to marry a woman he barely knew and didn't love.
'Hiotmi...' Van sighed inwardly as a carriage approached.
~ Oh, Van's finally going to meet the king and his daughter. What do you think she'll be like?